Re: last name meaning and origin of Ochoa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Surname Meanings Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JUAN OCHOA (216.230.149.13) on February 06, 2003 at 22:51:01:

In Reply to: Re: last name meaning and origin of Ochoa posted by Ernesto Ochoa on December 20, 2002 at 14:01:42:

: : : : What is the meaning and origin of the Ochoa last name. I'm Mexican

: : According to my Spanish instructor (a man of vast knowledge) the name Ochoa came about from Jews going into hiding in spain. They would take on numbers for last names and intermarried into the society of the Spanish people. He said that that if you have a last name that matched with a number, most likely, you are of Jewish desent.
: : I hope this has helped and not confused this issue any further. By the way, I am a mutt.

: : I think you're instructor is a little off. The name actually comes from the Basque Region of Spain from the Basque Name Otxoa (tx are pronounced ch in Basque) and it means "the wolf."

: : To confirm the answer, yes it comes from the basque region, it means wolf in basque language, even the termination oa is very use in the basque language for example navarra is nafarroa, it will be interesting for you to look in the internet about the basque region, also if you are from mexico you could be descendant from one of the conquistadores who came with cortez

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Surname Meanings Forum ] [ FAQ ]