Miscellaneous Nantucket County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Theresa Davis Chambers
Theresa F. (Davis) Chambers, a resident of Zephyrhills, Fla. for the past 10 years, died at home Sunday, Jan. 4, 1998, after a lengthy illness. She was 70. 
 Mrs. Chambers was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. At an early age her family moved to Nantucket, where she was raised and educated. 
 Mrs. Chambers was a devoted homemaker, an avid reader and liked to knit. She was the wife of Charles F. Chambers. Last May the couple celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and were feted by their children and grandchildren at a surprise party held in Florida. 
 Mrs. Chambers is survived by her husband; three daughters, Judith A. Chambers of Raleigh, N.C., Jacqueline F. McDonough of Mashpee and Theresa M. Smith of Nantucket; two sons, Charles F. Chambers Jr. of Henderson, N.C. and Ronald D. Chambers of Nantucket; four grandchildren, Briana Sandy of Fremont, Calif., Jenna Chambers of Raleigh, N.C., Kyle Roberts of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C. and Megan Smith of Nantucket; two sisters, Marian Reith of Nantucket and Joan Pine of Taunton; one brother, Joseph Davis of Nantucket, and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by two brothers, Charles Davis and Leo Davis. 
 A funeral service was held in Zephyrhills. Burial will be at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 16, 1998 at St. Mary's Cemetery. 
 Memorial donations may be made to the Diabetes Association, 2 Mt. Royal Avenue, Marlboro, Mass. 01752.

Diane V. Levanos
 Diane V. (Lindquist) Levanos of Springfield, died Saturday, Dec. 20, 1997 at Baystate Medical Center. She was 58. 
  Born in Springfield, Mrs. Levanos was a 1975 graduate of the former Classical High School. She was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church of East Longmeadow and of the Valley District Dental Women's Association, the Alliance of Massachusetts and the Alliance of the American Dental Association. She was co-chairman of the Social Cultural Committee of the Yankee Dental Congress. 
 From 1962-1966, Mrs. Levanos worked for the Georgetown University Alumni Association. She was a long-time financial administrator for her husband, Dr. Constantinos A. Levanos and was also a seasonal resident of Nantucket. 
 Mrs. Levanos is survived by her husband; her mother, Emma V. (Johnson) Lindquist of Springfield; her sister, Priscilla E. Nebel of Ridge, Long Island, N.Y.; and several nieces and nephews. 
 The funeral was held Tuesday, Dec. 23, 1997 with burial in Hillcrest Park Cemetery in Springfield. Memorial contributions in her name may be made to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston, Mass. 02115.

Loret Hawkins Manville
 Loret Hawkins Manville, a longtime resident of Nantucket, died early Christmas morning, Dec. 25, 1997 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital She hadbeen a resident at The Homestead for several years. She was 89. 
 Mrs. Manville was born in Vermont on July 8, 1909. She attended Emerson College in Boston and lived in New York for many years where she enjoyed a career as a book reviewer for The New York Times. After her marriage to Edward Manville ended in divorce she moved to Nantucket, living in Sconset until her later years. She traveled extensively in England where she had many friends and particularly enjoyed the theater. 
 Mrs. Manville is survived by her sister, Georgia Waugh and a nephew, Jordan Waugh. Burial was in the family plot in Peterborough, N.H. 
 Memorial donations in her memory may be made to The Homestead, 115 Main St., Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Helen F. (Surkont) Pike
 Helen F. (Surkont) Pike, 82, of Randolph, died on Nantucket, Thursday, Jan. 1, 1998. She was born in Boston and has lived in Randolph for the last 50 years. She worked as a technician for Alves Photo Developing. She is survived by her children, H. Louise Murphy, Carol A. Marks of Nantucket and Mary F. Steinemer of Florida; seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by sisters Stella O'Hara and Mary DeFrancisco. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in her name to Hospice Care of Nantucket, 57 Prospect St., Nantucket, Mass. 02554. 

Elizabeth Davenport (Dunham) Porter
 Elizabeth Davenport (Dunham) Porter died on Monday, Dec. 29, 1997 at her home in Palm Harbor, Fla. She was 98. 
  Born in New Rochelle, N.Y., Mrs. Porter was the eldest daughter of Harrison and Julia (Pinckney) Dunham. Her father, a descendant of early Nantucket settlers, grew up on island at 56 Center St., and the family were summer visitors to the island from about 1900 onward. Martha (Dunham) Summerhayes was her aunt. 
 After studies in physical education at Russell Sage, N.Y., class of 1922, Mrs. Porter became director of physical education at Hampton Institute in Virginia, where her husband, Albert O. Porter, taught history and government. She was an avid sportswoman and taught most of her nieces and nephews to fish at Miacomet Pond. 
 During World War II, while her husband served in the Pacific, Mrs. Porter was a general field representative for the American Red Cross in Massachusetts. After the war the Porters lived in Fort Schuyler, N.Y., where Dr. Porter was academic dean at the New York State Maritime Academy. Since her husband's retirement and his death in 1971, she has lived in Palm Harbor. 
 She is survived by four nieces and nephews, 16 grandchildren and nephews, and more than 21 great-grandnieces and nephews. Burial will be in the Dunham family plot at Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle.
David J. DeLuze Jr.
 David "Spider" J. DeLuze Jr. of South Weymouth died at home on Thursday, Jan. 8, 1998, following a brief illness. He was 54. 
 Mr. DeLuze was born on Nantucket, and raised in Hingham. He lived in Weymouth for 30 years and for 26 years worked as a body technician for his brother Kenneth DeLuze's body shop. 
 Mr. DeLuze is survived by his parents, David J. DeLuze Sr. and Nora DeLuze of Hingham; three sisters, Eleanor Dunham of Washington, D.C., Mary Fernandez of Randolph, and Jacqueline Robinson of Connecticut; three brothers, Kenneth A. DeLuze Sr. of Hingham, John DeLuze of North Carolina and William DeLuze of Hingham. He was predeceased by his mother Mary (Angelo) DeLuze.

Olive Van Pelt Garrabrant
 Olive Van Pelt Garrabrant of Nantucket and Belleair, Fla. died on Wednesday, Dec. 31, 1997 at the Largo Medical Center in Florida. She was 80. 
  Born and raised in Bernardsville, N.J., Mrs. Garrabrant attended Beaver College and nursing school and became head nurse at the Orange Memorial Hospital in Orange, N.J. She was married Charles A. Garrabrant. 
 Following her move to Nantucket in 1963, Mrs. Garrabrant worked as a registered nurse at Nantucket Cottage Hospital and later served for many years as administrator of Our Island Home. 
 After her retirement, Mrs. Garrabrant moved to Belleair, where she was an active member in the Garden Club and Crafts Guild and various charitable organizations. 
 Mrs. Garrabrant is survived by her husband; two sons, Robert Charles Garrabrant of Nantucket and Neal Douglas Garrabrant of Belleair; a daughter, Lynda Anne Lamb of West Hyannisport; four grandchildren, Lori Lynn Garrabrant of Nantucket, Anne Elizabeth Lamb of Marstons Mills, Lynda Evelyn Lamb of Hyannis and Christopher Lamb of West Hyannisport, and five great-grandchildren. 
 A funeral service will he held on Nantucket at a later date, followed by burial in the Prospect Hill Cemetery. 
 Memorial donations may be made to the American Heart Association.
Alexander "Bud" Humphrey
 Alexander "Bud" Humphrey died on Friday, Dec. 12, 1997 of Alzheimer's disease. He was 86.  Mr. Humphrey was born in Charlottesville, Va. on May 27, 1911, though spent most of his life in Louisville, Ky. and was a long time Nantucket summer resident. He had been an assistant city attorney in Louisville during the early 1950s and after several appointments as a special judge, he was elected as a Jefferson Circuit Court judge. Subsequently he was appointed to the bankruptcy bench in U.S. District Court and in 1975 he became chief bankruptcy judge of Western Kentucky Division until he retired in the late 1970s. He worked as an attorney before completely retiring in 1982. 
 Before becoming a judge, Mr. Humphrey, a Democrat, made an unsuccessful bid for the Third District seat in Congress, in 1950. 
 In 1982, Mr. Humphrey married Marion T. Fitzpatrick. They first met on Nantucket as teenagers and had been college sweethearts before going their separate ways, until they were reunited 50 years later. They divided their time between Louisville and Nantucket until Mrs Humphrey's Alzheimer's disease caused them to remain in Nantucket full time. She died in 1994. He remained on Nantucket, where he had a strong support system, thanks to all their caregivers. 
 Mr. Humphrey was an Army Reserve veteran of World War II, a former president of the Louisville Philharmonic Society (Louisville Orchestra), member of the Filson Club, the Louisville Country Club, Sankaty Head Golf Club and Nantucket Yacht Club. He was also an avid golfer and flyfisherman. 
 Mr. Humphrey is survived by a son, Alex P. Humphrey IV; two daughters, Anne Minas and Martha Humphrey; a step-daughter, Binth Rustad and five grandchildren. 
 Mr. Humphrey will be buried at Lewis Memorial Cemetery on Sunday, June 14, 1998 with a memorial service, details to be announced. 
 Memorial contributions may be made to the Hospice Program or the Theatre Workshop of Nantucket.

Robert H. Meier Jr.
 Robert H. Meier Jr. died Friday, Jan. 2, 1998 at Bay Pointe Nursing Pavilion in St. Petersburg, Fla. He was 82. 
 Mr. Meier was born in Staten Island, N.Y. and also lived in Phoenixville, Pa. He was an architect with Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pa. for 14 years and worked as a registered architect with Canerday Association in St. Petersburg for 12 years. 
 He was a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of St. Petersburg, the Isla Del Sol Golf and Yacht Club, a signature member of the Florida Water Color Society and a member of the American Institute of Architects. 
 A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, School of Fine Arts, Mr. Meier received his master's degree from M.I.T. 
 He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Elizabeth S. Meier; a son, Dr. Robert H. Meier III of Denver, Colo.; a daughter, Margaret McCauley, owner of Handblock, on Nantucket; four grandchildren and a great-grandson.

Dr. Leslie B. Tobey
 Dr. Leslie B. Tobey, noted sculptress and expert numismatist, died of cancer at home in Marblehead, on the morning of Wednesday, Jan. 14, 1998. She was 65. 
 Dr. Tobey was born and raised in Milton, attending Milton Academy and graduating from the Winsor School. After one year at Brown University, she transferred to Radcliffe College, graduating in 1954. 
 In 1951, Dr. Tobey married William A.M. Burden IV of New York, N.Y. After a tragic accident in 1958 took the life of her husband, she spent the next several years in the Washington area and then moved to Teddington, England. She enrolled as a graduate student at Oxford University, as a member of Linacre College. Upon completion of her studies, she was granted Oxford's doctor of philosophy degree. She became a fellow of the Royal Society of London. 
 In 1975 Dr. Tobey was remarried to Guilford Tobey of Marblehead. During the last 20 years she published many articles on ancient Greek coinage, contributing greatly to the present knowledge of the Asyet and Selinas coin hordes of ancient Greece. 
 Dr. Tobey's reputation as an expert in early Greek coinage is well recognized in America and Europe. She also managed to perfect her skills as a sculptress, working primarily in marble and granite. She has shown her work in Marblehead, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Pa., England, France and Switzerland. 
 Dr. Tobey is survived by her husband; her three children, William Burden of North East Harbor, Maine, Wendy B. Burden of Portland, Ore. and Edward H. Burden of New York City; three step-children, Guilford Dudley Tobey of Marblehead, Barbara Gay Tobey of Marblehead and Suzanne D. Miller of Sandwich; and four grandchildren. She was predeceased by her first husband and by her parents Col. Edward P. and Leonora B. Hamilton. 
 Funeral services were private. In lieu of flowers, a donation in Dr. Tobey's name may be made to the Marblehead Festival of Arts, P.O. Box 331, Marblehead, Mass.

Thomas J. Arvin
 Thomas J. Arvin of Charlottesville, Va., died on Sunday, Jan. 25, 1998 in the Riverdale Nursing Home in Charlottesville. He was 76. 
  Born Feb. 14, 1921 in Richmond, Va., Mr. Arvin was a retired analyst with the Foreign Science and Technology Center in Charlottesville. He served with the U.S. Marines during World War II and the Korean War. 
 Mr. Arvin was also a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and the American Legion. He and his wife, Irmgard P. Arvin, were summer residents on Nantucket since the 1960s. His wife was a well-known Nantucket artist and she was also a member of the Garden Club. 
 Mr. Arvin was predeceased by his wife. He is survived by a daughter, Janette A. Dapkunas of Ellicott City, Md. and a son, Eric J. Arvin, of Baltimore, Md. 
 Burial was on Friday, Jan. 30, 1998 at 10 a.m., in Parkwood Cemetery, Baltimore. 
 Donations in Mr. and Mrs. Arvin's memory may be made to the Nantucket MSPCA, 21 Crooked Lane, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Joe Peterson
 Joe Peterson died at home on Thursday, Jan. 29, 1998 of complications from AIDS. He was 46. 
 Mr. Peterson was born in Norfolk, Va. in 1951, the son of Alvin S. Peterson of Nantucket and the late Mary F. Peterson. He spent a portion of his childhood in Virginia, moving to Nantucket in 1963, when he was 12. 
 Mr. Peterson attended Nantucket High School and received his GED 10 years ago. He spent most of his life working as a commercial fisherman, both on Nantucket and in New Bedford. 
 After a long battle with addiction, Mr. Peterson discovered that he had been infected with HIV, and at that time chose to make Nantucket his permanent home. He became involved with the Nantucket AIDS Network as a client, volunteer and board member. He decided to share his personal story publicly, hoping he could help the community to understand and accept people with HIV/AIDS. His focus was to educate the youth in our community with the hope that they would learn from his mistakes, by making healthier choices. 
 Most recently, Mr. Peterson was recognized by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, receiving the E. Duane Draper Award, presented annually to those who are HIV positive in their community and helping those both infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. 
 Mr. Peterson was well known by family and friends for his kind nature and for reaching out to others in their times of need. Throughout his long battle with HIV/AIDS, his concern for others often took priority over his own needs. This gave him the strength he needed to live with the many complications of his illness. 
 Mr. Peterson is survived by his father; his brother, James C. Peterson of Nantucket; his two sisters, Linda A. Orozco of Nantucket and Barbara J. Vinci of Derry, N.H.; his nieces, Vanessa M. Orozco, Veronica L. Orozco, Nicole M. Vinci and Victoria F. Orozco and nephews, Tyler T. Vinci, Vaughn M. Peterson and Brandon Joseph S. Vinci. 
 Mr. Peterson left many close and loving friends who celebrated his life on Tuesday, Feb. 3, with a service at the Unitarian Church, followed by a reception at the Nantucket AIDS Network, his home away from home. 
 Donations in Mr. Peterson's memory may be made to the Nantucket AIDS Network, 35 Old South Road, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

George Armstrong
 George Armstrong, a resident of Heritage Harbour in Annapolis, Md. for 13 years, died of pneumonia on Thursday, Feb. 12, 1998 at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. He was 81. 
  Born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario, Mr. Armstrong was also a 20 year resident of Stamford, Conn. He worked for both the Canadian National railroad and the American Can Co.. At the American Can Co. he worked as transportation manager, and retired after 33 years of working in Canada and Greenwich, Conn. 
 Mr. Armstrong was a member of Calvary U.M. Church, past-president of the Hamilton, Ontario Traffic Club and a member of the New York, N.Y. Traffic Club. He was an avid fisherman, fishing the waters from Canada through to the U.S. He was also an accomplished woodworker. 
 Mr. Armstrong is survived by his wife of 55 years, Frances Armstrong; a daughter, Lynda Armstrong Willauer and son-in-law Andrew of Easton, Conn. and Nantucket; a son, Raymond J. Armstrong and daughter-in-law, Margaret of Virginia Beach, Va.; sisters Lil Bolingbroke of Hamilton and Sadye Garnett of Toronto, Ontario and 7 grandchildren. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations in Mr. Armstrong's name may be made to Heritage Harbour Health Group, 801 Compass Way, Annapolis, Md. 21401 or to the charity of your choice.

Rita Hurson
 Rita Hurson, 54, died on Sunday, Feb. 8, 1998 at home in Irvington-on-Hudson, N.Y. She is survived by her husband, Jack Hurson, a former mayor of Irvington; a daughter, Christine Hurson of Irvington; a son, John Hurson of New York, N.Y.; a brother, Edward McCann of Washington, D.C.; and two sisters, Margaret Whitty of Potomac, Md. and Mary Catherine Delaney of Houston, Texas. She was associated for 15 years with volunteer services at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, consecutively as a docent, chairman of Disabled Visitor Services, Secretary-Treasurer of Volunteers, and Chairman of Volunteers from 1994 through 1996. Since 1973, Mrs. Hurson treasured the time she spent with her family in their Nantucket home. A woman of grace, honor and love, she will be forever in their hearts.

Stacey Milgrim
 Stacey Milgrim died of breast cancer on Monday, Feb. 16, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. She was 40. 
 She was born on Oct. 25, 1957 in Cleveland, Ohio and grew up in Detroit and Long Island, N.Y. 
 Stacey was an artist. She graduated from Bard College and continued her graduate studies at Cal Arts. She lived both in New York City and Nantucket. She came to the island as a college student and introduced her family to Nantucket where they eventually built a home. Stacey was drawn to live on Nantucket upon the birth of her son Fred and has since lived here seasonally.  
 She has grown flowers here and became an integral part of summer mornings in Sconset, selling flowers which were as artfully improvised as the conversation she offered. 
 Stacey is survived by her eight-year-old son Fred, her father Paul Milgrim, her mother Rita Robert and stepfather Sam Robert, and her siblings Victoria and Richard. 
 The family asks that in lieu of flowers donations in her memory be made to Hospice Care of Nantucket, c/o Nantucket Cottage Hospital. 
 Services were held on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at the Unitarian Church. Burial was at the Prospect Hill Cemetery.
Edgar James Bowen
 Edgar James Bowen of So. Dartmouth, died unexpectedly Sunday, Feb. 15, 1998 in St. Luke's Hospital. He was 75. 
 Mr. Bowen was born in Ancon, Panama, the son of the late Edgar Abel Bowen and the late Lillian Loretta (McDonnell) Bowen. He lived in New Bedford for several years, a graduate of Holy Family High School. He later lived on Nantucket for 39 years, moving to Dartmouth just six years ago.  
 Mr. Bowen was married to Thelma P. (Blanchard) Bowen for 53 years. He had been a manager for the former New England Telephone Company, now Bell Atlantic, managing the telephone offices for Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard for over 30 years and retiring in 1980. 
 A World War II veteran, Mr. Bowen served in the United States Army in the 83rd Infantry in Normandy and fought in the greatest land battle, the Battle of the Bulge. He earned a combat Infantrymen's Badge and a Purple Heart. 
 He was a third degree past Grand Knight, having served as District and State Deputy for the Nantucket Knights of Columbus. He was a member of St. Vincent de Paul for over 30 years, a 50-year member of the American Legion, a member of the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge Association and the 83rd Infantry Division Association. He was also a member of the Telephone Pioneers, from whom he received the Pioneer Telephone Award. 
 On Nantucket, Mr. Bowen was a member of the Lions Club, the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Fireman's Association and was communications director for the Nantucket Volunteer Fire Department. He also was an avid Whalers football supporter, attending almost all of their away games each season, for the past six years, with his wife Thelma. 
 Mr. Bowen was a communicant of St. Mary's Church in So. Dartmouth and, on Nantucket, a communicant of St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle Church, where he was choir director for several years and coordinator of the annual Catholic Charities Appeal. In 1957, he was recognized by the Catholic Church when he received the Saint George Award. He was also a Marian Medal recipient. 
 Very active in the Boy Scouts, Mr. Bowen shared his life on behalf of boys in scouting. His leadership as advancement chairman on Nantucket and as district chairman was responsible for the development of a strong task force on the island, and over the years his influence had been strong in helping succeeding chairmen. He had been a vice president of the Cape Cod Council and an executive board member. In addition, he was a recipient of the Silver Beaver Award for distinguished service to boyhood and was also awarded the Order of the Arrow. 
 Mr. Bowen is survived by his wife, Thelma; two sons, James D. Bowen of Savannah, Ga. and Richard Bowen of Hawaii; two daughters, Nancy Bowen North of Vernon, Vt. and Cynthia G. Grant of Nantucket; a brother, John D. Bowen of Silver Spring, Md.; a sister, Audrey L. Judkins of Franklinville, N.Y.; six grandchildren, Jason Bowen, Vanessa Caballero, Nicole Grant, Brad Grant, Trista North and Nathaniel North and two great-grandchildren, Anna Caballero and Sabrina Caballero.

John Sydney Conway
 John Sydney Conway died of cancer on Thursday, Feb. 19, 1998, at his residence in South Yarmouth. He was 70. 
 Mr. Conway was born Aug. 19, 1927 on Nantucket, the second of six children and oldest son of Frank and Catherine M. Conway. He was named after his paternal uncles John Patrick Conway and Andrew Sydney Conway, born in Sydney, Australia and was the grandson of the late Capt. John P. Conway who sailed the China Trade with his clipper ship The Lucille.  
 When Mr. Conway was 17, he began working at the Nantucket Post Office as a mail carrier. He graduated from Nantucket High School in 1945. He joined the U.S. Army and served in Germany. When he returned to Nantucket, he worked his way up to Postmaster of the Nantucket Post Office. He held this position until he retired in 1972. 
 He was elected Assessor for the Town of Nantucket and later to the Massachusetts State House as the representative from Nantucket. When Nantucket was redistricted and merged with Cape Cod, he was appointed Legislative Liaison for Nantucket. His love and interest was serving the people of Nantucket. He was always willing to lend an ear and offer a helping hand to solve legislative problems and was instrumental in getting many bills passed for the good of the people of Nantucket. He remained Legislative Liaison until his death. 
 Mr. Conway devoted his life to community service. He served for many years as the treasurer of the board of trustees of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital and was treasurer of the Nantucket Boys Club. He served on the board of directors of the HomePort Bank Corporation and Nantucket Bank and was a member of the VFW, American Legion, Nantucket Admiralty Club, and Nantucket Sportsman Club. He was a communicant of St. Mary's Catholic Church and was one of the youngest Grand Knights ever elected in the Knights of Columbus. He was a life-long resident of Nantucket until he sold his beach front property three months ago. 
 A mass of Christian burial was performed by the Rev. Father Thomas Lopes on Monday, Feb. 23, 1998 at St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle Church, with burial in St. Mary's Cemetery. Pallbearers were nephews Bobby, Ronnie, and Mark Conway, Paul Bennett, William Hourihan and Ralph Hardy. Honorary pallbearers were Arthur Desrocher, Robert McGrady and Cape and Island's State Representative Eric Turkington. 
 Mr. Conway is survived by his wife of 42 years, Patricia Terrio Conway; a daughter, Melissa A. Conway; two sisters, Florence C. Ott of Remington, Va. and Janet C. Coffin of Sconset; two brothers, Stanley M. (Bush) Conway of Nantucket and Paul V. Conway of Waltham and 11 nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a son, John Terrio Conway; a daughter, Lita Nicole Theriault; and a bother, Donald Francis Conway. These few words seem so inadequate to reflect Mr. Conway's life and his many achievements. He will be dearly missed. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations in Mr. Conway's name may be made to the St. Mary's Catholic Church Building Fund, Federal Street, Nantucket, Mass. 02554. 

Olive G. Dawson
 Olive G. Dawson of Norwell and Nantucket died Tuesday, Feb. 10, 1998 at Our Island Home. She was 92. 
  Born in Sioux City, Iowa to J.A. and Anna Swanson, Mrs. Dawson was the youngest of six children. Following graduation from Iowa State University with a degree in home economics, she worked as a dietitian at the Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, D.C. 
 In 1930, she married John Ward Dawson, her beloved husband of 50 years. Besides being a devoted wife and mother, she was an avid gardener, enjoyed painting, and was an active church member wherever she lived. 
 Mrs. Dawson lived in Norwell for 30 years before moving to Nantucket to be near her daughter. On the island, she was a resident of The Homestead for two years and of Our Island Home for four. She will be remembered for her positive outlook and her consideration for others. 
 Mrs. Dawson is survived by her son, Richard W. Dawson of Syracuse, N.Y.; her daughter, Jean M. Fleming of Nantucket; her grandsons, Michael A. Dawson, David S, Hunter and Stephen W. Hunter, and several nieces and nephews. 
 A memorial service will be held in Norwell at a later date.

Edward Kendall Gleason
 Edward Kendall Gleason of Burlington, Vt. and Nantucket died peacefully on Saturday, Feb. 14, 1998 at Wake Robbin in Shelburne, Vt. He was 91. 
 Mr. Gleason was born on July 31, 1906 in Shrewsbury, Vt., the son of Walter H. and Minnie (Cogswell) Gleason. He received a bachelor of science degree from the New York State College of Forestry, a masters degree from Columbia University Teachers' College. He also took courses at the University of Massachusetts, Boston University and the University of Vermont. 
 In August 1933, Mr. Gleason married Marian Giles in Northampton. After teaching mathematics in Amherst and Attleboro, he served as principal at Lamoille Central Academy in Hyde Park, Vt. for one year and in a Rochester, Vt. school for 12 years. Moving to Burlington in 1958, he taught until retirement in the Burlington junior high schools. After retiring from teaching, he worked at the Department of Employment Security. 
 Mr. Gleason served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and was a member of the American Legion, Masonic Rural Lodge #29, the Green Mountain Club and the First Congregational Church of Burlington. 
 He is survived by his wife; a daughter, Virginia (Gleason) Crocker of Bedford; and two granddaughters, Valerie Crocker of San Diego, Calif. and Jennifer Crocker of Telluride, Colo. A son, Edward, died in infancy. 
 Funeral arrangements are private. Burial will be in Shrewsbury. 
 In lieu of flowers, friends may send contributions to the Shrewsbury Public Library, 609 Main St., Shrewsbury, Mass. 01545 or Dean Park, Parks Department, 100 Maple Ave., Shrewsbury, Mass. 01545.
John Taylor Ellis
 John Taylor Ellis, a pathologist and educator, died of lymphoma on Saturday, Jan. 10, 1998 at Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, R.I. He moved to West Kingston, R.I. from Manhattan four years ago. He was 77. 
  Born near Lufkin, Texas, Dr. Ellis was raised in the Rio Grande Valley. He graduated from the University of Texas in 1942 and earned his M.D. at Northwestern University in 1945. 
 Dr. Ellis was pathologist in chief at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center and chairman of the Pathology Department at Cornell University Medical College from 1968 to 1994. During his tenure at New York-Cornell, he centralized the hospital's clinical laboratories and established a residency training program in clinical pathology. 
 After his retirement, Dr. Ellis remained a consultant to New York-Cornell and to the New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, formerly Booth Memorial Medical Center, commuting to New York every other week. At his death he was also on the advisory board of the Office of Chief Medical Examiner of New York, N.Y. 
 Working with the national Institutes of Health and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Dr. Ellis studied changes in the blood and marrow of animals sent on early space flights. 
 Dr. Ellis had visited Nantucket every year for the last 50 years, since 1948. The family owns a home on Brant Point where his children and grandchildren also vacation. The island was a very special place for him. 
 Dr. Ellis is survived by his wife of 55 years, Dr. Marian Caldwell Ellis; a daughter, Dr. Evelyn F. of Mason, N.H.; two sons, Dr. George C., of Manhattan and John T. IV of West Kingston; and five grandchildren.

Elizabeth Pollock Yerxa Jones
 Elizabeth Pollock Yerxa Jones died on Monday, Feb. 9, 1998 in Tucson, Ariz. 
 Mrs. Jones was the daughter of James Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Wright Pollock of Boston. She and her husband George William Jones, who died in 1994, lived on Easton Street on Nantucket until 1985, when they retired to Leesburg, Fla. 
 For many years, Mrs. Jones was active in island community affairs. She served as a Girl Scout leader for several years, later as president of the Girl Scout Association. She served as secretary for the Parent-Teacher Association. 
 During World War II and the Korean War, Mrs. Jones organized a committee that sent packages each Christmas and Easter to Nantucketers serving in the Armed Forces. From 1932 until 1956 she and her first husband, Sterling Balfour Yerxa (who died in 1976), owned and operated Yerxa's Boat Shop, located on Straight Wharf and on Hither Creek in Madaket. 
 In 1951 Mrs. Jones became a real estate broker and maintained an office for 25 years. She was a member of the First Congregational Church of Nantucket, a member of the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, a member of Sherburne Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, and a life member of the Nantucket Historical Association. She served as assistant Town Clerk for four years. 
 Mrs. Jones is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Benjamin C. Perkins Jr. of East Falmouth and Mrs. Jack M. Layton of Princeville, Hawaii; two grandsons, Charles F. Hoffman IV of Tucson and Randolph G. Sharp Jr. of Nantucket; and two great-grandsons, Russell Sterling Hoffman and Jeffrey Charles Hoffman of Tucson.

Melvin Leroy Michelsen
 Melvin Leroy Michelsen of Moneta, Va. died on Wednesday, Feb. 11, 1998. He was 77. 
  Born on Oct. 22, 1920 in Stony Ridge, Ohio, Mr. Michelsen was the son of the late H.C. Michelsen and Pearl Shatzer Michelsen. He served in the European Theatre with the 9th Armored Division as a 1st Lt. After returning home, he went to work at Lansing Die Sinking Co., in Lansing, Mich., where he worked for 33 years. 
 Upon his retirement in 1979, Mr. Michelsen moved to Smith Mountain Lake. He was the charter member of Trinity Ecumenical Parish and was a very dedicated member. He was a very dedicated husband, father and grandfather. 
 Mr. Michelsen was predeceased by his parents and a brother, Willard. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Alice Mae (Hummel); three sons and their spouses, James and Barbara Michelsen of Roanoke, Va., John and Meg Michelson of Nantucket and Dr. Thomas and Carla Michelsen of Jacksonville, Fla.; eight grandchildren, Deborah, Brian, Kate, Nathan, Hunter, Matthew, Marc and Amy; a brother Willis and his wife Kathryn of Genoa, Ohio, four step-children and many nieces and nephews. 
 Funeral services were held at Trinity Ecumenical Parish on Friday, Feb. 13, 1998. Internment was in Pemberville, Ohio. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Trinity Ecumenical Parish, 40 Lakemount Drive, Moneta, Va. 24121 or Good Samaritan Hospital, 3825 Electric Road, S.W., Suite A, Roanoke, Va. 24018.

Barbara "Shine" Williams
 Barbara "Shine" Williams died Saturday, Jan. 31, 1998 at Mass. General Hospital of a heart attack. She was 84.  
  Born on Nantucket April 6, 1913, the daughter of Barclay and Alice Vincent, she spent her childhood on the island and attended Nantucket Public Schools. Mrs. Williams became well known and loved during her many years as hostess at the Boat House Restaurant, which she ran with her late husband, Christian D. Schell. 
 She spent most of her years working in other popular restaurants such as Cy's Green Coffee Pot and for the last 20 years she was the night hostess at Captain Tobey's. In 1969 she married George "Grouch" Williams, who predeceased her in 1974. 
 Mrs. Williams loved working in her garden, looking forward to planting her peas every March and eagerly awaited the arrival of the Mayflower and lilacs. One of her favorite past times was going out with her dear friends, the "Golden Girls". 
 Mrs. Williams is survived by three children, Patty, Barkie, and Trudy; 10 grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. She will be best remembered for her beautiful smile, contagious laughter, love of people and will be truly missed by all who knew her. 
 Donations in Mrs. William's name may be made to The Nantucket EMT Association and The Marla Lamb Fund.

Roger A. Young
 Roger A. Young died Tuesday, March 3, 1998 at his home on Easy Street. He was 73 years old. 
 Mr. Young was born in Framingham in 1924 to Harvey A. and Adelaide F. Young. and moved to the island with his folks in 1928. He attended Nantucket public schools through the eighth grade after which time he went off island to Mt. Herman Preparatory School for Boys in Northfield, Mass. He graduated from Mt. Hermon in 1942.  
 After high school he enlisted in the U.S. Navy where he served during World War II for 4 years. He returned to the island after the war and went into business with his father, who had founded Young's Bicycle Shop on Steamboat Wharf in 1931. 
 In 1947 he married Cynthia Nesmith of Rye, N.Y. They had six children over the years and all the children worked with their parents in the bike shop and later at Mid-Island Bowl, which Mr. Young built in 1963 behind his home on Old South Road. 
 Mr. Young was an active member of the community. He was a volunteer fireman for many years, was past master of the Union Lodge, past president of the Nantucket Rotary Club, a member of the Pacific Club and served on the School Committee, Finance Committee, Board of Selectmen and Visitors' Services Committee. 
 He was remembered for his work on stage with the Straight Wharf Theater back in the 1950's and 1960's. 
 In recent years he found a special pleasure in showing the island he loved so much to visitors on his historical walking tours. 
 Mr. Young was predeceased by his parents, Harvey and Adelaide and his daughter, Jessica. He is survived by his wife, Cynthia Nesmith Young, and five children: Robert, Lucinda, Harvey and Stephen, all of Nantucket, and Stephanie Kaydus of Amboy, Washington. He is also surviveds by six grandchildren. 
 Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, March 6 at the Unitarian Church. Calling hours are Thursday evening, from 5-7 p.m. at the Lewis Funeral Home. 
 In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Nantucket EMT Association or the Nantucket Land Council.

Grace Holden Colcock
 Grace Holden Colcock died Monday, Feb. 23 at her home in West Chatham, her residence of 30 years. She was 92. 
 Daughter of Maria Folger and Harry Holden, Mrs. Colcock was the wife of the late Bentley Prescott Colcock M.D., a noted surgeon at the Lahey Clinic and a founding member of MediCenter Five. 
  Born in Northampton and raised on Nantucket, Mrs. Colcock graduated from Nantucket High School and the Newton Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing. She worked as a surgical nurse at Boston Lying-In Hospital and Lahey Clinic. 
 While living in Newton and Brookline, Mrs. Colcock was active in the volunteer leadership of a number of organizations including Planned Parenthood, St. John's Church, Trinity Church, The Boston Museum of Fine Arts and many school and hospital organizations. 
 A skilled artist in tole painting as well as oil and water colors, Mrs. Colcock enjoyed travel, gardening and golf. She was a devoted wife and mother. 
 She is survived by three daughters, Ann Colcock Stillman of Boston, Susan Colcock Mitchel of Center Sandwich, N.H. and Jane Colcock Lunt of West Southport, Maine; four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. 
 A small memorial service will be held later in the summer. Donations in her memory may be made to the Friends of Chatham Waterways, P.O. Box 472, Chatham, Mass. 02633 or the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, P.O. Box 13, Nantucket, Mass. 02554-0013.

Thomas Albert Dennison Sr.
 Thomas Albert Dennison Sr. of Orleans died unexpectedly on Monday, March 9 at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis. He was 61. 
  Born on June 27, 1936 at Faulkner Hospital in Jamaica Plain, Mr. Dennison was the son of Edna (Reed) Dennison and the late Richard Dennison. He attended school in Dedham, went to agriculture school in Norfolk and then attended Orleans High School. 
 For many years, Mr. Dennison worked as a commercial fisherman, fishing out of Orleans, New Bedford, Fall River as well as ports in New Jersey and Maine. He was also a heavy equipment operator, working on large commercial and civic building projects on Cape Cod and the Islands, Boston, Maine and other places. 
 At the time of his death, Mr. Dennison was employed by Lawrence Lynch Corp. of Sandwich. He was a member of Teamsters Union Local No. 4. His hobbies included woodworking, story telling, boating and beach combing. 
 Mr. Dennison was predeceased by his father. He is survived by his longtime friend and companion, Phyllis Weaver of Orleans; his mother, Edna Dennison; his children, Thomas A. Dennison Jr. of Yarmouth, Todd M. Dennison of Brewster, Kim Dennison of Weymouth, Sabrina L. Dennison of Portsmouth, N.H., Julie Fitzpatrick of Eastham, Buzzy Emond of Elliot, Maine, Liza Dennison of Hyannis, Ken Hibbs of Orleans, Pam Quinn of Orleans, Jamie Cloutier of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Rickey Hibbs of North Carolina and Jason Weaver of Orleans; two brothers, Ali Dennison of Oklahoma and Dick Dennison of New Mexico; three sisters, Dottie Root, Judy Jordan and Marie Ritchie, all of Orleans; 16 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 
 A memorial Mass was held in St. Joan of Arc Church in Orleans on Thursday, March 12, 1998. 
 Donations in Mr. Dennison's memory may be made to Orleans Rescue Squad Association, 58 Eldredge Park Way, Orleans, Mass. 02653.

Charles "Charlie" A. Duce Sr.
  Charles "Charlie" A. Duce Sr. died Wednesday, March 4, 1998. He was 63. 
  Born on Nantucket May 30, 1934, Mr. Duce graduated from Nantucket High School with the class of 1952. He enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps in 1954 with a group of young Nantucket men known as The Whalers Platoon and served for four years. In 1965, he and his brother Kenneth began a business, Duce Bros. Mason Contracting, which later became a partnership between Duce and his son. The business is now being carried on by Charles Jr. 
 Mr. Duce spent most of his spare time around the water. He enjoyed scalloping, clamming and little necking. When the "blues" were in, he was usually along the beach anywhere between Miacomet and Great Point, Coatue or Smith's Point. He also enjoyed hunting with his many friends. 
 Mr. Duce is survived by his wife Rita; three children, Karyn (Duce) Smart of New Hampshire, Charles Jr. of Nantucket and Ronald of Brighton; three grandchildren, Matthew and Emily Smart of New Hampshire and Madison Duce of Nantucket; two sisters, Olga (Duce) Bloise of California and Beverly (Duce) Crosland of Nantucket; and three brothers, Harry of Pennsylvania, George of New York and Kenneth of Nantucket. 
 Donations in Mr. Duce's memory may be made to the Nantucket Boys and Girls Club.

Virginia R. "Ginger" Greene
 Virginia R. "Ginger" Greene of Keene, N.H., died Friday, March 6, 1998 at her home. She was 63. 
  Born on Nantucket on July 5, 1934, Mrs. Greene was the daughter of Stanley C. and Ida J. (Power) Ross. She has been a resident of Keene since 1951, having moved there from Gardner. Prior to her retirement, she was employed by E.F. Greene and Associates in Keene for nearly 20 years. 
 Mrs. Greene was a former member of the Keene Womens Club, a charter member of the Legal Secretaries Association, a member of the Keene Country Club, a member of the Greater Keene Pops Choir and the Beta Sigma Phi Sorority, a member of the Willowbrook Condo Association and a communicant of St. Margaret Mary Parish in Keene. 
 Mrs. Greene was predeceased by her husband, Edward F. Greene, who died on Aug. 5, 1996. She is survived by five sons, Michael D. Fontaine of Fort Myers, Fla., Mark P. Fontaine of Thorofare, N.J., Edward F. Greene Jr. of Sarasota, Fla., Patrick C. Greene of Keene and Sean M. Fontaine of West Swanzey, N.H.; five daughters, Mary C. Bertera of Orange Park, Fla., Mary Anne Greene of Merideth, N.H., Cynthia M. Newcomb of Leydon, Nancy M. Kemmis of Jaffrey, N.H. and Peggy M. Greene of Cincinnati, Ohio; one brother, Stanley C. Ross Jr. of Greenland, N.H.; 25 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. 
 A Mass of Christian Burial was held on Monday, March 9, 1998 at St. Margaret Mary Church in Keene. Burial followed in St. Joseph Cemetery, Keene. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mrs. Greene's name to Home Health Care-Hospice Alliance, 69 Island St., Keene, N.H. 03431 or to the Kingsbury Center for Cancer Care, 580 Court St., Keene, N.H. 03431.

Dorice Grillo
 Dorice Grillo of Bedford, formerly of South Groveland and Bradford, died at home Monday, March 2, 1998. She was 68. 
 She was born in South Groveland on Aug. 14, 1929, daughter of the late Daniel F. and Mary L. (Jubb) Holland. 
 Mrs. Grillo was educated in Groveland Schools, and was a graduate of St. James High School. She later received her bachelor's degree in music education from the University of Lowell. She taught music for a few years in Haverhill and Plaistow, N.H. and was a substitute teacher in Longmeadow, Holyoke and Frederick, Md. during the 1970s. She was a longtime summer resident of Nantucket. 
 Mrs. Grillo was predeceased in 1989 by her husband, Sam Grillo. She is survived by a son, Francis P. Grillo, and his wife, Heather, of Wellesley; three daughters, Christine Anne Grillo of Boston, Elizabeth Jane Grillo of Newton and Mary Holland Grillo of San Diego, Calif.; two sisters, Mary Lou Holland of Falmouth and Margaret Jesby of New York, N.Y.; two grandchildren, Emma Holland Grillo and Samuel Hyde Grillo, and several nieces and nephews. 
 Contributions in Mrs. Grillo's memory may be made to the American Cancer Society, 66-Y Concord St., Wilmington, Mass. 01887-2100. 

Marian L. (Ramsell) Kelliher
 Marian L. (Ramsell) Kelliher of Westborough and Yarmouth, died at Cape Cod Hospital on Friday, March 6, 1998, after a short illness. She was 87. 
 Mrs. Kelliher lived in Medford and Malden prior to 1971. She was crowned "Miss Malden" at the age of 18. She was also a member of the "Yarmouth Seniors." 
 Mrs. Kelliher was predeceased by her husband, Daniel F. Kelliher, and two sisters, Doris Dillon and Lillian Petto. She is survived by three sons, John F. Kelliher Sr. of Sierra Visa, Ariz., Daniel F. Kelliher Jr. of Nantucket and Charles H. Kelliher of Yarmouth and Westborough; one daughter, Kathryn A. Lapio of Mashpee; two sisters, Effie Ricci of Malden and Gertrude Johnson of New Hampshire; one brother, Charles Ramsell of Somerville; five grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. 
 On Monday, March 9, a mass of Christian Burial was held at Immaculate Conception Church in Malden. Interment was in Oak Grove Cemetery in Medford. 
 In lieu of flowers, donations in Mrs. Kelliher's memory may be made to the Lions Club of Westborough, P.O. Box 193, Westborough, Mass. 01851-0193, or the Our Danny Cancer Fund, c/o UMass Medical Center, 373 Plantation St., Biotech 2, Suite 202, Worcester, Mass. 01605. 

Gwendolyn Emma Johnson Neviackas
 Gwendolyn Emma Johnson Neviackas died Monday, March 16, 1998. She was 80. 
  Born in Greystone, R.I., on Nov. 24, 1917, Mrs. Neviackas was the second daughter of Bella Ascough Johnson and Ernest Johnson. She lived a full life, enjoying her family and friends. 
 She and her husband, Veto Neviackas, graduated from Arlington High School in 1935. She helped him through Boston University, the U.S. Navy during World War II and Boston College Law School. They traveled the U.S. and the Far East while working for Exxon. Along the way, she excelled at studies at the University of Houston. She and her husband retired in Las Vegas, Nevada for 22 years and were active members of Trinity Methodist Church. 
 Mrs. Neviackas is survived by her husband of 56 years; Nancy A. Martin of Nantucket; Dr. James A. Neviackas and his wife, Joan of Decatur, Ill.; three grandchildren, Justin and Jordan Neviackas of Decatur and H. Clay Evans of Nantucket; two sisters, Ena Cassidy of LaMirada, Calif. and Mary Thrapp of Raleigh, N.C., as well as many nieces, nephews and cousins. 
 Memorial services for family and close friends will be held in Decatur in the near future. Memorial donations in her name may be made to the local or national Alzheimer's fund.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: