Miscellaneous Lincoln County, Maine Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:

Ruth Louise Adams
Ruth Louise Adams, 77, of Waterville, died Nov. 20 at Lakewood Manor Nursing Home.
She was born in Boothbay Harbor, a daughter of Arnold and Madeline Auld Brewer, Sr., and graduated from Boothbay Harbor High School in 1940 and then from Farmington State Normal School in 1944 with a bachelor of science degree,
From 1944 to 1951 she taught home economics in Buckfield, Boothbay Harbor and Mars Hill schools.
She married Walter Bowie in 1947, moved to Malden, Mass. in 1954 and was a teacher for homebound students with physical handicaps. Her husband died on Dec. 25, 1954.
She married Dustin Adams of Boothbay Harbor in 1957 and moved to Wilmington, Del. where she taught home economics in the Claymont school system from 1958 until her early retirement in 1978.
She was nominated National Teacher of the Year for 1976 by the Claymont School District Board of Directors.
Her husband Dustin died in 1978.
She joined the Peace Corps in 1980, serving first two years in Tonga, a group of islands in the South Pacific. She then served in Bangkok, Thailand from 1982 to 1992. She returned to Bangkok on her own as a volunteer until her return to the United States in 1994 because of declining health.
Surviving are a daughter, Barbara Chenoweth of Albion; a son, Calvin Bowie of Manchester, N.H.; a brother, Arnold Brewer Jr. of Boothbay Harbor; a sister, Alice Lee of Boothbay Harbor and Zephyrhills, Fla.; and two granddaughters, Marilyn and Alison, both of Manchester, N.H.
Services will be held at a later date.

Elinor Dorothy Addison
Elinor Dorothy (Cromack) Addison died at Fairlawn Nursing Home in Lexington, Mass. She was 93.
Born in 1905 in Colrain, Mass., Mrs. Addison was a resident of Belmont for 35 years before she and her husband retired to Nobleboro.
After graduation from Deerfield Academy she attended North Adams Teachers College and was employed as a teacher and principal in several elementary schools in Colrain and Shelburne, Mass., between 1924 and 1935. She then married and raised her family in Belmont. She returned to teaching in the 1960's as a substitute and permanent substitute working in every elementary school in Belmont. Her specialty was reading.
She was predeceased by her husband of 55 years, Thomas D. Addison. She is survived by three children Helen J. Blakelock of Belmont, Thomas D. Jr. of California and Joyce E. Everitt of Florida, six grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren.
Funeral services by Bown & Sons Funeral Home, Belmont. Services private. 

Willis E. Alexander, Sr.
Willis Edward Alexander, Sr., 72, of Jefferson, died peacefully Dec. 27 at MaineGeneral Medical Center, Augusta, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer. He passed away with his family and friends at his side.
Born in Phippsburg on July 22, 1927, he was the son of Frederick and Florence (McKenney) Alexander and attended school in Bath while working nights at Bath Iron Works.
He served in the US Army during World War II in the motor pool in Germany. Willis re-enlisted in 1947, serving as a first sergeant during the Korean Conflict, driving a tank. While in Korea, during combat he encountered his brother who was also there.
On Dec. 21, 1957 he married Roseanna Maud Neal in Jefferson.
Willis worked for several years at B.M. Clark in Union as a mechanic and fabricator. He retired in 1981 after working at Togus VA Hospital as a supply manager.
He was past commander of Farrar-Ross Post, VFW, Washington. Willis was a 32-year member of Riverside Lodge No. 135, AF & AM, Jefferson, serving as junior deacon. He was very supportive of the Masonic Lodges in District 10, having made an altar for one lodge and other necessary items for ceremonies. He also was a member of Lakeview Chapter No. 179, Order of the Eastern Star, Jefferson, and of the Whitefield Lions Club. He helped renovate their clubhouse in Coopers Mills with Larry Record.
He was involved in the start-up of Wiscasset Speedway in 1969, was the pace car driver for the last 24 years and served as infield manager for Dave and Sandra St. Clair. Willis raced stock cars at Unity Raceway during the 1950s and 1960s, and raced briefly at Wiscasset.
Surviving are his wife of 42 years of Jefferson; four sons, Willis E., Jr. and Dennis E., both of Jefferson, Gary M. and wife Michelle of Readfield, and Patrick J. and wife Joanie of Augusta; two daughters, April M. Kumm and husband Karl of Fayetteville, N.C. and Patricia J. Carver and husband Brian of Jefferson; a brother, Alfred A. Theibotot and wife Marilyn of Augusta; two sisters, Celia Marston of Augusta and Minerva and husband Donald Weaver of Jefferson; 11 grandchildren, Manuel Guerra, Alberto Guerra, Lannette Cloutier, Danielle Pierce, Katelyn Pierce, Matthew Kumm, David Kumm, Ryleigh Alexander, Danielle Graham, Rowan Alexander, and Cory Alexander; several aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.
Visiting hours: Dec. 30, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m., Gray & Pratt Funeral Home, Windsor Neck Rd., Windsor. Graveside service: Spring 2000, Highland Cemetery, Rt. 126, Jefferson, Rev. Warner Howard officiating. Riverside Lodge No. 135 AF & AM will conduct a public Masonic Memorial service, 7 p.m., Dec. 30, at Gray & Pratt. Memorial gifts may be made to Windsor Volunteer Ambulance Service, PO Box 46, Windsor 04363.

Marion J. Anderson
Marion Jennie Anderson, 79, Jefferson, went home with the Angels on June 7 after a lengthy illness.
Born in Washington on Dec. 8, 1919, she was the daughter of Pearl and Maud (Hibbert) Hisler. She attended both grade school and high school in Washington.
She worked in production for GTE Sylvania in Waldoboro, retiring after 32 years there as an assembly worker.
She loved family gatherings and cooking, and spending time with her family and friends. She had several springer spaniels over the years, and was especially fond of her dog Mick who loved to ride in the car with her. She loved the outdoors and enjoyed walking in the fields.
Her companion of 43 years, Clyde Crummett, died in 1997.
Surviving are two daughters, Marlene Crosby of Jefferson and her friend, Charles Oliver of St. George, and Sharon Thebeau and husband Don of Somerville; three sons, Donald Anderson and wife Darlene, and David Anderson and wife Sharon, all of Jefferson, and Gerald Anderson, Sr. and wife Shirley of Bremen; a sister, Hazel Huntington and husband Francis of Jefferson; nine grandchildren, Greg Brann and wife Candee of Beulaville, N.C., Corey Brann of Augusta, Ashley Anderson of Jefferson, Patricia Leach of Warren, Dean Crosby and wife Valerie of Barnstead Center, N.H., Justine Chasse and husband Pat of Brewer, Todd Anderson and wife Rebecca of Bremen, Gerald Anderson, Jr. and wife Michelle of Bremen, and Bruce Anderson and fiancee Deborah Willey of Bremen; two sisters-in-law, Dena Hibbert of Litchfield and Mary Hibbert of Middletown, Conn.; 15 great-grandchildren; and several nieces, nephews, cousins, and all of their families, and many friends.
Her sister, Ernestine Hibbert, and five brothers, Calvin, Donald, Kenneth, Royal and Auldin Hibbert, all died previously.
Calling hours will be held Thurs., June 10, from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. at Gray & Pratt Funeral Home, Windsor Neck Rd., Windsor, where a funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Fri., June 11. The Rev. Warner Howard will officiate. Burial will be at Sand Hill Cemetery, Somerville.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Lung Association of Maine, 122 State St., Augusta 04330. 

Darlene R. Anderson
Darlene R. Anderson, 44, of Jefferson, died Aug. 25 at her residence.
She was born in Damariscotta on Nov. 18, 1954, the daughter of George W. and Gertrude M. (Lincoln) Stickney. She graduated from Wiscasset High School and worked as a clerk for Lincoln, Sagadahoc and Kennebec court systems for several years. In 1994 she moved to Jefferson from Westport Island.
She is survived by her father, George W. Stickney Jr. of Jefferson; two daughters, Michelle Chartier of Westport Island and Marsha Appleyard of Linwood, N.J.; two sons, Chuck Chartier of Boothbay and Amos Chartier of Jefferson; one brother, George W. Stickney III of Whitefield; one sister, Bertha "Bee Bee" Naylor of South Bristol; four grandchildren, Darien, Jessica and Shelby Appleyard, and Phillip Wallace; and two nieces and one nephew.
Visiting hours were Aug. 29 at May & Daigle Funeral Home, 40 Federal St., Wiscasset. A graveside service was held Aug. 30 at Highland Cemetery, Jefferson. 

Dale Kerry Andrews
Dale Andrews, 48, of Litchfield, died Sun., Sept. 12 at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center at Togus.
He was born in Gardiner, a son of Everard and Rosalie Wheeler Andrews, and attended local schools.
In 1971 he enlisted in the Army and served a tour of duty in Vietnam.
Mr. Andrews worked as an office manager for Dirigo Blasting in Gardiner for many years.
He enjoyed spending time with his brothers, riding motorcycles and boating.
He was the fiancee of Frances Prout of Augusta.
Surviving are his parents of Gardiner; one son, Dale Jr. of Waterville; one daughter, Angela Andrews of Baltimore, Md.; three sisters, Leta Warren of South Carolina, Dixie Leavitt of North Whitefield and Laurie Whitney of Mt. Vernon; and five brothers, Donald of Gardiner, Keith of Pittston, Kevin of West Gardiner, Marc of Manchester, N.H. and Lorne of Litchfield.
A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Sept. 15 at Kincer Funeral Home, 14 South Pleasant St., Richmond, with the Rev. Jack Fles officiating. 

Flossie Phyllis Dailey
Flossie Phyllis Dailey, 89, Jefferson died at home on Oct. 9, just four weeks before her 90th birthday. 
She had lived next door to her eldest son James B. Dailey, III and daughter-in-law Genie Dailey, for more than twenty years. Phyllis and her husband, James B. Dailey, Jr. who predeceased her in 1983, had moved to Maine from Bridgewater, Conn. after retiring in 1977. In addition to Jim and Genie, Phyllis A. (Paddy) Hannigan and son-in-law Patrick A. Hannigan of Jamestown. RI and their children Theresa Phyllis, Patrick James, and Meghan Leigh Hannigan, a son William M. Dailey and daughter-in-law Diane M. Dailey and daughter-in-law Diane M. Dailey of New Milford, Conn. and their daughter Renee.
In addition, she is survived by two brothers, Sherman Mitchell of Willow City, Tex. and Norman Mitchell of Camp Hill, Penn. Two brothers, Wellman (Mitch) and Wellington (Bud) Mitchell, and a sister, Julia Wimmers predeceased her. She also leaves many loving cousin, nieces, and nephews in Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, Kentucky, Washington State, New York and Massachusetts. Phyllis was beloved and respected by everyone in the family, as she unselfishly loved each one and became their trusted adviser and confidante. Her passing leaves a huge vacancy in the family.
Born Nov. 10, 1909, Phyllis was the fourth of six children born to Frank Hoyt and Ada Belle (Corwin) Mitchell of Rushsylvania, Ohio. The Mitchells were self-sustaining dairy farmers, and Phyllis enjoyed telling stories about the farm and all the changes she’d seen since her girlhood there. She often spoke of being driven to school in a horse-drawn cart or sleigh, and of the Rural Electrification Project of the 1920’s and the “firsts” that came with it--milking machines in the barn and a radio in the hours. While the family was far from wealthy, Phyllis recalled that her father was often the first in their small town to obtain the latest gadgets.
In high school, Phyllis enjoyed playing basketball -- despite her petite stature. After graduation, she went to Columbus, Ohio to attend the Miami Valley School of Nursing, and she earned her RN in 1930. Soon after she moved to New York City, where she worked at Bellevue Hospital, and later worked at Mineola Hospital on Long Island. She met James B. Dailey Jr., a young accountant on a blind date, and they were married on April 13, 1935. Through the 1940s they resided on Long Island, and their three children were born there. In 1945 the Daileys established a business called Eronel Services, which machined and finished parts for high tension lines and transformers, and in 1950, they moved the family and the business to New Milford, Conn.
As their three children got older, Phyllis returned to work in nursing, primarily for the Visiting Nurses Association in New Milford. As a VNA nurse, she oversaw immunization efforts in local schools, managed well-baby clinics, and called at the homes of both the infirm elderly and mothers of new babies.
Upon retiring to Jefferson the Daileys became communicants of St. Denis roman Catholic Church in Whitefield. Phyllis was a member of the church’s senior activity group, The Young and Restless, and especially enjoyed their occasional card parties. She was hard to beat at Canasta and Cribbage. Until a few years ago, she often crocheted afghans for the residents of County Manor Nursing Home in Coopers Mills. Phyllis never allowed her mind to be idle and was a fan of “Wheel of Fortune” and Jeopardy”, and avid watcher of news and sports on TV, and a reader of U.S. News & World Report. At the age of 87 she learned to use a computer, and until a few weeks before her death got great enjoyment from e-mailing friends and relatives, and playing computer Solitaire.
Phyllis and her family greatly appreciated the care, companionship, and devotion provided by their neighbor Barbara Cooper, who helped Phyllis everyday for many months before her death. The family also expresses their appreciation for the high caliber of at-home care provided by the HealthReach organization in Augusta. Terry Blodgett, RN and Nadine Murphy, CNA, became like members of the family. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to HealthReach, 32 Winthrop St. Augusta, Me. 04330
Visitation hours are from 2-4 and 7-9 on Tue., Oct. 12 at the Gray & Pratt Funeral Home in Windsor. Phyllis’s life celebration mass at St. Denis Catholic Church, North Whitefield on Oct. 13 with Rev. John Audibert officiating.
She will be interred with her husband at the Center Cemetery in New Milford, Conn. Arrangements in Connecticut are being provided by Lillis Funeral Home in New Milford. 

Ruth Seabury Dalton
Ruth Seabury Dalton, 75, Brunswick, died at her home at Willow Grove, Nov. 23 after a long battle with cancer. A direct descendant of John Alden and Myles Standish of the Mayflower company, she was born May 14, 1923 in Portland. She moved with her parents, Gilman and Frances C. Seabury to Rockland. Attending Rockland Schools, she was graduated from Rockland High School in 1941 and later attended Ballard Business School.
Trained as a pianist and organist, Mrs. Dalton played for several churches and events in the Camden-Rockland region.
In 1943 she and John E. Dalton of Freeport, NY, were married in Rockland. In 1955 the family moved to Nobleboro where she remained active in community affairs and musical circles. She was a member of the Pemaquid Chapter of the DAR, the Twin Village Women's Club and served on the Board of Directors at the Lincoln Home in the 1960s.
She was employed for many years as a floral designer, and for 12 years worked at the Come Again Shop, both in Damariscotta. She moved to Brunswick following her husband's death in 1987.
Mrs. Dalton leaves her two daughters, Martha Oliver of Taylor Mill, Ky., Judith Zajeckowski of Brunswick and four granddaughters, Stacey Costello, Allison Patterson, Kristen Clukey and Karen Clukey.
She will be laid to rest with her husband, at the Oak Hill Cemetery, Camden. A celebration of her life will be 1 p.m., Sat., Dec. 12, at the Second Congregational Church, Newcastle, Rev. Tom Potter and Michael Stevens co-officiating. If desired, donations may be made to the Brunswick Chapter of Hospice, 331 Maine St., Brunswick, 04011 in Mrs. Dalton's memory. Arrangements are under the direction of the Strong Funeral Home, Damariscotta. 

Florence T. Davis
Florence Thomas Davis, 89, of Kennett Square, Penn., and New Harbor, passed away Feb. 19 at the home of her daughter in Tucson, Ariz., where she and her cat were visiting.
She was born May 16, 1909 in Philadelphia, the daughter of Walter Horstman Thomas and Natalie Taylor. Following the untimely death of her mother, her father married Ruth Boomer. She attended Baldwin School for Girls in Bryn Mawr, Penn., and Vassar College where she majored in music. She subsequently obtained a master's degree in psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, and she became a teacher at Episcopal Academy.
As a child she had enjoyed summers in Maine at her grandmother's house in Kennebunkport and also attended Beaver Camp. She traveled extensively as a young woman, to Europe, Asia and Africa.
On Oct. 24, 1940, she married Henry Davis III, an architect. Mrs. Davis took a leave from her teaching to raise her three children in Bala-Cynwyd, Penn. She became involved in Girl Scouts. When her children were almost grown, she returned to school, obtaining certification in clinical psychology, and returned to teaching, at Green Tree School in Philadelphia until her retirement. She then became involved in community service work, manning crisis hot-lines and driving for "Wheels", which provided private transportation for individuals who did not have any.
Following the death of her stepmother, Mr. and Mrs. Davis assumed ownership of Spruce Ledge, one of the first summer homes on MacFarland Shore Rd. She had been a working member of Rising Tide until she could no longer drive.
Mrs. Davis was a member of the Vassar Alumni Class of '31, a staunch devotee of the Philadelphia Orchestra, an avid reader, and enjoyed knitting, crewel, and playing the piano.
She is survived by her daughters, Natalie D. Carlton and husband Glenn of Tucson, Ariz., and Jeanne Belasik and husband Paul of Kennett Square, Penn.; a son, Henry Davis IV and wife Ruth of Calgary, Alberta, Canada; her brother, B. Brooks Thomas of New York and Essex, Conn.; four grandchildren, Clint (Kerri) Carlton of Buda, Tex., Meghan and Vanessa Davis of Calgary, and Wylie Belasik of Kennett Square, Penn.; a nephew, Pierre Ravacon; a niece, Clemance Mershon; her special friend, Douglas Martin of Philadelphia; and by her cat, Mickey (formerly of the Lincoln County Animal Shelter).
She was predeceased by her husband and by her sister, Claire Ravacon.
Services will be held March 6 at St. Asaph's Church in Bala- Cynwyd, Penn.
Memorial donations may be made to one's favorite charity, to the Philadelphia Orchestra, to Green Tree School, or to the Lincoln County Animal Shelter, Atlantic Highway, North Edgecomb 04556. 

A. Howard Davison
A. Howard “Howie” Davison, 82, of Edgecomb, known for bringing music to people through the Merry Barn and his volunteer efforts, died Dec. 2 at St. Andrew’s Hospital Boothbay Harbor, after a brief illness.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., a son of Estelle and Elmer Davison, he grew up in Brooklyn and Larchmont, N.Y., and summered at the family cottage in Round Pond. He attended Coburn Classical Institute in Waterville and returned to New York to graduate from Mamaroneck High School.
Although he never learned to play an instrument, Mr. Davison loved music and after graduation returned to the Damariscotta area to open his own record store, but he was drafted in 1941 and served the next five years at various stateside military bases as a member of the Army’s Signal Corps.
Mr. Davison returned to Maine in the early 1950s and purchased the Merry Farm homestead on River Road in Edgecomb, turning it into the Merry Barn.
According to a daughter, Beth Weller of Falmouth, Mr. Davison used tin cans, wagon wheels and other homemade “funky lighting things” to create a unique atmosphere in the Merry Barn. With sock hops in the 1950s, live bands in the 1960s and 1970s, and square dancing all the time, the Merry Barn became the most popular nightspot in the Midcoast, his family said.
Mr. Davison became well known throughout Maine and New England for his square dance calling, traveling to many town halls, including local island communities, to provide an evening of dancing and entertainment.
According to his family, he became so popular that Tom Watson, U.S. Ambassador to Russia, invited Mr. Davison and his wife to throw one of their famous square dancing parties in Russia.
“Wanting to lend a helping hand if he could,” Mr. Davison began volunteering to bring his beloved music to others after he retired from calling. He dedicated the next 20 years to providing music programs and sing-alongs to nursing homes. Mr. Davison continued to volunteer until last summer, his daughter said.
Surviving are his wife, Ruth Hilton Davison of Edgecomb; a son, Howard H. Davison of Bancroft; daughters Beth D. Weller of Falmouth and Heather R. Webster of Norridgewock; a brother, Elmer J. Davison of Round Pond; and five grandchildren.
Remembrance service: Dec. 5, Edgecomb Congregational Church.

Michael T. Donovan
Michael T. Donovan, 49, Brunswick, died Jan. 30 of cancer at his home.
He was born in Gardiner on Oct. 29, 1950, the son of William J. and June R. Lemar Donovan. He graduated from Gardiner Area High School with honors in 1969 and held athletic letters in football, basketball and baseball.
He continued his education at Thomas College, where he also played basketball, scoring more than 1000 points during his career. He was co-captain of the 19972-73 team and named most valuable player. He graduated in 1973 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
Donovan worked for Central Maine Power Co. for 24 years. From 1982-92 he was a district manager in Farmington and from 1992-97 was regional director of the coastal region. Until his illness, he was director of customer operations for Central Maine Power International Consultants in Perm, Russia.
He was a past president of the Farmington Rotary Club, a director of the Farmington Chamber of Commerce and a past member of the Elks Lodge in Gardiner.
He was predeceased by his mother in 1972 and a brother, Richard Gould in 1995.
He is survived by his daughter, Karen L. Donovan of Brunswick; his father of Pittston; four sisters, Patricia Royal of Gardiner, Judith Rogers of South Gardiner, Rita Lessner of West Gardiner, and Katherine Knox of Aurora, Colo.; a brother, William J. Donovan II of Whitefield; an aunt, Mona Lemar of Gardiner; nine cousins and 15 nieces and nephews.
Service: None, per deceased’s request. Burial: Donovan family lot in the spring. Arrangements: Staples Funeral Home, 53 Brunswick Ave., Gardiner 04345.
Memorial contributions: American Cancer Society, 52 Federal St., Brunswick 04011-2194.

Perley Milton Dunton
Perley Milton Dunton, 92, Edgecomb, died March 28 at the Gregory Wing in Boothbay Harbor.
He was born here, a son of Fred and Mary Burnham Dunton.
Mr. Dunton managed a lumber mill for many years, and later a mill that made lobster-trap stock.
He was a member of the National Rifle Association.
His pastimes included hunting and camping at his camp in Plymouth, and tinkering on cars.
His wife, Edythe Merrill Dunton, died in 1993.
Surviving are a son, Albert of Leesburg, Fla.; two daughters, Marjorie Thompson of Florida and Joan Swift of Connecticut; a stepdaughter, Dorothy Williams of Edgecomb; and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
A private burial will be in North Edgecomb Cemetery. Arrangements are by Simmons, Harrington and Hall Funeral Home, Boothbay.

George W. Durfee
George W. "Pop" Durfee, 67, Boothbay Harbor, died Fri., Sept. 17 at St. Andrews Hospital in Boothbay Harbor. He was born July 3, 1932 in Boothbay Harbor the son of William and Grace Pinkham Durfee. He grew up and attended local schools in Boothbay Harbor. He started lobstering at age 14 and lobstered all of his life. He was known all over as "The Legend", amongst other fishermen. Lobstering was his life. He was very intuitive and knowledgeable about his work. He loved to talk with other fishermen about business and was well known for his dry sense of humor, honesty, and directness. He was a strong family man and cared deeply about his family. He was a veteran of Korean War in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the V.F.W. and the American Legion. He was predeceased by a son, George W. Durfee, II who died in 1991. He is survived by his wife of 42 years: Joyce Barlow Durfee, daughters: Lorna-Jeanne and her husband Steve Earle and Laurie Ruth Durfee, son: Lawrence W. Durfee, brother: Lawrence Durfee, sister: Virginia Pearce, three grandchildren: Stephanie Earle, Heather Anne and Alexander Durfee, all of Boothbay Harbor, several cousins and nephews. Funeral at 2 p.m. Wed., Sept. 22 at the Boothbay Baptist Church. Rev. Dan McNutt officiates. Burial will follow in the Evergreen Cemetery, Boothbay. Donations may be made in his memory to the Fishermen's Memorial Fund, RR 1, Box 315, Back River Road, Boothbay 04537. Arrangements are under the direction of Simmons, Harrington & Hall Funeral Home, Boothbay. 

Cynthia Corthell Durgin
Cynthia Corthell (Guibord) Durgin, 82, of Bristol passed from this life on Aug. 23 after a three year battle with Alzheimer's at Harbor Hill, Belfast.
Cynthia was the daughter of Mark Almy and Marion (Hastings) Corthell and granddaughter of Arthur Bateman and Lena (Foster) Corthell. She was born in Greenfield, Mass. on May 5, 1917 and grew up in Brookline and Newton, Mass. where she graduated from Newton High School in 1935.
She married Loring Ralph Guibord of Melrose Mass. in 1940 and was married for 30 years until his death in 1970. While residing in Westwood, Mass., Newton, Conn., Medfield and Wayland, Mass. she raised two children. She is survived by her son, Russell Guibord of Bristol; daughter Betsy Callachan of Raynham; Mass.; four grandchildren, William, Mark and Andrew Callachan and Jennifer Guibord; as well as three great grandchildren. Cynthia is also survived by her sister Ann Hirth of Wenatchee, Wash. and her brother John Corthell of Santa Barbara, Cal.
In 1986 Cynthia married Chesley Durgin, Col., US Army (ret.) of Lee, N.H. and lived in Lee and Longboat Key, Fla. until his death in 1994.
During her full life she was a devoted homemaker, mother and care giver. Self-educated, Cynthia had a deep love and appreciation for music and art. She was active in volunteer work at local libraries, PTA, and at Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth, N.H. She enjoyed gardening and needlepoint, leaving her many perennial gardens and works for others to enjoy. Her tenacity for independence was admired and respected by all those who knew her.
At Cynthia's request, there will be no services. She will be interred at the family plot in Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, Mass. A very special thanks goes out from her family to the outstanding staff at Harbor Hill. 

Emily D. Ferrier
Emily Donaldson Ferrier, 82, of Jefferson, died Feb. 2 at Country Manor Nursing Home, Coopers Mills.
A long-time resident of Country Manor, she was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. on Jan 28, 1918, the first child of Mary Emily (Smith) and Clarence Edmund Cranch.
Emily graduated from Trenton State College, Trenton, N.J. with a Bachelor of Arts in music education and began teaching in Point Pleasant. She worked there for three years and played cello in the Spring Lake Symphony.
She married her husband, Robert J. Ferrier, in Maryland on May 30, 1941. After his WWII service the family moved to West Trenton. In 1951 the Ferriers moved to Pompton Plains, N.J. and Emily resumed her teaching career.
For 12 years she taught vocal music in elementary schools, retiring in 1968. Emily and Bob were active members of the Pompton Reformed Church in Pompton Lakes. She was also a cellist in a community string orchestra there.
Having spent many summer vacations camping near Wiscasset, the Ferriers purchased land in Jefferson and retired there in 1974.
They joined St. Giles Episcopal Church and Emily played the organ there for almost eight years. She was also active in the Young at Heart Senior Citizens group in Coopers Mills. She enjoyed various arts and crafts, especially crocheting, but music remained her greatest gift.
She leaves behind her devoted husband of nearly 59 years; two daughters, Lucy Norman and husband Don, and Genie Dailey and husband Jim, all of Jefferson; brother Edmund T. Cranch and wife Virginia of Amherst, N.H.; sister and brother-in-law Eugenie and Thorwald A. Van Dyke of Lancaster, Pa.; two nieces; two nephews, and a number of cousins.
The family wishes to thank the staff at Country manor for their caring attention through Emily’s residence there. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Resident Council Fund, Country Manor Nursing Home, Coopers Mills 04341
Visitation: Feb. 4, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m., Gray & Pratt Funeral Home, Windsor Neck Rd., Windsor. Funeral service: Feb. 5, 1 p.m., St. Giles Episcopal Church, Rt. 126, Jefferson. Interment: Highland Cemetery, Jefferson, in the spring.

Marcia Fite
Dr. Marcia Fite, 87, died Jan. 20 at the Gregory Wing in Boothbay Harbor after an extended illness.
She was born Aug. 22, 1911 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., daughter of Emerson D. and Alice Nye Fite. Dr. Fite graduated from Vassar College and received her doctorate from the Yale School of Medicine. Most of her career was devoted to clinical research.
She summered at Pemaquid Point as a child with her parents. Upon retiring, she relocated to the Point and built a log cabin.
It was her wish that no memorial service be held. 

William M. Flanagan
William M. Flanagan, 76, Nobleboro, died unexpectedly Jan. 5, at his home. He was treasurer of the Midcoast Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. He was Chairperson of the Nobleboro Democratic Party and Master of the Nobleboro Grange.
Born in Norfolk, Va., one of three children, Bill was a son of Olivia Driscoll Flanagan and Paul Flanagan. He received his bachelor's degree from Hampden-Sydney College and masters in engineering from the University of Illinois. Serving in the US Navy during WWII, he was stationed in the Aleutians as Lieutenant (J.G.).
Before his retirement to Nobleboro in 1991, Bill worked as an electrical engineer at Hazeltine Electronics and Dell Electronics, both in New York. He was the author of the Handbook of Transformer Design and Applications (1986, 1993).
Bill and Dorothy Bille Morries Flanagan were married Jan. 4, 1945. Together they enjoyed travel, theatre and sharing the inevitable ups and downs of life. Bill was an ardent sailor and dog and cat owner. Always alive intellectually, Bill continued to study and learn in retirement and in 1994 printed a private collection of his own poetry. Because it was important to him to do what he thought right, he questioned everything, including his own choices.
Bill was equipped with a deep and quiet sense of humor and actively pursued interests in science, nature, astronomy and gardening. His home is filled with the distinctive style of his woodworking.
He is survived by his wife Billie of Nobleboro; five children Margaret Cinbers of So. Orange, NJ, Anne Flanagan of Chicago, Ill., Malcolm Flanagan of Weston, Conn., Marta Flanagan of Kittery, Gavin Flanagan of San Francisco, Cal.; two sisters, Martha Jane Wilson of Kansas City, Mo., Elizabeth Bowlin of Luauxinburg, NC, and ten grandchildren.
A memorial service was held Jan. 9, at the Edgecomb Historic Town Hall, meeting place of the Midcoast Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. Rev. Katherine Winthrop officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Skidompha Library, Damariscotta, 04543, in his memory. Arrangements are under the direction of the Strong Funeral Home, Damariscotta. 

Russell W. Gamage
Russell Gamage, 81, passed away June 14 in Playa del Rey, Cal.
He was born Sept. 24, 1917 in Provincetown, Mass., the son of Rosswell and Roxie Hanna Gamage. He graduated from high school in Fairhaven, Mass., received a B.S. in M.E. from the University of Maine in 1939 and an M.S. in C.E. from the University of Conn. in 1943. He was a member of a two-year engineering student training course at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in East Hartford, Conn. (1939-1942), following which he transferred to the Research Division of the Untied Aircraft Corporation (1943-1950).
From 1951 to 1953 he worked for Sverdrup & Parcel Consulting Engineers as the Aerodynamic Group Leader for the design and construction of the Propulsion Wind Tunnel at the Arnold Engineers Development Center, Tullahoma, Tenn. This was a short- term position after which he and his family could have moved to Tennessee, but Russell chose to change positions and go to Northrop Aircraft Corporation in Los Angeles.
While there he was a member of the Propulsion Group in the Advanced Design Section. He designed and directed construction of a 2000 horsepower subsonic wind tunnel and an Inlet and Duct Test Facility, and was also involved in the production of the Stealth bomber.
In 1964 he formed his own company, the Dunamis Company, for the purpose of proving the feasibility of his new engine concept, the Gamage engine, including design, construction and testing of two engine configurations.
He leaves his wife of almost 58 years, Bernice Smith Gamage, his daughter Cherry Gamage O'Connell and her husband Raymond O'Connell, his son Russell Raymond Gamage and his wife Terry Rice Gamage, and two grandchildren, David and Lynelle Gamage.
Second marriages of both daughter and son added ten more grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and one great great grandchild. He leaves three nephews and their wives: James and Marilyn Alexander, David and Blanche Alexander, and Wells and Maureen Anderson. He also leaves one nephew, Wayne Anderson and two nieces and their husbands: Susan and Charles Reed and Kristin and Rick Johnson, and cousins beyond count, many still in the New Harbor and Round Pond areas.
The Gamages lived in California for 45 years, but New Harbor, Christmas Cove and Round Pond were still "home."
A memorial service will be held at the Round Pond United Methodist Church on Sat., Aug. 28 at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made in Gamage's name to the Round Pond United Methodist Church, Round Pond, ME 04564 or to Miles Memorial Health Care, Bristol Rd., Damariscotta 04543.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: