|Deacon Donald Shultz Sr
Deacon Donald Shultz Sr., 78, died June 28, 2001, in his Dunkirk home.
Deacon Shultz was born in Batavia, graduated from Batavia High School,
and St. Lawrence University, Appelton, Wis. He was commissioned as a lieutenant
in the U.S. Navy during World War II and served on the USS Trident.
Deacon Shultz was ordained by Bishop Edward Head in 1990, and was assigned
to Holy Trinity Parish, Dunkirk, St. Aloysius Gonzaga Parish, Cheektowaga,
and St. Anthony's Parish, Fredonia, where he served until his death.
Before becoming a deacon, Donald Shultz worked at Marine Midland Bank
for 40 years, retiring in 1985. He served as a vice president of the city
Planning Board, was a member of the board of trustees of the Comprehensive
Health Planning Council of Western New York, and was president of the Kiwanis
Deacon Shultz was also president of Notre Dame Home School Association,
and past director and chairman of the Genesee County Red Cross, and was
a member of the Third Order of St. Francis.
Deacon Shultz is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, of 52 years, three
sons, six daughters, 15 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
A vigil service was offered at Holy Trinity Church in Dunkirk. Burial
was in the mausoleum of St. Joseph's Cemetery in Batavia.
Sister Mary Assumpta Gentile, FMDC
Sister Mary Assumpta Gentile, FMDC, 89, died June 27, 2001, at St.
Mary of the Angels Health Care Center, Williamsville.
Born Mary Gentile in Cherry Creek, Sister Assumpta entered the order
in 1929. She professed her first vows in 1931 and her final vows in 1939.
Sister Assumpta taught religious education in the Diocese of Buffalo
from 1931 to 1964, at St. Ann's, St. Anthony's, Holy Cross, and Our Lady
of Loretto parishes in Buffalo, and the St. Pius Mission Center in Batavia.
She also taught at Immaculate Conception Mission Center in Belmont and
Our Lady of Fatima Mission center in Cattaraugus.
She served as religious education coordinator at Sacred Heart Parish
in Crystal City, Texas, from 1964 to 1970. She returned to Western New
York where she taught religious education at Immaculate Conception Mission
Center in Belmont until 1997.
Sister Assumpta is survived by a sister, Margaret Carnahan of Buffalo.
A funeral Mass was celebrated June 30, in the chapel of the motherhouse
of the order, Williamsville. Burial was at Holy Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna.
Father Dominic Valentino
Father Dominic Valentino, 81, died June 24, 2001, in the Hospice Center,
Father Valentino was born in 1919, in Chicago, to Gerald and Judith
Valentino. He attended Crane High School in Chicago, Sacred Heart Seminary
in Melrose Park, Ill., and became a member of the Missionary Congregation
of St. Charles.
He pronounced his final vows in 1945 and in 1947 was ordained to the
priesthood by Cardinal Rossi at the Lantern Basilica.
He was assistant pastor of St. Anthony's Parish, Buffalo, where he
served for 10 years until being named pastor, and remained for three more
years. Father Valentino served as associate pastor at Holy Ghost Parish,
Wood Dale, St. Alexis Parish, Bensenville, pastor of St. Andrew's Parish,
Romeoville, superintendent of religious education for the Diocese of Joliet,
Ill., and pastor of Visitation Parish, Elmhurst, Ill. Father Dominic was
awarded many honors including Citizen of the Year in Elmhurst in 1980.
In 1992, on the 45th anniversary of his ordination, the mayor of Elmhurst
declared “Father Valentino Week” in the city. He also built a recreation
center at Visitation Parish that bears his name.
Upon his retirement in 1995, he moved to Scotsdale, Ariz.
A funeral Mass was celebrated at Visitation Church, Elmhurst and burial
was at Mount Carmel Cemetery, Hillside, Ill.
Sister Mary Frances Vonderhaar, SSJ
Sister Mary Frances Vonderhaar, SSJ, 79, died June 23, 2001, in the
infirmary of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Clarence.
Sister Frances was born in Fort Wayne, Ind., to the late John and Anna
Vonderhaar. The former Sister St. Andrew entered the religious order in
1941 and professed her vows in 1943.
Sister Frances taught at St. John's in Alden, St. Boniface, and St.
Xavier's, both in Buffalo. She also taught at Our Mother of Good Counsel
in Blasdell and the Early Childhood Learning Center in Niagara Falls, and
is noted for her popularity with children and for her craft work.
She retired in 1987 to the convent in Clarence, where she served as
an administrative aide.
Survivors include brothers Norbert, Richard, and Arthur Vonderhaan,
sisters Bernadette Kline and Helen Savage, and survived by nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass was celebrated at the Sisters of St. Joseph Residence
in Clarence and burial was in the Mount St. Joseph section of Forest Lawn.
Sister Genevieve Van Hook, RSM
Sister Genevieve Van Hook, 85, died June 13, 2001, at Mercy Center
Infirmary in Buffalo.
Sister Genevieve was born Genevieve Rita Van Hook in Buffalo to the
late James and Sara Ann (McDermott) Van Hook. She attended Holy Family
elementary school and Mount St. Joseph Academy, both in Buffalo. In 1933
she entered the Sisters of Mercy and professed her vows in 1936. Sister
Genevieve attended Canisius College in Buffalo. She received a bachelor's
degree from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and
a master's degree from Notre Dame University in Indiana.
Sister Genevieve ministered in the field of education teaching music
at several elementary schools in the Diocese of Buffalo. She taught liturgical
music and music appreciation at Mount Mercy Academy and Trocaire College,
both in Buffalo. She also served in music ministry at several churches
including St. Mary of Sorrows Church in Buffalo. Sister Genevieve also
worked with the Parenting Program in the Commodore Perry Projects also
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Mercy Center Chapel in Buffalo. Burial
was in Holy Cross Cemetery in Lackawanna.
Sister Mary de Sales Golen, FSSJ
Sister Mary de Sales Golen, 94, died June 6, 2001, in Colette Hilbert
Sister Mary de Sales was born Louise Golen in 1906 in Detroit to the
late Joseph and Caroline (Pac) Golen. She entered the Congregation of the
Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph in 1922 and professed her final vows in
1928. She received a bachelor's degree from Immaculata College in Pennsylvania
and a master's degree from the University of Detroit.
For 44 years Sister de Sales ministered in the field of education.
She served in Michigan, Massachusetts, and Maryland. Locally she taught
at Sacred Heart School in Medina. She served as general minister of the
Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph from 1970-78 and also served at St. Joseph
Hospital in Cheektowaga. In 1988 she retired to Immaculate Conception Convent
where she crocheted, wrote letters for the sisters, and visited the sick.
She moved to the Colette Hilbert Health Center in 1999.
Survivors include a niece, a nephew, and a cousin, Sister Mary Evarista
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Immaculate Conception Convent
Chapel in Hamburg. Interment was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga.
Sister Marie Agnes Kownacki, CSSF
Sister Marie Agnes Kownacki, 85, died June 5, 2001, in Villa Maria
Infirmary in Buffalo.
Sister Marie Agnes was born Mary Kownacki in Erie, Pa., to the late
Joseph and Mary (Blaszko) Kownacki. She graduated from Immaculate Heart
of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy) in Buffalo and received a bachelor's
degree from Mount St. Joseph's Teachers College (now Medaille College),
Buffalo. She entered the order of Felician Sisters in 1934, professing
her final vows in 1942.
Sister Marie Agnes began her ministry by serving a group of girls at
the Immaculate Heart of Mary Home for Children in Cheektowaga. She then
spent 33 years serving as a primary and intermediate grade school teacher
in schools throughout the Diocese of Buffalo. She also served in the Diocese
of Syracuse for four years. For three years she assisted with general services
at Villa Angela Convent in Elma and later returned to her home parish Holy
Trinity in Erie, Pa., where she served as a tutor and secretarial aide
in the school.
Survivors include a sister, Florence Sever of Garfield Heights, Ohio;
a brother, Edward Kownacki of Erie; and several nieces and nephews.
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel in Buffalo.
Burial followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga.
Msgr. Edward L. Kazmierczak
Msgr. Edward L. Kazmierczak, 74, died June 3, 2001, at Millard Fillmore
Suburban Hospital in Williamsville.
Msgr. Kazmierczak was born in 1926 in Buffalo to the late Edward L.
and Rose M. Kazmierczak. He attended Canisius High School, Buffalo, St.
Mary's College in Michigan, and Our Lady of the Angels Seminary at Niagara
In 1951, Msgr. Kazmierczak was ordained at St. Joseph's Cathedral in
Buffalo by Cardinal John F. O'Hara. He served as administrator at St. Mary's
Parish, Arcade; assistant pastor of St. Barbara's Parish, Lackawanna; St.
John Gualbert's Parish, Cheektowaga; and St. John Kanty's Parish, Buffalo;
and as pastor of St. Valentine's and St. Casimir's parishes, both in Buffalo.
He retired in 1994.
Msgr. Kazmierczak was a member of several organizations and committees
including president of the Association of the Diocesan Clergy for Polish
Affairs, Knights of Columbus Father Justin Council, the Chopin Singing
Society, and Rescue Hose Fire Company No. 1.
He is survived by four sisters, Dolores Polanski of West Seneca; Antoinette
Mardel of Houston, Texas; Phyllis Motyka of Lackawanna; Barbara Bernas
of Buffalo; and two brothers, James of Buffalo and Dennis of West Seneca.
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry Mansell at St. Casimir
Church. Burial followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga.
Sister Mary Alicia Barry, RSM
Sister Mary Alicia Barry, 84, died June 2, 2001, at Mercy Center Infirmary
Sister Alicia was born Mary Rita Barry in Buffalo to the late Michael
and Margaret (Smith) Barry. She attended St. Stephen's Elementary School
and Mount Mercy Academy. She received a degree in nursing from Mercy Hospital
School of Nursing, a bachelor's degree from Canisius College, both in Buffalo,
and a master's degree from the Catholic University of America in Washington,
In 1937 she entered the Sisters of Mercy and professed her vows in
1939. She ministered in the healthcare field serving at Mercy Hospital,
Buffalo, for over 40 years. She held positions as head nurse, night supervisor,
supervisor and instructor of pediatrics, and assistant director of nursing
service. She also served as director of student health services at Trocaire
College, Buffalo, and was a receptionist and secretary at the Julianna
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Mercy Center Chapel in Buffalo. Burial
was in Holy Cross Cemetery in Lackawanna.
Father James F. Fox, SJ
Father James F. Fox, 68, former president of Canisius High School,
died Dec. 14, 2001, in a Jesuit infirmary in New York City.
Born in Dublin, Ireland, Father Fox came to the United States in 1955
and entered the Society of Jesus in 1961. Ordained 10 years later, he earned
a bachelor's degree in English and master's degree in guidance and counseling.
As a priest, he was a teacher, hospital chaplain, retreat director,
counselor and school administrator.
Father Fox won the distinguished teacher award and a headmaster's citation
for excellence in teaching while at Fordham Prep.
He is survived by a sister, Margaret Lowth of Dublin.
A funeral Mass was held in New York City. Burial was in the Shrine
of the North American Martyrs in Auriesville.
Brother Christopher Sullivan, FMM
Brother Christopher Sullivan, 79, died Dec. 9, 2001, in St. Joseph's
Hospital, Cheektowaga, after a lengthy illness.
He was born in Niles, Ohio, and received his early education there.
He received a nursing degree from the Alexian Brothers Hospital School
of Nursing, Chicago, and served as pharmacists' mate while he was in the
Navy from 1942-45.
Brother Christopher was a nurse in the Brothers of Mercy facilities,
Clarence, where he was also Provincial of the American Province from 1979-85.
He provided home health care in Buffalo.
Brother Christopher is survived by his sister, Elizabeth Webster of
A funeral Mass was held in the Brothers of Mercy chapel. Burial was
in the Brothers of Mercy section of Clarence Fillmore Cemetery.
Father James P. Flynn
Father James Patrick Flynn, 89, of Batavia, died Dec. 1, 2001, in Hospice
Father Flynn was born in Buffalo to the late John and Sarah Flynn.
He attended the seminary of St. Joseph the Little Flower in Buffalo and
the College of the Propagation of the Faith in Rome. He was ordained in
Rome by Cardinal Francis Marchetti, vicar of Rome.
He served as assistant pastor of Holy Cross, St. Agatha's, St. Lucy's,
Holy Spirit and Annunciation parishes in Buffalo; and Our Lady of Victory
Basilica, Lackawanna. Later he was administrator of St. Joseph's Parish,
LeRoy; and pastor of Visitation and Nativity parishes of Buffalo and Our
Lady of Fatima Parish, Elma. He served as chaplain of St. Jerome's Hospital,
Batavia, until his retirement in 1981.
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell in St. Joseph's
Church, Batavia. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna.
Sister Frances Klar, SSJ
Sister Frances Klar, 77, died Nov. 27, 2001, in the Clarence residence
of the Sisters of St. Joseph after a lengthy illness.
The former Sister Francis Joseph was born in Colden, grew up in East
Aurora, and entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1945. She earned a master's
degree in education from Medaille College and a master's degree in religious
studies from Canisius College, both in Buffalo.
Sister Frances taught at Nativity School, Buffalo; St. Mary's School,
Dunkirk; St. Mary's School, Medina, and Sacred Heart School, Niagara Falls.
She also served as coordinator of religious education in several parishes.
Sister Frances is survived by two brothers, Martin of East Aurora,
John of Somerville, N.J., and two sisters, Mary Butler of Stanley and Ann
Feldman of Elma.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel of the Clarence residence. Burial
was in the Mount St. Joseph section of Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo.
Sister Henrietta Glair, RSM
Sister Henrietta Glair, 66, died Nov. 26, 2001, in McAuley Residence,
The former Henrietta Frances Glair was the daughter of the late Joseph
and Henrietta (Rush) Glair. She attended St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary
School, Mount Mercy Academy, Mercy School of Nursing and Canisius College,
all in Buffalo.
She earned a bachelor's degree in education at Mount St. Joseph's College
and a master's degree in math and science at the Buffalo State College.
She also received graduate credits at St. Bonaventure University.
She entered the Sisters of Mercy in 1954 and professed final vows in
1957. Sister Henrietta taught at several schools staffed by the Sisters
of Mercy and at Canisius High School.
Surviving are four brothers, John of Elma, Thomas of Batavia, Paul
of Orleans, Ind., Michael of Orchard Park, and five sisters, Eleanor O'Dwyer
of Toronto, Theresa Lillis and Frances Gall of Buffalo, Loretta Regan of
Springville and Marie Pasinski of Derby.
A funeral Mass was held in Mercy Center Chapel. Burial was in Holy
Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna.
Sister Andre Girard, OSF
Sister Andre Girard, a free-lance artist and educator, died Nov. 19,
2001, in Stella Niagara Health Center.
The former Betty Jeanne Girard was born to the late Joseph and Elizabeth
(Kerr) Girard on July 22, 1930. She graduated from the former Mt. St. Joseph
Academy. She received a bachelor's degree from Rosary Hill (now Daemen)
College and a master's degree from Notre Dame University. She entered the
Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity at Stella Niagara
Sister Andre taught at St. Benedict's School and Sacred Heart Academy,
both of Eggertsville. She was chair of the art department at Mater Dei
High School, New Monmouth, N.J., between 1958 and 1976. Later she served
as pastoral associate at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish, Silver Creek.
Sister Andre was treasurer of the Williamsville Art Society and member
of the Buffalo Art Society. She was an impressionist artist in Western
New York and exhibited throughout the area. Among her best known works
is a series, “The Joyful Song Collection,” based on Psalm 66.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel at Stella Niagara and burial
was in Stella Niagara Cemetery.
Sister Marie Rita Kelly, OSF
Former pastoral care minister, Sister Marie Rita Kelly died Nov. 8,
2001, at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in Allegany.
Born Alice Kelly to Thomas and Honora (McSharry) Kelly in Kinlough,
County Leitrim, Ireland, Sister Marie joined the Congregation of the Franciscan
Sisters of Allegany in 1930 and professed her final vows in 1937. She became
a United States citizen seven years later.
Sister Marie ministered in the laundry and chapel for 43 years in hospitals
in Florida and New York, including St. Francis Hospital in Olean. After
many years in Florida, Sister Marie returned to Allegany where she ministered
in the motherhouse laundry until her retirement in 1987.
A funeral Mass was held in the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse Chapel. Burial
was at St. Bonaventure Cemetery in Olean.
Msgr. David A. Gernatt
Msgr. David A. Gernatt died in his home in Gowanda on Nov. 1, 2001,
after a long illness.
Msgr. Gernatt was born in Collins on Oct. 7, 1920 to John D. and Martha
Gernatt. He was ordained in 1947 by Cardinal Amleto Cicognani in Worthington,
Ohio, where he had completed his high school, college and seminary training.
Later, he served as spiritual director there. He was elevated to monsignor
Msgr. Gernatt founded St. Catherine of Siena Parish in West Seneca
in 1967 where he served until his retirement in 1995. He introduced the
folk Mass there and Teen Life, religious education for high school students.
Earlier, he served as an assistant pastor at Queen of Heaven, West
Seneca; St. John the Baptist, Lockport; Ascension, North Tonawanda; SS.
Peter and Paul, Jamestown; St. Francis of Assisi, Buffalo; and Our Lady
of the Snows, Panama.
Immediately after ordination, he served a year as a diocesan representative
in the Rural Overseas Program, and returned to serve as an instructor in
the Catholic Information Center. For the next 15 years, he served on the
Marriage Tribunal and was a Pre-Cana, Cana and marriage counselor while
also serving as director of vocations in Southern Chautauqua County. Later,
he served as director of vocations in Southern Niagara County.
Msgr. Gernatt also broadcast weekly radio programs in Buffalo, Jamestown
and Lockport, where he was an instructor in a social Christianity program.
He enjoyed traveling and met Mother Teresa in a visit to Calcutta,
India, and Pope John Paul II while visiting Poland.
Survivors include two brothers, Dan and Francis; three sisters, Helen
Engler, Esther Dittenhofer and Ruth Howard
A parish Mass at St. Catherine of Siena was celebrated by Auxiliary
Bishop Edward M. Grosz on November 3. Bishop Henry J. Mansell celebrated
a funeral Mass in St. Joseph's Church, Gowanda, on November 5. Burial was
in Holy Cross Cemetery, Gowanda.
Msgr. Henry J. Gugino 1943-2002
Msgr. Henry J. Gugino, long-time director of Catholic Charities, died
this morning (Tuesday, April 9, 2002) at Sister's Hospital following a
lengthy illness. Born on Jan. 29, 1943, he was 59.
A wake will be held Thursday and Friday, 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Amigone
Funeral Home, 1132 Delaware Ave., Buffalo. Msgr. Gugino's body will lie
in state at St. Joseph's Cathedral, 50 Franklin St., Buffalo, on Saturday,
April 13, from 9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. followed by a Mass of Christian
Burial, celebrated by Bishop Henry J. Mansell. Entombment will be at Mt.
Calvary Cemetery in Cheektowaga.
Bishop Henry J. Mansell, bishop of Buffalo, expressed his sadness at
the passing of Msgr. Gugino. "We were blessed in this diocese to
have him as executive director of Catholic Charities. In the
field of social services, both locally and nationally, he was a leader
without peer. We're so grateful for his distinguished service to
charity, to social services, to the corporal and spiritual works of mercy.
"Under Msgr. Gugino's leadership, I was always impressed with Catholic
Charities ability to change with changing needs. Since he became
executive director in 1995, Msgr. Gugino helped to establish 45 new programs.
At the same time six programs were eliminated, the needs were no longer
Father Joseph Sicari, associate director of Catholic Charities, remembered
Msgr. Gugino on Tuesday during a press conference at Catholic Charities
offices on Washington Street in Buffalo.
"We're saddened by the loss of Msgr. Gugino, and we're grateful for
his years of service," Father Sicari said. "He brought strength and security
to the Western New York community. We know his legacy will live on."
Born and raised in Buffalo, Msgr. Gugino had been recognized throughout
the Diocese of Buffalo as a leader in human services after more than 27
years with Catholic Charities of Buffalo, NY, the single largest human
service agency in Western New York. In 1975, Bishop Edward D. Head,
then Bishop of Buffalo, appointed Msgr. Gugino assistant director of Catholic
In his 20 years as assistant director, he was responsible for housing
and construction management of Timon Towers, Santa Maria Towers St. Francis
Home, all in Buffalo, and program planning and development for the Vietnamese
Resettlement Program, drug and substance abuse counseling, and family therapy.
He also worked to make social service programs available at the parish
level and worked with volunteer agencies such as the Guild for the Blind,
Ladies of Charity, and the Apollonian Guild.
In addition, Msgr. Gugino also represented Catholic Charities in several
community relations areas including outside programs and agencies at both
the county and city level.
In 1995, when Bishop Head appointed Msgr. Gugino director, succeeding
Msgr. John Conniff who was retiring, the bishop said Msgr. Gugino's vision
would lead Catholic Charities into the future. "Msgr. Gugino is well-qualified
to assume the enormous responsibilities of this position. Msgr. Gugino
is the perfect candidate to guide the organization into the next millennium."
Msgr. Gugino recently led the 2002 Catholic Charities appeal to another
successful conclusion, with more than $10 million dollars raised.
During the Palm Sunday announcement at the end of the drive, he said, "I'm
always overwhelmed by the hard work that goes into this and to think that
I have the great opportunity and great privilege of being the director
of Catholic Charities that reaches out into the eight counties and the
services that we provide to upwards of 200 thousand individuals.
"It is in an honor to be able to do that and I want to continue to
assure the community that we will do it with respect and we will be good
stewards of your trust in us."
Despite being diagnosed with prostate cancer at the end of 2001, Msgr.
Gugino continued to work hard to make the 2002 Appeal a success, according
to Father Sicari. Mgsr. Gugino attended weekly meetings on the campaign
and met with many of the people who make the appeal a success.
"We knew it had to be very painful and very difficult," Father Sicari
said. "But he wanted to be here. He kept going, he would not give up."
Msgr. Gugino always understood the mission of Catholic Charities.
"Catholic Charities is a core activity in this community. We reach
out to those who would otherwise stumble. I believe without Catholic
Charities, there are children, families, individuals, and communities that
literally would be suffering. We give them strength by giving them
good counseling. We have services that go to the very heart of making
families strong. I think that one of the strengths of Catholic Charities
is to recognize that the family is key. Everything we do revolves
around making that family strong."
During his tenure at Catholic Charities, Msgr. Gugino implemented a
number of innovative programs including multi-systemic therapy, an intensive
intervention program for teenagers at-risk for being placed outside the
home. He promoted special needs adoptions for hard to place children
including those with mental or physical disabilities, and he helped to
establish the department of parish-based social services and the domestic
violent offenders program.
Prior to serving at Catholic Charities, Msgr. Gugino was associate
pastor at St. Peter's Parish, Lewiston, from September 1969 until February
1975, and administrator at St. John Fisher, South Dayton, from June 1968
until September 1969. He was named a monsignor in October 1988.
Ordained on May 25, 1968 by Bishop James A. McNulty, Msgr. Gugino was
a graduate of Holy Cross School and the Diocesan Preparatory Seminary,
both in Buffalo. He earned a bachelor of arts degree from St. John
Vianney Seminary, East Aurora, and a master's degree in social work from
the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee. In 1997, he was given an
honorary doctorate in humane letters from Niagara University.
The American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging honored
Msgr. Gugino with the 2001 Trustee of the Year Award for his leadership,
innovative accomplishments, knowledge and commitment to ensuring a high
quality of life for older persons.
In addition to his parish work and his work at Catholic Charities,
Msgr. Gugino had extensive community involvement including past board memberships
for the Health Agency of Niagara County and the Community Action Organization
of Erie County. He was also a past member of the Senate of Priests
and the editorial board of the Western New York Catholic.
Until his death, Msgr. Gugino served as a member of the Priests' Council
and the board of directors and executive committee for the Catholic Health
System, as well as the Diocesan Board of Consultors and the Diocesan Counseling
Center. He was also the bishop's coordinator for Catholic health
care and served on the board of directors for the United Way of Buffalo
and Erie County and the membership board of Baker Victory Services.
Msgr. Gugino is survived by several cousins. He is pre-deceased
by his parents, Joseph and Mary (Cristiano), and his sister, Paula.
Msgr. Paschal L. Acquavia
Msgr. Paschal L. Acquavia, 80, died on March 25, 2002, in the Brothers
of Mercy Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center, Clarence.
Msgr. Acquavia was born in Dunkirk to the late Rocco and Angeline (Rado)
He attended Dunkirk Junior High School and the former Diocesan Seminary
of St. Joseph and the Little Flower, Buffalo. He received a bachelor's
degree from St. Bonaventure University and Christ the King Seminary. He
was ordained by Cardinal John O'Hara on May 22, 1948 in St. Joseph's Cathedral,
He served one year with the Missionary Apostolate at St. Mary's Parish,
Cattaraugus. Other early ministerial assignments were at St. Anthony of
Padua Parish, Batavia, and Our Lady of Loretto, Buffalo. He served at St.
James Parish, Jamestown, from 1951-1955, and Nativity of our Blessed Virgin
Mary for four years.
Msgr. Acquavia came to St. Anthony's Parish as an administrator in
1959 and was appointed pastor in 1965. He served there until his retirement
He was named monsignor in 1984. He has served as a member of the diocesan
liturgical commission, the marriage counseling program of Catholic Charities
and the diocesan Personnel Review Board and Confraternity of Catholic Clergy.
Msgr. Acquavia is survived by five sisters, Carmel Leone, Rose Skelly,
both of Ohio, Nancy St. George of Sheridan, Helen Pantano of Fredonia,
and Janey Adamczak of Dunkirk.
Bishop Henry J. Mansell was celebrant at the funeral Mass on March
27, 2002, in St. Anthony's Church, Batavia. Committal was in Holy Trinity
Church, Dunkirk, on March 28. Burial was in the parish cemetery.
Sister Mary Esther Rellinger, SSMN
Sister Mary Esther Rellinger, 86, died March 14 in Annunciation Convent
Sister Mary Esther entered the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1931
at age 16 and pronounced her perpetual vows in 1940. She graduated from
Mount St. Mary's High School and received a bachelor's degree in education
from Mount St. Joseph's College in 1965 and a master's degree in library
science from Villanova University in 1970.
She taught in Catholic schools in Buffalo, Kenmore and the Lockport
area and was a member of the Legion of Mary and the Catholic Library Association.
A funeral Mass was held in Annunciation Catholic Church. Burial was
in the Mount Olivet Cemetery, Tonawanda.
Sister Margaret Mary Shea, OSF
Sister Margaret Mary Shea, 81, died on March 2, 2002, in Olean General
Sister Margaret Mary was born in Somerville, Mass., to Denis and Bridget
Shea. She received a bachelor's degree in social science from Boston College
and master's degrees from St. Bonaventure University in education administration
Sister Margaret Mary was received into the Congregation of the Franciscan
Sisters, Allegany, at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse on Aug. 15, 1953, and professed
her final vows on Aug. 16, 1960.
As an educator, she taught at St. Clare's School, Buffalo, and St.
Elizabeth's School, Croghan. Throughout her 37 years of ministry, she also
taught at various elementary schools in the West Indies, Jamaica, Florida,
New Jersey, and Massachusetts.
She served her order as Region One Councilor and as a member of the
committee to rewrite and update the Constitutions of the Franciscan Sisters
She retired in 1991 to St. Raphael's Convent, West Medford, Mass.,
and moved to the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in 2002.
Sister Margaret Mary is survived by her sister, Mary A. Shea, and her
brother, Paul J. Shea.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel of St. Elizabeth Motherhouse.
Burial was in St. Bonaventure Cemetery.
Msgr. Edward J. Walker
Msgr. Edward J. Walker, 95, died on Feb. 28, 2002, in Mercy Hospital,
Msgr. Walker was born in Buffalo to the late Frank A. and Isabel (O'Hara)
Walker. He attended South Park High School and Canisius College, Buffalo,
and Christ the King Seminary at St. Bonaventure University. He was ordained
in St. Joseph's New Cathedral by Bishop William Turner on June 6, 1936.
Msgr. Walker's first appointments were as assistant at Annunciation
Parish, Buffalo, where he also was on the faculty of Annunciation High
School in 1936. He served at Immaculate Conception and St. Nicholas parishes,
Buffalo. He was appointed assistant at St. Mark's Parish, Buffalo and served
as secretary to Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Burke, 1942 to 1952.
He was pastor of St. Joseph's Parish, Fredonia, dean of the Northern
Catholic Clergy of Chautauqua County, chaplain of the Newman Club of the
State University of New York at Fredonia and named papal chamberlain in
1951. In 1972, he was named prelate of honor. He served as pastor of Holy
Name of Jesus Parish, Buffalo, for 15 years until his retirement in 1981.
A funeral Mass was held on March 4, 2002, in St. Thomas Aquinas Church,
Buffalo, with Bishop Henry J. Mansell as celebrant. He was buried in Holy
Cross Cemetery, Lackawanna.
Sister Mary Laurentia Tokarski, FSSJ
Sister Mary Laurentia Tokarski, 86, died Feb. 22, 2002, in Colette
Hilbert Health Center, Hamburg.
Sister Mary Laurentia was born to the late John and Anna (Sitek) Tokarski
in Milwaukee, Wis. She received a bachelor's degree from St. John's University
and a master's degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo.
She entered the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph from
St. Josaphat's Parish in Milwaukee on August 11, 1936, and professed her
final vows on July 17, 1941.
Sister Mary Laurentia began her ministry as a teacher at St. Hedwig's
School, Detroit, Mich. She then spent 36 years in the health care ministry
as director of medical records and medical records librarian at St. Mary's
Hospital, Brooklyn, and at St. Joseph's Hospital, Cheektowaga. She was
an instructor at St. Mary's Hospital School for Medical Record Librarians.
Sister also served as an archivist for the congregation.
Sister Mary Laurentia is survived by her sisters, Florence Opiela and
Alice (Richard) Cibulka.
A funeral Mass was held in Immaculate Conception Convent Chapel, Hamburg.
Burial was at St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga.
Sister Veronica M. Weber, OSF
Sister Veronica M. Weber, 90, died Feb. 21, 2002, in the health center
of St. Mary of the Angels Convent, Williamsville.
The former Sister Mary Claver was born in Hamburg. She entered the
Sisters of St. Francis of the Third Order Regular in August 1929 and professed
her final vows on Aug. 20, 1935.
Her first assignment was at the original Holy Family Home, Williamsville.
She later served in convents at St. Gerard's, St. Anne's, Holy Name of
Jesus and St. Bartholomew's, Buffalo. She was also at St. Mary's, Lancaster;
Our Lady Help of Christians, Cheektowaga, and the German Roman Catholic
In 1969, Sister Veronica came to St. Mary of the Angels Motherhouse
where she worked in the dietary department of the convent infirmary.
A funeral Mass was held on Feb. 27, 2002, in the chapel of St. Mary
of the Angels Motherhouse. Burial was in Gethsemane Cemetery, Williamsville.
Sister M. Paschal Antonucci, OSF
Sister M. Paschal Antonucci, 90, died Feb. 20, 2002, in the health
center of St. Mary of the Angels Motherhouse, Williamsville.
Sister Paschal was the eldest of seven children born to the late Pasquale
and Dalinda Antonucci. She earned her diploma from Mount St. Mary's Nursing
School, Niagara Falls, in 1936. She was granted a fellowship in the baccalaureate
program at St. Louis University where she earned a bachelor's degree in
nursing education. She joined the Sisters of St. Francis of the Third Order
Regular in Williamsville in 1931. After pronouncing temporary vows, she
began her ministry in nursing.
Sister Paschal devoted her religious life to health care covering general
and specialized nursing, supervision, teaching and hospital administration
at Mount St. Mary's Hospital in both Niagara Falls and Lewiston, St. Francis
Hospital, Buffalo, and St. Francis Home, Williamsville.
She was awarded the honorary degree of doctor of laws from Niagara
University in 1964. From 1969 to 1986 she held administrative positions
at St. Francis Hospital, Buffalo, and in her later years she devoted her
ministry to pastoral care at the hospital. She retired to St. Mary of the
Sister Paschal is survived by three sisters, Petrina (William) Chiesi,
Frances (Andrew) Fisher and Anna (Louis) DeBergalis.
A funeral Mass was held in the chapel of St. Mary of the Angels Motherhouse.
Burial was in Gethsemane Cemetery, Williamsville.
Msgr. William J. McDonnell
Long-time pastor of St. Leo the Great Parish in Amherst, Msgr. William
J. McDonnell died Jan. 7, 2002, of a heart attack while on retreat in Palm
Born in Buffalo to William J. and Marion H. (McCulle) McDonnell on
Jan. 22, 1929, Msgr. McDonnell attended Holy Family School, Canisius High
School and Canisius College, all in Buffalo.
He attended Christ the King Seminary at St. Bonaventure from 1948-1954.
On May 5, 1954, Msgr. McDonnell was ordained by Bishop Joseph . A. Burke.
His assignments include the Buffalo Missionary Apostate at Sacred Heart
Parish, Angelica, 1954—1955; assistant director of the Diocesan Summer
School program, 1955; assistant pastor of Mother of Divine Grace Parish,
Cheektowaga, 1955-1964; assistant pastor of St. Joseph's New Cathedral
and secretary to bishop James A. McNulty, 1964-1973; and pastor of St.
Anthony's Parish, Lockport, 1973-1978. He began serving as pastor of St.
Leo the Great Parish in 1978.
Msgr. McDonnell also served as director of the Catholic Lawyers Guild
and president of the Diocesan Pastoral council, as well as serving two
terms on the Priests Senate, five years on the Diocesan Liturgical Commission
and as chairman of the Catholic Charities Budget Committee.
Msgr. McDonnell was named Papal Chamberlain by Pope Paul VI on Dec.
2, 1967. He also was named a Prelate of Honor by Pope John Paul II, October
1988. In 1998, he received the Cure of Ars award from Christ the King Seminary.
He was honored by the Diocesan Union of Holy Name Societies in 1999. Survivors
include three sisters, Marion Jones of Amherst, Janet Coughlin of Lackawanna,
Ann Browne of Buffalo; and three brothers, Deacon Thomas A. of Orchard
Park, Robert J. of Boston, N.Y. and James J. of Hamburg.
A funereal Mass was held at St. Leo the Great Church. Burial was at
Holy Cross Cemetery in Lackawanna.