Miscellaneous Cumberland County, Maine Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:

Friday, November 12, 1999

James Russell Carver Jr. 
strong, resourceful farmer; loved to hunt 
LINCOLNVILLE James Russell Carver Jr., who died Thursday at age 72, stitched together a rich life with green baling twine and whatever else was handy.
Born to James Russell Carver Sr. and Jennie Hardy Carver in 1927, Mr. Carver was raised on the family farm on Youngstown Road.
When just 12, he found himself being chased across a field by his uncle's bull, forced to scramble onto a pile of 4-foot logs. He hefted one of the logs and stopped the bull in its tracks with a whack between the horns.
"He was a strong boy. He was strong right up to today,'' said Barbara Barrett Carver, his wife of 45 years as well as his farming partner and hunting companion. 
His handling of the bull, who recovered within a few days, was an early hint to Mr. Carver's lifelong credo: Use what's at hand to do what's necessary. It served him well when, after serving in the Navy during World War II, he eventually bought Valley Farm, a dairy farm in Hope.
"A piece of baling twine used to mend a lot of things: tie up (the cows') drinking cups and hold together a door, kind of temporary hinging,'' his wife said. "He could fix about anything . . . and he always managed to take care of his sick cows, as a general rule. He knew how to roll up his sleeve and wash his arm off in a little alcohol and go fishing for a calf.''
Mr. Carver met his future wife on a bitterly cold night at a friend's New Year's Eve party. It was so cold, she recalled, that when he pressed on the rim of her car's steering wheel to blow the horn, it snapped off.
"I guess he felt indebted, so he called me the next day and it just kind of started out,'' she said. They were married in 1954.
The couple loved to hunt together, and were quite successful bagging deer on the mountains surrounding their farm, although she suspected they would have done better had they not been so taken by the scenery. Mr. Carver's last buck was his best, his wife said.
"He would get up and have his slippers on, not get totally dressed, just shove on a shirt and run out to the mailbox and get the morning paper,'' she recalled. One morning three years ago, he looked up and spotted two deer in the field across the road, one of them a 10-point buck. He scooted inside quickly, grabbed his rifle and, without hesitating to get properly dressed, had his deer. 
"That was the beginning of a good winter's meat supply,'' she said. The deer was fondly remembered as the boudoir buck.
Mr. Carver was a bit skeptical in 1988 when his new neighbor, a woman from away with a lilting British accent, announced she intended to help the couple with the farm. But Elizabeth O'Haverty was raised on the British island of Jersey, ancestral home of the Carvers, and she came to be a close family friend. She also worked every day with Barbara Carver to raise beef stock and replacement heifers after Mr. Carter had a heart attack in 1991 and sold his dairy herd. 
"He and Barbara have both for the past 10 years been an incredible influence on my life,'' O'Haverty said. "He was one of the people they don't make anymore. He was cast in his own mold, as many of the old Mainers were. Jim never got homogenized. He was his own guy.''
Mr. Carver was a charter member of the Hatchet Mountain Sno-Riders Club, developing many of the trails near his home. He was also a Mason and this year received his 50-year pin from the Lincolnville Masonic Lodge.
Surviving are his wife, of Lincolnville; one daughter, Linda Dahmen Pearse; and four sisters, Lucille Masalin, Hope Tibbetts, Doris Delano and Winifred Marriner.
A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday in Hope Grove Cemetery, Hatchet Mountain Road, Hope. Arrangements are by Laite and Pratt Funeral Home, Camden. 

Annie H. Ricker 
liked to camp, crochet, solve cryptographs 
Annie H. Ricker, 77, of State Street and formerly of Edgeworth Avenue, died Thursday at a Freeport nursing home after a brief illness.
She was born in Boston, a daughter of Charles A. and Eva H. O'Brien McDonald. She attended Portland parochial schools and graduated from Cathedral High School.
She was a communicant of St. Joseph's Catholic Church.
Her hobbies included camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, crocheting, reading and solving cryptographs.
Her husband of 58 years, Rodney O. Ricker Sr., died in 1998.
Surviving are one son, Rodney O. Ricker Jr., of Brunswick; one daughter, Carole A. Mitchell of North Richland Hills, Texas; two sisters, Jean Winship of Portland and Helen Creau of Sicklerville, N.J.; two brothers, Norman McDonald of Portland and Fredrick McDonald of Buxton; four grandchildren and seven great- grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Jones, Rich and Hutchins Funeral Home, 199 Woodford St., where prayers will be recited at 10:15 a.m. Monday. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, followed by burial in New Calvary Cemetery.

Claudine D. Chenard 
worked at textile mill, department store 
BIDDEFORD Claudine D. Chenard, 81, of South Street, died Wednesday at Southridge Living Center after a long illness.
She was born in Sherbrooke, Quebec, a daughter of Louis and Roseanne Labrecque Dubuque. She moved to the area with her family in the early 1930s and attended Biddeford schools.
She was a member of St. Joseph's Church.
Mrs. Chenard worked for many years at Boucher Department Store and Pepperell Manufacturing Co. in Biddeford, retiring in 1956.
She crocheted, walked, tatted and baked desserts.
Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Raymond (Claire) Jean of Arundel; three sisters, Fernande G. Bertrand of Biddeford, Simonne Loranger of Saco and Lorraine Binette of Saco and Florida; and two granddaughters.
Visiting hours will be from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. today at Hope Memorial Chapel, 480 Elm St. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. today at St. Anne's Chapel. Burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery. 

Dorothy M. Curtis 
enjoyed cooking, beano, being with family 
WESTBROOK Dorothy M. Curtis, 81, formerly of Gertrude Street in Portland, died Wednesday at Springbrook Nursing Center after a long illness.
She was born in Augusta, a daughter of Joseph and Gladys Pratt Martin, attended local schools and graduated from Augusta High School.
She enjoyed cooking, playing beano and spending time with family and friends.
Mrs. Curtis was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church in Portland.
Her husband, Edwin Curtis, died in 1991.
Surviving are three sons, Philip and Ronald, both of Portland, and Barry of Old Orchard Beach; seven grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Hay and Peabody Funeral Home, 749 Congress St., Portland. A funeral Mass will be said at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Joseph's Church, 673 Stevens Ave., Portland, with the Rev. Ted Corley officiating. Burial will follow in Calvary Cemetery, South Portland. 

Debra B. Lake 
worked in securities industry 
WESTBROOK Debra B. Lake, 53, died Wednesday at Maine Medical Center in Portland, of complications from a brain aneurysm.
She was born in Chesterville, a daughter of Dana Butterfield and Iva Clements Butterfield. She attended Farmington High School, where she was a majorette. She developed an interest in horses while growing up on her family's small farm.
In 1964 she married Terrance Z. Lake. After giving birth to a daughter, the family moved to Albany, N.Y., where Mrs. Lake worked for the phone company. The Lakes later returned to Maine and settled in the Portland area.
Ms. Lake worked for H.M. Payson and Dean Witter in the securities industry. She also worked part-time at Dress Barn in South Portland.
She was involved in several charities, including the Bruce Roberts Fund and the Ronald McDonald House.
She enjoyed taking her grandchildren camping, as well as hiking, riding motorcycles, fishing, boating and working out. She also spent time shopping, especially for antiques.
Surviving are a daughter, Theresa Lake Hoffer of Scarborough; one sister, Mrs. Clyde (Anita) Allen of New Sharon; two brothers, Dennis Butterfield of Chesterville and Michael Butterfield of Augusta; and two grand- children.
Visiting hours will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today and from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at Jones, Rich and Hutchins Funeral Home, Dunstan Corner, Scarborough, where a funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday. A graveside service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday in Fairview Cemetery, Farmington.

Dorine A. York 
enjoyed singing, country music 
AUBURN Dorine A. York, 69, died Thursday at Clover Health Care, where she had been a longtime resident.
She was born in Wade, a daughter of Lewis W. and Daisy F. Jones York.
She listened to country music and enjoyed singing. She also attended Bible study groups at the nursing home.
Surviving are five sisters, Helen R. Porter of Dade City, Fla., Foustena B. Alley of Naples, Mildred E. Loomis of Topsham, M. Louise Greenier of Vernon, Conn., and Gloria P. Morrill of Yarmouth; and two brothers, Eldon L. York of California and Ace W. York of Yarmouth.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Lindquist Funeral Home, One Mayberry Lane, Yar- mouth, with the Rev. Dr. Alan S. Malcomb officiating. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at Clover Health Care, 440 Minot Ave., Auburn. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery, Yarmouth.

Elsie M. Mann 
operated lakeside summer rentals 
ACTON Elsie Mabelle Mann, 90, of Mann Road, died Wednesday in Sanford after a brief illness.
She was born in Derby, Vt., a daughter of Colby and Flossie Stoddard. She graduated from Orleans (Vt.) High School in 1924 and from Baypath Institute in Springfield, Mass., in 1926.
She worked as a secretary for various companies, including the A.C. Lawrence Leather Company in Peabody, Mass.
In 1936 she and her husband moved to the Mann family farm in Acton. Mrs. Mann took in summer boarders for several years while she raised her family.
From 1948 to 1954, she operated Mann's Trading Post. She and her husband also operated summer rentals on Great East Lake from 1948 until this past summer.
From 1955 to 1965, she worked as a secretary for Lovejoy Orchards. She had been a homemaker since that time.
She was a 50-year member of the Wakefield (N.H.) Women's Club. She enjoyed crocheting afghans, cooking, canning and making jellies.
Surviving are her husband of 70 years, George W. Mann of Acton; one son, Robert S. of Acton; one daughter, Karen L. Mann of Sanford; one sister, Marion Crosscup of Los Angeles; one granddaughter, Katy Mann of Acton; and one great-granddaughter, Mariah Mann of Acton.
A memorial gathering will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Mann Family Cemetery, 267 Mann Road.

Evelyn M. Parks 
worked as private duty nurse 
YARMOUTH Evelyn M. Parks, 83, of East Main Street, died Wednesday at a Westbrook health care facility.
She was born in New Brunswick, Canada, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Byther. She graduated from Stearns High School, Millinocket, and became a registered nurse in Bangor.
She worked for several years as a registered nurse providing private duty care. She spent most of her life raising her family. Her hobbies included playing beano and cards, knitting and crocheting.
She was a member of the Yarmouth Farmer's Cooperative Extension.
Her husband of more than 50 years, Jack C. Parks, died in 1998.
Surviving are five children, Nikki Cunningham of Ladsen, S.C., Patricia Thibodeau of Orono, Jacqueline Kenney of Standish, Michael Parks of Bangor and Thomas Parks of Bar Mills; 13 grandchildren and several great-grand- children.
A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Lindquist Funeral Home, One Mayberry Lane. Burial will be in Pinegrove Cemetery.

Fern H. Pio 
In Thursday's obituary for Fern H. Pio, 71, who died Tuesday, her maiden name was misspelled Balis. She was born a daughter of Louis and Rose Cote Blais. Her five surviving brothers also have the surname Blais. Also, her brother, Norman Blais, lives in Turner.
Incorrect information was provided to the newspaper. 

Frank S. Tirabassi Jr. 
dedicated father and family man 
Frank S. Tirabassi Jr., 52, of Washington Avenue, died Wednesday at Maine Medical Center after a brief battle with cancer.
He was born and raised in Portland, a son of Brigida Martini Tirabassi and Frank S. Tirabassi Sr. He attended local schools and graduated from Portland High School. He also received a degree in education from the University of Southern Maine in Gorham.
Mr. Tirabassi taught at Cape Elizabeth Junior High School and later worked as a manager for the Larry Rose Golf Course, Coles Express, and was then terminal manager for St. Johnsbury, before becoming self-employed. At the time of his death he was employed by Lampron's Energy.
He was a member of the Italian Heritage Center, and was volunteer coordinator, assisting on such events as the children's Halloween and Christmas parties, boat cruises, turkey shoots, lobster bakes, Christmas fairs and New Year's Eve parties.
His favorite pastimes included family cook-outs, walking on Baxter Boulevard, reading and spending time with his family.
Surviving are his father of Portland; one daughter, Jennifer Lynn Tirabassi of Saco; one son, Philip Tirabassi of Burlington, Vt.; one sister, Mrs. Lawrence (Louise) Casale of Portland; and one brother, Gary Tirabassi of Falmouth.
Visiting hours will be from 6 to 9 p.m. today at Jones, Rich and Hutchins Funeral Home, 199 Woodford St., where prayers will be recited at 8 a.m. Saturday. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter's Catholic Church, 72 Federal St. Burial will follow in New Calvary Cemetery, South Portland.

Grace E. Major 
had summer home in Friendship 
BRATTLEBORO, Vt. Grace E. Major, 98, also of Friendship, Maine, died Wednesday at Linden Lodge Nursing Home.
She was born in Auburn, Maine, a daughter of William and Mary Morse Lowe, and attended school in Swampscott, Mass. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Smith College in 1924 with a major in music. While a student there, she worked to transform the Glee Club, a casual group singing popular songs, into a serious organization that performed classical works.
She studied for several summers at the Concord Music School and did graduate work in music at Harvard University and the Longy School.
She taught music in the public school system in Princeton, N.J.
In 1928 she married Dr. Randolph T. Major and they lived in Princeton and Mountainside, N.J., Charlottesville, Va., and Storrs, Conn. Their summer home is still in Friendship, Maine.
After the death of her husband in 1976, Mrs. Major lived with or near her children in Hightstown, N.J., Concord, Mass., and Brattleboro.
Surviving are one son, Randolph T. Major Jr., of Westminster West, Vt.; three daughters, Mary E. Rubel of Concord, Mass., Anne M. Florey of Princeton, N.J., and Jane M. Farlow of Waldoboro, Maine; 11 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Congregational Church of Westminster West. Burial will be in Friendship, Maine, at the convenience of the family. Arrangements are by Hall's Funeral Home, Waldoboro, Maine. 

Lori Gail Griffin 
enjoyed playing basketball, swimming 
Lori Gail Griffin, 20, of Winter Street died at her home Wednesday, the victim of a homicide.
She was born here, a daughter of Kurtis G. Peterson and Rebecca A. Griffin, and attended local schools.
She enjoyed playing basketball and attended basketball camp for several years. She also enjoyed swimming at the Boys and Girls Club of Portland.
Her maternal grandfather, Edwin M. Griffin, died in 1970.
Surviving are her mother, Rebecca Griffin Roberts of Portland; her father; her stepfather, Donald E. Roberts of Portland; a daughter, Rebecca A. Griffin of Portland; four brothers, Joseph S., Shaun K., and Donald E. Griffin and Tyrome E. Roberts, all of Portland; a sister, Iesha K. Roberts of Portland; her maternal grandmother, Eva M. Griffin of Portland; and her paternal grandparents, John and Ethelyn Sullivan of Chebeague Island.
Visiting hours will be from 2 to 4 p.m. today at Hay and Peabody Funeral Home, 749 Congress St., where a funeral will follow at 4 p.m. The Rev. Arthur Gay will officiate. Burial will be private.

Irene B. Mackell 
played in bowling league; liked to read 
BIDDEFORD Irene B. Mackell, 89, a resident of Granite Street for 55 years, died Wednesday at Southern Maine Medical Center after a brief illness.
She was born here, a daughter of John and Maude Tetreault Berthiaume, and attended local schools.
She was employed by Pepperell Manufacturing Co. for several years.
On Feb. 6, 1942, she married James Leo Mackell at St. Joseph's Church. Mr. Mackell died in 1985.
For many years she participated in the Tuesday morning coffee bowling league. She also enjoyed reading.
Mrs. Mackell was a member of St. Mary's Church.
Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Earl (Stasia) Goodwin of Biddeford; two sons, James J. Mackell of Arundel and Francis L. Mackell of Old Orchard Beach; and five grandsons.
At her request there are no visiting hours. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary's Church. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery. Arrangements are by Hope Memorial Chapel. 

Jeannette Cecelia Manson 
lifetime member of St. Matthew's Church 
LIMERICK Jeannette Cecelia "Fuzzy" Manson, 67, of Elm Street, died Wednesday at Renaissance Center in Biddeford.
She was born in Limerick, a daughter of Lucien and Maria Morin Vermette, attended Limerick schools and graduated from Limerick High School in 1949.
In 1950 she married Frank G. Manson.
She was a lifelong communicant of St. Matthew's Church. In 1962 Mrs. Manson was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and had been a resident at Renaissance Center for the past seven years.
A son, Robert, died previously.
Surviving are her husband of 49 years of Limerick; one son, Richard F. Manson of Limington; two daughters, Mrs. Curt (Patricia) Manson-Thyng of North Waterboro and Mrs. Timothy (Diane) Merrill of Milton, N.H.; four brothers, Andre Vermette of Springvale, Donald Vermette of Limerick and Philip and Maurice Vermette, both of Sanford; two sisters, Marguerite Brown of Sanford and Carmen LePage of Limerick; nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Visiting hours will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. today at Heald Funeral Home, Limerick Chapel, Route 5. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Matthew's Church, with the Rev. Richard Nadeau will officiate. Burial will be in Riverside Cemetery, Cornish. 

Louis E. Curatola 
retired Cumberland County deputy sheriff 
CAPE ELIZABETH Louis Edward Curatola, 71, of Starboard Drive, died Thursday at Mercy Hospital.
He was born in Lawrence, Mass., a son of Joseph A. and Rosaria F. Russo Curatola. He moved to Portland as a child and attended Portland schools.
He worked for the Portland Pilot Board, joined the Merchant Marines and was with the Army Transport Command during World War II.
He was employed for several years at John J. Nissen Bakery, and then was drafted into the Korean War, serving overseas in Korea for two years.
For 28 years he was employed at the First National Bakery before it relocated out of state. He then worked for 14 years as a deputy sheriff in Cumberland County before retiring.
Surviving are his wife of 45 years, Barbara A. Gregory Curatola; his mother of Falmouth; two sons, Michael J. of Rome, N.Y., and Gregory A. of Gorham; one daughter, Barbara Jean Curatola Lambert of Gorham; and six grandchildren.
Visiting hours will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Conroy-Tully South Portland Chapel, 1024 Broadway, where prayers will be recited at 9:15 a.m. Saturday. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday at Holy Cross Church.

Pearl A. Davis 
worked 35 years for S.D. Warren 
Pearl A. Davis, 90, of Washington Avenue, died Thursday at her home after a long illness.
She was born in Westbrook, a daughter of John J. and Clara M. Wood Davis, and attended local schools. She graduated from Westbrook High School in 1927.
For 10 years she worked as a secretary at Portland Credit Co., and for 35 years worked as a tabulator for the former S.D. Warren Co., Westbrook. She retired in 1974.
She was a former member of Warren Congregational Church.
Her hobbies included working in her flower gardens, ceramics, solving crossword puzzles and caring for her many cats.
She had lived on Roy Avenue in Westbrook for most of her life until 18 months ago, when she moved to Portland.
Surviving are one niece, Mrs. Stewart (Marjorie) Bragdon of Portland; and three grandnieces, Marla Dusches- ne of Durham, Julie Leavitt of Topsham and Melanie Rutstrom of Singapore.
There will be no visiting hours. A funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Hay Funeral Home, 795 Main St., Westbrook. Burial will follow in Woodlawn Cemetery, Westbrook.

Robert L. Farrington 
Portland native; cycling, running enthusiast 
ROSEVILLE, Calif. Robert L. Farrington, 68, an all-sports athlete at the University of Maine and San Francisco State University, died Nov. 1 after finishing a cycling run with the Sun City Bicycle Club.
He was born in Portland, Maine, a son of J. Leo and Marion Tanguary Farrington. He attended Old Orchard Beach (Maine) High School, where he lettered in every major sport from 1947 to 1949.
He graduated from Hebron Academy in 1949, and set a new prep school cross country record, which stood for more than 20 years.
He served in the Marines for four years during the Korean War, and later graduated from San Francisco State University in 1959.
He married the former Doris Lux at Old St. Mary's Church in San Francisco.
Mr. Farrington spent most of his life and career in San Jose, where he raised a family of six and was an Allstate insurance agent for 32 years.
He ran the Boston Marathon on several occasions and in 1985 won the San Francisco Marathon in his age category.
Surviving are his wife of 43 years, Doris; two sons, Robert and Randal; four daughters, Jule Shaffer, Linda Murray and Kimberly and Pam Farrington; three brothers, William of Old Orchard Beach, Daniel of Bridgewater, Mass., and James of Biddeford, Maine; and eight grandchildren.
A funeral service was held previously. Burial was in Los Gatos Memorial Park, San Jose. Arrangements are by Darling-Fischer-Campbell Memorial Chapel, Campbell.

Stuart H. Dow 
raised funds for Veterans Administration 
Stuart H. Dow, 74, of State Street, died Wednesday at the Veterans Administration Hospital at Togus.
He was born in Wade, a son of Walter and Harriett Everett Dow.
He served in the Army during World War II and for many years after was involved in raising funds to benefit the Veterans Administration.
Mr. Dow lived in Costa Rica for more than 10 years.
He enjoyed collecting classic cars.
He was proud of his ongoing participation with Alcoholics Anonymous.
Surviving are two sons, John H. of Delaware, and Stuart E. of Florida; four daughters, Deborah Dow Fenimore of Delaware, Rebecca Jackman and Regina Marlow, both of Florida, and Donna Joyce of Illinois; one sister, Wilda Wathen of Augusta; 11 grandchildren and three great- grandchildren.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Knowlton and Hewins Funeral Home, One Church St., Augusta, with the Rev. Dr. J. John Keggi officiating. Burial will be in Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Augusta.

William J. Reagan Sr. 
retired from U.S. Postal Service 
William J. Reagan Sr., of Bancroft Street, and formerly of Fairfield, Conn., died Thursday at a local hospital.
He was born in New Haven, Conn., a son of John and Nellie Murphy Reagan. He attended schools in Bridgeport, Conn., and graduated from Bridgeport High School.
Mr. Reagan worked for the U.S. Postal Service for 30 years, retiring in 1969.
He was a communicant of St. Patrick's Church.
He was also a member of the National Association of Federal Retirees, the Irish American Club and the Knights of Columbus.
He served in the Army in the European theater during World War II.
Surviving are his wife of 59 years, Frances Folchi Reagan; two sons, William Joseph of Yarmouth and Thomas Edward of Roxbury, Conn.; seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A visiting hour will be held at 8:30 a.m. Monday at Conroy-Tully Funeral Home, 172 State St., where prayers will be said at 9:15 a.m. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Patrick's Church. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery, Yarmouth.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: