Miscellaneous Nantucket County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Mollie Starbuck Norcross
  Mollie Starbuck Norcross died peacefully in her sleep at Nantucket Cottage Hospital on Saturday, Jan. 24, 1998. She was 91. 
  Born and educated in New York, Mrs. Norcross attended Holy Cross School, Holy Cross Academy and Pratt's Secretarial. She lived in New York and summered on Nantucket until her marriage to Allen Edward Norcross in 1927, when she moved permanently to Nantucket. She worked as the librarian at the Maria Mitchell Association for 28 years and as secretary to Gordon A. Folger at the Gordon Folger Hotel, for 17 years. She was a member of St. Mary's Church and St. Mary's Rosary Group. 
 A descendent of Joseph Starbuck, Mrs. Norcross was predeceased by her parents, Maurice and Mary Starbuck, by her husband, Allen Edward Norcross and by her son, Allen Starbuck Norcross. 
 Mrs. Norcross is survived by her three grandchildren, Lynda Ann Scurlock of Suffolk, Va., and Ann Marie Egan and Edward Allen Norcross, both of Nantucket, and five great-grandchildren, Pamela Lynn Arnold, Gilbert Harold Arnold, James Allen Egan, Naomi Ashley Norcross and April Lynn Norcross.

Alma Pierce Robbins
 Alma Pierce Robbins of Clearwater, Fla. died Saturday, Nov. 29, 1997 at a Clearwater hospital. She was 99. 
 Ms. Robbins was born in Vassalboro, Maine on Oct. 4, 1898, the youngest child of Ira and Lucy Robbins. She attended Vassalboro schools and was a graduate of Brewster Academy in Wolfboro, N.H., in 1917. 
 Ms. Robbins attended colleges in New Hampshire and Massachusetts and worked in the public health field, working as a social worker for the City of Boston for over 30 years. During World War II, she served in the WACs. 
 For many years Ms. Robbins made her home on Nantucket and was the editor of the Nantucket Historical Association's newsletter. Following her retirement, she lived in Vassalboro, Clearwater, and Arcata, Calif. She returned to Florida in 1985, where she remained until her death. 
 Among her numerous published writings, Ms. Robbins wrote the "History of Vassalborough" in 1971. 
 Ms. Robbins is survived by two nieces and five nephews. Following her wishes, no services were held.

Rogene Tuach
Rogene Tuach died Friday, Jan. 9, 1998 in Naples, Fla. She was 86. 
 She had been a winter resident of Naples for 30 years. She was also a longtime summer resident of Sconset. 
 Mrs. Tuach was born in Oregon, Ill. Her grandfather, a piano maker, instilled in her a love for music. She attended the University of Illinois and was a member of the Sigma Kappa Sorority. In 1934 she married Bill Tuach, moving to Pittsburgh, Pa. and ultimately to Westport, Conn. They spent 61 years together, enjoying life to the fullest. 
 In 1951 the Tuach's were house guests of friends in Sconset. They immediately fell in love with the island that reminded Bill of his native Scotland. They bought The Wheelhouse on Sankaty Road in 1953. 
 She is preceded in death by her husband, Bill. She is survived by a son and daughter-in-law, Bill and Betty Tuach of Orange, Conn.; daughter and son-in-law, Bob and Lynn Stroud of Cincinnati, Ohio; granddaughters Beth Lendrum, Laura Tuach, Sheryl Tuach and Carrie Stroud. She is also survived by two great grandchildren, Christopher and Kaitlyn Lendrum. 
 A memorial service will be held at the Sconset Chapel in June. 
 Gifts in Mrs. Tuach's memory may be sent to Hospice of Naples Inc., 1095 Wippoorwill Lane, Naples, Fla. 34105 or to the Siasconset Union Chapel, P.O. Box 106, Siasconset, Mass. 02564.
Ellen F. (Barnard) Terry
 Ellen F. (Barnard) Terry of Hyannis, formerly of Nantucket, died unexpectedly at her Hyannis home on Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1998. She was 83. Born in New York City, Mrs. Terry lived on Nantucket until her mid-twenties. She was the daughter of the late Frank and Sabina (Scully) Barnard and the wife of the late Edward Terry. Mrs. Terry came to Hyannis from Nantucket where she lived until her death. For many years she worked for the Hyannis Pharmacy as a clerk until retiring in the mid-1980s. Mrs. Terry is survived by her brother Elliot J. Barnard of Hyannis; her sister, Marguerite Kelley of Nantucket, as well as several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband and parents.

Anna (Riley) McLean
 Anna (Riley) McLean of Winchester and Nantucket died on Saturday, Nov. 7, 1998 in the Aberjona Nursing Center, Winchester. She was 88. 
 Mrs. McLean was born in Boston and lived in Nantucket for 18 years and in Winchester for 50 years. She married Edward G. McLean and was a homemaker. 
 A member of the Saltmarsh Center, Mrs. McLean was an active senior citizen member of the Immaculate Conception Church Ladies Sodality in Winchester. 
 Predeceased by her husband Edward, Mrs. McLean is survived by two daughters, Barbara A. Hartnett of Maynard and Suzanne Sullivan of Nantucket; a son, Richard McLean of Winchester; 11 grandchildren and great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews. 
 A funeral Mass was held at the Immaculate Conception Church in Winchester on Monday, Nov. 9. Burial was at Wildwood Cemetery in Winchester. 
 Memorial donations may be made in Mrs. McLean's memory to the Saltmarsh Center, 81 Washington St. Ext., Nantucket, MA 02554.

Mildred L. Breare
 Mildred L. Breare died on Friday, Nov. 27 at Tobey Hospital in Wareham, Mass. She was 79. 
 Breare was predeceased by her husband Augustus in 1985. Together they owned and managed The Century House on Cliff Road for over 20 years. Mrs. Breare was Past Pocahontas, Wonoma Council No. 109 as well as Grange Past Master on the island. 
 She is survived by two daughters, Willow Santangelo and Shirley Sylvia, both of Florida; grandson Dennis Santangelo of Nantucket and six other grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter. 
 The family requests that in lieu of flowers donations in her memory be made to the American Heart Association, Massachusetts Affiliate, Inc., 20 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701-4688. Burial will be in the Prospect Hill Cemetery on Nantucket. 

Anthony B. Cahill Sr.
 Anthony B. Cahill Sr., of Bonita Springs, Fla. and Nantucket, died after an extended illness on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 1998. He was 68. 
  Born in New York City on Nov. 19, 1929, son of the late Russell B. Cahill and Estelle Horhan Cahill, he grew up in Pelham Manor and Mamaroneck, N.Y. and was educated at Iona Prep School and attended Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y. He lived in various towns in Westchester Country, including White Plains, Bedford Village, Chappaqua and Somers, until he retired in 1990. He then moved to Florida, continuing to summer on Nantucket, as he had since the 1960s. 
 Mr. Cahill worked in the heavy construction industry, first in the 1940s during summers while a student and after serving in the U.S. Marines from 1950-1952, continuing in the construction business throughout his business career. His work was primarily in road construction and included public projects such as the New York State Thruway built in the early 1950s where he was involved in the construction of the Tappan Zee Bridge and Westchester Toll Plaza in Tarrytown, N.Y. 
 Having the foresight to follow the major trend of the development of the upper portion of Westchester County, N.Y. in the late 1950s into the 1960s, in 1963 Mr. Cahill founded Cahill Paving Corporation, originally in Katonah, N.Y., soon after moving his company to Bedford Hills, N.Y., where it remained for many years. He started Putnam Asphalt Corporation in Patterson, N.Y. as well as Harlem Valley Materials, Inc. in Wassaic, N.Y., all doing business throughout Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess counties. He continued to successfully run his businesses until his retirement in 1990. 
 Mr. Cahill served for 15 years as a trustee for the Pension Fund of the Local 137 Operating Engineers Union. He was a member of Sankaty Head Golf Club in Siasconset and Bonita Bay Golf Club in Bonita Springs, Fla., an officer in the Westchester County Contractor's Association and a member of the Westchester Bituminous Asphalt Association. 
 In addition to his wife, Karen Butler Cahill, he is survived by three sons, Richard F. Cahill of San Diego, Calif., Anthony B. Cahill Jr. of Ridgefield, Conn. and James E. Cahill of Nantucket, and his brother, John J. Cahill of Vero Beach, Fla. He is also survived by five grandchildren, his former wife Valerie, many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews, two stepdaughters and two stepsons. 
 Mr. Cahill was a parishioner of St. Mary's in Nantucket and St. John's the Evangelist Church in Naples, Fla. Burial was in Prospect Hill Cemetery in Nantucket. 
 Remembrances may be made by a donation to the Sankaty Head Caddy Camp of Sankaty Head Golf Club in Nantucket, P.O. Box 875, Siasconset, MA 02564, which helps young boys earn scholarships for college. 

Mitchell P. Feinberg
 Mitchell P. Feinberg of Hurley, N.Y. lost his life in an automobile accident on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 1998 in Suffern, N.Y. He was 45. 
 Feinberg was a partner in Rahm and Son Construction of Kingston, N.Y. and a member of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Poughkeepsie Local 203. 
  Born July 21, 1953 in New York City, the son of Abram Feinberg and Retta Benge Feinberg, he was raised in Port Jefferson, N.Y. and lived in Hudson and Rhinebeck, N.Y. before moving to Hurley last year. He was a building contractor, and in recent years he had built several homes on Nantucket, the last on Maxcy Pond Road. 
 He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Catherine C. (Goode) Feinberg; three sons, Paul, Ryan and Matthew; two brothers, Mike of Setauket, N.Y. and Marc of Pomona, Calif.; and many nieces and nephews. 

Belle B. Geller
 Belle B. Geller of Carlsbad, Calif., died in Boston on Wednesday, Dec. 2, 1998. She was 78. 
  Born in Sioux City, Iowa, she and her husband Harold had a retail business in Los Angeles for a number of years. Before retiring in 1982 she worked as a bookkeeper for a national chain of jewelry stores. Most recently she had been living on Nantucket with her daughter, Barbara Toole. 
 She was predeceased by her husband, Harold Aaron Geller and son Barry Geller. She is survived by her daughter Barbara Toole of Nantucket and grandchildren Barrie, Jessica, Lisa and David Nager, all of Nantucket. 
 Remembrances may be made to the Adult Community Day Center of Nantucket, which so kindly opened their arms to Mrs. Geller in her short time on the island. Donations may be sent to the Adult Community Day Center, 144 Orange St., Nantucket, MA 02554. 
 A memorial service will be held Sunday, Dec. 20 at 1 p.m. in the Old North Vestry of the First Congregational Church on Centre St.

Clara Jones Larrabee McGrady
 Clara Jones Larrabee McGrady died Saturday, December 5, 1998. She was 89. 
 She was born Nov. 16, 1909 to Harry and Susan Larrabee in the family farmhouse on Hummock Pond Road. There she grew up around horses, which became a lifelong passion for her. She attended island schools, and after graduation from Nantucket High School went to work for the telephone company. 
 Shortly thereafter she met John F. McGrady Sr. They were wed on Sept. 30, 1934, and were married for 39 years, when he died Dec. 4, 1973. They lived with their three children on Hummock Pond Road where Mrs. McGrady operated Hilltop Riding Stables for over 40 years until 1980. 
 Mrs. McGrady was known across the island as a fine horsewoman and an astute businesswoman. She rode with the Nantucket Hunt Club and competed professionally, riding other people's horses in Madison Square Garden. Hundreds of island children and summer residents learned to ride at her stable where she gave lessons along with her daughter Pat and other young instructors she hired over the years. Among her favorite horses were Little Man and Marigold. She rode well into her 70s and later in life became involved in harness racing at the Miacomet Raceway Association with her trotting pony Remlap Gal. She competed, wearing her racing silks of kelly green and white, and also served as the official timer. 
 Her other interests included gardening. Mrs. McGrady especially loved Daffodil Weekend and won many ribbons and trophies competing with her lovingly-grown daffodils. She also worked for many years at the Nantucket Information Bureau, which her sister, the late Susan King, ran for a number of years, and she worked as a secretary for Myles Reis Trucking Co., which was owned by her sister and her husband. 
 Mrs. McGrady was predeceased by a sister, Susan King, and her brother, Harry Larrabee. She is survived by two sisters: Bertha O'Neil and Priscilla Reis, both of Nantucket; two sons: John F. McGrady Jr. and Robert W. McGrady, both of Nantucket; a daughter, Patricia McGrady Dennehy of Taunton; seven grandchildren, Patrick W. McGrady, Pamela F. McGrady, Patricia L. Boynton, Rev. Jacqueline McGrady, Sean R. McGrady, Kathleen Dennehy and Robert D. McGrady, and five great-grandchildren. 
 Funeral services were held Monday, Dec. 7 at St. Paul's Church on Nantucket. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in her name to benefit the employees of Our Island Home, who were so good to her the last two years she was a resident there.

Leeds Mitchell Jr.
 Leeds Mitchell Jr., of Barrington, R.I. died Friday, Dec. 4, 1998 at his home. He was 86. 
 Mr. Mitchell was born in Chicago, Ill., the son of the late Leeds and Dorothy (Day) Mitchell. He has lived in Barrington since 1968 and had previously lived in Chicago, Ill. Winnetka, Ill., Coral Gables, Fla. and Glastonbury, Conn. He was the husband of Margery "Mudge" (Dyer) Mitchell. 
 His Nantucket roots go back to Richard Mitchell Jr., who came to Nantucket in 1731. He would be a several-times-removed cousin of famous astronomer Maria Mitchell. But the later history of Leed's family is also noteworthy: His grandfather, J. Sidney Mitchell, born on Nantucket, was a prominent physician in Chicago, a long-time summer resident of Nantucket, and in 1894 became the first president of the Nantucket Historical Association (NHA), to which he devoted much of his time and energies. 
 Leeds Mitchell Jr., whose name derived from his grandmother, Helen Leeds of Philadelphia, spent most of his summers on Nantucket where he was well known as a yachtman. He was, like his grandfather, a generous supporter of the NHA, contributing many valuable artifacts and collections of family papers. 
 He attended the Harris and Latin Schools in Chicago and the Fessenden School in West Newton, graduating from Phillips Academy in Andover. Mr. Mitchell attended Yale University for two years and the University of Chicago for two years. 
 Mr. Mitchell served as president of the Motorless Flight Institute in Chicago from 1940 to 1942. After serving in the Army Air Corps as a glider pilot and glider pilot instructor during WWII, he finished his Army career in charge of Pilot Glider Training for the Troop Carrier Command in the Pentagon in 1945. 
 He then was the Sales Manager for the United Paperboard Co. in the New England Territory until 1957, later working in sales and marketing for Gardner Board and Carton Co., Dave Chapman Industrial Design, and Pure Oil Co., all in Chicago. He was the vice president of North American Hydrofoil Inc. in Chicago and Miami, Fla. from 1961 to 1964 and during the same time period became president of General Hydrofoil Corp. in New York, N.Y. He was president of Riverboat Inc. in Hartford, Conn. piloting sightseeing boats from Hartford to Long Island from 1964 to 1967. Mr. Mitchell retired in 1968. 
 While living in Barrington he was active in local, Narragansett Bay, national and international sailing, teaching sailing and initiating the sailing club at Barrington High School. Mr. Mitchell was also a composer of music, an orchestrater and an instrumentalist. He was a past president of Off The Ground, a musical group in Winnetka, Ill. dedicated to raising money for charity and wrote and orchestrated music for the group from 1951 to 1961. 
 A member of the New York Yacht Club since 1963, Mr. Mitchell belonged to the Barrington Yacht Club since 1968 and was awarded the Isaac B. Merriman Trophy, the highest award given at the club as well as the Lipton Cup awarded for sportsmanship, revitalized and expanded the Frostbiting program and served as the Race Committee Chairman from 1972 to 1975. He was a member of the Ida Lewis Yacht Club from 1975 to 1978, the Chicago Yacht Club and was a lifetime member of the Nantucket Yacht Club. He was a member of the Highlanders of the U.S., the Cruising Club of America since 1973, the Narragansett Bay Yachting Association and was awarded the Tripp Trophy, the Highest award from NBYA and served as secretary from 1976 to 1981. 
 Mr. Mitchell was the vice president of the Rhode Island State Yachting Advisory Committee from 1976 to 1987. He was the president and treasurer of the Rhode Island International Sailing Association and Chairman of the North American Inter-Class Solo Championship since its inception in 1972. He was elected to the Judging Program of the United States Yacht Racing Union (USYRU) in 1980 and was a senior race officer of USYRU. Mr. Mitchell also served as a judge for two America's Cup races held in Newport, R.I. He had also served as the Harbormaster for the Town of Barrington. He donated the Mitchell Bowl Award to the Hospice Care of Rhode Island Regatta, a trophy given to the first boat to finish the race. 
 Mr. Mitchell is survived by his wife; a son, Leeds Mitchell III of Barrington; two daughters, Leeanne M. King of Rutherford, N.J. and Dorothy M. Yoreo of Barrington; seven grandchildren and three great grandchildren. He was also the brother of the late Margaret Wendell. 
 A memorial Service was held on Wednesday, Dec. 9 at 4:30 p.m. in the Barrington Congregational Church, 460 County Road in Barrington. A graveside service will be today, Dec. 10, in Prospect Hill Cemetery at 12:30 p.m. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Mitchell's memory to Hospice Care of Rhode Island East Bay Team, Box H Annex Station, Providence, RI 02901.

Dorothy M. Petumenos
 Dorothy M. Petumenos died on Monday, Oct. 26, 1998 at Our Island Home following a brief illness. She was 85. 
 Mrs. Petumenos was born on Jan. 1, 1913 in New London, Conn., the daughter of Charles L. Maxson and Mabel Shepherd Maxson. 
 Her family settled in Norwich, Conn., where she attended Norwich public schools and graduated from the Norwich Free Academy in 1931. 
 She married Nicholas B. Petumenos on April 4, 1932 and in 1949 they settled their family on Nantucket. 
 After her husband's death in July 1978, Mrs. Petumenos became actively involved in the affairs and activities of the elderly. She was a member of the Board of Directors of the Nantucket Center for Elder Affairs, Inc. from 1986 to 1988 and was elected a lifetime Honorary Board Member. She was appointed by the Board of Selectmen as the Nantucket representative to the Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands and served from 1987 to 1990, attending legislative sessions concerning the elderly at the State House in Boston (Silver-haired Legislature), and was a member of the Nutrition Committee during her term. 
 For several years she was president of the local chapter of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). She was an active member of St. Paul's Church and remained actively involved in all matters concerning the elderly until ill health confined her to home. 
 She is survived by four children, Barbara (Holdgate) Thomas and Marina Austin, both of Nantucket, Bill Petumenos of Casper, Wyo., and Timothy Petumenos of Anchorage, Alaska; nine grandchildren and nine great grandchildren; a sister, Virginia Kay of North Franklin, Conn.; and four nieces and a nephew. 
 A memorial service was held at St. Paul's Church on Nov. 8 and her ashes laid to rest beside her husband in the Edward B. Lewis Memorial Cemetery on Nantucket.

Edward G. Stanley-Brown, M.D.
 Edward G. Stanley-Brown, M.D., of Naples, Fla. and Siasconset, died on Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1998 after a short illness. He was 75. 
 A life-long summer resident of the island, he was known as Ted and was the great grandson of James A. Garfield, the 20th President of the United States. 
 He is survived by his beloved wife of 46 years, Jeanne; his children and children-in-law, Jill and Paul Driscoll, David and Kathy Stanley-Brown, Peter and Beth Horan; nine grandchildren, Sarah, Emily, Christopher and David Driscoll, Chelsea Stanley-Brown, Mackenzie, Reilly, Grayson and Camden Horan; his sister Katharine Abbott; and several nieces and nephews. 
 His ashes will be buried in the Stanley-Brown family plot at the Prospect Hill Cemetery today, Dec. 3. 
 A memorial service in celebration of his life is planned for 4 p.m. on Aug. 7, 1999 at the Siasconset Union Chapel. Memorial contributions may be made to the Nantucket Atheneum.

Murry E. Stern
 Murry E. Stern of Brookline, died suddenly on Sunday, Dec. 6, 1998. 
 The son of the late Edward and Eva (Sharaf) Stern, Mr. Stern is survived by a sister, Joan Starkman Glickman and son-in-law, Marvin Glickman of Newton; a niece, Jane Starkman; nephews, Edward and Julius Starkman and many friends. He will be remembered as a world traveler, adventurer and a good friend. 
 Graveside services were held at Sharon Memorial Park, Sharon on Wednesday, Dec. 9, 1998. Memorial observance will be held through this evening, Dec. 10 at the home of Joan Starkman Glickman. 
 In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Stern's memory to friends of Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston, MA 02115 or to a charity of one's choice.

Susan J. Wall
 Susan J. Wall died Wednesday, Nov. 25, 1998 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital after a long battle with cancer. 
 Ms. Wall was born in Ontario, Canada and was raised in Boxborough, Mass. She most recently was on the staff of the Flower Shop at Marine Home Center where she worked after the sale of her interior plantscaping business in 1992. 
 She is survived by her father, Weldon Cooke of Clinton, Tenn.; her brothers Peter Cooke of Westford, Mass. and John Cooke of East Kingston, N.H. and their families; her companion Brad Fulkerson of Nantucket; and her many friends. 
 A memorial service was held yesterday, Dec. 2, at the Unitarian Church. Donations in lieu of flowers may be sent to the Rose Fund or the Marla Lamb Fund c/o the Social Services Office, Nantucket Cottage Hospital, Nantucket, MA 02584.

Waltrut von Bertrab
 Waltrut von Bertrab died on Saturday, Jan. 16, 1999. She was 93. 
 Mrs. von Bertrab, known by all as "Wally," was born in Berlin, Germany and lived the first 45 years of her life in Germany. She was married to Harry von Bertrab, who was killed in World War II. She came to the United States in July 1949 to begin a new life. She became a Licensed Practical Nurse then continued on to obtain her RN and graduated in June 1956. In 1965 she graduated from the University of Rochester in New York with a bachelor of science in public health nursing. 
 Mrs. von Bertrab worked at several hospitals prior to moving to Nantucket in 1967. She then worked at Nantucket Cottage Hospital as a maternity nurse until her retirement in 1975. At that time she established and directed the "Meals On Wheels" program here on Nantucket until her move to Sarasota, Fla. in 1979. She returned to Nantucket in 1993 where she had been active in the First Congregational Church, becoming an ordained lay minister in February 1996. 
 Mrs. von Bertrab is survived by seven nieces and nephews in Germany and by her beloved friend, Janet Wagner of Nantucket. 
 In lieu of flowers, a memorial contribution in Mrs. von Bertrab's name may be made to the First Congregational Church, Choir Robe Fund. 
 A private burial service will be held in February.

Ernest C. Walters
 Ernest C. Walters died Saturday, Jan. 2, 1999 in his Agawam home. He was 75. 
  Born in Springfield, Mr. Walters was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II and an Agawam resident for the past 60 years. He previously worked as a tool and dye maker for H.E. Dickerman Toolmakers, and earlier in tool and dye engineering for the Westinghouse Corp. as a model maker and supervisor for 18 years. He was also a 25-year supervisor at United Technologies, Bosch Auto Division, until he retired in 1980. 
 He was a life member of the Longmeadow Lodge of Masons, a member of the Connecticut Consistory, Scottish Rite Number 32, a member of the Melha Shrine Temple, Hadji Division, the American Legion Post Number 462 and New Voice Club of Springfield. His late mother, Beatrice, was from Nantucket. 
 Mr. Walters was predeceased by his wife of 45 years, Helen E. (Larson) Walters, who died in 1997. He is survived by two sons, Jeffrey B. Walters of Milwaukee, Wis. and Dana C. Walters, USN Retired of Agawam; a daughter, Karen Melloni of Agawam; a brother, Richard M. Walters of Quemado, N.M.; three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 
 A memorial service will be held privately. Memorial contributions may be made to the Agawam Permanent Firefighters Ambulance Fund, 800 Main St., Agawam, MA 01001.

Edward B. Williams Sr.
 Edward B. Williams Sr. died on Sunday, Jan. 3, 1999 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. He was 58. 
 Mr. Williams was born on Nantucket on April 6, 1940. He was the son of the late Chamberlain Williams and Julia Souza Williams. He attended Nantucket Schools and served in the 101st Airborne Infantry. He was a member of the American Legion. 
 Mr. Williams was employed by W.B. Marden Company, as a plumber, the U.S. Postal Service and worked for Tony Yates welding and gas service. 
 He was predeceased by his sister, Sally Williams McDougall. He is survived by a daughter and son-in-law, Suzanne and Doug Asplint, both of Nantucket; two sons, Edward B. Williams Jr. and Scott Williams, both of Nantucket; two grandchildren, Bobby and Shauna Asplint; and three nephews, John, Edward and Mark McDougall. 
 A memorial service was held at Lewis Funeral Home earlier this month. Memorial donations in Mr. Williams' memory may be made to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital and the Marla Lamb Fund.

Agnes McManus
 Agnes McManus, 72, of Nantucket, died Thursday, Jan. 28, 1999 following a period of failing health. She was a summer resident of Nantucket since 1953 and became a permanent resident in 1982.
Born Dec. 8, 1926 in New Rochelle, N.Y., she was the only child of Robert and Charlotte Mohor. She was a graduate of Endicott College and worked many jobs in retail, including a brief career with AAA of New York.
She spent many volunteer hours with the Ladies Auxiliary for the Knights of Columbus in Wilmington, Del. including a term as its president. She also spent many years with the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America as both a den mother and troop leader. She was a faithful volunteer at the Nantucket Cottage Hospital Thrift Shop for the last 15 years.
Mrs. McManus was an avid swimmer and dog lover. She had a fondness for nature and shared her hospitality with all.
She was a parishioner of St. Mary's Our Lady of the Isle Church on Nantucket, where she was an active participant in the local rosary group. She was a past parishioner of Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Wilmington, Del.
Mrs. McManus was predeceased by her husband of 49 years, Lt. Commander James R. McManus. Survivors include her children, Cassie Snow of Plymouth, Marcie Ahlum of Port St. Lucie, Fla., Rhett McManus of Oxford, Pa., Robin Warehime of Millersville, Md., and Paul McManus of Dover, N.H.; 11 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
A Catholic funeral mass followed by burial will be conducted at noon, Friday, Feb. 26 at St. Mary's Church in Nantucket.

Lee Pierce Mosso
 Lee Pierce Mosso, a longtime summer resident of Nantucket, died of cardiac arrest on Wednesday, Feb. 10, 1999 at her home in Stamford, Conn. She was 66.
Mrs. Mosso was born in Richmond, Va. on Sept. 19, 1932. She graduated from Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Va. For nearly 20 years, she was choir director at the Unitarian Universalist church in Stamford. She was a writer, a poet and a composer who wrote, directed and acted in many amateur productions in Virginia and Connecticut.
On Nantucket, her home was at 16 Eat Fire Springs Road. She was a summer member of the Second Congregational Meeting House Society, Unitarian Universalist. She sang in the Community Chorus and was an active participant in programs at the Maria Mitchell Association, where she led nature walks and docented at the Maria Mitchell house.
She is survived by her husband, David Mosso of Stamford; her three children, Janet Mosso-Siegel of Catonsville, Md., Andrew Mosso of New York, N.Y. and Jocelyn Williams of San Antonio, Texas; and three grandchildren.
A memorial service was held Sunday, Feb. 14 at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Stamford. Memorial donations may be sent to the Maria Mitchell Association, 2 Vestal St., Nantucket, MA 02554.

Marilyn I. Garnett
Marilyn I. Garnett of Nantucket died on Wednesday, March 24, 1999 at Cape Cod Hospital. She was 72. 
Mrs. Garnett was born on Nantucket on May 3, 1926 to George and Helen (Thurston) Studley. She was a member of the Nantucket High School class of 1945. 
She worked at Congdon and Coleman Insurance for 22 years until her retirement in 1991. After retiring she worked part-time for Congdon and Coleman Real Estate and did volunteer work at Our Island Home and the Saltmarsh Senior Center. She was also a member of St. Mary's rosary group. 
Mrs. Garnett is survived by her husband of 47 years, Jim Garnett of Nantucket; two nieces and eight nephews. 
A graveside service was held at Prospect Hill Cemetery on Sunday, March 28, 1999 with Father Lopes presiding.

Annette P. Stackpole
Annette P. Stackpole of Nantucket died Sunday, Feb. 7, 1999. She was 88.
Mrs. Stackpole was born in Ft. Kent, Maine on July 12, 1910, the daughter of Magiloire and Marie (Boutin) Paradis. She grew up in Ft. Kent and Waterville, Maine until the late 1920s when her family moved to New Bedford and eventually to Nantucket. She was the oldest of the Paradis family of 10 girls and boys.
She was a registered nurse, graduating from St. Luke's Hospital in Fall River. She worked many years at the former Cottage Hospital in Nantucket as well as years of private duty nursing. She was one of the Nantucket Public Health nurses from 1941 until 1961. She served as the alternate Island Home administrator and administrative nurse from 1961 through 1973. Following retirement she served as a Special Sheriff and Superior Court Officer.
During the 1940s Mrs. Stackpole founded Annette's Handcraft Shop, which was located at 4 Bloom St. The shop was one of the first of its kind in Nantucket where Nantucketers could display and sell their homemade goods. Annette and her husband produced homemade bread and butter pickles and jellies that were shipped all over the country.
Mrs. Stackpole was very active in the community, always helping with Red Cross blood drives, volunteering at The Hospital Thrift Shop and taking part in fundraising activities. She served on the Nantucket School Committee during the 1960s. After her retirement she continued to serve in her winter community of Leesburg, Fla.
Mrs. Stackpole is survived by sisters Germaine Tunning, Therese Woodward and Georgette Tracy, all of Nantucket; brother Patrick Paradis, also of Nantucket; children Charles G. Stackpole Jr. and wife Sharon of Nantucket, Anne Stackpole Menz and husband Jerry of Harlingen, Texas and Nantucket, John J. Stackpole and wife Joan of Nantucket, and Marie Stackpole Hayes, also of Eastham; grandchildren Scott, Lynette and Victoria Stackpole of Nantucket, Christopher Menz of St. Louis, Suzy Menz Klinck of Galesburg, Ill. and Siobhan Stackpole of Truro, Mass.; and many nieces and nephews.
She was predeceased by her husband Charles G. Stackpole Sr.
A funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Mary's Church by Father Tom Lopes on Thursday, Feb. 11 followed by interment at St. Mary's Cemetery. Pallbearers were neighbors Barry, Kevin and Nate Thurston and nephews-in-law Bob Garrabrant, Steve Albright and David Potter.
Donations in Mrs. Stackpole's memory may be made to Hospice, the Homestead, Our Island Home or the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. 

Dr. David B. Voorhees
Dr. David B. Voorhees, who served the Nantucket community for 36 years, died of a massive stroke at his home in Tom Nevers, Sunday, April 18. He was 65.
Dr. Voorhees was born in Manhattan on Dec. 4, 1933 to Donald and Marion Kellogg Brown Voorhees, who raised their son in New York. His father was the conductor of the "Bell Telephone Hour" and his mother had ties to Nantucket.
Dr. Voorhees attended the Millbrook School for Boys in New York before attending Yale University and graduating from Bates College. He received his medical degree from New York Medical College in 1961. He spent his internship and residency at Beverly Hospital in Beverly from 1961-1963.
In 1963 he moved to Nantucket and set up a general family practice from his Orange Street office. He joined the staff of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital in 1964 from which he retired in 1997. He was a former Chief of Medical Staff at the hospital and member of the Board of Trustees. At the time of his death he was a member of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital Board of Corporators. He also served the town as Coroner.
He was a member of the Nantucket School Committee for many years and held a lifelong interest in education. Later he was involved with the New School, which his daughter Kate attended.
He is survived by his daughter Kate, 12 and son Oliver, 6, both of Wellesley; and a sister Dorothy Taylor of California.
A graveside service will be conducted by the Rev. Ted Anderson at Prospect Hill Cemetery on Friday, April 23 at 11 a.m.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions be made in Dr. Voorhees memory to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. 

Bradford C. Hammond
Bradford (Brad) C. Hammond of Lakewood, Ohio and Nantucket, died on Sunday, Feb. 14, 1999. He was 83. 
Born in Buffalo, N.Y. to Mary C. and Lester Clark Hammond, he attended Cranbrook Preparatory School and the Hackley School in New York before entering MIT. He then transferred to the University of Virginia's School of Engineering and graduated with the class of 1940. After graduation Mr. Hammond joined the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to build airfields in strategic places to protect the Panama Canal during World War II. This tour of duty was followed by his enlistment in the Navy, where he spent two years in the Pacific. 
After the war, Mr. Hammond became a member of the Arthur G. McKee Engineering Company and worked on their many projects for 29 years, both in the field and as an estimator. His early retirement allowed for extensive travel and plenty of time for his avocation: reading. 
A direct descendant of Captain Archaelus Hammond of Nantucket and Governor William Bradford of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Mr. Hammond was a Nantucket visitor for 48 summers. 
He is survived by his loving wife, Phyllis (Reed) Hammond; daughter Jean and son-in-law Brian Nichols of Granville, Ohio; son William Bradford Hammond and daughter-in-law Rebecca (Cochran) of Blueridge, Ga.; grandsons Adam and Ian Nichols of Granville; cousin Marjorie Hammond Johnson of Nashua, N.H. and cousin Stanford Hammond of Rescue, Calif. 
Burial will be at a later date on Nantucket. 

Dr. Lyle E. Linville
Dr. Lyle E. Linville, of Crofton, Md., died of complications of Pott's Disease (tuberculosis of the spine) on Wednesday, April 7, 1999 at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, Md. He was 59. 
Dr. Linville vacationed with family members every summer on Nantucket since 1978 and owned a home in Madaket. He attended St. Paul's Church. 
He was born and raised in Cortland, Ohio. From 1965 to 1971 he taught at Kent State University in Ohio, from which he received a bachelor of arts degree, a master's degree and a Ph.D. He had also attended Oberlin College. He moved to Maryland from Kent in 1971 with his first wife, Twila M. Linville, who died in 1980. 
Dr. Linville was a professor of history at Prince George's Community College in Prince George's County, Md., director of the college's Humanities Resource Center and former chairman of the Department of History at PGCC. 
He founded and led the Humanities Resource Center at PGCC, which received several National Endowment for the Humanities grants and other foundation support for scholarly endeavors. These humanities programs involved internationally recognized scholars, college faculty and high school teachers from across the country. His interest in music led to the development of the Blues Festival at PGCC, which today brings thousands to the college campus each fall. 
Dr. Linville's awards included the State Board for Community College's Outstanding Teacher Award; Distinguished Humanities Educator Award, Community College Humanities Association; Eisenberg Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Humanities in Maryland, Maryland Humanities Council; and the President's Medal, PGCC. 
He is survived by his wife, E. Kathleen Linville; sister Betty June Snow of Cortland; brother A. Richard Linville of Cortland; daughter Kimberley Homer of Blacksburg, Va.; stepdaughters Laurie Zimmerman of Richland, Wash., Deborah Leach of Crofton, Md. and Ami Vermillion of Berkeley Springs, W.V.; stepsons Robert Zimmerman of Baltimore, Md., John Zimmerman of Princeton, N.J. and James Leach of Kemblesville, Pa.; and 13 grandchildren.

Ann Rae Warren
Ann Rae Warren, of Nantucket died on Friday, April 16, 1999 at Nantucket Cottage Hospital after a brief illness. She was 87. 
Born on Jan. 2, 1912 in Chicago, Mrs. Warren grew up in West Newton, Mass., attended the Brimmer and May School and graduated from Wheaton College in Norton, Mass. in 1934. She had been a summer resident of Nantucket with her family since 1942 and became a permanent resident in 1973. 
Mrs. Warren volunteered for the Florence Crittenden Home in Newton and was a regent of the Lucy Jackson chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was a member of the Abiah Folger Franklin Chapter of the DAR on Nantucket. 
She was a former member of the Nantucket Yacht Club and the Sankaty Head Golf Club, and worked at the Peter Foulger Museum, the Nantucket Atheneum and at Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands. She had been a member of the Nantucket Garden Club since 1973. 
Mrs. Warren is survived by daughter Ann W. Cunniff of Hopkins, Minn.; son-in-law Craig B. Springer of Bethesda, Md.; granddaughter Catherine Rae Springer of Burbank, Calif.; granddaughter Ann Rae Cunniff of Hopkins; grandson Michael J. Cunniff Jr. of Hopkins; sister Helen R. Stebbins of Sewickley, Pa.; sister Jean R. Haskell of Amissville, Va.; and many nieces and nephews. 
She was predeceased by her husband Frederick J. Warren in 1964 and her son Frederick J. "Fritz" Warren Jr. in 1997. 
Contributions may be made in Mrs. Warren's name to Our Island Home or to the Nantucket Cottage Hospital. A memorial service will be held at a later date.

Alexandra "Lexi" Anastos
Alexandra "Lexi" Rose Anastos, 31, died on Monday, Feb. 14, 2000. Born in Boston on Jan. 15, 1969, she was the daughter of Ethel Anastos and the late Honorable C. George Anastos, a presiding judge of the District Court of Nantucket.
Ms. Anastos grew up in Wellesley, Mass., but spent her summers on Nantucket where she was a very well known and popular member of the community, holding a variety of summer jobs. She was most familiar to everyone as a manager of the Dreamland Theatre.
She graduated from Phillips Exeter Academy in 1987, where she captained the women's soccer, squash and lacrosse teams. She graduated in 1991 from Princeton University with a bachelor's degree in history. She was a member of the Cap and Gown Club, the 1987 varsity soccer team and co-captain of the varsity squash team in 1990 and 1991, which won the National and Howe Cup championships in 1989 and 1991. She was awarded the Edward W. Hobler Squash Trophy for individual dedication and conduct, as well as the Clarence C. Chaffee Team Award for sportsmanship. Her leadership qualities and athletic abilities were always understated but very strong.
After a year of travel to many parts of the world, Ms. Anastos worked in New York City in private banking services at Morgan Stanley & Company Inc. She then attended graduate school at Northwestern's Kellogg Graduate School of Management, where she was named a John S. and Roberta T. Campbell scholar. She was also a selected member of the Admissions Committee, an elected treasurer of the Women's Business Association and a social representative of the Graduate Management Association. It was at the start of her second year that Ms. Anastos was diagnosed with brain cancer and thus began her courageous three and a half year battle against the disease. Despite the aggressive treatment and resulting sickness she was determined and able to complete her master's of management degree in June of 1999.
Rev. Joel Ives officiated at the service for Ms. Anastos on Thursday, Feb. 17 at Nantucket's St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Friends from all over the globe heard Rev. Ives and two of her many friends speak of the characteristics that made her such a unique person. She was loyal, honest, fair, loving, caring, humble, intelligent and incredibly witty. She will always be remembered as a young woman with unlimited energy and spirit who embraced life with humor and exuberance. She was a beloved daughter, treasured sister, loving aunt and devoted friend. Her too short life was filled with impressive accomplishments and unforgettable laughter.
Ms. Anastos is survived by her mother Ethel; brothers George of Belmont, Mass., Peter of Concord, Mass., Jonathan of Nantucket and Andrew of Manchester, N.H.; niece and goddaughter Alexandra; nephews Nicholas, Michael and Peter; godson Cole Price; and her many friends.
Following the burial in Prospect Hill Cemetery, a reception was held at the Jared Coffin House where friends recalled many stories of "life with Lexi."
Contributions in Ms. Anastos' memory may be made to the Massachusetts General Hospital Brain Tumor Center, 100 Blossom St., Cox Building, Suite 315, Boston, MA 02114; Nantucket Cottage Hospital, 57 Prospect St., Nantucket, MA 02554; or to the Princeton University Department of Athletics, Women's Varsity Squash, c/o Gail Ramsay, Jadwin Gymnasium, Princeton, NJ 08544.

Annette Brock Davis
Annette Brock Davis of Bridgenorth, Ontario, Siesta Key, Fla., and a Nantucket summer resident since 1956, died on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2000.
An artist, writer, merchant seaman and renaissance woman, Mrs. Davis was born in Montreal in 1909. After attending navigation school, she became the first woman in the British Empire to circumnavigate the globe as a crew member aboard a four-masted sailing vessel, at age 24. She was a full-fledged member of the Association Internationale Cap Horniers de St. Malo.
Later in life, Mrs. Davis became an accomplished painter and author, and was an active prize-winning member of the Artists' Association of Nantucket. In her 90th year, on the publication of her memoir "My Year Before the Mast," she received worldwide celebrity.
She is survived by daughter Gale Natali and grandson Vincenzo Natali; son Peter Davis and grandchildren Alan, Josephine and Levina Davis of Tokyo; and many friends.
A memorial service will be held in Toronto at a later date.

Victor J. Ferrantella
 Victor J. Ferrantella, longtime Nantucket resident, died at his home on Gray Avenue on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2000. He was 83.
Born in Marion, Ill. on Oct. 16, 1916, he was the son of Antonina Corda and Nicolo Ferrantella. He married Frances Wreden on April 9, 1944 and came to Nantucket during World War II while serving in the U.S. Coast Guard.
Mr. Ferrantella later worked for the Wannacomet Water Company and at the airport, and retired in 1987. He was an honorary member of the Nantucket Anglers' Club, a charter member of the Miacomet Golf Club, an active member and past commander of the American Legion Post #0082, and a member of the 40/8 Post #1092. His hobbies included fishing and golfing, and was known for his love of people and his family.
Mr. Ferrantella is survived by his wife of 55 years, Frances Ferrantella; sons Nicholas and Bruce Ferrantella; daughter-in-law Linda Ferrantella; and grandsons Victor and Ben Ferrantella, all of Nantucket. He is also survived by two sisters, a brother, and many nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his sisters, Ann and Rose, and brother Ben.
A wake will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1 at the Lewis Funeral Home. Burial will take place at Prospect Hill Cemetery at 10 a.m. on Thursday, March 2. Donations in Mr. Ferrantella's name may be made to the Anglers' Club Scholarship Fund or to the Nantucket High School Scholarship Fund.

Arthur "Max" Murray
Colonel Arthur Maxwell "Max" Murray died on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2000. He was 86.
Born on July 27, 1913 in San Francisco, Calif., Col. Murray was the son of General Maxwell and Phyllis Murray. He was the fifth generation to graduate from West Point (Class of 1938), and spent the next 30 years in the United States Army. He served in the South Pacific during World War II and also in the Korean War.
Col. Murray first came to Nantucket in 1919, and spent many summers on the island. He moved to Nantucket in 1971 after he retired, and became active in the Civic League and the Conservation Foundation. He was also an avid fisherman and repaired clocks for many friends.
He is survived by his wife Claire; his three sons Rick, John and Conger; and his daughter Phyllis Jones.

Charles A. Watts
Charles "Charlie" Alfred Watts died on Saturday, Feb. 19, 2000 at his home on Nantucket after a long illness. He was 68.
Born on Nantucket on March 22, 1931, Mr. Watts attended Nantucket Public Schools and was a member of the Boy Scouts of America. Prior to graduation he enlisted in the Navy and served on a destroyer in the Pacific Ocean.
During his life, Mr. Watts lived in the Boston area as well as in Florida, although he always called Nantucket home. A call firefighter for the Nantucket Fire Department, he was also a member of the International Order of Oddfellows, the Nantucket Angler's Club and the Masons. While on Nantucket he was employed by David Watts Heating Inc., Nantucket Heat, Bill Fisher's Tackle, A-1 Taxi and Cape Air.
Family and friends will remember Mr. Watts for his quick wit, sense of humor, big heart and willingness to lend a hand to those in need. He was an accomplished trumpet player and a connoisseur of after-shave lotions. He most enjoyed fishing, building models of Spitfire fighter airplanes, and spending time with his grandchildren.
Mr. Watts is survived by his wife Joan; his 10 children, Charles Jr., James, Steven and Kenneth Watts, Patricia Lenahan, Susan Benci, Cynthia Walker, Judy Figueireto, Anne Marie Mills and Tina Watts; his stepchildren Roy McVicar and Lynn Robinson; his stepmother Priscilla Watts; his stepfather Anthony Sylvia; his brother- and sister-in-law Bruce and Wendy Watts; his sister Melodie Day of Nantucket; as well as several grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.
He was predeceased by his father James Alfred Watts, his mother Dorothy Blount Sylvia, and his brother David James Watts.
A graveside service and burial was held on Tuesday, Feb. 22 at the Prospect Hill Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made in Mr. Watts' memory to the Nantucket Angler's Club or the American Lung Association.