Miscellaneous Kiowa County, Colorado Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Robert Eugene Weirich, 63
Robert Eugene Weirich was born July 25, 1936, in Eads, Colorado, and died at age 63, February 18, 2000, at his home in Lamar, Colorado following a hard fought battle with lung cancer. Bob was preceded in death by his father Jacob Franklin Weirich in February 1965, by his mother Evelyn Marie (Boyd) Weirich in September 1966, by his brother Lane 'Jack' Weirich in 1984, by his brother-in-law Leroy Wilcox in 1991, and by his first wife Martha (Kerr) Weirich in 1961.
Robert is survived by his wife of 32 years, Barbara Weirich of Lamar, by six children, a stepson, Dallas Dean of Garden City, Kansas, two sons, Dennis Weirich of Marysville, Washington and Mickey (Christine) Weirich of Ault, Colorado, three daughters, Ramonda (Daryll) Adamson of Eads, Paula (Michael) Appel of Lamar, and Leilani Weirich of Greeley. Nine grandchildren, Brandon, Jarred and Austin Adamson of Eads, Regina Montoya, Jessica, Brenna and Tiffany Danelle Barrow all of Lamar, Seth Weirich of Greeley and Bruce Weirich of Ohio, two step-grandchildren, Rhon and Christopher Appel of Lamar, two great grandchildren, Charea Barrow and Jeremiah Montoya both of Lamar. He is also survived by his brother, Wayne (Barbara) Weirich of Eads and a sister, June Wilcox of Eads, a mother-in-law, Lila Hoeye of Jefferson, Wisconsin, two brothers-in-law, Gene (Inez) Hoeye and Chip (Linda) Hoeye both of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, and Shirley Weirich of Eads, Colorado and many nieces and nephews and friends.
Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. February 22, 2000, at the Peacock Family Chapel with the Reverend Dennis N. Bradley of the First Baptist Church officiating. Interment was at the Pioneer Cemetery in Eads, Colorado.
Pallbearers were men Bob worked with for most of his 23 years with Romer-Young in Lamar. They were Rod Ausmus, Bryon Marples, Brian Boyer, and Jason Reedy all of Lamar, Monty Nordyke of Holly and Craig Schomaker of Bristol.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Lamar area Hospice Association.
'Bob', as he was known, was born and raised on a ranch south of the small town of Galatea. He went to the small schools around Black Lake community. He grew up raising cattle and doing some farming before he went off to the Army in 1956. Having served over in France for two years was mustered out in 1958 around Christmas. He married Martha Kerr in 1959 and to them were born three children, Denny, Mandy and Paula. Martha died of cancer in 1961, and he was widowed at 26, leaving him to care for his three small children. With the help of his parents he managed to raise them for a few years before his parents passed away, then a housekeeper was in order so the search was on for help to care for his children. He finally hired a young lady, named Barbara Dean, who with her son Dallas, came to Eads from Denver, to keep house for him and his three children. After working for almost a year, Bob and Barbara fell in love and were married on August 19, 1967. There were two additions to the family a girl, Leilani, better known as Rani and a son, Mickey.
The family lived on the ranch another 10 years until Bob went to work for Romer-Young in Lamar in 1976, then they moved the family to Wiley, where they resided for 15 years, before moving to Lamar in 1991, where he continued to work until his early retirement in 1999 due to cancer. He was well-known for his knowledge in farm machinery and would lend a hand to anyone who needed the help. Bob enjoyed the farm life and enjoyed going out in the fields to swath hay or combine wheat.
He loved to be with his grandchildren and he watched as the older ones grew into fine adults going off to colleges and work places. He will be greatly missed by all those who loved him deeply.

Hazel Tempel, 87
Hazel Beryl Tempel was born November 13, 1912, to Roscoe and Ethyl Goff at their home in Kiowa County on the west shore of Nee Gronda Reservoir. Her father homesteaded the site in 1908. Her childhood was spent exploring the prairie on her horse, swimming in the lake with the Kerfoot cousins, Leonard, Kenneth and Dale, and helping her mother and father with their work. In the summer, Sundays were spent with neighbors and friends when they gathered at the lake. They always made a freezer of ice cream, which was a wonderful treat in those days. Her father would cut blocks of ice from the lake in the winter and store it in their ice house to use in the summer for ice cream and lemonade. Life was hard on the prairie, money was short, and the hours of work were long. This is where Hazel learned her work ethic of, Aif there is a job to do, get it done and do it well.@ She had a life-long love of the prairie, and the years when it was dotted with many homesteaders working the land and raising cattle. Many of the friendships that she treasured all of her life were made during those years. Once childhood friend that she especially treasured, LaVange Reinhardt Ward, and her husband, Ed, were frequent visitors in Lawrence and Hazel's home, and cherished friends.
Hazel began school in the Big Bend area, but when the school bus, a touring car, went off in the Fort Lyon Canal, her parents transferred her to Lakeview school east of the lake. She recalls that she rode to school with the other children in a wagon pulled by a team of horses. In the winter, the driver would take off the wheels and put on sled runners so they could go around the edge of the frozen lake on the ice. He would heat bricks and wrap them in hides to keep their fee warm. Hazel graduated from Eads High School in 1931. She boarded with the Hal King family in Eads during part of high school since the school didn't provide daily transportation to her home.
Hazel remembers attending the Wiley United Methodist Church with her mother as a child, and later joined the church. During sugar beet harvest in the fall, they would move to Wiley where her father worked loading sugar beets onto railcars. Their trips to Wiley were very few during other parts of the year.
Lawrence Tempel and Hazel were married March 30, 1935, at the Methodist parsonage in La Junta and celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary before his death in 1987. They were at home on their farm in the Big Bend community. In spite of the fact that these were depression and dirt storm years and times were hard, they were the beginning of many good years on the farm raising their two sons, Loren and Gale. Her sons remember the time that the cream can turned over and spilled on the way to town and there was no money to buy groceries that week. Hazel's family, especially the grandchildren, liked to hear her reminisce about herding turkeys, raising big gardens, canning vegetables and garden produce, and cooking for hired men and harvest crews. The annual big Fourth of July picnic that they held was looked forward to year after year. Friends and family remember Hazel's fried chicken and custard pies. Hazel didn't often give advice, but when she gave it, her advice was respected and usually followed. In a letter that she received last week, a good friend and neighbor said, 'You've had a beautiful life. Two special sons, grandchildren, and even great grandchildren.' I think she would agree.
Hazel loved being a grandmother and loved to have her grandchildren visit. When Curtis, her oldest grandchild, started to talk and she couldn't hear him, she purchased her first hearing aide. She said that she wanted to be able to have conversations with him, and that led to many good conversations with all her grandchildren. Her diaries are scattered with entries recalling a visit, conversation or references to them. Grandma always had a spare bed, clean pajamas, cookies or a meal, and plenty of time to spend with them. She has baked many pies, washed clothes, ironed shirts, listened to their problems and enjoyed their conversations. One entry in her diary tells about Adam and Jake going sledding behind the Honda. She had never seen kids have so much fun on sleds. Granddaughter Coleen brought a new dimension of joy as the only girl in the family. She enjoyed sewing for her as a little girl, and made many lovely pillows for her bed. Marriage brought her a second granddaughter, Staci. She was especially proud of the tree ornament that Staci made for her at Christmas. Danny liked spending time talking with Grandma about past events in her life and of the area. They both loved talking about history. Curtis enjoyed Grandma=s cooking and ate many meals with them. Extra joys in her life were her four great grandchildren, Amber, Zane, Lauren and Luke. They were a breath of fresh air in her later years. She looked forward to their visits that brightened her days.
Hazel had a life-long love of reading. She always had a book in progress and several waiting to be read. Her sons remember that when the Book-of-the-Month club selections came each month, work ceased until they were read. During her stay at The Legacy, she enjoyed the large print books from the Bookmobile. She often said that she had 'traveled the world' through her books.
She was very proud of the scrapbooks that she made during the last 20 years, and kept current until her death. Family members sent her pictures and articles to include as she compiled an impressive history of family, friends and the area.
She was able to remain in her home until the past two years. Since then, she was a resident of The Legacy, an assisted living residential facility in Lamar, which was only the third place of residence in her life. Although she hated to leave her home, she thoroughly enjoyed her stay at The Legacy, making new friends, playing dominoes and participating in the activities. The company of family and friends who stopped by was a joy. She has especially enjoyed the visit of a new friend, Stephanie Dunham.
A passage found in one her diaries sums up Hazel's philosophy very well: 'How many times in these later years of my life have I thought of my upbringing and my heritage, and how I have tried to implant in my sons and grandchildren some of the same ethics that I now recognize in myself as things to be treasured. Ethics that were learned from my parents and my way of life in a much calmer time. When we all had to take hard knocks, but were made better people by them.'
Hazel's main interest and purpose in life centered around making a comfortable home for her husband and children. She did so with a grace and dignity that was admired by many.
Hazel was preceded in death by her husband, Lawrence Tempel; parents, Roscoe and Ethyl (Thomas) Goff; brothers-in-law Robert 'Bob' Tempel and Ernest H. Tempel, Jr.; and nephew J. Keith Tempel. She is survived by her sons, Loren (Guyla) Tempel and Gale (Melody) Tempel, both of Wiley; four grandchildren, Curtis Tempel of Wiley, Coleen (Danny) Tinnes of Lamar, Adam (Staci) Tempel of Fort Collins, and Jake Tempel of Harlowton, Montana; four great grandchildren, Amber and Zane Tempel, and Lauren and Luke Tinnes; sisters-in-law, Dorothy Tempel of Fort Collins and Ethel Tempel of Wiley; brother-in-law and sister-in-law George Tempel and Georgetta Tempel of Wiley; along with numerous cousins, nieces, nephews and friends.
Funeral services for Hazel Tempel were held Wednesday, March 1, at the Peacock Family Chapel with Reverend Paul Brunner of the Wiley United Methodist Church officiating. Interment followed at the Wiley Cemetery. Musical selections were 'The End of a Perfect Day' and 'His Eye is on the Sparrow' with Beth Clough as soloist and Jayne Esgar providing the accompaniment from the organ. Casket bearers were Ben Elmore, John Negley, Sammie Plowman, Martin Sollars, James Souders and Allen Tinnes.
Prior to the services, the Tempel family gathered at the Wiley Community Center to share in the family dinner prepared and served by the ladies of the Wiley United Methodist Church.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of the Peacock Family.

Patricia Evelyn Specht, 48
Patricia Evelyn Harrison was born on October 22, 1951 the third of eight children to Guy R. and Elaine E. Boese Harrison in Flagler. Pat, as she was known, attended the Vona schools until she married Leo M. Specht on December 26, 1966. Leo and Pat moved to Goodland, Kansas, where she graduated from high school in the spring of 1967. In 1969 Leo and Pat moved to Brandon where Leo did mechanic work and custom combining. In 1972 Pat and Leo had their first child, a baby boy whom they named Daniel. In 1974, their second child, Donna was born, followed by Jimmy in 1976 and Sarah in 1978. In 1982, Leo and Pat moved to their home 9.2 miles south of Sheridan Lake, where they became full time farmers. In 1987, Pat and Leo were blessed with the birth of Vicki and in 1989, their sixth child Love Rebecca was born, and in 1991 the Specht family would be complete with the birth of their little girl, Joanna. Pat loved being a devoted housewife and mother, sewing, cooking and particularly baking homemade bread.
Pat was very fond of teaching children. She served as a 4-H leader in the cooking category, but her real joy came from teaching Sunday school at the Awanas church program for youth. Pat was even writing a book of illustrations. Pat realized the importance of bringing up children in the knowledge of the Jesus the Bible presents, and as a result Sunday school was very important to her, not only for her own children, but for the children of others.
Pat realized the importance of a cheerful heart and warm smile, and this was evident, even in her battle with cancer. Throughout it all, Pat's faith in God remained strong. Pat was a woman that put her complete faith and confidence in God.
Pat finished her race on Sunday morning, May 28, 2000, when she went to be with the Lord while at her home south of Sheridan Lake. Patricia Evelyn Specht is survived by her husband of 33 years, Leo M. Specht of the family home. Her children: Danny Specht of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Donna (Paul) Splitter of Sheridan Lake, Colorado, Jimmy Specht of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Sarah (Steve) Rybacki of Lamar, Colorado, Vicki, Love Rebecca and Joanna Specht of the family home. Pat is also survived by her four grandchildren who she adored, Jonathan, Brittany, Samantha and Madison Splitter. Six brothers: Richard (Liz), Roger, Ronnie (Jacky), Vic (Nancy), Rob (Karla) and Chris Harrison. One sister, Penny (Richard) Helderman, mother-in-law, Helen L. Specht of Lamar as well as numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and other relatives also survive. Pat is preceded in death by her parents and an infant son.
Funeral services were held on Thursday, June 1, 2000 at the Plainview School in Sheridan Lake with Pastor Larry Gitchel officiating. Mrs. Joann Harris served as pianist and Mrs. Gail Specht served as vocalist singing "Hills of Glory," "I'll Fly Away," and "Tears are a Language." Casket bearers were Danny Specht, Jimmy Specht, Steve Rybacki, Paul Splitter, Zach Specht and Brandon Harrison. Honorary casket bearers were Jeremy, David, Russel, Duane, Keith and Joshua Harrison. 
Final committal services were held at the Sheridan Lake Cemetery. A family meal was provided for the family following the services at the Plainview School.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Fern M. Reinert, 92
Fern Muriel (Frost) Reinert departed this life March 30, 2000, at Weisbrod Hospital in Eads. She was born October 18, 1907, to Claude and Muriel (Thomas) Frost in Vernon, Kansas. She was the oldest of five, followed by Marcia, Vivian, Eunice, and Leland. The family moved to Colorado when she was about seven years old. Fern graduated from school in 1924.
Andrew C. Reinert asked Fern to be his wife February 14, 1926. Fern and Andy were married November 1, 1926. They had four children, Lois, Earl, Weltha and Elden. All of the children were born in the same house on the family farm north of Holly. Fern and Andy lived a very happy life together for 60 years.
Fern was a member of the Eads United Methodist Church and the Rebekah Lodge in Eads.
Fern was a resident of Weisbrod Nursing Home for the past year. She was preceded in death by her brother, Leland Frost during World War II; her parents, Claude and Muriel Frost; grandson, Baby McCracken; husband, Andy Reinert in November of 1986; brothers-in-law, Joe Clopper, Jack Clopper, Jack Fremt, Milbert White, and Norman Youkey.
She is survived by children Lois (Doug) McCracken, Earl (Mary) Reinert, Weltha Plummer and friend Wolf Stalon, Elden (Glendoris) Reinert, eight grandchildren, 18 great grandchildren, three great great grandchildren, sisters Marcia White, Vivian French, Eunice Youkey, sister-in-law Edna Reinert and numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral services for Fern Reinert were held April 3, 2000, at 11:00 a.m. at the United Methodist Church in Eads with Rev. John Nadasi officiating. Tim Weeks and Mary Eikner were vocalists, singing 'Precious Memories,' 'How Great Thou Art,' and 'On the Wings of a Snow White Dove.' Casket bearers were Donald Butler, Dale Butler, Douglas Butler, Gale Tempel, Wesley Campbell, and Bob Laird. Honorary casket bearers were Loren Tempel, Larry Gifford, George Crow, Lonnie Hess, George Blackwell, Jr., Floyd Barnes, Roy Barnes and Linley Stum.
Following the funeral service, the family gathered for lunch prepared by the United Methodist Church.
Grave side committal services were held at 2:30 p.m. at the Holly Cemetery. Following the grave side services, family and friends gathered at the Holly Baptist Church for a time of refreshments and fellowship.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Weisbrod Nursing Home Auxiliary.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Lawrence Mihalovich, 63
Lawrence Edward 'Larry' Mihalovich was born May 16, 1936, in Des Moines, Iowa, the son of Lawrence Henry and Bernice Orilla Walker Mihalovich. With the exception of a short time that Larry spent as the Town of Eads Police Chief, Larry spent most of his life truck driving. Larry loved to get out on the road and drive the 'big rigs.' Larry made several friends while in the police academy, and many thought him to be a, 'pretty good cop.'
Larry was a man with a very big and generous heart. He derived a great deal of satisfaction from giving of himself to others. He lived to make other people happy. Larry was forced off the road just a short time before his death by failing health, but he enjoyed his jovial and caring spirit until the very end.
Larry died December 28, 1999, at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs at the age of 63. He is survived by his four children, Deborah, Wesley, Theresa and William. He is also survived by his five step children, Phillip Zamaro, Marni Aaberg, Charity Grahm, Roberta Grahm, and Chrystal Welchel; one sister, Peggy Reed; and one brother, Richard Burch.
Grave side funeral services were held Friday, December 31, 1999, at the Eads Cemetery in Eads at 2:00 p.m. Rich Hockett officiated the services. Harry Japhet, Geleslie King, Rick Weber, Rich Hockett, Richard McDaniel and Ricky McDaniel served as casket bearers.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Alice May Short Keller, 80
Alice May Short Keller was born to Ben and Bessie (Coonrod) Short November 2, 1919, at the Short homestead near Siebert. Alice was the fourth child of eight children. There were four boys and four girls.
She attended school at the Second Central School, and attended and graduated from high school in Seibert. After graduation, she attended one year of college at Colorado Teachers College in Greeley. July 15, 1939, Alice married the love of her life, Burr Keller. To this union one son, Chuck, was born June 6, 1940. Burr and Alice spent their married life on the ranch southwest of Kit Carson. October 1, 1980, Burr was taken from Alice, and she continued to live on the ranch, checking cattle and water, as well as taking care of the needs of many friends and neighbors.
She was very community minded, being active in the First Baptist Church at Eads, the Wild Horse Community Club, and was the existing President of the Cheyenne County Cattlewomen and had held all offices of the Cattlewomen’s Club. She was selected as Master Farm Homemaker at an award luncheon in October 1999. After a six-month battle with cancer, Alice left to be with Burr.
Remaining behind to try and fill Al’s shoes are one son, Chuck, and his wife, Pat, of Lamar; grandson, Ken, and his wife, Denise, and their children, Chase and Kendi, of Syracuse, Kansas, and grandson, Vance, and his wife, Angie, of Syracuse. Also surviving are three sisters, Peg Pursley of Kit Carson, Shirley Matthews of Seibert, and Bunnie Elliott of Burlington; brother, Larry Short, and his wife, Juanita, of Delta; and a host of nieces and nephews.
Preceding her in death were her parents, husband and her brothers, Harley, Paul and Art.
Funeral services were held Monday, June 19, 2000, at 2:00 p.m. at the Kit Carson School auditorium with Pastor Steven Pulls officiating. Prelude selections were provided by Marilyn Bullock, pianist. Cody Stoker sang "How Great Thou Art" and "Amazing Grace."
Casket bearers were Bruce Brock, David Krueger, Gary McNeely, Bob McNeely, Mark McNeeley and Toby Johnson. Honorary escorts were Clayton Hughes, Red Craven, Bill Colvin, Curtis Schrimp, Dutch Johnson, Clax Duvall, Don McNeely, Larry McNeely and Darrell Schallenberger. Interment was at the Kit Carson Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be given in Al’s name to the Kit Carson Fire Department, Kit Carson EMT’s or the Wild Horse Community Club.
Funeral arrangements were under the direct of Love Funeral Home.

Elkana Spady, 88
Elkana Spady was born May 28, 1912. His birth certificate says he was born in Berns, Kansas, but his father’s Bible says he was born in Marion, Kansas. He was the third child of Conrad and Wilheminia "Minnie" (Meier) Spady.
His parents moved from Kansas to Colorado in 1914. They claimed a homestead south of Haswell where several of Minnie’s sisters and brothers also had claims.
When the weather got dry and crops were bad, the family moved to Bronquist, west of Pueblo, where Conrad worked at the steel mill. Minnie and the boys farmed, milked cows, and raise chickens in order to sell cream and eggs. They lived here for six years. In 1925, at the age of 13, Elk moved with his family to Avondale, where Conrad farmed. Later, the family moved to the St. Charles river bottom, much closer to Pueblo. In 1929, Elk left his family and moved to Haswell, where he lived with his uncle, Carl, and aunt, Evelyn Meier, and lived on the "silo field." Elk broke out and farmed 25 acres of the homestead, and 100 acres on Minnie’s homestead. The family did well by farming and milking cows. In 1930, the rest of the family joined Elk at the homestead in Haswell, where they all lent a hand with the farming. At the age of 21, Elk had three surgeries for a ruptured appendix, which almost took his life. At the time of discharge from the hospital after the third surgery, Elk weighed 90 pounds. In 1936, Elk and his brother, Alvin, "batched" on an irrigation farm at Las Animas rented from Ed Simon. At this time, Elk bought a new 1938 Dodge truck, paying $30 per month, with a final payment of $300. This truck was used to haul beets for area farmers, and their own crop during the day. At night, they took turns driving loads of coal to make extra money. Elk also hauled gravel at Eads with Will Singer to make extra money. One day, when the truck broke down, he walked from Galatia to Haswell. Elk attended the Kiowa County Fair the year that it snowed.
Elk did not have much formal education, quitting school at the sixth grade level to help on the farm. The first school that he attended was a quarter mile south of the homestead. Elk’s first grade teacher was later to be his daughter-in-law’s grandmother, Mrs. Florence Doak. Elk had worlds of common sense and experiential knowledge that he has passed on to his children, grandchildren, and anyone else who asked his advice or wanted to hear his knowledge. Elk was a great storyteller. His stories were always in demand at family gatherings by his children and grandchildren.
Elk met his wife, Hazel Irene Roberts, at a carnival in Las Animas after work on a Saturday night. They were married Jun 8, 1942, in Syracuse, Kansas. Elk and Hazel lived in the "brown" house on the Simon place in Las Animas until January 13, 1943. At this time Elk, Hazel and Bonnie, who was two months old, moved to the Spady homestead. Elk and Hazel have resided at the homestead for 57 years. He served on the Haswell School Board for eight years. During these years, they have raised their five children, ranched and farmed until Elk’s health forced him to take a partial retirement.
At age 87, Elk was baptized into the Lutheran faith January 17, 2000. Pastor John Kurth baptized him in his home. He was the oldest person that the pastor has baptized.
Elk passed from this life in the family home 38 days after this 88th birthday, the evening of July 5, 2000, at 7:30 p.m. with his wife, Hazel, daughter, Bonnie, and sister-in-law, Kitty Ann Long, by his side. Family and friends will miss him dearly.
Elk is survived by his wife, Hazel; daughters, Bonnie (Dwight) Lessenden and Barbara Wroblewski; sons, Donald Spady, Roger (Vernie) Spady and Richard (Carole) Spady; grandchildren, Travis, Celena and Tearle Lessenden, Joe (Tammie), Cari and Linda Wroblewski, Heath (Charity) and Lonnie (Beth) Spady, Reese (Amy), Mandy and Chad Spady, friend Lucrecia Parker, and Millicent and Tara Spady; great grandchildren, Taylor and Jaxon Spady, Michael and Sheyenne Spady, Dustin Wroblewski, and one more expected in October. Also surviving are two sisters, Sara Truitt of Dallas, Texas, and Edna (Kenneth) Boudrie of St. Clair Shores, Michigan, and several cousins, nieces and nephews.
Elk was preceded in death by his parent, two half brothers, one brother and three sisters.
Funeral services for Elkana Spady were held Saturday, July 8, 2000, at the Haswell Community Building in Haswell with Pastor John Kurth officiating. Philomene Liesen served as pianist. Vocalists were Doris Lessenden, Kristie Bohrer and Larry Bohrer. Musical selections were "Whispering Hope," "Daddy’s Hands," and "Go Rest High on the Mountain." Casket bearers were Elk’s grandsons, Heath Spady, Lonnie Spady, Travis Lessenden, Tearle Lessenden, Chad Spady, Reese Spady and Joe Wroblewski. Honorary casket bearers were Elk’s special friends, Clarence Long, Pete Stoker, Done Stawlley, George Blackburn, Ed Dean, Ray Schneider and Alvin Siefkas.
Final committal services were held at the Haswell Cemetery.
Following the conclusion of the services, the large gathering returned to the Haswell Community Building for a time of refreshment and a meal provided by the Haswell Community.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: