Miscellaneous Valley County, Montana Obituaries


Ruben Fuhrmann, 81, died Thursday, May 25, 2000, of severe complications of diabetes in Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow.
He was born Oct. 22, 1918, in Baylor to P.H. and Elizabeth Fauth Fuhrmann. At age 18 he joined the U.S. Marine Corps and served four years in Shangai, China. He served with the 3rd Marine Division in the South Pacific during World War II.
He was wounded twice, once in Bougainville and in Iwo Jima where he was honored with the two Purple Hearts. He served in the consolidation of the Northern Solomon Islands, Guam, Marianas Islands and Volcano Islands.
He worked on construction for several years. He was a life member of the V.F.W. and a life member of the Elks Club and a member of the American Legion. In February 1948 he married Allie Squires and they were later divorced. From that union a son, Ronald, was born.
He is survived by a son, Ronald, and his wife, Peggy, of Deer Lodge; three grandchildren, Rebecca of Minneapolis, Minn., Jamie of Maplewood, N.J., and Cody of Deer Lodge; a brother, Jim Fuhrmann of Ronan; and sisters Leaha Walker of Glasgow, Lydia Berrier of Seattle, Wash., Ruth Fredrickson of Polson and Hulda Tade of Great Falls.
He was preceded in death by four brothers, Sam, Dan, Dave and Abraham, and two sisters, Martha Yaeger and Esther Fuhrmann.
The funeral service was Tuesday, May 30, at 11 a.m. in Bell Chapel with Herb Sands officiating. Burial was in Highland Cemetery in Glasgow. Bell Mortuary was in charge of arrangements.
Military Riteswere provided Tuesday, May 30, for Ruben Fuhrmann at the Glasgow High- land Cemetery. Ruben was a life member of VFW Post 3107 and the American Legion Post #41. Kenny Newton presented the folded American flag to Ruben's son, Ron.
The American flag was posted by George Kolstad. Don Ashpole posted the Legion Post flag and John Hoyt posted the VFW Post 3107 flag.
Honor Guards under the command of Phil Mitchell were Emil Kravik, Jack Nelson, O.E. Markle, Manson Bailey Jr., Wallace Nelson, Mitch Etchart and Bob Elfring.
The VFW Firing Squad under the command of Jack Hays were Art Widhalm, Bill Bell, Duane Barrett, Vince Orme and Les Poland. Dual taps were done by Leonard Swenson and Colleen Thompson. 

Gilbert Scheffelmaer, 82, a lifelong resident of Montana, died of natural causes Thursday, May 25, 2000, at the Phillips County Hospital.
He was born March 17, 1918, in Valley Town, north of Saco, to Gottfried and Wilhelmia Albrecht Scheffelmaer and grew up in that area. He married Dorothy Olesen on July 12, 1960, and they lived several years in Saco and Malta.
He was a trucker and part owner of the GEM Theatre in Saco and a retired farmer who enjoyed woodworking and listening to country and western music.
Survivors include his wife Dorothy of Malta; stepdaughters Ada L. Minge of San Antonio, Texas, and Elaine E. Gilman of Billings; stepson Jens R. Olesen of Billings; brother Otto Scheffelmaer of Dodson; sisters Martha Squires of Malta and Thelma Saunders of Missoula; 10 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren; and 19 nephews and nieces.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, May 30, at 2 p.m. at the Adams Memorial Chapel followed by burial in the Malta Cemetery.
Memorials are suggested to the Cancer Research Fund. 

Bernard "Ben" Ophus, 78, died Monday, May 22, 2000, of natural causes on his farm in Hinsdale.
He was born to Anton and Pearl Sluggett Ophus in Big Sandy on May 2, 1922, the fifth of 14 children. He quit high school at age 16 and went to the Civilian Conservation Corps stationed at West Glacier. When he came home he went back to school for a while, but found carpentering, mechanicing and bus driving more interesting. He bought 80 acres and three cows but didn't really become a farmer then.
He was drafted in July 1942. He did a lot of moving around the U.S. He was assigned to several eastern states where he was taught topography, making maps for the Air Force showing where to bomb.
When in Tennessee, they were moved to a new camp-cow pasture. There they built floors for tents. He said the lumber was so green that he thought if they watered it, it would grow. They were guarding prisoners of war there. In December 1942 he earned a Rifle Marksman pin and certificate. He was sent to England to do map work, but said he'd rather be in the middle of fighting than be in England dodging buzz bombs. He transferred to the infantry and went to France and Germany. There were seven Ophus brothers in Uncle Sam's service. In October 1945 he had a choice - to come home or stay in the army for $60 a month and board and room. He and his brother Helmer came home from the service and with Helmer's wife, Fern, they bought the town of Thoeny. They liked the country and people. Later they moved to Hinsdale and that became home.
He is survived by four brothers, Lyle of Big Sandy, Lester of Havre, Vernon of Denver, Colo., and Laurence of Big Sandy; four sisters, Evelin LaBuda of Big Sandy, Ruth Pegar of Big Sandy, Jeanine Liquin of Great Falls and Loretta Murphy of Reno, Nev.; and many nieces and nephews. He is also survived by his adopted family: Donna Christensen, her son Chris, his wife Carol and their three children, her daughters Cheryl, Valerie, Pam, Renae and their families; and the Lloyd Jones family.
He was preceded in death by his parents, brothers Alfred, Myron, Helmer and Byron, and a sister, Gertrude. Funeral services will be held on Friday, May 26, at 1 p.m. in the Hinsdale Legion Hall, with Rev. Evert Gustafson officiating. Burial will follow in Hillview Cemetery in Hinsdale.
The pallbearers will be Mike Jones, Corby Palm, Chris Christensen, Hal Ophus, Chad Nelson, Dusty Jones, Pete Mogan, Macy Klind and Roy Jones. The honorary pallbearers are Dennis Boucher, Lloyd Jones, Joe Stuber, Lester Johnson, John Mogan, Esmond Vanderhoef, Johnny Arnold, Jim McColly, Owen Funk and Frank "Bud" Jones.
Bell Mortuary is in charge of arrangements. 

Myrtle M. Omvig, 70, died May 17, 2000, of cancer in Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow.
She was born Dec. 8, 1929, in Opheim to Theodore and Hazel Crowl Miller. She was raised in Opheim. After graduating from high school she worked as a waitress in Opheim, where she met LeRoy Omvig. After two years they married and lived in Glasgow.
She was a housewife and mother, raising her five children in Glasgow. She worked in the lab at the Glasgow Clinic, for John Deere, then in the Clerk and Recorder's Office in the Valley County Court House, retiring in 1997. She headed the Valley County Combined Campaign Fund and worked with the Heart Association. She was very active in the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints. She enjoyed spending time with family and friends.
She is survived by a son, Douglas, and his wife, Shirley, of Glasgow; three daughters, Charla May Hoiness and her husband, Ken, of Laurel, Patti Jean Hines and her husband, Mike, of Yorba Linda, Calif., Leah Marie Arneson and her husband, John, of Glasgow; seven grandchildren; two sisters, Laura House Vernon of Bellevue, Wash., and Bunny Daggett of Glasgow; and a brother, Ted Miller of Opheim.
She was preceded in death by a daughter, Lori Ann, in 1959; a sister, Valerie Morris of Iowa, in 1997; two grandchildren, Jason Hoiness in 1995 and Jeffrey Jurgens in 1998.
Funeral services were held on Saturday, May 20, at 2 p.m. in the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints, with Ted Morris officiating. Burial was in Highland Cemetery in Glasgow.
Pallbearers were Mike Daggett, Curt Brayko, Sandy Arvin, Tim Miller, Tony Miller and J.D. Omvig. Bell Mortuary was in charge of arrangements. 

John A. Brooks, 86, of Lewistown died Sunday, May 14, 2000, of natural causes at the Central Montana Medical Center.
He was born Aug. 27, 1913, in Lewistown, the son of Henry and Effie O'Brien Brooks. They lived on the Brooks River Ranch in the Salt Creek area and he attended Balky Horse School and Fergus High School. After his father's death he operated the ranch and played in a band with his mother and brother.
On Dec. 10, 1938 he married Claudia Jackson in Lewistown. They continued to operate the ranch until they retired in 1975 and moved into Lewistown. He again played saxophone and fiddle in a band, the Old Duffers, for several years. He loved spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren. He enjoyed music, gardening, fishing and hunting.
He is survived by his wife, Claudia of Lewistown; son Jack and his wife, Rita, of Glasgow; daughter Barbara Phillips and her husband, Charlie, of Lewistown; seven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. His parents, one brother and two sisters preceded him in death.
Funeral services were Thursday, May 18, at 2 p.m. in the Cloyd Chapel, followed by interment in the Lewistown City Cemetery. The Cloyd Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. Friends may make memorials to the Salvation Army or the charity of their choice 

Doneta Jean Davenport, 38, died Wednesday, May 10, 2000, following a long period of ill health, at Nemont Manor in Glasgow. 
She was born Oct. 8, 1961 in Glasgow, the daughter of Don and Myrtle (Westby) Davenport. She graduated from Opheim High School and attended school at the College of Great Falls and at Northern Montana College. Later she attended Carroll College. She worked for the Forest Service, then the State of Montana, retiring from state service in 1998 because of her health.
She lived in Glasgow the past two years, the last year at Nemont Manor. She was crazy about computers, baking and had been very active in 4-H. She went to Washington, D.C., for the 4-H kids. She loved music and played the piano and sang.
She is survived by her parents in Opheim; two brothers, David Davenport of Forsyth and Jerry Davenport of Davies, Fla.; two nieces, Christie and Mandy Davenport; one nephew, Wesley Davenport; and numerous aunts and uncles.
Funeral services were held on Saturday, May 13, at First Lutheran Church in Opheim, with Rev. Mark Koonz officiating. Burial was in Lawndale Cemetery in Opheim. The pallbearers were Jeff Roberton, Jeff Larson, Vince Traeger, Todd Westby, Buster Stuber, Duane Stellflug and Ken Floyd. Bell Mortuary was in charge of arrangements. 

May Tihista, 95, died Friday, May 5, 2000, of natural causes in Valley View Home in Glasgow. 
She was born Dec. 13, 1904, in Banca, France, the youngest of the six children of John and Gracianne Sallaberry. Even though she was the baby of the family, life was not easy for her in pre-World War I Europe, especially in the Basque lands.
She was educated by nuns at the local Catholic school and taught how to do beautiful handwork, but she had to leave school in the fifth grade at the beginning of the "Great War." She lost two of her brothers in that war. Her sister died of diphtheria when she was 18 and one of her brothers died as a child.
She met Peter Tihista in 1925, and married him April 29, 1926. The came to Ellis Island on a ship in 1926 and traveled by train from New York City, arriving in Glasgow in the spring. Peter had homesteaded on Fifth Point at the mouth of Gilbert Creek. Their ranch house was a log cabin of two rooms and a screened porch.
In 1936 the Tihistas had to abandon their farm to make way for the Fort Peck Dam. They lived in Nashua for two years, then bought a small farm west of Glasgow on the Tampico Road where they raised grain and hay as well as horses, chickens, turkeys and a milk cow. They moved into Glasgow in 1943, to 618 3rd Ave. N. Peter died in 1950 and the next year she went to work for Jack and Fern Shepherd's Glasgow Flower Shop. She work there for many years, then worked in L.J. Baker's jewelry store.
After her retirement, she returned to visit the Basque Pyrenees for the first time in 29 years. Her nieces and nephews were still living on her parents' farm, named Zubigain, near Banca. She loved it so much, she made four more trips to her other homeland to introduce the Basque land to her children and grandchildren. In 1952 she brought her nephew John Sallaberry from Banca. He went to work with Peter and Fred Itciana at the Matador Ranch. She enjoyed knitting crocheting and sewing.
She is survived by two sons, Mitchell of Sidney and Ronald of Great Falls; one daughter, Helen Marks of Glasgow and Los Angeles; a nephew, John Sallaberry of Malta; 12 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews in the old country.
A vigil service was held Monday, May 8 at 7 p.m. at St. Raphael's Catholic Church in Glasgow. The funeral was Tuesday, may 9, at 10 a.m. in St. Raphael's Church with Rev. Thad Kozikowski officiating. Burial was in Highland Cemetery in Glasgow.
The pallbearers were Gene Etchart, Pete Granada, Mitch Bengochea, Kenneth Newton, Paul Tihista and Jed Tihista. The ushers were Jon Bengochea and John Egosque. Bell Mortuary was in charge of arrangements. 

Robert Cuniff, 77, a former resident of Valley County, died on Satuday, April 29, 2000. 
Born on April 6, 1923, in Opheim, he grew up with his parents, David and Rembie Cuniff, and brothers David, Dick, Jack, and Rex, and his sister, Margie Harvey. He graduated from Glasgow High School in 1941.
His children were raised with fond and humorous remembrances of the Cuniff family growing up in Montana.
He is survived by his wife, Mary; a sister, Margie Harvey; two daughters, Kristine Bradley and her husband, Randy, and Diane Cuniff; a son, Steven Cuniff and his wife, Sharon; and grandchildren Allison Bradley-Bradac and Scott Bradley.
Funeral services were held on Sunday, May 7, at 3 p.m. at Pacific View Memorial Park in Newport Beach, California.
The family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to the Glasgow Educational Trust Fund in care of Lois Markle, 742 7th Ave. N, Glasgow, MT 59230. 

Rose Mae Mathison, 84, died Monday, May 1, 2000, of natural causes in Pondera Medical Center.
She was born July 16, 1915 in Tryon, Neb., the daughter of Henry and Jessica Anthony Lowery. She grew up in Nebraska and at age eight she moved with her family to Buffalo, Wyo., and then to Decker, Mont. She lived in Dutton, Mont., for 18 years, from 1938 to 1956. She lived in various towns in Montana, including Helena and Glasgow, and settled in Dupuyer in 1992. She worked at Glasgow Air Force Base as a maintenance person. She was a security guard on the pipeline on base. She also worked at the Johnnie Cafe.
In October 1938 she married Robert Donohue in Billings. They were later divorced. She married Louis Walstad in September 1940 at Three Forks, and was divorced in 1956. In 1972 she married Adolph Mathison in Choteau. He died in 1973. She enjoyed flower gardening, crafts, crocheting and her dogs.
She is survived by two daughters, Helen Stearley of Grand Island, Neb. and Marie Thomas of Dupuyer; a sister, Daisy Edgemen of Norman, Okla.; a brother, Joe Curry, also of Norman; seven grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by a daughter, Nancy, in 1943; a baby boy in 1944; a son, Lonnie Walstad, in 1950, and a granddaughter.
A Funeral service was held on Thursday, May 4, at Dupuyer Community Hall, with burial at Dutton Cemetery. Croxford and Sons Funeral Home in Great Falls was in charge of arrangements. 

Richard C. "Dick" Fisher, 58, died Wednesday, April 26, 2000, at his home in Billings.
The son of Charles and LaVida Rau Fisher, he was born in McLaughlin, S.D., on Aug. 25, 1941. He attended McLaughlin public schools, where he graduated in 1959. He received a general business education from the Aberdeen School of Business in Aberdeen, S.D. He went on to become business manager of U.S. Steel in Shelby, business manager of Hatch Motor Co. of Shelby, manager of Hovey & Stone Chevrolet in Wolf Point, owner and manager of KVCK Radio in Wolf Point, owner and manager of Dick Fisher Motors in Glasgow, owner and manager of Hertz Rent-A-Car in Glasgow, manager of Wolf Point Ready Mix, Oilfield Construction Division, in Wolf Point, owner and manager of Hotco, Inc., co-owner and manager of J-D Auto, wholesale and retail used car business in Wolf Point, owner of Car & Truck, Inc., in Billings, and fleet and lease sales manager at Auto Auction of Billings.
He was a member of Atonement Lutheran Church in Billings. He served as director of the Independent Auto Dealers Association, and was a member of the B.P.O.E. Lodge in Glasgow. He was a member of Ducks Unlimited and was a volunteer for the Governor's Cup Walleye Fishing Tournament. He loved hunting, camping, fishing, boating, water skiing and gardening. He will be remembered for his sensitivity to the needs of others and his generosity to his family and friends.
He was preceded in death by his father in 1999. Survivors include his wife, Celia of Billings; his mother, LaVida of Rapid City, S.D.; his two children, Stephanie Fisher of Billings and Brad Fisher and his wife, Janet, of Helena; his three stepchildren, Kathryn Sorum, Laura Sorum and Kristina Sorum, all of Billings; his brothers, Kenneth Fisher and his wife, Linda, of Fort Collins, Colo., and Barry Fisher and his wife, Donna, of Pine Mountain, Ga.; his sister, Peggy Thompson and her husband, Jim, of Appleton, Minn. and four grandchildren, Chelsea, Brianna, Emily and Harrison Fisher, all of Helena.
Visitation was held on Friday, April 28, at Michelotti, Sawyers & Nordquist. Funeral services were held on Saturday, April 29, at Atonement Lutheran Church in Billings, followed by cremation.
Memorials may be directed to AFLAC Cancer Center, attn. Sarah Batts, 1680 Tullie Circle N.E., Atlanta, GA 30322, in memory of Richard C. Fisher, father of Brad Fisher, S.S.C. MT/WY. 

Perry N. "Red" Svingen, 80, died on Saturday, April 22, 2000, at the Utah State Veterans' Home in Salt Lake City, Utah.
He was born November 18, 1919, to Edward and Inger Svingen in Frazer, Mont. After graduating from high school in Glasgow in 1938, he joined the Army and proudly served his country during WWII in the South Pacific where he was a lieutenant in the 163rd Infantry Regiment of the 41st Division stationed in Australia, New Guinea and the Philippines. In 1940 he married Nita Wood, also of Glasgow. When WWII ended, they made their home in Great Falls where they lived for over twenty years. They were later divorced.
In the late 1940s, after attending the College of Great Falls, he joined the Air National Guard and was a career officer stationed at Gore Field in Great Falls until his retirement as a lieutenant colonel in 1967. He married Edith Quick in 1967. They lived in Lincoln, Billings and Helena until moving to Sequim and Bellingham, Wash. where they enjoyed retirement until Edith's death in 1991. In 1991 he returned to Montana, settling in the Missoula Manor Retirement Home where he had many friends. For the past two years he had lived in Salt Lake City.
In addition to his second wife, Edie, he was preceded in death by his parents, his sister, Judy, and two brothers, Al and Lorenzo. Perry is survived by his former wife, Nita, and their three daughters, Janet Adair and her husband, Paul, of Northport, N.Y., Joyce Lewis and her husband, Bill, of Missoula, and Judy Cosgrove and her husband, Butch, of Salt Lake City.
Survivors also include five grandchildren, Peri Roeme, Paul Adair, Danielle Lewis and Matt and Amber Cosgrove; three great-grandchildren, Cassie, Patrick and Victoria; his brother Bob and family of Glasgow; a sister-in-law, Phyllis of Helena; several nieces and nephews and their families; four stepchildren, Priscilla Robinson and her son, Douglas, of Helena, Terry Quick and his family of Lynnwood, Wash., and Bob and Gordon Quick.
A celebration of his life will be held this summer at the Missoula Manor. Memorials may be sent to the Missoula Manor Endowment Fund, 909 West Central, Missoula, MT, or to the charity of the donor's choice.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: