Miscellaneous San Juan County,  Washington Obituaries


John Pedersen, retired rear admiral
Roche Harbor homeowner John H. Pedersen, a retired Navy rear admiral, passed away March 23 in Long Beach, Calif., due to complications from pneumonia. He was 81.
Born in the Seattle community of Ballard on July 17, 1918, Admiral Pedersen was a cum laude graduate of the University of Washington and the Harvard University Graduate School of Business, earning his MBA in 1947. He enjoyed a career as a chemical engineer and manager with Union Oil Company for more than 30 years. 
He viewed his greatest accomplishment to be his service as rear admiral in the Naval Reserve from 1971-78, when he served as the nation's only flag-rank engineering duty officer. 
Upon his retirement from the Navy in 1978, Admiral Pedersen was awarded the Legion of Merit by the Secretary of the Navy in recognition of his outstanding service to his country. 
Admiral Pedersen began vacationing with his family on San Juan Island in 1968, building a home on Davison Head in the mid-1970s. 
Admiral Pedersen was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia, and is survived by his children: Susan Pedersen Lipper of Sacramento, Calif.; David Pedersen of Hermosa Beach, Calif.; and Anne Pedersen of Carson, Calif. 
Four grandchildren, Joseph, Patricia and Thomas Lipper, and Kyle Pedersen, also survive him. 
Services were held in Long Beach on March 27. 
A scholarship fund has been established in his name at the University of Washington Naval ROTC Blue and Gold Program within the Department of Naval Science. 

Rex Brandt
Internationally-known watercolorist
Rex Brandt, internationally known watercolorist who had a home on Shaw Island for many years, died of a heart attack in his Corona del Mar, Calif., home March 21. He was 85.
Westways magazine called Brandt "one of the central figures in California Art in the mid-20th century."
E. Gene Crain, the foremost collector of Brandt's paintings, said "they are as good as any work in a water-based medium that has ever been painted anywhere at any time."
Rexford Brandt was born in San Diego on Sept. 12, 1914. He received his bachelor's degree at the University of California Berkeley campus, and did graduate work at Stanford University.
Brandt and his wife, artist-sculptor Joan Irving, shared their home, "Blue Sky," at Corona del Mar with hundreds of students over the years, conducting workshops not only in California but in the Northwest - at La Conner, Orcas Island and San Juan Island.
The Brandts established a second home on Shaw Island, where they are remembered by their many friends.
"No way are we able to find words to describe how much Rex and Joan Brandt enhanced the lives of all who knew them on Shaw," Jerry Griffing wrote.
"They donated time and money and works of art to our library and community club. They were such good neighbors, working, sketching, sailing, picnicking, and sharing the joys of nature and island life.
"After Joan died in 1995, Rex never returned to visit our island. It is hard to think of one without the other."
The Brandts were guest instructors at the University of Southern California, the University of Vermont, the Chouinard Institute and at painting classes in Spain, Italy, France and Mexico, as well as many in the United States.
Brandt was a prolific writer and published more than 11 books including, "Watercolor Landscape and Watercolor Technique," "The Artist's Sketchbook and Its Uses," and "The Winning Ways of Watercolor."
In the words of this enthusiastic teacher and mentor: "It's a good feeling, painting at my easel outdoors. Dry grasses rustle. Smells drift like wisps of smoke. The earth pushes against my shoes. The sun burns the tops of my ears."
His students who were privileged to share his talent, his wit, wisdom and experience filled their sketchbooks with lectures and anecdotes and splashed color with new awareness, following his happy admonitions, "Paint from your knees! Paint from your toes!"
Brandt is survived by his daughters, Joan Scarboro and Shelley Walker; sons-in-law, Clark and Sam; grandchildren, Sid and Zoe Scarboro, Joe, Chris and Mimi Walker; and great-grandchildren, Sammy Walker, Jackson and Henry Pappin and Brandt Robert Fisher.
Memorial contributions are suggested for the Nature Conservancy or the San Juan Preservation Trust.

Edward A. Poole
Retired shop superintendent
Edward A. Poole, born 1905 in Richmond, England, passed away peacefully on April 16, 2000.
He spent his early years in Canada and then moved to Seattle in 1926. He started working at Issacson Iron Works as a mechanic and retired 29 years later as a shop superintendent.
He and his second wife, Roberta Light, a native of Orcas, moved to the island in 1970.
Ted was preceded in death by his son Edward in 1977 and his wife Roberta in 1991.
He is survived by his daughter, Elaine Harman; son-in-law, Leon; two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
Ted spent the last year of his life at Olde English Roses Adult Family Home on San Juan Island, where he received loving care.
There will be no services. Remembrances may be made to Orcas Senior Services, PO Box 18, Eastsound, WA 98245.

Douglas C. Martyn
Civic leader
Douglas C. Martyn died at home April 18, 2000 of acute leukemia. He was surrounded by his family.
Doug was born Dec. 19, 1919 in Chicago, Ill. He moved to the Seattle area with his parents when he was four years old. He graduated in 1938 from Highline High School, where he won the state championship on the relay team. He attended the University of Washington.
Doug worked in Boeing management for 41 years, including the Hydrafoil, Saturn Rocket and Windmill projects.
He married Dorothy Pettit April 10, 1942 (the love of his life). He retired in 1982 when he and Dorothy moved to the family summer home in Hansville. He enjoyed scuba diving, boating and fishing with friends and family.
Doug was a past president of North Kitsap Poulsbo Rotary Club, and served for 10 years on the Kitsap County Planning Commission. He was also a former president of the Kingston Ferry Advisory Committee and chairman of the Finance Committee to raise funds to build the Hansville Community Center.
Doug was preceded in death by his parents Edward and Corinne Burns.
He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, son, Gary and longtime companion Lei Loni Hilton; daughter, Lynne Martyn Barnes; son-in-law, Steve Barnes; grandchildren, Ted Barnes, Janine Cook, Michael and Laurie Barnes; and great-grandchildren, Robert and Ashleigh Barnes.
Doug will be greatly missed by his family and friends.
A memorial celebration of Doug's life is Thursday, 5-8 p.m., at the Hansville Community Center. Private burial was Tuesday at Holyrood Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Harborview Medical Center Leukemia Research via the University of Washington, or Leukemia Society of America.

Joanne J. Johnson
Nine-year resident
Joanne J. Johnson, 65, of Friday Harbor, Wash., died Friday, April 21, 2000 at a local care center.
She was born July 27, 1934 in Antigo, Wisc., the daughter of Alvin S. and Alice (Reinke) McNinch. Joanne had been a resident of San Juan County for the last nine years.
She is survived by five daughters, Julie Johnson of Friday Harbor, Jodine Malitz of Wisconsin, Judy Krusensterna of Wisconsin, Jeannie Roberts of Georgia, Jennifer Moss of New Jersey; and one son, Jeff Johnson of Wisconsin.
By Joanne's request, memorial services will be held in Wisconsin at a later date.
Arrangements are in the care of Evans Funeral Chapel, Anacortes, San Juan Islands.

Steve Townsdin, noted real estate agent
Stevens J. Townsdin is "skipping over the ocean."
Mr. Townsdin died in his home in Friday Harbor, with his family nearby, the morning of May 20. He had been fighting Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 16 months.
His grandfather, Dr. John Holland Townsdin, brought him into the world on March 19, 1945, in Concordia, Kan.
The younger Townsdin started his lifelong passion for sailing at age 10, when he built his first sailboat and sailed on Jamestown Lake in Kansas. In later years, he introduced all of his children ñ Michael Seubert (master kayaker), John Townsdin (new owner of the Legend), Liz Townsdin and Jens Townsdin ñ to sailing and the San Juan Islands.
John Dunning, who purchased Windermere Real Estate from Mr. Townsdin and other partners more than three years ago, said, "He was just a great guy. He was quiet and unassuming, but a deep thinker. I really met him on Sunday when I read his diary."
Mr. Townsdin's wife, Cathaleen Cavanaugh, recalled the time a friend of his was going through tough times with cancer. He got in his airplane and flew until the gas ran out. Her husband said he might do the same in his boat ñ until family members pointed out that he had already done that several times.
Mr. Townsdin was a certified public accountant for 30 years and a real estate agent with Windermere Real Estate/San Juan Island in recent years. He served in the Army in the late 1960s in Germany and developed another of his lifelong obsessions of trying to understand World War II.
In addition to his children and his wife, survivors include his wife's children, Richard and Christine Uri; his mother, Henrietta Townsdin of Concordia, Kan.; his sister, Ingrid Nelson and her family, also of Concordia.
Mr. Townsdin's ashes will be released in San Juan Channel Sunday, May 28, following a potluck celebration of his life at the San Juan Island Yacht Club starting at 5 p.m. The family invites all their friends and supporters to join them.
Donations in Mr. Townsdin's memory can be made to the San Juan Community Foundation, P.O. Box 1352, Friday Harbor, WA 98250, a new non-profit Cancer Support for Citizens of San Juan Island which is being formed to help the community of San Juan Island with expenses not covered by medical insurance.

Carson DeVries
Carson DeVries, a resident of Friday Harbor since 1940, passed away May 17 in a Sedro-Woolley hospital, surrounded by his family. He was 87.
Mr. DeVries was born April 15, 1913, in Platt, S.D. He and his wife, Monica, were married on his birthday in 1939, and they moved here from Yakima shortly thereafter.
Mr. DeVries worked for the telephone company and as a construction worker. He was also a trapper.
Family members remember his sense of humor, and how friends would stop by the house every day for coffee.
"He was really liked by a lot of people," a family member said. "A lot of people were good to him over the years.
"He knew how to do a lot of things. He had a way about him."
Mr. DeVries was preceded in death by his wife, Monica, in 1994.
He is survived by his sons, Dale of St. Marie's, Idaho, Don of Lynnwood, Wash., John of Winchester, Calif.; daughter, Audrey Cavanaugh of Ohio; eight grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.
At his request, there will be no service.

Maureen Elizabeth Downey
Maureen Elizabeth Downey of San Juan Island died on May 14, 2000 in Islands Convalescent Center.
She was born on May 1, 1921, in Washington, D.C., to Michael and Philomene (Kelly) Downey. Maureen attended parochial schools in Washington and studied at George Washington University, Duke University and the University of Washington, Friday Harbor Laboratories.
Following employment at the Central Intelligence Agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Duke University, she joined the Smithsonian Institution, Museum of Natural History, Department of Echinoderms, where she rose from a secretarial position to that of museum specialist and an internationally known authority on starfish.
Maureen traveled widely for the museum, authored numerous technical papers and co-authored a monographic treatise on Atlantic starfish. She retired in 1987 to her house on San Juan Island.
Survivors include her sister, Margaret Cummings; nieces, Molly Griffin, Esme Frensilli and Nina O'Connor; nephews, Michael Dwyer and Anthony Dwyer; and four grand-nieces and nephews, all of the East Coast, as well as many friends in Washington, D.C., and on San Juan Island.
At Maureen's request, no memorial service will be held. Memorials may be made to the Islands Convalescent Center or to the University of Washington, Marine Science Fund.

Jeanne Galvin Glennon
Jeanne Galvin Glennon passed away Tuesday, May 16, 2000 in the Skagit Valley Convalescent Center in Sedro-Woolley, Wash. She was 79.
She was born Oct. 4, 1920 in Waterford, N.Y., the daughter of James A. and Jane Heinzen Galvin. Jeanne was a resident of Sedro-Woolley for the past six years, moving from Friday Harbor where she had lived for 12 years. She formally resided in Las Vegas, Nev., and Whittier, Calif., where she worked as an executive secretary for many years.
While residing in Whittier, Jeanne was a member of the Whittier Study Club and also taught English as a second language.
Jeanne enjoyed crafts and needle work and while living in Friday Harbor entered her work in the Island County Fair. She was also active in the Friday Harbor Study Club as a two-year past president.
She was married to Bernard Glennon on Nov. 28, 1948 in Las Vegas. He preceded her in death on Jan. 24, 1998.
Survivors include her brother, Dr. James Galvin of Denver, Colo.; nephew, James Galvin of Iowa City, Iowa; two nieces, Georgia Galvin of Seattle, Wash., and Kathy Block of Bellingham, Wash.
At Jeanne's request, there are to be no services. Arrangements and cremation under the care of Lemley Chapel, Sedro-Woolley, Wash.

Chari Marks
SpringTree Grill in Friday Harbor was closed Sunday in memory of Chari Marks, the restaurant's night cook who died Saturday, reportedly from an allergic reaction to asthma medication.
The restaurant's staff is planning a private ceremony in Ms. Marks' memory, general manager Mike Harpster said.
And friends will gather at Herb's Tavern Thursday, 5 p.m., in Friday Harbor for a wake and potluck.
In addition, a dance in Ms. Marks' memory is planned Saturday at Herb's. Her favorite band, Hunk a Funk, will perform.
Harpster said Ms. Marks' was the first employee he hired in January.
"I hired her because of her attitude," Harpster said. "She was employee of the month her first month. She did an awesome job. She helped set up the kitchen. She had her act together and was going forward."
Harpster said people will mostly remember Ms. Marks' acts of kindness.
Friends agreed.
"Chari was like a mother to us all," Darlene Wilson said. "She was always loving, always trying to give, and always being a part of helping out, no matter what it was."
Ms. Marks was a native of Wisconsin, and lived on San Juan Island for about 15 years.
Before joining SpringTree, she was head of housekeeping at the Discovery Inn.
She loved dancing, gardening and her family of friends.
At Saturday's event, donations will be accepted to send Ms. Marks' body back to Wisconsin.
To donate, call Wilson, 378-2972; or Tori Roberts, 378-6058.

In Memory of Chari Marks
Never shall I leave the place that I love
Never shall you go from my soul
Even though my eyes are somewhere else, I hope you will always know
The angels placed my wings upon me, for my body had to go
Now I will always be looking over the island that I love so.

Ellen M. Morrow
Ellen M. (Billie) Morrow of Lopez Island, passed away April 9, 2000 in a nursing home in Tucson, Ariz.
Billie was the only child of Harry and Charlotte deGez, who homesteaded a farm on Lopez Island.
Billie was born in Seattle Oct. 27, 1916 and was raised on Lopez where she attended school. She then went to further her education, graduating from Anacortes High School, then attending the Lux Girls School in San Francisco.
Billie returned to Seattle where she met her late beloved husband, Ralph H. Morrow. They were wed in Seattle on June 12, 1937, and were married for 53 years.
Billie leaves behind her daughter, Rae Gurney; son-in-law, Chuck; three grandchildren, Greg, Wendy and Christine; four great-granddaughters, Elizabeth, Raechel, Hannah and Julia.
A family gathering will be held in her memory this summer on Lopez Island.

Allan Rautenberg
Allan Rautenberg passed away May 16, 2000, in St. Joseph's Hospital, following a brief illness.
Born March 4, 1907 in Boulder, Colo., Mr. Rautenberg spent most of his life in the state of Washington, the last 30 years in San Juan County.
Mr. Rautenberg was a produce broker for many years before retiring to Westcott Bay with his wife Virginia. He was an avid golfer, enthusiastically participating until his last illness. He had a particular fondness for the beach at his bayside home.
He is survived by his wife, Virginia; sons, Robert and Richard; four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
The family appreciates any donations or remembrances on Mr. Rautenberg's behalf be made to the San Juan Islands' Emergency Medical Technicians.

Lloyd Williams
Investigators piece together a portrait of a wanderer who died in Roche Harbor
By Richard Walker
Unraveling a mystery 
Lloyd Williams's few possessions, including his Utah driver license, are giving investigators some clues as to his survivors' whereabouts. Williams died in Roche Harbor on April 20. Courtesy San Juan County Sheriff's Department 
On Prosecuting Attorney Randy Gaylord's desk rests the remnants of a life: A cook who followed the tourist seasons in Utah and Washington. A former gambler who, five years ago, was living on the streets of Las Vegas. A friend who loaned money to whoever asked. A surrogate father to the guy who lifted him off the streets.
All that remains of Lloyd Williams's life is a box containing his cremated remains, and a few possessions that are helping to solve the mystery of his identity.
Williams was found dead in his Roche Harbor condo the morning of April 20. He was 59. About a week earlier, Williams had moved from Park City, Utah, to take a job as a cook at the Lime Kiln CafÈ.
Williams's body was discovered by a co-worker, Gaylord said. An autopsy determined Williams died of a heart attack, the result of arteriosclerotic heart disease. In trying to find survivors, investigators have pieced together a portrait of Williams based on his scant possessions and by talking to people who knew him in different states.
Williams was born March 1, 1941 in Chatham County, Ga., near Savannah. He was the fourth child born to Reggie Williams, a 30-year-old laborer, and the former Eunice Eaton, a 25-year-old domestic worker from Florida.
Williams may have a sister in Hawaii, and may have a son or daughter in the San Francisco, Calif., area. On a Park City job application, Williams listed "Chihiro Williams" as an ex-wife. He may have spent time in Hawaii, and supposedly served in the U.S. Air Force.
Gaylord said those leads have gone nowhere ñ they can't find a relative to claim Williams's remains and possessions.
"We have tracked down all numbers provided to us," Gaylord said. "We have been unsuccessful."
A request for Williams's military records was also unsuccessful ñ there was a fire in the government's St. Louis, Mo., repository, and any documents related to his military service would have been destroyed.
Gaylord, who is also the county coroner, said he had no other choice but to treat Williams's case as an "indigent death" and have his body cremated.
"The coroner is charged with disposing of remains," Gaylord said. "I determined that cremation was the way to go."
Nearly two months after his death, a box containing Williams's ashes sits on Gaylord's desk.
'He was the only father figure I knew'
One person who has claimed Williams's remains and provided the most information about Williams's mysterious past -- is Thomas Ward, a former Roche Harbor cook now living in Louisville, Ky.
"I was considered his next of kin," Ward said. "I always called him Pops or Poppy, and my children called him grandpa. He was the only father figure I knew."
Ward, 37, met Williams in Las Vegas in 1996. Ward was a slot attendant in a casino, and Williams was a down-on-his-luck gambler living on the streets. The two struck up a conversation one day, and Ward took a liking to the older man.
Ward said he took Williams to a local church to get some clothes. While there, they saw a job board and read of openings at Bryce Canyon National Park. They decided to leave Las Vegas.
"He liked to gamble," Ward said of Williams. "I knew once he got away from Vegas he'd be better off."
It was the start of a father-son relationship and a five-year odyssey of travel.
They worked for four months at Bryce Canyon as dishwashers, saved money and moved on to Park City, Utah. Williams worked as a baker before joining Ward as a cook.
Ward said Williams had a reputation for being overly generous. "If you needed something, he'd give it to you," Ward said. "He lent a guy $1,500 in Bryce, and the guy left and never paid him back."
After six months in Park City, they followed the season to Roche Harbor.
A home in Kentucky
"My dad took off when we were little kids," Ward said. "With Lloyd, there was this closeness. He was wisdom."
Although they kept a home in Louisville, Ky., where Ward attended college, they continued to follow the seasons. But Williams's health started to take a downturn. He was a pack-a-day smoker and he had put an additional 40 pounds onto his already-overweight 5 foot 9 inch frame.
"What worried me was he would sit up at night with heartburn," Ward said. "I would ask him, 'Are you all right,' and he would always say, 'I'm O.K.' "
In Louisville in October, Williams had an apparent heart attack. Ward performed CPR, and Williams was rushed to the Veterans Administration hospital for treatment.
Back in Utah in April, Williams decided to return to Roche Harbor.
"I didn't want him to go to Washington," Ward said. "If he did too much traveling, it stressed him out."
April 9, Williams knocked on Ward's hotel room door in Heber City, Utah, and gave him a big hug.
"It was the last time I saw him."
Wanted to be buried in Hawaii
Ward said Williams once told him that he wanted to be buried in Hawaii after he died. Ward has asked Gaylord for Williams's cremains so he can honor his friend's last wish.
Gaylord is holding out for a blood relative. "I'm not in a position to have him buried in Hawaii," Gaylord said.
However, Ward said Williams died with $1,600 in his pocket. "That would pay for it," Ward said.
Roche Harbor Resort has offered to bury Williams on its grounds.
Meanwhile, Williams's ashes remain in a box on Gaylord's desk.
Gaylord has asked that anyone knowing the whereabouts of Williams's kin call him at (360) 378-4101, or email sjcpa@rockisland.com

Paul (Bud) Batzle
San Juan Island resident Paul "Bud" Batzle of Davison Head died May 29, 2000, after a two-year bout with cancer. 
Mr. Batzle was born May 23, 1914 in Kellogg, Idaho, and was employed until retirement by the Alaskan Copper & Brass Company of Seattle.
A good friend of this newspaper's Howard Schonberger, Mr. Batzle enjoyed golf and taking walks along the beach with his wife and friends.
Mr. Batzle was a member of the Amer-ican Legion and the San Juan Golf and Country Club.
Mr. Batzle was a member of St. David's Episcopal Church in Friday Harbor.
He is survived by his wife, Jean; daughter, Diana Patrick of Calistoga, Calif.; son, Paul Batzle of Longview, Wash.; sisters, Bernice Bardill of Bayview, Idaho, and Patricia Routh of Spokane, Wash.; and four grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at the end of August at a site to be determined.

Robert W. Mueller
Robert W. "Dutch" Mueller passed away at home in his sleep on Sunday, June 4, 2000.
He is survived by his wife, Catherine Mueller; son, Karl Mueller and wife Carol; daughter, Yvonne Chance and her husband Wayne; two grandchildren, Sean Chance and Ginger Toth.
Dutch ventured to Friday Harbor, with wife Catherine in tow, in April 1977 to open the Topside Chowder House. The beauty of the island and the kindness of the islanders have kept Dutch here for 23 years and there was nowhere else he wanted to be.
Dutch's family would like to thank the San Juan County officials who promptly responded and, with great kindness and respect, assisted on the day of Dutch's passing.
American Legion Post 163 provided a gracious amount of support and honored Dutch with a veteran's memorial service. The Ladies Auxiliary organized a potluck, which allowed Dutch's family and friends to share a drink and food in his honor.
The Mueller and Chance family sincerely thanks these individuals and all those who have extended their thoughts and prayers to the family.

Constance Winifred (Winnie) Kalberg
Winnie Kalberg of Friday Harbor passed away June 6, 2000, following a long illness. She was 79.
She was born March 27, 1921, the 11th child of Joseph and Susie (Cochran) Gallanger of Lopez Island. She was married to John Kalberg in August 1940 on Lopez Island.
Winnie was known for her wonderful cooking. She owned two restaurants in Friday Harbor and was head dietician for many years at Islands Convalescent Center. She was always a hit at any potluck. Besides her love for cooking, she enjoyed a variety of crafts including making Afghans for her children and grandchildren. She also enjoyed gardening, reading, and always had beautiful flowers.
Winnie had a generous heart and was always helping anyone she could. She loved her family and friends and was loved in return. She will be missed by all that knew her.
She is survived by her daughters and sons-in-law, Connie and Aubrey Redling of Marrowstone Island, Joanne and Don Johnson of Sequim, and Karen and Rick King of Friday Harbor; one son, Jack Kalberg of Fairbanks, Alaska; 11 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren; two sisters, Glee McCauley and Edna McCauley, both of Enumclaw, and numerous nieces and nephews. Her husband, seven sisters and three brothers preceded her in death.
Memorials may be given to Islands Convalescent Center, 660 Spring St., Friday Harbor 98250.
The family would like to thank Joanne Mayo and Rosalie LeVee for their dedication; mom was able to remain at home for her last Christmas. A special thanks to Dr. Gossom and the staff at Dorothy's and Islands Convalescent Center for their special care and love.

Charles Samuel 'Sam' Haines III
Sam Haines, 61, died at home on June 2 after a brief battle with lung cancer.
Sam was born on Aug. 24, 1938 in New York City. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy and received his bachelor of science degree in business and accounting from Lehigh University in 1961.
His business career started with Dun and Bradstreet in New York and then moved on to Virginia where he became the chief financial officer and general partner for Pinewood Development Corporation from 1962 to 1989.
Upon the death of his longtime business partner, Sam and his wife Kim sought new careers and a new lifestyle. After traveling the country for a year, they chose Orcas as their new home.
Combining his culinary talents and their love of people, Sam and Kim opened the Windsong Bed & Breakfast in 1992.
Sam was passionate about his volunteer work. He founded "Friends of Crossroads," a support organization for a substance abuse program in Fairfax County, Va. He was past president of the OPAL Community Land Trust Board of Directors, a member of the Washington State Bed and Breakfast Guild Board of Directors, and an Orcas Island Mentor Project volunteer.
Sam will be remembered for his love of life, sense of humor, compassion, gentleness, fairness, integrity, honesty, hugs, smiles, and love of cooking and eating.
Sam is survived by his wife Kim; children, Daya, Cindy, Chad, Peter and Donya; grandchildren, Haley, Hannah and Ethan; sisters, Ann, Sara and Kate; sisters and brother-in-law, Rob, Karla and Denay; and many other beloved family and friends. His presence in our lives will be sorely missed.
Sam's friends and family are invited to a memorial service and ice cream social on June 24, 3 p.m., at the Windsong Bed & Breakfast.
In lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made to OPAL Community Land Trust, P.O. Box 1133 Eastsound, WA. 98245.

Ethel B. Love Middleton
San Juan Island resident Ethel Love Middleton died June 16, 2000, of cancer. Mrs. Middleton was born May 10, 1925 in Danville, Ill., and moved to Cleveland, Ohio, at an early age.
In 1950, she graduated with a degree in electrical engineering from Case Western Reserve University, the only woman in her class. She worked for TRW and was involved with electrical induction hardening at Ohio Crankshaft.
Boeing brought her to the Pacific Northwest where she worked on the Hound Dog missile project. She was a member of the Society of Women Engineers.
"Cooking was not her favorite thing to do, but if there was anything wrong with the electrical in the house, she'd fix it," daughter Deborah Middleton said.
Her mother moved to the San Juan Islands in 1975 and became active in small-farm preservation, raising sheep and spinning wool. She was a member of the Textile Guild, a 4-H leader and superintendent of the wool barn for the San Juan County Fair for the last nine years.
"She canned and preserved," Deborah said. "She supported a lot of civic things on the island. She was interested in farming, and in farming measures that affected land use.
"She was feisty and outspoken. She had a real loving heart."
Evelyn Tuller, a longtime family friend, said Mrs. Middleton was a "special, caring, outspoken and frank woman with a heart of gold."
Mrs. Middleton was a member of Emmanuel Episcopal parish in Eastsound.
She is survived by her husband, Edward A. (Ted) Middleton, daughter and son-in-law Anne and Will Foster of Montana, daughter and son-in-law Deborah Middleton and Barry Cassidy of Sacramento, and granddaughter Katherine Kassiani Cassidy, age 7.
Service is Wednesday, June 21, in Emmanuel Episcopal parish, Eastsound, 2 p.m.

Washington Obituary Links

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: