Miscellaneous Hillsborough County, New Hampshire Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Jane H. Colby
Avid reader and lover of cats

Jane H. (DelleChiaie) Colby, 59, of Leominster, Mass., died Feb. 27, 2002, in the Highlands Long Term Care Center in Leominster, after an illness.

Mrs. Colby was born Sept. 11, 1942, in Leominster, daughter of Virginia (Blanchflower) Dellechiaie of Henderson, Nev., and the late Lawrence Dellechiaie. She moved to Townsend, Mass., in 1964, returning to Leominster in 1982.

She was a hairdresser and a bartender for many years.

Mrs. Colby was a lover of cats and an avid reader.

She graduated from Leominster High School in 1960. She also graduated from Henri’s School of Hair Design in Fitchburg, Mass.

Mrs. Colby was predeceased by a daughter, Melissa Colby, who died in 1966, and a sister, Joan Corrieri-Kim of Las Vegas.

Besides her mother, survivors include her mother’s husband, William Yeager of Henderson, Nev.; a son, Todd Colby of Florida; a daughter, Christina Rintoul of Milford; and a grandson, Jake Rintoul of Milford.

The funeral was held March 1, in The Brandon Funeral Home in Fitchburg, Mass. Burial will be private.

Memorial donations may be made in her memory to the Pat Brody Shelter for Cats, PO Box 142, Lunenburg, MA 01462.

Robert G. Curran
Former nursing home administrator

Robert G. Curran, 76, of Bedford, died Feb. 26, 2002, at Hillsborough County Nursing Home after a long illness.

Born in Boston, he was the son of Dr. Louis and Ann (Zollo) Curran.

Mr. Curran began his education at St. Michael’s College in Woonoski Park, Vt. He left to serve with the Navy as a hospital corpsman during World War II. In 1949, he earned a bachelor’s degree from Boston College.

Later, he went on to receive a master’s degree from the University of Minnesota in 1956.

From 1978 to 1992, he served as the administrator of the Hillsborough County Nursing Home.

Mr. Curran was a member of the Boston College Club of New Hampshire, the American College of Healthcare Administrators, and the New Hampshire Association of County Nursing Home Administrators.

He was predeceased by a son, Robert G. Curran, in 1965.

The family includes his wife of 52 years, Catherine “Kitty” (Doyle) Curran of Bedford; two daughters, Maureen V. Belanger and Patricia A. Curran Foster, both of Manchester; five grandchildren; a brother, James C. Curran of Hancock; and several nieces, nephews and cousins.

Estelle J. Geoffrion
Communicant of St. Jean the Baptiste

Estelle J. (Ouellette) Geoffrion, 88, of Bedford, died Feb. 25, 2002, at Hanover Hill Nursing Home, Manchester, after a brief illness.

Born in Grand Isle, Maine, on Dec. 11, 1913, she was the daughter of Severin and Louise (Lavoie) Ouellette. She was a graduate of Fort Kent Normal School in Fort Kent, Maine. She lived most of her life in Manchester.

Before and after raising her family, she worked as a teacher. She was a communicant of St. Jean the Baptiste Church in Manchester.

She was married to Edgar Geoffrion, who died in 1981.

Family members include five children, Pauline Sullivan of Manchester, David Geoffrion of Las Vegas, Nev., Leo “Geoff” Geoffrion of Salem, Anne-Marie Sommer of Antrim and Norman Geoffrion of Hooksett; seven grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; a sister, Laura St. Pierre of Lewiston, Maine; and two nephews and one niece.

Joyce E. Kenne
Librarian at Amherst Middle School

Joyce E. Kenne, 64, of Amherst, died Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2002, at her home after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Mrs. Kenne was born April 5, 1937, in Hamer Township, Ohio, daughter of the late Mary Elizabeth (McLaughlin) Gall and Russell L. Gall. Prior to moving to Amherst in 1970, she resided in Mt. Clemens and Ann Arbor, Mich.

She was the widow of John W. Kenne Jr., who died of cancer in 2000. They were married 39 years.

Mrs. Kenne was an elementary school librarian in Michigan from 1959 to 1967. She then became a lecturer in the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University until 1970. Moving to Amherst, she worked as a librarian at Birch Hill Elementary School in Nashua for one year before assisting in opening the library at the Amherst Middle School in 1973. Mrs. Kenne then served as the librarian there for 20 years.

Mrs. Kenne received the Eleanor Roosevelt Award in 1999, presented by the American Association of University Women, as one who had made a significant contribution to excellence in education by implementing, supporting or facilitating programs or activities within the state of New Hampshire. During her years at Amherst Middle School she developed several federal and local grant proposals and was coordinator and originator of numerous school-wide projects such as RAILS, Author Hotline, Critical TV Viewing Skill, Invention Program and Student of the Month, among others. In 1987, Mrs. Kenne received the Award of Honor from the National School Public Relations Association for outstanding contributions to education through exemplary public relations practice.

She served on many committees including Interscholastic/Intramurals, TriTown Drug Bewareness, Human Growth and Development, Staff Development, Project Adolescent and Gifted and Talented. She also served on the PTA Board and as an officer for the Amherst Education Association.

For 20 years, Mrs. Kenne coached many teams in Odyssey of the Mind and Destination Imagination, with teams going to the world finals. She also was director of Camp Invention and in 1996 became regional coordinator for New Hampshire. She helped to form and had served on the New Hampshire Young Inventors Consortium since 1987, and she served on the Board of the Environmental Schools USA/Canada, as well as the board of directors of N.H. Association for Gifted Students.

Mrs. Kenne had been a member of the American Association of University Women since 1971 and Friends of the Amherst Town Library since 1996. She also served on the Ferry Beach executive board of directors in Saco, Maine.

Mrs. Kenne earned a bachelor’s degree from Eastern Michigan University with a major in education and a minor in history, literature, arts and library science. Later, she earned a master’s degree in library science at the University of Michigan. After moving to New Hampshire, she earned a master’s degree in educational management with principal certification.

She was predeceased by a sister, Linda Gall of Temple, who died in 2001.

Survivors include three daughters, Kimberly Kenne of Pasadena, Calif., Cynthia Kenne of Ypsilanti, Mich., and Trifana Argue of Weare; a son-in-law, Richard Webster; five grandchildren, Wilton Webster, Abigail Webster, Holden Maxwell Kenne, Kevin Woods and Nicole Butler; a brother and sister-in-law, Larry and Debby Gall of Lynchburg, Ohio; two sisters and a brother-in-law, Sandra Perfito of Wilton and Judith and Robert Higbee of Novi, Mich.; a mother-in-law, Eloise Kenne of Ann Arbor, Mich.; a brother-in-law, Mike Kenne and his wife, Judi, of Gainesville, Fla.; a sister-in-law, Kathy Nelson and her husband, Richard, of Willis, Mich.; and several aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews.

A memorial service was held March 2 at the Unitarian Universalist Congregational Church in Milford. Funeral services were also held at The Turner and Sons Funeral Home in Hillsboro, Ohio, March 5. Interment will be at Hamer Township Cemetery in Danville, Ohio. Memorial donations may be made to the Joyce Kenne Scholarship Fund, 7 Tanglewood Way, Amherst, NH 03031.

The Smith & Heald Funeral Home in Milford is in charge of arrangements.

Margaret G. Lavoie
Owner of Lavoie’s Farm in Hollis

Margaret G. (Hogan) Lavoie, 90, of Nartoff Road, Hollis, died Saturday, March 2, 2002, at the Fairview Nursing Home in Hudson.

Mrs. Lavoie was born Oct. 30, 1911, in Nashua, daughter of the late John and Sara (Guimond) Hogan. She was a resident of Hollis for most of her life.

She was the widow of Adrien “Sippy” Lavoie, who died in 1989, just 12 days short of their 39th wedding anniversary.

Mrs. Lavoie was a homemaker who helped her husband and sons in the operation of Lavoie’s Fruits and Vegetables and the Lavoie Greenhouse in Hollis. She enjoyed tending the many pots of flowers hanging on her porch and spoiling her cat. She was an avid follower of the Boston Celtics.

She attended the Hollis school system and graduated from Hollis High School in 1929.

She was predeceased by four brothers, James Hogan, Mike Hogan, Benjamin Hogan and John Hogan; and one sister, Mary Badger.

Survivors include three sons and daughters in-law, John and Ruth Lavoie of Hollis, Donald and Susan Lavoie of Milford and Paul and Charlotte Lavoie of Amherst; two daughters, Mary Koes of Potsdam, N.Y., and Margaret “Peg” Lavoie of Hollis; and 10 grandchildren, Lisa Lavoie of Cambridge, Mass., Donald Lavoie of Key West, Fla., Derrick Koes of Pelham, Steven Koes of Atlanta, Ga., David Koes of Santa Barbara, Calif., Adrien Lavoie of Hollis, Curtis Lavoie of Milford, Sara Lavoie of Hollis, Margaret Lavoie of Amherst and Andrew Lavoie of Amherst.

Funeral services were held March 6 from The Zis-Sweeney Funeral Home, Nashua. A Mass of Christian Burial followed in the Parish of the Resurrection Church, Nashua. Burial will be in St. Francis Xavier Cemetery, Nashua.

For more information, go to http://web.archive.org/web/20020625195659/http://www.zissweeneyfuneralhome.com/.

Herman Leclair
Foreman at Nashua Mills

Herman Leclair, 94, of Hudson, died Feb. 22, 2002, at Fairview Nursing Home in Hudson.

He was born June 10, 1907, in Nashua, son of the late Epiphane and Maria (LaSalle) Leclair.

Mr. Leclair was the widower of Lillian (Lavoie) Leclair, who died in 1993.

Mr. Leclair worked as a foreman at the Nashua Mills for many years. He had also worked at Bemis Paper Mill.

He was a communicant of St. Francis Xavier Church in Nashua.

He was educated in the Nashua school system. After completing his education he moved to Hollis.

Besides his wife, he was predeceased by three brothers Robert Leclair, Ernest Leclair and Paul Leclair; and four sisters, Irene LaViolette, Noella Kurtz, Armandine Askham and Theresa Burelle.

Survivors include two sisters and one brother-in-law, Jeanette and Roger J. Robert of Nashua and Laurette Beals of Hastings, Fla.; seven sisters-in-law, Margaret Lavoie of Hollis, Florette “Flo” Leclair of Merrimack, Ethyline “Lyn” Leclair of Virginia, Fern Seaverns and her husband, Lenny, of Spring Hill, Fla., Doris Rood of New Port Ritchie, Fla., Rachel Lavoie of Nashua and Janet Patterson of Port Ritchie, Fla.; and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

The Zis-Sweeney Funeral Home in Nashua is in charge of arrangements

Cecile M. Lescatre
Lifelong Manchester resident

Cecile M. (Drolet) Lescatre, 91, of Manchester, died March 2, 2002, at Elliot Hospital after a brief illness.

Born July 19, 1910, in Manchester, she was the daughter of Ozias and Alice (Cormier) Drolet.

A lifelong resident of Manchester, she was a communicant of St. Edmond Church.

She was predeceased by her husband, Ferdinand Lescatre, in 1974, and by a daughter, Estelle Boilard, in 1962.

The family includes a daughter, Theresa M. Lescatre, of Manchester; a son, Raymond A. Lescatre of Merrimack; nine grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild; a half-sister, Cecue Crowley, of Haverhil, Mass., a half-brother, Gilbert St. Pierre, of Methuen, Mass.; and nieces and nephews.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated March 4 in St. Edmond in Manchester. Burial will be in Mount Calvary Cemetory in Manchester,

Memorial donations may be made to Holy Cross Health Center, 357 Island Pond Rd., Manchester 03109.

To view an online memorial, send a message of condolence, or for more information, go to http://web.archive.org/web/20020625195659/http://www.lambertfuneralhome.com/.

Annette E. Mallows
Well known for her doll making

Annette E. Mallows, 84, resident of Burns Hill Road, Wilton, died Feb. 27, 2002, at her home.

She was born in Wilton, on May 27, 1917, the daughter of the late Alphonse and Josephine (Desrosiers) Soucy.

She was a graduate of Wilton High School.

Mrs. Mallows had been a resident of Wilton for the past 45 years, and had resided in Greenfield for many years.

She and her late husband, owned and operated, The Welcome House, a clothing and shoe store in Greenfield for 23 years.

Mrs. Mallows enjoyed knitting, crocheting, sewing, and was well known for her doll making, especially Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, which were shipped all over the world.

She was predeceased by her husband, Allen J. Mallows Sr., who died in 1997.

Family members include two sons and daughters-in-law, Allen J. Jr., and Elaine Mallows of Wilton, and Gary and Valerie Mallows of Long Meadow, Mass.; a daughter and son-in-law, Nancy and Rene Rousseau of Milford; 11 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Funeral services were held March 3 in the Smith & Heald Funeral Home in Milford. Burial followed in Laurel Hill Cemetery, Wilton.

Donations in her memory may be made to Souhegan Home & Hospice Care, 24 North River Road, Milford, NH 03055.

Harry W. Martinson
Worked as a meat cutter for many years

Harry W. Martinson, 78, of Nashua, died Feb. 24, 2002, at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua after a brief illness.

Mr. Martinson was born May 8, 1923, in Roxbury, Mass., son of the late Anna Mae (Wyman) Martinson Nichols and Theodore S. “Ted” Nichols.

He grew up in the Boston area and had lived in Nashua since 1944.

He was the husband of Sandra J. (Nutting) Martinson of Nashua. Mr. Martinson was the widower of his first wife, Germaine (Asselin) Martinson, who died July 8, 1972.

Mr. Martinson worked as a meat cutter for many years, and had been employed at the former Brockelman’s Store on Main Street, Nashua, and then with the former Nashua Beef Co. and later the Amherst Street Market.

He loved music, especially Frank Sinatra. He was also an avid hockey fan and enjoyed investing and following the stock market.

Mr. Martinson was a Navy veteran, having served aboard a fuel tanker in the North Atlantic during World War II.

He was educated in Boston schools.

Mr. Martinson was predeceased by a son, William H. Martinson, who died May 4, 1989.

Besides his wife, survivors include a daughter and son-in-law, Patricia E. and Donald Condon of Wilton; five grandchildren, John W. Martinson of Beverly, Mass., Kimberly A. Brown of Nashua, Laurie Demers of Antrim, Tammy Grenier of Peterborough and Matthew Burgess of Barre, Vt.; nine great-grandchildren; and several nieces, nephews, and cousins.

Calling hours will be held at The Farwell Funeral Home,18 Lock Street, Nashua, today (Wednesday, Feb. 27), from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. His funeral service will be held in the First Baptist Church, 121 Manchester St., Nashua, Thursday morning at 10 a.m. The Rev. Kenneth Downes will officiate. Burial will follow in Edgewood Cemetery. Friends are invited to attend.

Memorial donations may be made to the Boys & Girls Club of Nashua, 47 Grand Avenue, Nashua, NH 03060.

Thomas J. McAndrew
Former supervisor at Raytheon

Thomas J. McAndrew, 60, of Hudson, died unexpectedly Feb. 25, 2002, at Southern New Hampshire Regional Medical Center in Nashua.

Mr. McAndrew was born June 5, 1941, in Lowell, Mass., son of the late Francis and C. Helen (Woods) McAndrew. He lived most of his life in the Belvedere section of Lowell, and also lived in Nashua before moving to Hudson seven years ago.

He was the husband of Patricia A. (Machado) McAndrew, his wife of 37 years.

Mr. McAndrew worked with Raytheon Co. of Bedford, Mass., as a supervisor in the microfiche lab and had also worked as a truck driver for BFI and C & S Trucking Cos. until his illness.

He enjoyed fishing and spending time with his family.

Mr. McAndrew was a communicant of Immaculate Conception Church.

He received his education in Lowell schools.

Mr. McAndrew was predeceased by a brother, Francis McAndrew.

Besides his wife, survivors include two sons and a daughter-in-law, Thomas and Karen McAndrew Jr. of Goffstown and Shaun McAndrew of Nashua; a daughter, Mary McCormack of Wilton; eight grandchildren, T.J., Mike, Joey, Kelly, Kayla, David, Erin and Maria McAndrew; two sisters and brothers-in-law, Colleena and Francis Abreu of Tyngsborough, Mass., and Jane and Art Bousquet of Whiting, Maine; a brother-in-law, James Machado and his wife, Lee, of Merrimack; an aunt and two uncles, Ed and Ann Rooney of North Chelmsford, Mass., and Tom McAndrew of New York; also many nieces and nephews and cousins.

The M.R. Laurin & Sons Funeral Home in Lowell, Mass., is in charge of arrangements.

Morgan McDuffee
Graduate of Pine Hill Waldorf School

Morgan McDuffee, 22, a senior at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, and captain of the Bates lacrosse team, died early on the morning on March 3, 2002. He was fatally stabbed while trying to rescue two younger students from a street fight near his home off campus.

After spending the day with his parents, Lisa Freeman of Peterborough, and Regis McDuffee of Newburyport, Mass. Morgan was celebrating his team’s victory over New England College with his brother Dylan, a sophomore at Assumption College in Worcester, and his fiancee, Suzanna Andrew, a junior at Bates. As they walked home through downtown Lewiston, they saw a fight in progress. Morgan recognized a couple of players and called out to them to go home and be ready for practice in the morning. But the brawl escalated, so he stepped in to stop it. His girlfriend and brother were shocked after Morgan was stabbed with a knife. His last words were to Suzi, “I love you.” Later, she said, “He was everything to me. He was my home?” As the news spread yesterday, friends and family members gathered at home in Peterborough, recalling a boy who was recognized by all who knew him as a remarkable young man of boundless promise and energy. “He died helping,” his mother said. “That’s who Morgan was.”

He was born in Glen Cove, N.Y., on July 6, 1979, the son of Lisa Freeman and Regis McDuffee. He grew up riding ponies and building forts in the woods of Lyndeborough with his brothers and cousins. He attended the Pine Hill Waldorf School in Wilton and first made the sports pages of his local paper at age 8, when he was voted Most Valuable Player of the Goss Park Swim Team —a team made up of 8-14 year olds. It marked the beginning of a celebrated athletic career. After moving to Massachusetts, he graduated from Lexington High School in 1997, where he was captain of the lacrosse and football teams. Winters he spent at Killington Mountain School in Vermont, maintaining top grades while developing as a Junior Olympic champion ski racer.

His step-father recalls that Morgan was so caring and aware of everything he did in his life that he seemed to keep mental notes on every individual. His father said, “He actually wrote notes after every game and every ski race so that he could review what he had done well and what needed work, all in an effort to do better next time. That made him a very coachable athlete.” His coaches and teammates took notice, recognizing in Morgan the qualities of leadership that his family knew so well. To his younger brothers and stepbrothers and their friends Morgan was much more than a varsity athlete—he was the big brother who urged them on in their studies, attended their games, and helped them see how to make decisions for a better future. His fiancee says he talked about his brothers all the time. “He loved Dylan and Brendan so much.”

At Bates, Morgan was captain of the lacrosse team in his junior and senior years, yet was just as proud of his academic accomplishments, especially a hard-earned A on his senior thesis in macro-economics. As news of his death spread, friends from Lexington, Pine Hill, and Bates streamed into the small house in Peterborough, offering and receiving comfort from Morgan’s brothers, parents, and other relatives and friends. “He was my golden boy,” his mother said. “I think God needs him now, and Morgan needed his brother and Suzi to be there with him when his time came. I have to think it was meant to be that way. And I’m glad they were there for him.

“For a day and a night, candles have burned in Morgan’s memory. The house is filling with food and flowers and friends and relatives who are flying in from all comers of the country. The phones ring and plans are made, meals are served and cleared away, tears are shed and occasional laughter bubbles up too, as stories are told and memories are shared. Everyone has a special memory of Morgan, for in some way he managed to help everyone, to touch us all, to somehow make life better. There are no regrets on that score — Morgan lived fully, beautifully, and well. And yet in this house filled with so much love and good memories, there is also the devastation of loss. Morgan had spent last fall in Australia with Suzi. He was looking forward to traveling after graduation, to follow in his uncles’ footsteps in the field of international economics, to marrying Suzi and starting a family. The sense of a promise unfulfilled, of life cut short, is profound.”

“Earlier that night we had made plans to live together and work on Nantucket this summer,” said Dylan. “And now ...”

He is survived by his mother and stepfather, Lisa Freeman and Kirby Porter-Elliott of Peterborough; his father, Regis McDuffee of Newburyport, Mass.; two brothers, Dylan McDuffee and Brendan McDuffee of Peterborough; two step-brothers, Max Porter-Elliot and Ives Porter-Elliot of Peterborough; his maternal grandparents, Jane (Kariam) and William Freeman of Clearwater, Fla.; and aunts, uncle, and cousins.

Calling hours will be held today (Wednesday, March 6), from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m., at the Jellison Funeral Home, 25 Concord Street in Peterborough. The funeral will be held Thursday, March 7, noon, at All Saints Parish, 51 Concord Street in Peterborough. The Rev. Bruce Jacobson and the Rev. Lewis S. Stone will co-officiate.

Memorial gifts in his name may be made to the Morgan MacDuffee Fund, c/o Lexington Waldorf School, 739 Massachusetts Avenue, Lexington, MA 02420.

Frederic J. Poleatewich
Loved camping and gardening

Frederick J. Poleatewich, 70, of Hickory Lane, Bedford, died Feb. 28, 2002.

Born July 26, 1931, in Charlestown, Mass., he was the son of William and Mary (Rahicki) Poleatewich.

He had been a resident of Medford, Mass., for most of his life, moving to Bedford four years ago.

He loved camping and gardening.

Mr. Poleatewich was a house painter for Converse Rubber, with 26 years of service.

Family members include his wife of 47 years, Jean (Barrett) Poleatewich, of Bedford; two daughters, Mrs. Joseph (Cheryl Ann) Hannaford, of Bedford, and Mrs. Frank (Karen) Mastrorilli, of Woburn, Mass.; two granddaughters; a brother, William Poleatewich, of Manchester; four sisters, Anna Diluna, of Lexington, Mass., Pauline Cedrone, of Newton, Mass., Dorothy (Sis) Butler, of Waltham, Mass., and Elizabeth Crowe of Brighton, Mass.; and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated March 4 at Sacred Heart Church.

Memorial donations may be made to the Visiting Nurse Association, Home Hospice, 1850 Elm St., Manchester 03104.

Lorraine C. Pratte
Leaves a brother in Merrimack

Lorraine C. Pratte, 65, of Manchester, died March 1, 2002, at her home following a brief illness.

Born Jan. 27, 1937, in Manchester, she was the daughter of Ernest and Cecile (Proulx) Pratte and had been a lifelong resident of Manchester.

The family includes her parents of Manchester; two brothers, Raymond Pratte of Gilmanton Iron Works and Roger Pratte of Merrimack; two sisters, Rita Stemska of Hampton and Cecile Talbot of New Boston; and several nieces and nephews.

Committal services were March 4 in Mt. Calvary Cemetery Mausoleum Chapel.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, Gail Singer Memorial Building, 360 State Route 101, Suite 501, Bedford, NH 03110; or to the charity of one’s choice.

J.N. Boufford & Sons Home is in charge of arrangements.

Naomi M. Regan
Registered nurse at St. Joseph Hospital for 19 years

Naomi M. (Mueseler) Regan, of Nashua, died Feb. 26, 2002, at the Community Hospice House in Merrimack after a lengthy battle with cancer.

Mrs. Regan was born in Uniontown, Pa., daughter of the late Charles and Dorothy (Maust) Mueseler. She had been a longtime resident of Nashua and had grown up in Uniontown.

She was the widow of Charles A. Regan, a former FBI special agent, who later practiced law with firm of Hamblett and Kerrigan. He died in 1987.

Mrs. Regan was a registered nurse for 19 years at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua. Following her retirement from St. Joseph Hospital, she worked part-time for Home Health & Hospice Care in Nashua.

She enjoyed tennis and was active in church and many community activities. She was the first vice president of the Friends of the Nashua Symphony. She was also a member of the New Hampshire and Massachusetts Association of Nurses, a member of the Parish Nurses of the Parish of the Resurrection and a member of the Retired FBI Agents Association.

She was a communicant of the Parish of the Resurrection in Nashua.

Mrs. Regan graduated from St. John’s High School in Uniontown. She graduated from St. Joseph School of Nursing in Pittsburgh, Pa., and earned her bachelor’s degree in psychology and sociology from New England College in Henniker.

Survivors include a son and daughter-in-law, Charles K. and Anne Regan of Nashua; a daughter and son-in-law, Marianne and Peter Graves of Hollis; four grandchildren, Sean Regan, Megan Regan, Amanda Graves and Charlie Graves; a sister, Charlotte Vail of Nashua; a brother and sister-in-law, Charles W. and Laurenda Mueseler of San Diego; and several nieces and nephews.

The Davis Funeral Home in Nashua is in charge of arrangements.

Luther M. Snider
Technical writer for Compaq Corp.

Luther H. Snider, 57, of Berkley Street, Merrimack, died March 1, 2002, at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, Mass., after a lengthy illness.

Mr. Snider was born in Miami, son of Henry Snider of Monticello, Ky., and the late Faith E. Snider. He was a resident of Merrimack for 26 years, having grown up in Miami and Suffern, N.Y.

He was the husband of Elaine (Mattson) Snider, to whom he had been married for 32 years.

Mr. Snider worked for Digital Equipment Corp., (later Compaq Corp.), in Nashua for 32 years, first as a computer technician then as a senior technical writer.

He was an Army veteran, having served from 1965 to 1967, leaving the service with the rank of specialist 4.

Mr. Snider was a lifelong lover of music, having sung in barbershop quartets and several choral societies, including the Manchester Choral Society and various chorals societies in New Jersey. He sung with the Choir of Gethsemane Lutheran Church for 25 years. He also served terms on the church council and as financial secretary.

Besides his wife and father, survivors include two sons and a daughter-in-law, David L. Snider of Eugene, Ore., and Eric and Ester Snider of Flagstaff, Ariz.; two granddaughters, Willow and Rowan Snider of Flagstaff; a brother, Walther Snider of Florida; and a nephew.

A funeral service was held in Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Manchester on March 6.

Memorial contributions may be made to Gethsemane Lutheran Church, 65 Sagamore St., Manchester, NH 03104.

The George R. Rivet Funeral Home in Merrimack was in charge of the arrangements.

Cecelia E. Stimpson
Communicant of St. Mary’s Church in Billerica, Mass.

Cecelia E. (O’Gorman) Stimpson, 88, of Billerica, Mass., died March 3, 2002, at her home.

Mrs. Stimpson was born in Boston, daughter of the late Arthur and Annie (Murphy) O’Gorman, and had been a resident of Billerica since 1939.

She was the widow of Albert “Barney” Stimpson, who died in 1998.

Mrs. Stimpson had worked in the lunchroom of the Ditson Elementary School in Billerica and was a member of the Billerica Senior Citizens.

She was a longtime communicant of St. Mary’s Church and was a member of the St. Mary’s Sodality, both in Billerica.

She was predeceased by a daughter, Ann Stimpson Marr.

Survivors include three sons and daughters-in-law, Albert J. Jr. and Janice Stimpson of Merrimack, Arthur J. and Elaine Stimpson of Winthrop, Mass., and Andrew J. and Connie Stimpson of Perry, Fla.; 10 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren.

The Sweeney Memorial Funeral Home in Billerica, Mass., is in charge of arrangements.

Dorothy M. Tinley
Longtime New Yorker

Dorothy M. Tinley, 83, of Courtland Drive, Merrimack, died Saturday, March 2, 2002, at the Community Hospice House in Merrimack.

She was born Oct. 14, 1918, in Brooklyn, N.Y., daughter of the late Frederick and Elizabeth (Hahn) Buchner.

She was the wife of Paul Tinley of Merrimack.

Before moving to Merrimack, she was a longtime resident of Rockville Center, N.Y., and had been employed at Lever Bros. in New York.

Besides her husband, survivors include a daughter and son-in-law, Marybeth and Dennis Devane of Wilton, Conn.; three grandchildren, Kaitlin, Connor and Brendan Devane; and a sister, Jean Jennings of New York City.

There are no calling hours. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Memorial contributions may be made to the Community Hospice House, 210 Naticook Road, Merrimack, NH 03054.

The George R. Rivet Funeral Home in Merrimack is in charge of arrangements.

John R. Whittemore
Graduate of Nashua High School

John R. Whittemore, 43, of Nashua, died Feb. 26, 2002, at his home.

Mr. Whittemore was born Dec. 20, 1958, in Nashua, son of Georgianna (Vantine) Whittemore of Port Richie, Fla., and the late Chester L. “Chet” Whittemore. He was a lifelong resident of Nashua, and had resided at Harbor Homes in Nashua for the past few years.

He enjoyed the outdoors, especially during his camping trips with friends from Harbor Homes.

Mr. Whittemore had a real enthusiasm for music and loved to play the guitar. He was also an avid reader and was inquisitive.

He graduated from Nashua High School in 1976, having played on both the football and baseball teams.

Besides his mother, survivors include three brothers and sisters-in-law, Michael and Melodie Whittemore of San Diego, Mark Whittemore and David and Diane Whittemore, all of Merrimack; three sisters and brothers-in-law, Robin and Home Burdick of Kittery, Maine, Kristen and James Kotel of Worcester, Mass., and Laurie and Michael Zibolis of Nashua; two uncles and aunts, Frank and Eleanor Whittemore of Hollis, Mildred Nadeau of Hollis and Donald Vantine of Nashua; and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

A funeral service was held at The Davis Funeral Home, Nashua on March 4. The Rev. James S. Chaloner officiated. Interment will be private.

Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to consider a donation to Harbour Homes Inc., 12 Amherst St., Nashua NH 03064.

The Davis Funeral Home in Nashua was in charge of arrangements.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: