(These obits are in no particular order or category. This page is
best used with your CTRL-F word search function)

Denny Kise

Charles Denham "Denny" Kise, died at his home in Santa Fe on Monday, Oct. 25, 1999.

He was born in Faribault, Minn., in 1937. Because his father was in the military, he lived in several places throughout the world while growing up. His first love was the guitar, which he started playing when he was 12 years old. He graduated from high school in London and attended college in Tucson, Ariz. He joined the U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola, Fla., where he was a pilot.

He had many different careers during his lifetime, but had settled at Los Alamos National Laboratory for the past 18 years. In 1994 he moved to Santa Fe to reside with Barbara, his future wife. They were planning a June wedding for the year 2000. He never lost his gifted talent and love for the guitar. After more than 30 years his love for flying was recently renewed.

Once again he excelled in his flight classes. He was extraordinary in all of his accomplishments.

He leaves behind many family members and friends whom he loved very much.

"He was a generous, kind, loving person, who was a good father, brother, friend, and fiance," family members said.

He is survived by his fiancee, Barbara Frankalucci of Santa Fe; stepmother, Marguerite Kise of North Carolina; sister and brother-in-law, Susan and Ken Kneale of Los Angeles; stepsister and brother-in-law, Gayle and Tony Houston of North Carolina; son and daughter-in-law, Chuck and Raynette Kise of Singapore; daughter and son-in-law, Debbie and Ken Ryals of Florida; daughter and son-in-law, Patty and Pinyo Phromsiri of Hawaii; son and daughter-in-law, Mike and Joelle Kise of Lebec, Calif.; stepdaughter and her husband, Karol and Lee Werner of Albuquerque; stepdaughter and husband, Robyn and Robert Carr of Albuquerque; and eight grandchildren.

Visitation will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 28, 1999, at Christ Lutheran Church. A memorial service will be conducted at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, 1999, at Christ Lutheran Church.

The Irish Standard, Minneapolis, MN Saturday, December 4, 1909

James Sheehan, Who Recently Passed Away in Seattle
James Sheehan, proprietor of the Grand Union hotel in Seattle, Wash., whose death took place in the city named on November 20, a brief notice of which appeared in the columns of the Irish Standard last week, was not only well known in Minneapolis where he had lived for a number of years, but had many acquaintances throughout the Northwest, all of whom sincerely regret to hear of his demise. About two months ago he was taken seriously ill with ptomaine poisoning and was conveyed to the Pacific Hospital in Seattle, where he gradually recovered until he was able to return to his home. Soon after this a change came upon him and with the coming of this change death followed within a few days. The funeral was held from St. Joseph's church, that city, on November 22d, internment taking place in Calvary cemetery.

James Sheehan was born in Boherboy, County Cork, Ireland in 1847, and was 62 years of age. He came to this country at an early age and his young manhood was spent in Minnesota. After almost a quarter of a century ago he left Minneapolis for Seattle, where he soon after embarked in business meeting with great success. In the early '90s Mr. Sheehan visited Ireland and was married while there. His wife died in Seattle about five years ago. Four children, two boys and two girls survive him, together with one brother, Jerry of Rochester, this state. While living in Minneapolis he was engaged with his brother, William J. Sheehan, in business. The latter died here in February 1907.

The subject of this sketch bore a very striking resemblence to the Irish patriot, Michael Davitt, and was often taken for him. Like Mr. Davitt, he had also lost an arm. Frank in his manner, genial and kind, he was a man of many noble qualities of both mind and heart. Peace be to him.

Irish Standard, Minneapolis, MN Saturday, Dec. 14, 1907

Peter McNamee
The week now drawing to a close marks the passing from earth of another of the few remaining pioneer residents of the East Side. On Thursday morning Peter McNamee died at his home, 642 Adams street northeast. He was 78 years of age and was born in County Cavan, Ireland. About 52 years ago he became a resident of the village of St. Anthony and resided continually until his death on the east side of the river. He is survived by three sons, Frank, Peter, and James, and five daughters, Mrs. Michael Ryan, Mrs. James Sullivan, Mrs. Thomas Burns, Miss Maggie McNamee and Rose McNamee, who now resides in France as a member of the Little Sisters of the Poor. The deceased was an honored citizen and a man of high character who never forgot to love the land of his birth and the religion of his youth. His funeral will be held at 9 o'clock this morning from St. Anthony of Padua church. After the requiem mass the remains will be interred in the family lot in St. Anthony cemetery.

Irish Standard, Minneapolis, MN Saturday, November 27, 1909

Mrs. Anna Kelly died Friday of last week at the city hospital of pneumonia. She was 54 years of age and resided at 1204 Fifth street south. Three sons and a daughter survive her. She was a member of Division No. 1, L. A.A.O.H. The funeral took place from St. Charles' church last Monday morning at 9 o'clock. Internment at St. Mary's cemetery.

The Irish Standard, Minneapolis, MN, Saturday, November 27, 1909

Mrs. Hannah McCormick, who died early last week at the home of the Little Sisters of the Poor on the East Side, where she had been for some time, would have been one hundred years old had she lived until next Saturday. She was born in County Donegal, Ireland, and during the illnesdd that resulted in her death retained all her faculties up to within an hour of her death. Her remains were conveyed to Maple Grove, this county, where internment took place in the Catholic cemetery at that place.

Sioux City, Ia.
Date, unknown, but has pic.


A.R. Davies, 47 years old, pharmacist of the R.J. Allen Drug, died early
Thursday morning at his home, 1719 Pierce St., after an illness of more than
six months. Mr. Davies came to Sioux City from Dubuque, Ia. 10 years ago.
He was
a member of Tyrian lodge. A.F. and A.M., and the Sioux City Consistory. He
is survived by his, widow, one daughter, Virginia Davies, of Sioux City, two
brothers, R.W. Davies of Bangor, Wis., and Hugh Davies of Big Rock, Ill. ,
and one sister, Mrs. G.H. Cooper, of Bangor. The body is in West's Funeral
Home, pending funeral arrangements.

Macon Telegraph
15 Feb 1943

Mrs. Laila Reila Fountain, wife of Daniel S. Fountain died at her home in
Bellevue last night after several months illness. She was born in Manchester
15 Dec 1912 and had made her home in Macon for the past 25 years. She was
the daughter of Robert Williams and Leona Coleman of South Carolina. Mrs.
Fountain was a member of the Tattnal Square Baptist Church.

Surviving are her husband and parents, two sons, Daniel Nathaniel Fountain
and Jimme L. Fountain; two daughters, Evelyn and Joyce Fountain.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by

Macon Telegraph
23 Mar 1930

William Elmo Drawhorn, 21, died at his home 157 Bailey Avenue yesterday
afternoon at 1:15 o'clock. He had been ill nine days with pneumonia. Mr.
Drawhorn had lived in Macon all of his ife and had been employed by the
Case-Fowler Lumber Company for several years. He was a member of the Doles
Church. Surviving are his mother, Mrs. L. E. Edwards; five brothers and
three sisters, Thomas O., B.J., H.H., and James Drawhorn, all of Macon;
Wallace Edwards, Macon; Mrs. R. J. Tidwell Macon, Misses Alma P. Drawhorn
and Helen May Edwards, of Macon. Funeral services will be held at 3 o'cock
this afternoon from Bethel Church. Rev. H.H. Mosely will conduct the
services and interment will be in the Bethel Church cemetery.

Macon Telegraph
13 Dec 1935

William N. Drawhorn, 65, farmer and stockman of 947 Montpelier Ave. died at
a local hospital at 11 p.m. Wednesday, the result of injuries received when
he was kicked by a mule in a local stock sales barn.

Funeral services will be held in the Bethel Church at 11 a.m. today. Rev.
J.R. Webb, pastor of the Cherokee Heights Methodist Church will officiate
and interment will be in the Bethel Cemetery.

Mr. Drawhorn was born in Bibb Co. and had lived here all of his life. He
was a member of the Methodist Church.

Surviving Mr. Drawhorn are a daughter, Mrs. T.E. Cox; five sisters, Mrs.
John Hardy, Lizella, Mrs. Tom Ford, Perry; Mrs. Tom Hollingsworth, Macon,
Mrs. Ed Bartlett, Oklahoma; Mrs. Jim Barnes, Macon and seven grandchildren.

Macon Telegraph
23 Mar 1930

Funeral services were held for Mrs. Idel G. Shouse at 4 o'clock yesterday
afternoon at Hart's Chapel. Rev. R. T. Russell conducted the services and
interment was in Riverside Cemetery. The following were pallbearers: T.L.
Funderburk, T.M. Funderburk, J.G. Funderburk, B. B. Shouse, Raymond Lee and
Frank Minor. Mrs. Shouse died at a local hospital at 3 o'clock Friday
morning. She had been ill several months. Surviving are her husband, three
daughters, three sons , one sister, two brothers, and mother.

Macon Telegraph
15 Feb 1943

Funeral services for William Charlie Drawhorn who died in a local hospital
at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, after an illness of several months, will be held at
the graveside in Evergreen Cemetery at 11 a.m. Monday. Mr. G.P. Rankin will

Mr. Drawhorn was born at Lizella, Feb 4, 1865, the son of W. M. Drawhorn
and Ms. Katherine Harrington Drawhorn. He was a member of the Primitive
Baptist Church.
He is survived by a brother H. D. Drawhorn of Macon.

Macon Telegraph
24 Dec 1915

Mrs. J.P. Glass, wife of J.P. Glass, died last night shortly after 8
o'clock at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. J. W. Peek in Bellevue.
Mrs. Glass is survived by her parents, her husband and two children, James
H. and Marie and several brothers and sisters. She was ill for two years.
The deceased was 40 years of age.
The services will be held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the home of
Mrs. Peek conducted by Revs. W. A. Huckaby and T.J. Herring. Interment will
be made at Bass' cemetery..

The body of Mrs. Katherine Drawhorn who died at midnight Wednesday will be
interred this afternoon in the church yard of Bethel Church at 2 o'clock.
Services conducted by Rev. T. E. Toole will be held in the church.
Mrs. Drawhorn is survived by three sons, H.D., G.O. and Charles Drawhorn.

After an illness of one week from pneumonia, Mrs. J.L. Heath died Thursday
morning at 6:30 o'clock at her mother's home in Lizella. She is survived by
her mother, Mrs. Yarbrough; her husband, two daughters, Lorie and Margorie
and one sister, Mrs. William McMillan of Atlanta.
Funeral services will be held this afternoon at Shiloh Church with Elder
Walter Heard officiating, following which interment will be made in the
church yard.

Macon Telegraph
15 Feb 1943

Funeral services for Roscoe S. Stallworth, Jr. of Gray, aviation cadet, who
died in a plane crash at Longview, Texas, were held in the chapel of Hart's
mortuary at 3 p.m. Sunday. Chaplain Charles S. Clark from Camp Wheeler
officiated and burial was in Riverside Cemetery. Military honors paid at the
grave. Pallbearers were cadets from Cochran Field. Members of the State
guard formed an honorary escort.
Mr. Stallworth was born at Macon and attended local schools, North Georgia
College at Dahlonega and Mercer University. He had been in the service since
April 1941.

RUTHERFORD REGISTER dated February 26, 1926

WILLIAM T. COOPER was born April 24, 1859, departed this life December 7, (1925) aged 66 years, 8 days; was married to SARAH ALICE BROWN December 2, 1877; to this union 11 children and a number of grandchildren. Later he married Mrs. BESSIE HORNER March 21, 1918, to this union 4 children and 4 stepchildren. Whereas, God in His wisdom and providence saw fit to take from our midst our beloved Brother COOPER who has been so faithful a worker in our church and one whom we all loved for his Christian life in our church and community. He loved his pastor, Rev. Will Zaricor. He would talk so much of his good pastor. He loved him dearly. May his mantle fall on his children that they may be true as he was to the cause of Christ. Since the Angels took my father life has been sad and lonely, but I am trusting in the God he loved and some day I will meet him again. (At this point a poem is inserted, and then this paragraph follows:)
Dear children I pray that the hand that led your dear father will lead each and every one of you to the beautiful gate and may father be first to meet you, and may you hear that welcome applause, enter into my joy, sit on my throne. This by one that knew Mr. COOPER well. He loved his neighbors, his church, his friends. May God bless every child he has.
Written by Mrs. N. J. Thompson.

December 21, 1916 Connellsville Courier

Scottdale, December 21. Jacob S. Loucks, a pioneer resident of Scottdale
and one of its foremost citizens, died at 8 o'clock this morning at his
home, 115 Walnut street, following a lingering illness. A fall which he
suffered some three weeks ago was a contributing cause. Mr. Loucks had been
in failing health for some months past.
During an active life, Mr. Loucks was largely instrumental in making
Scottdale the busy community it is. He was also an active member of the
Mennonite Church, and it was largely through his efforts that the Mennonite
Publishing House, which through the medium of 17 weekly publications carries
the gospel of the creed to all parts of the world, was brought to Scottdale.
He took an active part in the affairs of the local congregation and
contributed generously toward the construction of its church.
Mr. Loucks was interested in the company which erected the Old Meadow
rolling mill, now owned by the American Sheet & Tin Plate Company, as well
as in other prosperous enterprises. He was for a number of years associated
with Albert Keister in the flour and feed business. For years he has been a
director of the First National Bank.
He was born on the old Loucks homestead in East Huntington township on
October 20, 1829. The Loucks family was among was among the earliest to
locate in that neighborhood. His early days were spent on the farm and his
education gained in the rural schools. His early life was that of a farmer.
He was not only a good farmer, but a good business man, and accumulated
considerable property. He was generally regarded as one of Scottdale's
wealthiest residents, but this fact did not prevent him from being held in
the highest esteem by his neighbors and friends.
"He was a mighty fine old man." Was the tribute paid by an acquaintance,
when told of his death.
Mr. Loucks lived in the old homestead which occupied a large tract of land
along Broadway, just south of the general offices of the H. C. Frick Coke
Company. In addition to his home he owned many other properties in and
around Scottdale.
The funeral will be held from the Mennonite Church on Market Street at
1:30 Sunday afternoon, with interment in the Alverton cemetery.
Mr. Loucks' wife died several years ago. He is survived by the
following children: David S., Joseph R., John R., Aaron, Abraham R., George
S., Martin R. Loucks, Mrs. A.. D. Martin of Greencastle, Pa.., and Mrs. C.
A. Brilhart of Scottdale. He is also survived by two brothers, M. S., and
A. S. Loucks, and a sister, Miss Annie Loucks, all of Scottdale.

Connellsville Courier, Dec. 15, 1915

Man Who Gave H. C. Frick His Start Succumbs at the age of 81


Lost His Valuable Coal Holdings, But Later Makes Good in Transac-
tions In coal Lands; Organized Many Companies in This Section.

Abram Overholt Tinstman, pioneer coke operator of the Connellsville
region and famous throughout this section as the man who gave H. C. Frick
his start in life, died yesterday at his home in Turtle Creed as the result
of an attack of pneumonia. Mr. Tinstman was 81 years old. Mr. Tinstman was
widely known among the older residents of Connellsville, having been one of
the charter members of King Solomon Lodge of Masons. His last visit here
was in December of last year, when he attended the anniversary celebration
of King Solomon.............................
Although engaged in the coke business for only 15 years, Mr. Tinstman
gained wide prominence. For the past 30 years he had been engaged in the
buying and selling of coal properties. It was his initial venture, however,
that stamped his name indelibly upon the history of the Connellsville coke
Mr. Tinstman was born in East Huntington township, Westmoreland county
on September 13, 1864. He was educated in the common schools of his
district and proposed following the time-honored occupation of a farmer. To
this end, at the age of 25 years, he was found on the farm at Broad Ford
owned by his grandfather, A. Overholt. At that time the coke industry was
being born. James Cochran was meeting with some success in his operations
near Dawson, and Mr. Tinstman had a vision of the future of the business.
In 1865 with Joseph Rist of Pittsburg, he purchased 600 acres of
Connellsville coking coal in what later became known as the Morgan valley,
and which for many years was the real center of the coke region. Tinstman,
Rist and A. S. M. Morgan, also of Pittsburg, organized the firm of Morgan &
Company and erected 111 ovens. In 1871 Mr. Tinstman also organized the
Mount Pleasant & Broad Ford Railroad Company which he sold six years later
and which eventually was taken over by the Baltimore & Ohio.
It was in 1871 that Henry C. Frick went to work for A. Overholt as a
bookkeeper. When Tinstman and Rist, Broad Ford and 100 at Mount Pleasant
reorganized their coke company, Frick took some stock and the firm was known
as H. C. Frick & company. The company purchased 200 ovens at .....ant.
In 1873 the panic seriously affected the new-born industry. Mr. Tinstman
was particularly hard-hit. He endeavored to weather the storm, but by 1876
he had lost everything.
Defeated, but not discouraged, he endeavored to come back and this he
did a year after his failure. In 1877 he had obtained an option on 3,500
acres of Connellsville coal, which he sold at a handsome profit. In 1880 he
established the firm of A. O. Tinstman in Pittsburg and in 1881 purchased
both the Mount Braddock and Pennsville coke companies. A few years later he
disposed of all his holdings and since that time had been engaged in buying
and selling coal lands, until he retired from active business.
In 1875 Mr. Tinstman married Miss Harriet C. Markle, youngest daughter of
Gen. Cyrus Markle of Mill Grove, Westmoreland county. Mr. Tinstman, with
several other residents of Turtle Creek, organized the First Presbyterian
Church of Turtle Creek in 1875. He was a councilman in Turtle Creek for
10 years and was active in the affairs of the town until his death.
Besides his widow Mr. Tinstman leaves one son, Cyrus P. M. Tinstman of
Turtle Creek; one sister, Mrs. Anna Leasure of Greensburg, and two brothers,
J. O. Tinstman of Scottdale and C. S. O. Tinstman of Wilkinsburg.

"McRae, Ga April 15, 1949
Funeral services were held from Midway Methodist Church Thursday
afternoon for MRS REBECCA PITTS SPIRES FLETCHER, 86, who died Wednesday,
were conducted by the Rev.A.G. Heath. Mrs. Fletcher was born in Dooly
County, March 22, 1863, the daughter of the late RILEY and ELIZABETH
CUMMINGS PITTS. Surviving are the following children: MRS EMMA CLACK
of Cordele, Ga; MRS IDA MARTIN of Rochelle,Ga; MRS. LINA KNIGHT of
Thomaston,Ga; JOEL SPIRES of McRae, Ga; WARREN SPIRES of Ambrose, Ga;
MRS LUCY TOWNS of McRae, Ga; and ALEX SPIRES of Macon, Ga; and two
sisters, MRS CAMERON YANCY of Rhine, Ga; and MRS. ANNE REAVES of Milan,

Erie Times News Morning News - Friday, Oct 22, 1999

Sharon "Cheri" Lee Nolen, age 51, of 415 W. 16th Street, died Thursday,
October 21, 1999 at Millcreek Community Hospital. Wife of 10 years of
Joseph Nolen. Mother of Floyd J. Nolen; Stephen Barth, Wesley Barth and his
wife, Lisa and James Barth and his wife, Michelle; and Julia Ortiz and her
husband, Edwin, all of Erie. Stepdaughter of Nancy Kovaly, Phoenix, AZ.
Niece of Grace Wood, Meadville, PA; Sister of Kathleen McHenry and her
husband Michael, Livingston Manor, NY; Stephen Kovaly and his wife, Rae
Marie, Erie, and Robert Kovaly and his wife, Wendy, Phoenix, AZ. 11
Grandchildren also survive. Friends may call at the Burton Funeral Home,
602 West Tenth Street, Sunday 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. and are invited to
services Monday at 1 p.m. at Henderson United Methodist Church, 2004
Camphausen Avenue with Reverend Joe Epperson officiating. Memorials may be
made to Henderson United Methodist Church, 2004 Camphausen Avenue, Erie, PA

The Macon Telegraph Sat. Jan. 29, 1966

Mrs Hoyt J. Waters

Funeral services for Mrs. Hoyt J. Waters, 73 of Danville, who died in a
local hospital, will be held at 11 a.m. today in the Mt. Zion Baptist
Church where the body will lie in state from 10:30 to 11:00 a.m.
The Rev. W. L. Etheridge and the Rev. A. T. Faircloth will
Burial will be in the Lee Cemetery in Twiggs County.
Pallbearers will include james Asbell, Thomas Lee, Emmett Asbell,
Bobby Burns and George Asbell.
Mrs. Waters was born in Twiggs County, the daughter of George E.
Asbell and Mrs. Georgia Ann Davis Asbell, and had lived there all her
life. She was a member of the Danville Baptist Church, a charter member
of the Cannon Home Demonstration Club and a chapter member of the
Eastern Star.
Surviving are her husband, H. J. Waters, Danville; one son, H. J.
Waters, Jr. of Macon; one daughter, Mrs. C. G. Brice of Atlanta; four
grandchildren; two brothers, E. E. Asbell and Horace Asbell, both of
Macon; one sister, Mrs. Thomas Lee of Danville; and several nieces and
Hart's Mortuary is in charge of arrangements.

From an unknown Darke Co., Ohio newspaper 7/6/1923

Aged Farmer Dies At City Hospital

Joshua Townsend well known Darke County farmer died at 7:50 this
morrning at the City Hospital following a lingering illness. Mr
Townsend was a sufferer with gall stones and yellow jaundice. He was 73
years, 1 month and ten days old at the time of his death.

The deceased was taken to the hospital the first of this week in a very
serious condition.

Mr. Townsend has been a life long resident of Darke County and has been
a farmer all his life. He resided southeast of Woodington.

He is survived by his wife Samantha Townsend, two sons and two

Funeral services for the deceased will be conducted by Rev. C. W.
Woodington, one o'clock Sunday Hoeffer at the Christian Church in

Burial will be in the Greenville cemetery.

Also, from an unknown Darke Co., Ohio newspaper after 7/8/1923

Joshua Pelina Townsand, was born near Abbottsville, Darke Co, Ohio, May 26,
1850, and died in the Greenville Hospital July 6th 1923. Aged 73 yrs. 1
month and 10 days. He was one of two children and is survived by the
brother Jonathon of Twin Bridge Montana. He was married to Samantha
Smith over fifty years ago: five children were the result of this union
one of whom preceded Father in death almost fifty years ago. Those who
survive him are Mrs. Otie Lytle, of Arcanum Enas, of Weavers Station,
Melvin, of Richmond Ind. and Miss Hazel of New York City.

After his marriage, they located on a farm one mile east of Woodington,
where he remained up to the time of his death. His parents were
Pioneers of Darke Co. and were widely and well known in an early day
throughout the county. Mr. Townsand had a limb broken ten weeks be for
his death from which his fatal illness resulted. He was very patient
during his sickness and said he was ready to go and from the first said,
he could not recover.

He was a kind husband, an indulgent father, and an obliging Neighbor and
so far as known he hadn't an enemy in the world. He leaves an aged wife
Two daughters, Two sons, one brother, two grandchildren and many other
relatives and friends to mourn his departure.

The funeral services were held at the Christian Church in Woodington
Sunday July 8th at one o'clock. Sermon by Rev. C.W. Heoffer, of
Palestine. The body was buried in the Greenville Cemetory.

Greenville Daily Advocate 7/16/1909

Obituary - North

Brother Thomas Jefferson North, son of Benjamin and Jane North, was born
in Fairfield county, Ohio, November 14, 1834, and died in Greenville,
July 13, 1909, at 12:30 p.m., aged 74 years, 7 months and 29 days. He
was one of eight children, he being the eldest child, three of whom
preceded him to the spirit world. He came to Darke county at the age of
21 years and has been a resident of the county up to the time of his

He was married to Sarah Smith January 17th, 1861. To this union were
born 7 children, four of whom preceded him to the life across the border

When rebellion threatened the division and ruin of this fair land, Bro.
North shouldered his musket and went to the front. He enlistened in Co.
A, 61st Ohio Volunteers, on the 13th of November 1861 and was
discharged on the 7th day of February, 1864. He reinlisted on the 3d
day of February, 1864 in the 82d Regiment, Company B and was discharged
on the 24th of July, 1865, being in the service from the beginning to
the close of the war.

Brother North united with the Church of Christ at Concord a few miles
east of Greenville about thirty five years ago, and was baptized by Rev.
Trobridge, and was a faithful Christian. He was a quiet, conservative
man, attending to his own affairs and strictly carrying out the Golden
Rule in the spirit of his Master.

In his death the community loses a good citizen, the wife and children a
devoted husband and father and Jobes Post a brave and honored comrade.

He leaves to mourn his departure a faithful wife, one daughter, two
sons, three grandchildren, three sisters, one brother and many other
relatives and friends.

The funeral services were held from the Christian Church Thursday
afternoon, July 15th, at 3 o'clock. Sermon on the occasion by Rev. C.
W. Heoffer, of Richmond, Ind., assisted by Jobes' Post. The body was
interred in the Greenville Cemetery.

From an unknown Darke Co., Ohio newspaper 9/6/1939

Coleman Smith, 85, Dead; Rites Friday

Veteran Ditch Contractor Lived in Greenville.

Coleman Smith, 85 years old, veteran Darke county ditch contractor, died
at 1:30 a.m. today at the Carter Rest Home, 200 Washington Avenue,
Greenville, after a lingering illness.

A native of Darke County, Smith had spent his entire life in or near

His wife, Alice, ided several years ago. Nephews and nieces are the
only survivors.

The remains have been removed to the Turpen-McKnight funeral home, 214
West Fourth street, where services will be conducted at two p.m.
Friday. The Rev. Raymond Ottensmyer will officiate. Burial will be in
Beamsville cemetery.

Greenville Daily Advocate 9/1/1934

Death Comes To Aged Resident

Mrs. Ruth Lecklider, 84, Dies at Nephew's Home Here Friday Morning -
Leaves Nephew and One Brother - Funeral Rites Monday.

Mrs. Ruth Lecklider, 84, died at the home of her nephew, O.A. North, 401
Euclid avenue, Friday morning at 8:30. Death was the result of an
extended illness.

The deceased is survived by her nephew, O.A. North of this city and a
brother, Coleman Smith of Arcanum, Ohio.

Funeral services will be held from the C.J. Miller funeral home,
Greenville, Monday morning at 10 o'clock. Interment at the Beamsville

Obituary Sarah Smith North
from an unknown Darke County, Ohio newspaper before 11/14/1923

Aged Widow Dies Monday

Mrs. Sarah North, 79, Passes Away At Her Residence.

Mrs. Sarah North, died at her residence, 307 13th Street Monday morning
at 4:50 o'clock. The deceased was a widow and 79 years, 6 months and 11
days old at death.

She is survived by one son O.A. North of Greenville and one daughter,
Mrs. Lydia O'Brien of Greenville, four sisters, Mrs. Julia Bolton of
Winona Lake, Ind., Sintha Thompson, Ruth A. Lecklider, and Jennie E.
Smith all of Greenville, and one brother Coleman Smith of Greenville
also survive the deceased.

Funeral will be Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. at the house by Rev. C.W.
Hoeffer. Burial will be in Greenville Cemetery.

From an unknown Darke Co., Ohio newspaper, about 11/18/1923

Mrs. Townsend Dies at Her Residence

Samantha E. Townsend, 71, Passes Away Rather Suddenly

Mrs. Samantha E. Townsend, wife of Joshua Townsend died rather suddenly
at 5:30 'clock Monday morning at her residence 401 Euclid Avenue. She
was aged 71 years, 9 months, and 13 days. Though in poor health for
some time, Mrs. Townsend's death is a sudden and severe shock to her
many friends. Her sad demise came just a little more than a week
following the death of her older sister, Mrs. Sarah North who passed
away last Saturday a week ago.

The deceased is survived by her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Frank Lytle
of Arcanum, Miss Hazel Townsend of New York City and three sisters Mrs.
Coleman Smith and Ruth Lecklider of Greenville and Julia Bolten of
Winona Lake, Indiana.

Funeral services will be conducted by Rev. C. W. Hoeffer at Woodington
Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Interment in the Greenville Cemetery.

from an unknown Darke County, Ohio newspaper after 11/18/1923

Obituary - North

Mrs. Sarah North daughter of Coleman and Lydia Smith was born near
Castine, Darke County Ohio May 1 1844 and died at her late home 307 13th
St. Greenville, Ohio Nov. 11, 1923. Aged 79 years, 6 months and 12
days. She was one of eight children, two of whom preceded her to the
spirit world. Those surviving her are, Mrs. Julia Bolten of Winona
Ind., Mrs. Jennie Smith, Coleman Smith, Mrs. Ruth Lecklider, Mrs.
Samantha Townsend (now deceased) married to Thomas North, Jan. 17 all of
Greenville, Ohio. She was 1861. Seven children was the result of this
union. Five of whom together with her husband preceded her in death.
The two children who survive her are, Mrs. Smith O'Brien and Otto A.
North both of Greenville, Ohio. Mother North spent the whole of her
life in Darke County with the exception of a few years when she lived on
the Indiana side of the state line near Union City. She united with the
Desciple Church at Concord 50 years ago. Though the Church organization
disbanded years ago at that place, yet mother North remained trueto her
faith and died in the hope of a better world. She was a true wife and
mother, and a good kind neighbor and friend, and her place in the home
will be sadly missed. She leaves to mourn her departure, one daughter,
one son, four sisters, one brother, three grand children, four great
grand children and manf other relatives and friends. The funeral
services were held from her late home 307 13th St. Wednesday Nov. 14 at
3 P.M. Sermon by Rev. C.W. Heoffer of Palestine. The body was buried
in the Greenville Cemetery.

From an unknown Darke Co., Ohio newspaper 11/21/1923

Obituary - Townsend

Mrs. Samantha Eunice Townsend was born in Michigan Feb. 6, 1852 and died
at the home of Mrs. Jane Smith at 401 Euclid Ave. Greenville, Ohio Nov.
18, 1923. Aged 71 years, 9 months and 12 days. She was the daughter of
Coleman and Lydia Smith and was one of 9 children, four of whom preceded
her in death. Those surviving her are, Mrs. Julia Bolton of Winona
Lake, Ind., Mrs. Ruth Lecklider, Mrs. Jane Smith, and Coleman Smith all
of Greenville, Ohio. She was married to Joshua Townsend about 53 years
ago; five children was the result of this union one of whom preceded
mother to the better life. Those surviving her are, Mrs. Otis A. Lytle,
of Arcanum, Ohio, Enos B., of Weavers Station, Coleman M., of Richmond,
Ind., and Miss Lola Hazel, of New York City. Mother Townsend united
with the German Reformed Church at Bethel about 50 years ago, though the
Organization has disbanded years ago, yet she retained her faith in God,
and in the saving Gospel of Christ. She was a true wife and mother, and
a kind and obliging neighbor and friend. Her husband was buried last
July the 8th, and her sister, Mrs. North 6 days ago. She leaves to
mourn her departure, two daughters, two sons, three sisters, one
brother, four grand children and other other relatives and ...

The Daily News Tribune, Friday, Dec. 31, 1926

Mrs. J. S. Boltin Passed Away Early Today

Well Known Former Resident of This City Died at Greenville Hospital With
Pneumonia at 6:40 O'Clock This Morning. Visiting Sister Here Over

Mrs. Juliette Smith Boltin, aged former resident of Greenville died at
6:40 o'clock this morning at the hospital in this city with pneumonia.
Mrs. Boltin, whose late home was at Wiona Lake, Indiana was visiting
over the Christmas season with her sister Mrs. Ruth Lecklider at 407
Wayne Avenue, when she was stricken seriously ill. The deceased woman
was 84 years, 3 months and 13 days of age.

She leaves to mourn their great loss, four daughters, Dora, Lois,
Florence, and Mabel, two sisters, Mrs. Lecklider of this city and Miss
Jeanett Smith and one brother Coleman Smith.

Services will be held Monday morning at 10 o'clock at Mrs. Lecklider's
home with Rev. Etter officiating. Internment in the Beamsville
Greenville Daily Advocate, Friday, Dec. 31, 1926

Pneumonia is Fatal to Aged Visitor

Mrs. Julia Smith Boltin of Winona Lake, Ind., Who Came Here to Visit
Relatives Two Months Ago, Passes Away Friday Morning After a Week's

Mrs. Julia Smith Boltin, 86, a former resident of this city, died Friday
morning at 6:40 at the Greenville hospital, after an illness of a week,
from pneumonia.

Mrs. Boltin, whose home is in Winona Lake, Ind., came here two months
ago for a visit with her sister Mrs. Ruth Lecklider, 407 Euclid Ave. and
her illness followed.

The deceased lady was born in Darke county, and spent her early life
here in this vicinity. She is survived by four daughters, Dana, Lois,
Florence and Mabel, two sisters, Mrs. Lecklider and Miss Jennie Smith,
and a brother, Coleman Smith, all of Greenville.

Funeral services at the home of Mrs. Lecklider Monday morning at 10
o'clock, Rev. Etter, officiating. Burial in the Greenville cemetery.

Erie PA Times dated Friday, August 14, 1970

J. Thomas Raine, 75 of RD 2 Fairview and Kanoehe, Hawaii, died Wednesday evening at St. Vincent Hospital
Born in Clarion, Feb. 23, 1895, he was the son of the late Thomas William and Kate Zhanheizer Raine. He lived in Fairview Township most of his life.
He was an Elder and Trustee in the United Presbyterian Church of Fairview. He was honored in 1968 for more than 50 years service for the church. He was a past master of Lake Erie Lodge No. 347, F. & A. M. Girard.
Mr. Rain was a member of the Consistory Lodge Shrine in Erie,, a member of the Rotary Club, Erie, the Yacht Club of Honolulu, the Erie Club and the Kahkwa Club. He was on the Board of Incorporators for the Fairview Cemetery. He was Secretary-Treasurer of Titan Tool Co. in Fairview.
Mr. Raine is survived by one brother. J. W. Raine of Alderson, W. Va. and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Mrs. Mary Taylor and Mrs. Anna Ferguson and one brother, Mont. Buriel in Fairfiew Cemetery

Charles Comara
Services will be held Friday at 8:30 am at the Leon S. Rzepka Funeral Home. 701 East Ave. for Charles Comara, 77, a resident of the Pennsylvania Soldiers and Sailors Home, who died Wednesday at the Home.
He had been a resident of the home since 1967
Mr. Comara was a veteran of World War I. He served as a corporal with Co. F. 18th Regiment.
He is survived by one son, Edward J. Comara. of Blawnox, PA. Buriel will be in Home Cemetery

Mrs. Andrzejczak
Mrs. Maryann Andrzejczak, 69, of 640 E 37, died Thurs. at her home.
A lifteime resident of Erie, she was a member of the Holy Rosary Society of St. Stanislaus Parish.
She was preceeded in death by her husband, Ignatius in 1964. Mrs. Andrzejczak is survived by one son, John of Fairview, one sister, Mrs. Josephine Malinowski and one brother Adam Gorny, both of Erie and 3 grandchildren. Buriel will be in Trinity Cemetery.

JAN. 11, 1931-OCT. 7, 1999

Bulford Clyde Montgomery, Sr., 68, of San Diego died Thursday. Mr
Montgomery, who was born in Kansas, was retired after working as a materials
engineer. He was a member of Kansas Wesleyan University Alumnus and the

He is survived by two daughters, Heather Montgomery of San Diego and
Stacy A. Montgomery of El Cajon.

Services 5 p.m. tomorrow at El Cajon First Presbyterian Church, 500
Farragut Circle, El Cajon. Memorial donations: San Diego Blood Bank or
America Diabetes Association. Arrangements: Balboa Cremation Services.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: