Miscellaneous Orange County, California Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Aug. 10
Timon Evans Owens Jr.
Longtime Irvine resident Timon Evans Owens Jr. died Aug. 1 of heart disease. He was 75.
Services were planned for Friday, Aug. 11, at 11 a.m. at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Tustin. Arrangements are by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin. Burial will be at San Gabriel Cemetery.
Mr. Owens was a civil engineer for Caltrans and had lived in Orange County 30 years.
He is survived by his sister and brother-in-law, Margaret and John Meracle; his niece and her husband, Jodi and Kris Stoutsenberger; his nephew, John E. Meracle; and his great nephew, Charles Buckley.

Aug. 3
Lynne Davanzo
Longtime Irvine resident Lynne Davanzo died July 28 from complications arising from her battle with breast cancer. She was not in pain and made a peaceful transition, according to her sons, Paolo and Marco Davanzo.
A remembrance of Mrs. Davanzo is planned for Aug. 27 at 6 p.m. at the UC Irvine University Club. Friends and family are invited to celebrate her life. Anyone who would like to attend is asked to RSVP at (949) 786-6387.
Mrs. Davanzo was born Evelyn Marie McLaughlin to a small Irish working-class family in Toronto, Canada. Her father died at an early age and she spent much of her youth caring for her family. She remained in Toronto for her childhood and early adult life.
In the early 1960s, she was befriended by Livio Davanzo, a young Italian immigrant. He was smitten by her charm and attracted by her fiery personality, according to their sons. Their chemistry was volatile -- an Irish beauty and an Italian intellectual. The two were married in the summer of 1965.
The newlyweds eventually traveled and lived in Texas, New Jersey, Paris, Rome, Torino, Sicily, Kuwait, Manchester and Ohio.
"My father's work and my mother's thirst for experience would take them from Bohemian apartments in Montmartre to seaside villas perched over the Mediterranean Sea. They were married to the wind and embraced every new opportunity with optimism," said their son Paolo.
In 1976, with their two sons, the couple settled in University Park. Mrs. Davanzo had tired of traveling and was ready to put roots into a new community.
While her sons were growing up, she divided her time volunteering for various causes.
At first she was primarily interested in education. She was a school aide at University Park Elementary School and also involved in the PTA.
Her interests became more diverse as the family grew up. She became involved in UNICEF, helping to open the organization's first store in Irvine.
As a city council aide to Mayor Larry Agran, she was interested in homeless issues and equal rights for all people. As president of the University Club at UCI, she helped oversee expansion efforts. She was also heavily involved with the Orange County Public Library System, women's rights, the United Nations Association and Model United Nations programs around the state.
In 1988 she returned to the working world and began a 12-year career at UCI where she worked in the Physical Sciences Department.
"Lynne was a selfless person who was determined to bring hope and beauty to those in need. She was a living saint who taught her children 'give back to the system' because they had been blessed with so much. She will be missed," said her son Marco.
In lieu of flowers, a fund has been set up to aid in the construction of a memorial park at the University Park Public Library. This will be a place, said her sons, where all citizens of Irvine will be able to go and reflect on the beauty of life. It is hoped, they added, that it will serve as a place where people can acknowledge deaths, births, graduations and other milestones.
Contributions may be sent to: Friends of the Irvine Public Library, Memorial Garden, 4512 Sandburg Way, Irvine, Calif. 92612. Checks should be made out to "Friends of the University Park Library," with "Lynne Davanzo" in the memo portion.
Mrs. Davanzo is survived by her two sons, Marco and Paolo Davanzo, of Irvine.

July 27
Betty Lou Connoley
Longtime Irvine resident Betty Lou Connoley died July 20 after a brief illness. She was 76.
A memorial mass will be celebrated Friday, July 28, at 10 a.m. at San Francisco Solano Catholic Church, 22082 Antonio Parkway, Rancho Santa Margarita. A gathering for family and friends will follow.
Mrs. Connoley was born Jan. 19, 1924, in Vail, Iowa, to Ellen and Bart Mitchell. She was the youngest of five children. In her youth the family moved to San Diego. Betty Lou married Roy Gilmore in 1948. She worked as an interior decorator in San Diego for many years. She and Roy had one daughter, Nancy Ellen Gilmore.
She and Mr. Gilmore divorced and she later married Bill Connoley of San Diego. She moved to Orange County in the 1970s and lived in Rancho San Joaquin in Irvine for about 15 years. She owned an interior decorating shop, "Betty Lou Interiors," in Corona Del Mar. 
"She loved her work and was so happy with her own shop," said her niece Vicky Roberts.
After selling her business she worked part-time for CPA Clifford Wayne until a few years ago.
Mrs. Connoley was a vivacious woman who loved to share her warm smile and laughter with everyone she came in contact with. "Her love and laughter made Betty Lou the special person that she was," said her niece. "She was very outgoing, always the life of the party and everyone liked to be around her."
Also a caring person, she went to San Diego to care for her sister, Rita Ann Walther, in her final illness. She also lost her beloved daughter, Nancy, last year.
"The love of her life was her daughter," commented her niece.
She also attended a local Catholic Church.
Mrs. Connoley was preceded in death by her parents; her daughter, Nancy Ellen Gilmore Doyle in 1999; her two sisters Mary Helen Beck and Rita Ann Walther; her two brothers Bart Mitchell and Welch Mitchell.
She is survived by her niece, Vicki Roberts of Fruita, Colo.; her nephews, Bill Beck of Bandon, Ore., John Beck of San Juan Capistrano, and Jerry Beck of Laguna Hills, and many great nephews and great nieces.
At her request her body was donated to Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda for medical research, as were her two sisters Mary Helen and Rita Ann, her brother-in-law, Harold Beck, and her niece, Joan Ellen Beck Critzman.

Shun Cheng
Irvine resident Shun Cheng died July 13 of a ruptured gallbladder. He had just turned 81.
Mr. Cheng was born July 10, 1919, in Wu Jiang, China. He received his bachelor's degree in 1942 from Northwestern Engineering College in China. He came to the United States about 1949 and received a master's degree in mechanics from the University of Michigan in 1951. He earned his doctoral degree in 1959 from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and was hired there as an assistant professor in 1960.
He was recognized as an international authority in the theory of structural plates and shells. In addition to his own research and writing, he served as a reviewer for several scholarly journals, publishers and the National Science Foundation.
He was active in several professional societies, including Sigma Xi, American Society of Engineers and the American Society of Aeronautics and Astronautics. He received a certificate in 1984 from the U.S. Army acknowledging his scientific contributions to the Army missile program. He was given emeritus status at the university when he retired in 1995. 
Mr. Cheng and his wife, Ruby, were married in China just after World War II. She died in Wisconsin about five years ago. Mr. Cheng moved to Irvine to live with his niece, Frances Cheng, about four years ago.
"His whole life was research and teaching," said his nephew, Jim Cheng, who added that his uncle was a quiet man who liked to read in his spare time.
Services were held at Saddleback Chapel, Tustin. Burial was to be at El Toro Memorial Park, Lake Forest.
Mr. Cheng is survived by his brothers, Simon Cheng of Laguna Niguel and Shu Guan Cheng of China; his sister, Wain Lian Cheng of China; his niece, Frances F. Cheng of Irvine; and his nephews, Jim Cheng of Rancho Santa Margarita and Charles Cheng of Rancho Cucamonga.

Maire Furniss
Maire Furniss, a longtime resident of Tustin Meadows who recently moved to West Irvine, died July 25. She died of complications after surgery on her lungs.
Mrs. Furniss was born in Ireland Oct. 25, 1922. Her father, John Keenan, was a lawyer and her mother, Catherine, was a nurse who traveled to Africa during World War I. She had two sisters, Joan and Kay, and one brother, John. Mrs. Furniss attended a number of schools, including Trinity College in Dublin.
On April 16, 1946, she married Clinton Furniss, an American Army officer she met during World War II. They lived in Germany and the United States while raising three children, Michael, Sean and Kathleen. Eventually, they settled in Southern California and had a fourth child, Maureen, who graduated from Tustin High School in 1979. A number of grandchildren followed.
Mrs. Furniss was a stay-at-home mom for many years, but when her youngest child was a teen-ager, she went back to college. She earned a degree in nutrition at Orange Coast College, then went on to earn an accounting degree at California State University, Fullerton, with a 4.0 grade average. She then worked for H & R Block as a tax preparer, managing the Tustin office at El Camino Plaza. After retiring from this job, Mrs. Furniss became active in the Saint Cecilia's Craft Ladies group and also the Friends of the Library at Heritage Park in Irvine.
One of her greatest loves, aside from being with her family, was travel. She traveled through Europe, plus took trips to China, Russia, and Tahiti. Just a few weeks before her death, she went to Annecy, France, and Vienna, Austria, for two weeks. 
It was her dream to go to Vienna, but lung cancer two years ago made her think it never would happen.
"Maire was a strong spirited woman known for her wry sense of humor and generosity. She was hopeful that this surgery would help restore her health to some extent and she went into it with optimism, despite the risks," according to her daughter, Maureen.
"Maire was the cornerstone of her family and gave generously to her loved ones in every respect; in particular, she will be remembered for her chocolate chip cookies, her love of candy, and the Christmas stockings she made each member of the family," her daughter added.
An open viewing is scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, July 28, at Saddleback Chapel on Main Street in Tustin, for friends and family who wish to pay their last respects.
A memorial service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, July 29, also at Saddleback Chapel. Guests are invited to attend a reception at her home afterwards beginning at noon. No graveside service is planned, but on Monday her family will gather at the Riverside National Cemetery, where Mrs. Furniss is to be buried next to her husband.
The family suggested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the American Cancer Society.

July 13
Dongchul Kim
Dongchul Kim, an Irvine resident died June 15 of respiratory failure. He was 52.
Mr. Kim was born April 14, 1948, in Soeul, Korea. He had lived in Irvine for 19 years and was a professor at South Baylor University.
Services were held June 19 at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church in Irvine. Burial was at Riverside National Cemetery, Riverside. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel in Tustin.
Mr. Kim is survived by his wife, Yoonhwa Kim; his daughter, Joanne Kim; his son, Jason Kim; his brother, Michael Kim; and his sisters, Hyesil Chung and Nancy H. Kim.

July 6
Dorothy R. Keen
Longtime Irvine resident Dorothy R. Keen died June 22 of acute leukemia. She was 78 and an active member of the senior community.
Until her recent illness forced her to resign, Mrs. Keen was on the board of directors of the Irvine Senior Foundation. She served as secretary and on the finance committee. She and her husband also enjoyed ballroom dancing at the Lakeview Senior Center on Thursdays.
Mrs. Keen was born May 22, 1922, in North Dakota. She grew up in Minnesota, graduating valedictorian of her high school class. She went to college later in life, and at age 49 graduated summa cum laude from California State University at Fullerton.
Upon retirement as a Crocker Bank vice president, Mrs. Keen became a self-described computer nerd. She also enjoyed working out at the Newport Beach Athletic Club for Women. Mrs. Keen and her husband, Al, celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary in October. Two years ago, they were delighted to become grandparents when their son, Michael, and his wife, Kerry, had a daughter, Katelyn.
Private services have been held. Arrangements were by Pacific View Mortuary, Newport Beach.
Mrs. Keen is survived by her husband, Al; her son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Kerry of Sunnyvale; her daughter and son-in-law, Tricia and Bruce of Mountain View; her twin brother, Don of Carson; and her granddaughter, Katelyn. In lieu of flowers, the family asked that donation be made to the Irvine Senior Foundation, P.O. Box 19575, Irvine 92623-9575.

June 15
Wilbur W. Thompson
Longtime Irvine resident Wilbur W. Thompson died June 15 at his Deerfield home. He had battled cancer for about a year.
Known to many as Wil, Mr. Thompson was also known as "O Blue" by some for the old 1955 blue Ford pickup he drove in his younger years. He was 77 when he died.
Mr. Thompson was well-loved in Irvine and active for many years in the Irvine Community Theater. A true lover of theater, he wrote and directed three plays and performed in many others. He also served as president of the group and received the Irvine Senior Citizens Distinguished Service Award.
He was born Jan. 8, 1923, in Casper, Wyo. He served in the Wyoming National Guard before coming to California when he was 16. He finished school in Los Angeles and then joined the Army Air Corps' Technical Training Command during World War II. After the service, he worked on aircraft until he signed on at the Irvine cattle ranch as a cowboy. It was there he met his wife, Elizabeth. 
They married in 1945 and raised their three children together.
They moved to Santa Ana after they married and Mr. Thompson worked at the El Toro Marine Corps Air Station as a civil service planner and estimator. He retired in 1979.
Always active in the community, he was a Little League coach, first chief of the Indian Y Guides and a Mason at Jubilee Lodge 604. He served on the board of the El Toro Credit Union and was president of his homeowners association. He was also a graduate of Golden West College.
In his spare time, Mr. Thompson loved to play golf and watching all sports. He also liked woodcarving and took a first prize at the Orange County Fair. Most of all he loved people.
"Wil never met a stranger," said his daughter, Nancy Lutz.
Services were held June 22 at Waverly Chapel, Santa Ana. Interment was at Fairhaven Cemetery.
Mr. Thompson is survived by his wife, Elizabeth "Betty" Thompson, of Irvine; his daughter, Nancy Lutz, of Santa Ana; his son, Keith Thompson, of Orange; his brothers, Walt Thompson of San Diego and Jay Thompson of Texas.
The family asked that in lieu of flowers contributions be made to the Orange County Cancer Education and Research Foundation, 11190 Warner Ave. #301, Fountain Valley 92708, (714) 966-5005.

Susanne Ryan Wiegand
Longtime Irvine elementary school principal Susanne Ryan Wiegand died June 14 at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, just four days short of her 62nd birthday. The retired principal of Deerfield and East Shore elementary schools was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago.
Mrs. Wiegand was born June 18, 1938, in San Diego, where she lived through her college years at San Diego State University. She went on to earn a master's degree in administration from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
After college, she taught in the Tustin area before taking a principal's position in northern California. She returned to Orange County in 1980 to be principal at Deerfield Elementary School in Irvine. Several years before her retirement in 1998 she went to Eastshore Elementary School. She lived with her family in Newport Beach since the late 1970s.
Mrs. Wiegand loved her work with teachers and children but had other passions as well. After her retirement she began driving her red Formula Ford open-wheel race car, No. 4, in vintage auto racing events throughout California and Nevada. She even scheduled her cancer treatments around the racing schedule during the year she was ill.
Services were held June 20 at Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church in Newport Beach. Arrangements were by Pacific View Mortuary, Newport Beach.
Mrs. Wiegand is survived by her husband, Roy Wiegand, of Newport Beach; her stepchildren, Bob Wiegand of San Diego and Ruth Burke of Irvine; her brother, Frank Ryan, of Westminster; and her grandson, Adam Wiegand, of San Diego; and her granddaughter, Sierra Burke, who is a second grader at her grandmother's old school, Deerfield Elementary.

June 15
Helene E. Perry
The celebration of life in memory of Irvine resident Helene Elaine "Lynn" Perry was filled with color. Family members had gathered about 30 of the more than 60 afghans she had crocheted to display at the service.
She died June 5 at age 81 at Irvine Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized since suffering a heart attack and stroke May 22. 
Mrs. Perry was known for her afghans, said her son Ron Perry of Irvine. Whenever someone joined the family or became close to the family, she made a gift of an afghan.
Many had intricate patterns that she designed herself. One of her most memorable crocheting projects was a king-size bedspread, finished about 1990, done after a pattern and a few rows of work found in a friend's attic, where it had been stored since 1935. The pattern was from a World's Fair, possibly in New York, with about 80 three-dimensional roses. She ordered new thread from the original company and redid the spread over two years. Her husband, Les had to lift the heavy project for her when she worked on it and when it was finished it took four to hold it up for photographing. She gave the finished spread back to her friend.
Mrs. Perry was born Helene Elaine Bissonnette Dec. 14, 1918, in Saint Boniface, Manitoba, Canada. Her family moved to the San Gabriel Valley when she was a young child. She grew up among the orange groves and gardens of Monterey Park. In 1938 she married Les Perry and they made their home in Monterey Park.
The couple and their growing family moved frequently. Mr. Perry built a home for them in El Monte, but liked to move into older homes, work on them and resell. They lived in many Southern California cities before settling for 23 years on a mountain top at Lake Isabella. They moved from there to Irvine about five years ago to live with their son, Ron, and his family and then established their own home at the Inn at Woodbridge.
Mrs. Perry was an outgoing person, said her son, and she was happy to move to Irvine and made many friends. She and her husband were somewhat legendary in their son's Irvine Groves neighborhood, known as the older couple who always walked hand-in-hand.
With four children to raise, Mrs. Perry did not have much time to work outside of her home. However, she did work as a teacher of disabled children for about four years. One of the highlights of that work was "bringing out" an autistic boy of about 11, who had not spoken or communicated effectively before.
Mrs. Perry was famous in the family for her pies and could make "every imaginable type," according to her son. Just a few months ago she made 10 different kinds of pie for her granddaughter's going-away party.
Spiritual life was important to Mrs. Perry all her life and she was a devout Catholic, said her son. She was a member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Irvine. Her son remembered that no matter where the family was on a weekend, even on vacation in an out-of-the-way place, she always found a place to attend Mass.
She is survived by her husband, Les Perry, of Irvine; her three sons, Ron Perry of Irvine, Ken Perry of Granada Hills, and Mike Perry of Portland, Ore.; her daughter, Lynette Perry, of Julian; seven grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Amy Kipp Muir
Irvine resident Amy Kipp Muir died June 1 at her Northwood home after a battle with cancer. Her melanoma had started with a mole on her shoulder three years ago. She was 39.
She was born Aug. 11, 1959, in Salt Lake City, Utah. She grew up there and attended University of Utah, where she studied art and theater. She worked as an actress both professionally and as an amateur beginning in her early teens.
While at the university, she met Scott Muir. They married in 1983 and went to Michigan where Mr. Muir went to graduate school. They then moved to Seattle before coming to Irvine and settling in Northwood in 1988.
Mrs. Muir made her life as a homemaker, raising her four children. She volunteered at both El Camino Real and Westwood Basics Plus elementary schools.
She supported her kids when they played baseball and soccer, doing things like making banners for the teams. She was active at the family's church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Irvine Stake, involved very much with youth and in charge of the group for girls ages 12 to 18.
In her spare time she still enjoyed painting water colors and doing murals for people in their homes. She also liked to arrange flowers, said her husband.
She was an outgoing person and her husband said her positive spirit marked her 11-month battle after the return of her cancer last summer.
Services were held June 5 at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Irvine. Burial was at Pacific View Memorial Park, Newport Beach, with arrangements by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
Mrs. Muir is survived by her husband, Scott K. Muir, of Irvine; her daughters, Emily Muir and Lindsey Muir, both of Irvine; her sons, Kipp S. Muir and Tyler R. Muir, both of Irvine; her parents, Carman E. and Marilyn L. Kipp, of Salt Lake City; her brothers, Bruce Kipp and Blake Kipp of Salt Lake City and Scott Kipp of Phoenix, Ariz.; and her sister, Kathy Clayton, of Irvine.
The family asked that memorial donations be made to Vitas Hospice Charitable Fund, PMB 328, 11301 Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles 90064-11615.

Oct. 5
Beverly J. Howard Barrington
Beverly J. Howard Barrington, 70, lived her life to the fullest up to the moment she died, said her daughter Anne Hartikka. She died in her Irvine home Sept. 26. There was a baked potato in the oven, a filet mignon thawing on the counter and she was playing her favorite Mah-Jongg computer game when she collapsed and died of natural causes.
She had plans for travel in October to see her sister in Connecticut and daughter and son-in-law in Missouri. All her Christmas shopping was done, gifts stored in her closet ready to be given.
Mrs. Barrington was active in Tustin, though she moved to Irvine about 10 years ago. She was the 1998 Tustin Woman of the Year, riding in the 1999 Tustin Tiller Days parade.
"Bev was a very outgoing, vivacious person," said her friend Cheryl Cady. "She was into everything in Tustin, the Tustin Tiller Days Committee, the Miss Tustin Committee, the Chili Cook-off Committee, and in the Tustin Host Lions Club."
She was one who "liked to get in there and do the work, always ready to help," added her friend.
Mrs. Barrington was born Oct. 29, 1929, in Hartford, Conn. She graduated from high school there and then earned a bachelor's degree in dental hygiene. She taught in the field at the University of Bridgeport. She and Ed Howard were married in about 1952 and they moved to Huntington Beach in 1965.
After they divorced, she returned to school in 1971 at Lawton School in Santa Ana to earn her California license in dental hygiene. The school hired her as a teacher and she then became the director of the school. 
When United Education Systems purchased the school, she became head of accreditation for all the company's schools.
Mrs. Barrington left that job about 1990 and took a job as ombudsman for the Orange County Council on Aging. She traveled to many nursing homes in the county to work with residents.
She moved to Tustin Meadows about 1980. About 1982, she married Ron Barrington, the love of her life, according to her daughter. After he died in 1989, she moved to Windwood in Irvine.
Mrs. Barrington was especially devoted to her black cockapoo, Amy, said her daughter.
"She loved her dog. She walked her around every day. Amy was her baby and her pride and joy," said her friend, who has found a new home for the 10-year-old dog.
Services were held Wednesday, Oct. 4, at Saddleback Chapel in Tustin. Interment was to be private.
Mrs. Barrington is survived by her daughter, Anne Hartikka of Lake St. Louis, Mo.; and her sister, Barbara Ann McConnell of Connecticut.

Ruth B. Farrell
Irvine resident Ruth B. Farrell died Oct. 3 at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange. She had suffered from heart and lung disease for several years and her lungs finally gave out with pneumonia, according to her daughter Terese Farrell.
Services are planned for Friday, Oct. 6, at 11 a.m. at Saddleback Chapel in Tustin. Burial will be at Ascension Cemetery, Lake Forest.
Mrs. Farrell was born Dec. 21, 1921, in San Diego County, where her father was a building contractor and inspector. She graduated from high school there. In 1946 she married William Farrell who was in the Marine Corps stationed in San Diego. They met on a blind date.
As a military family the Farrells moved often, sometimes every year. While her husband was in Korea about 1952, they purchased their first home in Tustin. Tustin remained their home base while Col. Farrell was in the Marines, despite continued moves, once to China, and in many locations in the United States. Col. Farrell was assigned to El Toro Marine Base from 1971 to 1974. He retired from the service in 1974 and was a substitute teacher in Irvine and Tustin.
The Farrells moved to Irvine in 1976. In the 1970s Mrs. Farrell attended UC Irvine to earn a certificate in substance abuse counseling. She spent uncounted hours for many years as a volunteer substance abuse counselor. The counseling was a big part of her life, said her daughter.
"She was a very outgoing, generous person, a great judge of character, and very giving," her daughter added.
Mrs. Farrell is survived by her husband, retired Marine Corps Col. William Farrell, of Irvine; her two sons, Michael Farrell of Fresno, and Thomas Farrell of Miramar; her daughter, Terese Farrell of Whittier; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Sept. 28
Bessie Maud Lindahl
Irvine resident Bessie Maud Lindahl died Sept. 22 surrounded at home by her husband and daughters. She had been diagnosed with brain cancer in June. She was 69.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, Sept. 30, at 11 a.m. at Peace Lutheran Church, 18542 Vanderlip, a block south of 17th Street between Holt and Newport Boulevard in Tustin. Pastor John "Jim" Kuntz will preside. The Lindahls were members of the church.
Mrs. Lindahl was born May 12, 1931, in Ellisburg in the dairy farming area of upstate New York. She graduated from high school in nearby Theresa and went to business college. She worked as a medical stenographer at Mercy Hospital in Watertown, N.Y.
She met her husband, Robert Lindahl, when he was at Camp Drum, near Watertown. They married at the camp July 11, 1953. In 1955, the couple moved to the Chicago area. They lived in the northside suburbs, where their three daughters were born, until moving to California in 1968. 
Mrs. Lindahl was the family giver and caretaker, according to her daughters, and caring for her children was a large part of her life. The oldest daughter, Debbie, received severe head injuries in a car accident when she was 7-weeks-old and required a great deal of care. Mrs. Lindahl was determined that her daughter would beat the odds and not only survive but remain with the family. That goal was accomplished and Debbie still lives with her family in Irvine.
Mrs. Lindahl loved cooking and collecting cookbooks. At one time she had more than 700 books in her collection. She made wonderful pies, said her husband. She and her youngest daughter, Donna, enjoyed experimenting together with new recipes and herbs.
Mrs. Lindahl is survived by her husband, Robert Lindahl of Irvine; her three daughters, Deborah Lindahl of Irvine, Karen Johnsen of Harrisburg, Pa., and Donna Lindahl of Irvine.
The family asked that, in lieu of flowers, memorial donations be made to the American Cancer Society (800) 227-2345.

Sept. 14
Katrina Yang
Many people are unaware that an American citizen, an Irvine girl, died in the earthquake of Sept. 21, 1999, in Taiwan. An interment ceremony will be held next week in Taiwan for Katrina Yang, 8, who lived in Woodbridge in Irvine.
Katrina was visiting her father, Jack Yang, in Tai-chung, Taiwan, when the earthquake struck. She was killed as she slept, along with as many as 3,000 others.
Katrina was born Sept. 13, 1991, in Monterey Park. She was 4 and only spoke Chinese when she and her mother, Miranda Ting, came to live in Woodbridge with Danny Kuo. She attended Eastshore Elementary School.
"She was so mature, so sweet and lived life to the fullest. Katrina loved school and her teachers at Eastshore were so good to her," said Mr. Kuo. 
"Katrina was very respectful and attentive in the home. She'd help make dinner and clean her room. She loved being active and liked it when I took her to Palace Park, Tustin Golf Club, ice skating at the skating rink and to Woodbridge Park to feed the ducks. Katrina had so much spirit and a strong desire to live and learn," he added.
In addition to Mr. Kuo, who she called Uncle, Katrina is survived by her father, Jack Yang of Taiwan; and her mother, Miranda Ting.

Sept. 7
Gerhard Karl Kalisch
A funeral service is planned for Monday, Sept. 11, at 3 p.m. for Irvine resident and early UC Irvine faculty member Gerhard Karl Kalisch. He died Aug. 29 at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, of natural causes. He was 85. The service will be in the chapel at Pacific View Memorial Park in Newport Beach.
A memorial service is planned for a later date at UCI.
Mr. Kalisch was a warm, gentle man who also possessed an iron will when it came to accomplishing his goals. He was born Dec. 21, 1914, in Breslau, Germany, which is now part of Poland, and finished high school there. 
Because of Hitler's rise to power, he left for France in 1933. He expected his mother and sister to follow within two weeks but they were taken by the Nazis. He lost all of his family during the war except one aunt who escaped to England. He spent four years in France as a refugee and part-time farm hand while awaiting a chance to go to the United States to study mathematics. 
Through the International Student Services, he went to the University of Iowa, where he completed bachelor's and master's degrees in two years. He also earned his doctorate in mathematics from the University of Chicago in two years. His branch of mathematics was functional analysis in the area of linear operations in Hilbert space.
While in Iowa he met Lenora Liph. They married in 1942 in Minneapolis. She recalls that at the University of Chicago, Mr. Kalisch used to explain George Bernard Shaw's lectures to her. They were classmates of Saul Bellow and other notable people.
Mr. Kalisch spent time after completing his degrees at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J. There he often spoke to Albert Einstein, who liked to converse in German, and visited at his home. He also encountered other world-class mathematicians there, including W. R. Utz and John Von Neumann, who acted as a mentor to the young Kalisch. Later he discussed his work with Paul Erdos, another renowned mathematician.
Mr. Kalisch was fluent in seven languages and also knew Greek and Latin. His mathematical work was published in journals throughout the world. In addition to speaking widely in the United States, he lectured in Europe, Russia, South America, China, Japan and India.
During his career he had teaching appointments at the University of Kansas, Cornell University and the University of Minnesota. He joined the faculty at UCI in 1966. After chairing the mathematics department and retiring in 1988, he was recalled to teach until he retired again about 1990.
Mr. Kalisch took special pride in guiding and nurturing his doctoral students. He attended many of their weddings and some contacted and visited him when he was in the hospital.
He and his wife Lenora lived in Corona del Mar for 32 years and moved to Regents Point in Irvine in 1997. At Regents Point he was nicknamed Moses because of the sandals he wore walking the grounds with his two hiking sticks.
Earlier in his life he enjoyed skiing, backpacking and camping. After retirement, he continued his athletic pursuits with two hours of exercycling and extensive walking each day. He never lost his intellectual curiosity, his inquisitive nature or his sparkling sense of humor, according to his family. Even when his illness caused him to be unable to speak clearly, he would give his son John a mischievous look and wiggle his ears, a talent few possess the elder Mr. Kalisch liked to point out.
He is survived by his wife, Lenora Kalisch of Irvine; his son, John Martin Kalisch of Costa Mesa; and his daughter, Margaret June Kalisch of Costa Mesa.

Lillian Lucille Titman
Lillian Lucille Titman, long time resident of Deerfield, died Aug. 21, of natural causes. She was 94.
Services were held at the University United Methodist Church in Irvine. Burial was in Long Beach at the Forest Lawn Memorial Park.
Mrs. Titman, the daughter of Harry and Ida May Dunham, was born June 21, 1906, in New Salem, Ill., She moved with her family to Aurora, Neb., in June, 1920, at age 14. She graduated from Aurora High School, where she was involved in dramatics and the girls basketball team.
After graduation, she had a small dress shop in Aurora, where she designed and sewed dresses for the women of the town.
On Sept. 20, 1927, she married Chauncey Wayves Titman. They moved to the Titman family farm south of Aurora. Their daughter, Martha June, was born Aug. 27, 1930.
After Mr. Titman's death on April 21, 1941, Mrs. Titman and Martha June moved to a small home in Aurora. Daughter Patricia was born a few months after her father's death on Aug. 29, 1941.
Mrs. Titman went to work at a bank in Aurora in 1944.
She and daughter Patricia moved to Long Beach in 1955. In 1971, Mrs. Titman retired as a cashier at Long Beach Memorial Hospital. She moved to Irvine in 1976. 
In Irvine she became a member of the University United Methodist Church. She was a 50-year member of P.E.O., a member of the Irvine Newcomers Club and Irvine Newcomers Alumni.
In her free time she enjoyed sewing, cooking, needlepoint and bridge.
"She loved her family and had a strong faith in God," said her daughter, Patricia.
Her parents, husband, two sisters, and one brother preceded her in death.
She is survived by her daughters and sons-in-law, Martha and Melvin Blixt, and Patricia and Lincoln Odell; grandchildren, Debra Phillips, Cindy Crowell, Melinda Christofferson, Michael Blixt, Lisa Lowe, and Linda Selstad; and her great-grandchildren, Justin and Brandon Crowell, Lindsey, Leslie, and Mattie Christofferson, Corey and Phoebe Lowe, and Kyle and Jake Selstad.
The family said that memorial donations may be sent to the University United Methodist Church, 18422 Culver Drive., Irvine 92612.

Barney O. Vehige
Irvine resident Barney O. Vehige died Aug. 27 after a six-year battle with cancer. He was 74.
Services and a memorial mass are planned in his home town, St. Charles, Mo. He will be interred there in St. Charles Memorial Gardens. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
Mr. Vehige was born in St. Charles Feb. 28, 1926, to a large Catholic family. He had seven siblings. His father was in maintenance and his mother a homemaker. He attended Washington University in St. Louis, Mo., where he studied engineering but decided against pursuing a career in the field.
Though he was young during World War II, he served in the Air Force in the Kwajalein Islands in the Pacific theater as a weatherman.
He and his wife, Mary Jane, were neighbors growing up in St. Charles. They married June 5, 1948, in St. Charles, where they made their home. Mr. Vehige became interested in bowling and they purchased and ran Arcade Lanes in nearby Crevecoeur. Bowling became his life, said his wife. He was an expert bowler and won the American Bowling Conference (ABC) doubles championship, a national championship, around 1960.
After selling the bowling lanes he worked for 30 years in the Bowling Division of sports equipment company Brunswick Corp. The couple lived in Kansas, Texas and Illinois as well as California. They moved to Northwood in Irvine 19 years ago, the longest time they lived anywhere, according to Mrs. Vehige.
"He loved his work. I always told him his work was his first love," joked his wife.
After retiring from Brunswick, he continued to work for other bowling related companies until three years ago.
The Vehiges were members of St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Irvine.
They did some traveling, often returning to Missouri to visit family. They also enjoyed Las Vegas, Nev.
Mr. Vehige loved dogs, and they had three standard poodles and, most recently, a toy poodle.
He was outgoing in a calm way and won many awards in sales.
"He was a real nice, serene, calm person, very likable. He never met a stranger. Another word to describe him was tenacious. He was like a bull dog. When he got onto something, in a nice way, he never let go," said Mrs. Vehige.
Mr. Vehige is survived by his wife, Mary Jane Vehige of Irvine; his three brothers, Joseph Vehige of La Mesa, and Joe Vehige and Andrew Vehige, both of St. Charles; and his four sisters, Viola Vogt of St. Charles, and Sister Liguori, Sister Margie and Sister Lucy, all nuns who live in St. Charles.

Aug. 31
Margaret Miller
Woodbridge resident Margaret Miller died Aug. 26 of cancer at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach. She was 68.
Services were planned for today, Aug. 31, at the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant, Costa Mesa. Burial was to be at Pacific View Memorial Park in Newport Beach. Arrangements were by Saddleback Chapel, Tustin.
Mrs. Miller was born Margaret Lengyel Sept. 22, 1931, in New Brunswick, N.J. She graduated from New Brunswick High School in 1949 and from Ryder College in Trenton, N.J., in 1950. Then she moved with her parents to San Gabriel. She recalled driving across country in the family's old Studebaker without air conditioning.
In 1955, she returned to New Jersey on vacation and at church ran into an old high school friend, Lou Helmeczi. They married in California in 1956. He was an engineer and worked at Ford Aeroneutronics in Newport Beach. She also worked at Ford Aeroneutronics in marketing, encouraging small businesses to bid on Ford projects. They lived in Costa Mesa and had two daughters. Mr. Helmeczi died of cancer in the 1970s.
In 1980 she met Dick Miller and they were married in 1982. They met in a hair salon, "set up" by the woman who cut both their hair, according to Mr. Miller. After living a short time in Costa Mesa, the couple moved to their home in Woodbridge.
Mrs. Miller was a great cook and loved to cook, said her husband. The two both liked cooking and often did it together as a hobby after retirement. Her specialty was Hungarian cooking, which she learned form her mother, and her trademark dishes were stuffed cabbage and chicken paprikash. Mrs. Miller was outgoing and enjoyed entertaining and meeting people, said her husband. 
When her children were young, Mrs. Miller also enjoyed skiing at Mammoth Mt. The family slept in sleeping bags in an old fishing lodge in Bishop when they went skiing.
The Millers enjoyed traveling together and were able to go to Europe and other destinations.
Mrs. Miller is survived by her husband, Dick Miller of Irvine; her daughters, Debbie Helmeczi of Santa Barbara and Jane Helmeczi of Aliso Viejo; her stepdaughter, Lynn Davey of Chandler, Ariz.; her stepson, Mike Pearson of Newport Beach; and two grandchildren.

Anna-Jean Sweet
Irvine resident Anna-Jean Sweet died suddenly Aug. 23 of natural causes at her home in Woodbridge. She was 71.
Her family and friends will have a celebration of her life on what would have been her 72nd birthday, Saturday, Sept. 9, at her home. Her ashes will be scattered at sea as she requested.
Mrs. Sweet was born Anna-Jean Schaefer Sept. 9, 1928, in Upland. Both her parents and her grandfather were born in San Bernardino and farmed there. When Mrs. Sweet was still a child, the family moved to the Long Beach area where she grew up and learned to love the sea and sailing. As a teen she was featured on the cover of Sea magazine hiking out off the side of a sail boat during a race. She took family kidding because the bathing suit she was wearing was, at the time, considered risque.
It was through sailing that she met her husband, Richard Sweet, who was active in sailing in Long Beach. They married in June of 1947.
They lived most of their married life in Newport Beach. Mr. Sweet was a teacher at Ensign Intermediate School and taught sailing at the Newport Harbor Yacht Club in the summers. He also started the sailing program at UC Irvine.
Mrs. Sweet was the classic full-time mother and housewife while her children were young, according to her son Larry Sweet. When Fashion Island opened about 1965 she took a job at Robinson's and stayed for 18 years as a salesperson in clothing. 
"She had a blast working and kept many of those friendships going after her retirement and still met regularly," said her son.
Mrs. Sweet stayed in Newport Beach about a year after her husband died in 1990 and then moved to Woodbridge in Irvine. About that time she also became active at the Oasis Senior Center in Corona del Mar. She ran the travel program there and in June completed a term as president of the center and was still on the board.
She loved travel and enjoyed leading the groups from the center. She was outgoing and liked to keep people involved.
"She really worked at making it fun for everyone," said her son.
She also enjoyed mah-jongg and bridge. She had taken up the ukelele this summer and was pleased with her progress. She looked forward to playing with a group from the Oasis Center.
She also worked at keeping the sometimes far flung threads of the family connected.
"She was really sharp that way," said her son.
Mostly people will remember the way she made people feel comfortable and part of things, which was one of her real talents, he added.
Mrs. Sweet is survived by her sons, Larry Sweet of Costa Mesa and James M. Sweet of San Diego; her daughters, Sandy Boxer of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Barbi Sweet of Seattle, Wash.; and three grandchildren.
The family asked that memorial donations be made to the Oasis Senior Center, 800 Marguerite, Corona del Mar 92625.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: