Miscellaneous Erie County, New York Obituaries
From the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo

CEMSEARCH - OBITUARY CENTRAL - OBITUARY LINKS PAGE - SURNAME SEARCH UTILITY - GENLOOKUPS


First Name:
Last Name:
Sister Natalie Palagyi, SSS
Sister Natalie Palagyi, 91, died January 16, 2001, in Sisters Hospital, Buffalo.
Sister Natalie was born in Budapest, Hungary. She entered the Sisters of Social Service in 1927. During World War II she helped Jews escape Nazi persecution. She also ministered to working women under the Working Girls Movement, a Catholic organization established in Hungary after World War I. In 1950 she traveled to the United States when communists forced her order out of the country. There she joined the sisters' Buffalo community. Sister Natalie was elected to two terms as superior general of her order beginning in 1963. While superior general she assisted sisters who were underground in Eastern Europe and Cuba and helped promote development of the order's United States District of the Sisters of Social Service. 
Sister Natalie returned to Europe in 1975 to work for the Hungarian Mission in Weingarten, Germany. When she returned to Buffalo, she spent 20 years as mission coordinator and archivist for both the sisters' generalate and U.S. District. While in the U.S. she also served as mistress of novices, assistant to the superior general, and coordinator of the House of Providence in Syracuse. 
In 1999 Sister Natalie's health began to fail and she became a resident of the Infirmary of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Clarence. 
Survivors include a sister, Sister Andrea, also a resident of the Sisters of St. Joseph Infirmary, and a brother, John, of Buffalo. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated at Blessed Sacrament Church in Buffalo. Burial was in Holy Cross Cemetery in Lackawanna. 

Sister Mary Juventia Sipior, CSSF
Sister Mary Juventia Sipior, 97, died January 14, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Juventia was born Honorata Sipior to the late Adalbert and Mary Anne (Buczynska) Sipior. She was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria), Buffalo, and received a bachelor's degree from Canisius College, Buffalo. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1920 and professed her final vows in 1928. 
For 70 years, Sister Mary Juventia ministered in education. She served as a full-time teacher at several schools throughout the dioceses of Buffalo and Syracuse. She also served as principal at St. Hyacinth School, Dunkirk; Queen of All Saints, Buffalo; and St. Michael School, Lackawanna. 
In 1977, Sister Mary Juventia taught part-time at Holy Spirit School in North Collins. She later assisted as a library aide at St. Stanislaus School in Buffalo and taught religious education for the parish. 
In 1992 she became a member of the Provincial House of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent and later moved to the St. Francis Residence. In 1999 she became a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary. 
Survivors include a brother, Alphonse, and several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel, Buffalo. Interment followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery. 

Sister Mary Charles Szymanski, CSSF
Sister Mary Charles Szymanski, 98, died January 12, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary in Buffalo.Sister Mary Charles was born Bronislava Szymanski to the late Andrew and Michaeline (Fryczynska) Szymanski. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1923 and professed her final vows in 1931. After graduating from Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo, Sister Mary Charles attended Canisius College, where she received both bachelor's and master's degrees. She also received a certificate in library science from Geneseo State College.
For 22 years Sister Mary Charles ministered as a full-time elementary school teacher throughout the dioceses of Buffalo and Syracuse. She also served at the former Immaculate Heart of Mary Home for Children in Cheektowaga and spent 13 years teaching at Villa Maria Academy and Bishop Colton High School, both in Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Charles began ministering as a librarian and audiovisual media director at Villa Maria College, Buffalo, in 1966. She later served as librarian at Villa Maria Convent for 16 years. In 1981 she moved to St. Francis Residence and became a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary in 1997. 
Survivors include a sister, Florence Kuczkowski of Cheektowaga, and several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Interment was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary Virgil Strzempka, CSSF
Sister Mary Virgil Strzempka, 90, died January 7, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Cheektowaga. 
Sister Mary Virgil was born Genevieve Strzempka to the late Stanley and Stella (Beresniewicz) Strzempka. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1929 and professed her final vows in 1937. Sister Mary Virgil graduated from the Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy) in Buffalo. She earned a bachelor's degree from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille) in Buffalo. She also received a library science certificate at Villa Maria College, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Virgil began serving as a teacher at SS. Peter and Paul School, Depew, and later assisted with the publication of “Ave Maria,” a periodical honoring Mary that is printed by the Felician Sisters. Thirty-five years were spent ministering at the former Immaculate Heart of Mary Home for Children in Cheektowaga, where she cared for groups of girls for 16 years and served in the office for 19 years. Sister Mary Virgil also served as a secretarial services aide at Villa Maria Convent in Buffalo, Cantalician Center for Learning, Buffalo, and Southtowns Catholic School, Lakeview. In 1990 she assisted as a part-time office aide at Villa Maria College and in several other capacities at the Villa Maria complex until 1996. She then became a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated at the Villa Maria Convent Chapel in Buffalo. Interment was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Father Walter L. Tomiak
Father Walter L. Tomiak, 86, died January 7, 2001, at Sisters Hospital, Buffalo. 
Father Tomiak was born in Buffalo in 1913 to the late Walter and Cecelia Tomiak. He attended St. Florian School, Public School #42, Hutchinson Technical High School, and East High School, all in Buffalo; Canisius College, Buffalo; and St. Bonaventure University. In 1940 he entered Christ the King Seminary at St. Bonaventure and was later ordained at St. Joseph Cathedral by Bishop John A. Duffy. Father Tomiak celebrated his first Mass at St. Valentine Parish, South Buffalo. 
Father Tomiak ministered in the missionary apostolate in Cherry Creek; as assistant pastor at Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, St. Luke, St. Valentine, Queen of Peace, Assumption, Transfiguration, and St. Stanislaus parishes, all in Buffalo; as chaplain, Deaconess Hospital, Buffalo, Erie County Home and Infirmary, and Erie County Penitentiary, Alden; as pastor, St. Mary Parish, Pavilion, and priest in residence at St. Mary Parish, Medina. He retired in 1977 to St. Elizabeth Home in Lancaster. 
Father Tomiak was a member of the Knights of Columbus. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry Mansell at Assumption Parish, Buffalo. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Joan Maxwell, SSJ
Sister Joan Maxwell, formerly Sister John Marie, died January 4, 2001, at the Sisters of St. Joseph Clarence Residence. 
Sister Joan was born to the late Dr. John Maxwell, DDS, and Elizabeth (Dwyer) Maxwell. She was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph Academy and Mount St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille), both in Buffalo. In 1947 she entered the Sisters of St. Joseph and made her first profession of vows in 1949. 
She ministered as an elementary school teacher at several schools throughout the Diocese of Buffalo, including St. Joseph in Fredonia, St. Aloysius in Cheektowaga, and St. John the Baptist in Alden. 
In 1970, Sister Joan began service on the Clarence Residence staff to which she later retired. 
Survivors include a sister, Margaret Maxwell of Snyder. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Sisters of St. Joseph Clarence Residence. Burial followed in the Mount St. Joseph section of Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo. 

Sister Mary Celeste Kalinowski, CSSF
Sister Mary Celeste Kalinowski, died January 1, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo.
Sister Mary Celeste was born Frances Kalinowski to the late Ignatius and Rose (Bazydlo) Kalinowski. She was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo. In 1928, she entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters and professed her final vows in 1936. 
For 34 years, Sister Mary Celeste served as a full-time teacher. She spent 14 years teaching at several Catholic schools throughout the Diocese of Buffalo and 18 years in the Diocese of Syracuse. She served as a religious education teacher in the dioceses of Syracuse, Ogdensburg, Buffalo, and St. Catharines, Ontario. She also served in day care in Perry, Buffalo, and Toronto, Ontario. In 1984 Sister Mary Celeste began a 12 year ministry as a school aide in Syracuse. 
Sister Mary Celeste became a member of St. Francis Residence in 1996 and later a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary Gemmita Healey, OSF
Sister Mary Gemmita Healey, died December 29, 2000, in Olean General Hospital. 
In 1914, Sister Mary Gemmita was born Madeline Healey to the late Peter and Alice (Boyle) Healey in Lowell, Mass. She entered the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in 1934 and professed her final vows in 1941. 
Sister Mary Gemmita taught primary and middle grades for 35 years in schools throughout Buffalo, Allegany, Olean, and Rochester. In 1970 she began ministering as a nurse's aide at the motherhouse and volunteered at St. Francis Hospital. She retired in 1983 to Mary's Hall and later the motherhouse infirmary. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the chapel of the St. Elizabeth Motherhouse. Interment followed in St. Bonaventure Cemetery in Allegany. 

Sister Ruth Spaulding, GNSH
Sister Ruth Spaulding (formerly Sister Mary Carmel), died December 26, 2000, at the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart Motherhouse in Yardley, Pa. 
Sister Ruth was born in Buffalo in 1929 to the late Burdell and Hilda (Schwam) Spaulding. She was a graduate of St. Rose of Lima School and Holy Angels Academy, both in Buffalo. She also earned a bachelor's degree from D'Youville College, Buffalo. In 1947 she entered the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart. She made her final profession in 1953. 
Sister Ruth ministered in education in Jackson Heights, Ogdensburg, Corona, Buffalo, Depew, and Westbury. She also served in Arkansas, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Locally she taught at St. Rose of Lima School where she also served as assistant principal, and at St. James School in Depew. 
Survivors include a sister, Mary Jeanne Aiple; a sister-in-law, Helen; and several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated at the Sacred Heart Chapel at the Grey Nuns Motherhouse. Burial followed in the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Cheltenham, Pa. 

Sister Mary Cantia Wegrzyn, CSSF
Sister Mary Cantia Wegrzyn, former teacher and administrator, died December 24, 2000, in St. Francis Residence, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Cantia was born Agnes Wegrzyn to the late Paul and Marion (Uczen) Wegrzyn. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1934 and professed her final vows in 1942. She was a graduate of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo, and earned a bachelor's degree from Mount St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille), Buffalo. 
For 30 years, Sister Mary Cantia served as a full-time teacher in several schools throughout the Diocese of Buffalo. She also served as principal of Holy Spirit School in North Collins and Resurrection School in Cheektowaga. She also served in the Diocese of Syracuse. Besides teaching, Sister Mary Cantia ministered at the Provincial house of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Province and served as local minister and director of auxiliary enterprises at Villa Maria convent, and as sacristan at St. Joseph Cathedral, Buffalo. 
In 1993, Sister Mary Cantia moved to Villa Angela Convent in Elma where she assisted with general services. She became a member of St. Francis Residence in 1997 and served as a part-time receptionist and in occupational therapy at Villa Maria Infirmary. 
Survivors include a sister, Catherine Panek, one niece, and one nephew. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga. 

Sister John Louise Wall, OP 
Sister John Louise Wall, 76, died December 22, 2000, in the Sansbury Care Center in St. Catherine, Ky. 
Sister John Louise was born Mary Louise Wall in Syracuse. She moved to Buffalo where she graduated from Holy Angels Academy in 1942. After graduation she joined the Coast Guard and served for four years during World War II. Later, she attended the University of Buffalo and earned a degree in physical education. She taught physical education in the Buffalo public schools and the Springville school district. 
In 1958 Sister John Louise entered the religious order of the Dominican Sisters. She received a degree in physical therapy in 1965 and worked as a therapist at the Sansbury Care Center until her health began to fail 10 years ago. 
Survivors include a sister, Jeanne A. Menge of East Aurora, and two brothers, John G. Wall of Atlanta, Ga., and Thomas J. Wall of the Town of Tonawanda. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in St. Catherine along with her burial. 

Father John P. Hennessey
Father John P. Hennessey, 78, died January 18, 2001, in Mount St. Mary Hospital, Lewiston.
Father Hennessey was born in Niagara Falls, in 1922, to the late John P. and Honora (Lysaght) Hennessey. After graduating from Sacred Heart School, Niagara Falls, he attended the Diocesan Prepratory Seminary, Buffalo; St. Bonaventure University; Pennsylvannia State University; and Christ the King Seminary at St. Bonaventure. While at St. Bonaventure he received a master's degree in ancient languages. 
In 1947 Father Hennessey was ordained by Bishop John F. O'Hara at St. Joseph Cathedral in Buffalo. His assignments included missionary apostolate; chaplain, United States Air Force; assistant pastor, St. Monica Parish, St. Brigid, Holy Spirit, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, and St. Rose of Lima parishes, all in Buffalo; and pastor, St. Mary Parish, Bolivar. He retired in 1979. 
Father Hennessey was a member of the Kenyon Andrus Post 722, the American Legion in Bolivar, and a past district chaplain for the American Legion. 
Survivors include a brother Robert J. Hennessey of Niagara Falls; three sisters, Anne Walsh of Youngstown, Rita Kralik of Ohio, and Mary Louise Hennessey of Buffalo; and several nieces, nephews, great nieces, and great nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated by Bishop Henry Mansell at Sacred Heart Church in Niagara Falls. 

Sister Mary Francetta Okwiara, CSSF
Sister Mary Francetta Okwiara, 80, died January 18, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo.
Sister Mary Francetta was born Lucy Okwiara to the late Vincent and Bernice (Zurek) Okwiara, in Buffalo. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1940 and professed her final vows in 1948. A graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria), Buffalo, she went on to receive a bachelor's degree from Canisius College, Buffalo, and a master's degree from St. Bonaventure University. 
For 24 years she ministered as an elementary school teacher in several schools throughout the Diocese of Buffalo. She taught at Bishop Colton High School, Buffalo, and served both as teacher and principal at St. John De LaSalle School, Niagara Falls, and St. James School in Depew. She also taught in the Diocese of Syracuse; Sao Paulo, Brazil; and Rio de Janeiro. 
In 1992 Sister Mary Francetta became a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary. 
Survivors include a sister, Jean Lazik, and a niece. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel, Buffalo. Burial followed in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Deacon Francesco G. Vega 
Deacon Francesco G. Vega, 84, died January 17, 2001, in Brooks Memorial Hospital, Dunkirk. 
Deacon Vega was born in Patillas, Puerto Rico, in 1916. He was ordained in Buffalo in 1978 and assigned to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in Dunkirk. He served there in the Spanish Apostolate and also worked as a track maintenance supervisor for the Norfolk and Western Railroad in Dunkirk. He retired as a deacon in 1987. 
Deacon Vega was a member of the Holy Name Society of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish and the Knights of Columbus. 
Deacon Vega is survived by his wife, Eufemia R.; four daughters, Higinia Lozada, Aida L., and Catherine Vega-Berrios, all of Dunkirk, and Wilda Vega-Singer of Cherry Creek; six sons, Luis, Francisco, and Miguel, all of Dunkirk, Ramon of Maryland, Thomas of Houston, and Reinaldo of Puerto Rico; 41 grandchildren; 38 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in Dunkirk. Burial was in Patillas Cemetery, Puerto Rico. 

Sister Kathleen Sagrue, GNSH
Sister Kathleen Sagrue, GNSH, 89, died March 5, 2001, in St. Joseph Infirmary at the Motherhouse of the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart in Yardley, Pa.
Sister Kathleen was the daughter of the late Timothy and Margaret (McCabe) Sagrue. In 1934 she entered the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart and made her profession of vows in 1937. She studied at D'Youville College, Buffalo, DePaul University in Chicago, and Villanova University, Villanova, Pa. 
For 56 years she ministered in the field of education. She taught kindergarten and third grade at Holy Angels School in Buffalo and served as principal there for six years. She also served in Ogdensburg, Jackson Heights, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Sister Kathleen retired to the Grey Nuns Motherhouse in 1993. 
Sister Kathleen is survived by her nieces, Margaret Zuzel of Massachusetts and Lorna Curtis of Florida. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Sacred Heart Chapel of the Grey Nuns Motherhouse. Interment was in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Philadelphia. 

Sister Veronica Rynne, GNSH
Sister Veronica Rynne, GNSH, 90, died March 4, 2001, in St. Joseph Infirmary, Grey Nuns Motherhouse, Yardley, Pa.
Sister Veronica was born in 1910 in Lowell, Mass., to the late Peter Joseph and Anna T. (Maguire) Rynne. She graduated from Immaculate Conception Elementary School and Immaculate Conception High School, both in Lowell. She also attended Burdett College in Boston, where she graduated in 1931. In 1932 she entered the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart, professing her first vows in 1935 and her final vows in 1938. Sister Veronica also attended D'Youville College in Buffalo, where she received a bachelor's degree. 
For 56 years Sister Veronica served as a teacher in Pennsylvania, Ogdensburg, Jackson Heights, Corona, Massachusetts, and Buffalo. Locally she taught first and seventh grade at Holy Angels School in Buffalo. 
In 1968 she served in the business and finance office at the Grey Nun Academy. She also served in several other positions within the congregation until her retirement in 1988. 
Survivors include a sister, Ann Markham of Massachusetts. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Sacred Heart Chapel of the Grey Nuns Motherhouse. Burial was in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Philadelphia. 

Sister Mary Flavia Kwiatkowski, CSSF 
Sister Mary Flavia Kwiatkowski, 91, died on February 24, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Flavia was born Leocadia Kwiatkowski to the late Michael and Frances (Szadlowska) Kwiatkowski. She entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters in 1926 and professed her final vows in 1934. She was a graduate of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo. She attended Mount St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille College), Buffalo, where she earned a bachelor's degree in education. Sister Mary Flavia also received a master's degree in education from St. Bonaventure University. 
For 48 years Sister Mary Flavia ministered in the field of education. She served as an elementary school teacher in the dioceses of Buffalo and Syracuse. Locally she taught and served as principal at Queen of the Most Holy Rosary School, St. Luke School, and St. John Kanty School, all in Buffalo. She also taught religion at St. Patrick School in Salamanca. 
Sister Mary Flavia spent nine years serving as a part-time teacher and librarian at St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish in Niagara Falls. She also assisted as a librarian at Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish in Cheektowaga. In 1992 she became a member of St. Francis Residence and assisted in occupational therapy. She became a patient of Villa Maria Infirmary in May of 2000. 
Survivors include a sister, Regina Gonska of Olean, and several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Interment was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister K. Rita Sheridan, OSF
Sister Rita Sheridan, OSF, 70, died February 18, 2001, in Tampa, Fla. 
Sister Rita was born Kathryn Rita Sheridan in Tully in 1930 to the late James A. and Catherine (Connell) Sheridan. She joined the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in 1951 and professed her final vows in 1958. 
Sister Rita served as a teacher at schools in New Jersey, North Carolina, and Buffalo. Locally, she taught eighth grade at Our Lady of Perpetual Help from 1964 to 1966. She also served as librarian in West Islip and earned a master's degree in library science from Rosary College in River Forest, Ill. She served as librarian and vice-principal in Florida and later as a secretary for St. Francis Residence, also in Florida. Sister Rita served in parish ministry from 1988 up until her retirement in 1998. 
Survivors include three sisters, Mary Carsello and Barbara Aloi of Cortland, and Christine Sheridan of Schenectady, and one brother, James L. Sheridan of Cortland. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Chapel of St. Elizabeth Motherhouse. Interment was in St. Bonaventure Cemetery in Allegany. 

Sister Adeline Ratajczak, FSSJ 
Sister Adeline Ratajczak, 94, died February 17, 2001, at Colette Hilbert Health Center, Hamburg. 
Sister Adeline was born Martha Marie Ratajczak in Baltimore in 1906, to the late Anthony and Pearl (Sobczak) Ratajczak. She entered the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph in 1922. She professed her final vows in 1927. Sister Adeline received a bachelor's degree from Immaculatate College in Pennsylvania and a master's degree from St. Bonaventure University in Olean. 
Sister Adeline ministered in the field of education for 39 years. She taught in Massachusetts, Pennsylvannia, and Michingan. She served as both teacher and principal in Maryland, Alabama, and Wisconsin. Locally, she served as teacher and principal at Corpus Christi School in Buffalo. Sister Adeline also served as a council member for the congregation for 14 years. 
In 1982 Sister Adeline retired to Immaculate Conception Convent. She later joined the community of the sisters in the health center. 
Survivors include a brother, Leonard; a cousin, Sister M. Carmeline Ryan, FSSJ, and several nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grandnephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated at the Immaclate Conception Convent Chapel in Hamburg. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary Herbert Zimmer, OSF 
Sister Mary Herbert Zimmer, 97, died on February 15, 2001, in Olean General Hospital. 
In 1903 Sister Mary Herbert was born Irene Angela Zimmer to the late Peter and Elizabeth (Speidel) Zimmer in Buffalo. She was received into the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of Allegany at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in 1923. She professed her final vows in 1931. 
For 22 years Sister Mary Herbert ministered in the field of education. She taught in Croghan, Buffalo, New York City, Rome, N.Y., and Connecticut. She also served in Rochester, Niagara Falls, and Mt. Vernon, and worked as a school secretary in New Jersey. 
She attended St. Bonaventure University where she received both a bachelor's and a master's degree. In 1982 Sister Mary Herbert retired to St. Elizabeth Motherhouse in Allegany. There she assisted in the office of the local secretary. In 2000, she moved to the Infirmary at St. Elizabeth Motherhouse. 
Survivors include several nieces, nephews, and cousins. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Chapel of St. Elizabeth Motherhouse. Interment was in St. Bonaventure Cemetery in Allegany. 

Father Julian Arent, OFM 
Father Julian Henry Arent, 80, died February 12, 2001, in Manitowoc, WI. 
Father Julian was born in Buffalo in 1920, to the late Leonard and Julia (Moskal) Arent. He entered the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Province of the Franciscan Friars in Pulaski, WI, in 1938. He made his final profession in 1942 and was ordained in 1946. 
Father Julian was editor of several Franciscan publications including the “Miesiecznik Franciszkanski,” the “Kalendarz Franciszkanski,” and assistant editor of the “Franciscan Message.” 
Father Julian did mission work in the Philippine Islands. He also served in Greenwood, Mass., Burlington, Wis., and further served in the Philippine Islands until poor health forced him to return to the States. He later served in Lodi, N.J., and Mishawaka, Ind. In 1990 he suffered a stroke and was transferred to St. Mary Home in Manitowoc. 
Survivors include a brother, Daniel, and several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Pulaski. Burial was in the Provincial cemetery. 

Sister Mary Elvina Janaczek, CSSF 
Sister Mary Elvina Janaczek, 87, died February 10, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary, Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Elvina was born Jane Janaczek in Buffalo to the late John and Anastasia (Kowalska) Janaczek. She was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo. She also attended Mount St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille College), Buffalo, where she earned a bachelor's degree, and received a master's degree from Canisius College, Buffalo. 
In 1931 Sister Mary Elvina entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters. She professed her vows in 1939. 
For 38 years Sister Mary Elvina ministered as a full-time teacher. She taught at several Catholic elementary schools throughout the dioceses of Syracuse, Buffalo, and Erie, Pa. She also served as principal at Queen of Martyrs School, Cheektowaga, and St. Luke School, Buffalo. Sister Mary Elvina also established the Villa Maria College Polish Culture Circle, and worked as a secretary and Polish-language instructor. Later, she assisted as an office aide at several schools and as a home aide. Sister Mary Elvina was also responsible for coordinating the stamp project at St. Francis Residence, Buffalo. 
In 1998 Sister Mary Elvina became a patient in Villa Maria Infirmary. 
Survivors include two sisters, Pauline Mazikowski of Amherst, and Helen Zurak of Hawaii; a brother, Henry of Hamburg; a nephew, Father Joseph Janaczek; and several other nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery, Cheektowaga. 

Sister Mary of the Angels Kennedy, GNSH 
Sister Mary of the Angels Kennedy, 94, died February 3, 2001, in St. Joseph Community, Grey Nuns Motherhouse in Yardley, Pa. 
Sister Mary was born in Buffalo in 1906 to the late Thomas and Bridget (McGowan) Kennedy. She was a graduate of Nardin Academy, Buffalo, and worked as a reservation clerk for the New York Central Railroad before joining the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart. She entered the Grey Nuns in 1928 and professed her vows in 1931. 
Sister Mary also attended D'Youville College, Buffalo, where she received a bachelor's degree in English, and the Catholic University in Washington, D.C. She ministered in the field of elementary education in Ogdensburg, Buffalo, Eden, Jackson Heights, Flushing, and Paoli, Pa. Locally she taught at Holy Angels School and St. Rose of Lima School, both in Buffalo; and Immaculate Conception School in Eden. She also served as principal of St. Rose of Lima School and in a clerical capacity at Holy Angels Academy, Buffalo. From 1970 to 1972 she served as a member of the administrative council of the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart. She retired to the motherhouse in 1988. 
Survivors include several nieces and nephews. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in the Sacred Heart Chapel of the Grey Nuns Motherhouse. Burial was in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Philadelphia, Pa. 

Sister Mary Dosithea Bagrowski, CSSF 
Sister Mary Dosithea Bagrowski, 96, died February 2, 2001, in Villa Maria Infirmary in Buffalo. 
Sister Mary Dosithea was born Hedwig Bagrowski to Stanislaus and Stella (Wrobel) Bagrowski. She was a graduate of Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy (now Villa Maria Academy), Buffalo. She also attended Mt. St. Joseph Teachers College (now Medaille College), Buffalo, where she received a bachelor's degree. In 1924 she entered the Buffalo Province of the Felician Sisters and professed her final vows in 1932. 
For 43 years she ministered as a full-time Catholic elementary school teacher. She taught for 32 years in the Diocese of Buffalo, 10 years in the Diocese of Syracuse, and one year in the Diocese of Erie, Pa. Sister Mary Dosithea also served as principal at Our Lady of Czestochowa School in North Tonawanda. 
While spending eight years at St. Francis Convent she taught religious education at St. Patrick Parish, Barker. She also taught religious education at St. Teresa of Avila Parish in Akron. 
In 1980 Sister Mary Dosithea began ministering as an occupational therapy aide in Villa Maria Infirmary, a position she held for 17 years. In 1997 she too became a patient in the infirmary. 
Survivors include a niece and a nephew. 
A funeral Mass was celebrated in Villa Maria Convent Chapel. Burial was in St. Stanislaus Cemetery in Cheektowaga.


CEMSEARCH - OBITUARY CENTRAL - OBITUARY LINKS PAGE - SURNAME SEARCH UTILITY