Miscellaneous Animal People Obituaries


M. Alicia Melgaard, linguist, World War II codebreaker and translator, and 20-year volunteer for the Dona Ana County Humane Society, died August 10 in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Founder of the DACHS neutering fund, Melgaard was also on the advisory board of the Foundation for Animal Protection, of Brookfield, Connecticut. “Alicia gave us credit for new ideas from our publications, lobbying, and obsession with spay/neuter,” FAP founder Mildred Lucas wrote, “but it was she who inspired us.”  (1996)

Harald A. Rehder, 89, discoverer of more than 300 mollusk species, died November 10 in Washington D.C. On the staff of the Smithsonian Institution, 1932-1976, Rehder was curator of the division of mollusks, 1946-1965, and senior zoologist, 1965-1976. A founding member of the American Malacological Union, Rehder was AMU president in 1941.  (1996)

Charmaine Stansfield, remembered by St. Francis of Assisi Animal Rescue, of Morgan Hill, California, as “a great friend to animals who donated both time and talent to SFAAR over the years, particularly while we were building our low-cost spay/neuter clinic,” died October 1. (1996)

Stephen Leatherwood, who with Randall R. Reeves co-edited the Sierra Club Handbook of Whales and Dolphins (1983 and updates), died January 25 of lymphoma. Formerly senior research biologist for the Hubbs Marine Research Institute, Leatherwood spent his last years with the Ocean Park Conservation Foundation in Hong Kong, as representative of the Cetacean Specialist Group within the International Union for the Conservation of Nature. His special project was seeking the survival of the baiji, or Chinese river dolphin. "There are no truly reliable numbers on the size of baiji populations," Leatherwood warned in November 1995. "Published estimates indicate a decline from 400 or so in the late 1970s, to 300 or so in the mid-1980s, to 120 or so in 1993. However, the first carefully planned and coordinated survey of the species' entire range, about 1,200 miles, from Shanghai to Yichang, employing a large vessel in mid-channel and one smaller vessel along each shore, resulted in sightings of only five baiji. Even accounting for animals missed, it is difficult to conclude that the population is more than a few dozen animals. This is not being taken passively," Leatherwood continued. "An eleventh hour effort is underway to capture as many of the remaining dolphins as possible and move them into Shi Shou Seminatural Reserve, a 24-square-mile oxbow of the Yangtze. There are no guarantees, but we are trying." The one dolphin at the reserve now is a male, who has been there for 18 years. In December 1995, after three years of trying, the baiji recovery team captured a second dolphin, a female­­but on June 23, 1996, she drowned in one of the nets that encloses the protected site. Looming over the whole question of baiji survival, meanwhile, is the impending construction of the Three Gorges Dam across the upper Yangtse, one of biggest engineering projects ever undertaken, with almost incalculable potential impact. "The line from Chinese scientists in 1987-1992," Leatherwood told ANIMAL PEOPLE, "was that it would damage 25% of the habitat and affect 10% to 30% of the population. Then, after the official resumption of construction and a series of official government meetings to evaluate the evidence, all Chinese scientists magically shifted to the view that the dam is no problem." One way or another," Leatherwood said, "The Yangtse has been sacrificed to development. It is only a matter of time before the baiji, the most visible symbol of loss, disappears from the fetid flow. Who knows what else will spin down the vortex?"  (1997)

Paul E. Tsongas, 55, former U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and Democratic presidential candidate in the 1992 primaries, died January 18 of cancer. Forced out of the 1992 presidential race by questions about his health, Tsongas left the Senate in 1984 during a battle with another form of cancer. As a lobbyist, Tsongas represented the Massachusetts SPCA, the Humane Society of the U.S, and the Sierra Club. "I think I can speak for research animals because I've been one for the past three years," Tsongas reportedly said at one point. "Even when the animals are informed about the procedure, and have given their consent, the animals are scared." Because of Tsongas' work on biomedical research issues, the Illinois Medical Society asked the medical and research professions to oppose his presidential candidacy.  (1997)

Sue Royal, executive director of the White Mountain Humane Society in Pinetop, Arizona, died in December. (1996)

Judi Bari, 47, leader of the 1990 Earth First! "Redwood Summer" protests, died March 2 of cancer at her cabin in Willits, California. Born in Balitmore, Bari left studies at the University of Maryland circa 1969 to dedicate heself to anti-Vietnam War protest. Moving into labor organizing, she led a successful wildcat strike at a U.S. Postal Service bulk mail facility but failed in an attempt to unionize grocery store clerks. Relocating to northern California in 1979, Bari became a carpenter­­and became locally controversial for her pro-choice position on abortion. She joined Earth First! in 1987, upon learning the age of the tree that furnished some of the redwood siding she was installing on a house. Bari emerged as voice of the strongest faction within Earth First! after cofounder Dave Foreman was arrested in 1989 and eventually convicted on a plea bargain for conspiracy in connction with a plot apparently hatched chiefly by two FBI undercover operatives to blow up electrical transmission lines in rural Arizona. Under Foreman, formerly a mainstream hunter/conservationist, Earth First! was often perceived as tree-huggers opposing loggers. Bari, said longtime friend Anna Marie Stenberg, "made the connection between the exploitation of the forests and the exploitation of the workers." Convincing the California chapter of Earth First! to renounce tree-spiking, "She was successful in driving a wedge between the companies and the workers," Georgia-Pacific spokesperson Dave Odgers acknowledged in 1990. However, on May 24, 1990, as Bari and musician/activist Darryl Cherney drove through Oakland, California, on their way to Santa Cruz to drum up support for "Redwood Summer," a nail bomb detonated under the seat of Bari's car. Cherney escaped with minor injuries, but a shattered pelvis and lower back injuries left Bari permanently disabled. Although no evidence ever linked Bari and Cherney to the bomb, both were arrested within hours for allegedly possessing it. The charges were later dropped. Local media and private investigators eventually named three other potential suspects, who allegedly had histories of having threatened Bari, but no other arrests were made. A year later, Bari and Cherney sued the FBI for allegedly destroying evidence, misrepresenting the facts of the case to media, ignoring the death threats issued against Bari, and withholding evidence from the investigators representing Bari and Cherney. The case is still pending. Despite her injuries, Bari remained among the most visible Earth First! leaders until her death, as Foreman resigned in August 1990. A lifelong Republican, Foreman told media he was uncomfortable with Bari's "class-struggle, left/counterculture approach," and returned to mainstream lobbying.  (1997)

Floy Mae Seales, wife of John Seales, longtime animal services director for Hot Springs, Arkansas, died February 9 of cancer. "In March 1978," John Seales recalled, "I expressed to my wife that I had just about had it up to my neck with the job," which he undertook after founding the first animal shelter in Vietnam some years earlier. "'This is the dirtiest job I have ever done,' I said. 'More complaints than I have ever heard, and the most thankless job in the world.' She looked at me and made a very soft statement: 'Why don't you try to make a difference?' That was the turning point of my career. Because of my wife, I was able to see things in a more positive way. As I look around my spacious office, and walk through our new modern animal shelter, which they named after me, I owe it to Floy Mae."  (1997)

Daniel Pratt Mannix, 85, died January 29 in Malvern, Pennsylvania. Keeping a menagerie as a teenager that included porcupines, hawks, and vultures, Mannix became a traveling carnival performer after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, and went on to careers as a professional hunter and collector of wildlife for zoos and circuses, before writing more than two dozen books, including Backyard Zoo, All Creatures Great And Small (not to be confused with the James Herriot book of the same title), Tales of the African Frontier, and as his views on hunting shifted, The Fox And The Hound, which became a strongly anti-hunting 1981 Walt Disney animated film.  (1997)

Edith Hurd, 86, died January 27 in Walnut Creek, California. Hurd was author/illustrator of more than 50 books for children, often collaborating with her late husband Clement, who died in 1988. Among her many animal-related titles were The Blue Heron Tree, The Mother Whale, and The Mother Deer.  (1997)

Vero C. Wynne-Edwards, 90, died January 5 in Banchory, Scotland. Wynne-Edwards revolutionized human understanding of evolution with his 1962 book Animal Dispersion in Relation to Social Behavior, which argued that instead of operating solely through individual survival of the fittest, evolution also occurs as result of the self-regulatory mechanisms of whole species, manifested in territoriality, dominance hierarchies, and allocation of resources. Wynne-Edwards postulated that evolution often favors not the animal best able to survive alone, but rather the animal best adapted to survive within the social context of the kind. A 1927 graduate of the New College at Oxford, Wynne-Edwards taught zoology at McGill University in Montreal, 1930-1946, formulating his then-controversial theories while studying how seabird populations disperse at sea. He then served as Regius Professor of Natural History at Aberdeen University in Scotland, 1946-1974. Wynne-Edwards was elected to the Royal Society in 1970, received the Royal Society's Neill Prize in 1973, and capped his career by receiving the Frink Medal of the Zoological Society of London in 1980. (1997) 

Joseph Kastner, 89, died February 6 (1997) at his home in Grandview-on-Hudson, New York. A writer and editor for Life magazine, 1936-1969, Kastner authored A Species of Eternity, a history of early North American nature study which was nominated for the 1977 National Book Award; A World of Watchers, a 1987 history of birdwatching in America; and the text for two anthologies of visual material from the New York Public Library collection, The Bird Illustrated, 1550-1900 (1989) and The Animal Illustrated, 1550-1900 (1991). 

Beryl Reed, 76, who died in October 1996, left her cottage on the Thames and about $5,000 to fellow actor Paul Strike, 48, the London Times disclosed on February 4­­on condition that he care for the six survivors among her onetime colony of 13 cats. Reed described them in The Cat's Whiskers, a volume of her memoirs. "I arranged for her to get one of her cats from a Chinese restaurant because she didn't think he was happy. The others were strays who had been neglected or thrown out on the street and ended up at animal shelters," Strike said. Neighbor Edward Baty described Strike as "stupid about cats­­he just loves them." 

Robert Dorsey, 71, described by Philadelphia Inquirer staff writer Andy Wallace as “an irrepressible animal love whose favorite line to new acquaintances was that he worked in the biggest cathouse in town,” died March 4 in Philadelphia. A former cab driver, Dorsey took a job as an assistant laborer at the Philadelphia Zoo circa 1972, when the Yellow Cab drivers went on strike, cleaned reptile cages until promoted to assistant keeper, and then advanced again, becoming keeper of felines. Dorsey retired in 1987, but remained active on behalf of the zoo and the Pennsylvania SPCA. “His idea of a day out was to visit the SPCA, and he took us there countless times,” son Timothy Dorsey told Wallace.  

Paula S. Andreder, American SPCA director of counseling services since 1992, died in November 1996 from breast cancer. According to the spring 1997 edition of the ASPCA publication Animal Watch, “Andreder was instrumental in working with fellow staff on the 1994-1995 Companion Animal Mourning Project, which offered original research into mourning behavior among pets who had experienced the death of another animal residing in the household.”  
William Manning, vice president of the West Volusia Humane Society in Deland, Florida, died November 21.  

Richard F. Marsh, 58, died on March 21 of cancer at home in Middleton, Wisconsin. A University of Wisconsin at Madison veterinary virologist, Marsh warned in 1986 after tracing the origins of a mink spongiform encephalopathy epidemic on Wisconsin fur farms that feeding the rendered remains of sheep or cattle to other sheep or cattle as a protein supplement could produce a similar brain disease––and that the then completely unknown transmission agent could not be sterilized out. The cattle industry denounced Marsh as an alarmist even as an epidemic of just such a disease, bovine spongiform encepalopathy, broke out in England. Marsh lobbied on for a ban on the use of ruminant renderings as animal feed. His position was vindicated; the USDA has now proposed such a ban, expected to take effect this summer.  
Laura Nyro, 49, singer and songwriter whose “later songs exalted pacifism, feminism, and animal rights,” according to New York Times obituarist Stephen Holden, died of ovarian cancer on April 8 at her home in Danbury, Connecticut. Born Laura Nigro in Bronx, New York, the daughter of a jazz trumpeter, Nyro changed her name before making her professional folksinging debut at age 18 in San Francisco. Shouted off stage at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, she recovered to write her first of many hits for others within the year, and within another year produced Eli and the Thirteenth Confession, an autobiographical album Holden remembered as “unlike anything that had been heard in pop music,” which “laid the groundwork for a female-dominated genre of quirky, reflective songwriting that continues to this day.”  (1997)

Paul Steel, 70, and his wife Beverly, 69, of Santa Fe, New Mexico, froze to death on March 5, Beverly’s birthday, after venturing off a cross-country ski trail in the Santa Fe National Forest to seek their temporarily missing keeshond. They told an attendant they were going to look for the dog; the attendant called rescuers to start a search after finding the dog guarding their car the next morning.  
  Sally Jones, 47, a chimpanzee shot, wounded, and captured in Africa as an infant circa 1950, died March 21 at the Fund for Animals’ Black Beauty Ranch in Texas. Sterile because of her gunshot wounds, she walked upright, performed ballet steps, and bicycled in circuses until 1970. Acquired by the Institute for Primate Studies in Norman, Oklahoma, where she met her longtime companion Nim Chimpsky, she participated in behavioral and cognitive research at the University of Oklahoma for the next 13 years. Sally and Nim came to Black Beauty in 1982, after the sale of the rest of their colony to the Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Surgery in Primates, at New York University. One of the oldest chimps in the U.S., Sally had suffered from diabetes since 1993. “She will be fondly missed,” said Black Beauty manager Chris Byrne.  (1997)

Count Maurice Rudolph Coreth von und zu Coredo und Starkenberg, 67, identified by both The London Times and The New York Times in closely parallel obituaries as “a charming raconteur” who “mastered the persuasive art of fundraising,” after starting an organization called Rhino Rescue, died February 11 in England. Reputedly trying to join the British cavalry at age 10, at the outset of World War II, the Austrian-born Coreth “rode to hounds with the York and Ainsty and at the age of 21, became Master of the Wilton,” said The London Times, meaning he bore much of the cost of maintaining the hunt. “He was also a skilled showjumper and a courageous steeplechaser,” The London Times continued, “and later in life he was to win the Kenya Grand National.” Becoming an avid trophy hunter on a visit to Sierra Leone, Coreth “was proud to be the first private sport hunter invited to become an honorary member of the East African Professional Hunters’ Association,” The London Times added. After farming in Kenya, 1954-1963, and spending some years as a yachtsman, Coreth in 1985 “attended a meeting of the Shikar Club, a group of former African and Indian hunters living in Britain,” the Associated Press said, “and listened to a speech about the number of rhinos killed by poaching. A year later Mr. Coreth founded Rhino Rescue.” Asserted the London Times, “Combining single-minded dedication to the cause with winning charm and energetic fundraising, Coreth focused world attention on the plight of the black rhino. If the black rhino has a future it will be more due to Coreth than almost anyone else.” But according to the London Telegraph of June 3, 1996, the first Kenyan rhino sanctuary, the Solio Ranch, was begun in 1966, while Anna Merz founded the noted Ngare Sergoi Rhino Sanctuary in 1983, using her own money. The latter reputedly inspired eight other sanctuaries; it is possible Coreth was associated with one of them. Newsday on April 19, 1988 reported the February 1988 formation of the Rhino Rescue Fund by Kenyan zoologist David Western, now director of Kenya Wildlife Services. The Platinum Wildlife Foundation, sponsored by Platinum Technology, of Lombard, Illinois, advertised support of a Black Rhino Rescue project in 1992 and 1995. Otherwise, an extensive search of the World Wide Web and ANIMAL PEOPLE archives, including New York Times rhino-related coverage, 1988-present, found nothing to confirm the obituary claims. The London Times concluded that, “At the time of his death, Coreth was embarking on a project to save the tiger and the one-horned rhino in India, a task which his son Mark now hopes to fulfill.”   (1997)

Peter Charles Stewart, 41, of Balboa, California, winner of a Genesis Commendation from the Ark Trust for his Endangered Species Mural series, died February 6. Stewart actively supported the Ark Trust, Orange County People for Animals, the Earth Angel Parrot Sanctuary, the Fund for Wild Nature, the Rainforest Action Network, and the Orangutan Foundation, according to OCPA president Ava Park, who was also his business manager during his last year of life. “Peter leaves behind his well-known companion, the blue-fronted Amazon parrot Jack, who accompanied Peter everywhere on his shoulder,” Park remembered. Jack was adopted by Lorin Lindner of the Earth Angel Parrot Sanctuary.  
Lew Dietz, 90, died on April 27 in Rockport, Maine. After unsuccessful careers as a would-be Paris-based foreign correspondent in the 1920s and New York advertising copywriter in the 1930s, Dietz in midlife became a popular author of magazine features about hunting, fishing, and trapping, and authored the five-volume “Jeff White” action/adventure series around hunting, fishing, and trapping themes during the 1950s. Dietz enjoyed his greatest success, however, when in 1975 he teamed with his longtime friend Harry Goodridge, the Rockport harbormaster, to coauthor A Seal Called Andre, about the successful rescue and rehabilitation of a young harbor seal who was orphaned by a fishnet. Although Andre learned to survive in the wild, he returned to Rockport annually for 15 years to spend his summers clowning for tourists at the Rockport docks. The book eventually inspired the 1995 Paramount film Andre, which conveys an anti-hunting message.    (1997)

Joan DeWind, 82, a founding member of the Xerces Society, died on April 27 at her home in Sherman, Connecticut, of complications from childhood polio. A psychiatric social worker by profession, DeWind was by avocation among the world’s leading experts on sphinx moths, a consulting volunteer to the American Museum of Natural History, a designer of butterfly gardens, and founder of the Naromi Land Trust.  
Lesley Scott-Ordish, 62, founder of the British organizations Pro Dogs and Pets As Therapy, died of cancer on March 26, one day after her birthday. Pro Dogs, begun in 1976, annually honors heroic dogs, funds research into canine diseases, provides bereavement counselling, and lobbies for humane treatment of dogs. In 1982, Scott-Ordish helped start a second organization, Dogs For The Deaf, and then began Pets As Therapy a year later, upon discovering the loneliness of elderly persons who were deprived of their pets upon entering nursing homes. Scott-Ordish bred English setters, to which “she herself bore a resemblance,” according to The London Times, and was author of Cocker Spaniels: An Owner’s Guide, published in 1996.   (1997)

Jacques Cousteau, 87, died June 25. Often ill as a child, Cousteau swam for his health near his home in St. Andre de Cubzac, France. He first dived in 1920 on a visit to Lake Harvey, Vermont, but only began diving in earnest after a 1936 car crash forced him to leave the French Naval Academy flight school. With engineer Emile Gagnan, Cousteau in 1943 invented the aqualung and took up underwater filming, earning the French Legion of Honor for anti-Nazi espionage.In 1950 Cousteau bought the minesweeper Calypso and re-equipped it as a floating film and TV studio.  
The screen edition of his first book, The Silent World (1953), won the Grand Prize at the 1956 Cannes Film Festival and his first of three Academy Awards. Cousteau initially touted the oceans’ economic potential, but reinvented himself as the world’s most prominent and popular ecological crusader in The Living Sea (1963) and World Without Sun (1965), along with the ABC specials, The World of Jacques Cousteau (1966) and The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau (1968). “The only creatures on Earth who have bigger and maybe better brains than humans are the Cetacea, the whales and dolphins,” Cousteau often repeated, sparking the “save the whales” movement. “Perhaps they could one day tell us something important, but it is unlikely that we will hear it, because we are coldly, efficiently and economically killing them off.” As whale-saving grew into earth-saving, Cousteau spoke out against the nuclear arms race, noted often that human population had quintupled within his lifetime, and encouraged population planning but warned fellow anti-population crusaders that becoming involved in the abortion issue would be suicidal. Forming the Cousteau Society, based in Norfolk, Virginia, Cousteau and company won 40 Emmy nominations for their PBS series Cousteau Odyssey (1977) and Turner Broadcasting System series, Cousteau Amazon (1984). In part due to his own success in raising appreciation of the sacredness of life, Cousteau took hits from the animal rights movement in later years over aspects of his early work, “We’ve learned since then,” Cousteau acknowledged in a 1986 interview with Louise B. Parks of the Houston Chronicle. “It’s horrifying when I see what we used to do. We didn’t know better. We used to chase whales. Now when we spot the whales, we stop and wait for them to come to us. But we were learning. As we learned, we helped create the legislation that tells people how to behave toward mammals in the sea. If you look at the law today and our shows 15 years ago, we would go to jail.” Denouncing the capture of cetaceans for exhibit, Cousteau in 1991 opened the Paris-based Parc Oceanique Cousteau, the world’s first high-tech oceanarium without animals, but by 1994 it was out of business, partly because rapid advances in technology had already rendered much of it obsolete. Cousteau’s later years were saddened by the 1979 death of eldest son Philippe in a seaplane crash, the 1990 death of first wife Simone Melchior, and a bitter lawsuit against second son Jean-Michel, 57, over use of the Cousteau name in connection with a Fijian resort. Cousteau also had two children, Diane, 16, and Pierre-Yves, 14, with his second wife, France Triplet.  
George Wald, 90, Harvard biologist who won the 1967 Nobel Prize in medicine for discovering the biochemical reactions that produce vision, died April 12 in Cambridge, Massachsetts. A longtime advisor to the Farm Animal Reform Movement, Wald was “deeply involved in a number of social issues, including peace, nuclear power, and child and animal welfare,” according to FARM president Alex Hershaft.      (1997)

Gloria Blevins, 72, longtime adoption counselor for the San Diego County Department of Animal Control, who died in April, was memorialized in June by an anonymous gift of $100,000 to the shelter. “Gloria had a passion for saving all the animals she could, and in the end that number reached into the thousands,” SDC/DAC director Hector Cazares told media. Cazares said the donor “is a strong supporter of this department and sees this as seed money to attract other donors, which would enable us to make significant capital improvements.” 
U.S. District Judge Charles R. Richey, 73, died of cancer on March 20, nine days short of six years after issuing perhaps his most controversial decision, which held that contrary to implementing regulations issued by the USDA, Congress meant the 1985 Improved Standards for Laboratory Animals Act to apply to mice, rats, and birds, who are the animals most commonly used in biomedical research, as well as to primates, dogs, and other species. The verdict was later reversed on grounds the plaintiffs, Animal Legal Defense Fund and three individuals, had no standing to bring the case. The 1985 Act still isn’t fully implemented. On October 29, 1996, Richey issued a similar verdict, again on behalf of ALDF, this time striking down so-called “performance standards” set by the USDA in lieu of firm definitions. Performance standards, Richey pointed out, have historically proved unenforceable. This verdict too may be reversed on the standing issue, as Richey was notably more inclined to recognize the standing of advocacy groups to sue on behalf of animals than any other federal judge. Appointed to the federal bench by former President Richard Nixon in 1971, Richey within less than two years presided over the first of the Watergate cases to go to trial. He was remembered in syndicated obituaries for verdicts that “advanced the rights of women but curtailed the powers of presidents,” but the Animal Welfare Institute argued in a special appreciation that he will be remembered longest “for his magnificent series of landmark decisions for the protection of animals,” also including an order to the National Marine Fisheries Service to enforce the Marine Mammal Protection Act to prevent U.S. boats from netting tuna “on dolphin.” Commenced one of Richey’s AWA verdicts, “At the outset, the Court shall state the following: This case involves animals, a subject that should be of great importance to all mankind.”   (1997)

William Collins, 67, father of Timothy Collins, the newly elected Member of Parliament for Westmorland and Lonsdale, died May 24 when he tried to pull his Labrador retriever from a pond that unknown to him had been electrified by a faulty pump, and was himself electrocuted. Collins owned and ran the Hobbs Cross equestrian center.   (1997)

Hans Suskind, 90, Holocaust survivor and cat rescuer, died May 17 in Okeechobee, Florida, leaving most of his $250,000 estate to the Okeechobee Rehabilitative Center for use in cat care. “Suskind had no family,” the Miami Herald remembered. “He fled Germany and Hollard before ending up in Indianapolis, where he was a door-to-door salesman and kept a cat. After he retired to Okeechobee, his cat died. But he got another, who started a small colony of felines on the bank of a canal where Suskind lived. When he could no longer care for himself and his cats, Suskind entered a nursing home. While he was there, a woman who cared for his property called animal control and had the cats picked up. They were put to sleep at the Okeechobee Rehabilitative Center.”   (1997)

Christina Bauer, 87, artist and jeweler, of Keene, New Hampshire, died in February 1996, noted for longtime service to the Monadnock Humane Society as a volunteer, board member, and frequent donor of paintings, auctioned to raise funds. Her biggest gift, however, her $111,000 estate, was only disclosed on May 1, 1997.   (1997)

Juan Alvarez, 19, a park worker in Yakima, Washington, drowned on May 31 while trying to rescue a duck who had become tangled in fishing line at the children’s fishing pond in Sportsman Park.   (1997)

Richard A. Baker, 18, of St. Peters, Missouri, was electrocuted on June 6, the day after he graduated from high school as class president, when he lifted a 30-foot aluminum irrigation pipe to free a rabbit who had become trapped inside and one end of it touched a power line.   (1997)

Mary McCarthy Dotts, 91, manager of the Delaware County SPCA for 50 years, assisted by her late husband Horace T. Dotts, died June 17 in Media, Pennsylvania. Horace Dotts died in 1976.   (1997)

Joanne Boyle, 42, of Quincy, California, was killed by an automobile as she crossed the road on March 21, while traveling in Nevada. From her late teens and for 10 years thereafter, Boyle worked for the late Pegeen Fitzgerald’s Vivisection Investigation League. On her own, Boyle promoted cat adoptions. Beginning in the summer of 1975, Boyle was an enthusiastic participant in the 18-month campaign which stopped the American Museum of Natural History’s cat sex experiments––the first major victory over vivisection in the modern history of the animal rights movement. Boyle created some of the most imaginative posters and was an active demonstrator. She was both committed and creative, and a good friend, missed by all whom she touched. ––Henry Spira   (1998)

John Fletcher, 78, of St. Paul, Minnesota, first director of the Como Zoo, died on April 2 of leukemia, barely a month after the death of his wife Valata. Previously senior groundskeeper at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, Fletcher was hired to revitalize the Como Zoo in 1957. Recalled the Minneapolis Star Tribune, “Fletcher introduced attractions such as Sparky the Seal, a showoff sea lion who performed on cue,” in a manner now generally considered inappropriate for zoos. But under Fletcher the Como Zoo also presaged the current zoo emphasis on conservation, as reputedly the first North American zoo to raise abandoned Siberian tiger cubs, and “pioneered the exchange of zoo animals for breeding,” the Star Tribune added. The Star Tribune credited Fletcher for “springing animals from cramped cages to more natural surroundings“ in renovations undertaken to keep up with the much larger Minnesota Zoo, which opened in 1978. Fletcher retired in 1985.   (1998)

Lesley Sinclair, 78, founder of the Animal Care Sanctuary in East Smithfield, Pennsylvania, not related to the veterinarian of the same name who works for the Humane Society of the U.S., died on March 30. Born in London, England, Sinclair came to the U.S. in 1941. She began the Animal Care Sanctuary in 1967 in Tom’s River, New Jersey, after a long career in New York City as an interior decorator, and moved it to rural Pennsylvania in 1982. “I have for a long time known that the multi-millionaire animal organizations do nothing much,” she wrote to ANIMAL PEOPLE in 1992. “I am not surprised. The wealth of the animal world has bonded together for their own benefit, not for that of the animals in need of help.” Of her own sanctuary, she added, “We have over 500 cats here, 145 dogs, and a pet pig, Sally, and feed the wildlife. I do not believe in killing.”   (1998)

Bessie Bengston Dower, 95, of Portland, Connecticut, died on January 31. A retired teacher, Dower “was a member of many animal protection organizations, and was active in the Valley Shore Animal Welfare Society and Protectors of Animals in Glastonbury, Connecticut, into her nineties,” remembered Mildred Lucas of the Foundation for Animal Protection. 
Louie Jelicich, 83, a Sacramento animal control officer from 1944 to 1974, died of cancer in Sacramento on March 30. The Sacramento Bee recalled his public arguments that dogs are by nature much better behaved than many of their owners.    (1998)

Leo K. Bustad, DVM, 78, died from pneumonia on September 19 in Pullman, Washington. Born in Stanwood, Washington, Bustad earned a B.A. in agriculture at Washington State University in Pullman in 1941, and on the same day became a lieutenant in the U.S. Army. He married Signe Byrd, a WSU classmate, in June 1942 at Fort Benning, Georgia, shortly before shipping out to fight in Italy and Germany. Captured by the Nazis, Bustad spent 15 months at a German-run prison camp in Poland. Reunited in June 1945, Bustad and Byrd thereafter remained together until her death in March 1998. Postwar, Bustad returned to WSU to earn an M.A. in animal nutrition (1948) and his DVM (1949). From 1948 until 1965, Bustad did invasive radiation research on animals at the Hanford National Laboratory, often collaborating with faculty of the University of California at Davis. Bustad himself headed the radiobiology and comparative oncology labs at U.C. Davis from mid-1965 until 1973, helping direct work involving as many as 1,200 beagles at an off-campus location now listed as a top-priority Superfund toxic waste cleanup site. The experiments ended in 1986, when the last beagle died. The dogs' radioactive remains were removed to Hanford in 1990. Rheem Araj, a beagle care technician 1972-1973, alleged in a 1994 lawsuit while fighting a life-threatening lymphoma that news coverage of the carcass removal was the first word she received that she might have been extensively exposed to radiation. Araj further alleged that the radiation was responsible for her cancer.  From 1973 until 1983, Bustad served as dean of the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Upon retirement, he became president of the Delta Society, founded in 1976 by Michael J. McCulloch, a psychiatrist in Portland, Oregon, who pioneered the use of animal-assisted therapy. Keeping his main office at WSU, as dean emeritus and professor emeritus of veterinary physiology, Bustad moved the Delta Society to Renton, Washington, where it maintains the National Service Dog Center and carries out other programs on behalf of service dog users and pet keepers. Recipient of various humanitarian awards late in life, Bustad wrote two books, Animals, Aging, and the Aged (1980) and Compassion: Our Last Great Hope (1990), as well as co-authoring Learning and Living Together: Building the Human-Animal Bond.   (1998)

Helen Altfillisch, 71, remembered by Associated Press writer Chet Brokaw for hosting "probably the last privately owned herd of wild horses in South Dakota" on her 8,000-acre beef ranch, died in May while trying to pull a mired colt from silt behind a stock dam. Meade County sheriff's deputy John Rhoden and colleagues found her remains, and those of of the colt, surrounded by "an honor guard of animals--wild horses, prairie dogs, and a coyote," Brokaw wrote, covering the October roundup of the 300-odd horses for auction to pay liens on the Altfillisch estate. "Miss Alfillisch's friends and relatives had worried that most of her horses might be sold tor slaughter," Brokaw reported, "but many were bought by companies that supply bucking stock for rodeos. Local ranchers also bought a lot of the animals."   (1998)

Alice Stacy, 99, died on October 26 at home in Boston. Stacy was remembered for resisting relocation by a developer in June 1988 because she wasn't allowed to take her Afghan hound Goodboy with her--whom she had rescued from local drug dealers. Goodboy died suddenly from stress, before TV cameras, as authorities came to evict her. In August 1988, the Boston city council passed "The Goodboy Law," guaranteeing senior citizens in public housing the right to keep their pets.   (1998)

Lim Cheng Choon, 59, was shotgunned by a Singapore Primary Production Department dog-killer on November 2 as he knelt between two strays to feed and pet them. Lim's brother, retired Environment Ministry employee Lim Cheng Khoon, 68, told The Straits times that his family hadn't seen the victim in 20 years, but had "heard he was looking after the abandoned dogs in the vacated villages in Pungol," apparently supporting himself with odd jobs. A sister who underwrote his work died in 1996. Lim was the second human victim of the dog-killers in recent years: retired bus conductor Ong Kim Tor, 71, survived a September 1996 shooting. Trained by the Singapore Police Academy, the PPD dog-killers are supposed to shoot only dogs they cannot snare with catchpoles. Each killer is accompanied by three people who are supposed to warn people and vehicles away. "All shooting has been suspended, and procedures for the use of firearms will be reviewed," the PPD said.   (1998)

Ryan Ferris, 14, of Delco, Pennsylvania, alerted his mother Roberta, 50, brother Matthew, 18, and sister, Bridget, 12, to a pre-dawn housefire on November 6, and helped them escape by leaping from a second-floor window, but was killed by burns and smoke inhalation while trying to carry two cats down from the third floor. The cats were also killed. Matthew Ferris is reportedly in critical condition. The two family dogs got out alive.   (1998)

George Eric Hansen, 50, died September 22 of an apparent heart attack while hiking with his wife of 27 years, Rose Marie Gaines, in Nevada County, California. Said Sacramento environmental consultant Jude Lamar, "Snakes don't have a lot of friends, but Hansen was a dedicated friend. He was a rarity: a biologist with backbone." Hansen in 1997 was named environmentalist of the year by the Environmental Council of Sacramento for his work to protect the giant garter snake.   (1998)

Suzanne Barthell, 62, died from cancer on October 13 in San Francisco. A social worker and therapist for 30 years in the San Francisco school district, Barthell and her daughter Adrienne Forstner-Barthell became San Francisco Zoo volunteers in 1984. Later appointed to the San Francisco Zoo Advisory Committee, Barthell fought the 1993 turnover of zoo management to the privately funded San Francisco Zoological Society, and opposed bond issues for improvements which she claimed were too extravagant. "Her loss means one less independent voice--one less person who put animals and people ahead of corporate interests," fellow San Francisco activist Jeff Sheehy told Savannah Blackwell of the San Francisco Bay Guardian.   (1998)

Jonathan Levin, 31, was memorialized on October 24 by the dedication of the Jonathan & Julius Playroom for dogs at the new Bide-A-Wee Golden Years Retirement Home in Westhampton, New York--a pet hospice which already has a waiting list of 2,000 applicants ready to pay $10,000 per animal to assure lifetime care for their pets after their own passing. Levin, an English teacher at the William H. Taft High School in the Bronx, son of Time Warner CEO Gerald Levin, was killed by a burglar on May 30.  (1998)

Tammy Martinez, 27, of Clifton, Colorado, was struck by two vehicles and killed on October 7 just after dusk, while attempting to rescue a dog who had been hit by a previous vehicle. The dog was also killed.   (1998)

Travis Yonkers,  9,  whose dog alerted him to a 1997 housefire in time to save the family,  was killed on August 15 while trying to save the
dog from a 3 a.m. fire in the same house,  owned by his grandparents, Robert and Linda Homan,   of Mio,  Michigan.  Awakened by a smoke alarm, Yonkers woke his grandmother and his mentally disabled older brother, enabling them to escape,  and instructed the brother to summon help, before returning inside to seek the dog.    (2000)

Mark Garrat Shea,  11,  of Baltimore,  was killed on July 19 at the Moremi Game Reserve in Botswana by a hyena who entered his tent through unsecured flaps.  Shea and his mother,  who was reportedly still in extreme mental distress three weeks later,  were in their third week on safari tour in Zimbabwe and Botswana.   (2000)

Robert P. Wagers,  DVM,  86,  died on August 14 in Westminster, Maryland.  While in the Army veterinary corps during World War II and
immediately afterward,  Wagers treated the animals used in the Bikini Atoll atomic bomb tests and in poison gas experiments at the Edgewood Arsenal.   Thereafter,  he served as Baltimore Zoo staff vet from 1949 into the early 1960s,  and for more than 50 years treated the animals at local humane societies,  often as a volunteer.   (2000)

Laura Rogers, 36, who helped to fund antifur bilboards in Detroit, died from a drug overdose on January 15 in Royal Oak, Michigan. Fellow activists took in her 11 cats, three chinchillas, a raccoon, and a rescued sparrow. Rogers was a Metro Detroit Vegetarians board member, and had served on the boards of two other local activist groups: Animals Deserve Adequate Protection Today & Tomorrow and Humanitarians for Animal Rights Education (now defunct).  (2001)

Sam Savitt, 83, noted for paintings and drawings of horses,including as author of 15 books written mostly for children, and illustrator of about 150 more, died on December 25 in North Salem, New York.   (2000)

William L. Brisby, 76, died on January 1 in Crescent City, California. A former U.S. Navy dolphin trainer, Brisby founded the Exotic Animal Training and Management Program at Moorpark College in 1974. The program annually selected 60 of about 1,000 applicants to manage a zoo holding about 500 animals of 140 species. Brisby later was a trainer for the early 1980s TV show Those Amazing Animals.   (2001)

Jack Pulis, 70, of Gardiner, Maine, died in Augusta on January 6, having lapsed into a coma during December 4 heart surgery. A retired Bell Telephone Laboratories technician who had worked on the Telestar satellite, Jack Pulis "was a kind and gentle man, with a boundless compassion for all victims of violence, injustice, cruelty, and intolerance," recalled the Kennebec Journal. He is survived by his wife, noted Maine animal rights activist Linn Pulis.  (2001)

Dennis Puleston, 95, founding chair of the Environmental Defense Fund, died on June 8 at his home in Brookhaven, New York. Born in Britain, Puleston was already "an avid naturalist and skilled painter of birds" according to New York Times obituarist Paul Lewis, when he sailed a small boat to the U.S. in 1931 with a friend. He sailed on to China by 1937, before the outbreak of World War II forced his return to Britain. His 1939 marriage to Betty Wellington of New York sent him back to the U.S. as a permanent resident. In 1942 Puleston helped to design the "Duck" amphibious landing craft, then trained Allied Forces to use it. Puleston personally participated in amphibious operations in the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, and Burma; trained the D-Day "Duck" drivers in Britain after recovering from a spinal wound; and joined in the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. For his "Duck" work, Puleston was awarded the Medal of Freedom in 1948 by President Harry S. Truman. The same year, while working at the Brookhaven National Laboratory, Puleston began a longterm study of the ospreys of Gardiners Island, off eastern Long Island. "By the early 1960s," wrote Lewis, "he had concluded that the ospreys were dying out as a result of DDT sprayed to keep down mosquitos. In 1966, four years after the publication of Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring, Puleston and several colleagues won a lawsuit against the Suffolk County Mosquito Control Department and secured a year-long ban on DDT spraying." Puleston et al incorporated EDF in 1967 to follow up with national advocacy. By the time Puleston left the chair, in 1972, DDT was banned nationwide. He spent the last three decades of his life developing the ecotourism industry as a lecturer and guide, leading 35 expeditions to Antarctica.  (2001)

Vernon W. Evans Jr., 81, of Lutz, Florida, died in June at a Tampa nursing home after a long fight with Parkinson's disease. "He was the judge who ended the use of pound dogs and cats in medical research in Florida," remembered Birusk Tugan of the Tampa Tribune. "'Taking a live, healthy animal, subjecting it to surgical intervention, and then keeping it alive afterward--calling this humane is almost blasphemy,' Evans ruled in December 1986 when he stopped Hillsborough County from selling pound dogs and cats to the University of South Florida. 'Humane has a meaning,' Evans said. 'It doesn't have one meaning for four-legged animals and another for two-legged animals.'" (2001)

Victor G. Koppleberger, 83, died on June 14 at his home in Medina, Ohio. A humane officer, wildlife rehabilitator, and naturalist for more than 30 years, Kopple-berger was previously a hunter. Recalled Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Donna Robb, who profiled Koppleberger for ANIMAL PEOPLE in 1993, "One night he had a vivid dream in which he stood for judgement before every animal he had ever killed. He said the dream was so powerful that from that day he devoted his life to helping animals." (2001)

Charles Schreiner III, 74, of Mountain Home, Texas, died of congestive heart failure on April 22. As heir to his grandfather's Y.O. Ranch, Schreiner began trying to preserve the Texas longhorn cattle lineage in 1957, when there may have been fewer than 1,000 authentic longhorns left, and founded the Texas Longhorn Breeders' Association of America in 1964. There are now about 250,000 longhorns on U.S. ranches. Schreiner also "led a movement to raise exotic animals from Africa and Asia on Texas ranches and charge hunters to shoot them," recalled Douglas Martin of The New York Times, which made Schreiner more-or-less the inventor of the "canned hunt."  (2001)

Gunther Gebel-Williams, 66, died on July 19 from cancer, at home in Venice, Florida. Born in Germany as Gunther Gebel in 1934, Gebel-Williams was the son of a circus seamstress and a theatrical set builder who resisted the Nazis even after being drafted into the Wehrmacht. Gebel-Williams' mother got him a job with the Harry Williams circus at age 13; he later took Williams' surname as a gesture of appreciation. Gebel-Williams trained horses, elephants, tigers, and leopards for Williams until 1968, when Ringling Brothers bought the Williams circus to acquire his skills. Recalled New York Times obituarist Richard Severo, "Gebel-Williams was the principal heir-apparent to the tradition of Clyde Beatty, who dominated the U.S. circus scene in the mid-20th century by walking into cages filled with huge cats armed with a chair, a whip, and sometimes a revolver. Gebel-Williams had no use for chairs or pistols or anything else that would threaten or injure his animals. Only 5'4", he used his voice and bits of meat to make sure they understood when he was pleased." Injured by animals many times, Gebel-Williams gave more than 12,000 performances without ever missing a call or allowing any of his animals to be killed for their deeds. "If you do right by animals," he said, "and do not become careless, they will do the right thing in return. One can never be so certain about people." He kept the pelts of his favorite animals on the floor of his home, but did not allow anyone to step on them. "We walk around them out of respect," he explained, "because they are not trophies but dear old friends." He last performed in 1998.   (2001)

Ronald Rood, 81, died on July 16 at home in Lincoln, Vermont. A retired high school and college biology teacher, Rood wrote more than two dozen books about nature, initially inspired by finding a turtle at large on a wintery New England day at age seven. Rood wrote a letter about it to Thornton Burgess, the author of many stories about Bobby Coon, Buster Bear, Grand-father Frog, Jerry Muskrat, Johnny Chuck, Old Man Coyote, Reddy Fox, Unc' Billy Possum, and Peter Cottontail. Burgess responded with a two-page letter. Recalled Rood in 1975, "I figured if that was what a nature writer was, someone who took time to write to little kids, I wanted to be one too." Locally known as a wildlife rescuer, rehabilitator, and remover of skunks from basements, Rood had his first big success in 1967 with Hundred Acre Welcome: The Story of a Chincoteague Pony, about how he, his wife, and their four children impulsively bought a wild pony in Virginia, whom they brought home to Lincoln in their station wagon.   (2001)

Joe Don Stovall, 46, of Baytown, Texas, escaped a July 30 mobile home fire with his wife Mary "Kitty" Hernandez, but died from smoke inhalation when he ran back inside to try to save his two cats. One was found dead; the other is missing.   (2001)

Dorothy Checci-O'Brien, 70, died on August 27 at home in Plymouth, Massachusetts. A longtime valuable news source for ANIMAL PEOPLE, Checci-O'Brien stood under five feet tall and weighed less than 100 pounds, but was fined $405 in October 1985 for allegedly beating up two hunters she caught trying to shoot waterfowl near her house despite her "No Hunting" signs. Considered the most effective pro-animal lobbyist in Massachusetts, working strictly as a volunteer, Checci-O'Brien earlier led a long and eventually successful effort to wrest the Ellen Gifford Sheltering Home for Cats in Brighton from the allegedly self-aggrandizing control of corporate attorney John G. Kilpatrick Jr., and closely monitored the financial affairs of the Massachusetts SPCA and the Animal Rescue League of Boston. New England Anti-Vivisection Society president Theo Capaldo called Checci-O'Brien "the mother of animal activism in Massachusetts." Friends of the Plymouth Pound held a memorial celebration of her life on September 29.   (2001)

Fred Neil, 64, died of cancer on July 7 at home in Summerland Key, Florida. A master of the 12-string guitar, Neil wrote "Everybody's Talkin'", made famous by Harry Nilsson as theme song for the 1969 film Midnight Cowboy, and wrote other hits including "A Little Bit of Rain," "Other Side of This Life," "The Dolphins," and "Ba-De-Da," but lost interest in music after cofounding The Dolphin Project in 1970 with Ric O'Barry, and last performed in 1977. Neil arranged benefit concerts for The Dolphin Project by Jimmy Buffett, David Crosby and Stephen Stills, Dion, Phil Everly, Richie Havens, Joni Mitchell, John Sebastian, and Jerry Jeff Walker. "Fred was my best friend," said O'Barry, who was in Guatemala returning two ex-traveling show dolphins to the wild when Neil passed away.   (2001)

Vicki Hearne, 55, died on August 21 of lung cancer at a hospice in Branford, Connecticut, near her home in Westbrook. Born in Austin, Texas, Hearne became a self-employed animal trainer at age 21, but taught English and creative writing from 1969 to 1995 at the University of California/ Riverside, Stanford, and Yale. In addition to her successful 1986 volume Adam's Task: Calling Animals By Name, about animal intelligence, Hearne wrote five other books on animal themes, including Bandit: Dossier of a Dangerous Dog, which was turned into the film documentary A Little Vicious. She became best known as a strident advocate of pit bull terriers and critic of the animal rights movement, especially in two essays for Harper's Magazine, "What's Wrong With Animal Rights?" (1991) and "Can An Ape Tell A Joke?" (1993), which defended the Las Vegas orangutan trainer Bobby Berosini.   (2001)

Vincent Lowe, 49, of Brooksville, Florida, owner of Florida Cougar Inc. with Lesa Lucas, was fatally mauled on July 31 at Savage Kingdom, a tiger facility owned since 1971 by Robert Baudy, 79, whose tiger acts were often featured on The Ed Sullivan Show. Experienced with their five pumas but not familiar with tigers, Lowe and Lucas accidently put a tiger named Tie into an adjacent cage with a hole in the fence while attempting to repair Tie's cage. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission reported that Lowe "ignored a park manager who asked him not to attempt repairs until he was present, should have left the cage rather than trying to calm the tiger by striking his cage with a crowbar, and presented himself as prey when he knelt to make the repairs." As the tiger came through the hole, Lowe and Lucas tried to hold him back with a board. He got through after Lowe sent Lucas to fetch Baudy, who shot Tie, too late to save Lowe.   (2001)

Mitzi Leibst, 62, died on August 12 in Seattle. A retired Army officer, Leibst and longtime friend Hilde Wilson were noted animal rescuers, feral cat colony tenders, and critics of the Seattle Animal Control Board. Leibst was also active with the Northwest Animal Rights Network and Margaret Kyros Foundation for Animals.   (2001)

Linda Cherney, 47, died on August 11 in Norwich, New York, after an 8-year battle with multiple sclerosis. Cher-ney and Bob Blake, her companion of 22 years, started the Beingkind animal rescue society in New York City in 1987. With volunteers, they rehomed an estimated 8,000 animals before moving upstate in 1999, to have more room for animals. "They were a fixture at street fairs and on the Upper West Side, setting up their tent to find homes for animals," recalled friend Elizabeth Forel.   (2001)

Bob Martwick, 75, died in Lombard, Illinois, on August 26 from pulmonary fibrosis. Martwick ran a kennel and bred dogs in the 1950s, but by 1960 mostly trained animals to perform in TV commercials. He rescued his first big star, Morris I, from a Chicago shelter just before the personable orange tom was to be killed. Morris I made 58 commercials for 9 Lives cat food between 1969 and his death at age 19 in 1978; was featured in two books; was reputed model for the cartoon cat Garfield, drawn by Jim Davis; and traveled 200,000 miles making appearances. His successor, Morris II, came from a Massachusetts shelter. Altogether, Martwick traveled with the two cats for 27 years. Martwick also helped discover and train Spuds MacKenzie, the bull terrier who sold beer for Anheuser-Busch.   (2001)

Carolyn E. Stebe, 68, died on August 20 from a heart attack in New Albany, Indiana. A marionette performer on Long Island during the 1960s, Stebe was impressed by parrot acts at Disney World and turned to teaching hens to roller skate--an act eventually featured on MTV. She retired from New York to New Albany in 1998, but continued to give frequent free shows with her hens at retirement homes.   (2001)

Robert F. Willson, DVM, 90, died on August 2 in Detroit from congestive heart failure. Willson was chief veterinarian for the Detroit pound during the 1940s and 1950s, then served as director of the Detroit Zoo from 1968 until 1975. After retirement he volunteered at the zoo until 1987.   (2001)

Robert Edward Steele III, 81, was killed on September 11 in Sanibel, Florida, apparently while trying to kick an 11-foot alligator away from his dog. The dog survived. Ironically, Steele and his wife Ellen "were trying very hard to protect the alligators in this area," recalled Art Weiss-bach, who volunteered with Steele for the Sanibel/Captiva Conservation Foundation.   (2001)

John C. Lilly, 86, died September 30 (2001) in Los Angeles. After researching the physiology of high-altitude flight during World War II, Lilly did investigations preliminary to space travel, inventing the isolation tank in 1954 to simulate weightlessness. Seeking to explore methods of communicating with aliens, Lilly founded the Communi-cation Research Institute on St. Thomas to study dolphins as aliens-surrogate, and became a frequent visitor to the Miami Seaquarium, where he profoundly influenced apprentice trainer Rick Feldman, known since 1970 as dolphin freedom advocate Ric O'Barry. A chapter of O'Barry's 1988 autobiography Behind The Dolphin Smile is titled "The Lilly Factor." At first awed by Lilly's discoveries about dolphin intelligence, O'Barry later developed deep misgivings about his use of vivisection. After O'Barry began releasing dolphins, they went different ways. Lilly wrote 19 books, including Man and Dolphin and The Mind of the Dolphin, claimed he could understand dolphin language while on LSD, and promoted the notion of humans and cetaceans enjoying a spiritual bond. His work inspired the films The Day of the Dolphin (1973), Altered States (1980), and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986). 

Ron Blakely, 69, founding director of the Sedgewick County Zoo in Wichita, died at home of natural causes on October 2. Recalled Lori O'Toole Buselt of the Wichita Eagle, "Blakely, nicknamed Mr. Zoo, came to Wichita in 1967 from Chicago with a vision of building from scratch a zoo that showcased animals' natural habitat. Blakely found an empty milo field in northwest Wichita, and three years and $4 million later, the zoo was opened." He retired in 1990.  (2001)

Joseph Slowinski, "one of the world's leading venomous snake experts," employed by the California Academy of the Sciences in San Francisco, died on September 12 "while working in Myanmar, Burma, after being bitten by a snake during a scientific field trip," CAS announced. "Details of what exactly happened are still trickling in." Slowinski had been studying the reptiles of Burma since 1997. Robert Stevens, 63, died from anthrax on October 6, the first known victim of bioterrorism believed to have been directed at news media and politicians by associates of the terrorists who hijacked airliners on September 11 and crashed them into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Photo editor for The Sun, a supermarket tabloid published by American Media Inc. in Boca Raton, Florida, Stevens emigrated from England to take the job in 1973. For about 20 years his main hobby was fishing, but eventually neighbor Susan Carmichael got him interested in cat rescue. "I helped him trap feral cats, and we had them neutered," she told Jo Thomas of The New York Times. Added Thomas, "He made shelters for the cats out of picnic tables, and went with her to feed colonies of restaurant cats." (2001)

Nancy Farley, 45, a Jersey City cat rescuer, died on September 11 at her job with Reinsurance Solutions Inc. on the 94th floor of 1 World Trade Center.  (2001)

Timothy O'Sullivan, an employee of the Wildlife Conservation Society, died on September 11 at the World Trade Center. "In honor of his memory," WCS said, "we will donate to the recovery and relief effort all gate proceeds received on Saturday, September 29, at the Bronx Zoo, the New York Aquarium, and the Central Park, Prospect Park, and Queens Zoos."  (2001)

Catherine L. Loguidice, 30, a Brooklyn cat rescuer, died September 11 at her job as a Cantor Fitzgerald bond trader on the 105th floor of 1 World Trade Center.  (2001)

Jean A. Andrucki, "a committed member of the <WildNetAfrica.org> community," died September 11 at her job in the New York/New Jersey Port Authority treasury office at the World Trade Center. (2001)

Colin Bonnett, 39, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, a Barbados-born equestrian, cat rescuer, and former veterinary assistant, died on September 11 at his job as a Marsh & McLennan telecommuications expert in the World Trade Center. (2001)

Laura Rockefeller, 41, of White Plains, New York, is to be memorialized with a bench at the dog run in Riverside Park, New York City. She died on September 11 while directing a seminar for Risk Waters at Windows on the World in the World Trade Cente. She left two cats, Uff and Parker, and a German shepherd mix, J.T,  who reportedly still runs to the door looking for her at each approach of a car.  (2001)

Dennis White, 55, died from sudden heart failure in Dallas on October 20. A cofounder of the National Animal Control Association, while managing a shelter in Greeley, Colorado, White led the American Humane Association animal protection division from 1976 to 1995, when he became director of the Southwest regional office of the Humane Society of the U.S. White also served on the Department of the Interior Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board and the Delta Society Service Animal Advisory board; was a former trustee of World Society for the Protection of Animals; and founded the National Horse Investigation School. He is survived by his wife of 27 years, Susan White, and their five children.  (2001)

Herschel Earl "Sonny" Sides, 58, died recently in Dallas. Inheriting his father's used car business as a teenager, Sides "always drove, but never got a driver's license or Social Security card, had a checking account, or paid taxes," wrote Mark Wrolstad of the Dallas Morning News. After a failed marriage to a Mexican citizen, Sides spent most of his time at his used car lot and junkyard, where he built an unlicensed animal shelter, managed by Cindy Lou Sherman, 41, and Lisa Gayle LeMoine, 32. Sherman and LeMoine told Wrolstad that they had placed about 450 dogs and cats for adoption during their years with Sides. About 140 dogs and 35 cats were left at his death. Operation Kindness, of Carrolltown, reportedly sent three staffers to help Sherman and LeMoine comply with an order from the city to close the shelter and remove the animals.  (2001)

Eleanor Ann McDonald, 66, died on October 11 in Port Chester, New York. Acquiring her first bichon frise in 1992, she began breeding and exhibiting a year later. Her bichon frise Special Times Just Right, owned in partnership with handler Flavio Werneck and Cecila Ruggles of Ridgefield, Connecticut, was judged "best dog" at the 2001 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Howard Marks, 92, died in a November 22 fire at his home in Willington, Connecticut. "He could have made it out," said son Clifton Marks, of Norwich, "but he apparently turned back for Tabatha," the Siamese cat his son gave him after his wife died in 1992. Tabatha died with him.  (2001)

Patricia Lambert, 57, died on October 18 from cancer. A vegetarian since 1964, Lambert was a longtime member of the North American Vegetarian Society Board of Trustees, a key organizer of the annual Vegetarian Summerfest, president of the Cape Cod Vegetarian Society, and founder of Cape Codders for Wildlife Protection, formed in 1995 to combat U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service killing of seagulls and coyotes at the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge. She was inducted into the Vegetarian Hall of Fame at the 2001 Vegetarian Summerfest.  (2001)

Kent Heitholt, 48, sports editor for the Columbia Daily Tribune in Columbia, Missouri, since 1996, was beaten to death on November 7 by at least two unknown assailants who ambushed him as he fed a stray cat in the Daily Tribune parking lot. Kirsten R. Santiago, 26, handler of two dogs for Bright & Beautiful Therapy Dogs Inc. of New Jersey, was killed on September 11 at her job with Insurance Overload Systems in the World Trade Center.  (2001)

Charles Pilling, 90, died on October 25 in his lifelong North Seattle home beside the pond he dug out as a 14-year-old farm boy to serve as a habitat for three crippled mallards he had nursed back to health at age 12. At the pond, Pilling became the first person to breed hooded mergansers in captivity (1955) and buffleheads (1964), and pioneered the use of banty hens as foster mothers for wild duck eggs. In 1990 Pilling was elected fourth member of the International Wild Waterfowl Association's Waterfowl Breeders Hall of Fame.  (2001)

David Moody Hopkins, 79, died on November 2 at home in Menlo Park, California. Hopkins was a leading authority on the interactions of North American wildlife and the ice age hunters who crossed a land bridge from Siberia into Alaska.  (2001)

Frank Craighead, 85, died on October 21 in Jackson, Wyoming. Craig-head, his twin brother John, and his sister, children's book author Jean Craighead George, learned their love of nature from their father, a USDA entomologist. Teaching themselves falconry, the young men broke into print together with a 1937 article for National Geographic about their adventures and misadventures. The Indian prince K.S. Dharmakumarsinhj read the article and invited them to India to study falconry in 1940. After World War II military duty, Frank and John Craighead pursued separate careers in academia, but teamed up again in 1959 to do the 12-year study of grizzly bears in and around Yellowstone National Park that is credited with saving the species from extinction. Frank Craighead may be best remembered, however, for his 1979 book Track of the Grizzly.   (2001)

Lewis Robert Plumb, 78, died on December 9, 2001, in Sacramento, California. A professor of physics for 26 years at Chico State University, Plumb and his late wife Charlotte cofounded the Promoting Animal Welfare Society in Paradise, California, during the early 1980s, funding their work with a thrift shop. An avid statistical analyst, Plumb often contributed ideas and data to ANIMAL PEOPLE. Wrote Richard Avanzino, longtime president of the San Francisco SPCA and now executive director of Maddie's Fund, "Bob and I spent many hours on the phone together hashing over ideas to save lives. Bob was really ahead of the curve in his efforts to design a mathematical formula to evaluate the success of spaying and neutering. I thought the world of him." Plumb did not just advocate what his data showed; he also put serious money into proving the efficacy of subsidized sterilization and neuter/return. "If I were to run the numbers," said Emily Jane Williams, the current PAWS president, "I'm sure more than 100,000 cats and dogs were not born into suffering because of his efforts to help Butte County low-income residents to fix their pets. To them, Bob Plumb was Santa Claus."   (2001)

John E. Olson, 49, Jerry Openshaw, 34, and Roger Small, of Marysvale, Clinton, and Roosevelt, Utah, were killed on December 27 while trying to rescue a moose from thin ice at the Mountain Dell Reservoir near Salt Lake City, when the tail rotor of their helicopter struck a power line. The moose was among a herd of 15-20 whom the men were trying to relocate from deep snow in a box canyon. Pilot Olson and assistant Small worked for Helicopter Capture Services, along with Olson's son, John Olson Jr., who had just been dropped off to help from below. Olson and John Zolezzi of San Diego founded the firm in 1996 after working together as spotters for tuna boats. The parents and daughters of Openshaw, a Utah Department of Wildlife Resources biologist since 1998, were also watching the operation from the ground. Openshaw's brother had been killed in a Coast Guard accident just three weeks earlier.  (2001)

Joy Belsky, 56, died from breast cancer on December 14 in Portland, Oregon. Belsky studied wildlife in Africa for five years but was driven out by poachers. Back in the U.S., she worked as staff ecologist for first the Oregon Natural Resources Council and later the Oregon Natural Desert Association. "She published more than 45 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters on African and North American grasslands, often blaming livestock for upsetting the balance of plants and wildlife in the arid interior West," wrote Michael Milstein of the Portland Oregonian. Belsky also helped lead the ultimately successful fight to keep the management of the Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge from killing coyotes, instead of curtailing grazing, to stimulate the recovery of pronghorns.  (2001)

Debbie Prasnicki, 47, was shot dead on December 1 by hunter Mike Berseth, 43, near her home in Stanley, Wisconsin, as she kicked a yellow ball along a public road to amuse her two dogs. "Prasnicki was a nurturing woman whose mothering instincts grew all the more acute during deer season. She hung bells on her pets to protect them from negligent hunters and forbade her two children, Rachel and Seth, from playing in the woods. Her walk with her dogs on December 1 was her first since the regular gun deer season ended on November 25. She was unaware that a special muzzleloader season had begun," wrote Crocker Stephenson of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.  (2001)

Joe Maniaci, 54, died on October 2, 2001. Maniaci was longtime animal control officer for Macomb County, Michigan, a volunteer firefighter, former mayor of Richmond Township, president of the Michigan Animal Control Officers Association, and vice president of the National Animal Control Association.  (2001)

David Charlebois, a sustaining guardian of the Washington D.C. Humane Society, was first officer on American Air-lines flight 77, hijacked and crashed into the Pentagon on September 11.  (2001)

David Arce, 36, a New York City firefighter known for "always bringing home stray cats and dogs," according to his mother Margaret Arce, was killed at the World Trade Center on September 11.  (2001)

David L.W. Fodor, 38, a former breeder and exhibitor of Rottweilers, including a national champion, who had turned to rescuing shelter animals, was killed on September 11 while on duty as a volunteer floor fire warden at #2 World Trade Center.  (2001)

Sondra Conaty Brace, 60, who with her husband David Brace kept 25 rescued cats at their home in Staten Island, was killed on September 11 at her insurance industry job in the World Trade Center. Joe Lopes, a flight attendant on American Airlines flight 587, which crashed in the Rockaways on November 12, was honored at Christmas with the "Joe Lopes Celebration of Life Tree" and a horseback caroling expedition led by friend and coworker Gloria Smith to raise funds for the Angel's Gate Hospice & Rehabilitation Center for Animals, one of his favorite charities. (2001)

Joseph Yon, M.D., 65, who lived most of his life in Seattle, died on December 5 while trying to rescue his German shepherd mix Jake from a freezing canal near a home he and his wife had just rented in Scottsdale, Arizona. Jake survived. (2001)

Dennis Puleston, 95, founding chair of the Environmental Defense Fund, died on June 8 at his home in Brookhaven, New York. Born in Britain, Puleston was already "an avid naturalist and skilled painter of birds" according to New York Times obituarist Paul Lewis, when he sailed a small boat to the U.S. in 1931 with a friend. He sailed on to China by 1937, before the outbreak of World War II forced his return to Britain. His 1939 marriage to Betty Wellington of New York sent him back to the U.S. as a permanent resident. In 1942 Puleston helped to design the "Duck" amphibious landing craft, then trained Allied Forces to use it. Puleston personally participated in amphibious operations in the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, and Burma; trained the D-Day "Duck" drivers in Britain after recovering from a spinal wound; and joined in the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. For his "Duck" work, Puleston was awarded the Medal of Freedom in 1948 by President Harry S. Truman. The same year, while working at the Brookhaven National Laboratory, Puleston began a longterm study of the ospreys of Gardiners Island, off eastern Long Island. "By the early 1960s," wrote Lewis, "he had concluded that the ospreys were dying out as a result of DDT sprayed to keep down mosquitos. In 1966, four years after the publication of Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring, Puleston and several colleagues won a lawsuit against the Suffolk County Mosquito Control Department and secured a year-long ban on DDT spraying." Puleston et al incorporated EDF in 1967 to follow up with national advocacy. By the time Puleston left the chair, in 1972, DDT was banned nationwide. He spent the last three decades of his life developing the ecotourism industry as a lecturer and guide, leading 35 expeditions to Antarctica. (2001)

Vernon W. Evans Jr., 81, of Lutz, Florida, died in June at a Tampa nursing home after a long fight with Parkinson's disease. "He was the judge who ended the use of pound dogs and cats in medical research in Florida," remembered Birusk Tugan of the Tampa Tribune. "'Taking a live, healthy animal, subjecting it to surgical intervention, and then keeping it alive afterward--calling this humane is almost blasphemy,' Evans ruled in December 1986 when he stopped Hillsborough County from selling pound dogs and cats to the University of South Florida. 'Humane has a meaning,' Evans said. 'It doesn't have one meaning for four-legged animals and another for two-legged animals.'" (2001)

Victor G. Koppleberger, 83, died on June 14 at his home in Medina, Ohio. A humane officer, wildlife rehabilitator, and naturalist for more than 30 years, Kopple-berger was previously a hunter. Recalled Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Donna Robb, who profiled Koppleberger for ANIMAL PEOPLE in 1993, "One night he had a vivid dream in which he stood for judgement before every animal he had ever killed. He said the dream was so powerful that from that day he devoted his life to helping animals." (2001)

Charles Schreiner III, 74, of Mountain Home, Texas, died of congestive heart failure on April 22. As heir to his grandfather's Y.O. Ranch, Schreiner began trying to preserve the Texas longhorn cattle lineage in 1957, when there may have been fewer than 1,000 authentic longhorns left, and founded the Texas Longhorn Breeders' Association of America in 1964. There are now about 250,000 longhorns on U.S. ranches. Schreiner also "led a movement to raise exotic animals from Africa and Asia on Texas ranches and charge hunters to shoot them," recalled Douglas Martin of The New York Times, which made Schreiner more-or-less the inventor of the "canned hunt."  (2001)

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: