Miscellaneous Orange County, California Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Nov. 29
Richard Lee Felker
The location for services for Irvine elementary school teacher Richard Felker has been changed to Saddleback Church on Saddleback Parkway in Lake Forest. The memorial service will be Saturday, Dec. 1, at 11:30 a.m.
Mr. Felker, 50, died Nov. 17 of brain cancer. A lengthy obituary ran in the Irvine World News Nov. 22. 
Memorial donations can be made to the Richard Felker Education Fund through the Irvine Public Schools Foundation. Checks should be made out to IPSF-Rick Felker Outdoor Ed and sent to Irvine Public Schools Foundation, 4330 Barranca Parkway, Suite 235, Irvine 92604.

Paul Elton Franklin
Irvine resident Paul Elton Franklin died Nov. 18 at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, after a long illness with a blood condition. He was 75.
He was born March 3, 1926, in Long Beach. He grew up in El Segundo, then a small Standard Oil "company town." His father worked for Standard Oil in human resources. Mr. Franklin graduated from El Segundo High School and earned a degree in engineering from University of California Los Angeles in 1950.
He went to work for North American Rockwell and stayed with the company about 20 years as an engineer. 
He and his wife Dona were married in 1953 in San Clemente. They lived most of their married life in Corona del Mar. They moved to Rancho San Joaquin in Irvine about 2 _ years ago.
After working 20 years as an engineer, Mr. Franklin became a real estate broker around 1970. He was active in the California Association of Realtors and the Newport Mesa Association of Realtors, where he was president in 1981. He was a certified commercial investment member (CCIM), which was equivalent to having a master's degree in real estate, said his wife. He was active with the Southern California Chapter of CCIM. He spent much of his spare time doing various voluntary activities with his professional organizations. He loved his work and especially enjoyed working with people, said his wife. He worked until his illness forced him to slow down.
"He was friendly and outgoing. He was a salesman and he loved people and his career. His resume is filled with things he's done," she said.
As part of his business, he was a member of a number of community organizations in the Newport area. For the past 10 years or so he was active with Speak Up Newport (SUN), a group that supports positive planning for Newport Beach. 
Services were private. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
He is survived by is wife Dona Franklin of Irvine; his stepdaughter, Terry Melton of Arizona; his brother, Julian Franklin of Long Beach; and two grandsons.

Nov. 22
Richard Lee Felker
Longtime Irvine elementary school teacher Richard Lee Felker died Nov. 17 on his 50th birthday. He was at home in Coto de Caza after suffering from a malignant brain tumor for about a year.
A memorial service is planned for Saturday, Dec. 1, at 11 a.m. It is tentatively planned at O'Connor Laguna Hills Mortuary in Laguna Hills. Confirmation is available by calling the mortuary at (949) 581-4300 or by contacting school officials.
Mr. Felker taught mostly sixth grade at Northwood and Canyon View elementary schools since 1982.
He loved teaching. He especially enjoyed the outdoor education program that takes sixth graders to camp for a week, and he attended with his students each year. 
"He was one of those people who was like a big brother to me," said colleague Judy Dickey at Northwood Elementary.
"He was fun to teach with and he loved the kids. He was a technology wizard. He knew everything about technology. He was a really, really nice person. He was kind of quiet with friends, but in the classroom he really came alive with the kids. He gave them everything and encouraged each one to do his best.
"He is really, really missed. He was a really nice all-around guy." 
Mr. Felker was especially known for his technical expertise.
"He was a great guy. He was teacher of the year at Northwood and they wrote a poem about him, 'Rick, Rick, please come quick'" said Steve Garretson, who taught with Mr. Felker for 15 years and now works at the school district office.
"He was Mr. Fix-it and loved by everyone. They knew they could call him and he could get their computers up and running again. He was a really good guy," said Garretson. 
"It is very hard. We are really sad here. He was like one of the pillars of the school," said Northwood Principal Lydia Wells.
Mr. Felker was born Nov. 17, 1951, in Long Beach, the second oldest in a family of six brothers. He grew up in the Torrance and Manhattan Beach area and graduated from West High School in Torrance.
He attended El Camino College and then earned a degree in psychology at California State University Dominguez Hills. He earned a master's degree in education at United States International University.
After college, he spent six years in the Naval Reserve and started his teaching career. He taught first and second grades in South Central Los Angeles and came to the Irvine school district in 1982. 
He and his wife, Patricia, were married in 1975 on the Princess Louise in San Pedro. They first lived in the Redondo Beach area. They lived in several Orange County locations, including Irvine, and most recently lived in Coto de Caza.
In his spare time Mr. Felker enjoyed working with computers. He also liked the mountains and camping and fishing. He was a car buff as well and especially liked sports cars, said his wife.
Mr. Felker is survived by his wife, Patricia A. Felker, of Coto de Caza; his daughters, Melissa A. Felker and Courtney E. Felker, both of Coto de Caza; and his brother, John Felker, of Trabuco Canyon.
Because outdoor education was always a joy for Mr. Felker, the Rick Felker Education Fund has been established through the Irvine Education Foundation.
The fund will be used to help students who would otherwise not be able to attend outdoor education in the sixth grade in Irvine. Donation checks can be made out to IPSF-Rick Felker Outdoor Ed and sent to the Irvine Public Schools Foundation, 4330 Barranca Parkway, Irvine 92604.

Martha Claretta Olund Mills
Former Irvine resident Martha Claretta Olund Mills died Nov. 10 in Parkland Village, McMinnville, Ore. She had moved to Oregon from University Park last year to be closer to family. She was 89.
She was born Sept. 14, 1912, in Portland, Ore. Her father was an engineer who worked with cement and she grew up in Honolulu where he worked on some of the first modern concrete buildings in the islands.
When she was growing up there was only one hotel on Waikiki Beach. Her father also worked on the San Francisco Bay Bridge when the family lived in Hawaii. 
She graduated from high school in Hawaii in 1931 and came to Los Angeles for two years to study art and design at Chouinard School of the Arts. She returned to the University of Hawaii for two more years and studied design and painting.
In 1935, she married Andrew Nicoll in Hawaii, where they lived. She took a correspondence course and earned a degree in mechanical engineering. She went to work for the Army and was sent to Los Angeles. She and her husband divorced in 1954.
In Southern California she worked as an engineer for Douglas, Hughes and finally Northrop on aeronautics projects, including the Hawk missile launcher and loader. She was one of two female senior engineers at Northrop when she first held that position. She retired in 1971.
After retirement, she enjoyed painting and sculpting. She married Charles Mills in 1979. They lived in University Park in Irvine and they continued painting and sculpting together and loved to travel.
After Mr. Mills died in 1994, she continued to sculpt and paint. Watercolors were her specialty and she sculpted in clay, brass and alabaster. She had a group of close art friends at Leisure World, where she also took Saddleback College emeriti courses. She was also involved with the Farmers Market in Irvine.
At Mrs. Mills' request, there was no service.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Charles Mills, and by her sister, Eloise Walker, of Portland. She is survived by her stepdaughter, Marlene Goldman, of Los Angeles; her cousins, Lois Peterson of McMinnville and Lalonnie Self of Newberg, Ore.
Memorial donations can be made to Health Dynamics Hospice, c/o Macy & Son Funeral Home, 135 N. Evans, McMinnville, Ore. 97128. 

Nov. 15
Raydean E. Mahler
Longtime Irvine resident Raydean E. Mahler died Oct. 23 of leukemia. He was 74. He and his wife had lived in their Turtle Rock Hills home since before there was a city of Irvine. They moved to Irvine from the Sacramento area in 1969.
Mr. Mahler was born Sept. 2, 1927, in the small town of Freedom, Okla. He grew up the eldest of four brothers in Bonners Ferry, in the rural far north of Idaho. He was a lifelong outdoorsman and loved fishing and hunting. After graduating from high school he served in the military and was a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict.
During his training in Santa Barbara he met his wife, Barbara, who was going to school there. They married Aug. 12, 1951, at the Mission Inn in Riverside. He then left for officer's candidate school and military duty. After he returned from his military duty, both he and his wife returned to school and graduated together from University of California Berkeley. He earned a degree in engineering and business. 
They moved to Carmichael in the Sacramento area. After working briefly for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District he set up an office for Mrs. Mahler's family's firm, Surveyors Service Co. The company sells and services surveying equipment. They moved to Irvine in 1969 when he took over as president of the firm, headquartered in Costa Mesa. Under his leadership the company opened branch offices in Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada. He also opened an Industrial Division to provide specially designed measuring equipment. He retired in 1994 but stayed on as chairman of the board. His son, Stanton Mahler, is CEO of the company. The company marked its 75th anniversary this year and Mr. Mahler was pleased to attend the celebration of the four-generation family business. The business was an important part of his life, said his wife.
He enjoyed his work, said his wife, and was always an outgoing people person. He was a lifetime member of the American Congress of Surveying and Mapping and of the California Land Surveyors Association.
The Mahlers celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this year.
Aside from his family, Mr. Mahler's first love was boating and fishing. The Mahlers owned a 36-foot powerboat, which they kept in Dana Point Harbor. They were members of the Dana Point Yacht Club. He had a passion for marlin fishing and spent many summers filled with trips fishing for marlin and tuna around Catalina Island. He particularly liked to bring in the first marlin of the season, which runs from July through October. When the first marlin of the season was brought into the harbor at Avalon on Catalina, officials used to shoot a cannon, take a photo and give the fisherman a bottle of champagne. Mr. Mahler collected many a bottle of champagne for bringing in the first marlin, said his wife.
"It was a longstanding joke at the yacht club that the trophy for the first marlin always belonged to Ray," she added.
He also loved the mountains and trees all his life and enjoyed their cabin at Idyllwild. He was a member of the Idyllwild Cedar Glen Community Association.
Mr. Mahler was a member of the University of California Alumni Association. He was also a member of the UCI University Club and the Turtle Rock Hills Community Association.
His wife said he was always a very active man and did not like to sit still for long. "He was always busy doing something at home or at the office," she said.
Services and burial were Oct. 27 at Pacific View Mortuary in Newport Beach. 
Mr. Mahler is survived by his wife Barbara G. Mahler of Irvine; his daughter and son-in-law, Constance M. and John Hansen of San Jose; his son and daughter-in-law, Stanton C. and Susan Mahler of Trabuco Canyon; his brother and sister-in-law, Lee and Peggy Mahler of Sand Point, Idaho; and three grandchildren, Rachel, Preston and Jason Mahler of Trabuco Canyon.
The family asked that memorial donations be made to the Hoag Hospital Foundation for leukemia research, PO Box 6100, Newport Beach 92658-6100.

Nov. 8
Deanna Kay Mason
Former longtime Irvine resident Deanna Kay Mason of Des Moines, Iowa, died Nov. 1 at the Mayo Clinic Center. She died of a rare blood disease, myelofibrosis. She was 53. True to her giving nature, she loved being a part of medical research at the center and hoped she would be part of finding the cure for the disease, according to her daughter, Maggie Beemer.
Mrs. Mason still had many friends in Orange County where she was active in issues involving children and women. She was on the board of the Children's Home Society and was instrumental in founding the infant childcare program at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Irvine. She also ran a day care business in her home for many years. A memorial service will be held Saturday, Nov. 10, at 10 a.m. at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 4400 Barranca in Woodbridge. 
Mrs. Mason was born Feb. 28, 1948, in Upland. She grew up in Upland and Claremont and graduated from Claremont High School in 1966. 
She married Stanley Ivan Mason in May 1969 in Stuttgart, Germany, where Mr. Mason was in the U.S. Army. They lived in Germany until late 1971 when they returned to Southern California. They made their home in Claremont and she worked at Simco, where she developed and tested recipes for microwave ovens. Mr. Mason had a career as a real estate appraiser.
They moved to Irvine in 1977. They lived in the Irvine Groves. After leaving her job at Simco in 1979, she started a child care business in her home so she could be at home with her two daughters. She loved working with children.
Her daughter remembered her mother as an outgoing, friendly person who was always concerned about making other people comfortable. She was especially interested in issues that involved children and women. She was involved in women's ministry at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, where she was a member since 1980. She also helped take Communion to people who were confined to their homes. Her daughter recalled going with her mother on several occasions to feed and visit homeless people in a Laguna Beach program.
In 1994, Mrs. Mason became a financial planner.
In 1997 her husband died suddenly of an aneurysm when he was 53. Mrs. Mason decided to move to Des Moines to live in a more rural area and to try something new. She had established her own small home complete with a yellow Labrador puppy named Madison.
"She was full of life. She was always a cup-half-full kind of person, rarely a cup-half-empty person. When she wasn't she would realize it and bounce right back," said her daughter.
Mrs. Mason is survived by her daughters and their husbands, Heather and Michael Masonjones of Tampa, Fla., and Margaret and Andrew Beemer of Des Moines; her parents, David E. and Mona L. Rahn of Upland; her sister, Donna McClure of Victorville; and her grandchildren, Sawyer, Kellerin and Graelyn Masonjones and Samuel and Jonathan Beemer.

Sally Cho Lee
Irvine resident Sally Cho Lee died Oct. 29 at Irvine Medical Center following a stroke. She was 86.
Services will be held Saturday, Nov. 10, at 11 a.m. at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles. There will be a reception following at Pickwick Gardens, 1001 Riverside Drive, Burbank.
Mrs. Lee was born in 1915 in Beijing, China. She came from an educated family and attended several Chinese universities, where she studied English. She moved to Shanghai in 1937. In 1947, she married Mong Ping Lee, who worked in the Nationalist government. They moved to Taipei in 1949 and Mr. Lee continued to work in the government.
In 1956 the Lees moved to Los Angeles where Mr. Lee was the Consul General for Nationalist China. As a diplomat's wife, Mrs. Lee entertained often and was active in the Chinese community of Los Angeles. She had worked as a translator while still living in China before moving to Taipei. In Los Angeles she taught Mandarin Chinese at California State University Northridge. Mr. Lee retired from the diplomatic service in 1966 and taught at several universities in Southern California. He died in 1973.
Mrs. Lee remained in Los Angeles until 1977 when she moved to Irvine. She lived in Woodbridge and Deerfield. She had a close group of friends all her life, including friends from her days at university in China. She was active at the Lakeview Senior Center, especially with the Evergreen Chinese Senior Association.
In her spare time she liked to play ping pong at the senior center. Her daughter said she also enjoyed match-making and had successfully introduced more than two dozen couples among her friends and acquaintances.
"She was a very social, outgoing person and had many friends from many years ago," said her daughter.
Mrs. Lee is survived by her sons and daughters-in-law, William and Karen Lee of Piedmont, and David and Carol Lee of Irvine; her daughter and son-in-law, Frances Lee and Robert Miller of Irvine; her brothers, Conrad Cho of Taipei and Frank Cho of Laguna Woods; her sister, Margaret Kuo of Champaign, Ill.; and her grandchildren, Jennifer Ng, Nadia Perisi, Leanne Ng, Carlin Lee, Doug Lee and Jim Lee.
The family said that memorial donations may be made to Asian Pacific American Legal Clinic, 1145 Wilshire Blvd., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles 90017.

Benedict Martin Erchul
Irvine resident Benedict Martin Erchul died Oct. 1 of congestive heart failure. He had the condition for a number of years but his condition deteriorated rapidly after his wife, Mary Erchul, died in May. He died at Chapman Medical Center. He was 73.
Mr. Erchul was born July 15, 1928, in Soudan, a small town in the far north of Minnesota, where his father was a miner. He grew up in Ely, Minn., the youngest surviving child in a family of 11 children. He graduated from high school there and spent time in the military. 
While attending college, he met Mary Joanne Brown at a dance. They married in Ely on his birthday, July 15, 1950. They made their home in Virginia, Minn. He was skilled as an electrician and worked for an artificial limb company. The company transferred him to Southern California in 1967. They made their home in La Crescenta, where they raised their seven children. Mr. Erchul worked for the Los Angeles County roads department and for the Los Angeles County Fire Department. He retired in 1990 and then moved to Northwood in Irvine. 
While living in La Crescenta, the Erchuls had a busy social life with the Elks Club and still had many friends from that area.
The Erchuls were members of St. John Neumann Catholic Church and then St. Thomas More Catholic Church in Irvine. They also went regularly to 24 Hour Fitness gym at Culver Center.
Mr. Erchul was a Jack of all trades, said his daughter Patricia Johnson. He had a garage full of tools that he loved to tinker with and used to do projects around the house. He also had a vegetable garden that his daughter described as "one of his small passions."
He and his wife loved to travel in their motor home. They often visited relatives and friends in Minnesota but also went to many other places across the United States and Canada.
Services were held Oct. 6 at St. Thomas More Catholic Church with the Rev. Timothy Doyle presiding. His ashes were scattered at sea.
Mr. Erchul is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Dan and Mary Erchul of Rochester, Minn.; his sons, Paul Erchul of Antioch and Ben Erchul of San Luis Obispo; his daughters and sons-in-law, Patricia and Greg Johnson of Huntington Beach, and Elizabeth Erchul and Richard Milcov of San Bruno; his daughters, Katherine Erchul of Irvine, and Mary Erchul of Santa Cruz; his sisters, Marge Schmidl of Huntington Beach, Tory Bobence of Minnesota, Ag Mattson of Minnesota, and Fran Bizal of Minnesota; his brother, Joseph Erchul of Las Vegas; and his four grandchildren, Niles Wigley of Utah, Cheryl Erchul of Colorado, and Olivia and Meredith Johnson of Huntington Beach. 

Nov. 1
Theodore J. Beed
Theodore J. Beed died Oct. 25 of cancer at his Irvine home. He and his wife, Alfreda, had fulfilled a lifelong dream of living in California by moving to Irvine last November. 
He loved riding his electric scooter along the paths in the greenbelts near his home in Smoketree.
Services were held at Saddleback Chapel in Tustin and at Michaels Funeral Home, Schaumburg, Ill. He was interred at Maryhill Cemetery in Chicago, Ill.
Mr. Beed was born Jan. 17, 1914, in Chicago. He grew up there with three brothers and a sister. 
He recalled when street lights were gas lamps and when they were changed to electric lights. 
He served as a medic in the U.S. Army in northern Europe for four years during World War II. Before being drafted in 1942 he worked for the Post Office.
During those years he met his wife Alfreda at a wedding in Chicago. They had dated a few times when he was drafted and sent to New Orleans. After sending her a watch that he considered an engagement gift, he called a surprised Alfreda and told her he was coming to Chicago in three days and wanted to get married. Alfreda organized a full wedding with bridesmaids on that short notice and they were married July 4, 1943, according to their daughter Elaine.
Mr. Beed returned from the war and went back to work for the Post Office. He was a postal supervisor for many years in Chicago before he retired. They moved to Florida and lived there about 10 years before coming to Irvine.
Throughout his life, Mr. Beed emphasized the importance of education for his children, Elaine and Gene, saying they could never have too much education. Both became physicians. His daughter married an attorney and his son married another physician.
Mr. Beed was a man of many interests and hobbies. He enjoyed electronics and his daughter remembered him taking a TV repair course just after getting the family's first set. 
He developed his own photos and taught his children about the process. His greatest interest was in gardening, she said. He loved to grow flowers and vegetables of all kinds.
"He was always monkeying in the garden," said his wife.
The Beeds were active in the community when they lived in Chicago and Mr. Beed was a member of many clubs. 
In Irvine the Beeds participated in the chorus at the Lakeview Senior Center. They attended St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Irvine, where Mrs. Beed sings in the choir.
Mr. Beed is survived by his wife, Alfreda Beed of Irvine; his daughter and son-in-law, Elaine Beed and Ron Nims of Columbus, Ohio; his son and daughter-in-law, Eugene T. and Margaret Beed of Irvine; his sister-in-law, Lorraine Wilmoth of Florida; and six grandchildren, Courtney, Mallory and Alex Beed, and Nichole, Natalie and Jay Nims.

Oct. 25
Howard Drew Sipherd
Former Irvine resident Howard Drew Sipherd died Oct. 11 at home after surviving nearly five years of congestive heart failure. He was 88 and lived with his daughter and son-in-law, Susan and Richard Bigley, of Fallbrook.
A graveside service was planned for today, Oct. 25, at Pacific View Mortuary, Newport Beach. The Rev. David Comegys was to preside over the service.
Mr. Sipherd was born Feb. 23, 1913, in Grand River, Iowa, the youngest of five boys of Webb and Edith Sipherd. He moved to Orange in 1922 where his father became a builder. He graduated from Orange High School in 1932 and continued his education at Santa Ana College.
He met his beloved wife, Frieda, the youngest of six girls, when she was 14 and a student at Santa Ana High School. They met at a dance when his best friend married one of her sisters.
Dancing was one of the couple's passions. For years they danced every week at the Rendezvous Ballroom in Newport Beach. 
The Sipherds were married July 4, 1934, in Santa Ana after she graduated from high school.
During World War II, Mr. Sipherd was in the U.S. Navy and served as a gunner's mate after completing torpedo school. His young wife moved from their home in Santa Ana to several places, including New York City, so she could be nearby when he came into port.
They returned to Southern California after the war and settled in Lancaster in 1950. There they owned and operated the Credit Bureau of Antelope Valley and raised their daughter, Susan.
The Sipherds retired to Irvine in 1978 where they lived in the Ranch. Mrs. Sipherd died in 1998. In 1999, Mr. Sipherd and his daughter moved to Fallbrook when she married Richard Bigley.
Mr. Sipherd was active in community during his career. He belonged to the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce and Rotary International. He also sponsored career training programs in the high school there.
When he was 55, Mr. Sipherd took up golf. He was an avid player until 1997 when he had to stop due to failing health. He and his wife belonged to the Antelope Valley Country Club and played at several Southern California courses. He played every week at local courses, including San Joaquin Golf Course and Mesa Verde Golf Course.
The Sipherds also enjoyed square dancing. 
Mr. Sipherd was a history buff and especially liked American history, said his daughter. He loved to read about World War I and World War II.
Mr. Sipherd was a friendly and outgoing man, said his daughter. He also had a wonderful sense of humor.
"He had a million jokes and a million stories," she said, adding that her father was a gentle and kind person as well. He loved children and often had neighborhood kids help him do things in this home in the Ranch.
The Sipherds were members of the Church of Religious Science and attended church in Newport Beach.
In addition to his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. Sipherd is survived by his brother, Irwin Sipherd, of Tucson, Ariz.
The family suggested that memorial donations be made to Fallbrook Hospice, 624 E. Elder Street, Fallbrook 92028.

Oct. 11
Henry Cord Meyer 
A remembrance gathering is planned for UC Irvine founding history department chair Henry Cord Meyer.
All friends and family are invited to come Sunday, Oct. 21, from 3 to 5 p.m. at the UCI University Club on campus. Before his death, he told family members that if they had to have something there should be "chairs to sit on, lots of food and drink, and no sadness," said his wife, Helen Meyer.
Henry Cord Meyer died Sept. 30 at his home in Claremont, where he and his wife had moved in March after living many years in Laguna Beach. He was 88 and had been undergoing treatment for cancer. He died peacefully after briefly rallying from recent treatment, said his son, Hank Meyer.
Henry Meyer was born Feb. 12, 1913, in Chicago. His father was a banker who had immigrated from Germany and his mother a German governess for a wealthy immigrant German family. The two met on an ocean liner and they traveled on ships to and from Europe as young Henry was growing up. Henry loved ocean liners all his life, and knew the history of many of the ships, said his wife.
In fact, modes of travel were among his lifelong passions. His wife said he loved to ride on trains and ships. It was his mother's stories of zeppelins that gave birth to Henry's lifelong romance with lighter-than-air ships.Meyer became an internationally recognized expert on the history of zeppelins and the zeppelin industry after his retirement from UCI. Germans of his parents' era were fascinated by zeppelins, said Helen Meyer.
His mother was an adventurous and lively person and had told no end of stories of the airships and had many pictures of them.As an adult, Meyer decided to investigate some of the stories his mother told and discovered a wealth of unrecorded stories of individuals, politics and the machinations of the ligher-than-air industry.
Beginning in 1979, he published a number of historical books about zeppelins. His most recent book, "Airships in International Affairs, 1890-1940," will be available at bookstores in a few weeks. A previous book, "Airshipmen, Businessmen, and Politics, 1890-1940," was part of the Smithsonian History of Aviation series.Henry Meyer grew up in Chicago and Colorado. He earned his bachelor's degree from the University of Colorado and his master's degree from the University of Iowa. After studying a year in Vienna, he returned to the United States. He received his doctorate from Yale in 1941.
Before he could get started on his academic career, he was among a group of historians called to Washington for intelligence work shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. He was commissioned as an ensign in the Navy, but spent World War II working for the Office of Strategic Services, the precursor of the CIA.After the war, Meyer took a job as a history professor at Pomona College. He and his family stayed in Pomona until 1964, when he came to UCI to establish the history department. He retired from UCI in 1981, but remained as a professor emeritus. He continued to do research and write until shortly before he died.Meyer's academic specialty was modern European history. He taught and wrote about German history since 1815, European history since 1848, 19th and 20th century European diplomatic history and German-Slav relations in the 19th and 20th centuries.In his own recent description of his work, Meyer wrote, "I have been particularly interested in the roles of slogans and images in the perceptions of one nation by another and the degree to which their respective histories have been affected by these emotional and psychological phenomena. Most recently I have focused on phenomena of political manipulation of technology."Meyer is remembered by friends and family as a man with a great sense of humor who always had stories to tell. He loved collecting stamps, travel and learning about ocean liners and airships, said his wife."He was very friendly and outgoing and always had a story to add to any conversation. He had a group of buddies he ate with every week at the University Club for a long time," said longtime friend Mabry Steinhaus.Meyer was one of the founders of the UCI University Club and worked to raise money for it for many years. He also helped found the UCI Wednesday Forum at the University Club. In addition to the remembrance celebration Oct. 21, close friends and family are invited to attend graveside services Friday, Oct. 19, at 11 a.m., at Oak Park Cemetery in Claremont.He is survived by his wife, Helen Meyer, of Claremont; his sons, Henry Cord Meyer III (Hank) of Laguna Beach, and Christopher Meyer of Fullerton; and his daughter Dallas (Jane) Celecia of Laguna Beach. 

Sept. 27
Walter Casella
Irvine resident Walter Casella died at home Sept. 17 of congestive heart failure after about a year of declining health. He was 77.
He was born in Clymer, Pa., to an Italian family. He was the first born son, the family's first child to be born in the United States. He graduated from high school in Dunkirk, N.Y., and attended college.
He was a decorated veteran, and served at sea in the Navy during World War II and the Korean War. 
He and his wife, Iola, would have celebrated their 53rd anniversary in October. They were married in 1948 in New York state. They moved from New York in 1963 to Laguna Beach and later made their home in El Toro. They moved to the El Camino Real section of Irvine in 1996.
Mr. Casella spent his career as a plumber and pipe fitter in commercial construction. He retired about 15 years ago. After retirement he and his wife traveled around the country in a motor home almost every year. They visited every state in the continental United States and he always loved seeing someplace new, said his daughter, Maria Williams.
He was also close to his five children and their families. He enjoyed spending time with them and working on projects in their homes. He was proud that he could help each family, that they all had a part of him in their homes, his daughter said.
Mr. Casella was outgoing and friendly and had friends everywhere he went, she added. He helped start the Elks Lodge in Mission Viejo in the early 1970s and was a member of Elks for 37 years.
Memorial services were private. Interment was at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel in Tustin.
Mr. Casella is survived by his wife, Iola Casella of Irvine; his daughters, Patricia A. Williams of San Clemente, Deborah L. Kowalcyk of Laguna Hills, Susan C. Reed of Sheridan, and Maria A. Williams of La Habra Heights; his son, William M. Casella of Newport Beach; 14 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Sept. 20
Lorraine Osterhues
Longtime Irvine resident Lorraine Osterhues died Sept. 11 at her home in Turtle Rock. She was the former owner and ran Parkview Florist for about 14 years in the 1980s and 1990s. She was 68 and had fought a long battle with cancer.
Mrs. Osterhues was born Nov. 4, 1932, in the Bronx, New York. From the age of 3 to 16, she and her family lived in Fairlawn, N.J. Her family recalls her stories of sleigh rides and trips to the shore. He father died when she was a teen. In 1948, the family moved to the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles and later to Glendale.
She married Tom van Rensselaer and the couple made their home in Covina. Her husband died after a long illness when he was in his early 40s, leaving her to raise their three children.
In 1974, she married Gordon Osterhues. They lived in Westlake Village before moving to Turtle Rock in Irvine in 1978.
Mrs. Osterhues had always had a passion for flower design and loved having her florist business in Parkview Center. She was the source of support for several single mothers she employed in her shop. One wrote to the Osterhues family, "I never felt so accepted and loved by people before."
Mrs. Osterhues' creativity carried over into decorating her home and the beauty of her garden. She loved to work on her home and in her garden, said her sister-in-law Mary Linda Dedeaux. She was also a gourmet cook.
"We all remember how meticulously and carefully Lorraine planned and prepared gorgeous gourmet meals. And she never looked frazzled," her sister-in-law said.
Two of Mrs. Osterhues' outstanding characteristics were her care for others and her courageous strength, added Dedeaux. She was not involved in large charities, but made her mark with simple acts of caring and love for others.
"Lorraine cared enough to take the time," Dedeaux said.
She also had a marvelous sense of humor, and her son Jeff recalls giggling bouts as she and her children sat around the table.
Mrs. Osterhues lost her daughter Laura Longsdale in 1995, from injuries she had suffered in an automobile accident the year before. Mrs. Osterhues and her husband took over the task of raising their 12-year-old granddaughter, Ashley Longsdale. In 1999, Mrs. Osterhues's 12-year-old grandson, Dane van Rensselaer, died of a brain tumor.
"Lorraine was a very giving person and was always thinking of ways to help other people in these hard times. She was a good listener," said Dedeaux.
She loved the simple pleasures of life, and she made her home a restful, welcoming haven to friends and family, she added.
Mrs. Osterhues and her husband enjoyed traveling and made trips to Europe and Hawaii and recently visited New York.
A memorial Mass was celebrated Sept. 15, at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Irvine.
Mrs. Osterhues is survived by her husband, Gordon Osterhues, of Irvine; her son, Jeff van Rensselaer of Laguna Niguel; her son and daughter-in-law David and Mona van Rensselaer of San Marcos; her sister Joan Shestag of Salt Lake City, Utah; her sister-in-law Mary Linda Dedeaux of Pasadena; her brother-in-law and his wife Frank and Judy Osterhues of Huntington Beach; and her grandchildren, Ashley Longsdale, Chris van Rensselaer and Morgan van Rensselaer.
The family asked that memorial donations be made to the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, 18 Technology, Suite 14, Irvine 92618.

Sept. 13
Chester Slosarczyk
Longtime Irvine resident Chester Slosarczyk died Sept. 5 at his College Park home surrounded by his family. He was 70.
He collapsed in July during services at St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Woodbridge and was diagnosed with cancer, according to his daughter-in-law, Kim Slosarczyk.
Mr. Slosarczyk was born April 21, 1931, in Kozy, Poland. He grew up and attended university in Poland, earning a degree in mechanical engineering. He owned a machine shop in Poland.
He and his wife, Helcha "Helena," were married in Poland and had been married 48 years when he died. The family came to the United States in 1964 and moved to College Park in Irvine in 1973. Mr. Slosarczyk was an engineer and manager at Dresser Industries. He and his wife attended St. John Neumann Catholic Church regularly.
He was a quiet man, but well-loved and warm-hearted, said his daughter-in-law. He loved to garden and his front and back yards were filled with beautiful flowers and shrubs. He created a topiary about six feet tall of a horse and rider in his back garden, she said.
He was also known for his cooking. 
"He was a petite man, but he loved to cook. He made the best food," said his daughter-in-law. 
He also enjoyed working on cars and had a Jensen, a British sports car, that he loved to tinker with.
Mr. and Mrs. Slosarczyk were still close to their many relatives in Poland and traveled to visit them almost every summer. 
Services were Sept. 10 at St. John Neumann Catholic Church and interment was at Pacific View Memorial Park in Newport Beach. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
Mr. Slosarczyk is survived by his wife, Helcha "Helena" Slosarczyk of Irvine; his son, Joe Slosarczyk of Irvine, his son and daughter-in-law, Stan and Kim Slosarczyk of Irvine; his brother, Stanislaw Slosarczyk of Poland; his sister Wladka Slosarczyk of Poland; and two grandsons, Andrew and Anthony Slosarczyk of Irvine. 

Sept. 6
Donald Brayton Tipping
Longtime Irvine resident Donald Brayton Tipping died Aug. 25 at Irvine Regional Medical Center. Surrounded by family members, he was bright and alert until near the end of his life, according to his daughter Leslee Stauffer. He was 79.
A memorial service and celebration of life for friends and family is planned for Saturday, Sept. 8, at 4 p.m. at University United Methodist Church, at the corner of University and Culver.
A private family funeral service was held Aug. 29 at Pacific View Memorial Park in Newport Beach. Pallbearers were his two sons, Donald Brayton Tipping II and Douglas Brian Tipping, and four grandsons, Mychal Tipping Dourson, Benjamin Leland Commons, Michael Barnett Commons and Alexander Harrison Stauffer.
Mr. Tipping was born Feb. 19, 1922, in Eveleth, Minn., the third of eight children. He and his siblings remained best friends throughout their lives, said Mr. Tipping's daughter. He spent some of his childhood in Joplin, Mo. He moved to the Detroit, Mich., area where he served as a sergeant in the Army Air Corps, 16th Weather Squadron, from 1942 to 1946. 
He married Ann Fetchik of Ferndale, Mich., in 1944. They lived in Ferndale for 37 years, raised their four children, and were active in the community.
Mr. Tipping graduated in 1952 from Wayne State University in Detroit with a degree in mechanical engineering. He worked for the Defense Division of Chrysler Corp. for 35 years and then for General Dynamics Defense. He concluded his career as an independent consultant in the defense industry. 
Mr. and Mrs. Tipping were in Irvine in 1979 visiting their son who lived in the Ranch. They entered a lottery to buy a home in Woodbridge, a novel concept to them as Michigan residents. They were lucky, won the chance to purchase a home and moved to Woodbridge in 1981.
"Alton was a dead end road, Jeffrey was a tiny two-lane road. There was no Woodbridge High School, Target shopping center. As a matter of fact, there were very few places to shop. The Spectrum was all farmland; most of Culver and all of University/Jeffrey area was agricultural," recalled their daughter.
The Tippings enjoyed living in Irvine and were active in the community, she said. Mr. Tipping participated in a local investment club, a tennis club and three bridge clubs ­ two men's clubs and a couple's club. Mrs. Tipping is a member of the Irvine Women's Club.
Stauffer said her father was a man of extreme integrity, with a quick sense of humor and astute observations that made him both delightful and educational to be with. She added that his sense of humor was so dry people often did not know he was kidding.
"The most important thing in my father's life was his family. He was very close to each of his children, grandchildren and his brothers and sisters. His grandchildren all knew him very very well and would tell you that he was the most wonderful, loving man that ever lived," said his daughter.
"Don Tipping's family surrounded him with love every day of his life and yet could never begin to match the measure of devotion they received from him," she said.
Mr. Tipping is survived by his wife, Ann Tipping, of Irvine; his sons and daughters-in-law Donald Brayton Tipping II and Melissa Tipping of Santa Ana and Douglas Brian and Anne Tipping of Irvine; his daughters and sons-in-law Leslee Florence and Tony Stauffer of Encinitas and Julia Ann and David Commons of Santa Barbara; and his former daughter-in-law Marilyn L. Tipping of Pleasant Hill.
He is also survived by his five brothers and two sisters, Virginia L. Bull of Omaha, Neb., William E. Tipping of Sarasota, Robert E. Tipping of Sarasota, Roderick G. Tipping of La Quinta, John Marshall Tipping of Seattle, Wash., Katherine Davis of Miami, Fla., and Thomas N. Tipping of Tulsa, Okla.
Also surviving are 14 grandchildren, Donald Brayton Tipping III, Greyson James Tipping, Marissa L. Tipping, Kevin M. Tipping, Garrison Bradford Tipping, Elizabeth Charlotte Tipping, Peter Varnum Commons, Michael Barnett Commons, Benjamin Leland Commons, Daniel Patrick Commons, Mychal Tipping Dourson, Samantha Ann Peel, Michelle Bonnie Stauffer and Alexander Harrison Stauffer; and two great-grandchildren, Brennan E. Commons and Sabrina M. Commons.
The family asked that memorial donations be made to the American Lung Association of Orange County, 1570 E. 17th St., Santa Ana 92705.

Valerie Jean Cordero
Irvine resident Valerie Jean Cordero died Aug. 29 at Fountain Valley Hospital, Fountain Valley. She had been hospitalized about three weeks following surgery. She was 46.
She was born Feb. 10, 1955, in Santa Barbara. The family moved around during her growing-up years when her father worked for the state Highway Department. She graduated in 1973 from Newbury Park High School and she attended Moorpark College.
She had worked as an accountant for the past six years at Dove Canyon Country Club.
When her son was growing up, he attended Alderwood Basics Plus in Woodbridge. She was involved with him in school and sports activities.
She enjoyed drawing in her spare time and was an enthusiastic Angels baseball fan. She also liked to read, especially books by Stephen King and Anne Rice.
"Everybody always loved her. She was bossy and stood her ground, but everybody loved her. People are saying they miss her telling them what to do and how to do it. She was a warm, big-hearted person," said her mother, Betty Jean Cordero.
Services were held Sept. 6 at St. Thomas More Catholic Church. Burial was at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Orange. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
She is survived by her son, David William Cordero, of Irvine; her parents, Betty Jean Cordero and Frank Cordero Sr., of Irvine; her brother Zachary Cordero of Santa Barbara; her brothers and sisters-in-law, Gregory and Lisa Cordero of Santa Cruz, Richard and Sherri Cordero of Santa Ana, Frank and Eileen Cordero of San Clemente, and David C. and Jennifer Cordero of Irvine; and seven nieces and nephews.

Joan Lois Gstoettner
Irvine resident Joan Lois Gstoettner died Aug. 30 at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange. She had suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease about three years. She was 71.
She was born June 28, 1930, in Milwaukee, Wisc. She graduated there in 1948 from Rufus King High School. She and her husband, James Gstoettner, met while they were attending different Milwaukee high schools and played together in a bowling league. They married April 20, 1951, at Capitol Drive Lutheran Church in Milwaukee.
The young couple made their home in Milwaukee until they moved to Spokane, Wash., in 1958, where Mr. Gstoettner worked as an FAA traffic controller. They moved to Santa Ana in 1962 when he transferred as an FAA air traffic controller to work as a civilian at the El Toro Marine Corps base.
They moved to Woodbridge in Irvine about three years ago.
Mrs. Gstoettner worked as an outdoor campus aide at La Quinta High School in Westminster for more than 30 years.
"She loved her job and had great rapport with the kids. She loved the kids," said her husband.
In her spare time she liked to read biographies and enjoyed traveling. She and her husband took cruises to Alaska and Mexico and traveled around the country by car as well. Mrs. Gstoettner loved Las Vegas, her husband added.
She was also devoted to her family and spent time with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
"She was my best friend," said her husband.
Services were held Sept. 2 at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, where the Gstoettners were members since they lived in Santa Ana. Burial was private with arrangements by Fairhaven Mortuary in Santa Ana.
Mrs. Gstoettner is survived by her husband, James Gstoettner, of Irvine; her daughter and son-in-law, Diane and Richard Hardner of Irvine; her daughter, Susan Morris of Lomita; her brother, Richard Kroening of Muskego, Wisc.; her sister, Judy Roberts of Milwaukee, Wisc.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Aug. 30
E. Earle Nelson Jr
Long-time Irvine resident E. Earle Nelson Jr. died of liver cancer Aug. 19. He was 69. He had been diagnosed with the cancer only a month before he died.
Mr. Nelson was born March 5, 1932, in Spring City, Pa., near Philadelphia. His father was a mortician and the family lived in the funeral home with parlor on the main floor and the body preparation in the basement. Mr. Nelson worked with his father in the business as a youth until he left home. He graduated from high school in Spring City in 1950 and then spent four years in the Air Force, where he was a staff sergeant and taught at the electronics school at Kessler Air Force Base in Mississippi.
He went on to Pasadena City College and received an associate arts degree in 1957. He attended University of Southern California in Los Angeles where he received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 1959 and a master's degree in electrical engineering in 1961. He was a member of the USC Engineering Honor Society as well as Eta Kappa Nu and Tau Beta Pi. He joined the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and remained a lifelong member.
Mr. Nelson worked for 32 years for McDonnell Douglas Corp. in the Southern California area. He worked mostly on classified projects, according to his son, Clifford Nelson. He retired about six years ago when he was 63.
Mr. Nelson and his family were some of the first residents in University Park. They purchased their home in 1966 on one of the first streets to be built after the models on Butler. Mr. Nelson was a member of the University Park Tennis Club for many years and still played three of four times a week until about a month before he died.
He was also an avid sports fan with particular devotion to USC football. He was a season ticket holder at USC since he graduated in 1959 and rarely missed a home game, said his son. He played football and basketball in high school, and golf as well as tennis as an adult.
Mr. Nelson was a quiet person. He enjoyed reading and liked to travel, especially to Europe, according to his son.
He was married to his former wife, Donna M. Conterno, in 1956 and they had three children.
He is survived by his son, Steven Nelson of Irvine; his son and daughter-in-law, Clifford and Beverly Nelson of Irvine; his daughter and son-in-law, Cherie and Ronald Rowe of San Diego; his grandchildren, Michael and Douglas Nelson of Irvine, and Kacey and Tucker Rowe of San Diego; and his longtime companion, Ellen Rose of Irvine.

Aug. 23
Dorothy L. Schurman Ardis
Irvine resident Dorothy L. Shurman Ardis died unexpectedly Aug. 7. The Lynnbrooke Assisted Living resident was 86. She and her husband Evart "Slim" Ardis moved there about a year ago from their home in Woodbridge, where they lived since 1982 and were active in the Lakeshore Community Association.
A private family ceremony was held with interment at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove.
Mrs. Ardis was born Dec. 22, 1914, in Falmouth, Mich. Her parents were the late George and Minnie Schurman. She and Slim were sweethearts from age 14 or 15 in the small town of McBain, Mich. His father owned the general store in town and her father was the mail carrier. They married in 1936. In March they celebrated their 65th anniversary with a party at Lynnbrooke attended by all their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Mrs. Ardis attended Missaukee County Normal School as well as Western Michigan University and Northwestern University. She taught in a one-room schoolhouse and after their marriage supported her husband's career as an educator. She enjoyed entertaining and participating actively in his career as superintendent of schools in Freeport, Inkster, East Detroit (now Eastepointe) and Ypsilanti, Mich., for 20 years and then as director of career planning and placement at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor for 23 years. They moved to Irvine after he retired.
The couple enjoyed traveling and had visited extensively around the globe and in nearly every state in the United States, said their son, Tom. 
Mrs. Ardis liked to read and was a longtime member of a book club in Michigan. She also volunteered at a retirement facility in Michigan and continued to enjoy children all her life.
She had been a member of Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove since they moved to Orange County.
Mrs. Ardis is survived by her husband, Evart W. "Slim" Ardis of Irvine; her sons and daughters-in-law, James B. and Patty K. Ardis of Peoria, Ariz., and Thomas J. and Susan B. Ardis of Austin, Texas; her sisters, Ruth Sjoberg of Cadillac, Mich., and Muriel Dilley of West Palm Beach, Fla.; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Memorial donations may be made to Ardis Renaissance Academy, Ypsilanti Public Schools, Ypsilanti, Mich. 48197.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: