Miscellaneous Cumberland County, Maine Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:

Monday, October 4, 1999

Harold O. Main 
owned used car business, liked to tinker 
BOOTHBAY Harold O. Main, 77, died Sunday at his home.
He was born in Wiscasset, a son of Wesley and Elizabeth Day Main, and attended Wiscasset schools.
He moved to Boothbay and started Dover's Used Cars and Parts in the early 1960s. He retired a couple of years ago.
His interests included building things, hunting and tinkering in his yard.
His wife, Eleanor F. Main, died in 1995.
Surviving are four sons, Philip J. of Edgecomb, Gary N. of Bath, Neal R. of Boothbay and Charles R. of Woolwich; three brothers, Richard of Boothbay, Frank of Boothbay Harbor and John of Southport; three sisters, Margaret Whittier of Winterport, Alice Plummer and Betty Wylie, both of Boothbay; six grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
A visiting hour will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Simmons, Harrington and Hall Funeral Home. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Evergreen Cemetery. 

Robert Eddy Suminsby 
active in civic affairs, Scouting 
MOUNT DESERT Robert Eddy Suminsby, 67, of Northeast Harbor died Saturday at his home after a brief illness.
He was born in Otter Creek, a son of Howell K. and Virgie Eddy Suminsby, and graduated from Gilman High School, Northeast Harbor in 1950, and from the University of Maine in 1958.
He married the former Kathryn Knowles on Nov. 15, 1957.
He joined the Knowles Co. in 1958, first working in the appraisal field and later as a real estate broker. Twelve years later, he ran the appraisal business, and in 1972 he and his wife purchased the Knowles Co. He continued to work as a real estate broker and appraiser until the sale of the business in 1994.
He was chairman of the Mount Desert Island School Board for many years, was a trustee of the College of the Atlantic, moderated town meetings, served for the past five years as selectman for Mount Desert and participated in other civic organizations. 
Mr. Suminsby was appointed to the first Land for Maine's Future Board, where he served for 10 years and was a longtime advisor of Maine Coast Heritage Trust and Nature Conservancy. He was a scoutmaster and was recognized with the Silver Beaver award for his longtime service.
During his retirement, he did extensive research on the early settlers of Mouth Desert Island.
Surviving are his wife of Northeast Harbor; a daughter, Bethany Suminsby Reynolds of Ellsworth; two sons, Robert Eddy Jr., and Jerome Howell of Northeast Harbor; a brother, John, of Wenham, Mass.; a sister, Harriet Petraitis of Canton Center, Conn.; and three grandsons.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. Mary's by the Sea, Northeast Harbor, with the Rev. Charlene Alling officiating. Arrangements are by Fernald Funeral Chapel.

Kenneth W. Fone 
W.R. Grace employee for 36 years
DENMARK Kenneth W. Fone, 63, formerly of Cohasset, Mass., died Saturday after a brief illness.
He was born and raised in Quincy, Mass., and was a 1953 graduate of North Quincy High School and a 1957 graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
He worked at W.R. Grace for 36 years, retiring in 1995. He held a number of sales and marketing management positions, most recently as the eastern regional sales manager for Grace construction products.
He was involved in a variety of construction industry associations, both locally and nationally. 
After retiring he moved here and became a member of the Denmark Lions Club. In 1998 he was voted "Lion of the Year" in recognition of his commitment to the Centennial Field Project. He was a lifelong supporter of local youth.
Surviving are his wife of 40 years, Suzanne Black Fone of Denmark; a son, Scott, of Bath; a daughter, Joanna Aman of Jacksonville, Fla.; and two grandchildren, Delaney and Zachary Fone, both of Bath.
A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Denmark Congregational Church.

Alfreda Guay 
fancy stitcher at Kesslen Shoe 
SACO Alfreda Guay, 85, of Hill Street died Sunday at Newton Center for Nursing Care in Sanford.
She was born in Biddeford, a daughter of Ulric and Amanda Boisvert Forest, and attended St. Andre's School.
She worked at Pepperell Manufacturing Co. in Biddeford for 10 years. She was also a fancy stitcher at Kesslen Shoe in Kennebunk for several years.
She enjoyed sewing.
Mrs. Guay was a communicant of Notre Dame de Lourdes Church.
Her husband, George Guay, died on January 24, 1990.
Surviving are a son, Normand G. Guay of East Waterboro; a daughter, Pauline Dalton of Arundel; a brother, Rudolph Forest of Kemp, Texas; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Cote Funeral Home, corner of Beach and James streets. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Notre Dame de Lourdes Church. Burial will follow in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Biddeford.

James C. McCarn 
Korean War veteran, Bronze Star recipient 
SANFORD James C. McCarn, 69, of Grammar Street died Saturday at Goodall Hospital.
He was born here, a son of Printess cqand Beatrice Hall McCarn, attended local schools and graduated from Sanford High School.
Mr. McCarn was an Army veteran of the Korean War and a recipient of the Bronze Star for meritorious service in combat.
He worked at Wasco in Sanford, retiring in 1995.
A golfer, he was a member of Sanford Country Club and served as a ranger there.
Surviving are his wife of 46 years, Gabrielle Charpentier McCarn of Sanford; two sons, Mark C. of Sanford and Steven J. of Berwick; and two grandsons, Aaronjames cqand Cruz, both of Sanford.
Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at LaFrance-Lambert Funeral Home, 29 Winter St. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Holy Family Church. Burial will be in St. Ignatius Cemetery.

Mariette Montembeau 
made home crafts, custom-made drapes 
BIDDEFORD Mariette Montembeau, 76, of Hillside Avenue died Sunday at Kennebunk Nursing Center after a long illness.
She was born in Daveluyville, Quebec, a daughter of Elphege and Anna LeBlanc Marcotte, and attended Canadian schools.
She worked for six years in textile manufacturing in Drummondville, Quebec.
On Sept. 4, 1948, she married Eddie Roger Montembeau in Drummondville. They moved to the Biddeford area in 1948.
Mrs. Montembeau worked for 22 years at Pepperell Manufacturing Co. She also worked as a chef at Sweetser Home in Saco for 15 years, at St. Andre's Church Rectory for three years and lastly at St. Andre's Convent for two years.
She made home crafts and enjoyed sewing. Her specialty was custom-made drapes.
Her husband, Eddie Roger Montembeau, died Sept. 11, 1969.
Surviving are a daughter, Jeanne Montembeau of Biddeford; and two sisters, Irene Bergeron of Drummondville and Leda St. Onge of St. Bruno, Quebec.
Visiting hours will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. today cq at Hope Memorial Chapel, 480 Elm St. A funeral service will be announced on Tuesday at the funeral chapel. Burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Catherine G. Ingraham 
active in local politics; Westbrook reporter 
WINDHAM Catherine G. Ingraham, 57, of Montgomery Road died Sunday at a Portland hospital after a brief illness.
She was born in Portland, a daughter of Charles and Margaret Murphy Austin, and graduated from Catherine McAuley High School in Portland. She attended St. Joseph's College in Standish.
She was a homemaker.
She was active in local politics and was formerly involved with the Democratic party.
She was a reporter for the American Journal in Westbrook. She was a member of the Windham Parent Teach Association and a den mother for the Boy Scouts.
She enjoyed painting in oils.
For 36 years, she was married to Blair W. Ingraham Sr.
Surviving are a son, Blair W. Ingraham Jr. of Hampden; three daughters, Margaret Timmons of Windham, Diana Ingraham of Missouri, and Elizabeth Ray of Poland Spring; two sisters, Elizabeth Kidman of Old Orchard Beach and Ruth Ann Jaworsky of Missouri; and four grandchildren.
There are no visiting hours. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at Dolby Funeral Chapel, 434 River Road.

Jeanette Libby Farnum 
telephone operator; ran a beauty parlor 
NEW GLOUCESTER Jeanette Libby Farnum, 92, died Saturday at a Lewiston hospital.
She was born in Gray, a daughter of Herbert C. and Frances Thayer Libby, and attended Gray and Auburn schools, graduating from Edward Little High School in 1926.
She worked for Pine Tree Telephone Company as a operator for five years, and operated her own beauty parlor.
In 1931 she married H. Wilbur Farnum of New Gloucester. She lived in New Gloucester all of her married life. 
Mrs. Farnum was a 50-year member and past matron of the Golden Sheaf Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. She was also a member of First Congregational Church of New Gloucester, Congregational Church Ladies Circle and the Gray Senior Citizens. 
Her husband died in 1983. 
Surviving are a daughter, Elaine Joy of New Gloucester; two grandsons; Gregory and Timothy Joy, both of New Gloucester; a granddaughter, Benita Deschaine of Bangor; six great-grandchildren; and one great-great-grandchild. 
A funeral will be held 10 a.m. Tuesday at First Congregational Church, Gloucester Hill Road, New Gloucester. Arrangements are by Wilson Funeral Home, 24 Shaker Road, Gray. 

Sandra L. Cribby 
enjoyed travel; worked at Maine Med 
WESTBROOK Sandra L. "Sandy" Cribby, 50, of Declaration Drive died Sunday at Maine Medical Center following a brief illness.
She was born in Portland, a daughter of William I. and Irene E. Rand Palmer, attended Portland schools and was a graduate of Portland High School, class of 1967.
She worked at Maine Medical Center for 25 years and at the time of her death was in the Medical Records Department.
Mrs. Cribby was a member of the South Portland Church of the Nazarene.
Her hobbies included shopping and travelling, especially to Aruba.
Her husband, Donald R. Cribby, died in 1993.
Surviving are a daughter, Heather J. McPhail of Westbrook; three sisters, Mrs. Wilbur K. (Beverly) Cookson, Gloria J. Nichols and Margaret Cooper, all of Portland; two brothers, William I. Palmer of Scarborough and Brad Luce of Phillips; and a grandson, Brendan Richardson of Westbrook.
Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Jones, Rich and Hutchins Funeral Home, 199 Woodford St., Portland. A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at South Portland Church of the Nazarene, 525 Highland Ave. with the Rev. Arthur C. Magnuson and the Rev. John Parry officiating. Burial will follow in Highland Memorial Gardens. 

Lena H. Severance 
worked at Burnham and Morrill 
WINDHAM Lena H. Severance, 90, formerly of Falmouth and Westbrook, died Sunday at a local boarding home.
She was born here, a daughter of Howard M. and Mary Shaw Andrews, and attended local schools.
She retired from Burnham and Morrill Co. in 1973, after working there for 20 years.
She lived in Falmouth for many years, and was a member of the Tuttle Road United Methodist Church in Cumberland.
Her interests included needlework, cooking, gardening and being "Nanny" to her grandchildren.
A son, Earl D. Sawyer of Beverley Hills, Fla., died in 1998.
Surviving are three sons, Harvey E. Sawyer Jr. and Ernest C. Severance, both of Gorham, and Clifton K. Severance of Millinocket; a daughter, Arlene M. Ayers of Westbrook, a brother, Jesse H. Andrews of Portland; 28 grandchildren; 62 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Chase Funeral Home, 350 Maine St., Westbrook where a funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, with the Rev. Mark Alley officiating. Burial will follow in Woodlawn Cemetery, Westbrook. 

David M. Parquette 
teacher, soldier, coach 
SACO David M. Parquette, a dedicated teacher, father, husband and coach who served in the Persian Gulf War, died unexpectedly of a heart attack Saturday. He was 46.
Despite his imposing titles lieutenant colonel in the Maine National Guard, varsity basketball coach at Thornton Academy, All-American high school basketball player, supervisor of the Experiential Learning Pre-Vocational Program at Sweetser Children Services Mr. Parquette was a gentle man with an easy smile.
"He was popular, he was fun-loving," his brother-in-law, Carl Pendleton, said Sunday. "I was thinking today, we're going to miss him at Thanksgiving because he was instrumental in setting up our Thanksgiving dinner at the school. He really organized cooking up a half-dozen big turkeys and carving them up for the staff."
Mr. Parquette was popular at Thornton Academy, as well.
"The kids liked him because he set a standard for them to follow," another brother-in-law, Craig Pendleton, said Sunday. "This was going to be a special year because his son, Drew Parquette, and my brother's boy, Stuart, were going to play varsity ball for him. They're both very good athletes, and it was going to be very exciting to watch that."
Mr. Parquette, too, was looking forward to coaching his son and nephew, both of whom plan to honor him by competing this year.
"David was going to set the course for basketball to become a popular sport in Saco again," Craig Pendleton said. "From the time he could walk, he dribbled a basketball. That's what he wanted Saco to be like not just a football school he wanted basketball to be big."
Although Mr. Parquette was, as his brother-in-law recalled, happy-go-lucky, he had an intense side.
He served in the Maine National Guard for 26 years, and commanded the 3620th unit during the Persian Gulf War.
Even in the Persian Gulf, however, he thought of students. During his tour of duty, he corresponded with kindergartners in Maine, as well as with his son's second-grade class. After he returned, he visited students in each classroom, sharing his experiences in Saudi Arabia.
"He wanted to be the role model for his basketball players, his baseball players, his soldiers, his students," Craig Pendleton recalled.
Mr. Parquette was born in Augusta on Dec. 1, 1952, the son of Alonzo and Mary Fisher Parquette.
He graduated from Cony High School, and from the University of Maine at Farmington, where he excelled at baseball and basketball.
Mr. Parquette spent nine years after graduation working for Central Maine Power. From there, he went to work as a special education teacher at Sweetser in Saco.
As a Little League coach in Saco, he brought his all-star team to the District 4 championship in 1994. He coached freshman and junior varsity basketball at Thornton Academy and was recently appointed varsity coach.
He is survived by his wife of 24 years, Eslie Pendleton Parquette; a daughter, Alison, and a son, Drew, of Saco; three brothers, Franklin, of Gardiner, Robert, of Augusta and Michael, of Jefferson; two sisters, Patricia St. Pierre, of Topsham and Mary Dorothea, of Biddeford, an aunt, an uncle and many nephews, nieces and cousins.
Visiting hours will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the Dennett, Craig & Pate Funeral Home, 365 Main St., Saco. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday at Trinity Episcopal Church, Main Street, Saco. Burial will follow at Laurel Hill Cemetery. 

Monday, November 8, 1999

Toni Ladakakos 
owned Toni's Beauty Shop 
Toni Ladakakos, 81, who operated Toni's Beauty Shop in Old Orchard for 40 years, died Sunday from cancer. 
A tireless force in the Greek community, Mrs. Ladakakos helped raise money for the planned relocation of St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church from Biddeford to Saco. Her fund-raising tool: Greek pastries. 
Every year for the past 15 years, she led a team of more than a dozen women to cook pastries for fund-raising events. Her specialties were diples, a deep-fried honey roll, and Tiganithes, a fried bread. Both are unique to the Greek province where her parents were born. 
Mrs. Ladakakos was born in Rollinsford, N.H., and moved to Saco when she was a young girl. Her parents, George and Pota Mendros Rizeakos, worked in the Saco textile mills. 
Mrs. Ladakakos was largely self-educated. She was among the oldest in a family of 11 children. When she was in seventh grade, she quit school to work in the mills and help support the family.
"She lost her childhood to the mills in Saco," said her daughter, Carol L. Xanthopoulos of Saco. 
When government inspectors came to the factory, co-workers hid her in the bathroom, her daughter said. 
In 1942 she married George Ladakakos, who had worked as a professional wrestler in the 1930s and early 1940s and was known as "the Golden Greek." During World War II, he joined the Navy and they married shortly before he was transferred to the Pacific Theater. 
Mrs. Ladakakos worked in the textile mill at night so she could attend beautician school. In the early 1950s, she opened Toni's Beauty Shop on Old Orchard Street.
When she retired in 1994, the beauty shop closed. She made many lifelong friends at the shop, her daughter said. Even after she retired, many former customers continued to visit her home in Old Orchard's Kinney Shores neighborhood. 
Anna Zafirson, a family friend, said the house was a haven for anybody feeling lonely or who needed help.
"Her home was open 24 hours a day for whoever wanted to walk in and needed a warm, wonderful place to be in," she said. "Everyone felt like they were part of the family. Her heart was as big as the ocean outside her front door." 
George Ladakakos died in 1989. A daughter, Patricia L. Somerville, died in 1970.
Survivors include her daughter, Carol L. Xanthopoulos of Saco; three brothers; Harry Mendros of Norman, Okla., James Mendros of Kittery and John Mendros of Lewiston; two sisters, Vassie Caros and Dorothy Pappavasiliou, both of Saco; three grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. 
Visiting hours will be from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at Cote Funeral Home, 87 James St., Saco. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Biddeford. Burial will follow in St. Demetrios Cemetery.

Marie C. Macleod 
native of Presque Isle 
BANGOR Marie Caron Macleod, 87, died Sunday at a local nursing center.
She was born in Presque Isle, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Martin Caron.
Her husband, Clarence J. Macleod, died previously.
Surviving are two sons, Richard Macleod of Bangor and Lawrence Macleod of Marion Oaks, Fla.; a daughter, Jane Dolphin of Oakland, Calif.; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
A private family graveside service will be held in Booklawn Memorial Park, Portland. Arrangements are by Brookings-Smith, 133 Center St.

Beatrice B. Grant 
worked at Farnsworth Museum 
ROCKLAND Beatrice B. Grant, 86, died Wednesday at Camden Health Care Center after a long illness.
She was born in Friendship, a daughter of William E. and Genie O. Wotton Bramhall, and attended school in Friendship until the 10th grade, completing her education at Thomaston High School. She attended business college in Rockland for two years.
On August 9, 1933 she married Charles L. Grant in Friendship. Following her husband's teaching career, the couple lived in Bradley, Norridgewock and Boothbay before returning to this area in 1943. They lived several years on Union Street and Spruce Street, before moving to their Beech Street home.
She worked at Huston-Tuttle as secretary and doing job printing. For more than 25 years, she was an administrative assistant at Farnsworth Museum.
A member of Littlefield Memorial Baptist Church, Mrs. Grant served more than 23 years as church clerk and was past chairwoman of the Board of Deaconess. She served on most of the boards of the church and was a member of the Business and Professional Women, serving terms as both local and state president.
Her husband died on Sept. 21, 1990.
Surviving are one son, Lewis C. Grant of Rockland; two grandchildren, Peter W. Grant of Bath and Lisa Grant McCarthy of Sanford; and five great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours were held previously at Burpee-Strong Funeral Home, 110 Limerock St. A funeral service will be celebrated at 1 p.m. today at Littlefield Memorial Baptist Church, One Waldo Avenue with the Rev. Dr. Linwood Welch officiating. Burial will follow at Achorn Cemetery. 

Donald C. Estes 
logger, hunter, fisherman; enjoyed travel 
BRIDGTON Donald C. Estes, 77, died Saturday at Northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital following a brief illness.
He was born in Limington, a son of Percy and Annie Guptil Estes, and attended local schools.
He was a logger in West Baldwin and had worked for Limington Lumber Co. for many years.
Mr. Estes also worked at the Civilian Conservation Corps in Bridgton during the 1930s.
He was a hunter and fisherman. He traveled and was a member of the Good Sam's Club.
His first wife, Beulah Smith, died in 1973 and his second wife, Elizabeth Warren, died in 1992.
Surviving are a son, David A. of Baldwin; a daughter, Sharon L. LeGoff of Denmark; a stepson, Gerald E. Anthony of New Hampshire; two brothers, Gerald and Nelson, both of Limington; two sisters, Arlene Greenwood of Waldoboro and Marion Douglas of Casco; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Raymond-Wentworth Funeral Home, 8 Elm St. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.

Venetia L. Philpot 
teacher, garden club member 
WINDHAM Venetia L. Philpot, 79, of Oak Lane died Saturday in a Yarmouth health care facility.
She was born in Westbrook, a daughter of George R. and Alice Hasey Stevens, and attended Portland schools. She was a 1938 graduate of Deering High School. She also attended the former Northeastern Business College of Portland and graduated in 1931.
She was a school teacher for many years in Kennebunkport, Corinna and Windham. She also did substitute teaching in Windham, Standish and Raymond. Following this, she was secretary to the Windham High School principal, until her retirement in 1979.
She worked with Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts and the Windham Parents Teachers Association. She was a member and one of the original founders of Lang-O-Lake Garden Club and a member of the Rebekah's, Raymond Python Sisters and Gorham White Shrine.
She was a life member and past patron of the Evangeline Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and while matron, she instituted the Windham Rainbow Girls.
She enjoyed traveling, camping, riding, knitting, crocheting, crafts, playing the piano and organ and studying genealogy.
Surviving are her husband of 56 years, Pete H. Philpot of Windham; a son, Raymond H. Philpot of Windham; two daughters, Gaye F. Whitney of Windham and Jenie A. Philpot of Corinth; eight grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.
A visiting hour will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Tuesday at Dolby Funeral Chapel, 434 River Road where a service will follow at 2 p.m. with the Rev. Philip Shearman officiating. Burial will follow in Dolley Cemetery.

Dorothy F. Beaulieu 
Eucharist minister; enjoyed music, reading 
SPRINGVALE Dorothy F. Beaulieu, 73, of Pleasant Street died Friday at Goodall Hospital in Sanford.
She was born in Berlin, N.H., a daughter of Henry and Lillian Cropley Gilbert, and attended schools in Berlin and Gilman, Vt.
For many years she worked with home health care and was a Eucharist minister for people at their homes. She was a member of the Alter Society at St. Ignatius Church of Sanford.
She enjoyed music and reading.
Surviving are her husband, Ernest J. Beaulieu of Springvale; two sons, Bruce of Buxton and Roderick of Sanford; a brother, Herbert Gilbert of Berlin; a sister, Glenna Brook of Berlin; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
A memorial Mass will be celebrated at a later date. Arrangements are by Independent Death Care of Maine, Cornish. 

Foster Chadbourne Quint 
worked in textile mills 
NORTH BERWICK Foster C. Quint, 92, formerly of Bauneg Beg Hill died Saturday at Goodall Hospital following a lengthy illness. 
He was born here, a son of Bernard V. and Ellen Chadbourne Quint. He had lived here all his life until moving to his son's home in Cape Porpoise four years ago.
He attended a one-room school house in North Berwick through the ninth grade. 
He worked at the former Goodall-Sanford textile mills from 1928 to 1955. He worked in the shipping department and was an expediter in the production department when the mills closed. He then worked from 1955 to 1957 at the former North Star Woolen Mill, and at the former Alloy Products from 1957 to 1960. He then became a press operator at Hussey Manufacturing in North Berwick from 1960 until his retirement in 1974.
He was a former member and past chancellor of Riverside Lodge, Knights of Pythias. He was a former member of the Sanford-Springvale Fish and Game Protective Association. He was a hunter and a member of the Big Buck Club of Maine.
He was a 70-year member and past master of Bauneg Beg Grange in North Berwick and was a member of York Pamona, State and National Granges. He was a 40-year member of Yorkshire Masonic Lodge in North Berwick and was a member of White Rose Chapter, Royal Arch Masons of Sanford.
His wife of 60 years, Jessie George Quint, died in 1991.
Surviving are a son, John B. of Cape Porpoise; a foster daughter, Mary Babcock of North Berwick; a grandson, Peter Quint of Cape Porpoise; a granddaughter, Karen Ruel of North Berwick; and five great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Heald Funeral Home, Springvale. A service by Bauneg Beg Grange will be held at 4:30 p.m. and a Masonic service will be held at 5 p.m. A funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home with the Rev. Jo Bennett, pastor of The Church on the Cape, officiating. Burial will be in Oakdale Cemetery, Sanford.

Marie Thompson 
worked at Pepperell Manufacturing 
Marie Thompson, 91, of Allen Avenue and formerly of Portland Road in Saco died Saturday at Maine Medical Center in Portland.
She was born in Biddeford, a daughter of Manuel and Maria DeSilva DeSilva, and attended Biddeford schools.
She worked for Pepperell Manufacturing for most of her working life.
Mrs. Thompson was a former communicant of Most Holy Trinity Church.
Her husband, William Thompson, died February 1997.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Robert (Eleanor) Hill of Portland, with whom she resided; a son, Leroy Thompson of Indian Harbor Beach, Fla.; three brothers, Louis DeSilva of Hollis, Antonio DeSilva of Biddeford and Joseph DeSilva of Waterboro; a sister, Philomene Laroche of Biddeford; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. today at Cote Funeral Home, corner of Beach and James streets, Saco. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home with the Rev. Don Bosco officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery, Biddeford.

Roland R. Day 
oldest Cornish resident; cattle farmer 
CORNISH Roland R. Day, 100, the oldest resident of the town, died Sunday at the home of his daughter, Theresa Sturgeon of Maple Street, following a long illness.
He was born here, a son of Lorenzo and Lizzie Perry Day, and attended a one-room school here.
He worked as a farm hand at different farms between Cornish and Gorham.
For many years he owned and operated a cattle farm on Roland Day Road.
On Jan. 1, 1922 he married the former Iva Boothby and they were married for 67 years. She died in 1989.
He was the holder of the Boston Post Gold Cane.
Mr. Day served two terms as selectman for the town of Cornish. Over the years, he built three homes for family members and enjoyed woodworking, handcrafting canes and lamps from wood.
He sang and recited poetry and in the later days of his illness, recited poetry to his health care workers. He went to country fairs and showed matched pairs of Herefords at many of them.
A son, Elwood, died previously.
Surviving are a daughter, Theresa Sturgeon of Cornish; a son, Elwyn of Cornish; 10 grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and nine great-great-grandchildren.
A visiting hour will be held from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday at York Funeral Chapel, Maple Street. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. with the Rev. Denis Dunn officiating. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery.

Gray H. Curtis 
N.Y.C. agriculture inspector 
Gray H. Curtis, 95, of Ocean Avenue and formerly of Falmouth died Saturday at Maine Medical Center in Portland following a brief illness.
He was born in Mechanic Falls, a son of Daniel S. and Winifred Gray Curtis Sr., and graduated from Bridgton Academy. He attended Boston University.
As a young boy he attended the dedication of the Kotzschmar Memorial Organ at Portland City Hall. He was the only person from that group to attend the rededication 75 years later.
He worked as an agriculture inspector for New York Port Authority in New York City and then for several years as a foreman for the Civilian Conservation Corps in Bar Harbor. He also worked at the Maine State Employment Agency in Sanford. He retired as director of the Maine State Occupational Rehabilitation Agency.
He was known in Falmouth as "The Sage of the European Bakery."
His wife, Miriam E. Mabee Curtis, died previously.
Surviving are two nieces, Sarah B. Kelly of Holden, Mass., and Virginia B. Menke of Pasadena, Calif.
There will be no visiting hours. A graveside service in Pine Grove Cemetery, Falmouth will be announced in the summer. Arrangements are by Hay and Peabody Funeral Home, Portland.

Katherine M. Lane 
former deputy city clerk in Portland 
Katherine M. Lane, 90, formerly of Spring Street died Sunday at a local nursing home.
She was born here, a daughter of Luke and Mary Costello Mullen, attended parochial schools in Portland and was a graduate of Cathedral High School.
She worked at Rines Brothers and for the City of Portland, retiring in the mid 1970s as deputy city clerk.
Her husband, Laurence J. Lane, died in 1939.
Surviving are a son, Charles A. Lane of Portland; a grandson, Michael L. Lane of Portland; a granddaughter, Megan E. Lane of Portland; and two sisters, Mary Stevens and Anna Mullen, both of Norwood, Mass.
Visiting hours will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Conroy-Tully Funeral Home, 172 State St. Prayers will be recited at 9:15 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home followed by a 10 a.m. funeral Mass at Sacred Heart Church. Burial will follow in Forest City Cemetery, South Portland.

Lawrence R. Gallant 
banjo player with Pine Tree Lumberjacks 
WESTBROOK Lawrence R. Gallant, 84, of Spring Street died Saturday at a Portland hospital.
He was born here, a son of Adolph and Alice St. Pierre Gallant, and attended local schools.
He worked for S.D. Warren Co. in the coating department for 40 years, retiring in 1978.
Mr. Gallant was a former communicant of St. Hyacinth Church.
He played the banjo and was a member of the musical group "Pine Tree Lumberjacks."
For many years he spent winters in St. Cloud, Fla.
His first wife, Kathleen Price, died in 1979 and his second wife, Florence Pecoraro, died in 1994.
Surviving are three sons, Norman of Gorham, Edward of Hollis and Raymond of Harrison; three daughters, Janet Daniels, Alice Bouchard and Lauren Galipeau, all of Westbrook; 21 grandchildren; and 20 great-grandchildren.
A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Brooklawn Memorial Park, Portland. Arrangements are by Hay Funeral Home, 795 Main St.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: