Miscellaneous Boone County, Missouri Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Ruby Caldwell
Ruby Caldwell of Mesa, Ariz., died Thursday, Oct. 7, 1999, at her home. She was 82. 
Mrs. Caldwell was born on Dec. 12, 1916, in Boone County. She married Marvin Caldwell in 1937. The couple lived in Columbia until 1982. They then moved to Mesa, Ariz., to be closer to family.
Graveside services, conducted by the Rev. Kirk Sumpter, will be held at 10 a.m. today at Memorial Park Cemetery in Mesa. 
Mrs. Caldwell is survived by her husband, Marvin Caldwell of Mesa, Ariz.; one daughter, Carol Schneeflock of Mesa, Ariz.; three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

D'Tareon Shane McClain
D'Tareon Shane McClain died Friday, Oct. 8, 1999, at University Hospital shortly after birth. 
Visitation for D'Tareon will be from noon until 1 p.m. today at TrueLight Baptist Church, 603 N. Providence Road, with services immediately following. Burial will be at Memorial Park Cemetery. 
D'Tareon is survived by his mother, Shamise McClain of Columbia; his maternal grandparents, Wanda Ingram of Columbia and Eddceutt Andy of Nigeria; and several aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.. 
Memorials may be sent to Parkade Baptist Church, 2102 N. Garth Ave., Columbia, Mo. 65202.

Stanley Poe
Stanley Poe died Sunday, Oct. 10, 1999, at his home. He was 80. 
Mr. Poe learned responsibility and generosity from growing up in the depression, said his brother, Ralph Poe of Columbia. 
"He was the kind of guy who would help anybody," he said. For example, Mr. Poe would take his children and grandchildren to the doctor whenever they needed it, his brother said. 
Mr. Poe was a hard worker and a family man, according to his wife, Mildred. Mr. Poe worked 26 years at the MU physical plant, washing windows and doing other maintenance. He also farmed near Huntsdale. 
Mr. Poe was born July 6, 1919, in Boone County to Thomas Birch Poe and Anna Hunt Poe. He married Mildred Catherine Bennett on Dec. 18, 1939, in Ashland. He was a member of Huntsdale Baptist Church. 
Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Nilson Funeral Home. Services, conducted by the Rev. John Foley, will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Nilson Funeral Home. Mr. Poe's body will be buried at Mt. Nebo Cemetery in Huntsdale. 
He is survived by his wife, Mildred Poe of Columbia; six sons, William S. Poe, Roy "David" Poe, Larry "Thomas" Poe, Ronald Eugene Poe, Gary Dale Poe, and Roger Wayne Poe, all of Columbia; a daughter, Betty Jean Bowen of Columbia; four brothers, Ralph Poe, Roy Poe, Sanford Poe and Vic Poe, all of Columbia; one sister, Helen Burr of Vaugn, N.M.; 23 grandchildren, 32 great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren. 
One son, one daughter, three grandsons, one great-granddaughter and two brothers died earlier. 

Eva Deane Sublett
Eva Deane Sublett of Columbia died Saturday, Oct. 9, 1999, at Boone Hospital Center. She was 79. 
Mrs. Sublett was born July 26, 1920, in Boone County to Arch Franklin and Jeanette Southerland Varvel. She married James Sublett March 26, 1940. 
Mrs. Sublett was a homemaker and took pride in being part of a large family. 
"She raised four children," her son Jim Sublett said. "That was her big thing." 
In addition to being a dedicated mother, Mrs. Sublett had seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. 
In her spare time, Mrs. Sublett enjoyed quilting, ceramics and gardening. Mrs. Sublett was a member of Calvary Baptist Church and V.F.W. Auxiliary. 
Visitation for Mrs. Sublett will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Memorial Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. Services, conducted by Paul Jarrett, will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. Buried will be in Memorial Park Cemetery. 
Mrs. Sublett is survived by her husband, James Sublett of Columbia; two sons, Michael Sublett of Normal, Ill., and Jim Sublett of Columbia; two daughters, Marcia Johnson of Springfield, Mo., and Jeanne Romenius of Derby, Kan.; seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. 
Memorials may be sent to the American Cancer Society, 33 E. Broadway, Suite 100, Columbia, Mo. 65203.

Nancy Austene Pantoga
Nancy Austene Pantoga died Thursday, Oct. 7, 1999, at Boone Hospital Center. She was 64. 
Ms. Pantoga spent over half her life as a dietician for the Department of Veterans Affairs. 
"She enjoyed it immensely," her son Rick Pantoga said of her career. 
While not working, Ms. Pantoga was an avid sports fan. 
"She followed the Chiefs and the Tigers, and also the Royals. She was a die-hard Missourian," Rick Pantoga said. 
She was born Nov. 16, 1934, in Kansas City to Benjamin and Nannie Kemper Austene. Ms. Pantoga grew up in Hallsville. She attended Columbia College and received a bachelor's degree in nutrition in the mid-1950s. 
After graduating, she moved to Chicago and began her career as a dietician. There she met her husband, Richard Pantoga; the two were married in 1958. Their son was born a year later in Chicago. She started working for the Department of Veterans Affairs and moved several times through transfers and promotions. She eventually became chief dietician for the department in Kansas City. She worked for the department for 34 years. Ms. Pantoga divorced in 1981. 
After retiring, she relocated to Columbia, where she volunteered with the National Historical Society for a short period. Ms. Pantoga liked to watch and feed birds and work on crossword puzzles, and she recently began surfing the Internet. 
"She liked to look up different medical organizations and sports organizations," Rick Pantoga said. "She also communicated with her friends through e-mail." 
Visitation for Ms. Pantoga will be from 3 to 5 p.m. today at Parker Funeral Service, 22 N. Tenth St. Services, conducted by the Rev. Bill Ryan, will be at 11 a.m. Monday at Parker Funeral Service. She will be buried in Columbia Cemetery, 30 E. Broadway. 
Ms. Pantoga is survived by her son, Richard Pantoga of Sherman Oaks, Calif.; one brother, Alan Austene of Hallsville; two sisters, Patricia Doak of Ames, Iowa, and Sue Wright of Columbia. 
Memorials may be sent to the Hallsville United Methodist Church, 134 E. Highway OO, Hallsville, Mo., 65255.

Francis Darrah
Francis Darrah died Tuesday, Oct. 5, 1999, at Truman Veterans Hospital. He was 76. 
Mr. Darrah was born Dec. 28, 1922, in Kansas City to William and Myrtle Arnold Darrah. 
There will be no visitation for Mr. Darrah. A graveside service will be held at 9:45 a.m. Monday at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis. 
Mr. Darrah is survived by his son, James Darrah, of Houston, Mo. 

Wiley C. Davis
In 1943, during World War II, the U.S. Navy sent a group of men to Alaska to protect the area from the Japanese. The Navy forgot to send a cook. 
The officer in charge asked if anyone had a mother who was a good cook and Wiley C. Davis spoke up. He asked all the men in the group to write home for their mothers' best recipes and he would see what he could do. That began his passion for cooking. 
Mr. Davis died Friday, Oct. 8, 1999, at Williamsburg retirement home. He was 78. 
After four years in the Navy, Mr. Davis came to Columbia and began working as a chef at Breiches restaurant. It was here that he met his future wife, Golden. She frequently went to the restaurant and they became acquainted. Three years later, they were married in Pittsfield, Ill. 
Mr. Davis later served as a chef for Hathman House, Ramada Inn and Truman Veterans Hospital. He was also an avid fisherman. 
"We always had fresh fish," Golden Davis said. 
She said her husband also used his cooking to care for others. When neighbors were sick, Mr. Davis would take food or coffee to them. It was one of the ways that he showed his gracious and caring personality, Golden Davis said. She described him as a joyous person who made friends easily. 
"He was an outgoing person," she said. 
Mr. Davis was born May 13, 1921, in Hickory Hill to Edwin and Maude Carrender Davis. He attended Jefferson City schools and was a member of the Oakland Christian Church. 
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today at Memorial Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. Services, conducted by the Rev. Greg Robinson, will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. Mr. Davis will be buried in Memorial Park Cemetery. 
He is survived by his wife; two daughters, Linda Bartholomew of Pewaukee, Wis. and Wylitta Hardwick of Tuscola, Ill.; two stepsons, Dusty Hehmann of Sacramento, Calif., and Gene Hehmann of Springfield, Mo.; two stepdaughters, Kandyce Alexander of St. James and Brenda Nolte of Columbia; and 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. 
His parents, three brothers and three sisters died earlier. 
Memorials may be sent to the Alzheimer's Association at 1121 Business Loop 70 E., Columbia, Mo. 65201.

Frances Asel
Frances Marguerite Shirky Asel died Wednesday, Oct. 6, 1999, at Columbia Manor after a long illness. She was 81. 
Mrs. Asel was born April 7, 1918, in Columbia to Samuel Bryan and Marguerite Shirky. After graduating from MU in 1941, she taught at Ridgeway School. 
She married Norman D. Asel on Aug. 2, 1942. They lived in Fort Campbell, Ky., St. Louis, Cleveland, Fort Carson, Colo., and Kansas City. In 1959, the family returned to Columbia to make its home. 
Mrs. Asel worked for the State Historical Society of Missouri for a number of years. She was also active in the Pi Beta Phi Alumni organization and the Cecile Taylor Circle of Kings' Daughters. 
Services will be private. Donations may be sent to the Alzheimer's Association. 
Mrs. Asel is survived by her husband, Norman Asel; three children, Joann Asel Rea of Potomac, Md., Donald Asel of Columbia, and Kristen Smith of Leawood, Kan.; and six grandchildren. 

Jake Popp
Jake Popp, an MU student, died early Sunday morning from injuries suffered in a car accident. He was 19. 
Mr. Popp was returning to Columbia from his home in Jefferson City when the accident occurred. 
According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Mr. Popp was traveling south on Route W when he ran off the side of the road, and his car flipped over a number of times, ejecting Mr. Popp from the car. 
The highway patrol responded to the accident at 12:34 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 7, and Mr. Popp was pronounced dead on the scene. 
Mr. Popp was a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity and a sophomore agriculture major. 
"He was just a sophomore and already becoming a leader in our house," said Jesse Schwanke, Alpha Gamma Rho president. "As we all sat around here last night we couldn't remember a time when he wasn't smiling. He was always encouraging to be around no matter what kind of day you were having." 
MU Student Life staff members and MU counselors are meeting with members of the fraternity to give them support.. 
Mr. Popp was born Dec. 3, 1979, in Jefferson City. He graduated from Eugene Cole R-5 High School in 1998 where he was a member of the varsity baseball and basketball teams. He enjoyed hunting and fishing. 
"He loved to hunt," Schwanke said. "I'm sure he's up in heaven right now hunting." 
A wake was held Monday night at Houser-Millard Funeral Home in Jefferson City. Services, conducted by Stephen H. Buchholz, are scheduled for 2 p.m. today at Central United Church of Christ, 118 W. Ashley St. in Jefferson City. He will be buried at Honey Creek Cemetery. 
Mr. Popp is survived by his parents, Rado and Brenda Popp of Jefferson City; two sisters, Nicki Russell of Brazito and Kelley Popp of Jefferson City; one brother-in-law Aaron Russell of Brazito; and two grandmothers, Dorothy Popp and Anne Rackers, both of Jefferson City. 

Genelle Morton Roberts
Genelle Morton Roberts of Columbia died Saturday, Nov. 6, 1999, at Boone Hospital Center. She was 85. 
Mrs. Roberts was born July 31, 1914, in Randolph County, Mo., to Oscar Morton and Martha Ellen Brockman Morton. 
She graduated from Hickman High School in 1933. She married Joseph Hubert Roberts on July 1, 1947, in Auxvasse. 
Mrs. Roberts was a registered nurse at Boone Hospital Center and Ellis Fischel Hospital for many years. She was a member of Wilkes Boulevard United Methodist Church. 
Visitation for Mrs. Roberts will be from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday at Memorial Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. Services, conducted by the Rev. Michael Keith, will be held after visitation at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. 
Mrs. Roberts is survived by her son, Carl Roberts of Columbia, and one grandchild. 
Her husband and one brother died earlier. 
Memorials may be sent to Wilkes Boulevard United Methodist Church, 702 Wilkes Blvd., Columbia, Mo. 65201.

James Albert Hourigan
Everyone called him Jimmy and he liked it that way. James Albert Hourigan, a man who grew up, lived and died in Columbia, will be remembered for his love of the arts, his devotion to work and his dedication to people.
"He was a real gentleman," said Judi Hourigan, his daughter-in-law. "He had a lot of class and dignity." 
Mr. Hourigan died Sunday, Feb. 27, 2000, at Lenoir Health Care Center. He was 83. 
He helped many University of Missouri students through college by offering them jobs at his store, Barth's Clothing. An MU graduate himself, Mr. Hourigan could empathize with their position. 
"Everyone loved him," Judi Hourigan said. "So many students worked here while they were in school." 
Mr. Hourigan was born Nov. 19, 1916, to James White and Mabel Gray Hourigan. At 17, he worked at Barth's Clothing, then his father's store. 
Mr. Hourigan attended Hickman High School and MU. After his father died, he inherited the store and spent 55 years working there, until 1987 when it went out of business. The store had been in Columbia since 1868. 
Throughout his life, he balanced his business life with his appreciation of art. He co-founded the Columbia Art League and after he retired, he volunteered, working at the gift shop at MU's Museum of Art and Archaeology. 
"He was a man of very good taste," said Bette Weiss, who knew Mr. Hourigan for 40 years. "He had a lot of interests, but a deep interest in art. He liked being around art, liked coming to the opening of shows." 
Weiss said art is a personal thing and he responded to that. 
Mr. Hourigan also incorporated his religious beliefs into his daily life. 
"He tried to put his faith into practice and live out his belief in daily life in his attitude and actions," said the Rev. John Yonker of the First Christian Church, where Mr. Hourigan was a member. 
Visitation for Mr. Hourigan will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Parker Funeral Service, 22 N. Tenth St. 
A private graveside service, conducted by the Rev. Yonker, will be held Thursday morning. 
Mr. Hourigan is survived by his son, Nick Hourigan of Sacramento, Calif.; daughter-in-law, Judi Hourigan of Columbia; three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. 
Two brothers and one son died earlier. 
Memorials may be sent to the Columbia Art League, 1013 E. Walnut St., Columbia, Mo., 65201. 

Lewis Morris
Lewis "Eddie" Morris of Columbia died Friday, Feb. 25, 2000, at Truman Veterans. Hospital. He was 67. 
Mr. Morris served in the Korean War and was a life member of V.F.W. Post 280. He spent his military days as a cook in the Navy. 
"He was a good cook," said his wife, Sue Morris. "He always did the cooking at home. I hate to cook, and he loved to cook." 
Mr. Morris also worked for several years at Bob Schultz Excavating. He was a heavy equipment operator. 
Mr. Morris was born Oct. 20, 1932, in Columbia to Lewis M. and Helen L. Burton Morris. He married Sue Fuhrman on March 18, 1986. He lived his entire life in Columbia. 
Visitation for Mr. Morris will from 10 to 11 a.m. Wednesday at Parker Funeral Service, 22 N. Tenth St. Graveside services, conducted by V.F.W. Post 280, will be at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Old Union Cemetery, on Sinclair Road in Columbia. 
Mr. Morris is survived by his wife, Sue Morris of Columbia; one daughter, Terry Mueller of Springfield; and four grandchildren. 
Memorials may be sent to Truman Veterans Hospital, 800 Hospital Dr., Columbia, Mo. 65201. 

Leo R. Penberthy
He was a cattle farmer, construction worker, painter, fisherman and a family man. 
Leo "Bud" R. Penberthy of Centralia died Saturday, Feb. 26, 2000, at Truman Veterans Hospital. He was 74. 
Mr. Penberthy was born Nov. 11, 1925, in Elvins to Charles William and Christine E. Huggins Penberthy. 
He served with the U.S. Navy during World War II. 
Mr. Penberthy met his future wife, Bettye Greeson, while ice skating on a pond. He married Greeson on December 25, 1945, in Farmington. 
Mrs. Penberthy said they enjoyed watching ice skating together during the Olympics. She said her husband liked downhill skiing, and loved fishing because it was his private time. 
"He wrote notes that said, 'Gone Fishing. I love you,'" Mrs. Penberthy said. 
She said the notes always included the time he left and where he'd gone fishing. She said he'd just sit for hours with the wind, the water and the fish. After Mrs. Penberthy retired, she would sometimes accompany him. 
She said her husband could always be there for his kids because he was a cattle farmer and worked at home. While their youngest kids were in school, Mrs. Penberthy worked as a cashier checker, so Mr. Penberthy would put the kids on the bus in the morning and be there when they got home from school. 
"He was a family man," Mrs. Penberthy said. "He loved people - the more the merrier." 
Last Christmas, Mr. and Mrs. Penberthy celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary. 
"He went into the hospital on January 19," Mrs. Penberthy said. "He had surgery on the 20th, and then he never came home to me." 
Visitation was held Monday from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Memorial Funeral Home. Services, conducted by the Rev. Jed Angell, will be at 1:30 p.m. today at the Memorial Funeral Home Chapel, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. He will be buried in Memorial Park Cemetery with full military honors. 
Mr. Penberthy is survived by his wife; one son, Charles M. Penberthy; five daughters, Christy Hargis, Robin Webster, Donna Taylor, Joyce Edwards, and Carol Dennis; two brothers, Paul Penberthy of St. Genevieve, and Larry Penberthy of Paris, Mo.; two sisters, Dorothy Snodgrass of Ashland and Helen McCabe of Long Beach, Calif.; 17 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 

Eugene William Shaw
Eugene William Shaw, a leading member of Alcoholics Anonymous for four decades, died Feb. 24, 2000, in Columbia. He was 85. 
"He has lived his life for AA," his wife, Marion Shaw, said. 
Through AA, Mr. Shaw saved many from the experience he went through. 
"Gene was a No. 1 man to me," said Dutch, a friend of Mr. Shaw's for 16 years, who in keeping with AA policy identified himself by only one name. "Gene went to all AA meetings every night till he couldn't drive anymore. If he didn't show up we thought, 'Hey, is he sick?' " 
Mr. Shaw's friends said his opinion was respected and that he was available for anything. Dutch remembers him being straightforward and fair. 
"The first time I came to AA with the $100 that my boss gave me to get help, Gene made a remark I still remember: 'That hundred can make you get drunk again.' That day I thought it was none of his business. But he was right, and we became great friends." 
Every day Mr. Shaw would drop by his friend's office, smoke his pipe and share another unforgettable conversation. "To him I could talk about anything, even though I hated the tobacco smoke," Dutch recalled. 
Mr. Shaw was born on Oct. 8, 1914, in Columbia to William Cordell and Florence Grace Reed Shaw. He served as manager at Wyatt Super Foods in Ashland and served on the board of Phoenix House. 
James Strong, another friend, says Eugene Shaw was one of the most honest people he knew - a man of his word. One time Strong started to pave Shaw's driveway with concrete, but then a big storm hit. 
"Eugene knew I would lose a lot of money, so he covered the cost," Strong remembered. "Ninety-nine percent of people wouldn't do it. He was a great person to work for." 
Mr. Shaw always shared his experience, strength and hope with everyone he knew, his friends recall. He was a really spiritual person, Strong said. 
Mr. Shaw spent most of his life in Columbia, including attending Columbia Public Schools. 
He married Marion Terrell Barnds in August 1959 in Columbia. He was a member of Fairview Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. 
He is survived by his wife; five daughters, Larsella Barnds of Atlanta, Victoria Helton of Marceline, Carole Lohman of Murrell's Inlet, S.C., Virginia Sprenger of Ottumwa, Iowa, and Martha Yount of Columbia; one son, Larsen Barnds of Kansas City; two sisters, Bea Critchfield of Harrisburg and Carmen Wood of Columbia; nine grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. 
Two sisters, one brother and one grandchild died earlier. 
Visitation for Mr. Shaw will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Parker Funeral Service, 22 N. Tenth St. Services, conducted by the Rev. Don Snyder, will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Parker Funeral Service. Burial will follow at Memorial Park Cemetery, 1217 Business Loop 70 W. 
Memorials may be given to Salvation Army Building Fund, 1108 W. Ash, Columbia, Mo. 65201. 
--Xenia Polska

Allie Ann Jones
Allie Ann Jones of Placentia, Calif., died Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2000. She was 88. 
Mrs. Jones was born June 16, 1911, in Macon County to John and Emma Welch Devore. She worked at Sears & Roebuck in both Missouri and California. On July 6, 1930, she married Robert Jones. 
Visitation for Mrs. Jones was Saturday at Memorial Funeral Home in Columbia. 
Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. today at Woodlawn Cemetery in Macon. 
Mrs. Jones is survived by her grandson, Eddie Jones of Placentia, and several nieces and nephews. 
Her husband, one son, three brothers and two sisters died earlier. 
- Brigette Gaucher

William Barnthouse
William Lyle "Bill" Barnthouse of Columbia was known for his beautifully landscaped yard.
"He just loved working outside," Diane Barnthouse said about her husband, who died Sunday, Feb. 27, 2000, at Boone Hospital Center. He was 59.
"I live next door to the perfect yard," said Elinor Arendt, who has been the Barnthouse's neighbor for 27 years. "Bill really takes a lot of pride in his yard. It has perfect grass, perfect flowers, and he has built things, like a gazebo, in the yard."
A gazebo was not the only thing he built. Daryl Moen, a neighbor for more than 20 years, said Mr. Barnthouse also enjoyed building houses. 
Moen said Mr. Barnthouse was one of the most talented men he ever met. 
"He could build or create anything," Moen said. "If we woke up one morning and it was a new ice age, Bill would be the first one out there building a shelter, figuring out how to get heat out of ice." 
Mr. Barnthouse was born June 28, 1940, in Rockwell City, Iowa, to Lyle and Arvilla Jackson. He married Diane Meuler Nov. 8, 1959, in Burlington, Iowa. He moved his family from Burlington to Columbia in 1966. 
He was a very hardworking, nice man and a generous neighbor, Arendt said. 
"One time I had a problem with my telephone, and he helped me because he worked for GTE," Arendt said. "He always did more than I ever asked him to do." 
Barnthouse retired from GTE in 1993 after 27 years of service. He was also a member of Zion United Church in Burlington and attended Evangelical Free Church in Columbia. 
Visitation for Mr. Barnthouse was held Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Memorial Park Funeral Home. Services, conducted by the Rev. Oliver Langmade, will be held at 11 a.m. today at Memorial Park Funeral Home. 
Mr. Barnthouse is survived by his wife, Diane Barnthouse of Columbia; three daughters, Rebecca Rafferty of Weldon Spring, Ann Juengermann of Columbia and Kathy McFall of Kansas City; a son, William Barnthouse of Columbia; a stepsister, Kay Cox of Centralia; and a grandson. 
His parents, sister, stepmother, stepfather, stepbrother and a grandson died earlier. 
Memorials may be sent to Evangelical Free Church, 600 Silvey Street, Columbia, Mo. 65203, or Missouri River Hospice, 3210 Bluff Creek Dr., Columbia, Mo. 65201. 

William C. Evans
William Clay Evans of Columbia died Monday, Feb. 28, 2000, in Columbia. He was 72. 
Mr. Evans was born May 26, 1927, in Buffalo, Mo., to Willard Carl and Alma Jewell Arnold Evans. He married Virginia "Jenny" Ferrell on Feb. 25, 1951, in Springfield, Mo. 
Mr. Evans was a member of Grace Church of Mid-Missouri. His favorite past times included hunting and fishing. He worked as a loan officer in local financial institutions from 1956 to 1986. 
Services, conducted by the Rev. Dave Cochran, will be at 7 p.m. Friday at Grace Church of Mid-Missouri, 4925 Bonne Femme Church Road. A private burial will be at Missouri Veteran's Cemetery in Springfield, Mo. 
Mr. Evans is survived by his wife, Jenny Evans of Columbia; two sons, James A. Evans of Gainesville, Fla., and Carl V. Evans of Columbia; three daughters, Nancy K. Price of Tucson, Ariz., Karen L. Black of Columbia and Marla R. Storm of Millersburg; one sister, Carlene Marlin of Elk's Grove, Calif., 10 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. 
Memorials may be sent to Grace Church of Mid-Missouri 4925 Bonne Femme Church Road, Columbia, Mo. 65201. 

Mary Foster
Mary Foster of Columbia died Sunday, Feb. 27, 2000, at Boone Hospital Center. She was 83. 
Ms. Foster was born July 24, 1916, in Howard County to Lee F. and Edna Garrett Durham. 
Ms. Foster moved to Columbia in 1958 and worked as a typist in the registrar's office at MU. She attended Calvary Baptist Church. 
Services were conducted by the Rev. Phil Settle Monday at Parker Funeral Service. Ms. Foster's body will be cremated. 
Ms. Foster is survived by two grandchildren, Audrey Gillant of Paris, France and Patrick Gillant of San Francisco. 
Memorials may be sent to Calvary Baptist Church, 606 Ridgeway Ave, Columbia, Mo. 65202. 

Robert Jenkins
Robert Parker Jenkins of Columbia was an avid reader and enjoyed golf, working crossword puzzles and playing bridge or other card games. 
His wife Helen Jenkins said his favorite thing was to go fishing. 
Mr. Jenkins died of cancer Monday, Feb. 28, 2000, at Columbia Regional Care Center. He was 75. 
"He had a wonderful attitude throughout this long illness which helped us all," his wife said. 
Mr. Jenkins was born Jan. 4, 1925, in Columbia to C. Parker and Ernestine Olms Jenkins. He graduated from Hickman High School and attended Civil Engineering School at MU. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. 
Mr. Jenkins married Helen L. Sandker Sept. 13, 1946. He was a member of the Wilkes Boulevard United Methodist Church. He owned Barcol Garage Doors for 43 years. He belonged to the International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge for more than 50 years. He also was a member of Twilight Lodge 114 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. 
His family was a top priority. 
"He really loved his family, especially his grandchildren," Helen Jenkins said. 
Visitation for Mr. Jenkins will be held tonight from 7 to 9 at Parker Funeral Service, 22 N. 10th Street. Graveside services, conducted by the Rev. Michael Keith, will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Park Cemetery. 
Mr. Jenkins is survived by his wife, Helen Jenkins of Columbia; two sons, Parker Jenkins and William Robert Jenkins, both of Columbia; a daughter, Linda Ann Diefendorf of Ann Arbor, Mich.; a sister, Edith Jo Jenkins of Imperial; and seven grandchildren. 
Memorials may be sent to the American Cancer Society, 33 E. Broadway, Suite 100, Columbia, Mo. 65203. 

Candice Myesha Richie
"Candice really truly tried to live her life for others," said her stepfather, John Sharp. 
Candice Myesha Richie, of 2303 White Gate Drive, died Sunday, Feb. 20, 2000. She was 21. The cause of her death is still being investigated at the Boone County Medical Examiner's office. 
She was born on June 17, 1978, in Kansas City. 
She attended Dobbs Elementary and Ervin Junior High Schools and is a 1996 graduate of Hickman Mills High School in Kansas City. Ms. Richie was an honor roll student and a member of the National Honor Society. 
She was in the Octagon and Spanish Clubs. She received Hickman Mills' "Outstanding Spanish Student Award." 
She also was a cheerleader and a marching band member for three years in high school. She performed in the percussion section. 
"She had always been interested in music throughout grade school," Sharp said. 
Ms. Richie was listed in Who's Who Among American High School Students. 
She was one of 24 outstanding high school seniors presented to society as debutantes at the 43rd Annual Alpha Kappa Alpha Debutante Bowl. 
Ms. Richie also was selected two years in a row to serve as a Kansas City youth ambassador for the mayor's office to greet delegations visiting the city. 
She was a member of the Generation Rap Youth Advisory Council, a group of teenagers who work with at-risk students. 
Ms. Richie was a member of the youth choir, Acteens and Girls Auxiliary at Palestine Missionary Baptist Church. 
She was one of a small number of students from Missouri who participated in the minority high school student research apprentice program sponsored by the MU School of Medicine. 
Ms. Richie was hired as a part-time intern with the Columbia Public School District, said Dianne Tapp, a teacher's aide at West Junior High School. Ms. Richie worked with special education students. 
She was a member of the Legion of Black Collegians on the MU Campus and helped lead the successful effort for a new Black Culture Center. 
She had planned to graduate from MU in May with a political science degree and minors in philosophy and black studies. 
"She really hoped to go to law school at either MU or UMKC," her stepfather said. "She wanted to be a civil rights attorney. She was very committed to solving the problems of society." 
Her family will remember her for her bubbly laugh, beautiful smile and her strong commitment to build an equal society. 
Rev. Emanuel Cleaver, former mayor of Kansas City, will conduct the services at 1 p.m. Saturday at Watkins Brothers Memorial Chapel at 4000 E. Brush Creek Blvd. in Kansas City. Burial will be Forest Hill Cemetery following the services. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at Watkins Brothers Memorial Chapel. 
Ms. Richie is survived by her mother, Carmen Sharp who works as a counselor at Swope Parkway Health Center; her stepfather, John Sharp, who is the executive director of MAST Ambulance and formerly a state representative and a member of the Kansas City City Council; her brother Mark, an eighth grader at Ervin Middle School, all of Kansas City; and her father, Rodney Jones of Los Angeles. 
Memorials may be sent to the Teaching Tolerance Program of Southern Poverty Law Center at 400 Washington Ave., Montgomery, Ala. 36104 or to Deputy W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center at 5501 Cleveland Ave., Kansas City, Mo. 64130.

John Leigh Bullard
John Leigh Bullard of Columbia died Saturday, May 6, 2000, from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Columbia police. He was 50. 
Mr. Bullard was an artist and a philosopher, said his brother, Tom Bullard. 
"He wrote songs and poetry and played the guitar. He played his songs for his friends," Tom Bullard said. "As a philosopher, he explored different religions. I think it made him a stronger Christian." 
Tom Bullard remembers his brother as being a friend to many people, even strangers. 
"He'd talk to anybody on a great deal of subjects," Tom Bullard said. "He was an easy person to talk to." 
Tom Bullard says that people would often seek out his brother when they wanted someone to talk too. "He helped a lot of people by talking to them." 
Mr. Bullard liked children and animals. 
"One of his neighbors told me that he'd never seen Johnny eat candy, but he always had candy for his kids," Tom Bullard said. "Young people liked him, too." 
For the past 11 years, Mr. Bullard was employed with Marshall Engineering of Columbia as a surveying technician. 
"He was a very hard worker and was excellent in his particular line of work," said Bill Marshall, owner of Marshall Engineering. 
Mr. Bullard was born on New Year's Day, 1950, in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., to Roy James Bullard and Frances Hogan Bullard. 
Visitation for Mr. Bullard will be from 6 to 7 tonight at Robinson Funeral Home in Ashland. Memorial services will follow at 7 p.m., also at Robinson Funeral Home. Bill Marshall will officiate. 
Mr. Bullard is survived by two brothers, Tom Bullard of Manhattan Beach, Calif., and Jim Bullard of Columbia. 
His parents died earlier. 
Memorial contributions may be sent in Mr. Bullard's name to the Humane Society of Boone County, 616 Big Bear Blvd., Columbia, Mo. 65202. 

Thelma Bullard
Thelma Bullard stayed busy throughout her 95 years. She worked as a teacher, a sales clerk, stayed active in her church and still found time to revel in the joys of gardening, crafts and crocheting. 
Mrs. Bullard died Monday, May 8, 2000, at Ashland Health Care in Ashland . She was born Jan. 22, 1905 in Boone County to Edward E. Burnham and Clara B. Daniels Burnham. Mrs. Bullard later taught at what was Oak Grove School on Hawkins Road in the early 1920s. She married Raymond Bullard on Jan. 25, 1925 in Ashland. 
Mrs. Bullard worked as a sales clerk for Pauley's Store and JCPenney's. She also worked at Boone Hospital Center as a ward secretary. Retirement did not slow down the grandmother of three and great-grandmother of two, as she spent her time gardening, making crafts, crocheting and remaining active in the New Liberty Baptist Church in Hartsburg. 
Visitation will be from 9 to 10 a.m. on Wednesday at Robinson Funeral Home, 601 N. Henry Clay Blvd. in Ashland. Services conducted by Elder John Anderson will follow at 10 a.m. at the funeral home. The burial will take place at the New Salem Cemetery in Ashland. 
Mrs. Bullard is survived by her son, Edward Bullard of Ashland; three grandsons; and two great-grandchildren. 
Her parents, husband and a sister died earlier. 
Memorial contributions may be made to the New Liberty Cemetery or New Liberty Church, 4200 E. Liberty Lane in Hartsburg. 

Carl Morton Roberts
Carl Morton Roberts of Columbia died Friday, May 5, 2000, at Boone Hospital Center. He was 51. 
Mr. Roberts was born June 22, 1948, in Columbia to Joseph H. and Genelle Morton Roberts. 
Mr. Roberts and Cindy Palmer were married in Columbia in 1982. He was a member of Wilkes Boulevard Methodist Church and worked as an auto parts salesman at Machens Ford for 32 years. 
Visitation for Mr. Roberts was held on Monday at Memorial Funeral Home Chapel. Services were conducted by the Rev. Michael Keith on Tuesday. Mr. Roberts was buried at Memorial Park Cemetery in Columbia. 
Mr. Roberts is survived by his wife, Cindy, and one son, Craig Roberts of Columbia. 
His parents died earlier. 
Memorials may be sent to the Craig Roberts Trust Fund, c/o Memorial Funeral Home, 1217 Business Loop 70 W., Columbia, Mo. 65202. 

Cynthia Barnett
Cynthia Morine Barnett of Fayette died Wednesday, May 3, 2000, at her home. She was 81. 
Mrs. Barnett was born Feb. 16, 1919, to John and Ludie Powell of Forrest Green. She married Willard Barnett and worked for the D.C. Rogers family in Fayette. Mrs. Barnett also participated for a number of years in the OATS program, with which she remained active until her health began to fail. Mrs. Barnett was a member of Second Baptist Church in Fayette. 
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at H.T. May and Son Funeral Home, 304 Walter St., in Fayette. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Second Baptist Church in Fayette, with the Rev. Horace Hopkins officiating. 
Mrs. Barnett is survived by her three daughters, Mary Eubanks and Martha Wright, both of Fayette, and Ann Strotter of Stillwater, Okla.; and six grandchildren, seven great grandchildren, two sisters-in-law, one brother-in-law, one son-in-law and many cousins. 
Her husband died earlier.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: