Miscellaneous Nantucket County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Hauthaway Mabbett
 Hauthaway Mabbett died on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 1998 at the Judson Retirement Community in Cleveland, Ohio. He was 84. 
 Mr. Mabbett was a retired banker for Suffolk Franklin Bank in Boston before retiring in 1979. Raised in Boston, he was very active in boating and yacht racing. He competed as a youth in 12-meter races and as an adult in yacht races. 
 Formerly of Hingham, Mr. Mabbett was a long time resident of Naples, Fla. and spent many summers on Nantucket. He was an active member of the Hingham Yacht Club, the Cohasset Golf Club, the Pacific Club of Nantucket, the Spanish Wells Country Club of Naples and the Old Ship Meeting House in Hingham. 
 Mr. Mabbett was predeceased by his wife, Anita L. Mabbett and grandson Benjamin Lane Mabbett. He is survived by his children, Hauthaway Mabbett Jr. of Rocksbury, Conn., Lane Mabbett of Natick and Lisa Hamerstone of Shaker Heights, Ohio; and his grandchildren, Amanda Mabbett, Lane Mabbett Jr., Christian Hamerstone, Alexander Hamerstone and Sarah Hamerstone. 
 A graveside service will be held on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 2 p.m. at the Hingham Cemetery, behind the Old Ship Church.

Alma J. (LaCouture) LaPierre
 Alma J. (LaCouture) LaPierre of Brockton, a teacher and organist, died Thursday, Sept. 3, 1998 at Good Samaritan Medical Center in Brockton after a period of failing health. She was the wife of the late Raymond LaPierre. 
 Mrs. LaPierre, a longtime communicant of Sacred Heart Church, was a teacher at Sacred Heart School in Brockton for more than 25 years. She was also an organist and a soloist. 
  Born in Wayland, Mrs. LaPierre lived in Brockton most of her life and was a graduate of Sacred Heart School and St. Patrick's High School in Brockton. She attended Boston University for both undergraduate and graduate work. 
 Mrs. LaPierre is survived by two sons, Rene LaPierre of Spinnaker Island and Nantucket, and Paul LaPierre of Brockton; three daughters, Marie-Jeanne Lozier, Pauline McKeraghan, and Marcelle Erickson, all of Brockton; a brother, Emile LaCouture and a sister, Estelle Brady; and many grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews. 
 She was the daughter of the late Delphis and Agnes (Charbonneau) LaCouture and the sister of the late Delphine LaCouture, Blanche St. Hilaire and Lucille Bessette. 
 A funeral mass was held on Saturday, Sept. 5 in Sacred Heart Church followed by burial in Calvary Cemetery. 
 Donations may be made in her memory to Sacred Heart Scholarship Fund, Court Street, Brockton, MA 02302 or the American Heart Association, 20 Speen St., Framingham 01701. 

Charles Quincy Norton
 Charles Quincy Norton of Nantucket died Thursday, Sept. 24, 1998, at Cape Cod Hospital after a brief illness. He was 77. 
 Mr. Norton was the husband of Florence "Tootie" (Horsfall) Norton, to whom he was married for 48 years. He was the son of the late Nicholas and Ruth (Byrd) Norton. 
 He was a lifelong Nantucket resident and was a 1939 graduate of Nantucket High School. He served with distinction in the Air Force during World War II and was awarded the Silver and Bronze Stars for combat bravery in the European theater. He was a self-employed masonry contractor on Nantucket from 1949-1981. 
 Mr. Norton is survived by his wife; a daughter, Nancy Norton Foster of Fairhaven; three grandchildren, Brian, Julie, and Jason Foster of Fairhaven; a brother, Eldridge; and three sisters, Grace Carr, Elizabeth Turbitt, and Frances Mayo. 
 A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 4 at the First Congregational Church in Nantucket. 

Emily Sykes Boody Webster
 Emily Sykes Boody Webster died on Thursday, Sept. 24, 1998 on Nantucket. She was 95. 
 Mrs. Webster was the daughter of the Reverend Frederick Samuel Boody and Mary Goodwin of Wakefield. She was a graduate of Northfield Academy and the Children's Hospital of Massachusetts General Hospital. While in Boston she met Franklin Folger Webster of Nantucket who was attending Harvard. After their graduations they were married in Wakefield in 1924. 
 Following their honeymoon, the couple traveled to Nantucket for what would be her first of 74 summers in the Folger family home at 112 Main St. 
 Mrs. Webster was predeceased by her parents; her husband, Franklin Folger Webster Sr.; and her eldest son Franklin Folger Webster Jr. She is survived by two sons, David Endicott Webster of Nantucket and Dr. John G. Webster of Madison, Wis.; 10 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. 
 A memorial service will be held during July 1999 on Nantucket. 

George Wingenfeld
 George Wingenfeld of Nantucket died of natural causes on Sunday, Sept. 6, 1998 at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston following a sudden illness. He was 58. 
  Born in Old Bridge, N.J., Mr. Wingenfeld was the son of George and Anna Frisch Wingenfeld. He attended Amsterdam High School in Amsterdam, N.Y. and studied finance at Rutgers University. 
 Mr. Wingenfeld's career in finance led him into hotel management. From 1977 to 1984 he worked at the White Elephant Resort Hotel on Nantucket, first as internal auditor and then as general manager. He was then employed for eight years at the Colony Hotel in Palm Beach, Fla. as corporate controller before returning to Nantucket in 1994 where he worked for both the White Elephant and the Beachside Resort. 
 While general manager of the White Elephant Hotel, Mr. Wingenfeld became involved with the Nantucket Tree Fund, a committee to raise money for the seriously blighted elm trees on the island. During his association with the Tree Fund, he arranged unique and lavish fund raising events including a fashion show with designer Alfred Fiandaca and an evening of dance with the Boston Ballet. 
 Since 1981 Mr. Wingenfeld remained a friend and ardent supporter of the Nantucket Tree Fund, benefiting the committee with his knowledge, commitment and personal interest. For these reasons, the Tree Fund Committee is donating a tree to the town of Nantucket in memory of his great help in saving town trees. The tree will be marked with a plaque with his name, serving to remind residents and visitors for years to come of the difference one man could make to the island he loved so much. 
 Graveside services will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 3 at Prospect Hill Cemetery on Somerset Road. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Nantucket Tree Fund, P.O. Box 23, Nantucket, MA 02554-0023.

Marjorie Bradford Benchley
 Marjorie Bradford Benchley who lived on Nantucket for 50 summers and a dozen winters with her husband, Nathaniel, and her two children, died of lung cancer on Thursday, Oct. 1, 1998 in New York, N.Y. She was 80. 
  Born in Denver, Colo. in 1917, Mrs. Benchley moved with her family to Scarsdale, N.Y., in 1930. There she met Nathaniel Goddard Benchley, eldest son of humorist Robert Benchley. They married in 1939, while she was attending Sarah Lawrence College. They lived in New York City where their two sons were born: Peter, in 1940, who became a writer; and, in 1946 - after LCDR Benchley returned from the war in the Pacific - Nathaniel Robert, who is an actor living in Alexandria, Va. 
 In the 1940s and 50s, Mrs. Benchley worked at the William Deering Model Agency and at Junior Bazaar Magazine. 
 Though the Benchley family had been coming to the island since the mid-1930s, they rented their first house together in Sconset in 1949. They came every summer thereafter and in 1954 they purchased "Flaggship" on Baxter Road, which remained in the family until 1997. 
 In 1968, the Benchleys became year-round residents of Nantucket. While Mr. Benchley continued his writing career, Mrs. Benchley served as a volunteer with many island organizations. Among other positions held over the years, she was vice-president of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital and a committee member of the Sconset Trust. After Mr. Benchley's death in 1981, she moved back to New York, although she continued to spend summers on the island until 1996, when she became too frail to manage the house. 
 In addition to her two sons, Mrs. Benchley is survived by three grandchildren; one great-grandchild and a nephew, Robert Benchley lIl, of Sconset, and a niece Elizabeth D. Benchley of Pensacola, Fla. 
 In lieu of flowers, the family requests that contributions be made in her name to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. A memorial service will be held at a later date. 

Eugene Howard Clapp II
 Eugene Howard Clapp II of Weston and a longtime summer resident of Nantucket, died on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 1998, following a lengthy illness. He was 85. 
 Mr. Clapp was formerly president and chairman of the board for Penobscot Company, a pulp and paper manufacturer in Old Town, Maine. 
 Mr. Clapp was born in Brookline, the son of the late George A. and Sarah Lillian Clapp and was a graduate of Lafayette College, class of 1936. He worked for several years as an accountant and junior executive for Penobscot prior to entering the U.S. Army during WWII, where he served with the Office of Strategic Services in China. During his military career, he furthered his studies at the University of California where he studied and became fluent in the Chinese language 
 After the war, Mr. Clapp returned to the Penobscot Company where he served as treasurer and subsequently president and chairman of the board. He also served as chairman of the board for Tileston and Hollingsworth Company of Hyde Park and New Jersey Rubber Company of Taunton. 
 Mr. Clapp served on the board of directors for the Associated Industries of Massachusetts, United Elastic Corporation, American Mutual Liability Insurance Company and AM Life Company, Arkwright-Boston Mfgrs. Mutual Insurance Company, American Cancer Society, Mass. Division, University of Maine Pulp and Paper Foundation, Roxbury Home for the Aged, and Fidelity Group of Funds. He also had held trustee positions with Lafayette College, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Children's Hospital, and Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity Educational Foundation. 
 Mr. Clapp was a member of Trinity Church in Boston, numerous Masonic lodges including the Massachusetts Lodge, A.F. & A.M. and The Country Club. 
 He is survived by his wife, Millicent Greenwell Clapp of Weston; a son, Eugene H. Clapp III of Boston; a daughter, Candace Millicent Sargent of Key West, Fla.; and six grandchildren. He was predeceased in death by his sister, Margaret Stevenson. 
 Funeral services were held on Tuesday, Sept. 29 in the Trinity Church, Copley Square, Boston. 

Emily Sykes Boody Webster
 Elizabeth Sharp de Sieyes died on Sunday, June 7, 1998, at her home in New York, N.Y. after a long illness. She had been a summer resident of Nantucket for over 70 years. She was 84. 
 Mrs. de Sieyes, daughter of Anne Barney and Benjamin Karl Sharp of New Rochelle N.Y., was born in New Bedford and attended schools in New England including Wellesley College. She continued music studies in Germany and France. Upon her return to New York City she married Jean de Sieyes of the French American Banking Corporation. When not in Nantucket at her Sunset Hill home she devoted her time to volunteering at the Whitney Museum and New York City Hospital among other institutions. In Nantucket she was a member of the Nantucket Conservation Foundation and Nantucket Historical Association and a contributor to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. 
 Mrs. de Sieyes was predeceased by her husband, Jean de Sieyes, who died in 1977 and her sister, Virginia Sharp Newhouse, who died in 1997. She is survived by a number of nieces and nephews. 
 Private burial services were held in September on Nantucket. Contributions in her memory may be made to a Hospice or Alzheimer's Association of your choice. 

Henrietta Feathers Edmunds
 Henrietta Feathers Edmunds died suddenly early on Labor Day morning Monday, Sept. 7, 1998. She was 74. 
 Raised in Waterford, N.Y., Lenox, and Miami Beach, Fla., Mrs. Edmunds lived in New York City for most of her adult life, raising a daughter and enjoying an active social life. Between 1955 and 1971 she was a summer resident and frequent visitor to Nantucket. 
 A debilitating stroke suffered in her early fifties left her paralyzed on one side. Ultimately, childhood memories, warmer weather and easier wheelchair access precipitated a move to Boca Raton, Fla. where Mrs. Edmunds lived in nursing homes for the last 14 years. 
 Despite again having had a series of small strokes six years ago, Mrs. Edmunds managed to pursue an active interest in the arts, music and theater. 
 Mrs. Edmunds is survived by her daughter, Marietta Christie and grandson, Andrew James Monks of Concord and Nantucket and a nephew, Stephen Andrew Ryan of Point Reyes, Calif. 
 Contributions in her memory may be made to the National Stroke Association, 96 Inverness Drive East, Suite I, Englewood, CO 80112-5112. Their telephone number is 800-787-6537. We are asked to specify in whose name the contribution is to be made. 

Austin P. (Gus) Murphy Sr.
 Austin P. (Gus) Murphy, Sr., of Rego Park, N.Y., a long time summer resident to Nantucket, died on Sunday, Sept. 6, 1998. He was 65. 
 Mr. Murphy was introduced to Nantucket by his wife, Mary Buckley, in the summer of 1959. He grew fond of the serenity that is the true beauty of the island, a gift that he treasured as he did the time spent on Nantucket with his wife and family. Together, they shared their love for the island with their children Deirdre, Austin and Keith. 
 Mr. Murphy is survived by his wife Mary; daughter, Deirdre Mackelburg and son-in-law Karl of New Jersey; his two sons, Austin and daughter-in-law and Keith and daughter-in-law. 
 A Mass of Christian burial was held on Thursday, Sept. 10th at Resurection-Ascension Church in Rego Park. 
 Memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Murphy's name to the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, P.O. Box 13, Nantucket, MA 02554.

Frank J. Savarese
 Frank J. Savarese died Sunday, Sept. 27, 1998 after a short illness at home in Deming, N.M. He was 74. 
 Mr. Savarese was born on Sept. 29, 1923 in Fairview, N.J. to Tomas and Josephine DePalma Savarese. He was a retired iron worker out of Local 229 in San Diego, Calif. and a veteran of the Army Air Force serving overseas during World War II. 
 Mr. Savarese is survived by his wife, Shirley Cornell Savarese; three children, Frank Jr. of Calgary, Canada, Michelle (Jo-lynn) Robbins of Catumet and Cheryl Toscano (Camanitti) of Delaware; two step-children, Luke Kumburis of Albion, Pa. and Konnie Kumburis of Forestdale; two sisters, Jean Kubica and son-in-law Paul of Thousand Oaks, Calif. and Dolly Antoinette Dondero and son-in-law John of Palisade Park, N.J.; 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. 
 No local services will be held. A memorial service will be held in November on Nantucket. 
 Memorial donations may be made in Mr. Savarese's name to the American Diabetes Association or the American Cancer Society.

Nancy Norville Wilson
 Nancy Norville Wilson, of Houston, Texas and Nantucket died on Saturday, Sept. 19, 1998 in Houston. She was 62. 
  Born in Ponca City, Okla. on July 13, 1936, Mrs. Wilson was an Episcopalian and has been a member of St. John The Divine Episcopal Church since she moved to Houston in 1978. She graduated from Casady School in Oklahoma City and the University of Oklahoma in 1958 where she was an active member of the Alpha Omicron Chapter of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. She married Walter "Derby" Wilson on March 24, 1961. 
 Mrs. Wilson was an officer of the Junior League of Oklahoma City, an active member of the Junior League of Springfield and a sustaining member of the Junior League of Houston. She was an officer of the River Oaks Garden Club and a director of the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center. She was a member of the River Oaks Country Club, Siasconset Casino and Sankaty Head Golf Club in Nantucket and Thunderbird Country Club in Rancho Mirage, Calif. She demonstrated great joy in her interests as an ardent bridge player, golfer, walker, gardener and traveler. She showed immense love for life through her never-ending desire to be a wonderful wife, mother and friend to those she touched. 
 Mrs. Wilson was predeceased by her parents, Glen Smith Norville and Helen Crosby Norville and her brother, Glen C. Norville. She is survived by her loving husband, Walter Cunningham "Derby" Wilson; brother Richard Norville of Oklahoma City; son John Walter Wilson and daughter-in-law Terrell; daughter Carrie Wilson Major and son-in-law Don, and daughter Valerie Wilson of San Francisco, Calif.; grandson John Henry Wilson and Miki. 
 Memorial services were held on Tuesday, Sept. 22 at St. John The Divine Episcopal Church. Memorial donations may be sent to the American Cancer Society or the Sconset Trust.

Robert Noble Wiley
 Robert Noble Wiley died Oct. 6, 1998 at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in Georgetown, S.C. 
 Mr. Wiley was born in Nantucket on July 30, 1932, the elder son of Raymond and Katharine Wiley. 
 He spent 26 years in education, first as a teacher and later as a college administrator. He and his wife, Elaine, owned and operated the Moby Dick Inn for 17 years on the island. 
 He is survived by his wife, Elaine; two children, David and Katherine; his brother, Douglas; and six grandchildren, Meghan, Micajah, Calib, Ryan, Colin and Abiah. 
 Services were held at the First Congregational Church on Nantucket on Saturday, Oct. 10 followed by burial in Prospect Hill Cemetery. 
 A memorial service will be held at a later date. 
 Donations in his memory may be made to the American Heart Association or a charity of your choice.

Helen Conley Wight Beale
 Helen Conley Wight Beale died in Montrose, Colo. on Thursday, Sept. 10, 1998 after a long battle with cancer. She was 56. 
 Mrs. Beale was born on May 12, 1942, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Ewing Wight of Frederick, Md. and Nantucket. She grew up in Frederick and spent all her summers on Nantucket at the family home on Hulbert Avenue. She also lived in Washington, D.C., Evergreen, Colo. and Montrose, where she lived for 22 years until her death. 
 Mrs. Beale graduated from the Garrison Forest School in Garrison, Md. in 1961. She then attended Briarcliff College and graduated from Georgetown University in 1965. She married Courtney Antrim, originally from St. Louis and they had a daughter, Helen Conley Beale. She and her family spent two years camping throughout the United States. 
 Mrs. Beale was a real estate broker in Montrose and was chairperson of the United States Equestrian Combined Training Association, covering the states of Colorado, Wyoming, Vermont and parts of Montana, Idaho and South Dakota. She was very active in many aspects of equestrian events throughout the Rocky Mountain Area. She was very active in the Pony Club and local hunter/jumper shows where she would oversee young rider programs and adult rider programs. She was also an excellent skier. 
 Mrs. Beale was known for competing at preliminary equestrian trials on her wonderful horse "Will." She will always be remembered for her flawless dressage rides wearing her derby. She grew up sailing and playing tennis on Nantucket at the Nantucket Yacht Club and performing in summer productions at the Sconset Casino. She also worked for years teaching novice riders how to participate in equestrian events. 
 Mrs. Beale is survived by her husband; her daughter Helen of San Francisco and Nantucket; her brothers, Charles Wight of Leesburg, Va., Peter Wight of Cockeysville, Md. and Edward Wight of Baltimore and Nantucket. She was predeceased by her oldest brother, Daniel E. Wight Jr. 
 Mrs. Beale was buried in Montrose. There was a family memorial service in Baltimore on Oct. 4, 1998. 

LeeAnne Perry Granberg
 LeeAnne Perry Granberg died at her home in Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 10, 1998 after a lengthy battle with diabetes. She was 53. 
 Ms. Granberg attended Nantucket Schools with the class of 1963. She left Nantucket in 1970 and moved to Wisconsin to raise her two children. She was very involved in her community, volunteering in many programs, such as The Boys and Girls Club, the Lutheran Church and local food drives. 
 Ms. Granberg was an excellent cook and baker. Holidays were always made more special for her friends and family by her gifts of treats and baked goods. 
 Ms. Granberg is survived by her son Joe Granberg and daughter-in-law Kristin of Roberts, Wis.; her daughter Krissa Granberg Erickson and son-in-law Kurt of Altoona, Wis.; her parents Joe and Madelyne Perry of Nantucket, her sister, Maryjane Perry of Nantucket; her niece, Mariah Williams of Nantucket; her nephews, Jedediyah and Jacob Williams of Nantucket and her grandchildren, Tyanna and Ayla of Roberts. She was predeceased by her brother Gardner Perry, in 1971. 
 A memorial service will be held for Ms. Granberg at the Unitarian Church on Orange Street at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 31, followed by a graveside service and a reception at her parents' home. 
 In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Ms. Granberg's memory to the American Diabetes Association or to Home Health Care.

Ellen F. (Barnard) Terry
 Ellen F. (Barnard) Terry of Hyannis, formerly of Nantucket, died unexpectedly at her Hyannis home on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1998. She was 83. Born in New York City, Mrs. Terry lived on Nantucket until her mid-twenties. She was the daughter of the late Frank and Sabina (Scully) Barnard and the wife of the late Edward Terry. Mrs. Terry came to Hyannis from Nantucket where she lived until her death. For many years she worked for the Hyannis Pharmacy as a clerk until retiring in the mid-1980s. Mrs. Terry is survived by her brother Elliot J. Barnard of Hyannis; her sister, Marguerite Kelley of Nantucket, as well as several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband and parents.

Elizabeth Brady
 Elizabeth Brady, formerly of Nantucket, died on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1998 at her home in Madeira Beach, Fla. after a long battle with cancer. She was well known for her sterling qualities and her many years of devotion to volunteer work. 
 Mrs. Brady was predeceased by her husband, John Brady. She is survived by her twin nieces, Bonnie Brady Jones and Linda Brady Crowley and her godson, Robert Williams. 
 A memorial service was held Monday, Nov. 2 in Madeira Beach. 

Robert Hayden Potter
 Robert Hayden Potter died at Nantucket Cottage Hospital on Thursday, Nov. 5, 1998. He was 84. 
 Mr. Potter was born on Aug. 5, 1914 in Columbus, Ohio. He was the son of Mrs. Eloise McCreary and Joseph D. Potter of Columbus and Sconset. 
 Mr. Potter spent his summers in Sconset during his youth. He attended the Berkshire School in Sheffield and graduated from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. He was a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. Mr. Potter spent many years in the insurance industry in New York, N.Y. and lived in Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. 
 After his retirement, he and his wife moved permanently to Nantucket where he remained until his death. He was active in the Nantucket Big Brothers and Big Sisters, a founding member of the Nantucket Paddle Tennis Association, a member of Sankaty Head Golf Club and a longtime member of the Sconset Tennis Casino. 
 Mr. Potter is survived by his wife, Helen; his daughters, Ellen Roberts of Lexington, Va. and Jane Weidling of Nantucket; his sons, Robert H. Potter Jr. of Huntington, N.Y. and Anthony Potter of Nantucket and five grandchildren, Heather Weidling of Nantucket, Kaitlin, Kelly, Thomas, and Christopher Potter of Huntington. 
 There will be a memorial service at a later time. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital.

Nathaniel C. Doughty
 Nathaniel C. Doughty of Cranbury, N.J. died on Sunday, Nov. 8, 1998 at home. He was 79. 
  Born in Bogota, N.J., Mr. Doughty was a resident of Nantucket, Detroit, Mich. and Manhattan, N.Y. before moving to Cranbury 20 years ago. He was a graduate of Trenton High School, class of 1937 and also an alumnus of the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1941. Mr. Doughty retired in 1983 as advertising agency executive with N.W. Ayer in new York City after many years. 
 Mr. Doughty was an elected Cranbury Township Committee member from Jan. 1, 1990 until Dec. 31, 1992. He served on the first five member Township Committee in Cranbury. He was the liaison to the Public Works, water and engineering departments, as well as the library, court and Historical Preservation Advisory Committee. He was a county at-large representative to the Middlesex County Solid Waste Advisory Committee from Jan. 1, 1993 until Dec. 31, 1997. He was also involved with the Republican party, locally and nationally for many years. 
 Mr. Doughty is survived by his wife Tee-Ann Doughty of Cranbury; two daughters, Jennifer Connell of East Windsor, N.J. and Tee-Ann Hunter of Aurora, N.Y.; five grandchildren, Justin Connell, Gwyneth Anne Connell, Owen Hunter, Emma Hunter and Charlotte Hunter. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Doughty's memory to the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Central N.J. Chapter, 801 Belmar Plaza, Belmar, N.J. 07719 or to the American Heart Association, 2550 Rt. 1, North Brunswick, N.J. 08902.

Marjorie Elizabeth Clute
 Marjorie Elizabeth Clute died on Tuesday, Nov. 17, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. She was 75. 
 A lifelong resident of Nantucket, Mrs. Clute was the daughter of Elizabeth G. and Walter W. Lindquist. On May 18, 1958 she married Harry E. Clute. 
 Mrs. Clute was a graduate of Nantucket High School and Morrisville College in Morrisville, N.Y. She was the retired director of the department of Transitional Assistance. Her special hobbies included gardening and quilting. 
 Mrs. Clute was predeceased by her parents. She is survived by her husband, Harry; her daughter, Susan M. Carpenter; her grandchildren, Dawn L. Tardif, Bruce H. Holzrichter II, James E. Holzrichter; her great-granddaughter Maia M. Tardif; brother Karl Lindquist; one niece and two nephews. 
 Visiting hours will be at the Lewis Funeral Home, 42 Union St., from 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 20. Funeral services will be held at the First Congregational Church on Saturday, Nov. 21 and burial will be at Prospect Hill Cemetery. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in Mrs. Clute's memory to Hospice Care of Nantucket, c/o Nantucket Cottage Hospital, 57 Prospect St., Nantucket, MA 02554.

Anna (Riley) McLean
 Anna (Riley) McLean of Winchester and Nantucket died on Saturday, Nov. 7, 1998 in the Aberjona Nursing Center, Winchester. She was 88. 
 Mrs. McLean was born in Boston and lived in Nantucket for 18 years and in Winchester for 50 years. She married Edward G. McLean and was a homemaker. 
 A member of the Saltmarsh Center, Mrs. McLean was an active senior citizen member of the Immaculate Conception Church Ladies Sodality in Winchester. 
 Predeceased by her husband Edward, Mrs. McLean is survived by two daughters, Barbara A. Hartnett of Maynard and Suzanne Sullivan of Nantucket; a son, Richard McLean of Winchester; 11 grandchildren and great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. 
 A funeral Mass was held at the Immaculate Conception Church in Winchester on Monday, Nov. 9. Burial was at Wildwood Cemetery in Winchester. 
 Memorial donations may be made in Mrs. McLean's memory to the Saltmarsh Center, 81 Washington St. Ext., Nantucket, MA 02554.

Mildred L. Breare
 Mildred L. Breare died on Friday, Nov. 27 at Tobey Hospital in Wareham, Mass. She was 79. 
 Breare was predeceased by her husband Augustus in 1985. Together they owned and managed The Century House on Cliff Road for over 20 years. Mrs. Breare was Past Pocahontas, Wonoma Council No. 109 as well as Grange Past Master on the island. 
 She is survived by two daughters, Willow Santangelo and Shirley Sylvia, both of Florida; grandson Dennis Santangelo of Nantucket and six other grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter. 
 The family requests that in lieu of flowers donations in her memory be made to the American Heart Association, Massachusetts Affiliate, Inc., 20 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701-4688. Burial will be in the Prospect Hill Cemetery on Nantucket. 

Anthony B. Cahill Sr.
 Anthony B. Cahill Sr., of Bonita Springs, Fla. and Nantucket, died after an extended illness on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 1998. He was 68. 
  Born in New York City on Nov. 19, 1929, son of the late Russell B. Cahill and Estelle Horhan Cahill, he grew up in Pelham Manor and Mamaroneck, N.Y. and was educated at Iona Prep School and attended Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y. He lived in various towns in Westchester Country, including White Plains, Bedford Village, Chappaqua and Somers, until he retired in 1990. He then moved to Florida, continuing to summer on Nantucket, as he had since the 1960s. 
 Mr. Cahill worked in the heavy construction industry, first in the 1940s during summers while a student and after serving in the U.S. Marines from 1950-1952, continuing in the construction business throughout his business career. His work was primarily in road construction and included public projects such as the New York State Thruway built in the early 1950s where he was involved in the construction of the Tappan Zee Bridge and Westchester Toll Plaza in Tarrytown, N.Y. 
 Having the foresight to follow the major trend of the development of the upper portion of Westchester County, N.Y. in the late 1950s into the 1960s, in 1963 Mr. Cahill founded Cahill Paving Corporation, originally in Katonah, N.Y., soon after moving his company to Bedford Hills, N.Y., where it remained for many years. He started Putnam Asphalt Corporation in Patterson, N.Y. as well as Harlem Valley Materials, Inc. in Wassaic, N.Y., all doing business throughout Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess counties. He continued to successfully run his businesses until his retirement in 1990. 
 Mr. Cahill served for 15 years as a trustee for the Pension Fund of the Local 137 Operating Engineers Union. He was a member of Sankaty Head Golf Club in Siasconset and Bonita Bay Golf Club in Bonita Springs, Fla., an officer in the Westchester County Contractor's Association and a member of the Westchester Bituminous Asphalt Association. 
 In addition to his wife, Karen Butler Cahill, he is survived by three sons, Richard F. Cahill of San Diego, Calif., Anthony B. Cahill Jr. of Ridgefield, Conn. and James E. Cahill of Nantucket, and his brother, John J. Cahill of Vero Beach, Fla. He is also survived by five grandchildren, his former wife Valerie, many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews, two stepdaughters and two stepsons. 
 Mr. Cahill was a parishioner of St. Mary's in Nantucket and St. John's the Evangelist Church in Naples, Fla. Burial was in Prospect Hill Cemetery in Nantucket. 
 Remembrances may be made by a donation to the Sankaty Head Caddy Camp of Sankaty Head Golf Club in Nantucket, P.O. Box 875, Siasconset, MA 02564, which helps young boys earn scholarships for college. 

Mitchell P. Feinberg
 Mitchell P. Feinberg of Hurley, N.Y. lost his life in an automobile accident on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 1998 in Suffern, N.Y. He was 45. 
 Feinberg was a partner in Rahm and Son Construction of Kingston, N.Y. and a member of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Poughkeepsie Local 203. 
  Born July 21, 1953 in New York City, the son of Abram Feinberg and Retta Benge Feinberg, he was raised in Port Jefferson, N.Y. and lived in Hudson and Rhinebeck, N.Y. before moving to Hurley last year. He was a building contractor, and in recent years he had built several homes on Nantucket, the last on Maxcy Pond Road. 
 He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Catherine C. (Goode) Feinberg; three sons, Paul, Ryan and Matthew; two brothers, Mike of Setauket, N.Y. and Marc of Pomona, Calif.; and many nieces and nephews. 

Belle B. Geller
 Belle B. Geller of Carlsbad, Calif., died in Boston on Wednesday, Dec. 2, 1998. She was 78. 
  Born in Sioux City, Iowa, she and her husband Harold had a retail business in Los Angeles for a number of years. Before retiring in 1982 she worked as a bookkeeper for a national chain of jewelry stores. Most recently she had been living on Nantucket with her daughter, Barbara Toole. 
 She was predeceased by her husband, Harold Aaron Geller and son Barry Geller. She is survived by her daughter Barbara Toole of Nantucket and grandchildren Barrie, Jessica, Lisa and David Nager, all of Nantucket. 
 Remembrances may be made to the Adult Community Day Center of Nantucket, which so kindly opened their arms to Mrs. Geller in her short time on the island. Donations may be sent to the Adult Community Day Center, 144 Orange St., Nantucket, MA 02554. 
 A memorial service will be held Sunday, Dec. 20 at 1 p.m. in the Old North Vestry of the First Congregational Church on Centre St.

Clara Jones Larrabee McGrady
 Clara Jones Larrabee McGrady died Saturday, December 5, 1998. She was 89. 
 She was born Nov. 16, 1909 to Harry and Susan Larrabee in the family farmhouse on Hummock Pond Road. There she grew up around horses, which became a lifelong passion for her. She attended island schools, and after graduation from Nantucket High School went to work for the telephone company. 
 Shortly thereafter she met John F. McGrady Sr. They were wed on Sept. 30, 1934, and were married for 39 years, when he died Dec. 4, 1973. They lived with their three children on Hummock Pond Road where Mrs. McGrady operated Hilltop Riding Stables for over 40 years until 1980. 
 Mrs. McGrady was known across the island as a fine horsewoman and an astute businesswoman. She rode with the Nantucket Hunt Club and competed professionally, riding other people's horses in Madison Square Garden. Hundreds of island children and summer residents learned to ride at her stable where she gave lessons along with her daughter Pat and other young instructors she hired over the years. Among her favorite horses were Little Man and Marigold. She rode well into her 70s and later in life became involved in harness racing at the Miacomet Raceway Association with her trotting pony Remlap Gal. She competed, wearing her racing silks of kelly green and white, and also served as the official timer. 
 Her other interests included gardening. Mrs. McGrady especially loved Daffodil Weekend and won many ribbons and trophies competing with her lovingly-grown daffodils. She also worked for many years at the Nantucket Information Bureau, which her sister, the late Susan King, ran for a number of years, and she worked as a secretary for Myles Reis Trucking Co., which was owned by her sister and her husband. 
 Mrs. McGrady was predeceased by a sister, Susan King, and her brother, Harry Larrabee. She is survived by two sisters: Bertha O'Neil and Priscilla Reis, both of Nantucket; two sons: John F. McGrady Jr. and Robert W. McGrady, both of Nantucket; a daughter, Patricia McGrady Dennehy of Taunton; seven grandchildren, Patrick W. McGrady, Pamela F. McGrady, Patricia L. Boynton, Rev. Jacqueline McGrady, Sean R. McGrady, Kathleen Dennehy and Robert D. McGrady, and five great-grandchildren. 
 Funeral services were held Monday, Dec. 7 at St. Paul's Church on Nantucket. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in her name to benefit the employees of Our Island Home, who were so good to her the last two years she was a resident there.

Leeds Mitchell Jr.
 Leeds Mitchell Jr., of Barrington, R.I. died Friday, Dec. 4, 1998 at his home. He was 86. 
 Mr. Mitchell was born in Chicago, Ill., the son of the late Leeds and Dorothy (Day) Mitchell. He has lived in Barrington since 1968 and had previously lived in Chicago, Ill. Winnetka, Ill., Coral Gables, Fla. and Glastonbury, Conn. He was the husband of Margery "Mudge" (Dyer) Mitchell. 
 His Nantucket roots go back to Richard Mitchell Jr., who came to Nantucket in 1731. He would be a several-times-removed cousin of famous astronomer Maria Mitchell. But the later history of Leed's family is also noteworthy: His grandfather, J. Sidney Mitchell, born on Nantucket, was a prominent physician in Chicago, a long-time summer resident of Nantucket, and in 1894 became the first president of the Nantucket Historical Association (NHA), to which he devoted much of his time and energies. 
 Leeds Mitchell Jr., whose name derived from his grandmother, Helen Leeds of Philadelphia, spent most of his summers on Nantucket where he was well known as a yachtman. He was, like his grandfather, a generous supporter of the NHA, contributing many valuable artifacts and collections of family papers. 
 He attended the Harris and Latin Schools in Chicago and the Fessenden School in West Newton, graduating from Phillips Academy in Andover. Mr. Mitchell attended Yale University for two years and the University of Chicago for two years. 
 Mr. Mitchell served as president of the Motorless Flight Institute in Chicago from 1940 to 1942. After serving in the Army Air Corps as a glider pilot and glider pilot instructor during WWII, he finished his Army career in charge of Pilot Glider Training for the Troop Carrier Command in the Pentagon in 1945. 
 He then was the Sales Manager for the United Paperboard Co. in the New England Territory until 1957, later working in sales and marketing for Gardner Board and Carton Co., Dave Chapman Industrial Design, and Pure Oil Co., all in Chicago. He was the vice president of North American Hydrofoil Inc. in Chicago and Miami, Fla. from 1961 to 1964 and during the same time period became president of General Hydrofoil Corp. in New York, N.Y. He was president of Riverboat Inc. in Hartford, Conn. piloting sightseeing boats from Hartford to Long Island from 1964 to 1967. Mr. Mitchell retired in 1968. 
 While living in Barrington he was active in local, Narragansett Bay, national and international sailing, teaching sailing and initiating the sailing club at Barrington High School. Mr. Mitchell was also a composer of music, an orchestrater and an instrumentalist. He was a past president of Off The Ground, a musical group in Winnetka, Ill. dedicated to raising money for charity and wrote and orchestrated music for the group from 1951 to 1961. 
 A member of the New York Yacht Club since 1963, Mr. Mitchell belonged to the Barrington Yacht Club since 1968 and was awarded the Isaac B. Merriman Trophy, the highest award given at the club as well as the Lipton Cup awarded for sportsmanship, revitalized and expanded the Frostbiting program and served as the Race Committee Chairman from 1972 to 1975. He was a member of the Ida Lewis Yacht Club from 1975 to 1978, the Chicago Yacht Club and was a lifetime member of the Nantucket Yacht Club. He was a member of the Highlanders of the U.S., the Cruising Club of America since 1973, the Narragansett Bay Yachting Association and was awarded the Tripp Trophy, the Highest award from NBYA and served as secretary from 1976 to 1981. 
 Mr. Mitchell was the vice president of the Rhode Island State Yachting Advisory Committee from 1976 to 1987. He was the president and treasurer of the Rhode Island International Sailing Association and Chairman of the North American Inter-Class Solo Championship since its inception in 1972. He was elected to the Judging Program of the United States Yacht Racing Union (USYRU) in 1980 and was a senior race officer of USYRU. Mr. Mitchell also served as a judge for two America's Cup races held in Newport, R.I. He had also served as the Harbormaster for the Town of Barrington. He donated the Mitchell Bowl Award to the Hospice Care of Rhode Island Regatta, a trophy given to the first boat to finish the race. 
 Mr. Mitchell is survived by his wife; a son, Leeds Mitchell III of Barrington; two daughters, Leeanne M. King of Rutherford, N.J. and Dorothy M. Yoreo of Barrington; seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. He was also the brother of the late Margaret Wendell. 
 A memorial Service was held on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at 4:30 p.m. in the Barrington Congregational Church, 460 County Road in Barrington. A graveside service will be today, Dec. 10, in Prospect Hill Cemetery at 12:30 p.m. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Mitchell's memory to Hospice Care of Rhode Island East Bay Team, Box H Annex Station, Providence, RI 02901.

Dorothy M. Petumenos
 Dorothy M. Petumenos died on Monday, Oct. 26, 1998 at Our Island Home following a brief illness. She was 85. 
 Mrs. Petumenos was born on Jan. 1, 1913 in New London, Conn., the daughter of Charles L. Maxson and Mabel Shepherd Maxson. 
 Her family settled in Norwich, Conn., where she attended Norwich public schools and graduated from the Norwich Free Academy in 1931. 
 She married Nicholas B. Petumenos on April 4, 1932 and in 1949 they settled their family on Nantucket. 
 After her husband's death in July 1978, Mrs. Petumenos became actively involved in the affairs and activities of the elderly. She was a member of the Board of Directors of the Nantucket Center for Elder Affairs, Inc. from 1986 to 1988 and was elected a lifetime Honorary Board Member. She was appointed by the Board of Selectmen as the Nantucket representative to the Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands and served from 1987 to 1990, attending legislative sessions concerning the elderly at the State House in Boston (Silver-haired Legislature), and was a member of the Nutrition Committee during her term. 
 For several years she was president of the local chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). She was an active member of St. Paul's Church and remained actively involved in all matters concerning the elderly until ill health confined her to home. 
 She is survived by four children, Barbara (Holdgate) Thomas and Marina Austin, both of Nantucket, Bill Petumenos of Casper, Wyo., and Timothy Petumenos of Anchorage, Alaska; nine grandchildren and nine great grandchildren; a sister, Virginia Kay of North Franklin, Conn.; and four nieces and a nephew. 
 A memorial service was held at St. Paul's Church on Nov. 8 and her ashes laid to rest beside her husband in the Edward B. Lewis Memorial Cemetery on Nantucket.

Edward G. Stanley-Brown, M.D.
 Edward G. Stanley-Brown, M.D., of Naples, Fla. and Siasconset, died on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1998 after a short illness. He was 75. 
 A life-long summer resident of the island, he was known as Ted and was the great grandson of James A. Garfield, the 20th President of the United States. 
 He is survived by his beloved wife of 46 years, Jeanne; his children and children-in-law, Jill and Paul Driscoll, David and Kathy Stanley-Brown, Peter and Beth Horan; nine grandchildren, Sarah, Emily, Christopher and David Driscoll, Chelsea Stanley-Brown, Mackenzie, Reilly, Grayson and Camden Horan; his sister Katharine Abbott; and several nieces and nephews. 
 His ashes will be buried in the Stanley-Brown family plot at the Prospect Hill Cemetery today, Dec. 3. 
 A memorial service in celebration of his life is planned for 4 p.m. on Aug. 7, 1999 at the Siasconset Union Chapel. Memorial contributions may be made to the Nantucket Atheneum.

Murry E. Stern
 Murry E. Stern of Brookline, died suddenly on Sunday, Dec. 6, 1998. 
 The son of the late Edward and Eva (Sharaf) Stern, Mr. Stern is survived by a sister, Joan Starkman Glickman and son-in-law, Marvin Glickman of Newton; a niece, Jane Starkman; nephews, Edward and Julius Starkman and many friends. He will be remembered as a world traveler, adventurer and a good friend. 
 Graveside services were held at Sharon Memorial Park, Sharon on Wednesday, Dec. 9, 1998. Memorial observance will be held through this evening, Dec. 10 at the home of Joan Starkman Glickman. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Stern's memory to friends of Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston, MA 02115 or to a charity of one's choice.

Susan J. Wall
 Susan J. Wall died Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital after a long battle with cancer. 
 Ms. Wall was born in Ontario, Canada and was raised in Boxborough, Mass. She most recently was on the staff of the Flower Shop at Marine Home Center where she worked after the sale of her interior plantscaping business in 1992. 
 She is survived by her father, Weldon Cooke of Clinton, Tenn.; her brothers Peter Cooke of Westford, Mass. and John Cooke of East Kingston, N.H. and their families; her companion Brad Fulkerson of Nantucket; and her many friends. 
 A memorial service was held yesterday, Dec. 2, at the Unitarian Church. Donations in lieu of flowers may be sent to the Rose Fund or the Marla Lamb Fund c/o the Social Services Office, Nantucket Cottage Hospital, Nantucket, MA 02584.