Miscellaneous Randolph County, North Carolina Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Elmer Eggemeyer
Funeral services will be Saturday, January 6, 2001 for 80-year-old Elmer Eggemeyer of Chester, IL who died Tuesday, January 2, 2001 at the All Saints Hospital in St. Louis, MO.
Born March 16, 1920 in New Palestine, IL, the son of Emil and Lillie (Schnoeker) Eggemeyer. He married Alice Taggart on May 31, 1946 in Chester, IL and she survives.
Also surviving is one son, Thomas Eggemeyer of Bozeman, MT. Three sisters, Verna Bodeker and Marlene Decker of Granite City, IL and Ruby Long of Moberly, MO. Two grandchildren and several nieces and nephews also survive.
He was proceded in death by his parents, one sister and one brother.
Friends may call after 5pm Friday, January 5, 2001 at the Schroeder McClure Funeral Chapel in Chester, IL.
Funeral service for Elmer Eggemeyer will be Saturday, January 6, 2001 at 11am at the Schroeder McClure Funeral Chapel in Chester, IL with Rev. Marvin "Bud" Bennett officiating. Burial will be in the New Palestine Cemetery in New Palestine, IL.
Memorials can be made to the New Palestine Methodist Church or to the cemetery.

Henry Eggemeyer
Funeral services will be Thursday, April 19, 2001 for 78-year-old Henry Eggemeyer of Chester, IL who died Monday, April 16, 2001 at Three Springs Lodge Nursing Home in Chester, IL.
Born May 29, 1922 in Walsh, IL, the son of Henry and Rose (Hapke) Eggemeyer. He married Leola Smith on June 29, 1946 in Chester, IL and she preceded him in death.
Survivors include four daughters, Pam Knop and Luanne Korando both of Chester, IL, Cheryl Maue of Willisville, IL and Peggy Robb of Belleville, IL. Two sisters, Viola Runge of Walsh, IL and Anita Walker of East Moline, IL. Eight grandchildren and three great grandchildren also survive.
His parents, wife, two brothers and two sisters preceded him in death.
Friends may call after 4pm Wednesday, April 18, 2001 at the Welge Pechacek Funeral Home in Chester, IL.
Funeral services for Henry Eggemeyer will be Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 11am at Peace Lutheran Church in Chester, IL with Rev. Edwin Reuter and Rev. Kathryn Bielfeldt officiating. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery in Chester, IL.
Memorials can be made to Peace Lutheran Church or to the Diabetes Association.

Evelyn Eggemeyer
A Memorial service will be held at a later date for 87-year-old Evelyn Eggemeyer of Chester, IL who died Saturday, October 20, 2001 at Three Springs Lodge in Chester, IL.
Born November 26, 1913 in Chester, IL, the daughter of Frederick and Christina (Meyer) Welge. She married Gilbert Eggemeyer on November 8, 1930 in Chester, IL and he preceded her in death.
Survivors include one son, Clifford Eggemeyer of El Paso, TX. Five grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren also survive.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, daughter in law, one brother and four sisters.
Friends may call after 5pm Tuesday, October 23, 2001 at the Welge Pechacek Funeral Home in Chester, IL.
Mrs. Eggemeyer’s remains will be cremated after her visitation. A memorial service will be held at a later date.
Memorials can be made to the Chester Senior Center or to Peace Lutheran Church in Chester, IL.

Dr. Luther Jay Earwood
Dr. Luther Jay Earwood, who died Thursday at age 76, will be buried this afternoon in Randolph Memorial Park, leaving behind a legacy of kindness and caring for all God's creatures, human and animal.
These words by an unknown essayist were especially meaningful to Dr. Earwood and hung in his office throughout his career: 
"Neither layman nor lawmaker - neither clinic nor council can take his place.
"He who can, with gentle hands and soothing words, calm the fears of a stricken animal has a gift reserved for few. He who can diagnose the sickness of a creature that cannot speak - one that cannot, either by sign or gesture, give any indication of the seat of fatal illness - is one endowed with knowledge, sympathy and understanding far beyond that attained by ordinary men. He who can, with the aid of medical science, brighten the eyes, stay the fever, energize the pulse, and build resistance against disease in an animal, has reached the goal only a favored few can attain.
"And what is his reward? The knowledge that he has lived a life of true usefulness in helping creatures that cannot help themselves."
Dr. Earwood's wife of 51 years, JoAnn, said those words sum up his gift of healing.
"He was so dedicated to his work," she said. Mrs. Earwood worked by her husband's side as his assistant for 27 years. "For 18 years, we didn't take a vacation or a holiday. He had no regrets because he enjoyed his work more than anything else."
His experiences were varied, she recalls. "He treated large farm animals as well as small companion pets. His clients included everything from birds to boa constrictors."
Dr. Earwood's clients came, not only from Randolph County, but from the surrounding counties. In the early years, Montgomery County did not have a veterinarian at all, so he had many clients from there, Mrs. Earwood recalled.
When they retired to the cattle farm 10 years ago, Dr. Earwood turned his attention to raising Charlois cattle, growing and mixing his own feed to insure a consistent diet for his cows.
"He was such a reserved person, but a man of strong principles who did not hesitate to take a stand for what he believed was right," Mrs. Earwood said. She looks back at his experiences in World War II and the way he lived his life as evidence that "God has really been watching over him."
When the Earwoods built their house, Dr. Earwood had a woodworking shop included. He also enjoyed gardening - vegetables and flowers. 
Just a week ago, Mrs. Earwood said, they were making plans to build a hot house for tender plants.
Dr. Earwood earned his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from the University of Georgia and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from North Carolina State University.
He was a native of Fairview in Buncombe County, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, and a member of First United Methodist Church.
(Published October 5, 1997)

J.W. "Willie" Plummer
J.W. "Willie" Plummer's friends remember him as an "independent soul" and a "self-made man."
The 79-year-old Plummer, a former Randolph County Commissioner and longtime Randolph Community College Board of Trustees chairman, died this morning at his Asheboro home following a long illness.
Plummer, a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II and former Seabee, was a building contractor. He also served on the Asheboro City School Board and the Selective Service Draft Board.
RCC President Larry Linker said he had known Plummer since 1963, when Plummer joined the school's board of trustees.
"He was a strong supporter of the college and a personal friend as well," Linker said. "He had a good feel for what the role of the trustees was and he will be missed."
Linker said Plummer's contribution to the college was so great that the school's Vocational Technology Building was named for him in the 1980s.
"His portrait hangs in the foyer with a plaque. I talked to him about three weeks ago and he reminisced with me about the college."
Linker's secretary Wanda Brown added that Plummer also donated books for the school's library in memory of well known people in the community. He gave the library 84 books between 1981 and 1997, she said.
Richard Pugh, former Randolph County Commission chairman, agreed that Plummer did a lot of good for the local community.
"He was probably as dedicated to doing something for Randolph County as anyone I've ever known," Pugh said. "He did a lot of things for people that nobody knows about."
Pugh described Plummer as candid and down-to-earth.
"He was a character. He always told you exactly how he felt." 
Randolph County Arts Guild Director Phil Shore and longtime Asheboro news broadcaster Add Penfield remember Plummer as an essential part of the "Good Ol' Boys Club."
The club, which still meets each morning at the arts guild, was organized by former Asheboro mayor and prominent Democrat Clyde Lucas.
Plummer was a staunch Republican. 
"There was a great exchange of love and a great deal of opposition to one another in that club," Shore said. "Everybody's opinion was heard whether it was met with boos or cheers. This was a group of people who loved to solve the problems of the world."
"The Good Ol' Boys Club brought together people of all different political persuasions and beliefs," Penfield said. "Willie was the spark of that group. He was an independent soul and a self-made man. I had a great deal of respect and deep affection for him."
Penfield said Plummer was a lovable eccentric who enjoyed fine cars and public displays.
"Willie had a car one time with this loud horn that went da da da dum. It was really something."
Plummer recently drove around town in a Porsche 928 with a license plate calling for "MORE-FUN."
Penfield also recalled when Plummer decided to make a point about modern art.
"He took an eave off one of his houses, rolled it up and put it out front of his office with a sign that said 'Art by Willie Plummer.' We'll all miss him."
(Published October 31, 1997)

Bobby Martin
TROY - The West Montgomery High School community is stunned following the sudden death of head basketball coach Bobby Martin Tuesday night after a varsity game at the school.
According to principal Art Paschal, Martin, 41, was coaching in the closing seconds of Tuesday night's game and mentioned feeling faint to an assistant coach before collapsing at the gymnasium. Medical assistance was summoned immediately and Martin was transported to Montgomery Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
"It's just a difficult time," said Paschal. "Bobby was much more than a coach to me. We've been friends for years. I've lost more than just a coach, I've lost my best friend."
Paschal and Martin played basketball together at UNC-Wilmington before reuniting at West Montgomery High School.
Paschal said Martin's loss was not only a shock to the school system, but a shock to coaching. "His respect transcended race, gender - anything. This is just a tremendous loss.
"Everybody liked Bobby. He always put people before himself."
Officials have set up a crisis counseling area at the school for students. Paschal said a steady stream of students and players were talking to counselors this morning.
According to Barry Wright, training officer for First Health at Montgomery EMS, the dispatch call came in just after 9 p.m. Martin was given IV medication and defibrillated at the scene before being transported, according to an EMS report.
Martin's death sent ripples throughout Montgomery County and the surrounding area. Martin's twin brother, Billy, is head basketball coach at cross-county rival East Montgomery.
Eastern Randolph coach Danny Roberts said he was shocked by the news and spoke fondly of Martin.
"Bobby and I go back a long way," he said. "It's just a really devastating thing. I coached against him when he played at West and at Wilmington. There's just tremendous admiration for Bobby and I feel so sorry for his family. This is a terrible loss, not just to coaching but the community."
All games this week have been postponed and the decision to continue the season will depend on the players.
"We'll seek input (from the players) as to what they want to do," Paschal said.
He added he believes an assistant will take the reins should the season continue, but, in the wake of the tragedy, no decisions have yet been discussed. 
Martin, coach of more than 10 years at West Montgomery, and his wife Sondra have two children. Daughter Kim is a student at West Montgomery and son Adrian is in the eighth grade.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete at press time.
(Published December 3, 1997)

Lee J. Stone
Legendary Asheboro High School football coach and educator Lee J. Stone died early this morning at Clapp's Convalescent Nursing Home. He was 91.
"His life speaks for itself. Everybody knew and loved Lee Stone," said long-time friend Charles T. Robbins. "He put Asheboro on the map as far as high school sports are concerned. Not only that, he did so many things quietly that not many people knew about. He was thoughtful, a good friend. Lee was quite a guy."
Stone came to Asheboro in 1949. When he retired in 1965, he had never had a losing season and led Asheboro High School to its only N.C. State AAA Championship in 1958. 
In 1977, Stone was inducted into the N.C. Sports Hall of Fame with four championships to his credit, one at Broughton High School in Raleigh and three in Asheboro.
The essence of Lee J. Stone was put in perspective this morning by Asheboro resident Lee C. Phoenix, who was principal at Asheboro High School (1957-63) during the height of Stone's coaching days and later superintendent of schools (1973-83) while Stone served as a school board member and board chairman.
Phoenix said Stone saw football as more than just a game. It was a way to prepare young people for the game of life.
"Lee saw sports as a means of turning boys into men who could function and do well in society," Phoenix said. "He said it was a good learning experience for life."
Although Stone preached the benefits of teamwork - both as a means of winning ball games and being a winner in life - he also "saw each of his players as an individual and each one of them was personal to him."
Stone, known simply as "Coach," did not limit his caring to his ball players, Phoenix said. That concern extended to all the school's students and to "every young person in this town."
Phoenix said that when he returned to Asheboro in 1973 as school superintendent, Stone was then on the school board, having retired from coaching. But Stone's interest in the young had in no way been dulled.
"He brought that same concern for youth to his role on the school board," Phoenix said. "He understood that our community's progress and ability to go forward depended on the education of our young people."
Asheboro resident, Benny Voncannon, who is in the trucking business here and who played football for Stone in the 1950s, said that, "if you were a player, you had two fathers - your own and Coach Stone. He was a great motivator, but also a kind, loving man who made you do what you should do."
Darrell Moody, who played at Asheboro High for Stone in the mid-1960s and who is now a football coach at N.C. State University, said Stone's influence has never left him.
"When I played high school ball, it was at a time when the parents just basically turned the kids over to the coaches. And Coach Stone taught discipline. And he had class. And he taught his players to do things with class, which, I'm sure, served them well throughout their lives.
"There was a right way and a wrong way to do things - and he taught the right way."
In 1987, Stone was inducted into the N.C. High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame. Sports announcer Add Penfield, with whom Stone had announced many games, wrote to the committee:
"While he did all these things on the athletic field, simultaneously he served as the dedicated educator who carried a full classroom teaching load and, in his day, probably performed the work of half-a-dozen modern day guidance counselors. Lee Stone influenced the lives of countless students, not the least of whom were the athletes he coached. Some of his brightest stars on the football field have become luminaries in a variety of business and professional fields."
Stone coached such players as Bobo Carter, Fred Lytle, "Biscuit" Coman, Ron Hampton, Joe Wright and fellow N.C. Sports Hall of Famer Charlie "Choo-Choo" Justice.
A native of Pennsylvania, Stone was a graduate of Lebanon Valley College with a degree in Economics and earned his master's degree in Business Administration from Columbia University.
His 31-year teaching and coaching career included Appalachian State University, Trenton State Teachers College, Lee Edwards High School in Asheville, Broughton High School in Raleigh and Asheboro High School. Even after retirement, he didn't miss an AHS football game for over 43 years. The school's football field was dedicated to and named for him.
(Published January 27, 1998)

James Randolph Lane
James Randolph Lane, a charter member of Greystone Baptist Church and a former member of the Asheboro City Board of Education, died Monday at Asheboro Health & Rehabilitation. He was 81.
Lane, whose health had declined over the past few years, left behind a legacy of service to his church and his community.
Charles Beane of Asheboro knew Lane since the early 1950s, primarily through the Baptist church.
"He was one of those people who did a lot without caring about getting any credit for it," Beane recalled. "He'd see things around church and he'd do them just because they needed to be done. He'd always be there, mowing the lawn or whatever. He held about all the offices you could hold at church. Any committee that came up and they needed someone willing to serve, that'd be James."
Lane worked as general manager of the Barnes-Griffin Clinic in Asheboro and later as business manager for Moses Cone Memorial Hospital in Greensboro. Through the years, he served as deacon, Sunday School superintendent and Sunday School teacher at his church. He was a member of the N.C. Baptist Convention's general board and served as treasurer of the Randolph Baptist Association.
"After James retired and he had more time, he volunteered with the Department of Social Services and drove people to doctors in Chapel Hill or wherever," Beane said. "He didn't take any pay except for gas mileage."
Lane was named Randolph County Volunteer of the Year in 1989 for his work with DSS. He was also a charter member and first president of the Asheboro Lions Club and was named a Melvin Jones Fellow by Lions Clubs International. He served on the school board from 1947-63.
"He was very interested in education," Beane said. "Someone told me he would have liked to have been a doctor. He didn't get to go to college to study medicine, but his oldest son did. I'm sure he was glad of that."
(Published Oct. 28, 1998)