Miscellaneous Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
The Puritan Recorder, Thursday, Jan. 29, 1852

Death by Accident on a Railroad Yesterday afternoon, Mr. Arnold Welles Brown, a son of Dr. J. B. Brown, of this city, was killed on the Newton Branch Railroad. He had been out to Newton Lower Falls, on a visit to his uncle, Dr. Warren, and while crossing one of the bridges in that place, on his way to the depot to take the cars on his return, he was met by the train. The bridge was narrow, and although Mr. Brown, on discovering his perilous position, stood close against the railing, he was struck by the step of the second car, rolled under the cars, and thrown off the bridge a mangled corpse. His death was as sudden as it was awful. A coroner's inquest held on the body acquitted the conductor and the engineer of the train of all blame, every effort having been made to avert the catastrophe; but the jury found that the bridge was too narrow for safety. Mr. Brown was a student at Andover Theological Seminary, and was a young man of much promise. His sudden and afflictive death will be lamented by a large circle of friends. He was about 25 years of age.--Traveller of Thursday.

Death of Mrs. Cooper. A despatch from Cooperstown, NY on Friday says, "The widow of J. Fennimore Cooper, died suddenly this morning, of asthma. Her death was quite unexpected."

Obituaries Capt. Tilley Richardson At the residence of Wines H. Skeels, Esq. in Watertown, NY, on the 14th inst., Capt. Tilley Richardson, 93. He has left to mourn his loss, one hundred and twenty children, grand-children, and great-grand-children. Capt. Richardson volunteered as a soldier at the commencement of the War of the Revolution; he was at the taking of Burgoyne in 1779; he emigrated from New Hampshire to Litchfield, in Herkimer Co., NY, in 1792, and from thence to Watertown in 1802, and settled on the farm on which he died. He was a kind husband and father, a good neighbor and a peace maker. He has never been a party in a litigated suit, and very rarely, if ever, has such a suit originated in his neighborhood. He had no enemies, and as many friends as knew him and enjoyed his acquaintance. His heart and hand has always been open to the wants of the poor. His integrity was never questioned. Community has lost a good citizen and his numerous family their best friend. The deceased was a maternal uncle of one of the editors of this journal. A daring exploit was performed by Capt. Richardson, when the American and British armies lay on Rhode Island. One day he observed two horses, who had strayed from the British lines toward the American camp. He formed the purpose of bringing them in, and went round them and started them for the American lines. The British saw him and commenced firing a cannon at him. The first ball came within a short distance of him; nothing daunted, he still continued to drive on his horses, at the same time keeping watch of the cannon. When he saw its flash, he fell upon the ground; each ball came nearer and nearer, one ball ploughing the ground by his side, half covering him with dust; he arose, swung his hat, and hurrahed. The British gunner felt sure of his object at the next shot; but Capt. R. reached a hay stack before the next discharge of the cannon. The ball passed through the edge of the stack, and did him no harm. He drove both horses into the camp, brought them to head-quarters, and received pay for them. This exploit was done in full view of both armies. The American army watched his progress with intense anxiety, cheering him only repeated huzzas.

Mrs. Martha Brainerd Wilson In Marietta, OH, 10th inst., Mrs. Martha Brainerd Wilson, 70. She was born at Lebanon, CT Jan. 18, 1782, and married in 1798 to Stephen R., son of Col. Benjamin Wilson, an officer of the revolutionary army, and a member of the Virginia Convention to ratify the Constitution of the United States. During the ministry of the Rev. S. P. Robbins, in the year 1819, she united with the Congregational Church of Marietta, OH, of which her father was one of the first two deacons. Her life of active piety, her walks of usefulness and love, her unpretending yet watchful and sweet charities, as well as the beautiful symmetry of her whole character attest the genuiness of her faith in Christ. Her end was peace. Death came suddenly, perhaps unexpectedly; but it did not find her unprepared. At midnight there was a cry made; Behold the bridegroom cometh. We cannot doubt that her lamp was burning.

Warren Stickney
The Elgin Daily News, February 27, 1911, p. 5
Warren Stickney, at one time an Elgin resident, died at the Milwaukee Old Soldiers' Home yesterday, aged 70 years. Mr. Stickney had been at the home for several years. While in Elgin he was employed in the plate room of the watch factory. 
He served three years in Company H, 16th Massachusetts volunteers and was mustered out at Waltham, Mass. He enlisted at the same time and in the same company with W.H. Cloudman of this city. He was known by all the old soldiers and citizens of Elgin. 
He is survived by a wife and daughter, who live at Lessenden place. 

The death of Mr. ARTHUR NELSON occurred at the Victoria General Hospital at Halifax on Thursday, Nov 14th [1918].  The late Mr. NELSON was in his 57 year, and was a son of the late RICHARD NELSON and Mrs. NELSON of this town.  Of a quiet disposition Mr. NELSON was a man who made many friends.  He had been in failing health for sometime but was only bedfast for about 4 weeks previous to his death.  His doctor advised an operation thinking that might possibly save his life, and he was removed to the Victoria General Hospital, Nov 7th and passed away one week later.  Although a great sufferer, Mr. NELSON never complained, and was
conscious until about one half hour before his death.  In religion, he was a Baptist, and in politics a staunch Liberal. The burial took place
at the Chapman Cemetery, Wallace River, the following Tuesday and was largely attended, Rev. Mr. LUND of Pugwash being the
officiating clergyman.  The late Mr. NELSON is survived by an aged mother, Mrs. RICHARD NELSON of Oxford, who will have the deepest sympathy of her many friends in this her hour of sorrow, also by a wife and 6 children.  SADIE of the P.O. Staff at Amherst,
ERNEST overseas, WALTER, who is a patient at the Highland View Hospital, Amherst and MONA, EVA and NOEL at home all left to mourn the loss of a kind and loving husband and father.  Mr. WILLIAM NELSON of Southampton is a brother, and the sisters are;
Mrs. B.J. FLEMMING of Westchester Sta., Mrs. BLAKENEY PEEL of Steveville, Alberta, Mrs. G.P. CARLSON of Kokomo, Col., and CHARLES MURRILL of Leadville Col., all who have the sincerest sympathy of the host of friends through out the County.

WILLIAM ARCHIBALD PEERS only son of Mrs. DANIEL PEERS aged 46 years, died of a lingering illness. He was for a number of years a resident of Lobar,  Nevada, but the last year he spent seeking health in California, but not receiving any material benefit decided to return to his native climate, arriving about the 1st of Sept.  Since then he has been gradually failing and passed peacefully away on Friday, Nov 29th.  He leaves a wife, at present in California, his mother and one sister, Mrs. ARTHUR HEWSON.  The funeral service was held on Sunday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, Rev. J.W. O'BRIEN officiating.  The address was based on John 14th chapter.  The hymns,  Nearer My God to Thee,  Rock of Ages,  O God Our Help in Ages Past. The pall bearers were C.C. McNEIL, A. DUNSMORE, W.AZ. BLAIR, S.B. PATTON. The burial was at Pine Grove Cemetery. [Oxford Journal, Nova Scotia, 28 Nov 1918]

   Mrs. Margaret G. (McKENZIE) Murray, 76, active in fraternal and charitable organizations here for many years, died last week (Wednesday) at her home, 25 Wheeler St., Malden.
   A native of Cambridge, she had lived here (198 Franklin St.) until two years ago when she went to Malden to establish residence with a daughter, Mrs. Francis E. ARNOLD.
   Mrs. Murray was a past president of the Cambridge Women's Club, and a member of the Catholic Daughters of America, the Women's Club of the Blessed Sacrament Church here, and the Al Smith Club.
   She was the widow of Timothy R. Murray, a Boston postal inspector, who died in 1938. She also leaves another daughter, Mrs. Gerald M. BARRY, of Arlington, and three grandchildren, Mary, Henry and Margaret Arnold.
   The funeral was held Saturday from the Donahue Funeral Home, with a requiem high mass in Blessed Sacrament Church. Burial was in Cambridge Cemetery.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

Alfred W. Sears, 82, a retired Cambridge barber, died last week (Tuesday) at Mt. Auburn Hospital. A native of Gardiner, Me., he had lived at 456 Mass. Ave., until a year ago when he made his home with a daughter, Mrs. Hazel GIBLIN of Watertown.  She is his only survivor. His wife, Rose (GUERETTE), died a year ago. Funeral services were held Saturday in the Watson Chapel with the Rev. John Frederickson of Payson Park Congregational Church, Belmont, officiating. Burial was in Maplewood Cemetery, West Upton.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

James Shinners, 89, of 285 Harvard St., a maintenance man in the apartment building where he lived, died Tuesday at Whidden Hospital, Everett. Born in Newfoundland, he had lived here more than 20 years. He leaves his wife, Mary G. (FRASER); a daughter, Mrs. Catherine FLORENTINO; a son, George Shinners; two sisters, Mrs. Augusta WAGNER and Mrs. Helen FISKE; four grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning  from the Salvatore Rocco & Sons Funeral Home, Everett, with a solemn high mass in St. Mary's Church here at 9:30. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery, Malden.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

Robert GRANT
Robert Grant, 64, of 94 Prescott St., a dye material salesman, died last week (Tuesday) at the Quigley Memorial Hospital, Chelsea.  A native of West Virginia, he had lived here many years. A son, Robert Grant, Jr., an author and a composer, died at the age of 34 on April 26, 1958. The funeral was held Friday fom the Stanton Funeral Home, Watertown, with a high mass of requiem in St. Paul's Church. Burial was in Mt. Benedict Cemetery, West Roxbury.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

William H. LAVEZZO
William H. Lavezzo, 76, of 891 Mass. Ave., a waiter at the Hotel Bradford, died Friday at Cambridge City Hospital. A native of Boston and a Cambridge resident for 40 years, he was a Navy veteran of World War I. He leaves his wife, Dorothea M. (MORTON); two brothers, Charles J. of Belmont and Frank F. Lavezzo of Winthrop, and a sister, Mrs. Evelyn CAGGIANO of East Boston. The 
funeral was held Monday from the Caggiano Funeral Home, Winthrop, with a solemn high mass in St. Lazarus Church, East Boston. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery, Malden.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

John D. Murray, 80, a retired machine shop foreman for General Radio Co., died Tuesday at his home, 50 Falmouth St., Belmont. He was a former junior warden and vestryman at St. Peter's Episcopal Church here, and a member of the Dunster Lodge of Odd Fellows and the Beaver Lodge, AF & AM, of Belmont.  He leaves his wife, Susan L. (DENNIS). The funeral will be held tomorrow from the Watson Funeral Home, with services at 2 o'clock in St. Peter's Episcopal Church. Burial will be in Belmont Cemetery.  [Cambridge Chronicle and the Cambridge Sun, Cambridge, Middlesex County, MA, Thursday, February 4, 1960  p. 18]

The many friends of JOHN C. BLACK will regret to learn of his death, which occurred at Shinimicas Bridge, N.S. Monday, June 9th, following an illness of about a year.  The deceased was 34 years of age and is survived by his wife and 4 children, VAUGHN, DORIS, HAROLD and HELEN, also by his father and mother, Mr. & Mrs. J. EDWARD BLACK and 2 sisters and 3 brothers.  The sisters are:
Mrs. CLIFFORD BLACK of Northport, N.S. Mrs. F. H. LYLE of Boston, Mass.  The brothers are: ROY and FRANK of Northport and NOEL at home. The funeral took place Wednesday afternoon and was largely attended.  Rev. Mr. BROWN of Amherst
conducted the funeral service.  Interment being in the cemetery at  Shinimicas Bridge, N.S. -  The Oxford Journal, 19 June 1919

Mr. ALEX MATHESON an aged resident of Birchwood passed away after quite an extending illness on Saturday.  He leaves a wife family of ARTHUR, who is here from the States, is a son and Mrs. Wm. R. TEASDALE of Calgary is a daughter, to mourn the loss of a kind husband and father.  The funeral was held on Tuesday. Interment being at Pine Grove Cemetery.-  The Oxford Journal, 19 June 1919

Pugwash, June 25th
At 3 o’clock on Tuesday morning, death removed from her home another of our aged residents, in the person of Mrs. MacLEOD, relict of the late DONALD ANGUS MacLEOD, who predeceased her 23 years ago.  The late Mrs. MacLEOD was born at Baddeck, Cape Breton, 94 years ago and so had attained a ripe old age.   In 1844 her marriage took place to the late DONALD ANGUS MacLEOD, who came from Scotland when quite a young boy, and the young couple removed to Pugwash, where they won the respect of all with whom they came in contact.  The late Mrs. MacLEOD had been confined to her bed for many months waiting on devotedly by her daughter, ADA.  In religion she was a staunch Presbyterian, always ready to help anything for the good of her church.  She was a member of the Women’s Missionary Society for nearly 40 years.  She leaves to mourn the loss of a loving mother, 5 daughters and 3 sons. The daughters are: Mrs. ROBERT LIGHTBODY – Truro, Mrs. ALEX MURRAY – Moncton, Mrs. F.G. PORTER – BOSTON,
Mrs. HULDAH ROSS – California  and ADA, a nurse of Brookline Mass.   The sons are: JOHN of Maitland,  PETER, with whom she made her home and WILLIAM M. – Pugwash.   The funeral will be held on Thursday at 1 pm, Rev. J.R. MILLAR officiating. - The Oxford Journal, 26 June 1919

EARL WOOD, a son of Mr. DAVID and the late Mrs. MARTHA WOOD, Salt Springs, passed away suddenly at the Cottage Hospital, aged 27 years.  He leaves the following brothers and sisters: EDWARD - Pictou, LUTHER - Recently in the States, ARTHUR - New Glasgow, Mrs. GEORGE WHITE -  Attleboro, Mass; Mrs. Wm HARKNESS -  Nelson, B.C.; Mrs. GAY GORDON  -  Black River, Cumb Co., NS; Mrs. COLIN McKENZIE  -  Victoria and Miss MAY WOOD; EARL was a loyal young man and enlisted for military service, but was turned down finally after making 4 attempts to get into the service, being physically unfit. - The Oxford Journal, 26 June 1919

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel on 24 January 1902:
"...Our people have learned with regret of the sudden death from pneumonia of George A. HALE, Tuesday night, after an illness of less than a week. The funeral will be held at his late residence, Friday at 1 o'clock. Mr. HALE and family came here from RINDGE [NH] several years ago and have since been identified with the social life of the town. He was a thrifty, self-supporting citizen, an excellent man to assist in or plan and carry out almost any kind of work. A widow and three daughters have the sincere sympathy of all in their sudden and deep bereavement.

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel on 24 January 1902:
Mrs. Abby J. WILLARD, who has for many years resided here with her son, F.A. WILLARD, died at the residence of her son, James A. WILLARD, in WEST TOWNSEND, where she had been for a few weeks, Jan. 18, aged 81 years. The funeral was held, Wednesday, and the burial was in NEW IPSWICH [NH]. Mrs. WILLARD had been in feeble health for a few years, going about but little, but when able had taken an active interest in everything that made for good in the community. A woman of strong character and most pleasing personality, she was loved and esteemed by all who knew her.

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel 2 May 1902:
"The sudden death of George A. ELLIOTT from pneumonia, April 30, at his home in NEEDHAM, came as a severe shock to this community and was a terrible blow to his relatives here. Mr. ELLIOTT lived here last year upon the Joel HAYWARD farm. He was an industrious, upright citizen, a kindly friend and neighbor, and respected and esteemed by all who came to know him. Going from here to NEEDHAM, he had been for a time employed upon the Riverdale farm owned by F.A. TOWNSEND of BROOKLINE. Mr. ATKINS, manager of the farm, writes that he had found him a most worthy man, whom he had hoped to employ many years.   Mr. ELLIOTT leaves a widow and three young children who have the sincere sympathy of all in their terrible bereavement.   The funeral was held, Saturday, in the First Methodist church, FITCHBURG, Rev. W.G. RICHARDSON of FITCHBURG and Rev. G.S. SHAW of Ashby officiating.
Music by Miss Annie PUTNAM and Mrs. Dr. E.H. PAGE. The floral offerings, loving tokens from many friends, were profuse and beautiful......".

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel, 5 Feb1904
Mrs. John W. PIPER died at her home here Feb. 2, after a long illness. The funeral was held at the house on Friday and was attended by a large number of relatives and friends. For several months past Mrs. Piper's mental faculties have been clouded, but previously she was a woman of marked individuality, actively interested in everything that made for good in the community, and she was respected by all. Two sons-John A. PIPER of this town, and Philip PIPER of BUTTE, MONTANA- and a daughter, Mrs. Walter CURTIS of WILLIAMSPORT, PA, survive her.

[This printed under the heading of West Townsend, MA]
Mrs. Laura M. (ADAMS) UPTON passed away at her home in JOSLYNVILLE Saturday afternoon about 5 o'clock, aged 89 years and 6 months. The funeral was held at the First Parish church at Ashby, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. George S. SHAW officiating. The following relatives from out of town were present, besides relatives and friends from TOWNSEND and Ashby; Mrs. Harvey BUNTING of NEWARK, NJ; Roy UPTON of FITCHBURG, Edson and Charles UPTON of ELMWOOD, NH, and Miss Laura W. UPTON of MILTON. There were beautiful flowers from the grandchildren. Mrs. UPTON had three chldren, Marion, who became the wife of Amos GREENE of Ashby, and George and Winfield, who at one time lived in this village, all of whom have preceded her. She leaves one brother, George ADAMS of MARSHALLTOWN, IOWA and the following grandchildren: Edson and Charles UPTON of ELMWOOD, Roy UPTON of FITCHBURG, George UPTON, Mrs. Alexander REED, and William UPTON of this village, Miss Laura UPTON of MILTON, MA, Sarah J. UPTON of WALTHAM, Miss Alice GREENE of Ashby, and Mrs. Harvey BUNTING of NEWARK, NJ.

Pub. 26 Feb 1904
Mrs. George M. BLANCHARD died at the Carney hospital in SOUTH BOSTON on Thursday, Feb. 18, aged 51 years. About a week before she had undergone a surgical operation from which it was thought she would recover, but it could not be. Her death, so soon after that of her daughter Cora, was an awful blow to her family and a shock to all who knew her.   Mrs. BLANCHARD was a good woman, devoted to her family, a kindly neighbor and a loyal friend. She will be sadly missed. The funeral was held at the house, Sunday at 1 p.m., Rev. George S. SHAW officiating.  The floral offerings were very beautiful. The burial was in the West Cemetery.   Mrs. BLANCHARD leaves a husband, three sons and two daughters-George M. BLANCHARD, Annie and Grace BLANCHARD of this town, George L. BLANCHARD of CHICAGO and Fred BLANCHARD of DANVERS.

Pub. 25 March 1904
Mrs. Alma H. KENDALL, who died March 17, was a woman of good mind and scholarly attainments. For many years she lived with her husband on what is known as the George KENDALL place. Much of her early life was spent in school teaching, but for the past few years she has been blind and nearly helpless. She leaves a brother, Alfred WILLARD of LEOMINSTER.

Pub. 1 April 1904
Death of Charles ALLEN
Among the many who have passed from us the past few months there is no one whom we shall miss more than our aged friend, Charles ALLEN. He was born in the town, descending from two old and respected families, the ALLENS and the COLEMANS, and had spent his long life here. He was well informed in regard to the history of the town and the country. He was a social, genial man, pleasant to meet and converse with, very sympathetic and kindly and especially fond of his family, of whom he leaves a widow, six sons and five daughters, who have the sympathy of many friends. He lived to the ripe age of 84 years.  The funeral was held at the house, Wednesday, Rev. H.W. BOYD officiating.

Pub. 20 May 1904
The Late Lowell C. HOLT
The notice of death of Lowell C. HOLT, which occurred at his home here, was inadvertently omitted from last week's issue. Mr. HOLT died after a long illness, aged 77 years. The funeral was held at the house, Rev. H.W. BOYD officiating, and the burial was in the West cemetery.  Mr. Holt was a native of this town and had lived here all his life. He was an exceedingly well informed man upon general subjects, while his technical knowledge of agriculture was valuable to himself and his fellow townsmen.  Upon subjects pertaining to the raising of crops he was an authority whose advice was often sought. A thoroughly honest, upright man, his death leaves a vacancy which in many ways will not soon be filled.  One daughter, Mrs. H.K. FOSTER of this town, survives him.

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel
Pub. 22 July 1904
Funeral of F. A.WILLARD
This community learned with sincere regret of the death of F.A. WILLARD on Thursday evening, July 14, after an illness of several months. He was 56 years of age. He had apparently been slowly gaining for two or three weeks past and it was hoped he might get about again, but two days before his death he sank into a stupor from which he never rallied. His death is a terrible blow to his family and will be a decided loss to the town.  Mr. WILLARD came here about 17 years ago, and has since been actively interested in the social life of the place, giving his best effort to any worthy cause. He had much musical ability, which the community has had the benefit of, for the most part without cost. For several years he led the Unitarian choir. When first he came here he organized the Ashby band, and has kept it together and directed and led it ever since, gaining a reputation for the organization second to none as a "Country Band." He will be missed in many ways. His death, followed as it will be by the early removal of his family, is a loss hard to estimate in a small town.  The funeral was held in the Unitarian church on Sunday, at 2:30 p.m., Rev. G.S. SHAW officiating.  Music was furnished by a double quartet representing both churches. The members of the Ashby band in uniform attended in a body, as did about 175 members of the Odd Fellows fraternity, of which Mr. Willard was a member.  The church was filled with relatives, neighbors and friends. There were beautiful floral tributes banked in profusion about the casket and altar.  The Odd Fellows' service was observed at the grave.   Mr. Willard leaves a widow, one son, John WILLARD of WALTHAM, and three daughters-Mrs. Margaret ROWE of PHILLIPSTON and Misses Bessie J. and Sadie WILLARD of this town.

Death of Fred L. WHITNEY
Fred L. WHITNEY died at the home of his father, Edwin Whitney, Sunday, July 17, after a long illness, aged 42 years.   Mr. Whitney was a native of this place and spent his boyhood here, where many of the friends of his youth still live and sincerely regret his untimely death. During the past few years he has lived in GREENWICH, NY,  PETERBORO, NH, and REEDSBORO, VT. From the latter place he came back here to his boyhood home, accompanied by his wife and little daughter, a few days before his passing away.   The funeral was held at the house on Wednesday at 1 p.m., and was largely attended by relatives and friends. Odd Fellows were present in a body and
accompanied the remains to ASHBURNHAM for burial, where they were met by the local Lodge, I.O.O.F., of which Mr. Whitney was a member. The Odd Fellows' service was held at the cemetery. Rev. G.S. SHAW officiated at the house, and there was music by a quartet. Floral tributes of love and esteem from many friends were profuse and very beautiful.

Death of Mrs. Charles G. BURGESS
The death of Mrs. Charles G. BURGESS at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Marshall LIVERMORE, Monday, July 18, was the third to take place in this village within five days.  Mrs. BURGESS came here with her husband from CHICAGO early in the spring and
has since been hopelessly ill. Although anticipated her passing is no less a calamity to her immediate family. She was a woman of brilliant intellect and lofty character, whose many fascinating qualities of mind and heart had, during her summer sojourns here, endeared her to hosts of friends who will deeply mourn her death. She leaves a husband, Charles G. BURGESS who has the sympathy of all. The funeral was held at the house, Thursday, July 21 at 2 p.m., Rev. G.S. SHAW officiating.

Pub. 2 Dec 1904
Mrs. F.A. STANFORD died, Tuesday, at the residence of her son, E.A. STANFORD, in WORCESTER, after an illness of only a few weeks. She had made this place her home for the past 23 years. She leaves two sons and two daughters.

Pub. 13 Dec 1904
Mrs. Edward S. STOCKWELL, 46, died very suddenly about 5:30 Saturday morning, of heart disease. She had gone to bed the night before in her usual health after a hard day's work, and only an hour before her death had spoken to Mr. Stockwell about the rain, which was falling heavily. Both then dropped asleep and he knew nothing more until awakened by her heavy breathing. He spoke to her and receiving no answer sprang out of bed to light a lamp, but before he could do so and get to his wife, she had ceased to breathe. Mrs. Stockwell was an earnest, industrious, conscientious woman, who will be missed by all who knew her well. She was always ready to lend a helping hand. She leaves a husband to whom the sympathy of this community is extended. The funeral was held at the house, Tuesday, at 2 o'clock, and was largely attended. Rev. George S. SHAW officiated and the Ashby Grange of which the deceased was a member, held its funeral service. Music was rendered by a quartet.

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel
Pub. 25 Aug 1905
Death of J.B. DAMON
In the death of Jonas Barrett Damon on Thursday, aug. 24, about 2 p.m., Ashby loses her oldest inhabitant, a man of sterling worth and integrity, honored and respected by all who knew him, of whom truly can be said "No one ever said a word against him." The funeral will be at his late residence Sunday at 3 p.m.

Pub. 13 Oct 1905
Will WARREN Fatally Injured by Saw
Will Warren lost his life at Terry's portable saw mill, near the O.A. BATTLES place, about 3:30 p.m. Friday. He was sawing slabs to use in the engine and had allowed an accumulation of wood and sawdust in front of the saw. After cutting off a heavy slab, he attempted to pass it over to the back of the saw, and in doing so his feet slipped and he fell across the saw, nearly severing both hands and one arm at the shoulder.  Dr. POPE was called, but the unfortunate young man had breathed his last without having spoken, before the doctor arrived.
>From the story of eye-witnesses no one was to blame, as Mr. Warren had been repeatedly cautioned against reaching over the saw.
He had been in town but a short time and has boarded at Frank KENDALL'S. He leaves a widowed mother, who lives in NEW IPSWICH [NH], and a sister, Mrs. Harding BROOKS of this town.

Pub. 10 Nov 1905
Robert JOYCE, Sr., died early Friday morning, at his home, from a complication of diseases due to old age. He was born in IRELAND a little more than 82 years ago. He lived a short time in FITCHBURG after coming to this country, then came to Ashby where he has lived for the past 50 years.  Mrs. Joyce died about seven years ago.   The family of 10 children born to them are all living and have always been
greatly devoted to their parents. Nellie, Mary and Katie are living in Ashby, Fanny in MILFORD, Annie in PETERBORO, NH, and Margaret in SHREWSBURY.   Of the sons, John and William live in Ashby, David in FITCHBURG and Robert, Jr. in MORRISTOWN, NJ.

Pub. 11 Dec 1905
Augustus J. HUBBARD died Sunday night at the home of his son, Chas. HUBBARD, in BERLIN, where he made his home for the past two years. He was well known and highly esteemed in this place, where he was born and spent nearly all his life. He was a man of the utmost honor and integrity, for many years a member of the Congregational church and always interested in its progress.  His left leg was amputated a little more than three years ago. From this he recovered quickly. His recent illness seemed to be a complication of diseases due to old age. He was 82 years of age the 4th of last March.  Funeral ervices will take place Wednesday at 2 o'clock in the Congregational church. He is survived by two sons, E.A. HUBBARD of this place and Chas. HUBBARD of BERLIN, also one sister, Mrs. Lucy JOY of LEOMINSTER.

Pub. 15 Dec 1905
Funeral of George L. ADAMS
The funeral of George L. Adams was held in the Unitarian vestry, Tuesday afternoon. Mr. Adams was born in this town 80 years ago and with the exception of the last six years passed with his son, George E. ADAMS, in IOWA and NORTH DAKOTA, has always resided here.  Rev. Mr. SHAW, his pastor and friend of many years, spoke in part from these words, "Gathered to his people." Another of our number has been gathered to his people. While he leaves sad hearts behind, he goes to those who loved him. He was the last one of his family-sisters and brother went long ago to welcome him to the higher life. He lived to see and know much of life, for his life stretched out over two generations. He lived to see great changes of thought in religion, a better and more noble conception of God, a tenderer love of man for man, and a more cheerful idea of the future. For never in history did men have a more loving regard for our Heavenly Father,
and a greater confidence in immortality, than now.  We shall miss him as we think of him and the places where we met him. He was
a kind father and grandfather and a cordial friend. He was very fond of children and did a great deal to make them happy, and he was sympathetic toward sufferers. But it will not be long, for it will not be many years when we, too, shall be gathered to our people.
Mr. SHAW closed with reading the beautiful poem, "There is no death."  The interment was in Glenwood [cemetery].

As printed in the Fitchburg Sentinel:
Pub. 19 Jan 1906
Death of Mrs. Mary A. FROST
Mrs. Mary A. Frost died, Jan. 16, at the residence of her grandson, George F. UPTON, WEST TOWNSEND. She was the widow of S. Gilman FROST, formerly a harness maker, and for many years a well known citizen of FITCHBURG. They removed to Ashby in 1889, upon the decease of her father, Oliver Lawrence WHEELER, occupying his homestead thereafter as their residence.  Her first husband was Israel W. KNIGHT, who, years ago, was a well known hotel keeper at ASHBURNHAM.  By him she had one daughter, Cynthia KNIGHT, who married George UPTON of TOWNSEND-both being now deceased.   She is survived by four grandchildren-Edson K. UPTON of HANCOCK, NH, and Roy Frost UPTON, now of WORCESTER.   Prayers will be had at the residence of George F. UPTON, WEST TOWNSEND, on Friday at 11 a.m., and the funeral will take place the same day at 1 p.m. at the old Oliver L. WHEELER homestead in Ashby.

Pub. 2 Feb 1906
Word was received here, last week, of the sudden death in CAMBRIDGE, of Mrs. Clara Newell DALRYMPLE. She was born in this town some 50 years ago in the house where Will GREEN now lives. She leaves one sister. The body was cremated at Mt. Auburn cemetery.

Pub. 2 Mar 1906
The funeral of George W. WRIGHT was held in the Unitarian church, Sunday afternoon. There was a large attendance of relatives and friends and a delegation from Post 19, G.A.R. of Fitchburg was present, together with comrades in town. The Ashby band, of which he had always been a member, to the number of 18, acted as escort to the grave to the beat of his own muffled drum.  The floral tributes were very beautiful, and consisted of a pillow inscribed "Brother"; a lyre with broken string, from Ashby band; a wreath, Curtis Wright and family; cross, from Mrs. SANTAN and others; spray of pinks, Mrs. Wright and Mrs. GREEN; star, from D. Of V.; wreath, Post 19 of Fitchburg; mound, W.R.C., No. 1; callas, W.H. and F.E. PARTRIDGE; bouquet, Mr. and Mrs. INGERSON.  A quartet composed of Mrs. PIPER, Miss GREEN, Mr. Piper and Mr. BINGHAM, sang "When I Shall See Thee Face to Face", and "Sleep On".   Rev. SHAW said in part "....Our friend who has gone was a soldier in the double sense. That he was a soldier in the army of humanity, as all are, and
he was also a soldier in the Grand Army of the Republic, one of those who almost a half century ago helped to save our nation from dissolution.....He was born in this town and always lived here excepting the time he spent in the army and the 17 years he worked on the railroad. His genial, social way made him to be known and acquainted with many people. He was very fond of his family and they of him. His music brought him into contact with many.   His sudden departure was a shock to the community, but a great gain to him."
The interment was at Glenwood cemetery.

Pub. 9 Mar 1906
The body of Miss Josie DAVIS of LEOMINSTER was brought here for interment, in Glenwood Cemetery, on Saturday. She is survived by a father, Joseph DAVIS of NEW IPSWICH, a sister, Mrs. Leander DAVIS of NEW IPSWICH, and one brother, Myron DAVIS of this town.

Gustaf BERG died of consumption Wednesday morning. He was born in FINLAND 49 years ago. He bought the Horatio WHEELER place about two years ago and his family lived there while he worked in a copper mine in MICHIGAN. He leaves a wife and seven children. The funeral will be held in the Unitarian vestry, Friday forenoon at 10 o'clock.

Pub. 23 March 1906
Oscar A. BATTLES died Monday at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Dr. ATWOOD, in TOWNSEND. Mr. Battles lived for many years here on what was known as the Samuel ESTABROOK place, purchasing it soon after the war.  He was lieutenant in the 53d regiment and contracted the cold which led to his death while attending the funeral of one of his comrades in Ashby. He was a devoted father, a good friend and neighbor, a worthy and respected citizen.   He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Dr. ATWOOD of TOWNSEND and Mrs. Irving FRENCH of this town. His wife passed away some years ago.

Mrs. Abbie F. BROWN, who died Wednesday, March 14, was born in ASHBURNHAM 75 years ago, but has lived in this town many years. She was of a gentle, retiring nature and a valued friend to those who knew her. The funeral was held at her late residence, Saturday forenoon, Rev. Mr. SHAW officiating.

Joel W. SHELDON died at his home Sunday afternoon, after a lingering sickness. He was born in what is now known as the Leavett FRENCH place, nearly 80 years ago, and has always lived in this town. He was a man of sterling worth and integrity, honored and respected by all. For 24 years he held the office of town clerk. He is survived by a wife who was Miss Abbie UNDERWOOD of FITCHBURG and one daughter, Mrs. Frank PROCTOR of NASHUA, NH.   The funeral will be held at his late residence Tuesday at 2 p.m.

Pub. 13 April 1906
Death of Miss Hattie J. FARR
The remains of Miss Hattie J. FARR of GLENS FALLS, NY were brought here for interment, Saturday, and the funeral service was held in the Cong. Church, Saturday afternoon. Rev. Mr. LOOMIS was the officiating clergyman with Rev. Mr. COCKS of NEW YORK, as close friend of Miss Farr. Mr. Loomis read scriptural selections and offered prayer, followed by Mr. Cocks, who spoke briefly.   Mrs. PARKER and Mrs. DEMONT rendered two vocal selections. There were many beautiful floral tributes, conspicuous among them a lyre presented by the pupils of Glens Falls academy, of which she and her brother, the late Dr. Daniel C. FARR had so long been identified, he being its principal for many years.   Miss Farr was born in this town on the place now owned by Leavett P. FRENCH on Fort Hill. She was laid to rest on her 66th birthday. This brother and sister so lovely in their lives were not long divided. Dr. Farr passed to the higher life about two years ago. The internment was in Glenwood.

Pub. 20 April 1906
Word was received here recently of the death of Webster GOODNOW at WORCESTER. Mr. Goodnow was identified with this town for many years. He owned the Lewis GOULD place, so-called, which he sold to J.P. LYMAN some years ago, and later on the Allen FLAGG or BALCOM place to the same purchaser. He was an enthusiastic collector of old furniture, books, china, etc., and his place was a museum of all kinds of odd and old articles. He removed to Worcester after the sale of his home and has resided there ever since. The funeral was held at his late residence on Quincy street, April 10.

Pub. 18 May 1906
Death of Adriel JEFTS
Adriel Jefts died at the home of Adam GOOLEY, Jr., in Ashby, at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. He was born at MASON, NH 79 years ago, and was a son of David and Ede (BENNETT) JEFTS. He remained at home till he attained his majority when he went to TEMPLE, NH, where he was engaged in farming till 1868 when he purchased the Levi SMITH farm in Ashby and was a resident of the town during
the remainder of his life.  He married in 1849 Miss Sarah A. MILLER of MARLOW, NH, who died at Ashby, in December, 1881. Mr. Jefts leaves seven of his eight children-Mrs. Clara E. SPOFFORD of LYNN, Mrs. S. E. BUXTON, David A., George F. and Mrs. Fred H. ESTABROOK of this city; Charles A. of GARDNER and Albert H. of PROVIDENCE [RI]. He also leaves one half-brother and three half-sisters. The funeral will be at the vestry of the Unitarian church at Ashby on Friday at 2:30 p.m.

Pub. 1 June 1906
Mrs. Edwin L. PIPER of Ashby Thrown from Buggy and Injuries Result in Her Death
Mrs. Edwin L. Piper of Ashby, formerly Miss Josie JOHNSON of this city, aged 55 years, was in TOWNSEND, Saturday, in company with Melvin BONNEY, also of Ashby. They had driven into a yard and Mr. Bonney had left the buggy containing Mrs. Piper standing there while he transacted a little business.   While he was away, a man leading a bunch of horses came along the road scaring the horse attached to the buggy in which Mrs. Piper was sitting.  The horse made a break to get away and threw Mrs. Piper from the carriage to
the ground. The fall and shock was a bad one and when Mrs. Piper was picked up she was found to be seriously injured.   She was attended to and hurried to her home in Ashby but the injuries proved fatal and she died, Sunday evening about 5 o'clock. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.

Anne (Melrose) SIMPSON, July 1984
Mrs. Kenneth SIMPSON, (Anne Melrose), 87, of Oxford died Monday in All Saints Hospital, Springhill.  Born in Pittsfield, Mass., she was a daughter of the late Adam and Anne (Simpson) Melrose.  She taught school for more than 40 years in Medford, Mass., and in New Hampshire.  She was a member of the Congreational Church of Arlington, Mass.  She is survived by her husband, Kenneth Simpson.  She was predeceased by twin sisters.  The remains is resting at MacDiarmid's Funeral Home, Oxford.  Funeral services will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday evening, Rev. Wm. S. Kervin, pastor of Trinity United Church, officating.  Burial will be at Mount Pleasant Cemetery. (From the Oxford Journal clippings, July 1984)
The Berkshire Evening Eagle, The Pittsfield, Berkshire, MA) 1945
Arthur O. Lanthier, 63, of 1278 North Street, died early this morning at the House of Mercy after a short illness. Born in Canada, Mr. Lanthier had lived in Pittsfield 25 years. He was a carpenter and for the past eight years had been employed by the Wyandotte Worsted Company. He was a communicant of Notre Dame Church and belonged to Rabida Council, Knights of Columbus. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Anna LaRose Lanthier, three sons, Herbert of California, Albert of Bridgeport, Conn., and Rudolph H., of Cheshire, and four daughters, Mrs. George Palladeno and Mrs. Ralph Vito, both of Revere, Mrs. Henry T. Garvey of Dalton and Mrs. Michael Samale of this city. The funeral will be held from the home but arrangements are incomplete pending word from the son in California. The Drennan Funeral Home is in charge.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: