Miscellaneous Los Angeles County, California Obituaries


First Name:
Last Name:
Helen Hinkle Dies at 89
Her many friends in Culver City will be saddened to learn of the death of Helen Hinkle, who passed away November 6, 1998 in Sacramento, California.
Helen was born in Ohio in 1910 and moved to Southern California in 1922. She attended UCLA, where she majored in industrial relations and business management, and served as Manager, Industrial Relations at Hartwell Aviation Supply Company on Venice Boulevard for several years. 
She and her husband Tom (who preceded her in death) raised their son Bob and daughter Pat Shea in Culver City, where Helen served on the Civil Service Commission and as charter president of the 107-member Culver City Business & Professional Women’s Club.
The energetic grandmother of five later moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, where she served as assistant administrator of Laurel Grove Hospital in Castro Valley for several years.
Services were held in Folsom, California with interment following at Inglewood Park Cemetary.

Candice (Candy) Parker
Life was cut short for Candice (Candy) Parker who would have been 17 on February 11 [1998].
A fatal accident took her young life on January 3. The accident occurred when the car occupied by Candy and her boy friend John Monroe was struck by another car when exiting the diamond lane of the 405 freeway. The car, rendered out of control, went into a spin striking some trees. The offending driver of the other car sped off and was being sought by police. John is in a coma suffering from multiple broken bones.
The Parker family have been Culver City residents for 45 years. Candy was a student at Culver City High School in the home study program.
She liked to sing and most of all she liked people. Proof of her popularity was in evidence at her funeral which was held Saturday, January 9, where the chapel had standing room only.
Candy leaves her parents Frank and Nola Parker, two sisters, Danielle and Lindsay, her grandparents Robert and Sharon Rajok; also an aunt, Mary (Dale) Espina and uncle Robby Rajcok. many schoolmates and friends. 
Gates, Kingsley & Gates Smith Salsbury, Culver City, were in charge of services followed by internment at Holy Cross Cemetery.

Tony Oliver Kimball
Long Time Culver City Resident Passes
Tony Oliver Kimball was born March 13, 1912, in Carterville, Mo. and passed away November 28, 1998, in Culver City where he had been a resident for 51 years. 
He grew up with vaudeville as his mother was a professional dancer and his father a singer doing world tours. Tony, himself was a singer of popular songs.
He loved our city and enjoyed watching it grow. In years past he was the MC for the La Ballona Festival and he and his wife would chaperon the teenage dance. He loved children and especially liked to work with teenagers.
Tony never really retired. He worked in real estate and liked to keep up properties and do repairs.
Survivors include his beloved wife Sue to whom he had been married to for 64 years. He leaves his son, Nick Paige; daughter, Deborah Krelle; three brothers: Julius, Robert and Ron Kimball; granddaughter, April Goodspeed; grandsons Andrew and Zachery Krelle and great grandsons Jared, Cory and Kade Goodspeed. 
His demise was handled by the Neptune Society and his ashes were scattered in the ocean. 

Joel Yudess 
Joel Yudess, infant son of Barry and Laurie Yudess and baby brother of Jordan, 3 1/2, passed away suddenly Wednesday, June 23, 1999 at Brotman Medical Center. Left to mourn are his parents, loving grandmother Reba Yudess and a host of family members and friends. Services were held on Sunday, June 27 at Hillside Memorial Park for the four-month old Joel, and the family asks that contributions in his memory be sent to the SIDS organization (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

Timothy Joseph Layana
Timothy Joseph Layana, 35, beloved husband, father, son and brother. Survived by his wife Tracey, daughter Carley, parents Frank and Carol; brothers Matt, Nick, John and Michael, sisters Melinda Toth and Nancy Affinito. He also leaves his grandmothers, Louise Malloy and Hortense Layana and a multitude of cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and friends who loved him dearly. 
He graduated from Loyola High School and Loyola Marymount University, played professional baseball and was currently teaching and coaching at St. Monica High School. Visitation was Wednesday evening at Gates, Kingsley, Gates, 4220 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City. Hundreds attended a celebration of his life that was held today in the Sacred Heart Chapel, Loyola Marymount University. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to a memorial fund, PO Box 2623, Culver City, CA 90230.
(Died 6/27/1999)  See http://thedeadballera.crosswinds.net/Stats/layanastats.html

Civic Leader Ronald H. "Brick" Coombs Dies
.....Ronald H. "Brick" Coombs, 89, long-time Culver City resident and civic leader, died Sunday, Nov. 7 [1999]  after a prolonged battle with Alzheimer’s Disease.
Coombs, known for years as "Brick" because of his dark red hair, and often mistaken for entertainer Red Skelton, was a past president of the Culver City Bar Association, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Lions Club and a member of the local chapter of the Red Cross. 
The son of Culver City pioneer Dan F. Coombs, the first mayor of the city and a councilmember for 13 years, Coombs and his younger brother Charles (Chick) were preschoolers when the family moved here from Alhambra in the early 1900s.
Coombs’ mother, Fleda was the first president of the Culver City PTA in 1917, and his uncle Bill became the city’s police chief.
In the late 1930s, Coombs attended Los Angeles College of Law, and in February 1939 was admitted to practice in the courts. When he started his law practice, Coombs shared space with the only other attorney in town. Then in the mid-1940s, he opened an office in the Meralta Theater complex.
In 1947 Coombs survived a small plane crash en route to a fishing trip in Mexico and was rescued three days later with broken arms and legs.
In 1953 Coombs bought his law firm’s current building, a distinctive ranch-style house converted to office space. In 1972 his son became a partner in the firm which is today known as Coombs & Coombs, Inc.
He later became an author, writing more than 70 books on topics as diverse as aerospace and children’s subjects.
Coombs was preceded in death by Esther, his wife of over 50 years, who passed away on April 12, 1990. He is survived by his son Ronald E. Coombs, daughter Judy Partridge and grandchildren David Coombs, Scott Odle, Laurie Lombardo, Heather Coombs and Culver Coombs.
Services were held Thursday, Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. at Gates Kingsley Gates Smith Salsbury Chapel, 4220 S. Sepulveda Blvd. with interment in Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Bonnie Melendres Dies at 75
Bonnie Melendres, a 50-year resident of the Lindberg Park area, died at home Sunday evening after a courageous battle with cancer.
She worked for many years with the Veterans Administration, and was preceded in death by her husband, Bud.
Melendres was a long-time member of University Christian Church.
She is survived by her sisters Louise Witt and Maxine Keith.
Services were held at University Christian Church in Ladera Heights on Thursday, Nov. 11 [1999] at 11 a.m. and interment at Holy Cross Cemetery.

Clifford R. Bollman
A Loss to Culver City
Clifford R. Bollman, a long-time Culver City resident and civic leader who moved to our city in 1931, passed away Oct. 15 [1999] at the age of 91.
Bollman attended college at North Dakota State in Fargo, N.D. and was a top athlete in football, ice hockey and boxing. He was a Golden Gloves boxing champion and in 1928 he was a contender in the boxing tryouts for the Olympics. Bollman was a participant in the ROTC andwas a retired Captain in the U.S. Army where he served in WW II.
After his move to Culver City, Bollman worked in the movie studios and developed an interest in public speaking. After graduation from a Dale Carnegie course, he became a well-respected Dale Carnegie instructor for many years. The City Council honored him in 1964 for teaching its many residents the courses for over 15 years. He is well known for teaching leadership courses using the Carnegie method to many top Chief Executive Officers (CEO's) throughout the United States.
Bollman had been active in civic affairs in the late sixties serving as president of the Culver City Chamber of Commerce in 1967, and president of the Culver City Rotary Club from 1969-1970, where he was their oldest member until his death.
His wife of 58 years, Esther, passed away in 1993. Two sisters, Helen Call of Orange, Calif., and Virginia Ripley of Oceanside, Calif., and three nephews and three nieces survive Bollman.
Memorial services were Saturday, Oct. 23, at the Culver Community Church, 11312 Washington Blvd.

Morris Dodd Dies
On June 10 [2000], Morris Ellis Dodd slipped away without pain in the presence of his family. He was the fourth child born to the late Kermit Dodd and Alta Dodd of Nauvoo, Ala, on April 20, 1940.
Dodd was a man always willing to help anyone whether it was a family member or a complete stranger whose car had broken down. He loved to tinker in his garage and was able to fix just about anything, especially cars.
After completing his naval service with an honorable discharge, Morris met Joann Galegor, and on Dec. 34, 1962 the couple were married. They had two daughters, Kimberlee Ellen Dodd and Cynthia Marie Dodd Escovedo.
Dodd’s death came as a shock to many people, but it came as a sad end to his family, who knew the suffering he went through since his accident 30 years ago that left him wheelchair-bound.
People’s advocate can best describe Dodd. If he knew someone was being mistreated, he would give his all to bring justice and peace to the situation. He loved people and loved helping those in need. He belonged and contributed to many organizations.
Dodd leaves behind to mourn him his adoring wife Joann, his daughters Kimberlee and Cynthia, two son-in laws Stan Murray and Lee Escovedo, a grandson Shane Ellis Murray, a granddaughter Rain Marie Escovedo, his mother Alta, a sister Vera Sue Brown and her family, a brother Douglas and his family, his mother-in-law Maxine Burton, his sister-in-law, Judy Fulsom and her family, and many dear friends and a host of other people who just knew "the man in the electric wheelchair."
A memorial service was held on June 14 at Vista del Rey Christian Church. At the service Dodd’s grandson Shane was overcome by emotion at losing his grandfather, the person he called his best friend. Young Murray wanted to be just like his grandfather, who he called a caring, loving man, able to fix anything for anyone.
Young Murray says that his grandfather was always there for him. When he was sick, Dodd would bring his grandson his favorite ice cream. When he needed help with his homework, it was his grandfather who was there to help him. Murray says he will miss his grandfather more than anyone will ever know. 
The family wishes to extend their appreciation and gratitude to all of the friends, associates, and family members for all of their support and condolences.
The family would also like to thank the city council for adjourning its June 12 council meeting in memory of Dodd.
Contributions in Dodd’s memory may be made to the UCLA-Medical Services Department, Peter V. Ueberroth Building, 10945 Le Conte Ave., Room 3132, Los Angeles, CA 90024.

Search this massive database of obituaries, cemeteries, and death records: