Miscellaneous Lincoln County, Maine Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:

Edward F. Rabe
Edward R. Rabe, M.D., 79, died at his home in Whitefield, on Oct. 3.
Dr. Rabe was born Nov. 7, 1918 in Watsontown, Penn., the son of Dr. Edward F. Rabe and Helen McClure Rabe. He received a BS degree from Bucknell University and an MD degree from Yale University School of Medicine. He completed his residency in Pediatrics at Grace-New Haven Hospital. Following two years of service in the Army Medical Corps in Europe as epidemiologist in the Theatre Chief Surgeon's Office he returned to Yale as instructor in Pediatrics and two years thereafter moved to Kansas City, Kan., where he was Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and did research on poliomyelitis.
In 1951 he became head of the Department of Pediatrics at Geisinger Memorial Hospital in Danville, Penn. In 1958 he became one of the first National Institute of Health Fellows in Pediatric Neurology at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and then became Chief of the Pediatrics Neurology Division at Boston Floating Hospital and Professor of Pediatric Neurology at Tufts University School of Medicine.
He left this position in 1986 to spend three years in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, where he established a Department of Pediatric Neurology at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre. During his 39 years of active involvement in medical teaching, research, and practice he contributed 85 papers to the medical literature. He was a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Pediatric Society, Child Neurology Society and other medical professional groups. He retired to Whitefield in 1989. While there he took an active part in Literacy Volunteers of American, and was chairman of the Greater Augusta Affiliate for two years.
In addition to his work, he enjoyed photography, travel to foreign countries, music, and the outdoors.
He is survived by his wife Emily Wilson Rabe, his four children - Edward F. Rabe, M.D., Ph.D. of Cambridge, Mass., Marian R. Blair of Bridgton, John W. Rabe of Greenwich, Conn., and David W. Rabe of Natick, Mass., his ten grandchildren and three step-grandchildren. He was married for 56 years to Emily Wilson Rabe.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made in support of research to the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Maine Chapter, 175 Lancaster St., Portland ME, 04101. A private memorial service will be held at a later date for his immediate family.
Arrangements by Gray and Pratt Funeral Home, Windsor. 

Walter S. Reed
Walter S. Reed, 79, Boothbay Harbor, died June 13 at his home.
He was born in Boothbay Harbor, a son of Walter S. Sr. and Julia Tupper Reed, and graduated from Boothbay Harbor High School in 1937. He also graduated from the University of Maine.
He served in the military for 27 years - six years in the Navy and 21 years in the Air Force.
Mr. Reed was the former owner of Lawnmeer Inn, which he ran for 20 years.
He was a selectman in Boothbay Harbor for 22 years and was chairman for eight years. He was director of the Boothbay Harbor Chamber of Commerce and a trustee of the Boothbay Region School Committee.
Mr. Reed was a member of the American Legion, Seaside Lodge, and the Retired Officers Association.
Surviving are his wife, Lorraine LeMay Reed of Boothbay Harbor; two daughters, Judith L. Hurford of Southport and Kim Reed Upham of Boothbay Harbor; two sons, Walter S. Reed III and John D. Reed, both of Boothbay Harbor; and seven grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held Fri., June 18, at 11 a.m. at the Congregational Church of Boothbay Harbor, with the Rev. Peter Baldwin Panagore officiating. Burial will be in Oceanview Cemetery, Boothbay. Arrangements are by Simmons, Harrington and Hall Funeral Home, Boothbay. 

Rudolph Regut
Rudolph (Rudy) Regut, 94, Edgecomb, died June 14 at Maine Medical Center after a brief illness.
Born in Riga, Latvia, on March 16, 1905, he lived with his family on a baron's estate and began work at an early age, helping in the garden, carrying water, and feeding the animals. During his youth he experienced German and Russian troops engaged in battle in the region and had a strong dislike for war.
He immigrated to the United States as a teenager under the auspices of the Lutheran church. He moved into the Lowell, Mass., area, and was employed by a contractor, learning the carpentry trade while working on developments in the area. He later secured a job with a boiler making company that welded gas tanks for Beacon Oil Co., and after a few years purchased a location in Everett and began his own welding business.
At that time he purchased a large powerboat and visited Maine frequently. On one trip he purchased large acreage on River Rd. in Edgecomb, put a road into the point he had cleared of timber, which he milled, and constructed a house.
His Everett business was taken by eminent domain for a new parkway, and in the early 1940s he moved to Edgecomb. He constructed a shop in which he built cabinets, windmills, birdhouses, and many other items. He later purchased an old house on Bus. Rt. 1 in Newcastle and single-handedly converted it and the adjoining carriage house in eight apartments, each with a river view, which is part of his estate.
Always active and energetic, he became a commercial lobsterman, setting traps in the Damariscotta River.
Mr. Regut had been a professional wrestler in earlier days and proudly displayed trophies he had won in that sport and in golf. He was an avid motorcyclist for more than 30 years.
In his early days he played accordion in a band and, until recently, would entertain friends and neighbors with a lively tune. Another hobby was to collect and preserve mushrooms he gathered around his property.
He was an ardent outdoorsman and hunted and fished throughout the area, owning a hound dog for many years of rabbit hunting. A week before he died he shot a porcupine that had for four years been destroying a large willow tree in his yard.
Mr. Regut was an avid gardener and, until his health failed in recent years, had grown vegetables and berries that he preserved for his yearly needs. He continued to plant tomatoes in pots on his deck for a fresh summer supply and had many flowering plants in his living area.
Emma, his wife of 59 years, died Oct. 13, 1998 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Survivors are a daughter, Audrey A. Ing of Honolulu; a son, Robert E. Regut of Nobleboro; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held Fri., June 25, at 10:30 a.m. at Water of Life Lutheran Church, Rt. 1, Newcastle, with the Rev. William Luger, pastor, officiating. Burial will follow in River Road Cemetery, Newcastle. Strong Funeral Home of Damariscotta is in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Miles Home Health Care, RR 2 Box 4500, Damariscotta, ME 04543. 

Evelyn K. Reilly
Evelyn K. Reilly, 93, New Harbor, a longtime resident of Thomaston, died peacefully Nov. 29, in Cushing.
Born Aug. 28, 1905, in Salem, Mass., she was the daughter of Arthur D. and Dora (Clark) Kalloch. She graduated from Thomaston High School in 1923 and Farmington Normal School in 1926. Mrs. Reilly taught primary school in Mexico, Maine and elementary school both in Cushing and South Thomaston. She and her husband resided for over 50 years in Thomaston, coming to New Harbor in 1969. Mr. Reilly pre-deceased her in 1990.
She is survived by her son Donald T. Reilly, of New Harbor, six grandchildren, Dana, Keith and Ted of Norwalk, Conn., Alan of Brunswick, Neil of Pemaquid, Robin of West Palm Beach, Fla., 11 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandson.
At the request of the family, she will be laid to rest, with her husband, at the New Harbor Cemetery, with no services. Remembrances may be made to the New Harbor First Responders, c/o Jeri Pendleton, So. Side Road, New Harbor, 04554. 

Ruth E. Richardson
Ruth E. Richardson, 64, Boothbay Harbor, died Aug. 8 at St. Andrews Hospital there. She was born Jan. 14, 1935 in Boothbay Harbor, the daughter of Victor and Lucretia E. Blake Abbott. She attended local schools and worked all her life as a cook. She cooked at the Tugboat Inn, Fisherman's Wharf, Andrews Harborside, Broken Anchor, The Harbor Restaurant, and many other local establishments. She would cook at restaurants in the summer and pick shrimp and crab meat in the winter. Richardson was well known for her buttermilk biscuits and especially her lobster newberg.
In the winter she would drop by many friends' homes with homemade meals. She loved her pets, especially her daughter's dog Brandy, who would often be the recipient of many treats from Paws & Claws pet supply store. She also loved her cat Trampis, who was her constant companion. She and her friend, Evelyn Snowman, were known as the local version of "Thelma and Louise", because they were always traveling somewhere together.
She was predeceased by a son, James "Jimmy" Wooster.
She is survived by her husband of 35 years, Arthur W. Richardson of Boothbay Harbor; daughter Linda, and her husband Ronald Farnham, of Southport; son Michael A. Richardson of Boothbay Harbor; stepson Warren E. Richardson of Missouri; granddaughter Cindy-Lou "Rella" Farnham of Southport; grandsons Andy J. and T.J. Wooster of Edgecomb, and Michael Ryan Walsh of Machiasport; brother Merlin Abbott of Boothbay Harbor; and traveling companion Evelyn Snowman of Boothbay Harbor.
The funeral service was at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Simmons, Harrington & Hall Funeral Home. Al Roberts officiated. Burial followed in Evergreen Cemetery, Boothbay. Donations may be made in her memory to Boothbay Region Ambulance Building Fund, 11 Howard St., Boothbay Harbor 04538 or to St. Andrews Hospital, 6 St. Andrews Ln., Boothbay Harbor 04538. 

Stella M. Robinson
Stella M. Robinson, 80, of Camden, and formerly of the Greater Lowell region of Massachusetts, died late on the evening of Nov. 13, at a Damariscotta health care facility.
Born Jan. 1, 1919 in East Boston, she was a daughter of Gifford and Agnes (Ormand) Wilcox. Attending East Boston schools, she graduated high school there, also.
During WWII, Mrs. Robinson worked for the Ford Motor Co. as a welder on tanks, a fact that she was proud of throughout her life. She was married to Fred Robinson, Sr., from 1951 until his death 30 years ago. Coming to Camden from Mass., in 1984, she resided at Mountainside Park until her recent illness. While living in Camden she worked both at The Haven Restaurant in West Rockport and as a Literacy Volunteer.
She leaves three children, Fred Robinson, Jr. of West Deering, NH, Marilyn Marquis of Portsmouth, NH and Carolyn Butler of Bremen; six grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
She will be laid to rest, with graveside services, at the Elmwood Cemetery, Methuen, Mass. Arrangements are under the direction of the Strong Funeral Home, Damariscotta. If desired, donations may be made in her memory to the American Cancer Society, 53 Federal Street, Brunswick, ME 04011. 

Robert R. Russell Sr.
Robert R. Russell Sr., 65, of Dresden, died Thursday at his home from cancer.
He was born in Whitefield, a son of Charles Richard and Mildred Russell, and attended schools there as well as Bridge Academy.
He was employed at Health-Tex, Gardiner, for 33 years and then at Journey's End Farm, Dresden. He was a member of Windsor Memorial Baptist Church.
His hobbies included camping trips with his family, fishing, hunting and riding all-terrain vehicles, as well as woodworking and building. He built two of his homes and made gifts for family members.
Surviving are his wife of 43 years, Reta Bailey Russell; his mother; two sons, Robert Jr. of Dresden and Randale Roy of Westport Island; four daughters, Mrs. Michael (Regina) Jewett of Whitefield, Mrs. Roger (Rhonda) Clark of Windsor, Mrs. John (Raelene) Fitzpatrick of Wiscasset and Mrs. Mark (Ramona) Vaillancourt of Palm Bay, Fla.; a brother, Phillip Russell of Whitefield; four sisters, Mrs. Lester (Louise) Dancer of Whitefield, Mrs. Gareth (Beverly) Trask of Alna, Mrs. Charles (Gloria) Bailey of Edgecomb and Mrs. Ronald (Dorothy) Bobge of Dresden; 21 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
There were private visiting hours. A funeral service was held Monday at Bible Baptist Church, Wiscasset, with the Rev. Branan Becknell officiating. Burial followed in Pine Grove Cemetery. Arrangements were by May and Daigle Funeral Home, Wiscasset.

M. Phyliss Tracy
M. Phyliss Tracy, 78, New Harbor, died April 21 at Mid Coast Hospital, Brunswick.
She was born in Plymouth, Mass., a daughter of Frederich and Mildred Nordstrom Ginhold. She attended Bellingham, Mass., schools, graduating from Franklin (Mass.) High School in 1938.
In 1940 she married W. Warren Tracy, who died in April 1987.
For many years, Mr. and Mrs. Tracy owned and operated Old Colony Lumber Company in Keene, N.H. Following retirement, they moved to New Harbor in 1982.
Mrs. Tracy was an avid reader, an accomplished seamstress and quilter, and a talented artist. She also had a great love and knowledge of flowers.
She was a member of the New Harbor Methodist Church, where she taught religious education. She was also a member of the American Quilters Society, Pine Tree Quilters Guild, Clamshell Quilters, Miles Memorial Hospital League, and the Pemaquid Art Gallery, and had recently been elected president of the Willing Workers Society of New Harbor.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. James (Susan) MacKenzie of Swanton, Vt.; a grandson, Angus MacKenzie of Highgate, Vt.; a half-sister, Margery Bartlett of Bellingham; a special cousin, Donald Dassman of Plymouth; and two great-grandchildren, Madison and Dylan MacKenzie of Highgate, Vt.
Visiting hours were held April 27 at Strong Funeral Home, Damariscotta. A funeral was held April 28 at the New Harbor Methodist Church; the Rev. Ernie Farrar officiated. 

William Vrooman
William Vrooman, 70, Nobleboro, died Jan. 28 at his home after a long battle with cancer.
Born Dec. 29, 1928, in Schenectady, N.Y., he was the son of Laverne and Bertha Lott Vrooman, attending Schenectady public schools.
Entering the Air Force at a young age, he served during the Korean and Vietnam wars. Retiring in 1970, after 23 years, he then accepted a job with the State of Maine, working as a research analyst for the Department of Labor, Unemployment Division. He retired again, in 1989, after 19 years.
Mr. Vrooman was a life member of the Waldoboro VFW and a member of the Waldoboro American Legion for 26 years. He was an avid golfer, enjoying his longtime membership at Wawenock Country Club, and loved candlepin bowling.
He leaves his wife of 42 years, Georgia Simmons Vrooman of Nobleboro; two daughters, Annette Vrooman of Rawlins, Wyo., and Carol Cowan of Westbrook; a son and daughter-in-law, Gregory and Yvette Vrooman of Bristol; a sister, Mary Larson of Schenectady; and four grandchildren, Vicki Cowan, and Krystine, Paige, and Adam Vrooman.
Services were held Feb. 2 at the chapel of Strong Funeral Home, Damariscotta, with the Rev. David Clark officiating. He will be laid to rest at Dunbar Cemetery, Nobleboro.
If desired, donations may be made to the Maine Cancer Society, 53 Federal St., Brunswick 04011. 

Alice E.Yates
Alice E. Yates, 88, of Portland, a longtime teacher who enjoyed her family, friends, gardening and her church, died Wed. at Maine Medical Center after a brief illness.
She was born in Portland, a daughter of Herbert L. and Alice M. Keene. She attended Portland schools, and graduated from Gorham Normal School and Gorham State Teachers College.
Yates began teaching in 1931 and over her 43-year career taught in Casco, followed by two years of private tutoring, with several years at Emerson School in Portland and 35 years at Jack Junior High School there, retiring in 1973.
She was an accomplished gardener. Her love of flowers was demonstrated by her past and present memberships in the Longfellow Garden Club, Maine Rose Society and Maine Iris Society. She nurtured many prize-winning irises and roses with her green thumb.
Yates' continued support of the community was reflected in her active membership at Chestnut Street United Methodist Church, where she was involved in the church's finances and worship committees, as well as the Holden Class group. She held memberships in local, state and national teacher organizations and enjoyed needlepoint, rug braiding, painting and playing the piano.
Her husband, Edmund M. Yates, died in 1936.
Surviving are a son, David M. Yates of Bristol; a sister, Margery Schofield of Portland; three grandchildren, Philip Yates of Berwick, Joanna Yates of Falmouth, and Kristen Doughty of Rhode Island; and three great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours were Fri. at Jones, Rich and Hutchins Funeral Home. A service was held Sat., July 31 at the funeral home; Rev. Garvin Warden officiated. Burial was July 31 at Maple Grove Cemetery, Round Pond.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: