Company Logo


Green Bar

Friends, family remember Fulgencia Esquer Pacheco

DOWNEY-A visitation will by held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a rosary at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 14, at the chapel of Miller-Mies Mortuary for Fulgencia Esquer Pacheco a homemaker and 55 year Downey resident.

She was 94, born in Sonora, Mexico, and died in Downey Nov. 9.

A member of St. Raymond's Catholic Church, she was a co-founder of the Guadalupina Society at St. Emydius Catholic Church and was a volunteer at St. Francis Medical Center.

Survivors include sons and daughters Rafael Esquer (Ralph), Demetrio Pacheco, Ramon (Ray) Pacheco, sister Consuelo Pacheco, Prank E. Pacheco, Mary Louise Mohler, Mary Ann Pacheco, and loving grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren as well as many loving friends and care-giver Socorro Quintero.

A Mass will be heard at 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 15, at St. Raymond's Catholic Church. Rev. Frank Chavez will officiate.

Burial will follow at All Souls Cemetery in Long Beach. Arrangements are by the Miller-Mies Mortuary of Downey.

Dean Romero services at age 80 in Downey

DOWNEY-Funeral services were held Thursday, Nov. 11, at the Downey 4th Ward Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for Dean Romero, a former employee of Sammons & Sons in Lynwood and a Downey resident since 1951.

He was 80, born May 2, 1919 in Fairview, Utah, and died Nov. 6 in Downey.

During World War II he worked for the Todd Shipyard in San Francisco and Western Pipe and Steel in Vernon.

He was a member of the Downey 4th Ward Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He and his wife of 53 years were married Oct. 5, 1946 in Las Vegas, and later solemnized their vows Nov. 17, 1972 in the Los Angeles Morman Temple.

He and his wife, Helen Mary Steiger Romero, lived in Downey where she worked as a secretary on the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs for Rockwell International.

Survivors include his wife, Helen; his brothers, Richard of Tooele, Utah, Earl of Spanish Fork, Utah, and Vernile Romero of Florida; sisters May Truscott of Nephi, Utah, Viola Lund of Fountain Green, Utah, Ella Rodriguez of Provo, Utah, and Arvilla Goetz of Orem, Utah.

He was preceded in death by an infant child, Garry Dean Romero.

Services will be held Monday, Nov. 15, at 11 a.m. at the Ursenbach Funeral Home in Mt. Pleasant, Utah, with a visitation one hour prior to services. Burial will follow in Fairview City Cemetery, Fairview, Utah. Arrangements are by the Allen-English & Estrada Funeral Service of Bell Gardens.

Former teacher Phyllis Reitzel funeral today

DOWNEY-Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. today, (Nov. 12), at the Miller-Mies Mortuary Chapel for Phyllis Babcock Reitzel, a past president of the Downey Emblem Club and a former Downey school teacher.

She was a resident of Downey for 52 years. Born in Austin, Minnesota, she died Nov. 7. She retired as a teacher here in 1976.

She served on various community project committees since 1957.

Survivors include her daughter, Kay; husband Al; a nephew, Gary Babcock of Mission Viejo; and hundreds of friends.

Burial will follow at Rose Hills Memorial Park.

Jim Lyman Davis Jr. mourned by many here

DOWNEY-At his wish, the remains of Jim Lyman Davis, Jr., a member of the Elks and the Downey Amateur Radio Club will be scattered at sea.

He was born Aug. 31, 1931 in Memphis, Tennessee to Jim L. Davis, Sr. and Ruth Jackson Davis, and died Nov. 4. He graduated from Southside High School in 1949, then Memphis State University and the U.S. Air Force.

He was married to his wife, Lora, in 1950. They moved to Southern California in 1955. He was an avid traveler, sailor and softball player, and took great joy in attending his grandchildren's sports, music and dance events.

Survivors include his wife, Lora; his brothers, Jack and William; sons Jim, Larry and John; grandchildren Michael, Amy, Joel and Scott; and great-grandson Alex.

Friends, family recall Dale O. Tally of Downey

DOWNEY-Friends and family held a celebration of life in memory of Dale O. Tally at his Downey home Nov. 8.

A Downey resident for 46 years, Tally died Nov. 2 at the age of 90.

He was born on a ranch in Jakeway, Kansas Dec. 27, 1909. He lived the life of a rancher's son with two brothers and a sister; Vinton, Merle and Edith until his mother took the children to Mason City, Iowa when he was 14. The early ranch life and old fashioned morality learned there shaped much of the rest of his life.

In Iowa he worked in a meat packing plant run by his stepfather. In 1924, following the stepfather, his mother took the family, which now included a new baby girl, Marjory Ann, by car to California. The family had little money on the long trip and would camp evenings along the highway. On arriving in California he and the family worked in a poultry shop. In his off-hours he would hunt for deer and rabbit to insure meat for the family.

In the summer of 1929 he met the love of his life, Minnie, to whom he was to be married for 67 years.

When the Great Depression ground the nation's economy to a halt, he searched for work. He and his younger brother, Merle, rode the rails across America. He often spoke of the brutality of the railroad bulls who would beat the men they caught. He was arrested several times as a vagrant, but when he found work, he was able to send money home to his mother to support the family.

In 1932 he married Minnie. He and his brothers would figure how to make work to earn a living. They would haul sawdust from wood mills, selling it to butcher shops, bid on WPA work, and dig ditches. At one point he became a boxer at the South Gate Arena. Under the name of the K.O. Kid he had 21 fights with 21 knockouts. But his boxing career ended when he found his manager was cheating on him and when Minnie discovered he was fighting. She insisted he get a "real" job.

He chose the railroad. He asked for work each day, and after about six months the foreman accepted him. He began as a swamper, cleaning the hot steam engine boilers. He worked there 22 years, rising from swamper to journeyman machinist.

In 1942, with a wife and three children, at the age of 32 he enlisted as part of the war effort. He spent four years on P.T. boats in the Aleutian Islands and New Guinea. He had several boats shot out from under him. He lamented the terrible waste of war and loss of life, but always felt the war effort and his years in it important.

After World War II he returned to work for the Union Pacific until the early 1950s. From then until his retirement in 1975 he held foreman jobs at United States Steel and Alcoa Aluminum. He often laughed about the U.S. Steel shutdown in Los Angeles, calling himself the last man out the gate.

From 1975 to 1995 he and Minnie traveled America in their camper, but they always returned to their home in Downey. Here they would visit with children, family and friends. The trips ended when Minnie was diagnosed with arterial sclerosis. He cared for his wife at home.

He loved to work as a pastime. There was not a machine made he could not run or fix. And he never missed an election. He was greatly loved and respected by those who knew him.

Survivors include his wife, Minnie of Downey; his daughters, Ellen Tubbs of Lakehead, California, Betty McMillan of Riverside; a son, Bill Tally of Downey; seven grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren; as well as many nephews, nieces and in-laws.

End Obituaries