Miscellaneous Westchester County, New York Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Anthony F. Iorio, Sr.: Ossining resident

Anthony F. Iorio, Sr., a resident of Ossining since 1965, died December 15 at Rosary Hill Home.

He was 81.

He was born April 23, 1921 in New York City to Frank A. and Jennie Marasco Iorio.

Mr. Iorio was a veteran of World War II and served in the Marine Corps as a Master Sergeant in the 3rd Amphibious Corps. Upon his discharge, he returned to New York City and married Jennie Candreva on July 20, 1947.

They moved to Yonkers in 1952 and Mount Vernon in 1960.

He was a communicant of St. Annís Church, a member of the American Legion Post #506, the Marine Corps League and was a Senior Buyer with Tiffany & Co. in New York City where he was employed from 1958 until his retirement in 1992.

He is survived by his daughter, Jennie Anne Kerney; two sons, Anthony F. Jr. and Frank T.; four sisters, Josephine and Marie Iorio, Theresa Hyer and Rita DíAgostino; and five grandchildren.

Mr. Iorio was predeceased by his wife, who died October 20, 2001, and his brother Louis, who died in 1983.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Dorsey Funeral Home in Ossining.


Donald T. Dalton: Ossining resident

Donald T. Dalton, a resident of Ossining, died December 10 in Madeira Beach, Florida.

He was 77.

He was born August 16, 1925 to Madeline and Thomas Dalton.

He graduated from Yonkers Schools.

Mr. Dalton served with distinction on two Naval Vessles in World War II as part of the invasion forces in Normandy. He was a member of FOXY 29 as a corpsman, a medical beach battalion, on board the LST 496 in the spring of 1944. He took part in exercise "TIGER" in the English Channel, where in preparing for the invasion, LST 510 was used in the Normandy Invasion at Omaha Beach. Upon discharging the troops and vehicles at Omaha Beach, the ship was converted from an amphibious combat unit to a hospital ship, complete with operating room, with the capacity of a 200-bed hospital. Between June & October of 1944 thousands of Wounded troops were treated and transported from France to England aboard LST 510, where he played a significant role in saving many lives.

In October 1944, he was transferred stateside and was reassigned to the Pacific Theatre where he served with distinction in the war against the Japanese Empire. He was honorably discharged from the Navy in 1946. Because of his special training Mr. Dalton was recalled to serve in the Korean Conflict in 1950, where once again he served with distinction.

He was proud of his two Honorable Discharges he received from the U.S. Navy. He took pride in wearing his uniform and the combat ribbons he earned in defense of his country he loved so dearly.

Upon discharge from the Navy, he graduated from the N.Y. School of Embalming and Restorative Art and was employed by the following: Red Flood, Waterbury & Kelly & Dwyer Funeral Homes & Dorsey Funeral Home.

He was loved by his wife Elaine, his family, friends and buddies. He made a difference and will be missed.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Dorsey Funeral Home in Ossining.


Evelyn Salch: Yorktown resident

Evelyn B. Salch, a resident of Yorktown, died of a long illness December 11 at Bethel Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Cortlandt, New York.

She was 73.

She worked for Rockland Psychiatric Center at Mohegan Manor for many years.

She was born September 28, 1929 in Norwood, Massachusetts to John and Blanche Reardon.

She was raised in New Rochelle and graduated from Issac Young High School.

She lived in Yorktown for the past 43 years.

She is survived by her son, Edward and wife Catherine of Shrub Oak, son Richard and wife Mary of Hopewell Junction, and son John and wife Joanne of Scarsdale; and seven grandchildren, Jonathan, Jessica, Roy, Stephanie, Ryan, Dylan and Glen.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Clark Funeral Home in Yorktown.


Guilherme Carvalho: Ossining resident

Guilherme Carvalho, a resident of Ossining, died December 13.

He was 63.

He was born April 28, 1939 in Mesao Frio, Portugal to Joaquim Carvalho and Maria de Gloria Gueded.

He was a professional gardener when he lived in Portugal and presently was employed at the Maryknoll Seminary.

He was a member of the Portuguese American Club in Ossining, and a parishioner of St. Annís Church.

Mr. Carvalho is survived by his wife, Rosa; four daughters, Cristina Goncalves, Carla Ligeiro, Helena and Angela Carvalho; one brother, Manuel; one sister, Aldina; and four grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Dorsey Funeral Home in Ossining.


Harry Lockwood Sr.: resident of Cortlandt Manor

Harry Lockwood Sr. a resident of Cortlandt Manor died Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at Somers Manor.

He was 83.

He was a retired Sanitation Worker for the Town of Cortlandt, retiring in 1986.

He was born on October 26, 1919 to Harry and Julia Chase Lockwood.

He enjoyed woodworking, gardening and family gatherings. He is survived by his companion, Jeanne Archey, of Fishkill, a son, Harry Lockwood, two stepsons, James and Jessie Grant, a stepdaughter, Shirley Rancourt, a brother, Clinton Lockwood, four sisters, Marjorie Poglodek, Bertha Hoffmann, Gertrude Mann and Evelyn Guido, along with several nieces and nephews.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Edward F. Carter Funeral Home in Montrose.


Julia Petrishin: resident of Peekskill

Julia Petrishin resident of Peekskill died on Tuesday, December 17, 2002.

She was 78.

She was born in Yonkers on June 25, 1924, the daughter of Andrew and Mary Demchar Petrishin.

She attended Oakside School and Drum Hill High School.

She was a longtime employee of IBM, working at the Thomas Watson Research Center, in Yorktown, as an Administrative Assistant, retiring in 1985.

She was a communicant of Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Peekskill.

She enjoyed sewing and did oil on canvas painting.

She is survived by her sister, Helen Petrishin, and her aunt, Marion Dempsey, both of Peekskill, and many cousins.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Dorsey-Carlone Funeral Home in Peekskill.


Karl W. Herrmann: Somers resident

Karl W. Herrmann, a resident of Somers, died December 16 at Danbury Hospital.

He was 73.

He worked as an Engineer at I.B.M. in East Fishkill, New York. He retired in 1992.

Mr. Herrmann was a member of The Croton Falls Chapter of the Knights of Columbus and a longtime communicant of St. Josephís Church.

He was the beloved husband of 45 years to Elfi; loving father of Mary Ann Cristiano of Stormville, Tina Pellegrini of Hopewell Junction, Dr. Hand Herrmann of Los Alamos, New Mexico, Gini Ferrucci of Hopewell Junction, and Karolyn Herrmann of Berlin, Germany.

He was the devoted grandfather of Stephen, Tom, Erika, Charlie, Max, and Katie; and the brother of Hedwig Herrmann of Germany.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Clark Associates Funeral Home in Katonah.


Lawrence O. Dohrman of Huntsville, Alabama formerly of New York City, died on Wednesday, December 11, 2002. He was a retired New York City Firefighter and WWII Army Veteran.

He was the loving husband of the late Annette (Nee Cornelis) and Margaret (Nee Donahue). Loving father of Art Dohrman and father in law of Mary.

He was the cherished grandfather of Carl and Annette.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Frederick Funeral Home in Flushing, New York.


Margaret Mary Kelleher: Maryknoll sister


Margaret Mary Kelleher died December 11 at Maryknoll Sisters Center in Maryknoll.

She was 91.

She was born March 10, 1911 to Daniel and Mary (Caldweller). She was the second born child to the Kelleher family.

Margaret had two sisters, Julia and Ellen and was raised in St. Louis, Missouri. She attended Rosati Kain High School and graduated with her diploma in 1928.

She had taken some business courses in typing, but had no real training in office work. She began to look for work after graduating, but it was difficult to find a job as it was near the onset of the Great Depression. She was giving up hope in finding a job when the local community of religious sisters asked recent graduates of her high school to come to their primary school and be aides to the teachers. Margaret had never thought of herself as being able to teach, but she said when she saw the young children learning things that she had taught them she was so pleased. Little did Margaret know that she would be teaching for the rest of her life.

During her years of teaching before she entered Maryknoll, she took a course at St. Louis University to prepare herself. After 10 years of teaching as a lay staff member, Margaret lost her job. Margaretís Godmother worked for Western Union, and helped her get a job there. Margaret worked there for a few years and began thinking that this was not what she wanted to do. Margaret had always wanted to go to Maryknoll, and knew about it through her cousin, one of the original Maryknoll Fathers, Maurice Gleason. Margaret wrote to him stating her desire to become a Maryknoll Sister, and he encouraged her to enter.

Margaret entered Maryknoll on December 7, 1938 at the age of 27. She made her first profession of vows on June 30, 1941, at the Center. She received the name Sister Rose Daniel (Rose for the Blessed Mother, and Daniel for her father), which she used until her death.

In 1940, Rose Daniel began to study for her BA at Rogerís College. She received her degree in 1944. That same year she went on her first mission to San Juan, Capistrano to teach for five years. Her next mission was providing Social Services in Monrovia. At that time, Monrovia provided help for people with tuberculosis. Rose Daniel said she rarely dealt with the patients but provided relief for the workers. Every worker had one day off, and Rose Daniel worked in the position of the person who was not working that day.

Rose Daniel began a new mission in 1954 in her hometown of St. Louis where she taught for 10 years as an elementary school. After completing her time there, Rose Daniel moved to Hawaii, where she stayed until her retirement. She lived in Waialua, Kaneohe, and Kailua. Rose Daniel worked in several different capacities. She was a teacher, Parish minister, and visited the sick.

In 1997, after 60 years of being a Maryknoll Sister, Rose Daniel retired in Monrovia, California. Although she had officially retired, Rose Daniel continued to do volunteer work. She visited the sick at the local hospital nearby.

Rose Daniel loved to be outdoors. She said she loved nature and expressed a desire to have her room overlooking Woodside. Rose Daniel swam in the ocean every day while living in Hawaii and California.

In May 2001, Rose Daniel was admitted to Assisted Living. She chose to live on the third floor.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Dorsey Funeral Home in Ossining.


William Cholowsky: Crugers resident

William Cholowsky, a resident of Crugers, died December 12.

He was 81.

He worked in the Accounting Department for General Motors in North Tarrytown and was with the company for 15 years before retiring in 1982.

He was born February 3, 1921 in Yonkers to Conrad and Anna Zoviska Cholowsky. He earned an Accounting degree from NYU.

He served in the Army Air Corps during WWII.

On December 15, 1945, he married LaRue Clarke in Hastings, NE. He was a member of St. Christopher Church.

He is survived by his wife, LaRue Cholowsky of Crugers, one son, Paul Cholowsky of American Canyon, California, one daughter, Michelle and her husband Robert Antalek of Beacon, and three grandchildren, Daniel and his wife Tika Cholowsky, Cynthia Cholowsky and Brian Antalek.

Family members who died earlier include daughter-in-law Patricia Cholowsky and four brothers, Michael, John, Nicholas and Stephen Cholowsky.

Funeral arrangements and services were handled by Joseph F. Nardone Funeral Home in Peekskill.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: