Ness County, Kansas


Click HERE to also search the Kansas Obituary and Death Notice Archive
First Name:
Last Name:

The following obituaries are of the deceased buried in Ransom Cemetery, St. Aloysius Catholic Cemetery, and Cyrus Cemetery, Ransom, Ness County, Kansas. These obituaries and news articles were collected and contributed by Mark Horchem.

 Last Sunday evening the festivities of marriage were terminated by the tragedy of death.  At the residence of J.B. Mast, in Nevada Township, where the wedding dinner in honor of A.J. Mast and Laura Burkhalter had received attention of the guests, and all were enjoying themselves as is usual upon such occasion, a bolt from the clouds struck the house, following a stove pipe to the interior, killing a young lady, Miss Eash, and seriously injuring one or two others, including the bride. 

Ness Co. News, Aug. 9, 1890
(Sunday = Aug. 3, 1890)


 Charles Eifert was born in Schwartz, Oberhessen, Germany, on October 31, 1866, and passed away on July 15, 1951, at the age of 84 years, 8 months and 15 days.
 He was the youngest of a family of seven, five brothers and one sister, all of whom preceded him in death.
 His sister, Mrs. Leonard Noll, resided at Geneseo, Kansas, in 1886, when Charles first came to America.  He made his home with her and her husband for a short time.
 Mr. Eifert never married and spent much time visiting relatives around Ransom.  He was a cheerful person, and a friend of everyone, a thorough student of world conditions and was affectionately called “uncle” by many of the residents of Ness County.
 He studied the catechism of the Lutheran Church and became a member of the Evangelistical Lutheran Church at the age of 14.  He often quoted scripture learned in that period of his youth.
 He loved the Pacific Northwest, and at one time homesteaded 80 acres of virgin pine, which he afterwards sold to a lumber company.  During his early manhood, he spent many years in Everett, Wash., in charge of the city utilities of that young city.
 In 1909 he toured Europe and always remembered that as a bright, happy period of his life.
 In 1912 he homesteaded 240 acres in Montana near Winifred.  This land he sold several years ago, and has since made his home at Kalispel, Mont.
 He leaves to mourn his passing the following relatives in the States:  His nieces, Mrs. Mary Miek, Mrs. Elizabeth Tilley of Ransom; his nephews, Leonard Noll of Ransom, Charles Noll, Reinhardt Noll and John Noll of Waukegan, Ill.; seven great-nieces, five great-nephews, 16 great-great-nieces and nephews, and a host of friends.
 Funeral services were held from the First Mennonite Church of Ransom on Friday, July 20, with Rev. Dennis Smith in charge.  Interment was in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, July 26, 1951


 Anna Leola, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Eisenhour, of Nevada Township, died Sunday, August 20, 1899, and was buried the following day in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Aug. 26, 1899
(buried unknown location-no information in cemetery records) 


 Doyle C. Eisenhour, 48, brother of J.L. Eisenhour of Ness City, died Saturday morning, January 14, at the hospital in Hays of an apparent heart attack.  He had been ill only one day.
 He was born June 15, 1918, in Ness County, and had lived in LaCrosse for the past 20 years.  He was an agent and telegrapher for the MOP Railroad.
 He married Helen Wriston July 7, 1944.
 He was a World War II veteran.  He was a member of the VFW and American Legion, Masonic Lodge and EUB Church, all at LaCrosse.
 Survivors include:  The widow; two sons,, Mark and James of LaCrosse; three brothers, Jett of Ness City, Glenn and Harley of McCracken; one grandson.
 Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, January 17, at LaCrosse, and interment was in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Jan. 19, 1967


 Wo1c James D. Eisenhour, 22, of LaCrosse, nephew of J.L. Eisenhour of Ness City, was reported killed in action on Sunday, August 18.
 According to the meager information received by relatives at LaCrosse early Tuesday, Eisenhour apparently had been shot while on duty.  He was a helicopter operator, and the machine did not crash or burn, according to word available early Wednesday.
 Eisenhour attended Fort Hays State College before entering service.
 Survivors include the widow, the former Catherine Pivonka, and 2-year-old daughter of LaCrosse; his mother, Mrs. Helen Eisenhour of LaCrosse; and a brother, Mark, now serving in the navy.

Ness Co. News, Aug. 22, 1968


 John C. Eisenhour, 82, a resident of Ness County for some 70 years, passed away at the LaCrosse Hospital on Tuesday, January 11.  He had been in poor health for some time, and had spent the last four months of his life in the hospital.
 He came to Ness County with his parents when he was 12 years old, and had spent the greater part of his life since, as a resident of the Ransom community.  He farmed in that community for many years, retiring some years ago to make his home in Ransom.  Mrs. Eisenhour passed away in September of 1952, after the couple had moved to McCracken to make their home.
 Survivors are four sons:  J.L. Eisenhour of Ness City; Glen Eisenhour of McCracken, Harley Eisenhour of Scott City, and Doyle Eisenhour of LaCrosse; other relatives and friends.
 Funeral services will be held from the Ransom Methodist Church this afternoon, Thursday, January 13, at 2:00 o’clock.  Interment will be in the family plot at the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Jan. 13, 1955


 Mrs. John C. Eisenhour, 74, a near life-long resident of the Ransom community, passed away at the LaCrosse Hospital on Thursday, September 25, 1952.
  Born in Indiana, the deceased came to Ness County with her family at the age of one year, and with the exception of four years had spent her entire life in that community.
 Survivors include the husband, John C. Eisenhour; four sons, J.L. Eisenhour of Ness City, Glenn Eisenhour of McCracken, Harley Eisenhour of Scott City, and Doyle Eisenhour of LaCrosse; a sister, Mrs. Albert Brock of Ransom; two brothers, C.O. Douglas of Athens, Tenn., and O.W. Douglas of Anderson, Ind., and other relatives.
 Funeral services were conducted from the Ransom Methodist Church on Saturday afternoon, September 27, with Rev. L.G. Snyder, pastor, in charge.  Interment was in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Oct. 2, 1952


 Maude Idell Douglas was born near Salem, Ind., May 4, 1878, and departed this life September 25, 1952, at the LaCrosse Hospital. 
 She came with her parents to Ness County, Kansas, when one year old.  All of her life was spent near Ransom, except for the three years in Pocatello, Idaho, and the past year and one-half at McCracken, Kansas.
 She was united in marriage on October 19, 1899, to John C. Eisenhour.  To this union were born four sons:  Jettie of Ness City, Glenn of McCracken, Harley of Scott City, and Doyle of LaCrosse.
 She was a faithful member of the Methodist Church of Ransom for 30 years; always interested in the better things in life.  She was a faithful wife and mother, a good neighbor and friend to all, always interested in any cause that would make a better community.
 She leaves to mourn her passing, her husband; the four sons; eight grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Albert Brock; two brothers, C.O. Douglas of Athens, Tenn., and O.W. Douglas of Anderson, Ind.; nieces and nephews; other relatives; and many friends.
 Funeral services were conducted from the Ransom Methodist Church Saturday afternoon, September 27, at 3:30, with Rev. L.G. Snyder in charge.  Burial was in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Oct. 2, 1952

 Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Methodist Church in Ransom for Mrs. John Eisenhour.  Interment was in the Ransom Cemetery.  Mrs. Eisenhour had lived for many years in the Ransom community, but has spent the past two and one-half years in McCracken.

Ness Co. News, Oct. 2, 1952

 A son, given the name of Darold Duane, and weighing 2 1/2 pounds, was born Saturday night to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Elliott at the Wisehart home.  The baby passed away Tuesday evening at 3 days of age.

Saturday = November 26, 1932
Tuesday = November 29, 1932

Ransom Record, December 2, 1932
(Darold Elliott was moved to the Great Bend Cemetery in 1998)


 Bertha Lawrence Ellis was born in Illinois, January 23, 1871, and died at Boise, Idaho, May 17, 1946, at the age of 75 years, 3 months, and 25 days.  For several years she operated a millinery store.
 She was married to Stephen R. Ellis and they moved to a ranch near Modoc, Kansas, later buying a farm in Trego County, eight miles north of Ransom, where they lived several years.  Mr. Ellis passed away in 1928.  Mrs. Ellis lived on the place for a while then her nephew, Ray Smith, persuaded her to rent the place and move to Boise, Idaho, with him and his wife.  So with the exception of a little over a year she has spent the remainder of her life in Boise.
 Seven years ago she lived on her farm and with the Pete Rauch family a year.
 She leaves to mourn her death, a niece, Mrs. Frances Gordon of Texas, and her nephew, Roy Smith of New Meadows, Idaho, who accompanied her body to Ransom for burial.
 Graveside services were held Wednesday afternoon, at 2:30.  Pall bearers were:  Pete and Will Rauch, Pink Patton, Fred Amstutz, and David Kraft.  John Aeby had charge of the services.

Ness Co. News, May 30, 1946


 Stephen Reynold Ellis was born at Canton, Illinois, April 14, 1862 and departed this life November 18, 1928 at his home at the age of 66 years, 6 months and 4 days.
 He was an only child.  His father and mother have both predeceased him.  He had no children.  His first wife died and in 1902 he remarried to Bertha Lawrence who is left to mourn his untimely death.  The only other living relatives are two aunts now living in Illinois.

Ransom Record, November 22, 1928


 Appolonia Primer was born in Enterprise, Ohio, February 11, 1833, and died at the home of her son James Engle of Ransom, Sunday evening, July 12, 1913.  She was married January 15, 1852 to Barnhardt Engle, who died in 1893.  Ten children were born to them, five of whom survive:  Mrs. Maggie Fought of Shelbyville, Illinois, Mrs. Seenith Coryell, of Newberg, Oregon, George Engle of Shelbyville, Pharis Engle of Miami, Oklahoma, and James Engle of Ransom.  Early in life Mrs. Engle united with the Lutheran Church.  Funeral services which were conducted by Rev. Ummel were held at the Mennonite Church Tuesday, July 15, 1913

Ness Co. Echo, July 19, 1913


 Carlyle Engle was instantly killed early last Wednesday morning when a car in which he was riding plunged down a 50-foot embankment on the Pacific Highway, north of Grants Pass, Ore.
 From the Courier of Grants Pass, we have obtained a few facts as written by one of their reporters who visited the scene of the accident.  It says:
 “The death scene was a straight-of-way 17 miles north of Grants Pass and about a mile south of Grave Creek.  Tracks indicated that the car turned a curve, gradually left the highway, on the canyon side, and by its momentum held to the side of a 45 degree slope for some 15 feet before it rolled over and over down the incline.
 Engle probably died instantly of a broken neck and other injuries as the car rolled down the slope and pinned him under its weight.  His companion, Hugo Anderson, was severely injured and in a hospital at Grants Pass.
 Coroner Hull was called to the scene about 4 a.m. after Anderson was brought to the hospital by passers-by who stopped at the scene.
 Engle was pinned beneath the wrecked car in such a manner it was impossible to remove it without a wrecker.  Since the telephone lines were down it was necessary to drive back to Grants Pass, where a wrecker was obtained and taken to the scene and the car was lifted off the body.
 At the hospital, Anderson, who was driving, could not tell what caused the car to leap over the grade.  The injured man could say only that he had trouble with the steering wheel, then the car ran off the pavement and plunged over.  It rolled lengthwise down the steep incline into the canyon.
 An inspection of the car showed that Engle had apparently been thrown out of the car through the window.  Flying glass caused severe cuts on his body.
 Engle and Anderson had been to Canyonville to witness a boxing card Tuesday evening.
 Engle came here last summer from Ransom, Kas., and was employed by Claus Anderson, gladiolus grower, and lived at the Anderson home north of Grants Pass.  Hugo Anderson is a nephew of Claus Anderson.
 The sad news was received in Ransom Wednesday afternoon, and the body arrived Monday night.   The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, with burial in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ransom Record, February 5, 1936


 Carlyle Franklin Engle was born in Ransom, Kas., May 4, 1907, and was killed in an automobile accident in the state of Oregon, on Wednesday, Jan. 29, 1936, age 28 years, 8 months, 25 days.  He was the fifth of six children born to Mr. and Mrs. J.O. Engle, and the second of these to pass away, Pauline having preceded him in death in 1933.
 Carlyle has always made his home in Ransom, except for the past five or six months spent in Oregon, working and visiting with his half sister Mary.  He had planned on coming home in February.
 Carlyle graduated from the Ransom High School with the class of 1926.  He has worked in this community, for some of its leading citizens and was a hand, extraordinary, his neatness with his work being one of his outstanding characteristics.  He was very kind to children and respectful to his elders.  He united with the M.E. Church on March 26, 1922, and through those years was a fine worker in the Sunday School and Epworth League, and upheld the principles of his Christian training.
 He leaves to mourn his death, his mother, Mrs. Anna Engle of Ransom, Kas., his father, J.O. Engle, and step-mother of Moreland, Okla., a half sister, Mrs. Mary Ramsey, of Grants Pass, Ore., Everett, of Shields, Kas., Oscar and Neoma of Ransom, Kas., and Mrs. Ruth Bierce, of Dodge City, other loved ones and many friends.

“A precious one from us has gone,
A voice we loved is stilled,
A place is vacant in our home,
Which can never be filled.  “

“From the dawn of early morning,
Till the sun hides its rays,
We’ll miss him every moment
In a thousand different ways.”

 Funeral services were held from the M.E. Church of Ransom Tuesday afternoon, Feb. 4.  Rev. D.L. Rothweiler spoke consoling words, using as a text I Samuel 20:3.
 A mixed quartette, composed of the Misses Mary Susan Haynie and Esther Young and Vernon Marhofer and Russell Shellenberger, sang “My Latest Sun Is Setting Fast”, “The Old Rugged Cross” and “Whispering Hope”, accompanied by Miss Dorothy Aeby.  Miss Haynie sang as a solo “One Fleeting Hour”.
 The casket was placed in the midst of a most beautiful bower of flowers.
 Pallbearers were Messrs. Otis and Ralph Horchem, Clyde Willour, Glenn Eisenhour, John Eitel and Tommy Williams.
 Funeral Director John Aeby had charge and the body was laid to rest in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ransom Record, February 5, 1936

 Cynthia Ann Gibson, daughter of Joel and Harriet Gibson, was born February 13, 1866, at Enterprise, Ohio, and passed away on February 22, 1949, at Ransom, Kansas, reaching the age of 83 years and 9 days.
 On February 10, 1886, she was united in marriage to Thomas Cutler in Obed, Ill.  They were blessed with two children, Delbert who passed away at the age of five months, and Mary E. Thomas Cutler passed away on March 5, 1891.
 On October 6, 1895, she was united in marriage to James O. Engle at Shelbyville, Ill.  To this union six children were born, two of whom, Pauline Ohlemeier and Carlyle, have preceded her in death.
 She leaves to mourn her passing five children:  Mary E. Cutler Ramsey of Grants Pass, Ore.; Everett R. Engle of Tribune; Oscar V. Engle of Great Bend; Neoma M. Engle of the home; Ruth E. Bierce of Dodge City; 13 grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren; two sisters:  Mrs. Elizabeth Rice of Watson, Ill., and Miss Josephine Gibson of Shelbyville, Ill.; numerous nieces and nephews and a host of friends.
 She moved from Ohio to Illinois with her parents when she was only four years old.  She then moved to Kansas in 1900 and settled on a farm south of Ransom.  In 1906 she moved to town where she resided until the time of her death.
 Mrs. Engle was taken into the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1906 under the pastorate of Rev. J.N. See, and she remained a worker in the church.
 Mrs. Engle has lived a very useful and profitable life and her influence will be greatly missed by her family and friends as will her cheery and welcoming smile.  She has given all her life to rearing and caring for her children and one grandson, Rex Paul, whom she reared till the age of six after the death of his mother, Pauline, in the spring of 1933.
 Funeral services were conducted from the First Methodist Church in Ransom on February 25, with Rev. Samuel Paulding officiating.  Pallbearers were Bob Engle, Donald Bierce, E.R. Engle, jr., Harold Davidson, Gerald Gile, and Wayne Engle.  A mixed quartet composed of Mrs. Samuel Paulding, Mrs. Willard Horchem, Jesse Dieffenbach, and Charles Shellenberger sang “Just a Few Short Years”, and “My Latest Sun Is Sinking Fast”.  Mrs. Paulding rendered the solo “Sunrise”.  Burial was made in the Ransom Cemetery with mortician John Aeby in charge.

Ness Co. News, March 3, 1949


 James Oscar Engle, 85, resident of the Ransom community from 1900 to the early 1920’s, passed away at Mooreland, Okla., October 9, 1955, following an extended illness.
 Survivors include:  Two daughters, Neoma Engle of Ransom, and Mrs. B.H. Bierce of Dodge City; two sons, Oscar of Great Bend, and Everett of Tribune; other relatives and friends.
 Funeral services were held at the Mooreland Baptist Church October 10, and the final services from the Ransom Methodist Church Tuesday morning, October 11, with the Rev. C.H. Larson officiating.  Interment was in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Oct. 20, 1955


 Neoma Marian Engle, 95, died Friday, May 4, 2001, at Grisell Memorial Long Term Care Center, Ransom.
 She was born May 20, 1905, in Ransom.
 She was a domestic and a lifetime Ransom resident.
 She is survived by nieces and nephews, including Rex Ohlemeier, O’Fallon, Ill., whom she raised from birth.
 Graveside service will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Ransom Cemetery, with Rev. Bruce Ferguson presiding.
 Visitation will be from 1 to 9 p.m. Monday and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Fitzgerald Funeral Home, Ness City.
 Memorials are suggested to Grisell Memorial Long Term Care Center.

Hays Daily  News, May 6,  2001


 Neoma Marian Engle, 95, died May 4, 2001, at Grisell Memorial Long Term Care Unit, Ransom.
 She was born May 20, 1905, at Ransom.
 A lifetime Ransom resident, she was a domestic.
 Survivors include:  six nephews,including Rex Ohlemeier, O’Fallon, Ill., and two nieces.
 She was preceded in death by all her brothers and sisters.
 Graveside service will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Ransom Cemetery, with Pastor Bruce Ferguson presiding.  Friends may call from 1 to 9 p.m. Monday and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Fitzgerald Funeral Home, Ness City.  Burial will be in Ransom Cemetery, Ransom.
 Memorials may be sent to Grisell Memorial Long Term Care, in care of the funeral home.

Hutchinson News, May 6, 2001

 Neoma Marian Engle, 95, died May 4, Grisell Memorial Long Term Care, Ransom.
 She was born on May 20, 1905 on a farm south of Ransom.  From these beginnings, she made her home for nigh unto a century in this area.
 Ome, as she was affectionately called, thought highly of by two nieces and six nephews, and enjoyed having them visit.  She raised one nephew, Rex Ohlemeier after the death of his mother.  All her brothers, sisters, and parents preceded her in death.  Two nieces and six nephews survive.
 Graveside service was Wednesday morning, at the Ransom Cemetery, and was officiated by Pastor Bruce Ferguson, United Methodist Church, Ransom.
 Memorials may be sent to Grisell Memorial Long Term Care, in care of the funeral Home.
 Good-bye Ome, may your soul rest in peace.

Ness Co. News, May 10, 2001

 You’ve no doubt heard the commercial for Timex watches saying that they just keep on ticking.
 The slogan characterizes Aunt Ome’s life--she just kept on ticking until the final count of 95 years, 11 months and 14 days.
 She was a loving aunt who thought a lot of her family members.  She was always there when they needed her.
 And she was quite a jokester--generally having some smart quip about a situation.
 Aunt Ome, as she was affectionately called, saw many changes during her lifetime.  She weathered whatever came her way.
 One of Ome’s talents was sewing.  One of her specialties was making rag dolls which several of the nieces and nephews and others were recipients of her handiwork.  I still have my dolls she made that I’ve cherished as a remembrance of her over the years.  If I would ask some of you whether you still have some of the dolls, you would probably say yes.
 I’ve had a special spot in my heart for Ome.  Because she helped raise me for the first few years of my life.  She was like a surrogate mother.
 Aunt Ome’s quality of life for the past 13 years was not the best.  However, she was accorded a level of care that the staff of the Grisell Memorial Long Care center gave her.  I spoke with several members of the staff yesterday thanking them for the compassionate care they gave her.  Each one spoke of their endearment to Ome and was glad to be a provider.  Thanks to them, her quality of life was certainly enhanced.
 God has now taken Aunt Ome to that Heavenly place.  Her body is gone but her soul lives on forever in our minds and hearts.
 Aunt Ome, Goodbye.  May you rest in peace!

Comments made by nephew Rex Ohlemeier at Neoma Engle’s graveside service, May 9, 2001


 Charles Harry William Evel, 83, died Dec. 17, 1996, at Hays Medical Center, St. Anthony Campus, at Hays.
 He was born May 2, 1913, at Arnold, the son of William and Cora Rogers Evel.  A lifetime Arnold resident, he was a farmer.
 On Oct. 17, 1945, he married Elnora Montie West at WaKeeney.  She survives.
 Other survivors include:  a son, Roy Evel, Arnold; four daughters, Jeanette Ochs, Great Bend, Ethel Evel, of the home in Arnold, Loretta Ferguson, Denver, and Charletta Carson, Olmitz; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
 Funeral will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Fitzgerald Funeral Home, Ness City, with the Rev. John Lewis presiding.  Friends may call from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and until service time Friday, both at the Funeral home.  Burial will be in the Ransom Cemetery.
 Memorials may be sent to the Charles Evel Memorial Fund in care of the funeral home.

Hutchinson News, Dec. 19, 1996

 Charles Harry William Evel, 83, died Tuesday, Dec. 17, at Hays Medical Center, St. Anthony Campus, in Hays.  A lifetime Arnold resident, he was a farmer.
 He was born May 2, 1913, at Arnold, the son of William and Cora Rogers Evel.  He married Elnora Montie West at WaKeeney.  he attended the Assembly of God Church in Ness City.
 He is survived by his wife, of the home; a son, Roy of Arnold; four daughters, Jeanette Ochs of Great Bend, Ethel Evel of the home in Arnold, Loretta Ferguson of Denver and Charletta Carson of Olmitz; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
 The funeral was Friday afternoon at the Fitzgerald Funeral Home in Ness City with the Rev. John Lewis presiding.  Burial was in the Ransom Cemetery.  Memorials may be sent to the Charles Evel Memorial Fund in care of the funeral home.

Ness Co. News, Dec. 26, 1996


 Charles Harry William Evel was born out in the country from Arnold, on May 2, 1913.  His parents were William Evel and Cora (Rogers) Evel.  They lived in a small one room house.  He has a brother, Roy who is two years younger.  They attended a one room country school.  The name of it was Lone Star.  Charles and family was poor, and did not have much, but they were happy with what they had.  Grandma baked bread, and a lot of apple dumplings, and that was something that dad really enjoyed.  He talked a lot about it.
 At the age of 17 he lost his mother, so dad helped grandpa take over the cooking of food, and anything that needed to be done.  Dad did the baking of bread, and apple dumplings.  His brother was only 15.  He farmed and had cows too.
 Eighteen years later, dad met a young lady that had come in from Arkansas to Kansas.  The young lady was visiting with her cousin, who was married to dad’s brother.  They met, and started dating, and had a few dates with each other.  The young lady's name was Elnora Montie West.   After a short courtship, they were married on Oct. 17, 1945, at WaKeeney.  Later this union brought forth one son, Tomie, and then four daughters, Jeanette, Ethel, Charletta, and Loretta.
 Charletta said something that she remembers about dad, is that he would take us to WaKeeney to see the big Christmas Tree.
 Ethel said that she thinks about being a little girl, and dad calling her his little punky.
 Jeanette remembers of being called Jeanettie.  He is special and will be missed so much.
 Dad always called Loretta his little lolee.
 Tomie and dad would do the farming together.  Dad enjoyed having Tomie with him.  He was a farmer and loved it.
 Dad loved and cared for his family very much.  He attended the Assembly of God Church, in Ness City.
 Dad was special and we loved him very much.  he will be missed by his wife Elnora, children, and grandchildren.  His brother and family, and many friends will miss him too.
 The thing that dad enjoyed most was going hunting with his son, and grandsons.  Also, he enjoyed fishing.

Ness Co. News, Jan. 23, 1997


 Cora Amelia Rogers was born in Shockyville, West Virginia, March 19, 1877.  She died in the St. Rose Hospital at Great Bend, Kansas, September 6, 1931, aged 54 years, 5 months, and 18 days.  She was married to William Evel April 23, 1912.  To this union two children were born, Charlie and Roy.
 She leaves to mourn their loss her husband, two sons, four brothers, Albert, Charlie, Clinton, and Harry; three sisters, Mrs. Clara McNinch, Mrs. Minnie Jacek, and Mrs. Beulah Watson.
 The funeral was held at the Arnold Church Tuesday conducted by the pastor, and burial was in Ransom Cemetery.

Busy toiler, thy work is over,
Hands that were busy, now shall rest,
The day has passed, ended with the setting sun,
May thy reward be blessed, rest to life Eternal begun.

Ransom Record, Sept. 11, 1931


 William Evel, 77, of Arnold passed away at the Ransom Hospital on  Sunday, November 5.
  Born on June 2, 1867, at Ashland, Ohio, he came to this section of the state when 16 years of age, locating in Trego County north of Arnold where he lived for many years.
 On April 30, 1912, he was united in marriage to Miss Cora Rogers, who preceded him in death, passing away September 5, 1931.  This union was blessed with two children, Roy and Charles Evel, who remain.
 Funeral services were held Tuesday, November 7, from the Methodist Church in Arnold.  Interment was made in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. Nov. 9, 1944


 A little stillborn daughter arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Everhart Saturday.  A short service for the little one was conducted at the cemetery by Rev. Mitchell Sunday afternoon.

(Saturday = March 6)
(Sunday, March 7)

Ransom Record, March 11, 1926
(burial--unknown location)


 Word has been received in Ness City just before noon Wednesday, June 10, that Carl Everhart, 41, had passed away Wednesday morning in a Wichita hospital.
 Everhart was injured by a shotgun blast here on Monday afternoon, June 1.  He was given treatment at the hospital here and then rushed to the hospital in Wichita.  His condition had remained grave since.
 No other particulars were available to The News Wednesday noon.

Ness Co. News, June 11, 1964

 Carl LeRoy Everhart was born in Ransom, Kansas, May 21, 1923, and departed this life at St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, June 10, 1964, at the age of 41 years and 20 days.
 He attended the Ransom grade and high schools.  He served his country in the navy from 1943 to 1945.  He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and one air medal, and was a member of the American Legion and Ransom VFW.  He was united in marriage to Nellie Schamaun on July 29, 1945, in WaKeeney.  To this union were born four sons:  Jerry, Carl, Dallas and Bradley.
 He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Stanley.
 He is survived by his family of four sons; five sisters, Mrs. R.D. (Stella) Schuler of Ness, Mrs. Clade (Sylvia) Martin, Mrs. Ermon (Bertha) McKinnis, and Mrs. Don (Elsie) Babcock, all of Utica, Mrs. Elias (Helen) Russell of Elkhart; three brothers, Clint of Dodge City, William of Wichita, and Rolla of Boulder, Colo.; a host of nieces, nephews and other relatives.

Ness Co. News, June 18, 1964


 Fred Everhart, 69, passed away at his home in Ness City this Wednesday evening about 6:30 o’clock, following a heart attack.
 Everhart had spent nearly his entire life time in Danby Valley and Ness City communities and is well known over the county.
 He leaves his wife, Cora, and four children, Milton, Marion, Floyd Everhart and Mrs. Gayle Squier, to mourn his passing.
 Tentative funeral arrangements are for Saturday afternoon at the Fitzgerald funeral home.

Ness Co. News, Nov. 27, 1952


 Fred Curran Everhart, son of Silas and Jennie Everhart, was born in Paola, Kansas, April 14, 1883.  In 1886 he came with his parents to Ness County.
 On January 12, 1916, he was united in marriage with Cora Hoover of Kensington, Kansas.  They resided near Ransom a short time, later moving to Danby Valley, southwest of Brownell.  To this union were born six children, two dying in infancy.  In 1946 they moved to Ness City.  He departed this life at his home November 26, 1952, at the age of 69 years, 7 months and 12 days.  The end came suddenly as a result of heart failure.
 In early manhood he was converted and became a member of the Ransom Methodist Church, where he was active until he moved to Ness City.  The last two years of his life he attended regularly the local Church of the Nazarene where his son, Floyd, was pastor.  He was interested in the church and always gave liberally, being especially generous in contributions for building funds of several new churches.  In the last few years he rededicated his life, drawing closer to God, enjoying to a greater extent the preaching of God’s word, prayer and testimony.  Every Sunday found him in his accustomed place in the church.
 He leaves to mourn his death: His devoted wife; four children, Milton of Brownell, Ruby Squier of Brownell, Marion of Big Springs, Texas, and Floyd of WaKeeney; seven brothers, Con of Stettler, Canada, Lee of Fort Scott, Herman of Granada, Colo., Henry of Phillips, Texas, Will and Clarence of Ransom, and Clayton of Arnold; four sisters, Jennie Warnow of Salina, Lula McMichael of Pueblo, Colo., Cora Rider of Ness City, and Maude Brown of Brownell.  He was preceded in death by his mother, father, and brother, Roy.  There are nine grandchildren, many other relatives and friends.
 He served some 20 years as chairman on Danby and Brownell telephone boards.  He gave unselfishly of his time for the advancement of schools and roads in the community.  As a farmer and neighbor he was known for his dealings and stood staunch in his belief where honesty and integrity were concerned.  His passing marks the end of a line of early pioneering with many hardships and few conveniences.
 In his last few years he is to be remembered for his love for the soil, delighting in planting and harvesting, and his love for flowers.  He had a deep loyal affection for his family, and especially enjoyed his grandchildren.
 Funeral services were held from the Fitzgerald funeral home on Saturday, November 29, conducted by Rev. Russell McCollom.  Music was furnished by Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Winter and the Musbach quartet.  Nieces were flower girls and nephews were pall-bearers.  Interment was made in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness County News,  Dec. 4, 1952

 Little Fred Wayne, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Everhart, was born May 9th, 1923.  July 12th the death angel visited their home and took from their midst their darling little one.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Anderson and his little body was laid to rest in the Ransom Cemetary.  He leaves to mourn his loss, broken hearted parents, two brothers, one sister, a grandmother and a host of other relatives and friends.  We should not grieve for this precious little one but still his absence from our home leaves an empty aching void that cannot be filled.  We look beyond to a city where he is watching and waiting for us.  A bud plucked on earth to bloom in Heaven.

Ransom Record, July 19, 1923



 Jennie Elizabeth Curran, daughter of Henry and Barbara Curran, was born in LaFayette County, Ohio on July 16, 1856, and departed this life at Asbury hospital, Salina, February 7, 1945, at the age of 88 years, 6 months, and 22 days.
 For the past year she has made her home with her daughter, Jennie Warnow of Salina.
 While living in Ohio her father, Henry Curran, served for a time in the Union Army during the Civil War.
 When a young child she moved with her parents to Missouri, where she met Silas Everhart and on November 5, 1874, they were united in marriage.  To this union were born four daughters and nine sons, all of whom survive her.
 She with her husband and family removed from Miami County to Ness County in 1886, where they resided on their homestead near Ransom until after her husband’s death in September 1918.
 She was indeed a pioneer mother, moving with her family to western Kansas in a covered wagon.  She nobly sustained her share of the burdens and conquered the hardships that fell to her lot in those early pioneer days.
 She was a charter member of the Methodist Church of Ransom, and was a consistent Christian, faithful throughout life.  As a mother she was ever thoughtful of the needs of her family.  During the last weeks of her life she suffered intense pain, and was sustained by her hope in Christ.  She admonished her loved ones to meet her in heaven.
 Those who survive her are her 13 children:  Cora Rider, Maude Brown, Jennie Warnow, Lula McMichael, Will, Conn, Lee, Roy, Clarence, Henry, Fred, Clayton, and Herman; 59 grandchildren, 95 great-grandchildren, and two great-great grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Alice Clayton of Winfield and Mrs. Clara Vance of Kansas City; one brother, Bert Curran of Kansas City; many nieces and nephews, and a host of friends.
 Her son, Roy, served in the American Expeditionary Force in France during the First World War.  She now has nine grandsons and six great grandsons in the armed forces:  Lt. (jg) Marion Everhart; Ens. Milton Everhart, Carl Everhart, seaman; F2/c Joe Brown; 1/c P.O. Kenneth Rider; Lieut. Olen Everhart; S/Sgt. John Everhart; Cpl. Clyde Weeks; Pfc. Malcolm Brown; Sgt. Arthur Everhart; Sgt. Robert McMichael; Sgt. Rolla Everhart (hon. discharged), Sgt. Herman Everhart, jr.; Cpl. Orville Roediger; and Pvt. Donald Weeks.
 The funeral services were held from the Ransom Methodist Church on Saturday, February 10, at 2 p.m., with Rev. W.E. Dunlap of McCracken in charge, assisted by Rev. Samuel Paulding who read the 14th Chapter of St. John, and also directed the music.
 A special musical number, “When I Reach Home” was rendered by Rev. and Mrs. Paulding; a double quartet sang “We Are Going Down The Valley One By One”, “The Old Rugged Cross” and “God Be With You ‘Till We Meet Again”.
 Eight sons were present, six acting as pallbearers:  Conn, Fred, Clayton, Clarence, Herman and Henry.  Will and Roy were honorary pallbearers, and one son, Lee of Wanatchee, Wash., was unable to be present.
 Interment was made in the Ransom Cemetery.

Ness Co. News, Feb. 15, 1945



 Roy Everhart, son of Silas and Jennie Elizabeth Everhart, was born in a “soddy” near Ransom on December 23, 1886.
 As a boy he attended the Ransom school.  When the United States became involved in the first World War, Roy volunteered for service and served overseas in France and Germany.
 On September 24, 1923 he was united in marriage to Mary Josephine Parrett at Kansas City, Mo.  On December 31, 1923, the couple moved to Ransom where they have since resided.
 A few years ago, Roy was found to be a victim of cancer, that at that time was thought to have effected a cure.  However, other growths developed and in spite of hospital and other medical and surgical care, brought about his death on September 12, 1946, at the age of 59 years, 8 months and 19 days.  Roy is the first of the 13 brothers and sisters to go.  He had many friends in Ransom and wherever he was known.
 On Wednesday, September 4, Roy made his peace with God and together with his wife, was received into the Methodist Church at Ransom on Thursday morning, September 5.
 Left to mourn his loss are his widow; Mary Josephine Everhart, four sisters, Mrs. Cora Rider of Ransom, Mrs. Jennie Warnow, Salina; Mrs. Lula McMichael, Pueblo, Colo.; and Mrs. Maud Brown, Brownell, eight brothers, Will and Clarence of Ransom, Fred of Brownell, Clayton of Arnold, Lee of Fort Scott, Henry of Phillips, Texas, Herman of Granada, Colo., and Connard of Canada, and many other relatives and friends.
 John Aeby was in charge of the funeral services which were held according to military regulations.  The following were color bearers:  Francis Hilmes, Ben Cowan and Robert Breit.  Pallbearers were: Cyril Kraus, Jake Long, Urban Landwehr, Melvin Clark, Orville Oriez and Harold Anderson.
 The choir sang beautifully, “Will the Circle Be Unbroken”, “Praying For You”, “Abide With Me”.  A duet “Almost Home” was sung by Rev. and Mrs. Paulding.

Ness Co. News, Sept. 26. 1946


 Silas Crawford Everhart was born in Lander County, Virginia, January 20, 1851, and died at his home southeast of Ransom, Saturday morning, September 21, 1918, aged 67 years, 8 months and 1 day.  Death came as a result of what is commonly known as multiplying boils on the back of his head and neck, and was an unexpected shock to his friends, many of whom did not even know of his illness.  His loss will be keenly felt by all who knew him intimately enough to know his true character and sterling worth.
 While yet a small child, he removed with his parents to Missouri.  He was united in marriage with Elizabeth Jennie Curran, November 5, 1874, and of this union were born thirteen children, all of whom, with their mother, survive him.
 Mr. Everhart came to this vicinity thirty-two years ago and has lived here ever since.  All of the children have made homes in Kansas except Conn, whose home is at Stettler, Alberta, Canada, and Roy, who is with the American Expeditionary Forces, in France.  The other children are:  Mrs. Lula McMichael, of Quenemo; Mrs. Maude Brown, Fred and Clayton Everhart, of Danby, Mrs. Al Rider, Will, Lee, Clarence, Herman and Henry Everhart, of Ransom.  There are thirty-six living grandchildren.
 Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist Church by Rev. Smith, of Ness City, Sunday afternoon, at 2:30, and interrment made in the Ransom Cemetery.  The high esteem with which Mr. Everhart was regarded in this community was attested by the large number that came to pay their last respects, the followers to the grave making a procession more than a half mile long.

Ransom Record, September 26, 1918


 Silas C. Everhart.  The experiences of the Kansas pioneers make a story that will never grow old.  It was a contest in which the resources of the individual were matched against the adversities of soil and climate, the pressure of economic necessity, and while many went down to defeat, there were others who survived because of a certain persistency in their makeup and an ability to get along without luxuries and even comforts in order to benefit from the prosperity which they anticipated.
 One of these capable pioneers who afterward found prosperity was Silas C. Everhart, of Ness County.  Mr. Everhart located in Nevada Township, Ness County, in 1886.  His business was that of mixed farmer and stockman.  He first settled on school land in that community, and subsequently bought the relinquishment of the west half of the southeast quarter of section 4 and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 9, township 17, range 23.
 It was a sod house into which he moved his family, and there he made his home for about ten years.  In some respects it was a house considerable better than the average.  It contained three rooms.  The roof was made of willow poles covered with sod, and a native plaster had been used for finishing the walls.  The old settlers all bear testimony to the comfort of these primitive homes.  They were warm in winter and cool in summer, and in those qualities surpassed the more ornate and elaborate homes of the present time.
 During his first years here Mr. Everhart made a general trial of different types of farming.  He planted forage, corn and a little wheat, and the crop he found best adapted for stock and poultry was sorghum and kaffir corn.  His wheat crop proved the most reliable money maker.  In the short crop years Mr. Everhart depended chiefly upon the cows which he had brought along with him, and when there was no grain to sell he could get from $5.50 to $10 for a calf, and that would supply the necessities of the household.
 Mr. Everhart was one of the first men to introduce thoroughbred livestock into Ness County.  He brought with him three good horses, three excellent milch cows, three thoroughbred Poland China hogs, and a couple of dozen Plymouth Rock chickens.  Few of the early settlers had so much stock as that, and nearly all of the stock and poultry of the early days was of mongrel type.  This stock and also his household goods Mr. Everhart shipped from Miami County, Kansas to Larned, and thence brought it overland with wagons.  He was a resident of Miami County four years before coming to Ness County.
 Mr. Everhart was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, January 20, 1850, but in 1851 his parents moved to Jackson County, Missouri, where he spent his early years.  His grandfather, Philip Everhart, was a native of Germany and was married there to a member of the royal family.  Coming to America he settled in Virginia, and lived within eight miles of Harpers Ferry.  He and his wife had nine sons.
 Philip P. Everhart, father of Silas C., was born near Harpers Ferry in Loudoun County, Virginia, in 1817.  In the old time when it was customary to have a militia muster every year, he was always on hand and thus acquired considerable military training.  When the Civil War broke out he helped to drill some troops which served in General Price’s army.  Though an active southern man in sympathy, he was not in the war as a soldier.  He continued to live in Jackson County, Missouri, until 1885, when he removed to Miami County, Kansas, and spent the rest of his days there on a farm.  He had been a whig in early years, but subsequently became a democrat, and in church affiliations he was a Calvinistic Baptist.  He married Mary Crawford.  Her father, Rev. Bebee Crawford, came from Loudoun County, Virginia, and died soon after settling in Lafayette County, Missouri.   He was a member of one of Virginia’s old families.  Mrs. Philip P. Everhart was the only child of her mother, and she died in November, 1914.  Her children were:  Silas C.; Dora Amanda, of Excelsior Springs, Missouri, wife of Edgar Powell; Betty Elizabeth, widow of John Swamel, living at Excelsior Springs; Mollie, wife of Price Hornbuckle, of Miami County, Kansas; George W., of Kansas City; Ella, deceased, who married Phil Mann; Dan, a resident of Kansas City; Charles, of Kansas City; and Emma, wife of James Reynolds, of Kansas City.
 Silas C. Everhart grew up on the old farm in Jackson County, Missouri, not far from the city of Kansas  City, received his education in the country schools, and at the age of twenty-three took the active management of the home farm.  He lived near Kansas City until he moved to Miami County, Kansas.
 In many ways Mr. Everhart was a useful factor in the development of Ness County.  The improvements on his own farm constitute a valuable contribution to the assets of this section.  In 1915 he erected a substantial modern home of concrete blocks, and put up a large barn the same year.  Out of the 720 acres he owned he has 300 acres in cultivation, and long experience enabled him to adapt his work as a farmer in such a manner to the varying seasons and market demands that he usually had some surplus when he closed his books at the end of the year.  His best wheat yield was in 1915.  Part of the land in crop that year yielded over thirty bushels to the acre.
 Mr. Everhart came into school district No. 7, the Nevada School, in time to help build the first schoolhouse, and he was the chief contributor to the erection of that temple of learning.  It was a sod house and occupied the site now covered by a more substantial frame building.  One of the first teachers there was Miss Katie Harkness.  Mr. Everhart was one of the school directors for a number of years and he served as treasurer of the township board.  He was a strong prohibitionist, and for several years was a member of the Central Committee of his township and did all he could to extend the prohibition sentiment.  For a time he was in charge of the roads of his district.  He was a member of the Methodist Church of Ransom, to which his wife also belongs.  Mr. Everhart passed away September 21, 1918.
 In Jackson County, Missouri, November 24, 1874, Mr. Everhart married Miss Elizabeth J. Curran, a daughter of Henry and Catherine (Rowe) Curran.  The Curran family came to Missouri from Lafayette County, Ohio.  Henry Curran was a farmer, and while living in Ohio he entered the Union Army and served a short time during the Civil war.  Mrs. Everhart, who was born in La Fayette County, Ohio, July 16, 1856, was one of the following children:  Kate, who married James Shrout of Jackson County, Missouri; David, of Tulsa, Oklahoma; Mrs. Mary Hendricks, of Jackson County, Missouri; Mrs. Everhart; Mrs. Alice Clayton, of Cowley County, Kansas; Jesse, of Jackson County, Missouri; Bert, who is a worker in the Oklahoma oil fields; Clara, who is the wife of Roy Vance of Kansas City, Missouri.
 The thirteen living children of Mr. and Mrs. Everhart proved a great incentive to their labors in making a home and in acquiring prosperity in Ness County.  George William, the oldest, a farmer near his father’s home, married May Manchester, and his children named Stanley, Stella, Clinton, Sylvia, Billie, Bertha and Rolley V.  Cora married Alfred Rider, of Ness County, and their children are Bert, Letha, Freddie, Mabel, Opal and Earl.  Connie who lives in Alberta, Canada, married Minnie La Vell and has three children:  Juanita, Elina and Elizabeth Fay.  Lee, a farmer here, married Ida Amstutz and their children are Laura, Myron, Harold, Juanita and Lois.  Maude is the wife of Billie Brown, of Ness County, and has children named Melvin, Jesse, Nellie, Robert, Stella, Pearl, George and Leo.  Lula by her first marriage has a son, Jesse Wantland, and she is now the wife of Oscar McMichael, of Quenemo, Kansas, and their children are Ethel, Alvin and Martin.  Fred married Cora Hoover and has two children; Milton and Ruby L.  Clayton married Violet Hoover.  The younger children are Roy, Clarence, Herman and Henry.  Roy is a volunteer in the army, in Battery A of the Sixty-Second Regiment and is serving in France.  The other sons are the farmers at home.


 Mrs. Clayton Everhart died at the Mid-West Hospital last night.  Mrs. Everhart had been in a very serious condition for several days.
 The sympathy of the community is with Mr. Everhart and the little ones who survive.

Ransom Record, April 11, 1929


 Violet Eliza Hoover was born in Smith County near Kensington, Kansas, April 27, 1896 and departed this life April 11, 1929 at the age of 32 years, 11 months and 14 days.
 She was united in marriage to Clayton Everhart August 12, 1914.  To this union six children were born, the first, a boy, who did not live, then four girls besides the little one who preceded her mother five days.
 She was reared by devoted Christian parents and was converted in girlhood and later became a member of the Methodist Church in Arnold, being a regular attendant of church services until the time of her death, which occurred at the Mid-West Hospital, Ransom, Kansas, five days after the birth of the baby.
 She was a loving, faithful mother and wife, ever thoughtful of those she loved.  She mentioned during her last days that she was ready to go if she should not live.  She took an interest in the affairs of the church and community as far as she was able to take part. 
 She is survived by her devoted husband and four daughters, Hazel, nearly ten, Mildred eight, Velma six and Dessie five years of age, four sisters; Mrs. Elma Curtis of Norton, Kansas, Mrs. Cora Everhart, Mrs. Marie Rider and Miss Bessie Hoover, all of Ness County, and one brother, Marion, of Boulder, Colorado, besides a host of other relatives and friends.
 She was preceded in death by her parents, two sisters, Alma and Neva, and two brothers, Harry and Willie.
 She will be sadly missed in her home and in the community by all who knew her.

Happy soul, thy days are ended,
All thy mourning day below;
Go, and angel bands attended,
To the light of Jesus go!
Waiting to receive thy spirit,
Lo, the Savior stands above,
Shows the purchase of the merit,
Reaches out a crown of love.
Struggle thru’ thy latest passion,
To thy great Redeemer’s Breast,
To this uttermost salvation,
To this everlasting rest.
For the joy He sets before thee,
Bear a momentary pain’
Die, to live the life of glory’
Suffer with thy Lord to reign.



 Funeral services were held at the Ransom M.E. Church Saturday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Bisbee of Luray and Rev. Adams of Arnold.  Three beautiful songs “Abide With me”, “No Night There” and “Safe In The Arms of Jesus” were sung by a mixed double quartette composed of members from the Arnold and Ransom Sunday Schools.
 The love and respect of the communities were evidenced by the many beautiful floral offerings.
 Interment was delayed until Sunday afternoon awaiting the arrival of the brother and family.  The remains were laid to rest in the Ransom Cemetery beside the baby.
 Sincere sympathy is extended by all to the bereaved relatives.

Ransom Record, April 18, 1929

 Mrs. Ella S. Everly, 77, a native of Ness County, died in Topeka, on Monday, September 20, following an extended illness.
 She was born on March 11, 1888, in Ness County and had lived at Eskridge most of her adult life.  Her first husband, Grover C. Scherzinger, died in 1946.
 Surviving are the husband, Howard Everly of Topeka; a daughter, Mrs. Cleta O’Connor of Pasadena, Calif.; a son, Marlin Scherzinger of Fort Worth, Texas; two sisters, Mrs. Lillie DeVore of Norwalk, Calif., and Mrs. Bertha Benton of Kansas City, Mo.; and other relatives.
 Funeral services were held at Topeka on Wednesday, and the body will be brought to Ransom where graveside services will be conducted at the Ransom Cemetery at 4:00 o’clock Thursday afternoon, September 23, with Fitzgeralds making the local arrangements.

Ness Co. News, Sept. 23, 1965

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: