Miscellaneous McCone County, Montana Obituaries


LaVera Unger
LaVera V. Unger, 51, formerly of Wolf Point, died May 21 [1997]  at St. Vincent Hospital in Billings of an asthma attack. She was born Dec. 5, 1945 in Wolf Point, the daughter of Abram and Anna Unger. She grew up north of Wolf Point in the Lustre community, attended school there and at Wolf Point High School. In 1963, she moved to Wolf Point where she worked at various jobs and especially enjoyed nursing at Trinity Hospital and private nursing. She moved to Billings in the mid-1980's.
She is survived by three brothers, Edwin and Larry Unger of Wolf Point, and Vern Unger of Chatsworth, Calif.; and one sister, Rose Friesen of Frazer. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Friday at the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church in Lustre, the Rev. John Skillman of Lustre officiating. Burial will be in the Bethel Lustre Church Cemetery.

Ollie Taylor
Ollie Dethman Taylor, 80, formerly of Wolf Point, died May 12 [1997]  at her home in Elma, Wash. A family service will be held in Elma and funeral services will be 2 p.m. Saturday at the First Lutheran Church in Wolf Point with the Rev. Tim Whiteman officating. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery. Visitations will be held from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday at Clayton Memorial Chapel in Wolf Point. 

Joyce Waldhausen
Joyce Nadine Waldhausen, 58, formerly of Culbertson and Wolf Point, died May 8 [1997]  at the Bozeman Care Center after a courageous battle with cancer. She was born April 10, 1939 in Culbertson, a daughter of Neville and Frieda Bemer. She grew and attended schools there, graduating from Culbertson High School. She attended Eastern Montana College for a year.
She married Lynn Waldhausen Aug. 21, 1959 in Wolf Point and they made their home in Culbertson for eight years before moving to a farm near Kindred, N.D. where they remained for four years. They then lived in Bainville for seven years before moving to Wolf Point. Her husband died in 1987.The next year, Mrs. Waldhausen moved to Bozeman and was employed by the Farmers Home Administration until she retired in 1996. She enjoyed crafts, crocheting, gardening, cooking, trap shooting and especially traveling.
She is survived by two daughters, Debra Byfuglin of Williston, N.D. and Dianna Kegel of Livingston; one sister, Gladys Mock of Billings; a half-brother, Howard Bemer and a half-sister, Julie Bemer, both of Brockton; and a granddaughter, Katie Byfuglin of Williston. Services were held May 10 at the Dokken-Nelson Sunset Chapel in Bozeman. Graveside services were Monday at Hillside Cemetery in Culbertson, the Rev. Alvin Beyer officiating. Everson-Clayton Memorial Chapel was in charge of local arrangements.

Valorie Eggebrecht
Valorie L. Eggebrecht, 35, of Superior, Wisc., died at St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth, Minn. May 2 [1997]  as a result of a one-car accident near Duluth. She was born March 6, 1962 in Grantsburg, Wisc. She attended Lakewood Community College and received her degree in psychology from the University of Wisconsin with a minor in art. She loved art, animals and people. She was a member of the Superior Curling Club. She married Joel Eggebrecht May 20, 1995 in Superior and they made their home in that city.
She is survived by her husband of 8091 So. Island, View Rd., Superior, WI 54880; a daughter, Jessalynn Prior of the family home; a son of Grantsburg; a stepdaughter, Leah Eggebrecht of Duluth; her parents, David and LaVera Erickson of Grantsburg; two brothers, Peter Erickson of Fond du Lac, Wisc. and Paul Erickson of Siren, Wisc.; and grandparents, Vera Remley of Luck, Wisc. and Eskiel Erickson of Grantsburg.
Funeral services were May 6 at Downs Funeral Home in Superior. Burial was in Greenwood Cemetery in Superior.

Ricky Alfred Desjarlais, Sr. 
Ricky Alfred Desjarlais, Sr., 53, formerly of Wolf Point, died Friday, June 4 [1999], at Bemidji, Minn. 
He was born May 9, 1946 in Grand Rapids, Minn. to Rosanne and James Desjarlais. 
At the age of six, he sent to St. Joseph Boarding School in South Dakota, where he attended in school, returning to Wolf Point, where he worked on local ranches to support his mother. 
In 1965, he married Deborah Wetsit. They had three children, Ricky Jr., Michelle, and Cherie. Shortly after they were married, they moved to Los Angeles, Calif. on a government relocation program where he went to school for auto body. However, to support his family he ended up working as a spot welder for the defense industries in California. 
In 1970, he moved his family back to Wolf Point to be near extended family. Shortly after, he and Deborah divorced. 
Around 1976, he had a brief marriage to Janice Dione and they resided in Devils Lake, N.D. 
In 1984, he married Tammy Renolette of Grand Rapids, Minn. They lived in the Wolf Point area where he worked as a truck driver for Wolf Point Ready Mix. During his marriage to Tammy, they served as foster parents for local area children and in 1993 they adopted a son named James Desjarlais who now resides with his mother in Grand Rapids. They were divorced in 1995. 
He also has two other daughters, Shyla Henry and Artis Rae Beauchamp. 
His mother was his world. In fact, when he worked to help support her, he would take his pay checks, buy himself a nice shirt, put ten dollars in his pocket and give the rest to his mother and this would make him happy. Also, as his mother got older, he wanted her to live out her years in comfort, therefore, several years before her death he and his brother, Timmy, bought her a house in Wolf Point. 
His father was a guitar player and he admired his father for this. It was important for him to learn to play the guitar, so he bought one and taught himself how to play. After learning to play, he particularly enjoyed playing and singing to his children. 
He loved to hunt, fish, mechanic and just spend time with his brothers. In fact, later in life if he wasn't home you could find him at Stockman's Cafe telling stories, joking, and laughing with one or all of his brothers. 
Although he was a talented carpenter and accomplished mechanic, his true passion in life was to be an artist. He was in fact a very talented artist, however, he found that he could not charge people for something that gave him so much enjoyment. When others encouraged him to go to school to develop his talent he would say he could never draw for money because it took all the fun out of it. 
He fought a life-long battle with alcohol. However, in 1982 he found God. He shared his experience of his rebirth through Christ with many people he knew. It kept him sober for a little over ten years. 
In 1992, he suffered a disabling back injury while working on a highway construction job. Around the same time he was diagnosed with diabetes. He struggled with this until his death. 
He had a true passion for laughter and fun. Although he was confronted with obstacles and struggles throughout his life, he always managed to see "the silver lining' or find the humor, even in the most difficult situations. 
He was preceded in death by two brothers, Richard and Tim; his sister, Margaret. 
He is survived by his son, Rick Desjarlais, Jr. of Missoula; four daughters, Michele Henderson of Missoula, Cherie Desjarlais of Ronan, Shyla Henry of Wolf Point, and Artis Rae Beauchamp of Montana; adopted son, James Desjarlais of Grand Rapids, Minn.; three brothers, Orville Desjarlais of Billings, Edward Desjarlais of Wolf Point, and Ronald Desjarlais of Poplar; six grandchildren. 
A memorial service was held Tuesday, June 6, at Clayton Memorial Chapel.

John Stentoft 
John Stentoft, 71, died Friday June 25 [1999], in Bismarck after surgery for a heart condition.
He was born July 13, 1927 in Bjorgst, Denmark, to Chris and Anine Stentoft.
He married Greta Knudsvig in May 1955 after he served in the U.S. Army in Korea and Japan.
He owned and operated NAPA stores in Scobey, Poplar and Wolf Point. 
He is survived by his wife; one son, Martin Stentoft of Scobey; three daughters, Anena Anderson of Scobey, Lorene Hames of Peerless, and JoAnn Hoverson of Fergus Falls, Minn.; ten grandchildren.
Memorial services were Tuesday, June 29, at the Scobey Lutheran Church with the Rev. Paul Landeraaen officiating. A private graveside service was held earlier.
Dallas Jerome "D. J." Ward 
Dallas Jerome "D.J." Ward, five months old, died Sunday, June 27 [1999]
He was born on December 19, 1999 in Wolf Point, to Mikel Ward and Geraldine Lambert, both of Poplar.
He is survived by his parents; three sisters, Eileen Lambert, Tristian Ward, Kassidy Ward; one brother, Mikel Ward Jr., all of Poplar; maternal grandparents, Kathleen Lambert and Stacy Crowe of Brockton; paternal grandmother, Agnes Ward of Poplar; grandparents, Margaret L. Big Leggins, Edna and Steven Grey Hawk, Rose and John Morsette, all of Poplar, Myron Four Bear, and Dennis Four Bear, Irene and David Evenson, Theresa Four Bear, all of Brockton; great-grand- parents, Ervin and Pearl Four Bear of Brockton; great-great-grandmother, Katherine Blount of Brockton.
A wake will be held on Thursday, July 1, at the Red Eagle Memorial Presbyterian Church in Fort Kipp with a prayer service at 7:00 p.m. Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, July 2, at the Red Eagle Memorial Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Enright Bighorn officiating. Burial will be in the Poplar City Cemetery. Clayton Memorial Chapel is in charge of the arrangements. 
William E. Wieglenda  
Staff Sergeant William E. Wieglenda, 35, died Wednesday, June 23 [1999], in Japan from injuries sustained in a swimming accident.
He was born on January 29, 1964, in Townsend, to Emil and Margaret (Wendel) Wieglenda.
He is survived by his parents, Emil and Margaret, P.O. Box 306, 58630, Gladstone, N.D.
Funeral services will be held on Friday, July 2, at 10:00 a.m. at St. Thomas Catholic Church in Gladstone, N.D. with the Rev. Lawrence Wagner officiating. Burial will be in St. Thomas Cemetery in Gladstone. Military rites will be provided by the color guard from Minot Air Force Base. Visitation will be held at Price-Murphy Funeral Home on Thursday, July 1, from 5:00 to 9:00 p.m. with a rosary and prayer service being said at 7:00 p.m. by Deacon Joe and Vi Kappel. Visitation will continue on Friday at the church one hour prior to the service.
Nathan Francis "Nate " Green 
Nathan Francis "Nate" Green, 70, died June 25 [1999], in a Jacksonville, Fla. hospital after a long illness.
Born in Wolf Point, he had lived in Jacksonville for 10 years and was district manager for Labor Finders.
He is survived by two daughters, Laurie Nickles of Wellington, Colo. and Tracey Alldrin of Port Collins, Colo.; a brother, Robert Green of Eureka, Calif.; a sister, Pat Wilson of Navasota, Tex,; and three grandchildren.
Memorial services were Sunday, June 27, in the chapel of Hardage-Giddens Funeral Home in Jacksonville.

Elaine Brockmeyer 
Elaine Brockmeyer, 47, died from an aneurysm on Friday, July 16 [1999], at her home in Wolf Point.
She was born on March 7, 1952, in Wolf Point, the daughter of Harold and Margaret Eggebrecht.
On June 21, 1986, she married Dennis Brockmeyer in Wolf Point. 
She worked for Roosevelt County as the Emergency Medical Services Coordinator for approximately twelve years until the present time. In the fall of 1993 she and her husband began Hi-Tech Photography Studio in Wolf Point. She served as secretary-treasurer for the 911 Board. She was past Red Cross chairman for Roosevelt County for many years.
Survivors include her husband; her parents; a son, Michael Polutnick of Las Vegas, Nev; a daughter, Jessica of the family home; two stepsons, David Brockmeyer of Havre, and Chris Brockmeyer of the family home; a brother, Doug Eggebrecht of Wolf Point; five sisters, Audrey Leuenberger, Alice Swoboda, and Connie Weyrauch, all of Wolf Point, Theresa Anderson of Boise, Ida, and Sharon Shirk of Sidney.
Funeral services were Tuesday, July 20, at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Wolf Point with the Rev. George Draper officiating. Burial will be in the Greenwood Cemetery.

Maxine Dwyer 
Maxine Helen Dwyer, 77, formerly of Wolf Point, died on Sunday, July 19 [1999], at her home in Las Vegas, Nevada after lengthy illness.
She was born at home in Circle, on January 6, 1922, the daughter of Max and Grace Lehman.
On February 5, 1944, she married James Dwyer in Circle. They lived in Circle until the end of World War II and after James' discharge from U.S. Navy, they moved to Wolf Point in 1946.
Survivors include her husband, of 1520 Jamielinn Lane, #103, Las Vegas, NV. 89110; two sons, James P. of Helena, and Norman Paul of Chicago, Ill.; three daughters, Ellen J. Mayher of Renton, Wash., Mary Ann Callahan of Grand Junction, Colo., and Jeanne G. Childers of Las Vegas, Nev.; three brothers, Gene Lehman of Boring, Ore., Alan Lehman of Seattle, Wash., And Norman Lehman of Tillamook, Ore.; a sister, Gretchen Peterson of Farmington Hills, Mich.; fifteen grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Visitations will be held at the Clayton Memorial Chapel in Wolf Point on Friday, July 23, from 9:00 to 8:00 p.m. with a vigil service at 7:00 p.m. Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 24, at the Immaculate Conception Church in Wolf Point with the Rev. Steve Zabrocki officiating. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery.

Lillian Watkins 
Lillian Frances Watkins, 87, died Saturday, July 17 [1999], at the Faith Lutheran Home in Wolf Point, after a short bout with cancer.
She was born December 6, 1913, in Randall, Minn., to James F. and Lillian Covert Sullivan. 
Joyce, as she was affectionately known as, called many places home through her years, settling in Livingston, but wishing to spend her last days at home in Wolf Point. She supported herself by waitressing, working in various restaurants.
Survivors include her friends of Livingston; a brother, Robert E. "Sully" Sullivan of Wolf Point; two cousins, David and Lucille Covert of Terry; four nephews, Jim, Don, and Dana Marconett of Missouri, Bob Holum of Gillette, Wyo.; two nieces, June Hagadone and Judy Holum, both of Wolf Point.
Cremation has taken place. Graveside services will be at a later date with burial at Poplar City Cemetery.
Joyce Calfee Quiring 
Joyce Calfee Quiring died on Wednesday, June 30 [1999], in Hesperia, Calif., at her daughter's home.
She was born February 18, 1924, to John and Jessie Calfee in Frazer. She graduated from Frazer High School in 1943. She resided in Victorville, Calif.
She is survived by her daughter, Julene Salsberry of Hesperia; one son, Rick Quiring of Bedford, Texas; a sister, Dorothy Stratton of Billings; a brother, John Calfee of Rialto, Calif.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Cremation has taken place.
Harold Lloyd Red Eagle Sr. 
Harold Lloyd Red Eagle, 40, died on Wednesday, July 14 [1999], at the Deaconess Hospital in Billings due to natural causes.
He was born in Poplar, on February 7, 1959, to Delmar Red Eagle and Betty (Good Bird) Black Dog. 
He was preceded in death by his daughter, Mandy Red Eagle; a son, Phillip Four Bear; one grandson, Phillip Red Eagle.
Survivors include his mother; two daughters, Kimberly and Natalie Red Eagle, both of Brockton; two sons, Issac Four Bear of Brockton, and Harold Red Eagle Jr. of Poplar; a sister, Maureen Dionne; two brothers, Darryl and Dennis Red Eagle; his very special nephew, "Cowboy" Richard Dionne Jr., all of Poplar; an adopted father, Dennis Big Hair of the Crow Tribe; and adopted mother, Lorraine Stormy of Poplar; adopted brother, Darryl Good Will of Arizona; a grandson, Harold Red Eagle III of Poplar.
Funeral services were Monday, July, 19, at the Poplar Cultural Center with the Rev. Enright Bighorn officiating. Burial was in the Fort Kipp Cemetery. Clayton Memorial Chapel was in charge of arrangements.
Darrell J. "Bear" Reddog, Sr. 
Darrell J. "Bear" Reddog, Sr., 51, died Tuesday, July 13 [1999], at the Poplar Community Hospital, after a long illness.
He was born in Polar on March 4, 1948, the son of Lorraine and Leland Reddog. He attended schools in Poplar and lived in the Poplar area most of his life. 
On December 7, 1968, he married Joann Russell. They moved to Oakland, Calif., where he worked at a factory for one year before moving back to Poplar. After his divorce he has been with his long time friend, Connie Fast Horse for seven years.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a twin brother, Errol Reddog Sr., and a daughter Tammy Lynn Reddog.
He is survived by his two daughters, Mrs. Dennis (Farrell) Simons of Columbus, and Traci Reddog of Poplar; a son Darrell Reddog, Jr., of Poplar; two sisters, Mrs. Bruce (Mary) Nordwick and Mrs. Steve (Judy) Gray Hawk Jr., both of Poplar; one brother Lonnie Reddog of Poplar; and eight grandchildren.
Funeral services were Saturday, July 17, at the Poplar Cultural Center with the Rev. Enright Bighorn and Pastor Curtis Reese officiating. Burial was at the Poplar Cemetery. Clayton Memorial Chapel was in charge of arrangements.

RAMONA ELIZA ENGEN, 62, died on November 19 [2000] at the Northeast Montana Health Services facility in Poplar from cancer. She was born March 26, 1938, in Wolf Point, the daughter of Joseph and Emma (Pipe) Robinson. She was raised by Lida and Gale Menz in Fort Kipp from the time she was three years old. She married Milton Buck Elk in Siddney on November 7, 1958 and on September 22, 1983, she married LeRoy Engen in Wolf Point. Funeral services were Saturday, Nov. 25, at the James Black Dog Activity Center in Fort Kipp. Interment was in the Fort Kipp Cemetery.  

HAROLD KJELGAARD died November 13 [2000] , at his home 30 miles southwest of Wolf Point in McCone County. Harold was the sixth child of John and Ester Kjelgaard's seven children. He was born January 6, 1928, in Wolf Point. Funeral services were held Friday, November 17 at the First Lutheran Church in Wolf Point. Burial was in the Prairie Elk Cemetery.  

CHARLES BURSIA, 36, died of exposure Wednesday, November 15 [2000] , while doing what he enjoyed most - walking the hills north of Smoke Creek near Brockton. He was born in Fort Yates, N. Dak., on April 20, 1964, to Patrick Burshia and Harriet Rough Surface Burshia. After the death of his father, he was raised by his brother, Larry, and sister-in-law, Nancy. He graduated from Poplar High School. Funeral services were held Monday, November 20, at the St. Thomas Catholic Church in Brockton. 
GOLDIE NEUBAUER, 95, of Wolf Point died on Thursday, March 8 [2001]. Funeral services were held in the First Lutheran Church on March 13 with Pastor Tim Whiteman officiating.Interment was in the Greenwood Cemetery. 

Marilyn Joan Lemieux, 70, of Bozeman, died on Sunday Feb. 25 [2001]. Cremation has taken place and private family services will be held. 

Hazel Long Pipal Folden, 84, died at the Lutheran Heart Hospital in Mesa, Ariz., on March 5 [2001]. Funeral services were on Monday, March 12, at the First Lutheran Church in Wolf Point, with Pastor Tim Whiteman officiating. Interment was iin the Greenwood Cemetery. 

Melvin Lingle, 85, died Saturday, March 10 [2001] at the Kalispell Regional Medical Center in Kalispell. Creamation arrangements were made under the direction of Johnson Mortuary and Creamatory. 

Laura Waddill Taylor, 51, died on February 20 [2001] at Providence Alaska Medical center. She was an Anchorage, Alaska, resident. Funeral services were held on Saturday, Feb. 24, at the Turnagain United Methodist Church with Rev. Dennis Holway officiating. Burial will be at the Angelus Memorial Park Cemetery in the spring. 

Edna J. Bilyeu, 94, of Wolf Point, died March 3 [2001] at Faith Lutheran Home. Funeral services were Monday, March 12, at the First Presbyterian Church in Wolf Point with Pastor P.J. Southam officiating. Burial was in Greenwood Cemetery. 

LAUDIE R. SAFRATOWICH, 76, of Whitehall, died on Sunday, May 6 [2001], at St. James Healthcare in Butte.
He was born on March 7, 1925 at Corham, ND to Michael and Elizabeth Safratowich. He graduated from Belfield High Schoo and in 1947 graduated with honors from Dickinson State College with degrees in math and physical education. 
He later moved to Jordan, Mont., where he was the superintendent of schools prior to moving to Wolf Point to serve as principal of the Wolf Point High School.
He is survived by his wife, Elinor of Whitehall; son Lorr of Butte and two grandsons of Butte.

ERNEST M. FACHNER, 77, of Lewistown, died Saturday, May 5 [2001], in the Central Montana Medical Center.
He was born on April 10, 1924, in Volt, the son of Matthias and Bertha Fachner. He received his education in Volt and entered the United States Army in 1943.
On June 18, 1948, he was united in marriage to Beverly Carpenter and they lived and farmed in the Wolf Point area until moving to Lewistown in 1977.
Survivors include his wife, two son, one daughter, one brother, two sisters, two grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

MARIE THELMA FERDINA, 82, died Sunday, May 6 [2001], at Faith Lutheran Home where she has lived with her husband, Melvin, since the early 1990's.
Born Jan. 20, 1919, the daughter of Mae and Oscar Erickson, she attended country school and graduated from Wolf Point High School in 1937. She married Melvin Ferdina at First Lutheran Church in Wolf Point on March 6, 1938.
She was preceded in death by her brother, Chester, and two infant grandsons.
She is survived by her husband of 63 years, two sons, a daughter, one brother, five grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: