Miscellaneous Erie County, New York Obituaries
From the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo

CEMSEARCH - OBITUARY CENTRAL - OBITUARY LINKS PAGE - SURNAME SEARCH UTILITY - GENLOOKUPS


Father George J. Stephan
Father George J. Stephan, 65, pastor of the combined parishes of St. Francis Xavier-St. John the Baptist in Black Rock died May 11, 2002, in Kenmore Mercy Hospital. 
Father Stephan was a priest for more than 40 years. He served as pastor of St. John the Baptist since 1989 and in 1995 he took on the additional responsibilities as pastor of St. Xavier Church. As pastor of the two parishes, he became active with VOICE-Buffalo. 
Father Stephan was born in Buffalo and attended St. Mary Magdalene School, St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute, the Buffalo Little Seminary and St. Bernard's Seminary, Rochester. He transferred to St. John Vianney Seminary, now Christ the King Seminary, East Aurora, and was a member of the first class to be ordained from St. John Vianney. He was ordained on March 12, 1962, in St. Joseph's New Cathedral by Bishop Joseph A. Burke. 
Before assuming the pastorate of St. Francis Xavier, Father Stephan served as associate of Our Mother of Good Counsel, Blasdell; St. Patrick's, Lockport; St. James, St. Teresa's, Our Lady of Perpetual Help and All Saints, all in Buffalo; and Holy Trinity, Dunkirk. His first assignment was at St. Mary's in East Arcade. 
Father Stephan was director of vocations at Cardinal Dougherty High School and served as spiritual director of Cursillo for 30 years. He had been founding chaplain of St. John Eudes Council 11141, Knights of Columbus and was an associate faithful friar of the Buffalo Assembly, Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus. 
He is survived by two brothers, Robert of Rushford and James of Las Vegas. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell on May 15, 2002, in St. Francis Xavier Church, Buffalo. Burial was in St. Francis Xavier Cemetery. 

Sister Natalie Marie Grabka, FSSJ
Sister Natalie Marie Grabka, 79, died May 7, 2002, in Mercy Hospital, Buffalo. She taught 42 of 61 years in religious life. 
Sister Natalie Marie was the daughter of the late Frank and Antoinette (Kaczmarczyk) Grabka of Buffalo. She received a bachelor's degree in education from the former Rosary Hill College, now Daemen College, Buffalo. In 1938, Sister Natalie Marie entered the aspirancy of the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph from Corpus Christi Parish, Buffalo. She became a postulant in 1941 and professed her final vows in 1946. 
She taught at St. Joseph's School, North Tonawanda; St. Mary of the Lake, Hamburg; St. Francis of Assisi, Athol Springs; and served as a library aide at Immaculata Academy, Hamburg. She also taught in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. 
Sister Natalie Marie retired from teaching in 1989 and moved to Immaculate Conception Convent, Hamburg. 
A funeral Mass was held on May 11, 2002, in Immaculate Conception Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary Michael Kamieniarz, CSSF
Sister Mary Michael Kamieniarz, 89, died April 30, 2002, in Villa Maria Infirmary. She had been a teacher in the diocese for 36 years. 
Sister Mary Michael was born in Buffalo to the late Anthony and Josephine (Skiba) Kamieniarz. She was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary, now Villa Maria, Academy. She received a bachelor's degree in education from the former Mount St. Joseph's Teachers College, now Medaille College, Buffalo, entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1930, and professed her final vows in 1939. 
In addition to teaching in the Buffalo Diocese, Sister Mary Michael taught in Binghamton and served in daycare centers in Perry and Toronto. She later ministered to the sisters in Villa Maria Infirmary Convent before returning to St. Stanislaus to teach part-time. She also worked in parish ministry and religious education at Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul Convent, Buffalo, before becoming a member of the St. Francis Residence. 
Sister Mary Michael is survived by her brother, Matthew of Naples, Fla., and two sisters, Anne Cybulski of Las Vegas and Helen Derner of North Tonawanda. 
A funeral Mass was held on May 4, 2002, in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary Seraphica Korona, CSSF
Sister Mary Seraphica Korona, 101, a Felician sister for 84 years, died April 24, 2002, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
The former Stella Korona was born to the late Joseph and Mary (Czarnik) Korona of Buffalo. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters on May 1, 1917, and professed final vows on Aug. 30, 1924. She was a member of Corpus Christi Parish, Buffalo. Sister Mary Seraphica was a graduate of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, now Villa Maria, Academy and earned a bachelor's degree from Canisius College, both of Buffalo. Sister Mary Seraphica taught junior high school in the diocese and in Erie, Pa. 
Sister Mary Seraphica was the sacristan at Villa Maria Convent for eight years. She participated in contemplative prayer in House of Prayer Experience, Monroe, Mich.; with the Handmaids of the Holy Trinity, South Bend, Ind.; in the Franciscan Ritiro, Alegheny; and in the Holy House USA, Washington, N.J. Later, she directed an experimental House of Prayer at Villa Maria Convent for three years. 
In 1974, Sister Mary Seraphica began a tape ministry due to her declining vision. She volunteered for the Blind Association, learned Braille and ministered to visually impaired sisters. 
Sister Mary Seraphica is survived by nephews and nieces including her grandniece, Sister Mary Loriette Tokasz, CSSF. 
A funeral Mass was held on April 29, 2002, in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Father David S. Toolan, SJ
Father David S. Toolan, SJ, 66, died July 16, 2002, in the Jesuit Infirmary at Fordham University in the Bronx. 
Father Toolan had been a professor of religious studies at Canisius College, Buffalo, from 1975 to 1979. 
He was born in Portland, Maine, the son of New Jersey State Sen. John E. Toolan. After graduating from Georgetown University, Washington, he attended Columbia University Law School, N.Y, for a year before entering the Society of Jesus in 1960. He was ordained a priest in 1967. 
After Canisius, he worked for Commonweal as associate editor and book review editor for 10 years. In 1989 he joined the staff at America, the national Catholic weekly magazine, where he worked until his death. 
Father Toolan was the author of “At Home in the Cosmos,” which won a Catholic Press Association award, and “Facing West from California: A Jesuit's Journey into New Age Consciousness.” 
Father Toolan is survived by his sister, Maureen Toolan, of New Orleans. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated July 12 in St. Ignatius Loyola Church, New York City. Burial was in the Jesuit Cemetery at the Jesuit Martyrs Shrine, Auriesville. 

Father Flavian Colligan, OFM
Father Flavian Colligan, OFM, 86, died on July 12, 2002, in Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J. 
Father Colligan was born to the late Edward and Agnes (Flynn) Colligan in Olean. He attended St. Bonaventure Preparatory High School and the former St. Bonaventure College, Olean, and Holy Name College, Washington, D.C. He professed final vows in 1939 at Holy Name College. He was also ordained in St. Bonaventure Church, Paterson, N.J., on Nov. 1, 1934. 
Father Colligan was an assistant at various parishes and taught in parish schools in New Jersey and New York. He served as assistant at St. Patrick's Parish, Buffalo; from 1966 to 1968 and 1984 to 1986; taught at Bishop Walsh High School, Olean, from 1968 to 1969 and at Bishop Timon High School, Buffalo, from 1971 to 1972. He retired to St. Anthony's Friary, Butler, N.J., in 1986, and transferred to Holy Name Friary in 1997. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on July 16 in Holy Name Friary. Interment followed in God's Acre Cemetery, Ringwood. 

Sister Sophie Marie Kwiecien, CSSF
Sister Sophie Marie Kwiecien, CSSF, 91, died July 2, 2002, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
Formerly known as Sister Mary Fidelissima, Sister Sophie Marie was born to the late Stanislaus and Catherine (Zbytniewska) Kwiecien. She was a former member of Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul Parish, Buffalo. 
She graduated from the Immaculate Heart of Mary, now Villa Maria, Academy, Buffalo, and earned a bachelor's degree from the former Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille College, Buffalo. 
She earned a master's degree in education from Medaille College. She professed final vows in the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters at Villa Maria Convent in 1937. 
Sister Sophie Marie taught at St. John Kanty School, Buffalo, for 11 years and at other Catholic elementary schools in the Diocese of Buffalo during her 56-year teaching career. 
She was principal of Sacred Heart of Jesus School, Batavia, and St. Teresa of Avila School, Akron. In 1995, Sister Sophie Marie moved to the Provincial House of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Buffalo, before becoming a member of the St. Francis Residence Community in 1999. 
Sister Sophie Marie is survived by her sister, Helen Zajk, and her brother, Henry Kwiecien. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on July 4 in the Villa Maria Convent Chapel with burial in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister M. Kostka Ehrle, OSF
Sister M. Kostka Ehrle, 100, died on June 30, 2002, in the Convent of the Franciscan Sisters of Immaculate Conception after a brief illness. 
Sister Kostka was born in Stuttgart, Germany, to the late Anton and Kreszentia (Eble) Ehrle and came to the United States in 1933. She professed her final vows 75 years ago. She had worked in various Oblates of Mary Immaculate houses of study before coming to the Nazareth Nursing Home, Buffalo, in1947, where she served as a nurse for more than 30 years. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on July 5 in the Chapel of Nazareth Nursing Home, Buffalo. Burial was in Mount Calvary Cemetery, Cheektowaga.

Sister M. Denise McGillicuddy, OSF
Sister M. Denise McGillicuddy, OSF, 85, died June 29, 2002, in St. Mary of the Angels Skilled Nursing Health Care Center, Williamsville. 
The former Margaret McGillicuddy was born to the late Charles and Mary (Moynihan) McGillicuddy. She is one of nine children. She attended St. Vincent's Elementary School, Mount St. Joseph Academy, Canisius and Medaille colleges, all of Buffalo. 
She worked in office and secretarial positions at Curtiss-Wright Aircraft and the Burgard Vocational School before entering the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Francis Third Order Regular of Buffalo in 1944. She made her final vows in 1950. 
Sister Denise taught at SS. Peter and Paul School, Hamburg; St. Aloysius School, Springville; Holy Name and St. Nicholas schools, Buffalo; SS. Peter and Paul School, Williamsville; and Fourteen Holy Helpers School, Gardenville. 
Sister Denise moved to St. Mary of the Angels Motherhouse in 1966. In 1989, she retired to the infirmary of the Sisters of St. Francis. 
Sister Denise is survived by a sister, Mary McGillicuddy, and two brothers, Charles and Cornelius McGillicuddy. 
A funeral Mass was held on July 2 in the Chapel of St. Mary of Angels Motherhouse, Williamsville. Burial was in Gethsemane Cemetery, Williamsville.

Sister Pascal Moore, OSF
Sister Pascal Moore, OSF, 90, died June 27, 2002, in Stella Niagara Health Center, Stella Niagara. 
The former Mary Ellen Moore, was born to the late Patrick and Anna (Cronin) Moore in Columbus, Ohio. She entered the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity, Stella Niagara, in 1933. She earned a bachelor's degree in secretarial science from Nazareth College, Rochester, in 1952. 
Sister Pascal taught at St. Joachim and St. Ann schools, and Bishop McMahon High School, all in Buffalo. She was also a secretary at Rosary Hill College, now Daemen College, Amherst. Sister Pascal also taught in the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio, for 20 years, and for 12 years in the Diocese of Wheeling/Charleston, W.Va. In 1988, she moved to the health center at Stella Niagara. 
She is survived by her sister, Anne Thompson of Columbus. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on July 1 in Stella Niagara Chapel with burial in the Stella Niagara Cemetery. 

Sister Mary Joyce Helminski, CSSF
Sister Mary Joyce Helminski, CSSF, 87, died June 26, 2002, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
The former Leocadia Helminski was born to the late Walter and Bernice (Sobotowski) Helminski. She was a member of St. Hedwig's Parish, Erie, Pa. She graduated from the Immaculate Heart of Mary, now Villa Maria, Academy, Buffalo. 
She earned a bachelor's degree in education from the former Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille College, Buffalo, and a master's degree in education from Duquesne University, Pittsburgh. Sister Mary Joyce professed her final vows in 1941. 
Sister Mary Joyce taught in the intermediate and junior high level at various Catholic elementary schools in the Diocese of Buffalo for 15 years and in the Diocese of Syracuse for nine years. In 1953, Sister Mary Joyce volunteered to minister in Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Province, Coraopolis. She taught in various schools staffed by the Felician Sisters in Pennsylvania, and returned to the Buffalo Province in 1982. 
She taught at St. John Kanty, Buffalo, and also served as a librarian. She was also a librarian at St. Bernard's School, Buffalo. In 1998, Sister Mary Joyce moved to the Provincial House and into the St. Francis Residence in 2002. 
Sister Mary Joyce is survived by her brothers, John and Walter Helminski, and her sister, Irene Mizikowski. 
A funeral Mass was held on June 29 in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.

Father Joseph D. Joseph
Msgr. Joseph D. Joseph, 81, of Steamburg, longtime pastor of St. John Maron Catholic Church, Williamsville, died June 25, 2002, in WCA Hospital, Jamestown, after a long illness. 
Msgr. Joseph was born to the late Diab and Attaf (Attea) Joseph and baptized in the old St. John Maron Church on Cedar Street. He attended the Diocesan Preparatory Seminary, Buffalo, graduated from Our Lady of Angels Seminary at Niagara University and was ordained in 1947 in Buffalo by Bishop John F. O'Hara. 
He served at Our Lady of Victory Church, Frewsburg, in 1947, and then became assistant pastor at Holy Cross Church, Buffalo. In 1954 he was named administrator of St. John Maron Church, which was founded by Lebanese immigrants in 1904. 
He became administrator of St. Joseph's Maronite Rite Church, Olean, in 1955, and appointed pastor in 1963. In 1968, he returned to St. John Maron Church as pastor and served until his retirement in June 1996, and became pastor emeritus. 
He served as divisional youth moderator for the Diocese of Buffalo. For the Diocese of St. Maron, he served as both proto-presbyter and diocesan consultor for almost 20 years. 
He was also a diocesan coordinator for the Eucharistic Congress in 1976 and diocesan chairman for the canonization of St. Sharbel in 1977. Msgr. Joseph served as spiritual director and regional director for the National Apostolate of Maronites, a lay organization, from 1980 to 1983. The Diocese of St. Maron gave him the honorary title of archpriest in 1978. 
Msgr. Joseph is survived by two sisters, Sister Thecla H. Joseph and Sister Martha M. Joseph, both Sisters of St. Joseph, of Steamburg. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell on July 1 in St. John Maron Church, Williamsville. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna.

Sister Mary Beatrice Brogowski, CSSF
Sister Mary Beatrice Brogowski, 92, died on Sept. 9, 2002, in Felician Sisters Health and Wellness Center, Buffalo. 
The former Julia Brogowski entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1926 and professed final vows in 1934. She was a member of St. Augustine's Parish, Depew. She was a graduate of the Immaculate Heart of Marcy Academy, Buffalo, and earned a bachelor's and master's degree in education from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille College, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Beatrice taught in diocesan Catholic elementary schools for 50 years. She was also a principal at Assumption and Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Schools, Buffalo; St. John Gualbert School, Cheektowaga; and St. Peter School, Lowville. She also served as a part-time teacher and aide at St. Josaphat School, Cheektowaga, in 1982. She taught in the diocese of Syracuse and Ogdensburg. 
Sister Mary Beatrice is survived by her sister Nellie Jeziorski. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Sept. 13. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.

Sister Mary Jerome Matusiak, CSSF
Sister Mary Jerome Matusiak, 92, died on Sept. 8, 2002, in Felician Sisters Health and Wellness Center, Buffalo. 
The former Anna Matusiak entered the Felician Community in 1929 and professed her final vows in 1937. She graduated from Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy, Buffalo, and earned a bachelor's and a master's degree in education from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille College. 
She was a member of St. Casimir's Parish, Buffalo, and was a full-time teacher in elementary schools in the diocese for 33 years. She was a principal of St. John Gualbert and Queen of Martyrs schools in Cheektowaga and also served as a part-time teacher at St. Casimir's Parish from 1983 to 1990. Sister Mary Jerome also taught in the diocese of Syracuse and Ogdensburg. 
She was provincial vicar and councilor of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Provincein Buffalo from 1966 to 1970. 
A funeral Mass was held on Sept. 10 in Villa Maria Convent. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary McLaughlin, RSM
Sister Mary McLaughlin, 87, formerly Sister Mary Aquinas, died on Sept. 6, 2002, in Mercy Hospital. 
The daughter of the late John and Mary (Naughton) McLaughlin was born and educated in Olean where she attended St. Mary of the Angels School, Westbrook Business School and Olean High School. She earned a bachelor's degree from Canisius College in Social Studies and a master's degree in social studies from Niagara University. She also attended the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. Sister Mary professed her final vows with the Sisters of Mercy in 1942. 
Sister Mary taught at several diocesan schools staffed by the Sisters of Mercy including Our Lady of the Rosary, St. Teresa's in Niagara Falls and SS. Peter and Paul School, Jamestown. She was assistant treasurer at Trocaire College and served as pastoral minister at Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Olean; St. Bernadette's Parish, Orchard Park, and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Lake View. 
A funeral Mass was held on Sept. 9 in Mercy Center Chapel. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna. 

Msgr. Richard A. Graeber
Msgr. Richard A. Graeber, 73, died on Sept. 4, 2002, in Kenmore Mercy Hospital after a brief illness. 
The son of the late Joseph M. and Lucy (Elliott) Graeber, and brother of the late Father Joseph M. Graeber, Msgr. Graeber grew up in Kenmore and graduated from the Seminary of St. Joseph and the Little Flower, Buffalo, and also from St. Bernard's Seminary, Rochester. He was ordained in 1953 by Bishop Joseph A. Burke in the former St. Joseph's New Cathedral, Buffalo, and was named a monsignor in 1975. 
His first year of ministry was in the Diocese of Raleigh. He returned to Buffalo and served as an assistant at St. Ambrose Parish from 1954 to 1961. He served at St. Matthew's Parish, Buffalo, for two years, then at St. Stephen's Parish, Grand Island, as an assistant. In 1967 he transferred to St. John the Baptist, Kenmore, and to St. Andrew's Parish, Kenmore, a year later. In 1971, he returned to St. Stephen's Parish and initiated the building of the school and convent. He was pastor of St. Andrew's Parish, Kenmore, from 1976 to 1998. 
In 1974, Msgr. Graeber was appointed the first chairman of the Peace and Justice Commission in the diocese and served until 1995. He was a founding member of the Buffalo Area Metropolitan Ministries and served as chairman from 1976 to 1982 and president from 1982 to 1983. BAMM is an ecumenical coalition of churches and religious communities, which later merged with the Buffalo Area Council of Churches to form the Network of Religious Communities. 
He was a member of the Council of Priests and Consultor to the Diocese of Buffalo. In March 1985, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Law degree from Niagara University. 
Msgr. Graeber is survived by his sister, Sister Josepha Graeber, SSMN. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell on Sept. 7, in St. Andrew's Church, Kenmore. Burial was in St. Stephen's Cemetery, Grand Island.

Sister Georgiana Poul, OSF
Sister Georgiana Poul, 81, died on Sept. 2, 2002, in Olean General Hospital. 
The former Mary Georgiana was the daughter of the late George and Justina (Bush) Poul, formerly of Croghan. She professed her final vows at the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany in 1946. 
Sister Georgiana ministered as an elementary school teacher in New Jersey and in Broad Channel, Croghan and Bronx. Sister Georgiana moved to the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse, Allegany, in 2000. 
A funeral Mass was held on Sept. 4 in the Chapel of St. Elizabeth Motherhouse. Interment was in St. Bonaventure Cemetery, Allegany. 

Sister Rosemary Weber, OSF
Sister Rosemary Weber, 89, died on Aug. 28, 2002, in Stella Niagara Health Center, Stella Niagara. 
The former Mary Elizabeth was the daughter of the late Peter and Emma (Johengen) Weber of Collins. She graduated from the Seminary of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart and, in 1931, professed her final vows at the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity at Stella Niagara. 
Sister Rosemary taught in the dioceses of Buffalo, Columbus, Ohio, and Trenton, N.J. From 1931 to 1939 and 1942 to 1947 she taught in Buffalo at St. Ann's and St. Lawrence schools and at Stella Niagara. She taught in Columbus from 1939 to 1942 and from 1950 to 1963. She taught in New Monmouth, N.J. from 1963 to 1981. In 1981, Sister Rosemary returned to Stella Niagara to serve as assistant to the provincial treasurer until 1991 when she retired. 
A funeral Mass was held on Aug. 31 in the Stella Niagara Chapel. Burial was in the Stella Niagara Cemetery. 

Father Raymond G. Bohn
Father Raymond G. Bohn, 83, died on Aug. 22, 2002, in Sisters of Charity Hospital, Buffalo. 
The son of the late Clarence and Gertrude Bohn, Father Bohn graduated from the Seminary of St. Joseph and the Little Flower, Buffalo, and Our Lady of the Angels Seminary at Niagara University. He was ordained by Bishop John Duffy in St. Joseph's Cathedral, Buffalo, in 1943. 
Father Bohn began his ministry at the former St. Lucy's Parish, Buffalo, before assisting concurrently at St. Margaret's and St. Columba's parishes, Buffalo, and St. Joseph's Parish, Batavia, in 1944. 
In 1946, he was assigned to Most Precious Blood Parish in Angola and a year later to St. Mary's Parish, Lancaster. In 1947 he served as an assistant at the former St. Matthew's Parish, Buffalo. He was assigned in 1948 to St. Mary's Parish, Swormville, where he served as an assistant until 1965 when he was named pastor. He served at St. Mary's Parish until his retirement in 1985. 
Father Bohn was also director of Catholic radio programming broadcast from Lockport. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell on Aug. 26 in St. Mary's Church, Swormville. Burial was in St. Mary's Parish Cemetery.

Sister Mary Eucharia Chudy, CSSF
Sister Mary Eucharia Chudy, CSSF, 92, died on Oct. 25, 2002, in the Felician Sisters Health and Wellness Center, Buffalo. 
The former Mary Chudy, daughter of the late Adalbert and Rose (Zon) Chudy, was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy, now Villa Maria Academy, Buffalo. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1928 and professed final vows in 1936. Sister Mary Eucharia graduated from Mount St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing, Lewiston, and was licensed as a registered nurse. 
Sister Mary Eucharia ministered as a nurse intermittently to the sisters in the Villa Maria Infirmary of the Felician Sisters for 42 years. She served at St. Rita's Home for Children, Getzville, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary Home, Cheektowaga. She also assisted at the Catholic Settlement Day Nursery, Toronto, for five years. 
Sister Mary Eucharia is survived by her brother, Stanley, and her sister Charlotte Zawoda. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Oct. 28 in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. ²÷ 

Sister Antoinette Flury, SSJ
Sister Antoinette Flury, SSJ, 87, died on Oct. 24, 2002, in the infirmary of the Sisters of St. Joseph Clarence Residence. 
The former Mildred Flury entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1934 and professed her final vows in 1936. She earned a bachelor's degree from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille, and a master's degree from Catholic University, Washington, D.C. 
She taught at Sacred Heart School, Niagara Falls; Mount St. Joseph Elementary School, Mount St. Joseph Academy and Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, Buffalo. She was principal at Sacred Heart School, Niagara Falls; Victory Academy, Lackawanna; Bishop O'Hern High School, Buffalo, and assistant principal at Mount St. Joseph Academy, Buffalo. 
Sister Antoinette also was a guidance counselor and curriculum coordinator at Our Lady of Victory School, Lackawanna, and a counselor at the Drug Rehab Center, Lancaster, before retiring in 1989. 
A funeral Mass was held on Oct. 28 in the Sisters of St. Joseph Clarence Residence. Burial was in the Mount St. Joseph section of Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo.

Sister Shelia Flynn, SSJ
Sister Sheila Flynn, SSJ, 92, died Oct. 23, 2002 in the Sisters of St. Joseph Infirmary. 
The former Elizabeth Flynn entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1935 and professed final vows in 1937. She earned a bachelor's degree in education from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille, and a master's degree from St. Bonaventure University and special training in education of the deaf at the University of Buffalo. 
Sister Sheila taught at St. Mary's School for the Deaf and Mount St. Joseph Academy in Buffalo, and at Victory Academy, Lackawanna, where she also was principal from 1966 to 1972. She was registrar at Trocaire College and treasurer at Mount St. Joseph Academy for 14 years. 
Sister Sheila is survived by two sisters, Margaret Kaiser of Garden City and Dorothy Flynn of Baltimore. 
A funeral Mass was held on Oct. 26 in the Sisters of St. Joseph Clarence Residence. Burial was in the Mount St. Joseph section of Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo. 

Sister Mary Lydia Gawlinski, CSSF
Sister Mary Lydia Gawlinski, CSSF, 93, died Nov. 2, 2002, in Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo. 
The former Mary Gawlinski was the daughter of the late Joseph and Mary (Kaczmarek) Gawlinski. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1927 and professed final vows in 1935. She was a member of St. Casimir's Parish, Erie, Pa. She earned a bachelor's degree in education at Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille, and a master's in education from Medaille College. 
Sister Mary Lydia taught for 26 years in Catholic elementary schools in the dioceses of Buffalo and Syracuse. She was also a principal at Sacred Heart School, Batavia, and Assumption School, Buffalo. She served part-time in St. James School, Depew, from 1982 to1992. 
Sister Mary Lydia is survived by her sister, Gertrude Haglund. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Nov. 4. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Lawrence Moore, OSF
Sister Lawrence Moore, OSF, 97, died Oct. 30, 2002, in Stella Niagara Health center. 
The former Mary Louise Moore was the daughter of the late Michael and Catherine (Quigley) Moore of Rochester. She entered the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity, Stella Niagara, in 1924 and professed her final vows in 1927. 
Sister Lawrence graduated from the Seminary of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Stella Niagara. She earned a bachelor's degree from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, Buffalo, and a master's degree in education from Xavier University, Cincinnati. 
She taught at St. Benedict's School from 1936 to 1942 and from 1949 to 1952 when she served as principal until 1958. From 1958 to 1963, Sister Lawrence was guidance director of Sacred Heart Academy, Buffalo and from 1963 to 1987 was guidance director at Bishop McMahon High School, Buffalo. She also taught in the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio. Sister Lawrence retired to Stella Niagara in 1987. 
She is survived by her sister, Betty Mason. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Nov. 2 in Stella Niagara Chapel. Burial was in Stella Niagara Cemetery. 

Sister Mary Cirene Michalik, FSSJ
Sister Mary Cirene Michalik, FSSJ, 85, died Nov. 9, 2002, in Colette Hilbert Health Center, Hamburg. 
The former Catherine Michalik, the daughter of the late Marion and Louise (Wolkowicz) Michalik, was born in Detroit. She entered the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph in 1930 from Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish, Detroit. She professed her final vows in 1939. 
Sister Cirene earned a bachelor's degree in education from Cardinal Stritch College, Milwaukee, and a master's degree in history from Villanova University, Villanova, Pa. 
Her 55 years of teaching included Corpus Christi and St. Columba schools, Buffalo, and Immaculata Academy, Hamburg. 
She is survived by her brothers, the Rev. Bernard Michalik and Richard Michalik, and her sisters Rose Pitera, Florence Mardeusz and Sister Joan Michalik, IHM. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Nov. 13 in the Immaculate Conception Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.

Sister Mary Lucine Skalski, CSSF
Sister Mary Lucine Skalski, CSSF, 76, died Nov. 9, 2002, in the Felician Sisters Health and Wellness Center, Buffalo. 
The former Victoria Skalski was the daughter of the late Joseph and Victoria (Borowiak) Skalski. She professed final vows in the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1953. She was a graduate of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria), Cheektowaga. She earned a bachelor's degree in education from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College, now Medaille, Buffalo. 
She taught in Catholic elementary schools in the dioceses of Buffalo, Syracuse and Ogdensburg. She also served as principal of Queen of the Most Holy Rosary and Our Lady of Loretto schools, Buffalo. 
In 1995, Sister Mary Lucine was a remedial reading tutor and assisted in religious education at St. Hyacinth's Parish, Dunkirk. Two years later, she assisted with general services at Villa Angela Convent, Elma. 
She is survived by her brother John Skalski. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated on Nov. 12 in Villa Maria Convent Chapel, Buffalo. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery.

Msgr. Joseph F. Skupien
Msgr. Joseph F. Skupien, 81, died on Nov. 7, 2002, at home. 
The son of the late Matthew and Blanche (Dziomba) Skupien, Msgr. Skupien attended high school at the former Little Seminary of St. Joseph and the Little Flower, Buffalo, seminary at SS. Cyril and Methodius, Orchard Lake, Mich., and Christ the King at St. Bonaventure University. He was ordained in 1947 in St. Joseph's New Cathedral by Bishop John F. O'Hara. 
Msgr. Skupien, who was pastor of Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish in Batavia from 1969 to 1996, first began his ministry at a missionary apostolate in 1947. He went on to serve as an assistant at St. Stanislaus Parish, Buffalo, in 1948. In 1950, he was appointed an assistant at All Saints Parish, Buffalo, where he served as administrator from 1955 to 1956. He returned to St. Stanislaus Parish as an assistant in 1956, serving concurrently at St. Lawrence's Parish, Buffalo, until 1962 when he became assistant at Infant of Prague Parish, Cheektowaga. He was assigned as assistant at St. Stephen's Parish, Buffalo, in 1965. In 1966 he was named pastor of St. Isaac Jogues Parish, in Sherman and St. Thomas More Parish, Ripley. In 1988 he was appointed prelate of honor. 
Bishop Henry J. Mansell was celebrant at a funeral Mass held on Nov. 22 in Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.


CEMSEARCH - OBITUARY CENTRAL - OBITUARY LINKS PAGE - SURNAME SEARCH UTILITY