Miscellaneous Suffolk County, New York Obituaries - 2002


First Name:
Last Name:
Helen R. Cunningham
Helen Cunningham died in her sleep at her home on Shelter Island on Saturday, March 31, 2001. She was born on September 23, 1910, in Pelham, New York, and grew up in Westchester County. Helen attended Smith College and continued to enjoy her College Club activities. She met and married "Tate" Cunningham in 1933; they moved to Shelter Island in 1969, where they were very active in the Historical Society and other Island organizations until Tate's death in 1980. Helen was a lifetime member of the Historical Society, a regular at St. Mary's duplicate bridge group and a good neighbor to many. Helen will be remembered by all who knew her as an intelligent, kind and gracious lady, strong in both mind and heart. Helen and Tate shared a lifelong interest in houses and antique furniture. As newlyweds, they hand-built a home in Armonk, New York, where they raised a family. But Helen always wanted to live by the sea, so upon retirement, they bought land and built a waterfront home in New Suffolk. Wanting a bigger challenge, they "adopted" the Peter Nostrum house, one of Shelter Island's grand old ladies, at that time much in need of repair. They had a wonderful time renovating that house and surrounding it with Helen's rose gardens and Tate's orchards. After Tate's death, Helen moved to a small Heights cottage and oversaw a skillful restoration. Her little flower garden there was much admired by passersby. Helen will be missed by her daughter, Carol Young of Little Compton, Rhode Island; her son and daughter-in-law, Joe and Christina Cunningham of Shelter Island; her grandchildren, Hamilton Young, Natasha Cunningham and Thomas Cunningham and her great grandchildren Henry and Aidan Cunningham-Walsh and Owen Cunningham. Contributions in Helen's memory can be made to the Shelter Island Library or the Historical Society. Her family invites her friends to help them celebrate her life at a reception at 2 Chase Avenue in the Heights on Saturday, April 7, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Patience L. P. Webb
Patience L'Hommedieu Prime Webb passed away at home in Amherst, New Hampshire on April 2, 2001 after a long battle with cancer. She was the wife of Rev. Henderson Webb of Amherst, who survives her, and the daughter of the late Sylvester G. Prime of Shelter Island and the late Jacqueline Cartier Prime of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. She is also survived by her sisters, Mary Gardiner Peet of Shelter Island and Laurette deTousard Prime of St. Thomas and numerous nieces and nephews.

Mary Coleman Sherman
Mary (May) Coleman Sherman, formerly of Shelter Island and Georgetown, South Carolina, died on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at Bristol Glen in Newton, New Jersey. She was 91. She and her husband, the Honorable Chester D. Sherman, had been living at Plantation Village, a life-care retirement community in Wilmington, North Carolina. The daughter of Thomas A. and Mary Mackey Coleman, Mrs. Sherman was born in Astonia, New York on October 1, 1910. She graduated from Bryant High School and attended the City College of New York. Prior to her marriage, she was employed by the Connecticut Exchange Bank and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. Mr. and Mrs. Sherman spent most of their married lives on Shelter Island, either in their summer cottage, from 1941 to 1951, or at their year-round house, from 1951 to 1984, after which they moved to Wedgefield Plantation in Georgetown, South Carolina where they had a winter condo since 1974. Active in community affairs, Mrs. Sherman served as elder and clerk of the Session of the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church and was membership chairman of the Garden Club of Shelter Island for several years. She served as secretary of the Women's Community Club and treasurer of the Republican Club and was a secondary school teacher and Cub Scout den mother. Her husband was a Shelter Island Town Justice. In Georgetown, Mrs. Sherman was a volunteer in the gift shop of Georgetown Memorial Hospital and vice president of the Winyah Bay Garden Club. She was a member of the Georgetown Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Sherman was a member of the Gardiner's Bay Country Club while she lived on Shelter Island and the Wedgefield Country Club in Georgetown. After moving to Wilmington, she became a member of St. Andrews Convenant Presbyterian Church. Mrs. Sherman is predeceased by a brother, Thomas B. Coleman, and a daughter, Mary Hope Sherman, and by her husband of 65 years, who died in 1996. She is survived by a son, Chester Coleman Sherman of Kenbridge, Virginia, and two daughters, Dorothy Welch of Sparta, New Jersey and Catherine Owens of Anderson, Alabama, as well as seven grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Mrs. Sherman's son-in-law, the Reverend Dr. H. Alden Welch, will conduct a graveside service on Sunday, March 3 at 12 noon in the Shelter Island Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to Bristol Glen, 200 Woodside Avenue, Newton, New Jersey 07860. Expressions of sympathy may be sent to Dorothy S. Welch, 126 Wagon Wheel Road, Sparta, New Jersey 07871.

Jean Ritchie Dingerson
Jean Ritchie Dingerson, 72, of Rochester, New York, died of cancer on January 31, 2002, at her summer home in Grand Isle, Vermont. She was born in Providence, Rhode Island, the daughter of Russell E. and Virginia W. Ritchie, and grew up in Bellerose, Long Island. In 1950 she graduated from the University of Vermont with a major in political science. She worked for the Secretary General of the United Nations in New York City before marrying William Dingerson in 1952. The couple lived in Philadelphia and Chicago prior to settling in Rochester in l956. The Ritchie family built their home on Ram Island in 1956. Enthusiastic birdwatchers and hikers, the Dingersons traveled to Ireland, England, France, Russia and Costa Rica and made frequent trips to visit their grandchildren in San Francisco and Washington, D.C. Mrs. Dingerson is survived by her husband, their three children, Ann of San Francisco (with her husband Kevin Corkery); Leigh of Washington, D.C. (with her husband Tom Israel); and Scott of Rochester (with his partner Andrea Fornalik); and by her sister Celia Ann Ritchie of New York City. Four grandchildren will also hold her in their fondest memories: Kelsey and Teagan Corkery and Emma and Abbie Israel. Interment will take place at a later date in Burlington, Vermont. Those who wish may make a contribution in Mrs. Dingerson's name to a charity of their choice.

Mary Katherine Devlin
Mary Katherine Devlin, 49, of North Midway Road, former clerk of the Shelter Island School District and an elder in the Presbyterian Church, died at University Hospital in Stony Brook on Thursday, August 15, 2002. The cause was heart failure as a result of end-stage lupus. Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Ms. Devlin spent her childhood in New Jersey, Ohio and other locations as her father, a government agent whose resume included service with the FBI, changed bases. A graduate of Mt. Saint Dominic's Academy in Caldwell, New Jersey, Ms. Devlin moved to Shelter Island with her children in 1984 after a divorce. For a time, she worked as a florist in Greenport but moved on to the Suffolk Times, where she eventually became classified advertising manager. She began working for the Shelter Island School District in 1994 and remained district clerk until she stepped down for health reasons in May, 2001. Her resignation was accepted with "sincere regret" by the School Board. Ms. Devlin at the time described her work as the job she had liked most of all. At her funeral service on Monday, the Rev. William Grimbol of the First Presbyterian Church said that Ms. Devlin "would do anything to be a part and participate." Ms. Devlin is survived by her parents, Patricia and James Devlin of Shelter Island; her children, Reverend Justin I. Schlesinger-Devlin of Trinidad, Colorado and Rhiannon D. Devlin of Shelter Island; two brothers, Christopher Devlin of Shelter Island and Andrew Devlin of Estero, Florida, and a grandchild, Delaney Frances Schlesinger-Devlin of Trinidad, Colorado. A funeral service was conducted on Monday, August 19 at the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church with the Reverend Grimbol, assisted by Father Charles Dougherty, officiating. Interment was at Our Lady of the Isle Roman Catholic cemetery.

Viola Adele Southwood
Former Shelter Island resident Viola Adele Southwood, wife of the late Arnold Southwood, died on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 in Hilton Head, South Carolina. She was 87 years of age. Born in Brooklyn, the future Mrs. Southwood was crowned Miss Whitestone while in her 20s. She always loved life and lived to see the building of the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges as well as the Long Island Expressway when Long Island was more farms than residential housing. From her youth, she loved boating and was a member of the New York Yacht Club, the Freeport Yacht Club and later the Shelter Island Yacht Club. She and her late husband, Arnold, were insurance brokers in West Hempstead, where they lived for 35 years. There she served as past worthy matron of the Masonic Eastern Star and as past patron of the Masonic Lodge. They moved to Shelter Island and sold their boat for golf clubs. She was an active member of the Gardiner's Bay Country Club, where she boasted of having golfed 365 days of the year when rain, snow or storm would not stop her. At each residence, Viola and her husband enjoyed serving as volunteers at local hospitals. After her husband's death, Viola moved to Tidepoint on Hilton Head, South Carolina where she continued to enjoy her water views and golf. At 87, her electric scooter could be seen everywhere. She was often reprimanded for speeding. She will be missed by her daughters and sons-in-law: Hope and Walter Hagen of Hauppauge; Gail and Andy Twisdale of Hilton Head; Lynn and Burnell Hohl of New Canaan, Connecticut; as well as nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Memorials may be made to Hospice Care of the Lowcountry, 20 Palmetto Parkway, Suite 104, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29926 or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 2800 Meeting Street, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29926. The Island Funeral Home and Crematory on Hilton Head Island is in charge of arrangements.

Henry Morgan Wilson
Henry "Hank" Morgan Wilson died on July 30, 2002 at Tisch Hospital, New York University Medical Center in Manhattan. He was 69 years old. Mr. Wilson was born in Wantagh, New York in July 1933. After serving as a Navy Seabee assigned to French Morocco, he completed his engineering education and worked for the Hewlett-Packard Company both in New York and California. Later he developed his own business, which he operated for 25 years. A resident of Shelter Island for 20 years, his retirement allowed him more time to enjoy his home here and golfing at the Gardiner's Bay Country Club. He leaves his loving family: Marge, his wife of 48 years; two daughters, Margaret Ellen Hart of East Meadow and Jennifer Donovan and husband Steven of Oakdale; and three grandchildren, Michael, Christine and Steven. The Lutheran Service of Burial was held at St. John's Lutheran Church in Merrick on August 4, 2002. The family received friends following the service at his home in Merrick.

Robert W. McClean
Former resident Robert W. McClean died on Saturday, August 17, 2002. A memorial visitation will be held between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Friday, August 23, 2002 at the O.B. Davis Funeral Home, 4839 Nesconset Highway in Port Jefferson Station. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Burn Unit, Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook, New York 11794-7441.

Richard A. Edwards
Richard A. (Dick) Edwards, long-time Island resident and owner of the Dory, an Island landmark, died on December 10, 2002 after a prolonged struggle with cancer. He was 73. Mr. Edwards was born on December 21, 1929 in Brooklyn. He graduated from Poly Prep C.D. School in Brooklyn in 1948. He had an outstanding record of achievement while at Poly, earning distinction in football, wrestling and track. He was the president of his senior class and president of the school's Honor Society. He graduated from Williams College in 1952. While at Williams, he was president of his fraternity and a member of the Air Force R.O.T.C. He won the New England intercollegiate heavyweight wrestling championship. Following his graduation from Williams, he entered the Air Force flight program, earning his wings and spending the balance of his tour of duty flying F-86 Sabrejets in the American Defense Command. His last assignment was at Stewart Air Force Base in Newburgh. Older residents of Shelter Island may recall one of the several times he flew his jet over the Island on a training mission. Islander David Huschle, Mr. Edwards's friend for more than 50 years, remembers an incident in the mid-50s involving the young jet aviator. "While flying over New York, at night, he unwillingly found himself a member of the 'Caterpillar Club,'" named for the caterpillar silk from which parachutes were made then. This was "a unique association of aviators who are forced to bail out of a stricken aircraft. The story was front-page news in the New York Herald Tribune and the Daily News." In 1950-51, he remembers, they "worked together on the infamous lima bean machines," as part of the Shelter Island Farmers' Cooperative. In the mid-60s, after leaving the Air Force, Mr. Edwards owned and operated a restaurant and bar in New York City, just off Lexington Avenue. The name of the establishment was, not surprisingly, Dick Edwards. It was during this time that he and a friend of his, also a summer resident of the Island, bought a small plane and attempted to start a weekend commuter business between New York City and the eastern end of Long Island. The Shelter Island terminus was Frank Klen's Shelter Island International Airport. The business survived for several years until the partners decided to sell the aircraft. Having spent the first 40 or so of his summers on Shelter Island, Mr. Edwards decided it would be a good place to make his year-round home. In the late 1970s he moved to the Island on a permanent basis, built a house overlooking Shelter Island Sound and became a full-time owner and operator of the Dory Restaurant in the Heights. His brother Bob commented that Dick acquired the Dory for exactly the same reason he had bought the restaurant in New York -- he spent much of his non-working and leisure time at the bars in these establishments and decided that instead of the money flowing from his pocket across the bar he would buy the place and reverse the direction of the flow. Mr. Edwards never married but he lived a full and eventful life. "He was strong willed and held strong opinions on many subjects," his family said, "but his many friends both on and off the Island will remember him as a loyal and generous friend. His family and friends will miss him and will share fond memories of the many good times shared with him." Bob Edwards wrote that the family particularly wanted to thank Tricia and Jim Lenzer "for all the love, care and affection they afforded to Dick during the past few months. Words can never express our appreciation for all they did." Mr. Edwards was predeceased by his parents, Gordon L. and Maie Edwards, formerly of Brooklyn and Dering Harbor, and is survived by his brother Gordon R. (Bob) Edwards and his sister-in-law Nancy L. Edwards, both of Houston, Texas. He is also survived by two nieces, Sharon L. Edwards of Atlanta, Georgia and Susan Bopp of Houston; his nephew, Dr. Gordon W. Edwards of Houston; and three grand-nieces and one grand-nephew. Funeral arrangements are in the care of the DeFriest-Grattan Funeral Home on Shelter Island. A memorial service will be held at St. Mary's Episcopal Church on Shelter Island on January 11, 2003 at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Mary's or a charity of the donor's choice.

Jan Garis
Jan Russell Garis of Cheyenne, Wyoming; Nantucket, Massachusetts; and Hatfield, Pennsylvania; and a former employee of the Dering Harbor Inn, died Tuesday, November 19, 2002 in Cheyenne. He was 50. Born in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, he was the son of Doris (Grasse) Gans of Wyomissing, Pennsylvania and the late Russell E. Garis. He was a 1970 graduate of North Penn High School in Lansdale, Pennsylvania and a 1975 graduate of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A resort and hotel manager, Mr. Garis was employed by the Quality Inn in Cheyenne at the time of his death. In the 1980s, he worked for several years as part of the management team at the Dering Harbor Inn. His career included hotels on Nantucket, in the British West Indies, Middletown, Virginia and in Michigan and Ohio. Mr. Garis is survived by his mother and his sister Jane Rebecca Garis of Reading, Pennsylvania. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Friends Service Committee, 1501 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102.

Helen Ledgerwood Davis
Helen Ledgerwood Davis, a full-time resident of Hilo since she and her husband, the Reverend Lewis H. Davis, retired to their Shelter Island home in 1967, died, after a brief illness, of heart failure at Eastern Long Island Hospital on December 11, 2002. She was 99. An artist who worked in several mediums and painted 18 hope chests on separate themes for her children and grandchildren, Mrs. Davis served with her husband throughout his career in seven Methodist pastorates in New York and Connecticut, including two on Long Island: Bellport (1933-1934) and Cutchogue (1934-1939). The Reverend Davis, who died 19 years ago at the couple's Shelter Island home, also served for a time as interim pastor at the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church. As a self-employed artist, Mrs. Davis made quilts, hooked rugs, drew Shelter Island scenes, worked in oils, watercolor, ink and colored pencils and decorated furniture. In a homily presented by her son-in-law Robert W. Howard at the December 14 funeral for Mrs. Davis at the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church, he spoke of message from Mrs. Davis's niece sent upon learning of her passing. She "saluted Helen for her graciousness and her artistry. She also remembered her waste-not, want-not principle, born, I suspect, from a childhood in a family with little enough means, a bias accentuated by her later years as the wife of a preacher during the Depression." Born August 25, 1903 in Sandborn, Indiana, Mrs. Davis moved with her family when she was a young child to South Pasadena, California, where she grew up. She earned a B.A. degree at Los Angeles Campus of UCLA and went on to Teacher's College of Columbia University in New York, where she earned her master's degree and met her future husband, a student at nearby Union Theological Seminary, on a blind date. They were married November 1, 1932 at Union Seminary's Lampman Chapel. The Reverend Davis, who was from Amityville, was a sailor and one highlight of their life together came early: a six-month cruise after their marriage on a 36-foot motorsail out of Greenport. They were reported lost at sea in a gale off Cape Hatteras "that had everyone, including The New York Times, wondering about their safety," according to her son-in-law Mr. Howard, and continued on to tour the Caribbean, where after six months they shipwrecked on a coral reef off Cuba. They returned home by way of a sugar boat and began their 35 years of professional life. They served Methodist pastorates in the Connecticut towns of Seymour, Torrington, Bristol and Stamford as well as in Brooklyn and Dobbs Ferry, New York. After they retired to Shelter Island, the Reverend Davis was a frequent preacher at the Presbyterian Church, a tenor in the choir and an "unofficial pastor" to many Island families, according to his son-in-law, who is retired pastor of Grace United Methodist Church in Valley Stream. Mrs. Davis is survived by her children Barbara Davis Howard and Eleanor Davis Tener of West Hartford, Connecticut, and Donald Ward Davis of Portchester, New York. She is also survived by eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by two brothers, Charles and Kenneth Ledgerwood, and a sister, Evelyn Bishop. Services on December 14 at the Presbyterian Church were officiated by Pastor Bill Grimbol.

Louis Studer
Louis Studer, 95, of East Charleston, Vermont and Shelter Island, died peacefully on December 7, 2002 in the Bel Aire Nursing Home in Newport Center, Vermont. While summering on Shelter Island, he designed and created the logo for the Shelter Island Country Club (Goat Hill Golf Course), which is the logo currently used by the club. The legacy of his original poems, memoirs, works of art, jewelry and recipes will live on, a family member commented. Mr. Studer graduated from the master's program of the Fine Arts Academy in Rome, Italy. In 1928 he relocated to the United States, founded and was president of Consolidated Engravers of New York City where his knowledge of art was applied to commercial endeavors. After recuperating from a massive heart attack in 1955, he returned to Rome where he established and was CEO of Leoni and Studer, a new Fiat automobile dealership in Frascati, which served 18 surrounding towns. He was predeceased by his wife Rita of Jessup, Pennsylvania and his son-in-law Richard Butler of Shelter Island. He is survived by his daughter, Linda Butler of Shelter Island; his grandson Major Chris Butler, his wife Julie and three grandchildren residing in Arizona; his son Bruno Studer and wife Linda of East Charleston, Vermont, their four children and seven great-grandchildren. A private service will be held for family members in Venice, Florida on December 21. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a local hospice chapter or St. Gabriel's Retreat Center.

Harman Hawkins
Harman Hawkins died on Tuesday, December 17, 2002, at his home on Shelter Island. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, December 21 at 1 p.m. at St. Mary's Episcopal Church with a reception to follow. The family requests that any donations be made to the Shelter Island Educational Foundation, the Shelter Island Public Library or Mashomack Preserve.

Mabel Harriet Beckwith
Mabel Harriet Beckwith died surrounded by her family on December 5, 2003 at the age of 89. The daughter of Charles and Edna (née Jennings) Fisher, she was a harelegger, born on Shelter Island on October 5, 1914 and lived her entire life and raised her family here. Mrs. Beckwith opened her home and her heart to others and always had a hot meal ready to feed them, said her family. She worked locally and her last employment was as the cook at the Belle Crest Adult Home on Shelter Island. Her interests were her grandchildren, cooking, writing poetry and rug hooking. She was an avid reader and always had a crossword book at her side. She embroidered something special for each granddaughter and her crocheted potholders, which hang in every family member's kitchen, are a reminder that she would be always watching over their baking and cooking. She also loved nature and enjoyed watching the sunset at Crescent Beach. Mrs. Beckwith was predeceased by her sisters Iris Baumann, Evelyn Fisher and her former husband Frank R. Beckwith. She is survived by her sister Beatrice Conklin of Landrum, South Carolina and her five children: Frank Jr. of Cove City, North Carolina; Charlotte Perez of Lawton, Oklahoma; and Diane Kilb, Charles Beckwith and Melanie Mitchell of Shelter Island. She also is survived by her 11 grandchildren: Cathy Cheesman, Christina Church, Cindy Arnold, Rebecca Mundy, Sharon Gibbs, Karen and Theresa Kilb, Michelle and Stanley Beckwith, Ronald Mitchell Jr. and Rhonda Lee Burns as well as her 16 great-grandchildren. The funeral service was conducted on Wednesday, December 10 at St. Mary's Episcopal Church by the Reverend Alan Krauss. Interment was at the Emily French Memorial Cemetery. The family requests donations be made to the American Red Cross Ambulance Fund, P.O. Box 830, Shelter Island, New York 11964 or St. Mary's Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 1660, Shelter Island, New York, 11964.

Helen E. S. Oliver
Helen Elizabeth Steffen Oliver passed away on Monday, December 8, 2003. Funeral arrangements were not available by press time. Calling the Shelter Island Funeral Home at 749-2212 for information.

John Gambling
New York radio host John A. Gambling of Boca Grande, Florida and formerly of New York and Shelter Island died on January 8, 2004 in Venice, Florida after a short illness. He was 73. Mr. Gambling and his wife Sally became permanent residents of Boca Grande 13 years ago, after his retirement from WOR radio, where he had been the host of "Rambling with Gambling" for 32 years. Mr. Gambling was the second of three generations of Gamblings over 75 years to appear on WOR-AM radio. His news and talk show became the longest running program in history and a model for morning programming on radio and television. He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2000. His father, John B. Gambling, started with WOR in 1925. When he retired in 1959, his son took over the program. He was succeeded in 1990 by his son, John R. Gambling, who was host until the program was discontinued in 2000. John Alfred Gambling was born in Manhattan on February 5, 1930. He grew up in Manhattan and Massapequa, where his family had a summer home and where he began his lifelong love of sailing. He married the former Sally Loppacker in 1949 and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1951. He served on many boards, most recently at Mystic Seaport and the Mashomack Preserve, where he was chairman from 1994 to 1997. He and his wife were members of the Shelter Island Yacht Club and Gardiner's Bay Country Club. In addition to his wife of 54 years, he is survived by his son, John R. Gambling of Locust Valley; daughters Ann Gambling Hoffman of Bedford and Sarah Gambling McGayhey of Shelter Island; and seven grandchildren including Christopher Gambling McGayhey and Elizabeth Ann McGayhey of Shelter Island. Memorial services were held in Boca Grande and New York City. Those who wish to make donations in Mr. Gambling's memory may send them to GICIA Land Conservancy, P.O. Box 446, Boca Grande, Florida 33921.

Andrew DiVincenzo
Andrew P. DiVincenzo, 52, died in his sleep on Sunday, January 25, 2004 in his home in Buffalo, New York. Island residents will remember Mr. DiVincenzo from his years here as the chef of Clamdiggers at the Chequit and later Clamdiggers at the Cook on Grand Avenue. At the time of his death, Mr. DiVincenzo was the owner of Billy Ogden's. He was active in numerous charitable groups, including Taste of the NFL, Kids Escaping Drugs, Food Bank of Western New York, Camp Good Days and Hospice. A native of Buffalo, Mr. DiVincenzo graduated from School 43 and Kensington High School and attended Buffalo State College. In the 1970s, before launching his culinary career, Mr. DiVincenzo, who was a trumpeter, was road manager for the British rock band Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Following in the footsteps of his father, Mariano "Andy" DiVincenzo and mother, Viola, he operated restaurants and catering businesses in New York City, Shelter Island and Phoenix before returning to Buffalo in 1989 to open Billy Ogden's in a former tavern at William and North Ogden streets. Mr. DiVincenzo, whose daughter from his first marriage lived in Buffalo, and whose second wife had just given birth to a girl, "thought it was time to come home and build roots for his family," his sister said. The restaurant will continue under Mr. DiVincenzo's wife, the former Eleanor C. Wilson, and brother, Frank. Survivors in addition to his wife, mother, a sister and brother include two daughters, Tara of Washington, D.C., and Adrianna, who lives at home. A Mass of Christian Burial took place on Thursday, January 29 at St. Agnes Catholic Church with burial in Holy Sepulcher Cemetery, Cheektowaga.

New York Obituary Links

Marriage Search Engines



Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: