Miscellaneous Nantucket County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Mary Leial Donnellis
 Mary Leial Donnellis, a Nantucket native, died on Tuesday, March 17, 1998. She was 94. 
 Mrs. Donnellis was a life member of the VFW Women's Auxiliary and also a member of the disbanded order of Pochantas and Legion Auxiliary. She was a communicant of St. Mary's Church and was laid to rest at St. Mary's Cemetery on Monday, March 23. 
 Mrs. Donnellis was predeceased by her husband of 44 years, John R. Donnellis, in 1965. She is survived by two daughters, Mary-Caroline Sandsbury of Nantucket and Adeline Burgy of Akron, Ohio; one granddaughter, June Hummel; two great-granddaughters, Victoria Sahm and Deborah Themm, and two great, great-granddaughters, Kaitlyn A. Themm and Nicole A. Sahm, all of California.

P. Bruce Killen
 P. Bruce Killen died on Friday, April 10, 1998. He was 49. 
  Born on Nantucket on May 5, 1948, Mr. Killen was the son of Sidney and Ann Killen. He attended school on Nantucket until the eighth grade. He graduated from the Hinckley School and went on to Bard College and Colorado College.  
 Mr. Killen briefly resided in both Woods Hole and Deer Isle, Maine. Ultimately, he returned to Nantucket where he worked as a self-employed builder. Both Death and Resurrection Co. and Rock and Roll Co. thrived because of his abundant talent and hard work. 
 A gifted craftsman, Mr. Killen was known professionally for his attention to detail and artistic construction. When "This Old House" renovated a home on Milk Street, he was asked to execute the production. 
 Mr. Killen had a strong relationship with his wife of 17 years, Pamela and their two sons, David and Jack. He was an involved father who always cheered for each member of his sons' soccer or little league teams. He was thought to be, by all who knew him, a person who was kind-hearted, treating everyone as if they were his close friends. His smile will always be remembered by those who knew him. 
 Mr. Killen enjoyed boat building, reading, running and weight-lifting. He freely gave of himself and of his time to this community. He was involved with the Conservation Commission and the Nantucket AIDS Network and was responsible for helping to build the skate board park for the kids on island. 
 Mr. Killen was predeceased by his father Sidney, in 1982. He is survived by his wife, Pamela; his sons, David and Jack; his mother Ann; and his sisters Debbie Killen Lothian and Patience Killen. 
 A memorial service will be held at the Unitarian Church on Friday, April 17, at 11 a.m. A reception will follow on Hinsdale Road. Donations may be to the Bruce Killen Memorial Wooden Boat Building Scholarship Fund, C/O Vaughn and Dale, Whaler's Lane, P.O. Box 659, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Fred John Grasing
 Fred John Grasing died in Middletown, R.I. on Saturday, April 18, 1998. He was 74. 
  Born in New York, N.Y. on Jan. 24, 1924, Mr. Grasing was the son of Frederick and Jennie (Berry) Grasing. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army Medical Corps, serving during World War II. 
 Mr. Grasing had worked for Newport Tire Company for 27 years, retiring in 1981 as general manager. He had also managed Midas Muffler. He later worked at the Double Tree Hotel and as a limousine driver for Cozy Cab until January 1998. 
 He was a loving husband, father and grandfather and was known as an avid gardener by his friends and family. 
 Mr. Grasing was predeceased by his sister, Agnes Petko. He is survived by a son, Robert E. Grasing of Woodbury, Conn.; three daughters, Robin L. Harvey of Nantucket, Linda S. Vidinha of Middletown and Jean Marie Grasing of Nantucket; three sisters, Elizabeth Meslener of Putnam Valley, N.Y., Emma Finan of Leonardo, N.J. and Gertrude Gruber of Commack, N.Y. and seven grandchildren. 
 Funeral services were held at St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Newport, R.I. on Tuesday, April 21, 1998. Interment was in Newport Memorial Park, Middletown. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Mr. Grasing's name may be made to the Visiting Nurse Association of Rhode Island, 157 Waterman St., Providence, R.I. 02906 or to St. Peter's Lutheran Church Memorial Fund, Broadway, Newport, R.I. 02840.

Paul "Sandy" J. MacPhee
 Paul "Sandy" J. MacPhee of West Dennis and Costa Rica, died on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 in Quepos, Costa Rica in an accidental drowning. He was 49. 
 Mr. MacPhee was born in Waltham on Aug. 16, 1948. He grew up in Weston, though spent most of his adult life by the sea. He attended the Weston Public Schools and graduated from Worcester Academy and the University of Denver in Colorado. He was a long-time resident of Costa Rica where he was a licensed boat captain. 
 Mr. MacPhee also spent many summers swordfishing on the yacht Hero of Cape Cod and Nantucket, with his late father John A. MacPhee. He was a member of the Nantucket Anglers' Club and spent several years living, working and fishing on Nantucket, pursuing his life-long passion for sports fishing and the sea. 
 He is survived by his mother, Mary M. MacPhee of West Dennis; two sisters, Roberta MacPhee Shifrin of Weston and Heather MacPhee Young of Jupiter, Fla.; two brothers, John C. MacPhee and Brian A. MacPhee, both of West Barnstable; several nieces and cousins and many friends both in the U.S. and Costa Rica. Mr. MacPhee is predeceased by his father. The date of memorial services will be announced.

Lawrence F. Pfaff
 Lawrence F. Pfaff, a retired oil company executive died Saturday, April 11, 1998 at Massachusetts General Hospital. He was 80. 
 Mr. Pfaff was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. attended Lehigh and Columbia Universities, and became a commissioned officer in the U.S. Quartermaster Corps during World War II. 
 A longtime resident of Weston and Nantucket, Mr. Pfaff was an avid golfer and active member of Weston Golf Club and Sankaty Head Golf Club and a previous member of the Algonquin Club of Boston. 
 Mr. Pfaff entered the oil industry in 1950, when he joined Paragon Oil Company and later became vice president of Paragon, which was the largest independent retail and wholesale fuel oil distributing company in the country at that time. 
 When Paragon was acquired by Texaco, Inc. Lawrence continued his career working for Texaco in Europe and later assuming the presidency of The White Fuel Corp. in Massachusetts, one of Texaco's largest subsidiary fuel oil distributing companies. He retired from that position in 1986 and was recognized for his achievements during his 30 year career at Texaco. 
 Over the course of his professional career, Mr. Pfaff served as active member and director of the New England Fuel Institute, a member of the New England Council Economic Advisory Board, director of the Better Home Heat Council and director of the South Boston Savings Bank. 
 In March 1998, Mr. Pfaff was the recipient of the prestigious "Legends of Oil Heat" award presented by The New England Fuel Institute. Since retirement, he has worked as an advisor and appraiser relative to mergers, sales and acquisitions of fuel oil distributing companies and sewed as a consultant to Global Petroleum Corp. and Harbor Fuel Oil of Nantucket. 
 In addition to his many years of service to the oil industry, Mr. Pfaff was extremely effective in charitable organizations and charitable work. As past Chairman of the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, they achieved new heights under his fund raising direction He was past chairman of the Industrial Division of the United Way, former member of the board of the Carroll Institute of the Blind, and a member of the Advisory Board of Catholic Charities. 
 Mr. Pfaff was recently predeceased from his wife of 55 years, Charlotte (Heinrich) Pfaff. He will be deeply missed by his surviving daughters, Laurinda LeCain of Wayland and Lacey Brandt of Wellesley; his sister Mary Calhoun of Sun City, Ariz. and four adoring grandchildren. 
 Funeral Services were held Wednesday, April 15 at 10 a.m. at St. Peter's Church in Weston. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Mr. Pfaff's name may be made to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Mass. Chapter, 101A First Avenue, Waltham, Mass.

Gladys M. Silva
 Gladys M. Silva died at her home on Nantucket on Tuesday, April 14, 1998. She was 83. 
 Mrs. Silva was born on Nantucket, the daughter of Ida and Walter Finlay. Her father maintained a painting business for many years at the corner of Main and Orange streets. She was a graduate of Nantucket High School, a member of the class of 1933. 
 A life long resident of Nantucket, Mrs. Silva was married to her husband Al for 63 years. Together they presided over their automobile business, established as Al's Auto Sales and Service in a two-car garage on North Liberty Street in the early 1930s, later becoming Silva Chevrolet in the 1940s. She retired in 1982. 
 Active in community affairs during her life, she was a volunteer with the Tree Fund and the Hospital Thrift Shop. She was appointed executive secretary of the World Business Council during its 1980 conference on Nantucket. 
 Mrs. Silva was a member of St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle as well as a member of the Nantucket Yacht Club and the Nantucket Wharf Rats Club. 
 She will be sorely missed by her loving husband, Al; her three sons, Charles of Chesapeake, Va., Albert and Walter, both of Centerville; her sister, Helen of Cranston, R.I.; five grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and her many, many friends. 
 Funeral services were be held at St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle on Friday, April 17, 1998. 

Fred John Grasing
 Carl F. Borchert died on Tuesday, April 28, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. He was 61. 
 Mr. Borchert was born on April 27, 1937 in East Aurora, N.Y. Following his graduation in 1958 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he began an 11-year civil engineering career in the Boston area working for National Research Corp. and Avco-Everett Research Laboratory. In 1969 he left West Boxford, Mass. and settled on Nantucket with his family, beginning his second career as a building contractor.  
 Mr. Borchert built his last house in 1979 and began a shift to his private engineering practice. His experience led him to serve as Nantucket Building Inspector from 1984 to 1986. He was Clerk of the Works and Plant Supervisor for the Nantucket High School building project from 1987 to 1990, and then held the same position on Martha's Vineyard while their new regional high school was constructed. 
 He believed deeply in public service and was involved with land conservation and environmental issues all of his life. He was on the Nantucket Board of Selectmen from 1990 to 1993. He was a member of the first Land Bank Commission when it was founded in 1984 and served for eight years. He served as Chairman in 1989-1990. Mr. Borchert's special love for wetlands is reflected in his long-time role with the Conservation Commission, serving eleven years between 1978 and 1989, including Chair from 1982-83. 
 He helped found the Nantucket Land Council in 1974 and served as its first president. As a director except for his years as a Selectman, he worked steadfastly with the Council to protect Nantucket's natural environment. Mr. Borchert was a current member of the Maria Mitchell Association's Board of Managers and also helped the Building and Grounds Committee for the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. In 1996-97 he was the chairman of Nantucket's Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee. 
 His roots were in a small farming community. He loved the land and caring for his gardens, horse barn and pastures. He could fix anything. His favorite hobby was tinkering with his two antique 8N Ford tractors which came to him through Marlin Rounsville and Ralph Marble. 
 Survivors include his wife Karen, daughter Katherine, son Carl, son-in-law John Roe, daughter-in-law Randi Allfather, his mother Ruth Borchert, two sisters, Barbara Gilliam and Mary Lou Boll, a brother Robert, and two grandchildren, Evan and Lydia Roe. 
 A memorial service will be held on Saturday, May 16 at 2 p.m. at the Unitarian Church. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Tuckernuck Land Trust (P.O. Box 263 Nantucket, Mass. 02554). The Trust works to protect land on Tuckernuck Island, which in the past few years had become a special place for Mr. Borchert.

Ronald Joseph "R.J." Lieberman
 Ronald Joseph "R.J." Lieberman of Benson, N.C. died Wednesday, April 8, 1998 at Johnston Memorial Hospital in Smithfield, N.C. He was 54. 
  Born in Bronx, N.Y., Mr. Lieberman was the son of Theresa Lieberman and the late Robert H. Lieberman. He was married to Roberta Lema Lieberman, a Nantucket native and the daughter of the late Robert Lema of Clayton, N.C. and Phyllis Lema of Nantucket. 
 Mr. Lieberman is survived by his mother, Theresa Lieberman; his wife, Roberta Lema Lieberman; a daughter, Danielle Lieberman of St. James, N.Y.; a son, Robert Lieberman of Benson, N.C.; a stepdaughter, Debbie Henry of Wendell, N.C.; a stepson, Chris Lavenets of Benson, N.C.; a sister, Barbara Grippo of East Meadow Long Island, N.Y. and nine grandchildren. 
 Funeral services were held Saturday, April 11, 1998 in the chapel of Rose & Graham Funeral Home in Benson by the Rev. Warren Bock. Burial was in Roselawn Cemetery in Benson.

Kenneth Clow Doonan
 Kenneth Clow Doonan of Melrose died at home on Friday, May 1, 1998. He was 88. 
  Born on March 18, 1910, Mr. Doonan grew up in Greenville, N.H. and has lived in Melrose for the past 55 years. He graduated from Milford High School in Milford, N.H. and from Cushing Academy in Ashburnham. He also received degrees from Northwestern University in 1932 and Harvard (School of Education) in 1937. 
 Mr. Doonan served in the U.S. Army during World War II and for over 35 years he worked in labor relations for the U.S. government. He was a loving family man who enjoyed gardening and conserving the environment. 
 Mr. Doonan is survived by his wife, Frances (Packard) Doonan; his daughters, Jane Keith Sisco of Evanston, Ill., Elizabeth R. Hampton of Sudbury and Nancy L. Coppelman (and son-in-law Jonathan S.) of Holliston; his son William H. Doonan (and daughter-in-law Julie Johnson); his brother, Frederick G. S. Clow of Boston and Nantucket and his grandchildren, Sarah Sisco of Astoria, N.Y., Mark Sisco of Chicago, Ill., Sarah Anne E. Hampton of Sudbury, Julia M. Coppelman, Anna E. Coppelman, Nina P. Doonan and Isabel A. Doonan all of Holliston. 
 A funeral service was held Wednesday, May 6 at 11 a.m. in the Robinson Funeral Home in Melrose. 
 Donations may be made in Mr. Doonan's memory to Hospice Care Inc., 41 Montvale Avenue, Stoneham, Mass. 02180 or to the Children's Hospital, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Mass. 02115.

John R. "Jack" Pearson
 John R. "Jack" Pearson died on Friday, April 10, 1998 in Green Valley, Ariz. 
 Mr. Pearson worked for the McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. for 25 years, serving as director of manufacturing and vice president for production. After he took early retirement, he started his own company, working as a consultant in the printing, publishing and paper fields. 
 Mr. Pearson and his wife, Barbara Burbank Pearson, have been Nantucket enthusiasts since 1962, gradually extending their stay to April through October in their Madaket home. He and his round of friends loved to fish and boat. Some of his off-island friends became islanders. 
 Mr. Pearson often could be found working on hobbies in his workshop. He also enjoyed gardening, playing bridge at the Saltmarsh Center, taking pictures and nosing around the Atheneum. He loved life, people, nature and travel and will be sorely missed by friends and family. 
 Mr. Pearson is survived by his wife Barbara; his son John R. "Randy" Pearson Jr. of Pittsburgh, Pa.; his brother, Forrest C. Pearson of San Marcos, Calif.; his nieces, Lelia Kelly of Chula Vista, Calif. and Gigi Smithers of Oxford; a cousin, Barbara Lange Godfrey of Newtown Square, Pa. and his many friends. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Mr. Pearson's name may be made to The Nature Conservancy, 1315 North Lynn St., Arlington, Va. 22209.

Curtis L. Ivey
 Curtis L. Ivey, a resident of Charleston, S.C. and Nantucket, died suddenly in Charleston on Tuesday, April 21, 1998. He was 52. 
 Mr. Ivey started his career in 1972 at Lehman Brothers and from there went on to establish his own firm, C. Ivey & Company. He was recognized as one of the nation's leading investors in debt, equity and derivatives and was well known and respected on Wall Street. He was a founding member of The Chicago Mercantile Exchange and a member of The New York State Futures Exchange, where he sat on the board of governors from 1983-86. He was also a member of the American Stock Exchange. 
 Mr. Ivey had a life-long love of sailing and was a world class competitor. Most recently, he was an avid participant at the Nantucket Yacht Club. Throughout his life, he won many national and international sailing competitions including the Swan Rolex Newport Regatta, the Figawi, and the Rhodes 19 National Championship. He was also a member of the International Star Class Yacht Racing Association. 
 While sailing Stars, Mr. Ivey won the Lake Sunapee Open, Tomahawk Regatta and, in 1971, he won every race in the Olympic classes regatta. He graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y., where he coached sailing and received the distinguished "Coach of the Year" award. He was also an avid golfer and a member of the Country Club of Charleston and the Nantucket Golf Club. 
 Mr. Ivey is survived by his wife, Ginger; his five children, Justin, Curtis, Melissa, Molly and Marietta; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Ivey Sr. of Naples, Fla. and Sunapee, N.H. and his brothers and sisters, Arthur Ivey, Beth Roy, David Ivey, Alan Ivey, Andree Fontaine, Andrew Ivey and Kathleen Carrara. 
 A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 6, 1998 at 11 a.m. at St. Joachim's Catholic Church in Sunapee, N.H. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Mr. Ivey's name to the Lake Sunapee Protective Association, P.O. Box 683, Sunapee, N.H. 03782. 
 The memorial service in Nantucket will be announced during the summer. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Nantucket Island Community Sailing, 4 Winter St., P.O. Box 2424, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Judith Ross
 Judith Ross died in her home on Tuesday, April 7, 1998. She was 56. 
 Ms. Ross was born on June 18, 1941 in Holyoke. She was a graduate of Holyoke High School and later Bay Path College and was a 20-year resident of Westfield. 
 Ms. Ross is survived by her birth daughter, Rebecca Turner, son-in-law David S. Turner Jr. and her birth grandson, Joseph Turner, all of Nantucket. She is also survived by many friends who worked with her in her 36 years with New England Telephone. She will be fondly remembered and sorely missed.

Frances Burton Anderson
Frances Burton Anderson died peacefully at Our Island Home on Thursday May 14, 1998. She was 88. 
 Mrs. Anderson was born in New Haven, Conn., the only child of Anna Maria Candee and Frank F. Burton. Family remained the focus of her life. The 59 years of marriage she shared with her husband, Carl Anderson, were interrupted only by the five years he was on active duty during World War II. When her father passed away two days before the attack on Pearl Harbor, she suddenly found herself caring for not only two boys but for the entire farm. With her mothers help, they managed, although the farm had to be sold. 
 After her mother died in 1966, Mrs. Anderson and her husband retired to their cottage in Polpis. As long as her health permitted, she remained active in D.A.R., the Unitarian Church and the Saltmarsh Center. When her great-grandchildren Rachael and Douglas arrived, she quipped, "O my God, I'm the mother of a grandfather!" Throughout her lifetime, she encountered friendship and laughter in abundance. 
 Mrs. Anderson is survived by her family: Jon Anderson of Weston, Conn., Rev. Ted and Gretchen Anderson of Nantucket; her grandchildren, Kate Caldwell, Candee Adams and Roger Anderson and her great-grandchildren, Rachael and Douglas. 
 A service was held at Our Island Home on Sunday, May 17, 1998. There was a graveside service in Grove Street Cemetery in New Haven, where Mrs. Anderson was "gathered to her ancestors" on Tuesday, May 26.

John E. Cauley
 John E. Cauley of Woods Hole died Wednesday, May 13 after a long illness. He was 72. 
  Born in Boston on August 5, 1926, he was the son of the late William T. Cauley of South Berwick, Maine, and Leonie Charles of Falmouth, Mass. He graduated from Berwick Academy in South Berwick. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps. After the war he settled on Cape Cod and started a general contracting business. He was a charter member of the Falmouth Elks Lodge and also the Amvets. 
 He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Mieczyslawa (Markey) Cygan Cauley; four children, Marcia C. Gilmore of Amesbury, Mass., John E. Landers Cauley of West Falmouth, Mass, Kathleen K.C. Browne of Medfield, Mass and William C. Cauley of Nantucket; six grandchildren; and two great grandchildren. 
 In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, Cape Cod & Islands Unit, P.O. Box 1909, Framingham, Mass. 01701.

James Franklin Chase
 James Franklin Chase died at Nantucket Cottage Hospital on Friday, May 22, 1998. He was 88. 
  Born on Oct. 22, 1909, Mr. Chase grew up on Nantucket and graduated with the Class of 1928. He had already begun working for the Nantucket Gas and Electric Company. In 1972 he retired as chief engineer. For 53 years he also kept a daily check on the wastewater treatment facility on Sea Street for the town's Department of Public Works. He was a member of the Pacific Club. 
 In 1931, Mr. Chase married Ethel Murray. He is survived by their three daughters, Nancy Chase, Phyllis Chase Burchell and Susan Chase Ottison; their son James F. Chase Jr.; six grandchildren; 15 great grandchildren and his second wife, Helen Winslow Chase. 
 A graveside service was performed by Rev. Georgia Ann Snell and Rev. Thomas M. Richard at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, May 25 at the Prospect Hill Cemetery Extension on Somerset Road. 
 Donations in Mr. Chase's memory may be made to the Our Island Home Gift Account, East Creek Road, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Joseph Michael Corcoran
 Joseph Michael Corcoran died on Friday, May 22, 1998 at Williamsburg Hospital in Williamsburg, Va., where he was a resident for 20 years. He was 87. 
  Born on June 19, 1910, Mr. Corcoran served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Virginia Loomis Corcoran of Williamsburg and his step-son, Robert E. Tonkin of Nantucket. 
 A service was held at Bruton Parish Church in Williamsburg on Monday, May 25, 1998. 
 In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Hospice of Williamsburg, 312 Waller Mill Road, Room 150, Williamsburg, Va. 23185.

Cormac C. Feeney
 Cormac C. Feeney, infant son of Michael J. and Bernadette Feeney and brother of Kristofer, Greta, Ingrid and Aidan Feeney and the late Michael J. Feeney Jr., died Monday, May 18, 1998 shortly after his birth. 
 In addition to his parents and siblings, he leaves his grandparents, Mrs. Mary Louise Mannix of Boston and Vero Beach, Fla. and the late James J. Mannix and the late John J. and Margaret Feeney. He also leaves several aunts and uncles including James and Rebekah Mannix of Cambridge, Mass.; James and Rosemary Lonborg and Katie and Paul Hayes, all of Scituate; John and Krista Feeney of Highland Mills, N.Y. and Grace Rothwell of Ashburn, Va. and several cousins. 
 A graveside service will be held on Thursday, May 21 at 10 a.m. in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Lynn. Mass.

Ronald "Ronnie" Samuel Cormie
 Ronald "Ronnie" Samuel Cormie died suddenly on Sunday, May 31, 1998 in Tucson, Ariz., surrounded by friends. He was 66. 
  Born in St. John, New Brunswick on Jan. 25, 1932, he was lovingly parented by the late Aquila and Jennie Cormie on Nantucket. There, he was an active member of the Nantucket Boys Club, the Boy Scouts of America, and numerous athletic clubs, including amateur boxing, swimming, ice hockey and football. He graduated from Nantucket High School, class of 1951. 
 Mr. Cormie was the island's last blacksmith. The Whaling Museum acquired his tools, which are on display there. 
 A flying enthusiast, Mr. Cormie enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in 1952 and served 20 proud years. He was initially stationed at D.M.A.F.B. in Tucson, where he was educated at the University of Arizona and met his lovely wife, Joanne Cormie. They would have celebrated their 39th wedding anniversary this July. He was an outstanding medical technician and received numerous honors and awards while in the Air Force. 
 Mr. Cormie traveled extensively throughout the world, particularly Europe and the Mediterranean and sadly leaves many friends throughout the globe. When he relocated back to Arizona 15 years ago, he was an active and proud mason, a member of the Oasis Lodge 52 FAM in Tucson. 
 A lover of nature and the environment, Mr. Cormie had a deep fondness for the ocean. He appreciated the arts, theater and all music and was an active thespian. He held a zest for life and was a kind, generous, charismatic person. He always tried to make others smile. He loved his family dearly. He loved God and was a true patriot. His spirit for life will be sorely missed. 
 Mr. Cormie is survived by his wife Joanne Eleanor Cormie; a daughter, Jennie Quilleen Cormie; a son, Ronald Eric Cormie; grandchildren Athena, Tabitha and Lyric and family friend Myles Paige Russell. 
 Cremation, with a private family service, took place at Heather Mortuary in Tucson. A memorial service is pending. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Joanne E. Cormie, c/o 835 Ripley St., Santa Rose, Calif. 95401.

Margaret A. Fee
 Margaret A. Fee died at Nantucket Cottage Hospital on Thursday, April 30, 1998. A resident of Landmark House for several years, Mrs. Fee was the widow of Albert A. Fee. 
 She was born in 1908 in Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland. As a teenager, she came to Nantucket, where she lived all her life. Married in 1933 at St. Mary's Church, she was the mother of two daughters, Marie Sullivan of Munster, Ind. and Peggy Dugan of Topeka, Kansas. She had 10 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren. Relatives on the island are Anne and Kathy Geddes, Dorothy McGervey, Pat Waterhouse and the Fee families. 
 Mrs. Fee was preceded in death by a granddaughter, Debbie Eaton. 
 The funeral Mass was celebrated by Fr. Lopes and burial was at St. Mary's Cemetery. 
 Donations may be made to St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle Church or the Landmark House.

John K. Whitney
 John K. Whitney, co-founder and chairman of Gaymar Industries, a medical equipment manufacturer in Orchard Park, New York, died Saturday, May 30, 1998 near Boise, Idaho, in a plane crash of an experimental light plane. He was 69. 
 Mr. Whitney, a lifelong aviation enthusiast, had purchased a kit to build the plane, a three quarter-scale replica of a World War II fighter, the P-5 1 Mustang. 
 He was on a demonstration flight with an expert Boise pilot, Dale M. Clarke, 54, who had flown the plane at air shows since last October. Clark also was killed. 
 Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board were baffled at why the high-performance propeller plane crashed nose-first. The fliers did not signal that they were in trouble. 
  Born in Dickinson, N.D., Whitney was an engineering graduate of the University of North Dakota, where he met Marilyn, his wife of 48 years. Both have been active as alumni. 
 Mr. Whitney and his wife, Marilyn, founded Gaymar Industries in 1956 and built it into an international company specializing in equipment for alleviation of decutibus ulcers and management of body temperature. The company employs more than 220 in western New York. 
 Mr. Whitney was a prominent figure in the health-care industry and was instrumental in founding the Health Industries Manufacturing Association. 
 In recent years, he had lived in Dorado Beach, Puerto Rico. Inspired by the heroic early aviators, he had a lifelong love of flying and owned numerous airplanes. 
 Nevertheless, Mr. Whitney was rejected as a pilot by the Air Force during the Korean War because of color blindness. He served instead in the Army, attaining the rank of 1st sergeant in the medical corps. He came to the Buffalo, N.Y. area to take a job in General Mills' O-Cel-o Division and found another outlet for his expertise in plastics when he founded Gaymar Industries in the basement of his home. 
 At first, he and his wife made electronic welded plastic products, such as placemats and book covers. Their first medical product was an oxygen tent in 1957. Gaymar made its first alternating pressure pump and pad mattress for the prevention and treatment of decubitus ulcers in 1960. 
 Their son, John K. Jr., became president and chief operating officer of Gaymar in 1992, but died of cancer in 1994. The Whitneys have given major support to cancer research since his death. 
 In addition to his wife, survivors include three daughters, Ann and Mary, both of Puerto Rico, and Jean of New York City; and five grandchildren. 
 A memorial service is planned at a later date.

Nancy Allis Claflin
 Nancy Allis Claflin, of Lincoln and Nantucket, an ardent conservationist and naturalist, died suddenly of cardiac arrest while fly fishing on the Housatonic River in western Connecticut on Wednesday, June 10, 1998. She was 77. 
 Mrs. Claflin was raised in Milwaukee, Wis., the daughter of Josephine and Edward Allis. She graduated from the Masters School in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., and attended Smith College for two years before marrying William H. Claflin III, of Boston, in 1941. After the war the couple settled in Belmont, summering every year in Nantucket. 
 Mrs. Claflin became active in a number of community organizations as she raised her six children. She was an avid bird watcher and a longtime member and honorary trustee of the Massachusetts Audubon Society. More recently she became a trustee and valued supporter of the Manomet Center of Conservation Sciences. She was a longtime supporter of the Maria Mitchell Association. She was also a member of the Board of Overseers at the De Cordova Museum in Lincoln. 
 A lifelong learner and benefactor of educational institutions, Mrs. Claflin entered the continuing education program at the University of New Hampshire, earning her bachelor of arts in 1978. She was devoted to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts with a particular commitment to Egyptian and Asiatic art and was an indefatigable volunteer in the Museum's education program. She was also a supporter of the Boston Symphony, the Fogg Art Museum, the Trustees of Reservation, and the Belmont Hill School. She traveled ceaselessly, pursuing her ardent interests in art and the environment. 
 Nantucket was always one of the focal points of her life. Mrs. Claflin's late husband's family built their house on Hulbert Avenue in 1897 and Mrs. Claflin came to love and cherish the fragile beauties of the island on her every visit. For years she was on the Trustees Advisory Committee, Coskata-Coatue, for the Trustees of Reservation, and involved herself with virtually every conservation and environmental organization on the island. 
 A devoted birdwatcher, two of the highlighters of her year was banding birds with Edith Andrews at Mothball out at Cisco and taking part in the Christmas Bird Count. Her joy came from leading birding expeditions and sharing the wonders of Nantucket's natural world. 
 For Mrs. Claflin there was no greater delight than to find a dune in Wauwinet and watch the sun set into one horizon and watch the full moon rising from the other. The beauty of nature on Nantucket would call her down at a moment's notice to watch a raging gale or the arrival of a rare bird. 
 Mrs. Claflin was predeceased by her daughter, Becky, in 1959 and her husband in 1980. She is survived by her twin brother, Charlie Allis of Williamsville, Ore.; her older brother Ted Allis of Lafayette, La.; five children: Tim Claflin of Brookline; Jody Horan of East Thetford, Vt.; Pren Claflin of Nantucket; Ned Claflin of Andover and Lainey Alexander of Mount Washington, N.H. She is also survived by seven grandchildren. 
 There will be a memorial service in Nantucket in late August. Donations in her memory may be sent to Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge, Trustees of Reservation, P.O. Box 172, Nantucket, Mass. 02554.

Barbara Casey
 Barbara Casey, of New Canaan, Conn., died Monday, May 25, 1998 in Middletown, R.I. She was 26. 
 Ms. Casey died of injuries sustained in an airplane crash, according to her family. 
  Born April 20, 1972 in Stamford, Conn., she was the daughter of Karen McDevitt Casey of Rowayton and the late Eugene J. Casey Jr. She grew up in Rowayton and was employed with Ann Vuille in South Norwalk, Conn. the last two years as a fashion designer. She lived the last three years in New Canaan. 
 Ms. Casey is survived by her mother, Karen McDevitt Casey of Rowayton; her grandparents Eugene J. Casey Sr. and Inez Tango Casey of Bonita Springs, Fla.; three uncles, Brian Stephen Casey of Guilford, Conn., Francis X. Casey of Wilton, Conn. and Robert P. Casey of Weston, Conn. and five aunts, Pamela Stagg of Wellesley Hill, Conn., Susan Engel and Mary Grace Tsujimoto, both of New Canaan, Maureen Casey Lefebvre of Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Christine Casey Rovics of Danbury, Conn. 
 A memorial Mass was held on Friday, May 29, 1998 at St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church in Darien. Father J. Barry Furey officiated. 
 Memorial contributions may be made to Kids in Crisis, One Salem St., Cos Cob, Conn. 06807.

Eugene Casey
 Eugene J. Casey Jr. of Rowayton, Conn., died Monday, May 25, 1998 in Middletown, R.I. He was 56. 
 Mr. Casey died of injuries sustained in an airplane crash, according to his family. 
  Born Dec. 21, 1941 in Toledo, Ohio, Mr. Casey was the son of Eugene J. Casey Sr. and Inez Tango Casey of Bonita Springs, Fla. He earned a bachelor's degree in marketing from Merrimack College in Massachusetts. He lived in Rowayton for the last 29 years and was a member of the St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church in Darien, Conn. 
 Mr. Casey had been the president and creative director of King-Casey Inc. in New Canaan, Conn. since 1963. He often lectured on design and strategy for many associations, universities and advertising agencies. 
 For his creative work with KCI, Mr. Casey has received many advertising industry awards, including CLIOs, DESIs, IDSAs and PDCs, for outstanding and innovative designs. He was a member and past president of the Association of professional Design Firms. 
 Among Mr. Casey's major clients were Merrill Lynch, Mercedes Benz, Citibank, Burger King and Nabisco. 
 Mr. Casey is survived by his wife, Karen McDevitt Casey of Rowayton; his parents Eugene J. Casey Sr. and Inez Tango Casey of Bonita Springs; three brothers, Brian Stephen Casey of Guilford, Conn., Francis X. Casey of Wilton, Conn. and Robert P. Casey of Weston, Conn.; four sisters, Susan Engel and Mary Grace Tsujimoto, both of New Canaan, Maureen Casey Lefebvre of Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Christine Casey Rovics of Danbury, Conn.; nine nieces and three nephews. 
 A memorial Mass was held on Friday, May 29, 1998 at St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church in Darien. Father J. Barry Furey officiated. 
 Memorial contributions may be made to St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church, 374 Middlesex Road, Darien, Conn. 06829. 

William Livingston Desloge
 William Livingston Desloge, a retired business executive and civic leader, died Tuesday, May 26, 1998 at St. Luke's Hospital in Chesterfield after a long illness. He was 86. 
 For more than 20 years, Mr. Desloge was president of the Grimm Stamp & Badge Co., a manufacturer of traffic and industrial signs. He bought the business in 1947 and sold it and retired in the early 1970s. 
 Mr. Desloge was born in Bonne Terre, Mo. He was the son of Firmin Desloge, a longtime resident of Cliff Road, Nantucket, from the early 1920s to 1952. 
 Mr. Desloge met his wife Loriel on Nantucket in 1936. They spent their honeymoon on island. 
 Mr. Desloge attended St. Louis Country Day School and John Burroughs School. He also attended Deerfield Academy. He earned a bachelor's degree from Williams College in Williamstown. He had careers in banking, investments, electrical manufacturing and the aircraft industry, as well as the sign company. 
 Mr. Desloge was a board member of the Central Institute of the Deaf and served as a past president, director and on the executive committee of the Missouri Historical Society. he was a former member of the Neighborhood Association, a United Way Agency. He also was a past president of the Racquet Club of St. Louis and a member of the Nantucket Yacht Club. He was a longtime supporter of the Nantucket Conservation Commission. 
 Mr. Desloge was the grandson of Firmin Desloge II, who made a fortune in lead mining in Missouri and helped fund Firmin Desloge Hospital, now St. Louis University Hospital. 
 Mr. Desloge is survived by his wife of more than 60 years, Loriel Johnson Desloge; two daughters, Loriel D. Hogan of Creve Coeur and Diane D. Clarke of Hingham; three sons, William L. Desloge Jr. of Brasov, Romania; Stephen R. Desloge of Wilton, Conn. and Christopher D. Desloge of Darien, Conn.; a brother, Theodore P. Desloge of Vero Beach, Fla.; 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. 
 Memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Desloge's memory to the Missouri Historical Society, the Central Institute for the Dear or to a charity of the donor's choice.

David H. DuPont
 David H. Dupont, of Montclair, N.J., died on Saturday, May 23, 1998. 
  Born in Newark, N.J., Mr. Dupont lived most of his life in Montclair. He was an aeronautical engineer for Curtis-Wright Aeronautical Co. He also lived in Woodbridge, N.J. for many years before his retirement 23 years ago. he was an Army veteran of World War II and an avid gardener. 
 Mr. Dupont is survived by his wife, Elsie Dupont; daughter Jane Hobson-Dupont of Nantucket; son-in-law Jack Hobson-Dupont also of Nantucket; sister Gertrude Schacht of Nutley, N.J. and grandson Maximillian Hobson-Dupont of Nantucket. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in Mr. Dupont's memory to the Union Congregational Church, Cooper Avenue, Montclair, N.J. 

Robert Layfield
 Robert E. Layfield, beloved husband of Margaret (Carey) Layfield, died Monday, April 27, 1998. He was 74. 
 Margaret "Peg" H. Layfield, beloved wife of Robert E. Layfield, died Friday, March 13, 1998. She was 86. 
 Both had lived in Holyoke and Amherst for many years before coming to reside in Our Island Home on Nantucket. 
 Mr. Layfield was a World War II veteran. He worked for Collier's Encyclopedia in New England for many years. He also drove a taxi in Springfield. 
 Mrs. Layfield was a loving mother and grandmother. 
 Mr. and Mrs. Layfield are survived by their son, James, of Nantucket and their daughter, Linda Hess, of Holyoke; several grandchildren including Farleigh, Kaitlyn Alexandra and Kelsey of Nantucket and Elhana Layfield-Warner of New York. 
 A memorial Mass was held at St. Mary's Church on Sunday, June 7, 1998. 

Dennis J. Looney
 Dennis J. Looney died in Boston on Friday, May 8, 1998. He was 92. 
 Mr. Looney had been a summer resident of Madaket since 1932 and was very active in a number of civic associations relating to Smith's Point and Madaket. 
 His wife, Rosalie, predeceased him in 1988. He is survived by his sons, Dennis J. Looney Jr., of Wellesley, and David J. Looney of Wayland. He was the grandfather of Susan M. Looney, William G. Looney, David J. Looney Jr. and Rosemary L. Forster, all of whom worked on Nantucket for many summers. He is also survived by a great-grandchild, Jessica Rose Looney. 
 His funeral Mass and burial was held on Tuesday, May 12, 1998. Donations in his memory may be made to the Good Samaritan Hospice of Boston, 310 Allston Street, Boston, Mass. 02146. 

Alice M. Eastwood
 Alice Marion Miller Eastwood died on Tuesday, June 2, 1998 in Bridgetown, Barbados, West Indies. She was 91. 
 Formerly of Lexington, Va. and Nantucket, Mrs. Eastwood was the wife of the late Dr. Reid White Jr. She was born in Montclair, N.J. and received her bachelor of art's from Smith College in 1929. She married Dr. White in 1929, who died in 1952. She was subsequently married in 1967 to Minard Hamilton, who died in 1976. In 1977 she married John Gibson Eastwood, who died in 1987. She moved to Barbados in 1988, where she resided until her death. 
 In the 1950s and 1960s, Mrs. Eastwood taught music in Princeton, N.J. and at The Anglo-American School in Athens, Greece. 
 Mrs. Eastwood is survived by a daughter, Edith White Danton of Yarmouthport; a son, Reid White III of Lenox and four granddaughters, Alice Danton, Susan Danton, Emilie White and Gillian White. 

Albert J. Pitkin
 Albert J. Pitkin, aged 91, sailed to his true home early on Memorial Day. It was a gracious leave taking, typical of my Dad. He was a gentle man, full of good humor and wise observations. He cared passionately for ow world and all of its inhabitants and extended the hospitality of his heart to all. A life-long sailor, he and his wife Rosalie (my mother), spent over 60 years cruising and exploring the Atlantic coastline and its waterways. For 30 years they lived and played on Nantucket while operating their real estate and insurance business. Their love of people and the island led them to be actively involved in a number of ways that benefited others. 
 When they retired to Beaufort, S.C., 20 years ago, these loves remained a part ofthem. Together they were active in Hospioe, the yacht club, and church, and when mother died in 1990, Dad maintained the gift of hospitality. His writing skills, which people encouraged him to use writing books, were used instead to write letters, keeping old friendships going, creating new ones, and supporting environmental and social concerns. An avid reader, creative thinker, and wordsmith, his greatest gift was a loving, caring heart, and a willingness to explore and grow. 
 He leaves his daughter, Elise Schlaikjer of LeRoy, Mich.; two grandchildren, Laura Schlaikjer of Leyden, and Erich Schlaikjer of Radlett, England; and four great-grandchildren. 
 There will be two memorial services. One at MorningStar Adventures, a spiritual life and retreat center that he did much to support, and a later one at St. Helena's Episcopal Church in Beaufort with burial in their church yard. The dates will be announced later. Contributions in his memory may be made to MorningStar Adventures, 20564 Morningstar Trail, LeRoy, Mich. 49655, or Friends of Caroline Hospice, Box 1686, Beaufort, S.C. 29901.