Miscellaneous Bristol County, Massachusetts Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Sarah E. Marsh
NEW BEDFORD -- Sarah E. "Sadie" (Ratcliffe) Marsh, 89, died Monday, July 22, 1996, after a long illness. She was the widow of Edric "Eddie" Marsh and daughter of the late Joseph W. and Catherine M. (Holcroft) Ratcliffe.
She died at The Oaks Nursing Home in New Bedford.
Mrs. Marsh was born in New Bedford and lived in the city all of her life. She was a communicant of St. Mary's Church in New Bedford.
She was well known for her crocheting skills and she created a variety of unique doll clothes to the delight of the youngsters in her family.
Survivors include a daughter, Arlene Cordova of Denver; four brothers, George Ratcliffe of Wilder, Vt.; John J. Ratcliffe of Dedham; William E. Ratcliffe of Acushnet and James D. Ratcliffe of Cocoa, Fla.; four grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
She was the sister of the late Rita Ratcliffe.
Arrangements are by the Austin-Carney Funeral Home, 549 County St., New Bedford.

Preston H. Hood Jr.
SOMERSET -- Preston H. Hood Jr., 78, a ninth-generation descendant of Roger Williams and a well-known Fall River-area lawyer and civic leader, died Sunday, July 21, 1996, at Newport Hospital in Rhode Island.
Born in Fall River, Mr. Hood was the husband of Marilyn (Mendillo) Vachon Hood and was the son of the late Preston H. and Ruth (Williams) Hood Sr.
A resident of Somerset for much of his life, Mr. Hood attended schools there until 1935, when he transferred to Mercersberg Academy in Mercersberg, Pa. After graduating in 1937, he went on to Brown University in Providence, where he was a 1941 graduate and member of the wrestling team.
In 1947, he graduated from the Boston University Law School and was admitted to the Massachusetts Bar the following year.
His law practice began with Lincoln & Hood and continued with his father in the firm of Hood & Hood, until the elder Mr. Hood's death in 1980. He continued in his own practice, under the same firm name, until retiring earlier this year.
Until 1955, Mr. Hood also managed A.H. Hood and Company Insurance, a business that originally had been his grandfather's. In 1960, he became a licensed real estate broker operating under the name of Hood Realty.
In 1947, he was named a director, then three years later, clerk of the board of the Fall River People's Cooperative Bank, now the Bank of Fall River, and at the time of his death, was senior vice chairman.
A Swansea resident for six years, he served on that town's School Committee as its chairman and was also a volunteer firefighter in the community. He was a member of the Church of Our Saviour in Somerset.
He was a World War II Navy veteran.
Survivors include his widow; a son, Preston H. Hood III of Patten, Me.; two daughters, Dianna "Donnie" McGee of Somerset, and Marsha Hood of Rehoboth; three stepsons, Christopher Vachon and Stephen Vachon, both of Somerset, and Robert Vachon of Portland, Ore.; a brother, Roger W. Hood of Somerset; 10 grandchildren; and several nephews.
He was also the brother of the late Phyllis E. Hood.
Arrangements are by the Hathaway Community Home for Funerals, 900 Buffinton St., Somerset.

Bertha Gervais
FALL RIVER -- Bertha Gervais, 98, of Fall River, died July 23, 1996, after a long illness. She was the daughter of the late Louis and Anna (Turcotte) Gervais.
Born in Fall River, she was a school teacher for many years at St. Anne's School, where she began her career in 1923. She also taught for many years at the Dominican Academy.
After her retirement, she resided at the Dominican Convent, where she also served as a receptionist for many years.
Miss Gervais was one of the first recipients of the Marion Medal in 1972.
Miss Gervais was a member of the Third Order of St. Dominic and also a member of the Children of Mary, both of St. Anne's Parish.
Survivors include several cousins.

Rita D. Cordery
MARGATE, Fla. -- Rita Dwelly Cordery, 81, of Margate, died Sunday, June 30, 1996, after a short illness. The widow of Henry Cordery, she was born and raised in Fairhaven, Mass.
Survivors include her daughters, Louise York and Marion Robinson, both of Miami; two sisters, Marion Roderick of Conway, N.H., and Isabelle Cornell of New Bedford; three grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
She was the mother of the late Harriett Cordery and sister of the late Joseph Dwelly, George Dwelly and Fannie Wittwer.
Arrangements were in Florida.

Hazel Buchanan
BROCKTON -- Hazel Simpson Buchanan, 89, formerly of Onset, died Tuesday, July 23, 1996, at the Woodridge House Nursing Home after a period of failing health. She was the widow William R. Buchanan and daughter of the late Thomas Percy and the late Emma Howard.
Born and educated in New Bedford, she was an Onset resident since 1967, having previously lived in Brockton and Easton.
She worked as a real estate agent for Upper Cape Realty in Wareham and was a member of the Buzzards Bay Bowling League and an avid golfer.
She was a former member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Brockton.
Survivors include six grandchildren and many great-grandchildren. She also was the mother of the late William R. Buchanan Jr. and the late David H. Buchanan.
Arrangements are by the J. Frank Conley Funeral Home, 138 Belmont St., Brockton.

Bill Marlowe, at 71
BOSTON -- William Marlowe, the "velvet-voiced" disk jockey who chose Frank Sinatra over rock 'n' roll, has died of cancer. He was 71.
Mr. Marlowe died early Sunday morning at Massachusetts General Hospital after a long battle with the disease, said his manager, Paul Newman Schlossberg.
Mr. Marlowe was renowned for his musical knowledge and devotion to artists like Sinatra, Count Basie, Stan Kenton, Dinah Washington and Sarah Vaughn. He also was friends with many of them.
"Bill was to broadcasting what the Rat Pack was to style," said Ron Della Chiesa of WGBH-FM, who listened to Mr. Marlowe while in high school. "He had one of the mellifluous and beautiful voices ever in radio. He could seduce you on air with his voice."
Mr. Marlowe's colleagues said he used that voice "much as a musician would do a jazz solo." In his later years, he did voiceover work for radio commercials.
Mr. Marlowe's early career included a stint at WORL-AM.
"It was the station to be on," said Jerry Williams of WRKO-AM, who knew Mr. Marlowe for more than 40 years. "It was only the guys who played the best music and would not give up on it."
In the 1950s, Mr. Marlowe took a stand against the newest form of popular music -- rock 'n' roll -- and refused to budge at the expense of his career, Mr. Williams said. That independent streak sent him up and down the radio dial during his career.
"He gave up I don't know how many opportunities to stick with his art," Mr. Williams said.
Mr. Marlowe continued playing Sinatra for 50 years, most recently for four hours every Saturday on WRCA-AM.
"He made the good music meaningful to people," Mr. Schlossberg said. "There will be nobody to fill his shoes."
Mr. Marlowe's friends recalled his love of good clothes, good food, golf and horse racing.
"(He was) an embodiment on radio of the Sinatra swinging style," Mr. Della Chiesa said.
Mr. Marlowe is survived by his fiancee Helen Spaneas, three daughters and five grandchildren.

Estelle C. Moriarty
LITTLE COMPTON, R.I. -- Estelle C. Moriarty, 69, of Main Street, Adamsville, died Tuesday, July 23, 1996, at St. Anne's Hospital in Fall River. She was the wife of Thomas C. Moriarty and daughter of the late Edward and Blanche (Poirier) Richard.
Mrs. Moriarty had been a resident of Westport before moving to Adamsville 18 years ago.
Born in Cambridge, Mass., Mrs. Moriarty was a member of the Adamsville Historical Society.
Survivors include her husband; three sons, Thomas C. Moriarty Jr. of Westport, Terence W. Moriarty of Assonet and Edward J. Moriarty of Little Compton; two daughters, Maryjane Gregoire of New Bedford and Paula E. Medeiros of Loveland, Colo.; one sister, Dorothy Sibor of Fairhaven and seven grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements are by the Fern Acres Funeral Home, 72 Willow Ave., Little Compton.

Arthur C. Chase
NEW BEDFORD -- Arthur Clifton Chase, 87, died Tuesday, July 23, 1996. He was the husband of Alice S. (Bowman) Chase and the son of the late John W. and Annie (Littlewood) Chase.
He died at the Bedford Village Nursing Home.
He was born in Dartmouth and lived all of his life in the Greater New Bedford area.
He was employed by the Rothwell Foundry in Swansea as a steelworker until his retirement.
Mr. Chase was well-known for his friendly personality and enjoyed walking, animals and bingo.
He and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Jan. 1, 1992.
Survivors include his widow; a brother, John N. Chase of New Bedford; and several nieces and nephews.
Arrangements are by the Donaghy Funeral Home, 465 County St.

Norman G. Maheu
NEW BEDFORD -- Norman G. Maheu, 84, died Tuesday, July 23, 1996, at St. Luke's Hospital following a long illness. He was the son of the late Ludger and Aldora (Lapointe) Maheu.
A lifelong resident of the city, Mr. Maheu was an optometrist and maintained an office on Acushnet Avenue.
Mr. Maheu was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church.
Survivors include several nieces and nephews.
Arrangments are by Rock Funeral Home, 1285 Ashley Blvd.

Mary E. Rice
NEW BEDFORD -- Services were held Wednesday for Mary Eva Rice, 83, who died Sunday, July 21, 1996.
She was the daughter of the late Cortes and Helen (Leet) Rice.
Born in Lowell, Ms. Rice lived in Fairhaven for 20 years before entering Hathaway Manor in New Bedford six years ago. She died at Hathaway Manor.
She is survived by several cousins.
Arrangements were by the Fairhaven Funeral Home, 117 Main St., Fairhaven.

T. Clark Hull
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- T. Clark Hull, a flamboyant politician and Harvard educated jurist known for a keen intellect that was often overshadowed by an impish sense of humor, died yesterday. He was 75.
Mr. Hull, a Republican from Danbury, was one of Connecticut's most colorful politicians, serving as a state senator, lieutenant governor and on various task force panels examining ways to make government more efficient.
Mr. Hull, who received a bachelor's degree from Yale University and a law degree from Harvard University, was a justice on the state Supreme Court from 1987 to 1991.
"People remember him as having a great sense of humor; and being very jocular and very ribald at times masked a very broad and penetrating intellect," Supreme Court Justice David M. Borden, who served with Mr. Hull on the Appellate Court and the state's highest court.
Mr. Hull died at Yale-New Haven Hospital from complications after heart surgery. He underwent surgery last week and was released Tuesday -- only to be readmitted that night because of complications, said his son, Steven Hull.
Hull, a liberal Republican, was lieutenant governor from 1971 to 1973, serving under Gov. Thomas J. Meskill, who always seemed to be looking over his shoulder to keep tabs on Hull.
One time, Meskill was returning to Connecticut in a twin-engine plane and one of the engines went out, forcing a landing in Maryland. Hull, hearing the news, joked to reporters that Meskill should start flying in single-engine planes.
Hull also used to quip that if he were governor, he would launch an invasion against Massachusetts to reclaim a notch of land along the northern border of Connecticut. But then, he would quickly add, he didn't know what Connecticut would want with it if it were captured.
But it was no joke that Hull deeply wanted to run for governor, a campaign he never seemed to get the chance to wage.
"Someone was always in his way," said Charles F.J. Morse, a retired political columnist from The Hartford Courant.
"He was one of the joyful spirits of government," Morse said. "He expressed great admiration and respect for it. ... Unfortunately, he was considered a joker by many people, and they missed the point. He was a free spirit."
Hull was a state senator from 1963 until he was elected lieutenant governor in the 1970 on Meskill's ticket. Two years later, Meskill named Hull a judge on the Superior Court.
When he was named a Supreme Court justice in 1987, Hull harkened back to his days at the Capitol, which is across the street from the Supreme Court building.
"My career has become almost full circle," he said. "I left the Capitol on June 1, 1973, and now I am back in this magnificent Supreme Court building where I can keep an eye on my friends across the street."
Chief Justice Ellen Ash Peters said of Hull: "In his judicial career, on which he embarked in 1973, he was an eloquent spokesman for the improvement of every aspect of our state judiciary, whether the issue was procedural reform or legal ethics or the protection of human rights.
"A gifted writer and a captivating speaker, Justice Hull brought to each of his assignments the breadth of vision of an avid historian and the high aspirations of an optimistic activist," Peters said.
In the last year of his life, Hull was writing his memoirs, which he had called, "The Distant Trumpet."
He told the Danbury News-Times newspaper in an interview last year about the genesis of that title.
In 1961, he considered running for state Senate despite the opposition of his wife, B.J., who worried about the toll it would have on their family. She suggested he wait until he could win the nomination by acclamation.
"B.J. said, `Why don't you run for office when a crowd of people comes up the street with banners, drums, trumpets and flares and people are yelling, `We want Hull! We want Hull!"' he recalled.
"When I was speaking throughout the state as a senator and lieutenant governor, I told scores of audiences about this, and I said that on many a warm summer evening, I sat on our front lawn listening for that distant trumpet, but it never blows," he said. "It must blow within you."
Born June 14, 1921, in Danbury, Hull leaves his wife, the former Betty Jane Rosoff of Danbury, and three sons, T. Clark Hull III of Toronto, Jonathan C. Hull of Newtown and Steven D. Hull of Chevy Chase, Md. He also is survived by a twin sister, Louise Hull of New Hartford.
The wake is Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the Green Funeral Home in Danbury. The funeral is scheduled at 11 a.m. Saturday at the First Congregational Church in Danbury.

Charles H. Caires
MATTAPOISETT -- Charles H. Caires, 73, died at home Thursday, July 25, 1996, after a long illness. He was the husband of Rita (Costello) Caires and son of the late William and Olive (Drugan) Caires.
Born in Boston, he lived there for many years. He lived in Wareham before moving to Mattapoisett 28 years ago.
Mr. Caires was a concrete salesman, working for Campanella & Cardi for 25 years and Lawrence Ready Mix in New Bedford for seven years. He retired in 1992.
He was a World War II Navy veteran.
Survivors include his widow; three daughters, Joy Holt of Arizona, Jayne Tropiano of New York and Julie Besse of Connecticut; a brother, Arthur Caires of California; nine grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.
Arrangements are by the Stott, Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, 2599 Cranberry Highway, Wareham.

Lidia C. Fernandes-Catulo
NEW BEDFORD -- Lidia Calva Fernandes-Catulo, 84, died at home Thursday, July 25, 1996, after a brief illness. She was the widow of Jose Catulo and daughter of the late Conceicao (Calva) and Antonio Fernandes Camarao.
Born in Cova, Figueira da Foz, Portugal, she lived in New Bedford for seven years. She was a member of the First Portuguese Baptist Church.
Survivors include a son, Manuel Catulo of North Dartmouth; a daughter, Alzira Rosa of New Bedford; a brother, Antonio Camarao of Portugal; a sister, Conceicao Lebre of Portugal; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Arrangements are by the Perry Funeral Home, 111 Dartmouth St.

Chester A. Smith Jr.
WAREHAM -- Chester A. Smith Jr., 71, died Wednesday, July 24, 1996, after a brief illness. He was the husband of Helen R. (McGrail) Smith and son of the late Lillian (Newman) and Chester A. Smith Sr.
He died at the University Hospital in Boston.
Born in Brockton, he lived in Whitman until 1976, when he moved to Wareham. He was employed as a manager of transmission engineering for NYNEX for 33 years, working in Boston and Framingham. He retired in 1984.
Mr. Smith was a World War II Navy veteran, serving in the Pacific Theater of Operations. He was discharged in 1945 as sonarman, 2nd class.
He graduated from Brockton High School and attended Franklin Institute in Boston.
Survivors include his widow; a daughter, Pamela Montagano of Wareham; two sons, Stephen C. Smith of Mansfield and Mark A. Smith of Wareham; two brothers, Frederick W. Smith of Hernando, Fla., and Wareham, and Bradford L. Smith of Marstons Mills and seven grandchildren.
Arrangements are by the Stott, Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, 2599 Cranberry Highway.

George E. Magnan
WORCESTER -- George H. Magnan, 84, of Outlook Drive, died Wednesday, July 24, 1996, after a brief illness. He was the husband of Viola (Benoit) Magnan and son of the late Joseph and Agnes (Charbonneau) Magnan.
He died at Providence Extended Care Nursing Home.
Born in Taunton, he lived in Worcester for most of his life. He was a member of St. Charles Borromeo Church and employed by Gay Chrome Co. as a machinist until his retirement in 1970.
Mr. Magnan was a World War II Navy veteran. He was a member of the American Legion Post and Knights of Columbus Council 88.
Survivors include his widow; two daughters, Joan V. Dziuba of North Port, Fla., formerly of New Bedford, and Claire R. Fountaine of Millbury; a brother, Norman Magnan of Worcester; six grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
Arrangements are by the Alfred Roy & Sons Funeral Home, 12 Hammond St.

Pauline Carter
NEW BEDFORD -- Pauline (Sommers) Carter, 70, died Thursday, July 25, 1996, after a brief illness. She was the widow of Herbert Carter and daughter of the late William and Catherine Sommers.
She died at Our Lady's Haven Nursing Home in Fairhaven.
Mrs. Carter was a lifelong resident of New Bedford and a communicant of St. Mary Church. She was a homemaker.
In her leisure time, she enjoyed knitting.
Survivors include a daughter, Dianne Rivet of New Bedford; two sons, Michael J.H. Carter and Brian D. Carter, both of New Bedford; two grandchildren and two nephews.
She was also the sister of the late William Sommers and George Sommers.
Arrangements are by the Rock Funeral Home, 1285 Ashley Blvd.

Kenneth Straus
NEW YORK -- Kenneth Hollister Straus, the last of the Straus family to be a top executive of R.H. Macy & Co., has died.
Mr. Straus died at Roosevelt Hospital on Wednesday at the age of 71. His death followed a brief illness, his family said.
The Straus family headed the New York department store chain from soon after its founding in 1858, when Lazarus Straus, an immigrant from Germany, became a partner with Rowland Hussey Macy.
The family remained at the helm until 1968, when Mr. Straus' father, Jack I. Straus, gave up his position as chairman and chief executive of Macy's.

Robert C. Petitpas
NEW BEDFORD -- Robert "Bob" C. Petitpas, 48, of County Street, died Thursday, July 26, 1996, at St. Luke's Hospital after being stricken at work.
He was the husband of Elaine H. (Cordeiro) Petitpas.
Born in Waterbury, Conn., the son of Yvon Petitpas of Hartford, Conn., and Gloria (Napolitano) Spagna of Broadbrook, Conn., he had been a resident of New Bedford for 30 years.
He was a Vietnam War Coast Guard veteran, receiving the National Defense Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze Stars, the Vietnam Campaign Medal with Device and the Navy Unit Commendation Medal.
He was also an avid amateur radio operator with WA1-ZXG as his call letters.
Besides his wife and parents, he is survived by five sons, Robert C. Petitpas Jr. and Lance A. Petitpas, both of Jacksonville, Fla., and Brian S. Petitpas, Erik A. Petitpas, and Justin J. Petitpas, all of New Bedford; three daughters, Tara J. Gebo, Christine A. Barksdale and Lori M. Petitpas, all of New Bedford; two sisters, Judy Lankford of Texas City, Texas, and Barbara Deni of Enfield, Conn.; and eight grandchildren, two nieces and three nephews.
Arrangements are by the Dartmouth Funeral Home, 230 Russells Mills Road, Dartmouth.

Mary L. Morris
NEW BEDFORD -- Mary L. Morris, who was a member of numerous Fairhaven associations and was named Citizen of the Year three years ago, died unexpectedly on Friday, July 26, 1996.
She was the wife of Benson Morris Jr. and daughter of the late Charles E. and Gertrude P. (Chapman) Durrigan.
Mrs. Morris, 73, of Cherry Street in Fairhaven, died at St. Luke's Hospital in New Bedford.
Fairhaven Selectman Robert Hamilton remembered Mrs. Morris as a unique person who was respected by everyone.
"She was a person who exemplifies community service and love of her town and her school," he said. "This was her town, this was her life and she was a person who spoke very eloquently and understood the value of friendship and citizenship. And she had a wonderful sense of Irish humor. She had that Irish wit and twinkle in her eye.
"She's that kind of person that comes along very rarely in life."
Mrs. Morris was a member of the Fairhaven Historical Society, the Fairhaven Development Council, a member and former president of the Fairhaven Colonial Club and the Fairhaven Mother's Club, chairwoman of the House Committee, former board member of the New Bedford Mental Health Institute, and a member of the Fairhaven Improvement Association for more than 40 years. Mrs. Morris was probably best known for being an outspoken member of the Fairhaven Town Meeting for more than 40 years. "Invariably, she would get up and speak on an issue," Mr. Hamilton said, "and she would always talk about it intelligently." In 1993, she received the Citizen of the Year Award from the Fairhaven Improvement Association. Upon honoring Mrs. Morris, many town residents and officials praised her efforts and dedication, Mr. Hamilton said. "That's one of the times I realized how significant her life was," he said. Mrs. Morris also served on the One Hundred Fifty Celebration Committee of Fairhaven in 1962.
She was employed for more than 10 years as a receptionist by the former office of Dr. William Downey, and then worked as the team coordinator for the Bristol County Development Council before retiring in 1987.
Though she battled arthritis the past few years, Mrs. Morris maintained her energy and was full of life, Mr. Hamilton said. "She was a person you could depend on. If you called Mary, you knew it would get done."
She was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church in Fairhaven, where she also was a member of the church's Couples Club. Born in Providence, she moved to town when she was 3 years old, and was active in the Fairhaven Girl Scouts and the Boy Scout movement. A 1941 graduate of Fairhaven High School, she also was a member of the school's Alumni Association. Survivors include her husband; two sons, Benson "Butch" C. Morris of Rehoboth and R. Scott Morris of Fairhaven; one daughter, Deborah Jane Morris of Temple Hill, Md.; eight grandchildren, one great-granddaughter; and several nieces and nephews. Arrangements are by the Fairlawn Mortuary, 180 Washington St., Fairhaven.

Norman F. Breault
ORLANDO -- Norman F. Breault, 48, died unexpectedly, Monday, July 22, 1996. He was the son of the late Madolin (Horne) Duarte and stepson of the late John R. Duarte.
He died in Orlando.
He was born in Portland, Maine, and lived in Rochester until he entered the Navy.
He was employed by Universal Studios in Florida.
Mr. Breault was a graduate of Old Rochester Regional High School. He was also a 20-year Navy veteran, serving in Vietnam and obtaining the rank of chief petty officer.
Survivors include a son, Peter R. Breault of New Bedford; a daughter, Christy L. Breault of New Bedford; a brother, Richard Libby; and a sister, Madoline "Joanne" Ring.
Arrangements are by the Boulevard Funeral Home, 223 Ashley Blvd.

Ildo J. Neves
NEW BEDFORD -- Ildo J. Neves, 68, of Deane Street, died unexpectedly at home Wednesday, July 24, 1996. He was the son of the late Joaquim and Maria Zulmira (Martins) Neves.
Born in Angustias, Horta, Faial, Azores, he lived in New Bedford for 27 years. He was a communicant of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception Chruch and was employed by local landscaping companies as a laborer until his retirement in 1990.
Survivors include a brother, Salvador "Sal" Neves of Warwick, R.I.; a sister, Maria F. DaCosta of New Bedford; an aunt and two nieces and two nephews.
Arrangements are by the Cabral-Baylies Square Funeral Home, 512 N. Front St.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: