Miscellaneous Nantucket County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Gerald Blake
 Gerald Blake, of Chico, Calif., died on Sunday, May 31, 1998. He was 74. 
 Mr. Blake was born in Boston on June 22, 1923, the son of Dr. Gerald Blake of Massachusetts General Hospital, and Edna Malone Blake. He was raised in Brookline and attended Brown and Nichols School. He spent many happy summers in his parents' summer cottage in Sconset. 
 During World War II, Mr. Blake served in the Army Signal Corps in Europe. After graduation from Harvard University in 1947, he moved to New York, N.Y., where in 1954 he married Anne Bayard Williams at St. Mark's-in-the-Bouverie. 
 In 1960, Mr. Blake and his wife moved to Friendship, Maine, and in 1961 their daughter Emily was born. 
 Mr. Blake did graduate work at the University of Maine in Orono and at UCLA, then moving to Chico, where he taught history until his retirement in 1975. 
 Mr. Blake is survived by his wife, Anne; his daughter, Emily; three nephews, Gerald, Peter and James Storrow and a niece, Margaret Storrow. 
 Donations may be made in Mr. Blake's name to the Butte County Humane Society and the Butte Environmental Council.

Edward M. Crane
 Edward M. Crane, of Nantucket, died on Saturday, June 20, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. He was 78. 
  Born on March 23, 1920, Mr. Crane was the son of Mary and Ephraim Crane. He graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1938, from Dartmouth College in 1942 and received his doctorate in chemistry from Harvard University in 1948. 
 Mr. Crane married his wife, Sarah P. in 1942. He was employed by Eastman Kodak from 1948- 1982. After he retired from Kodak he came to live on Nantucket year-round, until his death. He also lived in Brattleboro, Vt. for 18 years and Rochester, N.Y. for 34 years. He and his wife owned a house on Tuckernuck and summered there from 1965-1991. 
 Mr. Crane's special hobbies included amateur movie making, computer programing and reading. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and the American Chemical Society. 
 Mr. Crane was predeceased by his parents. He is survived by his wife; two sons, Peter and Norman; one daughter, Susan Larkin and seven grandchildren. 
 A memorial service will be held for Mr. Crane later this summer. Donations may be made to the Maria Mitchell Association, 2 Vestal St., Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Peter DeStephano
 Peter DeStephano, of Nantucket and formerly of Longmeadow, died on Monday, June 22, 1998. He was 35. 
 Mr. DeStephano graduated from Longmeadow High School in 1981, where he played football and lacrosse. For the past 15 years, he lived on Nantucket where he worked for Dyer Construction and Rob Anderson before starting his own business, Atlantic Construction. He was a member of the Capital Program Committee on Nantucket. 
 Mr. DeStephano was predeceased by his father, Vincent DeStephano. He is survived by his mother, Dorothy DeStephano of Longmeadow; two sisters, Ellen of New Hampshire and Joan of Chicago, Ill. and three brothers, Danner of Concord, Mark of Charlton and Gary of East Longmeadow. 
 A wake will be held today, June 25 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Ryder Funeral Home in South Hadley, Mass. Funeral services will be held on Friday, June 26 at 11 a.m., also in the Ryder Funeral Home. 
 Memorial donations may be made to the Peter DeStephano Memorial Fund, For the Research of Budd-Chiari Syndrome, c/o SIS Bank, 847 William St., Longmeadow, Mass. 01106. 

Phillip H. DiLuca
 Phillip H. DiLuca of Malden and Nantucket died Tuesday, May 5, 1998 at Glenridge Nursing Home in Medford, after a lengthy illness. He was 74. 
 Mr. DiLuca was born in Chelsea and lived in Malden for most of his life. He graduated from Malden High School in 1943 and was a World War II U.S. Army veteran. He worked for the U.S. Postal Service as a letter carrier for 35 years before his retirement. 
 Mr. DiLuca was a well-known musician, playing the drums for many familiar bands. He was an active member of the Nantucket Town Band, Puccinni Band, and the Middlesex County Orchestra. 
 He was the father of Philip Anthony DiLuca. 
 Mr. DiLuca was the son of the late Antonio and Lionora DiLuca and the brother of Cecelia Sensale of Somerville, Adeline Caruso of Malden, Alvira Geder of Reading, Angelo DiLuca of Malden, James DiLuca of Dracut and his late twin brother, Joseph DiLuca. His grandchildren are Amy, Shauna and Lisa DiLuca of Nantucket and Jennifer and Cheryl Taylor and Lisa Sharpe of North Carolina. Mr. DiLuca also leaves several nieces and nephews. 
 A funeral service was held at St. Peter's Church in Malden, with the burial following in Forest Dale Cemetery, Malden.

Rudolph Jordan Weisskopf
 Rudolph Jordan Weisskopf, of Bethesda, Md. and Siasconset, died suddenly of cardiac arrest in Sunday, June 14, 1998. He was 66. 
 Mr. Weisskopf was born in Brno, Czechoslovakia, and immigrated to the United States in 1939 with his parents, Dr. and Mrs. Josef Weisskopf and his sister Vera. 
 Mr. Weisskopf graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1949 and attended George Washington University. He served in Korea as a medical corpsman in the United States Navy from 1950 - 1953. He had a career in medical supply sales with Owens and Minor and retired in 1985. He will be sorely missed by his family and many friends. His generosity of spirit touched the world. 
 Mr. Weisskopf was predeceased by his parents and his sister. He is survived by his wife, Angela; two sons, Josef C. of Bethesda and Erik J. of Fairfax, Va. and one granddaughter, Claire Katherine also of Fairfax. 
 Memorial contributions may be made to the National Center for Therapeutic Riding, P.O. Box 434, Burtonsville, Md. 20866.

Sharon Layne Silin
 Sharon Layne Silin, of Nantucket, died at home unexpectedly on Monday, June 29, 1998. She was 40. 
  Born in Boston on May 28, 1958, Ms. Silin was the daughter of Laura Silin Raphael of Newton and the late David H. Silin. 
 Ms. Silin is survived by her son, Ryan Lee Murray; two sisters, Rachel Silin Perkins and Michele S. Kelsey; one brother, Douglas D. Silin, and her nieces and nephews Max, Alex and Renee Perkins, Hannah Kelsey, David W. Silin and Danielle Silin. She will be sadly missed and remembered for her huge heart, laughter and love for the beach. 
 Funeral services to be arranged.

Virginia Hamblin (Tobey) Wood
 Virginia Hamblin (Tobey) Wood died in her sleep Friday, June 26, 1998, at the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. She was 94. 
  Born in Nantucket on Feb. 28, 1904, Mrs. Wood was the daughter of Edith (Hamblin) Tobey and Harry A. Tobey of Nantucket. For many years her grandfather, Albert I. Tobey, ran a pharmacy on Main Street. She married Allan D. Wood on April 29, 1922. He predeceased her in 1987. 
 Mrs. Wood was proud to be an islander, and knew its changing face well during the more than nine decades of her life. She grew up in the Hamblin house on the Cliff when her family went to live with her maternal grandfather, George H. Hamblin. It was here that she developed her lifelong love of nature, animals and books. She remained an avid gardener and reader throughout her life. 
 She bridged the gap between an older Nantucket and its modern age. As a girl she learned to drive her grandfather's horse and wagon; later she drove a car and helped her husband in his business. 
 Mrs. Wood was a lifelong Episcopalian and member of St. Paul's Church. She served, as her mother before her, on the Altar Guild and was an early member of the Candlelight Guild, a young women's organization of the church founded by Mary Eliza Starbuck and Dr. Mary Ella Mann. For years she was an active member of the Nantucket Relief Association, a board member of the Old People's Home (later the Homestead), and a member of the Nantucket Historical Association. 
 Mrs. Wood is survived by her two sons, David Hamblin Wood of Nantucket, James Allan Wood of Bristol, N.H., and her daughter, Edith Wood Howarth of Manchester-by-the-Sea. She also leaves five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. She was devoted to her family and much loved by them; she never forgot a birthday or anniversary. 
 A memorial service was held Wednesday, July 1, at St. Paul's Church. In lieu of flowers contributions may be sent to St. Paul's Church for the Memorial Fund.

Wendy Stalo Huntoon
 Wendy Stalo Huntoon, a regular summer visitor to Nantucket, died peacefully at her home in Ann Arbor, Mich. of a brain tumor on Sunday, June 28, 1998. She was 42. 
 Mrs. Huntoon was born on Nov. 20, 1955 in Redford Township, Mich. to Roy and Shirley Stalo. 
 She is survived by her husband, Dave; two children, Caroline and Greg; two sisters, Darlene Kinnick of Rochester Hills, Mich. and Karen Long of Bridgewater Township, N.J.; numerous nieces and nephews; one grandniece and many good friends. 
 A funeral service was held at St. Clare's Episcopal Church in Ann Arbor on Tuesday, June 30, 1998. Memorial donations may be made to the Brain Tumor Research Fund, c/o Dr. Harry S. Greenberg, Department of neurology, 1914 Taubman Center, Box 316, University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, Mich. 48109-0316 or to St. Clare's Episcopal Church, 2300 Packard Road, Ann Arbor, Mich. 48104.

Charles J. Webb II
 Charles J. Webb II, a prominent Philadelphia businessman and civic leader who summered in Shimmo, died Friday, June 26, 1998, in Boston. He was 77. 
 Mr. Webb was not only a prominent entrepreneur in the chemical industry, but was widely known for his leadership and fund-raising efforts on behalf of the Philadelphia arts and health care industries. He also was well-known as cabinet-maker, fly fisherman, singer and supported of conservation in both Philadelphia and Nantucket. 
 Around Nantucket, Mr. Webb was widely known at popular fishing beaches for his red Chevy Blazer with the unique Massachusetts license plate, "Grt Pt." He was a familiar sight at dawn or sunset at Great Point, rod in hand, searching for blues or stripers. 
 "He was one of the most skilled and popular fishermen in Nantucket," said his son-in-law, Arthur Howe. "Everyone knew Charlie and loved him." 
 Mr. Webb was a supporter of conservation efforts throughout the island, but especially on Great Point, where he often rescued birds entangled in fishing line, or motorists stranded in the sand. He would always find time to free hapless drivers, but only on the condition that they make a donation to the Trustees of Reservation or another local conservation group. 
 "He always negotiated a favorable deal for the Trustees," Howe said. "I'm sure they received a lot of money over the years because of Charlie Webb." 
 On several occasions he even rescued novice fishermen who were swept into the rip off Great Point, with a life buoy he kept in his Blazer. 
 In recent years, Mr. Webb became a saltwater fly fishing enthusiast, often anchoring at the mouth of the harbor in his boat and casting for Bonito. 
 Raised in Oak Lane section of Philadelphia, the son of Herbert K. Webb and Mary G.S. Webb, he attended William Penn Charter School and Dartmouth College. Graduating with the class of 1943, he was a member of the ski team and Beta Theta Phi fraternity. 
 During World War II, Mr. Webb trained with the 10th Mountain Division of the U.S. Army in the mountains of Colorado. At the end of the war, he served for two years as a body guard for General Douglas MacArthur during the United States' occupation of Japan. He achieved the rank of lieutenant. 
 Upon his return to the United States, he rejoined members of the 10th Mountain Division who were involved in the then fledgling ski industry in Colorado. He became a ski instructor in Aspen, Colo., serving as an original member of the Aspen Ski School. Summers he was a guide in the Teton Mountains of Wyoming and became associated with the outdoors photographer Ansel Adams. 
 He later returned to take a position in his family's Philadelphia-based business, C.J. Webb Co., Inc., which at the time was one of the nation's largest importer and processor of wool for suits and clothing. Mr. Webb traveled extensively throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia purchasing wool. 
 After the introduction of artificial fabrics, especially Polyester, in the early 1960s, the wool business floundered. Mr. Webb took the company in a new direction and launched CRC Chemical Co., a Warminster, Pa.-based specialty chemical and lubricant producer. The company's first products were mixed in a chemical tank truck, often with Mr. Webb at the wheel. 
 As president, Mr. Webb built the company's annual sales to $30 million and opened markets throughout the world. He sold the company in 1982 to Berwind Corp., based in Philadelphia. Today, CRC Industries, Inc. is among the world's leading producers of specialty chemical products for the automotive industries and a range of industrial processes. 
 Mr. Webb was well known throughout Philadelphia for his fund-raising and volunteer activities. He headed major capital campaigns for Abington Hospital in suburban Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania Academy for Fine Arts and the Philadelphia Zoo. 
 Mr. Webb was a board member of Springside School in Chestnut Hill, as well as the Pennsylvania chapter of the American Heart Association, the New Jersey Aquarium and the Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, headquartered in Princeton, N.J. He also served on the board of Eriez Magnetics, based in Erie, Pa., the Trustees of Reservation, based in Massachusetts, and Montgomery Newspapers, the Ft. Washington, Pa.-based publisher of community newspapers and specialty publications. 
 Mr. Webb was also a well-known cabinet maker, specializing in 18th century American reproductions. He produced furniture for friends, the Philadelphia Zoo and various charities he supported. 
 Mr. Webb was a past president of Philadelphia's Orpheus Club, the nation's oldest men's choral singing group. He was well-known for his singing and story-telling at the club's Van Pelt Street clubhouse and on the stage of the Academy of Music. He also was a member of the Union League, Sunnybrook Golf Club and the Nantucket Yacht Club. 
 Mr. Webb is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Holmes Webb; his three children, Lisa Howe, Nina Cullen, and Charles J. Webb; and nine grandchildren. 
 In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to Springside School and the Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic. A memorial service will be held at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, in Chestnut Hill, Pa. on Thursday, July 9 at 3:30 p.m.

Shelby "Biffy" Campbell
 Shelby "Biffy" Campbell died Thursday, July 9, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital following a long illness. He was 51. 
 Mr. Campbell, or Biffy, as he was known to all who knew him, was born on Nantucket Jan. 15, 1947 to Shelby and Elizabeth Campbell. 
 He grew up on the island, attended local schools, and at an early age developed a love for music, learning the guitar and playing with friends at island events. 
 After graduation from Nantucket High School he enlisted in the U.S. Army and served his country in Vietnam. Upon returning to the island he worked for a variety of trucking firms, including Myles Reis, Holdgate and Colletti and Toscana, as well as the Department of Public Works. 
 He will be remembered for his good nature, his infectious laugh and his love of music and his interest in arrowheads. 
 Mr. Campbell was predeceased by his father. He is survived by his mother, Elizabeth Campbell of Nantucket; his brother, Wayne Campbell, also of Nantucket; a sister Pam Campbell, of California; a daughter, Danielle Campbell, of Nantucket; and numerous cousins, nieces and nephews and his many island friends. 
 Funeral services followed by burial were held at St. Mary's Cemetary Monday, July 13. 
 In lieu of flowers the family asks that donations be made to the Marla Lamb Fund, in care of Nantucket Cottage Hospital.

Daniel Joseph Murphy Jr.
 Daniel Joseph Murphy Jr. of Novato, Calif. and Nantucket died July 6, 1998 in San Rafael, Calif. after a long illness. He was 71. 
 Mr. Murphy was the son of the late Daniel Joseph Murphy Sr. and Ruth M. (Burchell) Murphy. Born on Nantucket on Jan. 4, he was the 1927 "New Year's Baby." He attended St. Mary's School and then De La Salle Academy in Newport, R.I. until 1941 when his family was transferred to Pearl Harbor Naval Base in the Hawaiian Islands. The family was present during the infamous attack on Pearl on Sunday, Dec. 7, 1941. The family moved back to Nantucket in 1942. He graduated from Nantucket High School in 1944 and served as the president of his class. He was a member of the Masque and Gavel Club under the direction of his favorite teacher, Mary P. Walker. 
 After High School, Mr. Murphy attended preparatory school for Annapolis. He entered the U.S. Navy in 1945, later receiving recognition for his faithful performance of service in WWII. He continued to serve in the Navy and Army reserves for many years after discharge. He took accounting courses on the GI Bill and made his living as a bookkeeper, working for many years at the Marine Lumber Company. While a resident of Nantucket, he was active in the Straight Wharf Theatre under the direction of Margaret Fawcett Barnes. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus. He moved to California and was the bookkeeper at the San Francisco Library until his retirement. 
 Mr. Murphy was predeceased by his companion Curtis Hector by five weeks. He is survived by his sisters Mary Elizabeth Nelson and Ruth Ann Flanagan, brother-in-law Charles E. Flanagan Sr. of Nantucket and his favorite aunt, Mrs. Henry (Mary Ann) Murphy of Newport, R.I. Also surviving are his nieces Carol Nelson Manville, Catherine Flanagan Stover and Elizabeth Flanagan, and nephew Daniel Joseph Flanagan, all of Nantucket. He is also survived by numerous great-nieces and nephews, many cousins including Polly Maloney, Anne Glowacki and Dorie Murray, all of Nantucket, and several dear friends including Barbara Deacon, Janet Ryder, and Pat and Delphine Paradise, all of Nantucket. 
 A Funeral Mass was held at St. Mary's Church on Friday, July 10 by Father Thomas Lopes. A Communion meditation hymn was sung by his sister Ruth Ann and brother-in-law Charles E. Flanagan Sr., and their children Daniel and Elizabeth Flanagan and Catherine Flanagan Stover. Family members John Stover, Charles Rollin Manville,IV, Daniel Joseph Flanagan, Det. Robert R. Reardon,Jr., Elijah Daniel Stover and Perry Louisa Stover served as pallbearers. Burial was at St. Mary's Cemetery.

Philip H. Sullivan
 Philip H. Sullivan died of a heart attack on Friday, July 10, 1998 at the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. He was 55. 
 Mr. Sullivan was born on Nov. 5, 1942. He was the son of the late Philip J. and Dorothy G. Sullivan and was raised in North Easton. He attended Coyle High School in Taunton, later earning a bachelor of arts degree from Stonehill College in North Easton and a master of education degree from the American International College in Springfield. 
 Mr. Sullivan first came to Nantucket in the 1950s. As a teen he was a caddy at Camp Sankaty. His lifelong interest in golf and water sports began on Nantucket. 
 After college Mr. Sullivan returned to Nantucket to begin his teaching career in the Nantucket Public School system. He taught for more than 30 years, and after retiring in 199, he joined the staff of the Jared Coffin House. 
 In 1969 Mr. Sullivan married Suzanne McLean. Together they raised five children on Nantucket; Philip, Tara, Mary (Mimi), Patrick and Edward. 
 Mr. Sullivan demonstrated his sincere regard for Nantucket and the people of Nantucket by participating in a variety of civic and social clubs. He was also a Sunday school teacher, a little league coach, a driver's education instructor, a member of the Nantucket Historical Association and the Nantucket Democratic Committee. 
 Mr. Sullivan will be remembered for his love of teaching. He took a special interest in all students, particularly those who faced a personal or academic challenge. As an educator he traveled with his students to the Massachusetts State House, the Freedom Trail, Sargent Camp and organized off-island driver's education lessons. 
 Mr. Sullivan also had a special love for history, travel and sports. He involved his wife and children in a special way in each of his pastimes. 
 Mr. Sullivan is survived by his wife Suzanne and their five children, all of Nantucket, and his brothers, John, Michael and Gary, all of North Easton. 
 A funeral Mass was held at St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle Church and a burial service followed at St. Mary's Cemetery on Tuesday, July 14, 1998. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in Mr. Sullivan's name to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Unit or to Stonehill College's Irish-American Studies Program.

Abby Hooker Willard
 Abby Hooker Willard died on Thursday, July 9, 1998 at her home on Orange Street. She was 94. 
 Mrs. Willard was born on Jan. 18, 1904 in Brattleboro, Vt. and as a girl moved to Schenectady, N.Y. In 1925 she married Henry Augustus Willard II, of Washington, D.C. and Nantucket, her husband of 73 years. She was a summer resident of Nantucket since 1926. 
 Mrs. Willard was a graduate of the Baldwin School in Bryn Mawr, Pa. and Smith College in Northampton. She was a direct descendant of the Rev. Thomas Hooker, founder of Connecticut, and the grand-niece of Col. James Fisk Jr., a 19th century railroad financier. 
 For many years Mrs. Willard was active in civic and charitable affairs in the District of Columbia. She was head of the ladies aid of the Old Garfield Memorial Hospital and a corporator of the Washington Hospital Center. She belonged to the Sulgrave Club and the Chevy Chase Club. 
 On Nantucket Mrs. Willard was a member of the board of trustees of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital and of the Nantucket Yacht Club. In later years, she lived in Gulfstream, Fla. and spent at least four months of the year on Nantucket. In Gulfstream she belonged to Bath and Tennis. 
 Mrs. Willard is survived by her husband, Henry A. Willard II of Nantucket and Gulfstream; two sons, Henry K. Willard II of Sheperdstown, W. Va. and Nantucket and James Fisk Willard of Delray Beach, Fla.; four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by a daughter, Mrs. Johnston F. Northrop. 
 A memorial service was held at the Orange Street home with the Rev. Andrew Foster and the Rev. Edward Anderson officiating. Burial will be at a later date at the Willard family plot in Vermont.

Leonard F. Howard
 Leonard F. Howard, investment advisor to several of New York's prominent families and philanthropic institutions, died on Wednesday, July 22, 1998, at his home in Scarsdale, N.Y., surrounded by his family. He was 84. 
 Mr. Howard's shy charm, natural intelligence, integrity and humor characterized his life, from his humble beginnings to the corporate and community boardrooms in which he served. He was formerly a financial editor at the N.Y. Journal of Commerce and a partner at Lazard Freres. He enjoyed a 35-year association with investor and philanthropist Jeremiah Milbank and was a long-time director of Southern Railway and its successor, Norfolk Southern. He lived with his wife Trudy in Scarsdale. 
 Although Mr. Howard was born in Philadelphia, Pa., this great-grandson of noted antebellum New Orleans architect, Henry Howard, spent his life in New York. His life is one of the quiet success stories of the New York City Schools, and education remained a key value throughout his life. 
 Mr. Howard attended several parochial schools, including St. Nicholas of Tolentine in the Bronx, as his family moved about. He graduated from the New York City's renowned public prep school, Townsend Harris, finishing in three years while working at Lowes Paradise Movie Theater and contributing to the support of his younger siblings. He then went on to City College of New York, earning a bachelor's degree in business administration and a commission as a second lieutenant in the infantry reserve through the Reserve Officers Training Corps. 
 After a brief cross-country trip with a friend in a 1927 Whippet, Mr. Howard was greeted by the mayor of Yonkers and photographed for the local paper. At 21, he joined Sutro brothers as a securities analyst in 1935. In 1939, he commenced his MBA studies at New York University graduate school and shortly thereafter began working as a financial reporter and later financial news editor for the N.Y. Journal of Commerce. 
 In the 1940s he was a charter member of the N.Y. Financial Writers Association. He also performed in the mostly male "Financial Follies" for 13 years, which were produced principally at the Astor on Broadway. Since the 1950s, he had remained a member of the Society of the Silurians in New York. 
 On leave from the paper, Mr. Howard was on active duty in World War II for three years, mainly in North Africa and Sicily. He retired from active duty as a major in the Infantry and Air Corps in 1946, but continued in the Air Force Reserve until 1955. He received the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with a Silver and Bronze Star. He also was the commanding officer of the 908th Air Base Security Battalion, an African-American unit in the then-segregated armed services, which received the the Award of Meritorious Service Unit Plaque. 
 Returning from overseas, Mr. Howard resumed his journalist work at the Journal of Commerce, but soon joined Lewisohn & Co. and its successor, Dreyfus & Co., where he managed its research department with Andre Kostolany. He also began his lifetime association with Samuel Lewisolm, with whom he shared a love of art, beauty and ideas. 
 In 1947, Mr. Howard commenced a 51-year marriage with Trudy Mulcahy, a former history teacher and editor at Seventeen and author of a nationally syndicated column on careers for women, "Talk About Careers." 
 Mr. Howard continued his investment work as a vice president and secretary at General American Investors Co. Inc., working with investors Frank and Arthur Altschul. He also served as a trustee of the New York Foundation from 1959 until 1982, Bank Street College of Education from 1963 to 1970 and was a member of the New York State Citizens Committee for Public Works from 1963 to 1970. 
 For many years he also was a contributing editor to World Scope Encyclopedia and a member of the Fountain House Council for Education and Research. 
 In 1958 Mr. Howard joined Lazard Freres as a general partner working with the legendary Andre Meyer and a young Felix Rohatyn. In 1963, he began a 35-year association with investor and philanthropist Jeremiah Milbank, working with the J.M. Foundation, The International Center for the Disabled and The Boys and Girls Clubs of America while maintaining his own investment advisory firm. 
 His firm, L.F. Howard Associates Inc., is now run by his daughter, Susanne. Mr. Howard also was a trustee of the Student Aid Association of CCNY for 30 years, serving twice as its president. He also served for 13 years as a trustee of the Calvary Hospital in the Bronx. 
 In his local community, Mr. Howard served on the Scarsdale School Board for five years and in 1969-70 served as president during contentious debates over busing and controversial history classes during the Vietnam War. 
 Earlier in the 1960s, he served as the chair of the Westchester Catholic Education Conference and a director of the Mental Health Association of Westchester. He also served as president of the Hartsdale Community Fund and its Civic Association, and was chair of the Citizen's Committee on Education, assisting the integration on the Union Free School District 8 in Greenburgh, N.Y. One of the community projects that pleased him most was working with the Waburg family to secure a gift of their land for the Woodland's High School in Greenburgh. 
 Mr. Howard is survived by his wife, Trudy Mulcahy Howard; one daughter, Susanne C. Howard of New York and Cambridge; three sons, Thomas C. Howard of San Luis Obispo, Calif., James C. Howard of Silver Spring, Md., and Daniel C. Howard of Cambridge; one daughter-in-law, Cheryl Maier and three grandsons, Aidan and Carter Henry Howard of Silver Spring and Preston Taylor of Cambridge; one brother, Vaughan Henry Howard of Beaver Dam, Va.; one sister, Evelyn Virginia Boyne of Stratford, Conn.; and numerous nieces and nephews, including actor Ken Howard and former New York Times reporter, James Feron and many friends and clients who will miss his wise counsel.

Joy Fletcher Whitbeck
 Joy Fletcher Whitbeck died Thursday, July 17, 1998, just one week before her 91st birthday, at Pomperaug Woods nursing home in Southbury, Conn. She was 90. 
 Ms. Whitbeck was born in Philadelphia, Pa., on July 24, 1907. She was the daughter of George William Fletcher and Joy Chandler Dickerman. She was raised in Radnor and Haverford, Pa. She attended the Shipley School and graduated from Dana Hall in Wellesley in 1927. In 1931, she graduated from Smith College, where she played varsity field hockey, basketball, and tennis. After graduation, she moved to New York, N.Y. where she worked as a receptionist for American Locomotive Company. During the war she worked as a volunteer ambulance driver. 
 In 1943, Ms. Whitbeck met her first husband, Ferdinand Lowther Starbuck, while playing tennis at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, N.Y. (Mr. Starbuck was the great, great grandson of Joseph Starbuck, the whaling ship owner and the builder of "The Three Bricks.") While raising a family, she worked at perfecting her bridge and tennis games. At the West Side she won numerous tournaments in both bridge and tennis. She lived in Forest Hills Gardens until three years after the death of her first husband, when she married Volkert S. Whitbeck and moved their family to Greenwich, Conn. 
 To demonstrate her prowess on the tennis court in 1968, at the age of 61, she won every tennis tournament at the country club where she was a member. This included women's singles, doubles, mixed doubles, and family doubles. In the same year, she finished as a semi-finalist in the town's singles and doubles tournament while beating many college players less than a third her age. She continued to play tennis competitively until the age of 84. 
 For more than fifty years, she vacationed with her family in Sconset. She was a member of the Sconset Casino. In her later years she owned a home on Towaddy Drive. 
 In 1976, Ms. Whitbeck and her husband moved to Sherman, Conn., where they had maintained a vacation house. For many years, she was the president of the Timber Trails Association and worked as a volunteer on many charities. In 1995, she moved to Pomperaug Woods. 
 In addition to being an excellent tennis player Ms. Whitbeck was known for her contract bridge playing ability in the tri-state area. She was a frequent duplicate bridge player in Wilton, Ridgefield, Danbury, Brookfield, and Southbury, Conn. She achieved the ranking of Silver Life Master by the American Contract Bridge League, a ranking that few possess. For many years she taught bridge, leaving behind many ardent pupils. Her competitive playing has taken her to many cities in the United States and abroad. 
 A reception to celebrate her life was held on Friday, July 24, in Pomperaug Woods, Heritage Road, Southbury, Conn. 
 In lieu of flowers contributions can be made in her memory to the Sconset Land Trust, Siasconset, Mass., 02564. 
 Ms. Whitbeck is survived by three sons, Ferdinand L. Starbuck of Middlebury, Conn.; William D. Starbuck of Ridgefield, Conn. and Sconset, and Robert F. Starbuck of South Salem, N.Y. and Sconset. She also is survived by 10 grandchildren and four stepchildren.

Philip A. Bresten
 Philip A. Bresten, of Nantucket and Lynn, died August 3, 1998 at Massachusetts General Hospital from Babesiosis. He was 39. 
 He was born in Lynn, the son of Louis and Margaret (Gardner) Bresten, both of Lynn. He was raised in Lynn and graduated from Lynn Vocational Technical School in 1976. He has lived on Nantucket for the past 13 years, working as a master plumber. He was an avid sports fan and enjoyed fishing and playing darts. 
 Mr. Bresten is survived by his parents; two brothers, Paul of Reading and Robert of Wareham; a sister, Elizabeth Bresten of Lynn; four uncles, Richard Gardner of Lynn, Arthur Gardner of Lynn, Robert Briestensky of New Kensington, Pa and Philip Gardner of Las Vega; and three aunts, Jean Dube of Maine, Kathleen Murphy of Oriental, N.C., and Josephine Warych of Gipsonia, Pa. He is also survived by several cousins. 
 A funeral service will be held on at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8 at Solimine, Landergan & Rhodes Funeral Home, 426, Broadway in Lynn, followed by a funeral Mass in the Sacred Heart Church at 9 a.m. Burial will be in St. Joseph Cemetery in Lynn. Visiting hours are Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. 

Norman Bradford Brooks
 Norman Bradford Brooks died suddenly at his home in Nantucket on Monday, Aug. 3, 1998. He was 67. 
 Mr. Brooks graduated from the Lawrence Academy in Groton and from the ROTC program at Tufts University as a physicist in 1954. As a pilot in the United States Air Force, he gained the rank of lieutenant and retired from the USAF reserves as captain in 1968. 
 Mr. Brooks founded Brooks Automation, located in Chelmsford and remained on the board of directors after his retirement. He retired to Nantucket with his wife Mary Ann, 7 years ago after being a longtime summer resident. His family ties were to Nantucket and Tuckernuck. The Tuckernuck homestead was known as "Brooks's Landing". His grandmother taught school on both Tuckernuck and Nantucket. 
 Mr. Brooks is survived by his wife; his son Frank S. and daughter-in-law Catherine of Hope, Maine; his daughter Kathryn A. and his son-in-law Bill McGrath of Nantucket; his brother Frank P. and sister-in-law Alita of Nantucket; his nephew Bradford P. Brooks of Nantucket; his niece Barbaralee Copas of Winchester and his grand-niece Jennifer L. Copas of Mar Vista, Calif. 
 A memorial service is being held today, Aug. 6, at 1 p.m. at the Maddequet Admiralty Club. In lieu of flowers, donations in Mr. Brooks's memory may be made to Nantucket Hospice or the Madaket Conservation.

William T. Cowing
 William T. Cowing of Charlton died Tuesday, July 28, 1998 in the Masonic Home. He was 89. 
 Mr. Cowing was born in Jonesport, Maine, the son of the late William A. and Helen (Shackford) Cowing. He had lived in Lexington for over 30 years later moving to Concord and living there for 20 years before moving to Charlton in 1996. 
 He graduated from West Springfield High School, graduated with a bachelor of science degree from Colby College in Maine and received his master of science degree from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. 
 Mr. Cowing was a science teacher and head of the science department at Belmont High School for over 20 years, retiring several years ago. He was a member of the Beaver Lodge of Masons in Belmont, a member of the Lexington Arts and Crafts Society and a long-time summer resident of Nantucket. 
 Mr. Cowing is survived by his wife, Madeline V. (Voorneveld) Cowing of Charlton; a brother, Dr. Robert H. Cowing of New Market, N.H.; a sister, Margaret H. Little of Laconia, N.H., and by several nieces and nephews. 
 A memorial servicewas held on Sunday, Aug. 2 in the Nicolls Chapel of the Masonic Home, 88 Masonic Home Road, Charlton, Mass. Burial will be in Nantucket at a later date. 

Robert Dean Jay
 Robert Dean Jay of Nantucket and Huntington, N.Y. died at Huntington Hospital on Tuesday, June 30, 1998. He was 77. 
  Born in Paris, France, Mr. Jay was the son of Nelson Dean Jay and Anne Augustine Jay. He attended Stowe School in England and was in the class if 1942 at Harvard University, where he held the track record for the mile. He served in the U.S. Navy in the Mediterranean, and was in the international division of the Bankers Trust Company. He was on the boards of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults, the Helen Keller Industrial Home for the Blind, and the Heckscher Museum in Huntington. 
 Mr. Jay learned to share his love of the outdoors, skiing in new Hampshire, sailing and canoeing in Maine. The family has summered in Nantucket since 1956, and gave a portion of their woods in Polpis to the Nantucket Conservation Foundation. 
 Mr. Jay is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Cynthia White and by his children, Alexander, Paul, Daniel, Alida Boye, Stephen, Quentin, David and Anne and 20 grandchildren. 
 Services were held at on Friday, July 3 at St. John's Church in Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., where he was a former Vestryman. 
 In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, 118 Cliff Road, P.O. Box 13, Nantucket, Mass. 02554. 

Patricia A. Lowell
 Patricia A. Lowell died on Saturday, Aug. 1, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital after a short illness. She was 59. 
 A longtime resident of Nantucket, Ms. Lowell was the daughter of Dorothy Reading and the late Frederick Reading. She was employed by Pacific National Bank for 10 years in the credit card department and was currently employed by Nantucket Bank as a credit card specialist. She was also a member of the Nantucket Angler's Club. 
 Ms. Lowell is survived by her mother, Dorothy Reading of East Haven, Conn.; a sister, Doris Warmingham, of East Haven; a brother, Frederick Reading of North Haven, Conn.; a daughter and son-in-law, Lisa and Mike Kraeger of Constableville, N.Y.; a daughter, Debbie Patterson of Nantucket; a son and daughter-in-law, James and Tricia Patterson of Nantucket and a grandson, Eric Patterson of Nantucket. 
 Donations in Ms. Lowell's memory can be made to The Marla Lamb Fund, c/o Nantucket Cottage Hospital, Prospect Street, Nantucket, Mass. 02554 or the Masons of Nantucket, Union Lodge F & AM, P.O. Box 697, Nantucket, Mass. 02554. 

David A. Lussier Sr.
 David A. Lussier Sr. of Yarmouthport died Monday, Aug. 3 at the Eagle Pond Rehabilitation and Living Center in West Dennis. He was 65. 
  Born in Lowell, Mr. Lussier was raised in Billerica and was a graduate of Keith Academy. He also attended East Coast Aerotech. 
 Mr. Lussier served in the U.S. Army in Korea from 1949 to 1953. He received a Combat Infantryman's Badge for being under actual enemy fire for more than 72 hours and a Bronze Star for valor, for carrying a wounded soldier out of battle and volunteering to carry a message through enemy lines. In addition, he received a Korean Campaign ribbon with four bronze battle stars, a UN Korean Campaign ribbon, a European Occupation ribbon and a purple heart with two oak leaf clusters. 
 Mr. Lussier worked for a year on Mount Washington as an associate engineer doing research for the U.S. government. He then turned to a cooking career and worked as a chef at several restaurants, including the Sheraton Rolling Green in Andover, the Yard of Ale in Cambridge, Anthony's Pier 4 in Boston and the Jared Coffin House on Nantucket. 
 From 1974 to 1983, Mr. Lussier owned and operated the Mad Hatter on Nantucket, with his wife, Barbara (MacKay) Lussier. They also owned and operated Captain Howes' Restaurant in Yarmouthport from 1985 to 1990. 
 Mr. Lussier served on the board of directors for the Massachusetts Restaurant Association and the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. He enjoyed gardening, going to New England Patriots games and spending time with his dog, Schmedley Fenwick. 
 He is survived by his wife; one son, David A. Lussier Jr. of Newburyport; three daughters, Donna Lussier-Lyne of Nantucket, Gail M. Lussier of Hyannis and Katherine M. Lussier of Brockton; two brothers, Richard Lussier of Punta Gorda, Fla. and Frank Lussier of Vancouver, Wash.; two sisters, Elizabeth Hayes of Pensacola, Fla. and Jeanne McCartin of Horsh Fort Meyers, Fla. and a grandson, Marcus Lyne of Nantucket. 
 The funeral will be held today, Aug. 6 at 9:15 a.m. at The Hallett Funeral Home, 273 Station Avenue in South Yarmouth. A funeral Mass will follow at 10 a.m. in Sacred Heart Chapel, Summer Street, Yarmouthport. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Dennis-Yarmouth Ecumenical Council, Box 507, Yarmouthport, Mass. 02675. 

William M. Tuach
 William M. Tuach, of Orange, Conn. died on Wednesday, July 15, 1998. He was 60. 
  Born in Pittsburgh, Pa. on Aug. 13, 1937, Mr. Tuach was the son of the late William and Rogene Jones Tuach and the husband of Elizabeth Myers Tuach. He graduated from The Choate School in 1955 and Williams College in 1959 where he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and captain of the golf team. It was on Nantucket where he developed his love and talent for golf. 
 Mr. Tuach was employed by DeSai Systems Inc. of West Hartford, Conn. He was president of Mackenzie Associates and past president of the Educational Salesmen Association of New England. 
 In addition to his wife, Mr. Tuach is survived by daughters Beth Lendrum of Fairfield, Conn., Laura and Sheryl Tuach of Boston; a sister, Lynn Stroud of Cincinnati, Ohio and two grandchildren. 
 A memorial service was held at the Orange Congregational Church. Memorial contributions may be made to the Orange Congregational Church, 205 Meeting House Lane, Orange, Conn. 06477.