Miscellaneous Kiowa County, Colorado Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Damon Leslie Weeks, 77
Damon Leslie Weeks, 77, Tow, Texas and former Sublette, Kansas, Lamar and Eads resident died, June 7, 1999, at Llano Memorial Hospital, Llano, Texas.
The son of Dea Goul and Vera (Woodrow) Weeks, he was born July 11, 1921, in rural Haskell County, Kansas.
He was a graduate of Sublette High School in the class of 1939. He grew up in Haskell County and went into the United States Air Force in the spring of 1943, serving in the 64th Troop Carrier Group in the European Theater. After he served his country, he moved to Eads, where he lived until 1964 moving to Lamar. He was an insurance agent for Security Life of Denver. He retired in 1984, moving to Tow where he lived until his death.
He and June Bethel were married June 7, 1941, at Sublette. They were married for 58 years.
He was a member of the Lamar Christian Church, 32nd Degree Mason - Unity 142 of Eads, and American Legion Post No. 0211 of Lamar.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, D.L. (Judy) Weeks, Eads; Tim (Sylvia) Weeks, Eads; one daughter, Bonnie Weeks, Lamar; one brother, Edwin (Juanita) Weeks, Santanta, Kansas; three sisters, Vivian Bethel, Lamar, Vera Mae (Chester) Knief, Richardson, Texas, Juanita (Larry) Hamby, Pawhuska, Oklahoma; six grandchildren, Dea and Grady Weeks, Eads, Colorado, Shelby (Mark) Maupin, Borger, Texas, Mike (Delisa) Weeks and Joani (William) Crawford, Eads, and Monty (Tracey) Weeks, Kit Carson; and great grandchildren, Skyler and Darci Weeks, Logan and Ryland, Micah Crawford, and Ebanee Moyers and several nephews and nieces.
He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers, Gordon Weeks and Eldon Weeks, and one brother-in-law, Eldon Bethel.
A memorial has been established for the Damon Weeks Memorial in care of the Valley State Bank, Box 1108, Lamar, Colorado 81052.
Military grave side services were held Saturday, June 12, at 11:00 a.m. at the Haskell County Cemetery with Minister Ron Wilson presiding. Military services were conducted by Sublette American Legion Post No. 205.
Memorial services will be held at the Lamar Christian Church June 20, 1999, at 2:00 p.m.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Haskell County Funeral Home.

Lael Kettle-Underwood, 62
On March 28, 1999, Lael Sybil (Cross) Kettle-Underwood passed away in Eads, Colorado after a long illness.
Lael Underwood was born on March 13, 1937, to Archie and Frances (Sloan) Cross in Montrose, Colorado. Lael grew up in Montrose and lived there until she moved to Eads, Colorado in 1997. She was married to (Lester) Wayne Kettle November 8, 1958. They made their home in Ridgeway, and Montrose, Colorado. Wayne passed away November 23, 1969. Lael was married to Ernest Underwood on June 6, 1975, they made their home in Montrose, and he passed away June 18, 1986. Lael worked for 30 years at Montrose Memorial Hospital, until January 1997. During her life she worked with many people and made many dear friends, she loved the outdoors and had many interests. Lael was a dedicated and loving mother to her children and dedicated member of the First Assembly of God in Montrose, Colorado. She was also very involved in the activities of Eads Assembly of God during her time in Eads with her son Larry and family.
Lael is survived by four children Shawna Lynn (Kettle) Allmon and husband Scott of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, Douglas Duane Kettle and wife Brenda of Rathdrum, Idaho, Larry Dean Kettle and wife Marilyn of Eads, Colorado, and Danie Lea (Underwood) Brew and husband Scott, two sisters, Donna Lee Heiden and Idane Gibbons and a brother Duane Cross, sister-in-law Erika Gordon of Florida and 17 grandchildren. Lael was preceded in death by a son Darrel Wayne Kettle who was born and died on March 9, 1960, a granddaughter Rachel R. Kettle who was born and died on December 9, 1988, her father, mother, three brothers, Don Cross, Dale Cross and Clifford Cross.
A service of remembrance and celebration was held on Monday, March 29, 1999 at 7 p.m. at the Eads Assembly of God Church. Rev. Ron Frierson and Rev. Larry Kettle officiated. Special music was provided by the Eads Assembly of God Worship Team, Kathy Shade and Pam Frierson. Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 31, 1999 at the First Assembly of God in Montrose, Colorado with burial in the Grand View Cemetery. Rev. Keith Howard, Rev. Robert Smith and Rev. Phil Neely officiated. Musical selections were provided by Carma Grimes and Marilyn Wyatt and Charlie Wagner. Lael's family also provided musical selections. Serving as casektbearers in Eads were: Geleslie King, Tony Jensen, Harvey Shade, Walt Immer, Rich Hockett, Larry Wyatt. Serving as casektbearers in Montrose were: Gordon Blay, Tom Grimes, Bill Archer, Bill Ross, Sam Brim and Doug Chaffin. Memorials may be sent to the Eads Assembly of God Church building fund in care of Brown Funeral Home, P.O. Box 432, Eads, Colorado 81036.
Arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Vernice Pauline Stone, 88
Verncie Pauline Stone was born near Petigrew, Arkansas, January 15, 1911. She was the fourth of five children born to Otis and Arlevia Johnson. At one year of age, her family moved to Kingfisher, Oklahoma, and then at the age of four they moved to a homestead 13 miles northwest of Fowler. She attended school through the eighth grade at Lakeview, a one room school, four miles from her home.
She married at 16 years of age, and to this union two children were born, Merl and Mary Lou. After this marriage dissolved she obtained a job at Karval working for the Frank Crossens. It was during this period she met Roy Stone. They married on December 28, 1933. Two children were born to this marriage, Lola and Vernon. During the first five years of their married life, they lived seven miles southwest of Karval. In 1938, they moved to their home two miles west of Karval. They continued to live there until Roy's death in 1985. Vernice continued to live at Karval until November, 1987, at which time she became unable to live alone. The next five years she lived with each of her four children. In 1992, she was placed in the Weisbrod Nursing Home in Eads, where she remained there until her death.
Vernice was a hard working lady with a strong personality. She loved people, especially her family. There was always time in her life to take care of nieces, nephews, grandchildren and great grandchildren. She enjoyed having people stop in for a meal. No matter how many or how short the notice, she always seemed to be prepared and could feed any number that arrived.
God and her church were always very important to her. As a youth growing up, church attendance Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings was never up for debate. It came first, then other plans could be attended to.
The first indication that her mind was beginning to fail was when she began missing Sunday morning meetings. This was completely out of character for her, so her family was sure she was beginning to have problems at that time.
It was very disheartening to watch her decline from the pillar of strength that kept everyone else propped up, to the point where she was unable to converse with family and friends.
Vernice was preceded in death by her parents; two brothers, Elza and Holly; one sister, Dorlas; her husband, Roy; and daughter, Mary Lou.
Mrs. Stone passed away on April 7, 1999, at Weisbrod Hospital in Eads, at the age of 88. She is survived by her children, Merl (Lola) Thomas of Pueblo, Lola (Chuck) Igou of Eads, and Vernon (Mona) Stone of Hugo; nine grandchildren; 13 great grandchildren; 10 step grandchildren; and one brother, Paul (Marteal) Johnson of Grand Junction.
Funeral services for Vernice P. Stone were held Sunday, April 11, 1999, at the Karval School in Karval with Leslie White, Roxi Cotten and Kathy Glazebrook officiating. Kevin Hartman, Karen Hartman and Chuck Igou were accompanied by Roger Hartman as they provided the musical selections 'Only Trust In Jesus,' 'God Hath Not Promised,' and 'I Will Leave It all To Jesus.' Serving as casket bearers were: Marty Adams, Dolan Gram, David McDaniel, Kenny Book, Denny Igou, Brandon Igou, Steve Uhland, Merlin Thomas and Eli Abordo.
Following the service, the large gathering of family and friends went in procession to the Karval Cemetery where the final committal services were held. A time of refreshments and meal was provided by the community for the family and their friends.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Raymond A. Stoker, 85
Raymond A. Stoker was born June 24, 1913, in Haswell to Thomas H. and Florence (Nice) Stoker. He departed this life June 12, 1999, at the Ark-Valley Nursing Care Center where he had been a resident for the past six years.
Mr. Stoker was united in marriage to Ethel Doris Haufle February 21, 1933, in Tribune, Kansas. He worked for Missouri-Pacific Railroad for many years.
Mr. Stoker is survived by his wife; a daughter, Patty Miller of Folwer; three sons, Alfred of Las Animas, Leland of Burlington, and Clyde of Boise, Idaho; a brother, George, of Haswell, two sisters, Ethel Brandon of Las Animas and Doris Armour of Santa Ana, California; 14 grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren and five great great grandchildren.
Funeral services were held June 16, 1999, at the United Methodist Church in Las Animas with Rev. Bob Coulson officiating. Interment followed at the Las Animas Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Arkansas Valley Hospice Association.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Horber Funeral Chapel.

Cecil D. Snyder, 95
Cecil D. Snyder, 95, of Lakewood died May 26. Services will be at 2:00 p.m. Saturday, June 12, at Crown Hill Chapel, 7777 W. 29th Ave.
Mr. Snyder was born in Sabetha, Kansas, July 4, 1903. He was a teacher and school superintendent in Eads, Aspen, and Climax. He taught business administration at Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas, and was a member of the National Education Association.
Survivors include wife Daphne; daughters Frelon A. Mardick of Battlement Mesa, Jean Mardick of Longmont; sons Hubert of Frisco, David of Golden; 14 grandchildren; 25 great-grandchildren; six great-great-grandchildren.

Adalene H. Rhoades, 90
Adalene H. Rhoades died in Cheyenne Wells January 13, 1999. She was born on April 12, 1908, in Independence, Missouri, to Ira M. Bentley and Marie (Lapasade) Bent1ey.
Adalene lived all of her 90 years in the Kit Carson community. She graduated from Boyero High School in 1925 and received her teaching certificate from Colorado State Teachers College in Greeley. Adalene returned to Kit Carson and taught elementary school in District one.
May 11, 1930, Adalene was united in marriage to William H. Rhoades, Jr. To this union were born three sons, William III, Robert, and Don. Bill and Adalene celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1980. Adalene was preceded in death by her husband in 1982.
Adalene and Bill expanded the ranch which his father began in 1886. The couple were widely respected for their participation and leadership in the Rocky Mountain Quarter Horse Association. They were also active in bowling, bridge, and other community activities.
Adalene's family remember her for a life of service to family and friends. A special joy of her life was caring for her grandchildren.
Funeral services for Adalene Rhoades were held Saturday January 16, 1999, at 2:00 p.m. at the Kit Carson United Methodist Church with Rev. Michael Ingersol officiating. Bruce Andersen played the organ and John Anglin and Mary Rhoades sang 'How Great Thou Art' and 'Sheltered In The Arms Of God.' Serving as casket bearers were Richard Ham, Mike Boyd, Brett Rhoades, Byron Rhoades, Richard Rhoades and John Anglin.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Alice Elner Pursley, 78
Alice Elner Pursley, the youngest of twelve children, was born to James Joseph and Sarah Elizabeth (Hoffman) Cullen March 15, 1921, in Boyero. She departed this life March 18, 1999, at Keefe Memorial Hospital in Cheyenne Wells at the age of 78 years.
Alice attended catholic grade school in Kinsley, Kansas, and high school in Kit Carson. She graduated from high school in 1939.
Alice married her high school sweetheart, Harry Pursley, February 21, 1941, and they spent 56 happy years together. Two children were born to this union, Catheryn Jane 'Cathy' March 24, 1942, and Robert Lee 'Bob' June 30, 1945. Their married years were spent on the farm and ranch north of Kit Carson. In 1979, they moved into Kit Carson while continuing to maintain the farm and ranch. After the children left home, Alice cooked at the school cafeteria for 18 years.
Alice was a devoted wife and mother. She spent many years helping her children with 4-H projects and loved seeing her great grandchildren show their 4-H livestock. She enjoyed having company and you could always look forward to a delicious baked goodie whenever you visited the Pursley household. She spent many years working with her beautiful garden, always supplying flowers to the church when they were in season.
Alice has been a very devoted member of the St. Augustine Catholic Church for many years. She has been active with the senior citizens, enjoying the outings and quilting. As a member of the Alter Society, she served in the capacity as an officer from time to time. She liked greeting the visitors at the Kit Carson Museum as well.
Preceding Alice in death was her husband, Harry Pursley; son, Bob Pursley; parents, James Joseph and Sara Elizabeth Cullen; two brothers, John and Leon Cullen; and four sisters, Catheryn Loss, Margaret Scott, Emily Weber and Nellie Moran.
She is survived and will be dearly missed by her daughter, Cathy Carrigan of Northglenn, ; grandsons and their families, Mark and Sherrie Carrigan of Lamar, and Doug and Cathy Carrigan of Thornton; granddaughters and their families, Rala and Jeff Moore of Pritchett; and Bobbie Lee and J. J. Quick of Pueblo; great grandchildren Robin, Brittany, Matthew and Sean Carrigan, Lauren Guy, Merenda Moore and Robert Lee Quick; daughter-in-law Patsy Howard of Springfield; sisters, Rosanna Tarman and Agnes Foley of Lamar; Angie Hirsh of Pratt, Kansas, and Eva Strawn of Hutchison, Kansas; brother Jimmie and his wife Frances Cullen of Pueblo; sisters-in-law Sarah Cullen and Peggy Pursley of Kit Carson and numerous very dear nieces and nephews as well as a host of friends.
Services were held at St. Augustine Catholic Church with Father Thomas J. Kloppenborg officiating. Visitation at the church was held before the evening vigil service and recitation of the rosary, which began at 7:00 p.m., Monday, March 22, 1999. Family members, Tara Weber and Amy Collins and Alice's great granddaughter Brittany Carrigan, placed the pall and crucifix on the casket at the back of the church at which time Alice was received into the church with the family following the casket as it was taken to the front to begin the evening services. Providing prelude and postlude music was Marilyn Ward and Tim Hogan.
The following morning a Funeral Mass was said at 10:00 a.m.., again with Father Kloppenborg officiating. Before the mass Alice's great grandchildren stepped forward to place cards they had prepared in the casket while Jana Harms sang 'Immaculate Mary'. Other musical selections, 'The Strife is O'er', 'Amazing Grace' and 'What Wondrous Love Is This' were played throughout the mass and provided by Mrs. Harms, Tim Hogan and Marilyn Ward. The gifts to the altar were brought forward by two of Alice's nieces, Theresa Harms and Liz Mattics. Serving as Eucharistic Ministers were Jan Hogan, Mary Louise Dechant and Eleanor Dechant and Norma Jean Polley provided the readings for the mass. Following the mass Alice's grandson, Doug Carrigan read the eulogy and her granddaughter; Sherrie Carrigan, read a poem to the large gathering of family and friends.
Casket bearers were Tony Weber, Carl Randel, Tony Paintin, Ricky Geckler, Geofferey Wolff, and Paul Dechant.
Graveside services and the Rite of Committal were held at the Kit Carson Cemetery. At the conclusion, the family returned to the community building in Kit Carson to share in the family dinner prepared and served by Alice's friends and neighbors of Kit Carson.
Funeral services were under the direction of Peacock Funeral Home.

Helen M. Preedy, 87
Helen M. 'Peg' Preedy was born September 13, 1911 in Leoti, Kansas, to William and Maude Lawrence. She departed this life Saturday, December 26, 1998, at Colorado Plains Medical Center.
The family moved from Kansas to Eads when Peg was a child. She attended local schools, graduating from Eads High School, where she was a member of the state championship basketball team.
July 24, 1933, Peg was united in marriage to Oscar 'Chick' Preedy at Scott City, Kansas. In 1945, the family moved to a farm east of Fort Morgan where they farmed and raised tomatoes until moving to Tucson, Arizona, upon their retirement in 1964. Chick died there the following year. Peg then moved to live with her son, Charles, in California. The family moved back to Fort Morgan in 1991.
Peg had been active in the local PTA, the Platte Avenue Social Club and the First Christian Church. She is survived by her son, Charles, of Fort Morgan.
Following cremation, private memorial services will be held later.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Jolliffe Mortuary.

When others wore the white carnation
 I passed it by with casual glance
Because I had my wonderful mother
 It held no deep significance
 Today I wear that pallid flower,
And learn a truth I never knew
The white carnation is a token,
That tears have blanched its crimson hue.

Alan Pharo, 69
Alan Cameron Pharo was born in Denver August 13, 1929, the only child of Charles and Agnes (Brown) Pharo. He passed away April 30, 1999, at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Spring as a result of complications following heart surgery.
Alan grew up and attended school in Denver, and from the time that he was a small boy, he dreamed of and planned on having his own ranch. After graduating from South High in 1947, he attended Denver University for one year, later transferring to CSU where, in 1951, he graduated with honors with a degree in animal husbandry.
Alan married Shirley Kimmel December 20, 1950, in the community church in Arapahoe. To this union six children were born: Kit Dillon, Brett Alan, Scott Barry, Kevin Paul, Kathy Lyn and Jennifer Sue. Scott, as an infant, preceded Alan in death.
Upon graduation, Alan and Shirley moved to Steamboat Springs where he was employed by the Fetcher ranch for two years. They moved to their present residence in the spring of 1954, just in time for the dust storms of the fifties. In 1955, Alan was hired by the Soil Conservation Service and worked for the agency for ten years.
Alan built up a cow-calf operation, starting with the seven head that he had acquired while working for Fetchers. This was not only his livelihood, but also his love. He was one of the first to keep detailed records on his heard, and with this information, he culled and sought suitable sires. His weaned calves brought top prices in the fall.
The family spent their vacations in the mountains, and Alan taught all of the children, and most of the grandchildren, how to fish. He also displayed observation skills so that they learned to appreciate the many facets of God's world. Alan came to love the plains as he loved the mountains, seeing that they, too, have a special beauty of their own.
Alan loved life and people. He enjoyed fellowship, having a cup of coffee, and visiting with friends; he readily made new friends when traveling. Alan had a special compassion for animals, and enjoyed their companionship throughout his life.
Alan was preceded in death by his parent and his son, Scott. He leaves behind his wife, Shirley; sons Kit (Deanna) of Cheyenne Wells, Brett (Debbie) of Rapid City, Michigan, and Kevin (Angie) of Fort Collins; daughters Kathy (Rod) Pelton of Cheyenne Wells, and Jennifer (Warren) McConnell of Lahoma, Oklahoma; 14 grandchildren and many friends.
Alan understood that each day was a precious gift from God of 24 hours to be lived and not squandered. It can truly be said that he lived.
Funeral services for Alan Pharo were held May 4, 1999, at the Cheyenne Wells Community Building with Pastor Wes Thompson of the Cheyenne Wells Christian Church officiating. Marilyn Boswell provided the prelude and postlude music, as well as accompanying the Lord's Four Quartet as they sang 'Amazing Grace,' Daddy's Hands' and 'I'll Get a New Body.' Pastor Thompson alluded to Alan's life as a treasure chest, and encouraged his family and friends to reflect upon the many wonderful memories of Alan and treat them as treasures. At the conclusion of the service, the song, 'You're My Best Friend,' was played. At the front of the building was a floral arrangement entitled 'A Room Full of Roses,' which was symbolic of Alan and Shirley's favorite song. Interment was at the Fairview Cemetery in Cheyenne Wells. Following the funeral service, the large gathering of Alan's friends and family gathered at the Christian Church for a time of fellowship.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

William Thomas Osborn, 82
William Thomas Osborn, age 82, departed this life May 5, 1999, at Lamar.
He was born January 17, 1917, at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, the fourth child of Mary Marie (Vejvoda) Osborn and James Oliver Osborn.
He moved to Colorado at the age of seven in a wagon where he settled at Sheridan Lake.
Bill married Marjorie Vee Root on September 28, 1941 at Tribune, Kansas.
He is survived by his wife Marjorie of the home; six children, Bob Osborn of York, Nebraska, Mary (Les) Guthrie of Pritchett, Doris (Dwight) Bennett of Ft. Lupton, Dixie (Mike) Keksi of Reno, Nevada, Leslie (Terry) Jones of Scott City, Kansas and Kathy (Eddie) Sims of Tribune. Also surviving are 16 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; two brothers, Frank (Hazel) Osborn of Eads, and Richard Osborn and Mamie of Lamar; three sisters, Helen (Buck) Harris of Sheridan Lake, Mary (Joe) Marble of Chivington and Edna (Ted) DeLong of Eads, as well as numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, and other relatives and a host of friends.
Bill was preceded in death by his parents, Mary and James Osborn; three brothers, Jim, Ed and George Osborn; three sisters, Minnie Hawley, Bea Prosser and Elsie Venturi. One granddaughter, Joyce Bennett, also precedes Bill in death.
As Bill grew up, he went to school at Sheridan Lake. In 1942, Bill went to the Army and served his country in World War II. He was discharged from the service in 1945, settling in Kiowa County. In 1933, Bill and Marge moved to Lamar, where he lived until his death. He belonged to the Lions Club and was a lifetime member of the VFW Post 4021.
Grave side services for Bill Osborn were held at 2:00 p.m. at the Towner Cemetery, Monday, May 10, 1999, with Reverend Jack Sanders of the Community Nazarene Church in Lamar officiating.
A favorite song of Bill's, "Lilly of the Valley" was sung to the large gathering of family and friends by three members of Bill's family, Terry Jones and his son and daughter, Chris and Tommy Jones.
Serving as casket bearers were "All of Bill's grandchildren and friends".
At the conclusion of the committal services, the American flag was folded and presented to Bill's wife Marge in recognition of Bill's service to his country.
Prior to the grave side service the family gathered at the Towner community building to share in the family dinner prepared and served by the ladies of the Towner community.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Peacock Family Funeral Home.

Germaine Ann Legg, 62
Germaine Price was born in Denver during the height of the depression on June 20, 1936 to Tom and Mary Genevieve (Ross) Price. Jerri, as everybody who knew her called her, grew up on the eastern plains of Colorado as the youngest of eight children.
As a first grade student, she attended school at Bellview, which was a lonely country schoolhouse situated between Byers and Strasburg. In high school, Jerri had numerous friends, was a cheerleader, and a member of Deer Trail High School=s women=s basketball team which included six players on the court, three on defense and three on offense. Jerri was also the Salutatorian of her class of 1954. Jerri entered college in Greeley and promptly met and fell in love with Myrl E. Legg. They were married in Hugo June 25, 1955, and began their life together in Boulder while Myrl finished law school at Colorado University.
On October 16, 1961, Myrl and Jerri were blessed with twins whom they named, Betsy Ann and Brett Edmond. In 1962, they moved to Eads where Myrl set up a law firm and Jerri created a loving home for their family. Their third child, Dana Rose Marie, was born on December 20, 1965, in Eads. The next years were enjoyable for Jerri as she became known as an expert seamstress and with handicrafts, serving as judge in those areas at the Kiowa County Fair a number of times.
In 1976, Jerri became the first and only female Mayor of the Town of Eads, serving until 1978. During her tenure, she was instrumental in helping Kiowa County gain back water interests to the lake system south of Eads. Education was always important, and she emphasized this to her children, all of which obtained their college degrees. Jerri practiced what she preached and became a role model for her children when she went back to college after 33 years and received her Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Northern Colorado in 1988, which included an education certificate in special education. She was a loving and concerned educator for six years as she experienced the joy of working with special needs children in a number of schools including Kit Carson, Cheyenne Wells and Weslaco, Texas.
The loss of her husband, Myrl in 1989, was a time of great sorrow for Jerri. She found comfort in Harlingen, Texas, where she made a number of friends through her teaching. After her retirement in 1994, Jerri spent half of her year in Texas with her Awinter Texan@ friends and half in Colorado with her children and grandchildren. She made hundreds of friends in both states and enjoyed pursuing new interests such as traveling, square dancing and bird watching. While in Colorado, Jerri attended a number of baseball, basketball and football games as she cheered on her grandchildren proudly.
Germaine Ann Legg passed from this life May 26, 1999, at Penrose Hospital after a brief illness at the age of 62 years, 11 months and six days. She is survived by her children, Betsy (Marty) Barnett of Eads, Brett (Cindy) Legg of Cheyenne Wells, and Dana (Karl) Sorton of Colorado Springs. She also leaves behind nine wonderful grandchildren including Kyle, Chad, Dain and Jordon Barnett of Eads; Matt, Brittni and Christian Legg of Cheyenne Wells; and Jacob and Laura Sorton of Colorado Springs. Four sisters and one brother also survive, including Mary Belle Palcic of Denver, Patsy (Clayton) Orton of Boulder, Yvonne Matson of Grand Junction, Dolores Rector of Eads, and Tom Price of Stratton. She also leaves behind a number of neices and nephews including Kristine (Gary) Rehm of Eads.
Jerri was preceded in death by her husband, Myrl E. Legg March 6, 1989, her parents, and two sisters Mary Isabelle and Joan Haglund, formerly of Eads.
An evening vigil was held at 7:00 p.m. May 30, 1999, and the funeral mass was said May 31 at 10:30 a.m. Both services were at the St. Augustine Catholic Church in Kit Carson with Father Tom Kloppenborg, C.M., officiating.Tim Hogan and Marilyn Ward provided the guitar and organ music for the services. Tom Price sang a special song, AA Little Spot In Heaven.@ Serving as casket bearers were Marty Barnett, Kyle Barnett, Karl Sorton, Matt Legg, Nick Price, Bill Price, Gary Rehm and Clayton Orton. Final committal services were held at the Eads Cemetery.
Memorial contributions may be sent to the Germaine A. Legg CAT SCAN Project at Weisbrod Memorial Hospital.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

James Reginald Lane, 68
James Reginald 'Reggie' (Jim) Lane of Shoshoni, Wyoming, passed away May 17, 1999, at Riverton Memorial Hospital. He was 68 years old.
Services were held, May 20 at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Riverton, Wyoming. Burial followed at Mountain View Cemetery in Riverton.
James Reginald Lane was born March 2, 1931, in Lamar, the son of James Elvin Lane and Velma Alverta (Neiman) Lane. He attended school in Eads, and married the former Geneva Rusher in Ordway May 21, 1950.
The family moved to Shoshoni 17 years ago, having lived in Rawlins, Wyoming, Lakin, Kansas, and Eads. Mr. Lane retired from Colorado Interstate Gas Company, after 41 years of employment with the firm.
He served as secretary of the Shoshoni Senior Citizens Center, was a member of the BPO Elks and enjoyed bowling, golf, woodworking and fishing.
Survivors include his wife, Geneva of Shoshoni; son James R. 'Randy' Lane of Saratoga; daughter Sharon K. Adams of Riverton; 10 grandchildren and six great grandchildren; sisters Alverta Scott, Doris Walther, Tressie Pittier, Janice Fleming, Pam Addington and Esther Brown.
He was preceded in death by his mother and father; a sister, Elda Brack; and grandson Clark Adams.
Services were under the direction of Davis Funeral Home.

Lynas Darrel Lang, 84
Lynas Lang, affectionately known as Lang or Pa-Pa was born to Clyde and Beulah Lang in Culver, Kansas, August 22, 1914. He had eight brothers and two sisters.
At the age of two, the family moved to Ranson, Kansas. In the early 1930's, they moved to Wakeeney, Kansas, where he worked at a junk yard and attended school. At the age of 16, he went to work for Trego County, Kansas.
May 1, 1939, at the age of 23, Lynas married Anna Marie Garvin. To this union he was blessed with two children, Janet Ruth McKnight of Eads, and Eddie Lang of Holly.
In 1945, he moved his family to Eads, where he worked on the Eldridge Ranch for one year. In 1946, Lynas went to work for Kiowa County as a mechanic, heavy equipment operator and road supervisor. It was due to Lynas and all his hard work and devotion that brought the county roads we drive on today and the many years of delicious fair barbecues. In 1984, after 40 years of dedication, Lynas retired. It was at this time in his life when he became a full time hunter and Pa-Pa.
Lynas loved to hunt and visit. Lynas also loved dogs of all kinds. He could sit and tell greyhound stories all day. Lynas would meet his son, Eddie, early every Sunday morning and go coyote hunting. It would always bring a smile to Lynas' face to know that not only did his only son, Eddie, enjoy hunting, but his only grandson, Mardell, still hunts coyotes to this day.
On days Lynas didn't hunt or go fishing, he was watching his grandchildren ride horses, having tea parties and playing a rough game of softball. After having tea and playtime with his girls, he would go to the truck stop to rest and have coffee. The truck stop was the place he would do his visiting with all his friends.
Another favorite past time of his was rodeos. When his grandkids took an interest in riding, he was right there to help them in any way, even if it was just cheering them on. Then it was back to the coffee shop to brag about what they had done.
Lynas became ill in 1992 and struggled with cancer and lung problems. Lynas fought to overcome his health problems. However, Lynas ran out of strength and succumbed his health and God's will December 31, 1998 at the age of 84 years, four months and nine days.
Besides his surviving wife, Marie; children Janet and Wayne McKnight and Eddie and Natalie Lang, he had five grandchildren, Angie Hollen, Mardell McKnight, and Sommer, Savannah and Skyla Lang and four great grandchildren, Ty, Brandy, Mandy and Michael Hollen.
Lynas will be sadly missed by his family and friends.
Funeral services for Lynas Darrel Lang were held Monday, January 4, 1999, at 11:00 a.m. at the Brown Funeral Home Chapel in Eads with L.D. Nelson officiating. Betty Crow played the piano prelude and postlude, as well as accompanying Doris Lessenden as she sang 'Room at the Cross' and 'Peace in the Valley.' Wayne Singer, a special friend of Lynas', read the obituary. Another close friend, Jimmy Bendorf, read a special tribute to Lynas that was written by Mary Marble. Serving as casket bearers were Jack Gentz, George King, Forrest Frazee, Gary Lang and Lonnie Lang. Serving as honorary casket bearers were Lynas' very good friends Lee Sheridan, George Crow, George Stoker, Roy Robertson, Roy Pearcey, Merle Frazee and Jimmy Bendorf. At the conclusion of the service at the funeral home, the large procession of family and friends accompanied Lynas to his final resting place in the Eads Cemetery. The procession was led by Harold McKnight in his 'Coyote Chaser' with his dogs. This is just as Lynas would have wanted it. After the final committal services, the family enjoyed a family meal provided by the ladies of the Rebekah Lodge.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Hallene Kleiboeker, 86
Hallene Kleiboeker was born in Lamar, Arkansas, January 30, 1913, the youngest of four daughters born to Claude and Jessie Christian. She entered the kingdom of heaven April 14, 1999 at the age of 86.
Hallene grew up and attended schools in Clarksville, Arkansas, and graduated from Clarksville High School in 1930. Growing up in Arkansas was hard work hoeing and picking cotton and raising vegetables on the Christian family farm. She often reminded her daughters of this when she thought they weren't putting enough 'elbow grease' into a job she had given them to do. There were also many stories told of fun times with her three sisters and their friends growing up in the Ozarks.
Hallene married John Kleiboeker of Kit Carson in Clarksville April 12, 1936. John brought his bride to the dusty plains of eastern Colorado, where they made their first homestead on a farm southeast of Kit Carson. In 1941, they moved onto the Kleiboeker family homestead, also southeast of Kit Carson. She and John farmed there until their retirement in 1973, at which time they moved into Kit Carson. Even though farming was a tough life, she commented often that she wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Hallene and John shared their hard times and fun times with their many wonderful friends and neighbors.
John and Hallene had two daughters, Ann and Jenness. Hallene was a loving and devoted mother, and was her daughters' best friend and biggest supporter, always providing encouragement, assistance and praise for any of their endeavors.
Hallene was an active member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Kit Carson, which she joined after her marriage to John; the Trinity Lutheran Ladies Aid and the Lutheran Women's Missionary League. She also taught Sunday school and vacation Bible school for many years. She was active in other community organizations. She was one of the charter members of the Busy Bee club, which celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 1998. She was an active member of the Kit Carson senior citizens group, where she liked to quilt and play cards. After John and Hallene moved to town, Hallene belonged to the Over 60 Card Club. Although she did not belong to the Wild Horse Club, she enjoyed attending their card parties whenever possible.
Hallene was know in the community for her baking. She loved to bake, especially bread and cookies. Her dinner rolls were frequently a special request for many dinners, bazaars or special occasions. Another favorite among Hallene's friends and family were her delicious cream pies with a meringue top.
Although Hallene never had formal music lessons, she played the piano by ear, and when her daughters took piano lessons, she learned to read music. The girls can tell you many stories about their practicing, and how they could never get by with anything.
Hallene was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, John; and her sister, Pauline Harris. She is survived by her daughter, Ann Crowell, and her husband, Peter, of Highlands Ranch; her daughter, Jenness Kleiboeker, of Annandale, Virginia and her friend, Gary Richardson, of Loveland; her sister, Gladys Meyer, of DeSoto, Texas; her sister, Beulah Revis, of Clarksville; six nephews; two nieces; many great nephews and great nieces; and a host of friends.
She was a loving and devoted mother, and a special lady to all who knew her.
Funeral services for Hallene Kleiboeker were held Saturday, April 17, 1999, at 10:30 a.m. at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Kit Carson, with Pastor Matthew Anderson officiating. Doris Lessenden and Virglyn Griswould provided the musical selections, 'I Am But a Stranger' and 'Lift High the Cross,' accompanied by Margaret Bloder. Serving as casket bearers were Rex Piper, Gerald Miner, Ray Borns, Darrell Schallenberger, Ronald White and Vern White. Honorary casket bearers were Clax Duvall, Ernie Jones, Milt Kent, Herman Schreivogel, Curtis Schrimp, Park Wood, Charles Oswald and Roger Evans. Final committal services were at the Kit Carson Cemetery in Kit Carson. Following the services, the family and their friends gathered at the community building for a meal and refreshments provided by the community.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Jacqueline Kay Ellicott, 39
Jacqueline Kay Ellicott was born May 5, 1959 at Grand Junction, Colorado to George H. and Dorothy M. Ellicott. She was the second of three children.
Shortly after she was born, the family moved to the ranch at Harrison, Nebraska. In January, 1961, the family moved again to Wray, Colorado, where her father was employed by Colorado State University Cooperative Extension. They later lived in Gunnison, Las Cruces, New Mexico, and a few months in Springfield, Colorado before moving to Eads in October, 1970, where Jacque finished school and graduated from Eads High School in 1977. She was very active in 4-H and successful in many 4-H projects; as well as school activities.
Jacque was married in the fall of 1977, to Eddie Osborne, and they resided in Greensburg, Kansas. Summer Dawn was born there in 1981. Jacque attended Dodge City Community College and obtained a two year Associates Degree with an A grade in every subject. She then attended St. Mary of the Plains College, working toward an advanced degree.
In 1984, they moved to Fort Collins where Jacque attended Colorado State University. During this time, the couple were divorced.
Jacque suffered a severe head injury in 1986 near Lusk, Wyoming, while driving to the ranch with Summer to visit her Grandmother. She was hospitalized at Fort Collins for several months, and Summer went to live with her grandparents at Eads. Eventually, Jacque was moved to Eads and resided there until she decided to move to Greeley in the fall of 1997. While in Eads, she was active in the United Methodist Church and assisted with Sunday School. She also worked part-time at Neoplan in Lamar where she was responsible for the care of the plants.
Jacque and her unborn son, Savino Rosalio Ellicott, died Friday morning, January 15, 1999 at the Northern Colorado Medical Center in Greeley, after being hit by a vehicle while walking near her apartment.
She is survived by her daughter, Summer Osborne; parents George and Dorothy of Eads, Colorado; son Tyler George Ellicott, grandmother, Lorena Ellicott of Crawford, Nebraska; her older brother Dave, wife Tammi and their son Matt, of Arkansas City, Kansas; younger brother Justin, his wife Ivy and their children Allison and Tanner of Wauneta, Nebraska, and several aunts, uncles and cousins on both sides of the family.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday, January 19 at the United Methodist Church in Harrison, Nebraska with Pastor Neal Kloppenborg officiating. Bader Funeral Home of Lusk was in charge of arrangements.
For those who wish, memorials to the Kiowa County 4-H Council or the Weisbrod Memorial Hospital in Eads, Colorado will be appreciated by the family.

William E. Cussins, 62
William E. Cussins, 62, passed away Monday, January 4, 1999 in Vallejo, California following a lengthy illness.
Born in Eads, Colorado on September 28, 1936, Mr. Cussins was a U.S. Army veteran and worked at Mare Island Naval Shipyard for 36 years until his retirement in 1991.
Mr. Cussins was a member of the First United Methodist Church and enjoyed gardening and using his computer. He is survived by his wife, Delores, a son, Christopher and a sister, Wilma Marshall all of Vallejo, California.
Mr. Cussins attended school in Haswell. Some will remember his grandparents, Newt and Elsie Tucker who lived approximately one mile west of Haswell.
Wiggins-Knipp Funeral Home of Vallejo, California was in charge of arrangements. Internment was private.

Gailen DeWayne Buck, 60
Gailen D. Buck, 60, of Castle Rock, died Saturday, February 27, 1999 at Porter Hospital in Denver.
Funeral services were held Tuesday, March 2, 1999 in Castle Rock and interment was at Ft. Wallace Cemetery in Wallace, Kansas on Wednesday, March 3, 1999.
Born January 7, 1939, in Eads, he was the son of Clyde and Elsie (Kelley) Buck. He married Lola Marie Moore on October 8, 1977, in Castle Rock. Mr. Buck worked as a road supervisor for Douglas County. He enjoyed traveling, especially to Branson, Missouri, to listen to country music. He also enjoyed bowling.
Mr. Buck moved to Castle Rock in 1972, then to Waldron, Arkansas, but returned to Castle Rock in 1984.
He was preceded in death by his father; a son, Chris Buck; a brother, Robert; and his father-in-law, Wayne 'Bill' Moore.
He is survived by his wife, of Castle Rock; his mother, of Pueblo West; a son, Kevin Buck, of Cheyenne Wells; his stepdaughters, Wendy Lear and her husband, John of Parker, Cindy Shadd and her husband, Robert of Astoria, Oregon, and Charity Galleylen of Castle Rock; his sisters, Pat Hansen and her husband, Neils, of Lakewood, Shirley Leinberger and her husband, Jim, of Arvada and Florence Covalt and her husband, Calvin, of New Iberia, Lousiana; his brothers, Elvin Buck and his wife, Lola, of Pueblo West, Jim Buck and his wife, Liz, of Edmond, Oklahoma, and Ed Buck and his wife, Lil, of Lakewood; his mother-in-law, Hazel Moore of Castle Rock; his brothers-in-law, Frank Moore and his wife, Chris, of Castle Rock and Vern Moore of Roundup, Montana.
Memorial contributions can be made in his name to the American Heart Association, 1280 S. Parker Road, Denver, Colorado 80231.
Andrews Caldwell Gibson Funeral Home Castle Rock was in charge of arrangements.

Madeline Barnett, 82
Madeline Barnett was born October 17, 1916, in Ellis, Kansas, to the union of Roea and William Johnson. At the age of six, Madeline moved with her family to Arlington where she attended school and later met Joe Barnett. June 26, 1935, Joe and Madeline were married and moved to Eads. They had three children: Gloria, Billy and Kay. Madeline was a homemaker and active through the years as a 4-H leader, Rainbow Sponsor, and a member of the Eastern Star. She taught tap dancing and made costumes for the dance recitals. She enjoyed sewing, reading books and p1aying the piano.
In 1963, Madeline and Joe moved to Pueblo, Colorado. After Joe retired from the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1970, they enjoyed those years camping and having family gatherings in their back yard. Joe and Madeline were married for 61 years before Joe passed away October 23, 1996.
Madeline Barnett is preceded in death by her husband, Joe Barnett; parents Roea and William Johnson, and a brother, Buddy Johnson.
She is survived by her brothers Doyle (Katherine) Johnson and Gene Johnson; a sister Shirley (Clem) Schrank; children, Gloria (Dick) Weatherford of Ft. Myers, Florida, Billy (Lucy) Barnett of Eads and Kay (Jim) Grebenc of Pueblo; seven grandchildren, Dena (Rick) Sutor, Neil (Connie) Richardson, Derek (Chantel) Weatherford, Marty (Betsy) Barnett, Suzette (Barry) Koch, Michael Garner and Michelle (Robert) Morris, as well as thirteen great grandchildren. Madeline Barnett passed away January 12, 1999, at the Sharmar Village Care Center in Pueblo. She was a devoted wife and a wonderful mother and grandmother. She will be dearly missed by all those who loved her.
Grave side funeral services for Madeline Barnett were held Saturday, January 16, 1999, at the Eads Cemetery at 11:00 a.m. with L. D. Nelson officiating. Serving as casket bearers were Marty Barnett, Kyle Barnett, Neil Richardson, Robert Morris, Mike Garner and Barry Koch.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Brown Funeral Home.

Robert Edward Anderson, 91
Robert Edward Anderson, 91, of Otis, passed away June 14, 1999 at the Porter Care Hospice in Littleton.
Robert was born on January 27, 1908 in Lebanon, Nebraska to Frank and Anna (Rice) Anderson. He was the middle child and only son in a family of five children. His sisters were: Hortense, Anna, Ethel, and June. When he was a small child his family traveled by covered wagon to Lisco, Nebraska where he grew up on a farm.
For many of his early years he considered himself to be a 'cowboy' and his experiences included being bucked off horses and being drug behind a hay rake.
After receiving a bachelors degree from Kearney State College in Kearney, Nebraska, Robert began a lifelong career in education. For the majority of his life he was the Superintendent of Schools in small towns in Nebraska, Wyoming, and Colorado. He retired from the Otis Schools in 1971.
While he was Superintendent in Goodview, Nebraska, Robert fell in love with Mildred Louise Hecox, a teacher at his school. They were married on August 10, 1936, at the Banner Methodist Church south of Gothenburg, Nebraska. Two children were born to this union: Rita Jean and Nancy Jo.
Robert loved to play checkers and tennis, camp in the mountains, hunt deer, elk, and pheasant, and fly fish. He participated in many fishing contests within his family between the 'fly' fishermen and the 'worm' fishermen. His grandchildren looked forward to these contests.
Following retirement, Robert's most enjoyable moments included yearly camping trips with his daughters, their husbands, and his grandchildren. Robert and Mildred traveled within and outside the United States and spent many winters in Green Valley, Arizona. One highlight was a hot-air balloon ride when he was 80 years old.
In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by his four sisters: Hortense Law, Anna Rowland, Ethel Allen, and June Moyers.
He is survived by his wife, Mildred Louise Anderson; two daughters, Rita Jean Basham and Nancy Jo Crow; five grandchildren, Mark Earl Basham, Stephen Edward Basham, Matthew John Basham, Dennis Blaine Crow, Wendy Lee Crow; one foster grandchild, Robert Alexander Blanchard; and one great granddaughter, Cassidy Aurelia Basham.
Funeral services were conducted June 17, 1999, at 11:00 a.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in Otis with Rev. Robert Miller officiating. Carol Feather, organist, accompanied Jennifer, Jesse, and Justin Feather as they sang 'Amazing Grace' and 'In the Garden.' Casket bearers were John, Mark, Matthew and Stephen Basham, Robert Blanchard, Dennis, Norman and Wendy Crow. Grave side services and interment were held June 19, 1999, at 10:00 a.m. at the Peckham Cemetery south of Gothenburg, Nebraska, with Pastor Bill Bicket officiating.
Memorial donations in Robert's name may be made to the First Presbyterian Church in Otis, or to the Otis Lions Club.
Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Yeamens & Gordon Memorial Chapel.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: